would need experienced eyes please

I need "experienced eyes" opinion on this player, and if interesting, how to play him, please.

Little context first.  My Play-off spot is secure now and i am looking at some signings for next season in L2 (I will get that promotion!) . Important note, I follow @Rashidi's "Club DNA approach" philosophy for signing my players.  My philosophy is "Intelligent players" with Bravery (I follow his line of thought: a player should be brave enough so he would take and try a 50/50 challenge).  Also, i don't use "exotic" roles on my save either. Actually, i never used exotic roles anywhere anyway... Poacher/DLF is my basic combo (or target man/poacher cause i had the possibility to do it).  I'd say it's probably because i don't understand the roles enough. Tetraqusita and Enganche and the like are just "options" i never used.  I always have the same way of playing: KISS! Keep It Simple Stupid!  If i can't understand something, it cannot be simple (to me) so, out the window! So, that is the important context.  Now, where your help would be welcomed....

That guy came and knocked on my door for a trial.  I obliged because i'v been doing trials since the beginning, having only 1 scout + his boss.  So, i look at him...

image.png

Thing is, don't know how to look at him as a player playing that particular role.  When I look at him through my "club DNA & Philosphy" lense though, here is what I see: 

1) L2's "magic number" should be 11.  So, any key attribute above 11 is good.

2) Other than Natural fitness, he is physically pretty average but he should be able to hold is own

3) He have good Vision and Composure.  I like that almost as much as his Work rate and Team work.  Not to mention his leadership that is a nice bonus

4) He is technically not marvellous but First touch and Technique should be right on the nose for L2

5) He don't have the inconsistency tags (club philosophy is: inconsistency tags=out!) and he even like playing big games!

6) Personnality wise, i am happy with Fairly Professionnal, i am slowly changing my squad personnality toward Professionnal so...

7) Problem 1: Determination is low.  I can't give him some by tutoring because he is too old but, because i have a fair number of players with very good Determination now, he should get a little over time

8) Problem 2: for all my players, i ask Bravery of 9 ( @Rashidi 's approach but the floor note is my own decision).  Never less than that.  (I accepted a 5 for one of my ST BUT he is exploding (19 acc/16 pace), He is a Poacher with important PPM for me: Move into channel and finally, he have First touch of 15 and Finishing of 15 and a Work rate of 16)

9) Important side note not "player only" related.  I plan to stay in L2 for 2 years, at least, to stabilize things

So, now that you know "all there is to know", I would like your experienced eyes to help me with my dilemma...

1st, is the guy an interesting prospect to sign as a False Nine at all?  I see most Key Attributes are/should be above or very close to average for L2 (i.e. 11) but the Secondary Attributes should be below that level.  I know that there is more to a role than the Key Attributes SI put forward hence, the Bravery personnal pref i put for example, but there is way more to that (example: For Poacher, SI don't tag Work rate but i found that low Work rate give a player that stay at a fixed point waiting for the ball to arrive, never reallly trying to make himself available).

2nd, If he is a "good False Nine" how to i integrate him into my squad?  I don't have a Shadow Striker (I read this is the usual "Pairing" F9/Shadow ST), so how should I integrate him?  My front line is a 1-2 diamond with AP-At, DLF-Su, Paocher-At.  All my AMs are "decent" basic AMs too (other than AP).  Does a False-nine/Poacher with AM-At would be good (instead of the DLF/Poacher combo i use)?  Should i just force my "decent" AMs into Shadow Strikers?

Well, that's that! any hints would welcomed :)

Tks in advance

BL

I read the post and looked at his attributes, while ignoring his best role and position at first, to see how I might play him based on his attributes only, with no preconceptions, and False Nine (duh) was the conclusion.

For League Two I would certainly be interested in this player. His Decisions, Bravery and Determination are poor, no doubt, and I think your Club DNA approach is sound, and he doesn't fit. I'd be interested in the final scouted values.

I'm in League Two as Port Vale and this guy would be a good one at this level I think. But those poor attributes are really poor. His OTB, Teamwork, Vision, Work Rate and Composure are really good for the division though. He's a conundrum. His attributes suggest he will do a job, but be prone to boneheaded moves, and won't win any 50-50s.

If I signed him, I would look to play him as a F9 as part of a front two. I see him drifting around and creating chances for an Advanced Forward or Poacher, which you already use. He should do that very well. Probably bang in a few himself.  I think his main issues will be off the pitch, clubhouse chemistry sort of stuff if you've stuck to your DNA. But on the pitch I think he'd be an assist machine in League Two.

If he is asking for anything south of 30k a year, I'd sign him, especially as a newly promoted side. If I were about to go up to League One, I'd have to give it more thought. I'd wait until the full numbers come in, because if every one of the unknowns ends up on the bottom of the range, he doesn't look as good.

For me, there isn't much functional difference on the pitch between a DLF and a False Nine. I would just change the role when this guy plays, and give your current DLF a run as the F9 too, in case he might perform better?

@onionbag

Just saw your post.  His 1 week trial is over, here are the numbers (i changed the currecny to UK pound for you since it's probably the one you use):

image.thumb.png.a9efd3e414e84dc8ab07b988c12911cd.png

image.thumb.png.45b0a9806e2e0563789b45922e52eb20.png

Club chemistry will change drastically with the promotion, all the players i have on my shortlist for that are either fairly professionnal or determined.  Anyhow, even my current captain will be drop at the end of the season, because he wouldn't cut i in L2t. I know my 1st year will be tough, and not only because of the level of play, also because my squad will need to get together too but anyway, i plan to stay in L2 at least 2 years before pushing up for L1 (instead of pushing as hard as possible like i did so far).

tks for the inputs.

BL

Did you play him in your reserves? How did he do?

Those are some stiff wage demands. I'd look to shave that down and highly incentivize his contract. See if he bites. I'd hesitate to exceed 50k, but then again I'm a cheap bastard. But maybe you're flush with cash, and those star ratings suggest you'll need some other new players in as well. I think he is certainly worth a punt, especially if you can get him on reasonable wages. I believe this player would perform well in League Two.

The striker you described sounds fantastic, better than any I have and I will probably go up. So you need a strike partner that can feed him the ball. I think old Stuart would do that job, and on a free, there isn't much risk, aside from wages perhaps.

il y a 7 minutes, onionbag a dit :

maybe you're flush with cash

I have plenty of room for wages (especially since a lot of my current squad have their contracts ending this year and won't be renewed

image.thumb.png.5e380dc136f53a5e95323b7b16a0f0ad.png

Nonetheless, board accepted upgrade of our Youth level (we don't have a U23 yet!).  Cost should be about 825k£.

Revenues/expenses so far are pretty balanced

image.thumb.png.ba1527c26ae1428235a513a7eda0508e.png

But difficult to have more people in the seats cause there is not a lot of room left.

image.thumb.png.010908d0afbd18014c86d03751a1a761.png

Overall, i crunched my wages numbers and for 8 players, i will have 650k£ total to use.  This number is based on a base crowd of 85% and no other incomes at all from cups/tv/etc.

Anyhow, tks a lot for your input about the player and how to integrate him in my tactic.  It is very appreciated.

BL

Archived