Under 23 Teams for those that start without

Quick question - can teams gain U-23 teams, or am I doomed to nnever have one? My Newport County team has just been promoted back to the football league and I'm rather hopeful to get a new u-23 team, but it doesn't loo like that is happening. Am I doomed never to have one, or what are the stipulations?

Clubs do offer the option to have an U23 side compete in a league further up the pyramid. I think it depends on what country/league you're in, and the club itself. Until then you just have to organise regular friendlies. The English league has these reserves divisions (check it under the quick flick drop down menu for leagues and cups in your save), but it seems a bit arbitrary which lower league teams compete - probably based on the real-life situation.

I got one in my first premier league season with Lincoln. Just magically popped into existence when the Checkatrade groups were drawn. I expect that happens because premier league teams u23 sides are required to participate in Checkatrade.

So far we're not participating in the u23 league though (second premier league season under way). Would be great if that happened.

17 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Question is why do you want one?

I’d assume to build up and bring through good young players, also you can use their matches to keep players in your first team match fit or ease them back in from injury! 

2 minutes ago, Matteh said:

I’d assume to build up and bring through good young players, also you can use their matches to keep players in your first team match fit or ease them back in from injury! 

You can do that with the under 18’s though? If they aren’t good enough for the first team when they too old for the under 18’s, why keep them at your club? Either need to be out on loan getting games or getting minutes in the first team.

FM isn’t like real life, players have a set PA, so there is only so much you can do. The only benefit of the under 23’s is like you say fitness, but even then with good squad management should be able to do that with the first team, or arrange pointless friendless mid season with really poor teams.

11 hours ago, craiigman said:

Question is why do you want one?

Hypothetical:

I have 22 players in my squad in a basic 4-4-2, 2 players for each position, but my u-18 winger (3rd choice in CA stars) isn't far behind the other two. I want to keep him at the club for valuable minutes, and in case either of the other two get injured, but he's only realistically going to play 5-10 games in a season. So I want a u-23 team to farm him into, so I don't have to manage his playing time and fitness. I want realism, I don't want FM-ism. I'm a professional club in a professional league. Granted I have no money, but still, why don't I have the u-23 team?

Yeah, I've got a squad of 34, basically 3 for each position including youths. My 3rd choices frequently need to step up to the bench to cover injuries, and my 2nd choices get plenty mid-week matches. I want them all match fit all the time, so regular reserve friendlies are very necessary, even if many of them have only 4 or 5 players in amongst the greys. I have an increasing number of 18 year olds who don't qualify for the youth squad but who still have plenty potential to make the first team squad in time; hence they need to be in an U23 squad. They play those friendlies but reserve competitive fixtures would improve their attributes and personalities better.

4 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Yeah, I've got a squad of 34, basically 3 for each position including youths. My 3rd choices frequently need to step up to the bench to cover injuries, and my 2nd choices get plenty mid-week matches. I want them all match fit all the time, so regular reserve friendlies are very necessary, even if many of them have only 4 or 5 players in amongst the greys. I have an increasing number of 18 year olds who don't qualify for the youth squad but who still have plenty potential to make the first team squad in time; hence they need to be in an U23 squad. They play those friendlies but reserve competitive fixtures would improve their attributes and personalities better.

Have you got any evidence that under 23 fixtures improve their attributes and personalities? 

On 1/10/2018 at 06:00, phnompenhandy said:

Exactly this. So what to do?

Archived