learning from the competition

So i'm not trying to intentionally insight an angry response of "flames" or "trolls" or whatever else their called, but I just wanted to make a couple of comments about i've noticed in the newly announced CM09 in the interesting of improving FM. I'll understand if SI doesn't want to talk about the competition on it's own message boards, but my intention is to suggest new avenues of development as opposed to deride FM09.

Well, for anyone keeping up to date with CM09, they may have noticed that the new version has finally been announced. While i'm firmly in the FM camp and strongly believe that CM is not even close in it's ability to simulate the soccer world (particularly over the long term), I am interested to see how its development is going because of some interesting features (like the analysis tool they have). I guess it's like FIFA vs PES in that back in the old ages i was of course a FIFA fan, but flirted with PES for the last few years as FIFA began to neglect the PC (and not i feel burned by both products).

The new version of CM, along with the seemingly obligatory 3D match engine, also comes with a seemingly significant graphical upgrade. Of interest to some, is also that it's due for release in April with a data update for CM08 beforehand.

Now, unlike others, I'm not going to question the FM business model and suggest that FM should be released later so that it's "bug free". I think the version released is always playable, highly polished, and comes out at the right time; just after the new season is beginning to take shape and i beginning wishing i could take charge.

However, I do think that FM could learn a thing or two from it's competitors, CM and FifaManager. CM's match analysing tool has phenomenal potential (although it was pretty poorly implemented), and given the level of depth to tactics in FM08, i think that some sort of tool like that would be very appreciated. To be honest, once i discover something close to a winning set of 4 or 5 tactics, I don't tweak the sliders ever again (i haven't fiddled with tactics to any great degree since around april this year).

The other feature, and the one i feel is absolutely essential in the next version, is an enhanced graphical display. I'm not talking about a new skin, I'm talking about a more adaptable and more "media-like" representation of soccer in all the windows. FM still feels too much like a spreadsheet, and while i love the clarity that it brings, i can't help but feel distanced from reality when i compare how FM represents competitions, teams, players and news, with how they are presented in the paper, television and of course, the internet. More windows or "widgets" that you can pull up or dismiss, more images throughout the screens, more of the bells, whistles and fanfare associated with football. Graphics in media have exploded over the past ten or so years, and i don't think that FM has kept up with it's "immersion" level. Certainly, there should be clear spread-sheet like tables available so that the manager may most effectively marshall his troops, but i still believe their is opportunity to more effectively use graphics, tables, images and colour throughout the presentation of the game.

i've been keeping tabs on CM09 and i was disappointed with them for belatedly announcing an April release...

The ProZone tool which i believe you are talking about was a fantastic addition and would be awesome in FM :)

The gap between FM and CM was very wide to start with but Eidos and BSG are closing the gap....

I have always bought both and glad to say FM is still on top but I do fear that may change! Much like Pro Evo and Fifa.

same with me but fifa this is year is MUCH better than pro this year :)

especially on ps3

Not sure about the graphics thing. If it's over done it can turn the game imo, to a childish feeling and this would damage the FM brand. I don't mind at all how 'news' is presented, doesn't matter what the news. However the sections for transfer rumours is in 09, seperating that from the main news. Then you have your divisions 'newspaper' in its own section. If you have to click here and click there to find things, you may in the end never find, and it can get very tiresome. Not to mention, little stories you find interesting may never be found if you had to click on a variety of different things, where as, if they are just sitting right in front of you like currently, it is easy to click once and it's there. Maybe in a future version new graphics could be incorporated to give it a 'fresh' feeling, as long as it does not distract the developers from the game, and it is not over done to the point i feel like i'm playing a childs game in the middle of the annual mardi gras.

Archived