Inside Forward - Stay Wider

Hi guys, 

I just have a quick question about the Inside Forward role and the player instruction of 'Stay Wider'. 

I've seen this suggested a few times on here (I know this is entirely dependent on player, formations, desired style of play etc) but I was just wondering what difference this individual set up has to a winger. 

Will the Inside Forward still look to cut inside? Will they sit as wide as a winger or would they be slightly narrower?

Basically, any more information on this subject would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

As far as I know this only influences the player starting point (wide/neutral/narrow)

If your IF is told to stay wider, and is being marked by oppos fullback, it's likely there will be more space between that fb and the dc on that side. This space can be exploited as it's easier to pass to your IF and/or give the IF more time to control the ball before being closed down.

The cut inside instruction will still be active, but is an on ball instruction.

Just now, jdreyer said:

As far as I know this only influences the player starting point (wide/neutral/narrow)

If your IF is told to stay wider, and is being marked by oppos fullback, it's likely there will be more space between that fb and the dc on that side. This space can be exploited as it's easier to pass to your IF and/or give the IF more time to control the ballbefore being closed down.

The cut inside instruction will still be active, but is an on ball instruction.

Thank you. 

That makes sense and obviously that space that is created could also be exploited by the CAM or on rushing midfielders as well. 

Basically, in modern football anyone trying to rake advantage of the half space which is the space between opponent's fb and cb in either side. So with stay narrower your IF is going to play on the half space make a dilemma for either the cb or the fb to close down on him. With stay wider like Guardiola's Barcelona did with Pedro and Henry IF are staying near the line forcing the cb get out of position and create holes on the half space for your AM or CM to exploit.

Archived