Playing out from the back, then playing in the wings?

Liking the idea of taking relegation candidates and shutting the mouth of the press with a survival, I made a save with Alaves of La Liga. Now, their team is sort of strange. They have 2 sweeper keepers who are indeed comfy with the ball, the defenders can be employed as bland CD-s, as they have OK-ish composure and technique. The team is rich in the DLP/Regista types, but has no good ball-winners. Its main strength are wingers, while the strikers are all good at heading. Would it be possible to carry out a style of play as stated in the title- that is: transition between a possession-based start of an attack, with the ending being a cross from the wing to the lone (defensive) forward and an onrushing AM behind?

What you're describing sounds like it could be mixed up as either a style that builds from the back and recycles possession, or as one that could still counter attack quite well. A DLP could receive the ball of the centre backs before then spraying the ball high and wide, and being in a position to receive recycled balls too. That's very similar to how I use Santi Cazorla in my Arsenal side.

1 minute ago, llama3 said:

What you're describing sounds like it could be mixed up as either a style that builds from the back and recycles possession, or as one that could still counter attack quite well. A DLP could receive the ball of the centre backs before then spraying the ball high and wide, and being in a position to receive recycled balls too. That's very similar to how I use Santi Cazorla in my Arsenal side.

Assuming you use a DLP as the more stationary player, what do you pair him with, in the middle?. My initial idea involved RGA and a CM-D. Regrettably, I lack a strong tackler. The formation is an asymmetric 4-2-3-1.

1 hour ago, Bunkerossian said:

Assuming you use a DLP as the more stationary player, what do you pair him with, in the middle?. My initial idea involved RGA and a CM-D. Regrettably, I lack a strong tackler. The formation is an asymmetric 4-2-3-1.

I play a standard 4-2-3-1, with Cazorla the DLP(S) alongside a CM(D) Coquelin normally - although I can change the personnel around within those roles and duties for variation. My CM(D) has play less risky passes, to encourage play to go through the DLP. Often Cazorla is just behind play and regularly the ball is recycled to him, which he then switches from side to side.

11 hours ago, llama3 said:

I play a standard 4-2-3-1, with Cazorla the DLP(S) alongside a CM(D) Coquelin normally - although I can change the personnel around within those roles and duties for variation. My CM(D) has play less risky passes, to encourage play to go through the DLP. Often Cazorla is just behind play and regularly the ball is recycled to him, which he then switches from side to side.

I'm not aware on the latest transfers of Arsenal, but do you use Giroud up front, or someone similar? My striker is a hard-working, tall player, so most similar to Olivier.

58 minutes ago, Bunkerossian said:

I'm not aware on the latest transfers of Arsenal, but do you use Giroud up front, or someone similar? My striker is a hard-working, tall player, so most similar to Olivier.

I vary my forwards - depends on who I am playing, tactical considerations etc. First choice is normally Sanchez, but Giroud has 17 goals by the end of January, and has played quite a bit too.

Archived