Long term gameplay

Hi...

I’m thinking of buying this game as its on sale at the moment, I don’t know anything about ice hockey but looks fun none the less and I love the FM series, however I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that the longevity of gameplay is hampered by salary caps and not being able to expand the playing arena, therefore small teams are unable to progress through the leagues and compete with the bigger teams/

Can anyone let me know if these are genuine issues or if fixes have been patched in?

7 hours ago, Weller1980 said:

Hi...

I’m thinking of buying this game as its on sale at the moment, I don’t know anything about ice hockey but looks fun none the less and I love the FM series, however I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that the longevity of gameplay is hampered by salary caps and not being able to expand the playing arena, therefore small teams are unable to progress through the leagues and compete with the bigger teams/

Can anyone let me know if these are genuine issues or if fixes have been patched in?

Hockey's not like football/soccer, the Leagues considered the top Leagues (NHL/KHL) don't have promotion/relegation; there's no such thing as promotion/relegation in any NA League, and not all European Elite Leagues have it (also, only the NHL has a Salary Cap)

1 hour ago, kidhander1983 said:

Well, many leagues have a salary cap. Mostly minor leagues in NA

Oops! I stand corrected!

I guess because I never play the NA minor leagues, and few people do, I was just outright wrong! HaHa

Sorry about that Weller/thanks for the correction kidhander

I have only played NHL so I don't know about the latter. There is no promotion so you cannot build a small club to glory.

Within the NHL, the competition is great and the draft/lottery system makes the teams very even and it is great fun to watch some teams perform badly, go to re-build mode and then prosper 5-8 years later.

I'm in 2030 in my NY Rangers and it is beginning to be a little easy now. There are very few players left in the League from pre-game drafts, so it is beginning to show that the AI is not quite as good as a human at scouting, drafting and trading. Nevertheless, the game has given me more than 14 seasons of great, great fun with some very tough strategic and management decisions and it is still a very good game even 14 seasons in - so go ahead.

I should note that I know absolutely nothing about hockey tactics and almost never touch the line tactics or practice. If you are good at those parts of the game, you will surely be more dominant earlier than I was :)

• 1 year later...

Archived