A few basic tactical balance questions

Quick background: Last played FM seriously in the 13/14 incarnation. Really like the new version, crucially seems a lot harder with more depth than I remember.

I'm just starting to play around with a formation I want to use for season 2 and need to know if something I'm thinking about is important or irrelevant before continuing.

It's a 3 central defender formation and I'm wondering if the strength of each foot is important in the positioning of the centre backs. I have 2 strong centre backs both of whom are left footed and a third promising youngster, right footed, who I see as a backup and development project with managed game time for this season. I'm currently scouting for a 3rd starting centre back and another rotation/backup and most of my preferred options are also left footed. 

Let's assume 3 starting CBs, all left footed. 2 have a weak right foot, 1 a reasonable right peg. Were I to go this route should the reasonable be the DCR? I may want to place him elsewhere based on attributes if it's not a serious consideration. Is three left footed CBs just plain bad regardless of strength of weaker foot and side preference? In that case I'll recruit a right footer. This is a question I imagine being very important in real life tactics but maybe less so in the simulation. What are your experiences with this in-game and your advice?

Secondly I want to build from the back and all my left sided players ( LCB, LWB, LMC ) seem to be more adept at controlling the ball and moving it forward (first touch, decisions, passing etc.) than their right sided counterparts. Therefore I'm considering exploit the left flank and am wondering how strongly this skews the play? Is it deep play, attacking play or all over the pitch? My right sided players are as good as the left, they just have different strengths. To be honest this one I could probably have experimented with in the friendlies whereas for the 1st I want to get on with my recruitment and prototype tactic building before pre-season starts. Just included it because it is of a kind with my first question.

Anyway looks like a nice community, thanks for your help.

As for the CBs.  I'm not sure it matters 100% irl most players judge their strongest foot for a tackle and position themselves accordingly.  Although I do remember an Inter defender...the name escapes me, saying that in a pair of 2 it worked well if his partner was strong on the opposite foot, but the left footer on the right and the right footer on the left because it keeps that centre better covered.  I'm not sure whether the game really takes direction of challenge into account so much because you see so many challenges from behind.  

IMO, I stick the lefty on the left and righty on the right where possible as they tend to end up to covering out wide a fair bit more in a back 3. not be too fussed about the centre guy.

As for the "Exploit Option" I used to use it a fair bit until I hovered over it one time and it says that it simply raises the mentality a touch towards attacking, of the players it applies to.  I always assumed it focused passing to that area somewhat too, but this has shaken my belief in that until someone can confirm.

When you go to "development --> tactics" on the player screen you can see if the player has a preference to what side in the DC position he is playing on. Not sure if it matters much.

As for the preferred foot I don't think there is one good solution. If you build from the back and want to exploit the left side then your left DC will find it easier to pass to the left when he has a strong left foot. Valid when under pressure of course, else he has enough time to turn.

If your left sided players are good in build up let them have the support roles and play more central/narrow (e.g. AP, IF, no winger) while your right side could be more attacking/providing width. Then you would not necessarily need to exploit the left flank as they will be involved in build-up naturally. Just an idea, you should see how it looks in the match.

I am also playing a 3 man defence in my game and I have had the opposite "problem" all my good centre backs were right footed and I couldn't find a competent left footer anywhere at a price I could afford.  Anyway, I have come to the conclusion it doesn't matter a great deal as I have had the best goals against record in 4 of my 5 seasons in the game so far.

Archived