Advice on defensive instructions

Hi guys,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice on what defensive instructions to use. I'm finding watching the games very annoying because no matter what tactics I use my defence is a joke. So many times my fullback is beaten and it seems every team turns into Barca when they get into the final third (ie one touch football and within 5 moves they are through one-on-one.

I'm playing as Southampton and generally use a 4-2-3-1 (control / flexible). I'll play with both CB's as DCB (def) and with my fullbacks as fullbacks (sup). I'll have two CM's, one as a DLP (Sup) and the other as BWM (def). Against the bigger teams I'd have the same but drop the two CM's to DM's with the same roles. I'm using a high line with 'less closing down' but it nothing seems to work whatever instructions I give for closing down. My CB's just wander all over the place when all I instruct is to hold position. I've tried with deeper and with high line and it gets the same results. Kinda puts me off trying to be this specific and I feel I might as well not tinker with stuff like this.

What do other people use with regards to defensive instructions? I have a bit of a hard time matching up tactics and instructions and end up over-thinking what might be cancelling each other out.

I feel the CD's in this ME tend to close down quite dumb and leave the space behind them and when you play two striker formations they just carve you up no matter what you do. That's why I don't play this formation anymore, or only play it when go against one striker formation.

No matter what I do , the CD will always stupidly run towards the player with the ball and your MC who is on defensive duty will never stay with the player (mostly F9) until the end of the move.

Archived