Building a team around one player

Need some advice on how to build my team/tactic around my star man. The aim is to get him on the ball as much as possible.

The player in question is Bernardo Silva. He can dictate play from the middle of the park but is also very capable playing on the flanks. I'm looking to him to become my Messi. He has great dribbling skills and decent finishing, so I want to take advantage of that.

My current system a structured/standard 4-5-1. 

TI: Play out of defence, narrow, shorter passing and much more closing down.

SK-S ( Dis to CB, Roll it out)

CB-d x2

WB-s (play wider) they are pushed up in WB strata 

DM-D (few risky passes, close down much less)

BBM-s (Shoot less) in mcl

CM-s (shoot less, dribble less, hold position, fewer risky passes) in mcr

IF-s (Shoot less, get further forward) in aml

AP-a (roam, fewer risky passes, sit narrow  and close down less) in amr. This is where I have Silva atm.

CF-s (Shoot less, tackle harder)

He has started of ok but I feel that he could do much more both in terms of scoring and creating. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I think you've limited the rest of your team too much.

1. Why not just use a Anchor Man if giving those PI's to a DM-D?
  2. Whats a CM-S going to do if not allowed to shoot, dribble, play risky passes or make runs?  You already have a limited midfielder in your DM, a second is a waste.
  3. Surely thats a typo and you haven't told your AP-A to play fewer risky passes?  Whats he going to do with it?  If you want him to run at opponents you need to stretch them (not playing narrow) and occupy other defenders so he can isolate and beat his man to draw others out of position, making gaps for your other players.  Watch the game and see what options he has available compared to what you have asked him to do, how many players does he have to beat?  Is he rejecting through ball opportunities too much?

The reason behind the limited roles was to try and get the ball to Silva more. I took risky passes of AP because I wanted him to be more selfish and run with the ball a bit more.

I have come to realise that the CM-s and DM are valid points and they play an important role.

I have changed the DM to Half Back no pi. Also, changed the CM-s to roaming playmaker. But I think a DLP-s would work better. I don't want to over crowd the midfield as I want space for SIlva to sit narrow and work.

How have you selected "Fewer Risky Passes" for a AP?  I've just checked and it's a disabled option for me whatever position or duty I give. 

A playmaker will always see more of the ball, if you add other playmakers he will see a bit less of the ball.  What was wrong with a standard CM-S with no PI's rather than going to the RPM?  There's lots of options, you could do CM-D + DM-S if you want 2 holding players, as your playing structured the DM-S will be a bit less risky and deeper than a CM-S.  As you've told the AP-A to play narrower and roam it might be worth making the RCM a CM-D so they don't occupy the same space, the defend duty would make him play safer but would offer more than your original CM-S + PI's did.

29 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

How have you selected "Fewer Risky Passes" for a AP?  I've just checked and it's a disabled option for me whatever position or duty I give. 

A playmaker will always see more of the ball, if you add other playmakers he will see a bit less of the ball.  What was wrong with a standard CM-S with no PI's rather than going to the RPM?  There's lots of options, you could do CM-D + DM-S if you want 2 holding players, as your playing structured the DM-S will be a bit less risky and deeper than a CM-S.  As you've told the AP-A to play narrower and roam it might be worth making the RCM a CM-D so they don't occupy the same space, the defend duty would make him play safer but would offer more than your original CM-S + PI's did.

Thanks for the advice, I will play around with the set up. 

And sorry it was a typo the AP doesn't have few risky passes. I was typing the roles up from my head and must have mixed it up.

Archived