[FM2016] Premier League - What If? (WIP)

So I was watching the Premier League Years for the 2013/14 season and as a Liverpool fan couldn't help but think 'What if Liverpool had kept Suarez and Sterling and really kicked on from that season?'

That got me thinking about a few more possibilities as well - 'What if Man United had kept and developed Pique and Pogba into the players they are today?' or 'What if Southampton could have held on to a few of their stars for a few more seasons?'

So I decided to make a database with the twenty Premier League clubs that started the 2015/16 season and edit their squads to reflect the best 20 players that have played for them.

I am going to base it on their ability and attributes as of the FM2016 database but if there's interest in this and in editing some older players - I'm thinking Drogba, Lampard, Evra, - to when they were in their at their respective Premier League club I will do so.

I am not too sure if there will be any interest in this at all but I am hopeful and also in need of some help. Where a player has featured for multiple clubs, I have either tried to place at the club where I think he's most associated to or in the case of it being a 'big' club and a 'smaller' club I've generally gone with the smaller to try and create a more competitive league.

This is what I currently have but I am open to debate and also I am sure I have left out some rather obvious players:

premierleague%20whatif_zpsjnjcddnq.png

Arsenal - I am fairly happy with. Bit of a choice between Gibbs and Monreal and maybe looking back now should go with Gibbs for his longevity. Possibly Alex Song as well however I feel West Ham are maybe more in need of him. Out of my 'extras' I think only Ashley Cole, Kolo Toure and van Persie in their prime would add anything to that squad.

Villa - Again quite happy with this unless there is some glaring oversight I've missed.

Bournemouth - Can't help but feeling this will just pretty much be their current squad. Can't think of anyone who has played for Bournemouth but isn't currently there who would add to the squad?

Chelsea - The first few issues I had - Mata, Bertrand, Cech, Lukaku, De Bruyne all could have been at Chelsea or elsewhere. In the end Mata, Bertrand and Cech remained because of length of service however I think Bertrand maybe more of a name for himself at Southampton. A prime Drogba and Carvalho would definitely add to this squad.

Palace - Probably robbed of their star player in Cabaye, I can see this being somewhat similar to Bournemouth in that it will be pretty close to the current squad.

Everton - Mustafi and Fellaini definitely add a lot to the squad as well as my decision to leave Lukaku there rather than return to Chelsea. Maybe a prime Lescott and Pienaar would further improve the squad.

Leicester - Pretty happy with this, not too far from the current title winning side.

Liverpool - The return of Reina, Mascherano, Johnson, Alonso, Gerrard, Sterling, Torres and Suarez definitely strengthens the squad. Looking at it now, dont know why I included Markovic. Will probably replace him with Ibe or a prime Kuyt.

Man City - If only they held on to Jerome Boateng eh? Pretty happy with this although not too sure whether Tevez should go to City or United. Would most likely replace Negredo, Denis Suarez or Guidetti.

Man Utd - Pogba, Pique, di Maria, Ronaldo, Rooney, Kagawa - if United held on to all these players surely they'd be untouchable. Rafael over Darmian maybe?Quite top heavy and have just realised I've forgot Carrick.

Newcastle - Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Carroll return to the Toon. Some good players have been let go in recent years and maybe if these players were all there at the same time, things might be a bit more positive IRL.

Norwich - Still missing a defender for Norwich, squad is quite similar to that IRL.

Southampton - The one I was most interested in, debated about bringing Bale back but he made his name at Spurs. But even so, the return of Clyne, Chambers, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Cork, Ox, Lallana will add a lot to the current stars at St, Mary's.

Stoke - Missing a midfielder still but a very strong squad IMO. Made me realise their weak spots, no out and out full backs and lack of a real goal-scoring striker.

Sunderland - Not much change here from the current squad however Mignolet and Colback returning should definitely strengthen things. Possibly add Defoe to that as well?

Swansea - Totally forgot about Swansea right backs and so will add Naughton and Rangel to that now. And I suppose for a goalkeeper we could use Fabianski and bring Ospina in to the Arsenal squad. Pretty strong squad and if I was to edit 'older' players, would surely have to include Michu.

Spurs - Modric and Bale added to the current Spurs squad will surely make a huge difference. Possibly as strong a squad as Chelsea and Man United IMO. If I go down the road of editing players, van der Vaart and Keane would further add to the squad.

Watford - Pretty similar to the current squad in all honesty.

West Brom - A fairly strong squad IMO, strong defence, some quality in midfield particularly with Borja Valero and Mulumbu returning.

West Ham - Surprisingly found to hard to think of players with them still needing 3 players to complete their squad.

So I think i need most help with Bournemouth, Palace, West Ham, Norwich, Sunderland Watford and possibly Leicester.

Looks like you have Tevez at both Manchester Clubs. Just move him to West Ham then.

You could add Diamanti too.

Tevez is an 'extra' for both squads. In that I don't know whether he'd be more associated with United or City. Good shout on Diamanti.

-----

I have decided to edit some 'older' players to when they were in their prime. I only have as far as FM08 but I am sure anyone still playing today, if I was edit their attributes to what they were up to 8 years then they'll definitely have been in their prime at some stage. Even some current players who are good in the FM2016 database I've edited:

Ronaldo

Torres

Gerrard

Fabregas

Essien

• 2 weeks later...

I love this idea and would love if you followed through on it! I'd suggest leaving out classic players and have no edits to CAs and PAs to truly reflect the what if they kept them scenario and to avoid over and underpowering players.

And as a Watford fan, the only players I would add to our squad are Mariappa from CPFC and Ashley Young from Man Utd

Maybe Tom Cleverley for Watford as well? It was only a loan, but probably the best spell of his career lol

Danny Ings for Bournemouth maybe, came through their youth system...but wasn't there long before moving onto Burnley

Archived