Slightly OT: Resources for finding formations/tactics of the 1960s?

*NB: I put this in the Tactics forums, but it maybe better off in a different forum?

Because today is the 10th anniversary of the death of George Best, there has been some talk on football forums about the "holy trinity" of Best-Law-Charlton.

That "holy trinity" was quite before my time, so I've had to resort to the internet to try and find out some details about it. Does anyone know of any website that has analysed or have any ideas about the Manchester United team of that generation? I think it was 1961-68 that the team played or developed into a team. I'm just curious as to how the tactics of those days were and if they were any different from what we see today. For example, I see a lot of mentions of "Inside forwards", the latest buzzword in modern formations, yet that seemed to have been a regular standard position back then. (Which, kind of makes me feel a bit dumb, cos in typical armchair fan style I'm going 'ooh look at these new ideas' and they're not. ¬_¬)

So far I've found two resources:

http://footballsgreatest.weebly.com/man-utd-1963-68.html

Just gives a brief overview but doesn't go into any great detail.

http://manutd24.co.uk/2011/08/01/retrospective-4-manchester-uniteds-tactics-in-1967/

That one though, is fantastic. It takes an article written by Clive Bond (a coaching staff member at the FA apparently) analysing the team in 1967. It looks pretty nifty and is so far the best thing I've found about this team. From it I can kind of pigeon hole some roles in, if I were to try and replicate it for FM - Such as a 4-3-3, with Two 'hard' Centrebacks, Two mostly defensive focused full backs, A defensive shield (Crerand), a Box to Box Midfielder (Charlton), another B2B midfielder (Best - note, this was before he was moved up front), a winger (Aston), an Inside Forward (Herd / Later Best), and an Advanced Forward (Law). But I have no idea how the United of those days played? Direct, short, mixed? Fast, slow? Etc.

-If anyone has any other resources or websites I can use, I would be very grateful, as my google-fu is linking me to religious websites and numerous fan-forums raving about the Tevez-Ronaldo-Rooney partnership, I'm thinking I must be using the wrong search terms, but even Manchester United 1968 formation/tactics is pulling up nothing for me. =(

For example, I see a lot of mentions of "Inside forwards", the latest buzzword in modern formations, yet that seemed to have been a regular standard position back then. (Which, kind of makes me feel a bit dumb, cos in typical armchair fan style I'm going 'ooh look at these new ideas' and they're not. ¬_¬)

Can't help with resources really, however you aren't being dumb but it is a "new" idea.

Today's Inside Forward differs from the historic Inside Forward. Today, we see wide players cutting inside from the flanks. Historically we are talking 5 forward players - a central forward, two "inside forwards" one on either side, with two further "outside" forwards (or wingers) flanking those inside forwards. A different time period, different formations and roles - relates to such very old formations as the 2-3-5 and W-M https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_(association_football)#2.E2.80.933.E2.80.935_.28Pyramid.29.

Ooh nice resources! Thanks.

Just a bit off topic to this off topic .. topic..

Where do people go for their tactical analysis articles these days? I used to head over to Zonal Marking but Cox seems to have migrated to other sites, same for Jonathan Wilson. I seem to get the odd few crop up in Twitter, but I wonder if there are more that people go to?

Archived