Tackling issues

Can't seem to get a tackle in. Aggressive pressing, getting stuck in, sitting deep, staying on feet, marking tighter, any combination of these fail to give the desired outcome.

The AI tackles my players really easily. Whether it was a timed tackle after careful marking, or it was a last ditch tackle from the "fullback that left a gaping hole in the back but somehow managed to get back in time", they will make the challenge and succeed.

My defenders though, looking at the ME, they will close the players down, but refuse to make a tackle (or are unable to). The opposing player will dance past them (if they're a winger/am/striker) or they will turn around, back to goal, and hold my player off till support arrives.

I want to believe it is a tactical issue, and it probably is, but right now I've tried all possible permutations of the defensive instructions and have not come up with a solution.

Could use some help :(

Right, sorry.

I'm managing Man United, normally I play with a 4-2-3-1, but I've recently switched to a 4-4-1-1 for more balance and defensive stability.

---------------SK(d)--------------

FB(d)---CB(d)---CB(d)---FB(a)

W(A)---DLP(s)---CM(d)---W(s)

----------SS(a)-------------------

-------------------CF(s)----------

TIs I've tried all combinations. At first I tried a high press, high tempo, direct passing game. Kept losing possession (due to high tempo?). Then I switched to a high press, low tempo, short passing game. There wasn't enough penetration and speed in the attack then, because the opposing team got back behind the ball quicker than I could pass it forward. And then they would win a random 50-50/interception and send a long one over the top of my defence. Tried a high tempo counter with low/mixed pressing next, so basically sitting deep to soak up pressure then breaking forward at speed. A defender was always there to head my direct passes away, even when I select "pass into space". Finally I tried a low tempo, low/mixed pressing and sitting deeper, so basically just waiting for the right opportunity to release a player. Players dallied on the ball too long and got dispossessed, even when I set my width to narrow to squeeze the play and give each player more passing options.

PIs are limited to allowing my forwards and wingers to roam, and crossing more often from my fullbacks. Rest are untouched.

There's nothing overly wrong there. My personal preference is not to stretch the Duties as much as you have on the wide with a Defend Duty full back being an Attack Duty Winger as it could leaves a gap on that side when your attacks break down. With a shape like that (and a 4-2-3-1), you need the sort of conservative MCs that you have, which in turn means you can't really get away with an intense pressing game as that will just stretch the gap back to your DCs and mean that they will then need to step out of the defensive line to sweep up long balls or runners.

To beef up tackling intent, just instruct players in safe areas (i.e. not your DCs) to tackle harder.

Archived