Fluctuating Cap

It would be interesting if the salary cap in the NHL would change slightly year to year. I understand there's a whole lot of economics involved and easier said than done, however, it's something that really lacked in EHM2007.

There are a lot of factors that go into the real world Salary cap. Geopolitical and economical factors, how many outdoors games are being played, how many and what markets are being sold out. How big of contracts are the individual leagues getting for TV rights?

I'm not an expert on algorithms. could this be done? possibly. But I think for the first few iterations of the game (assuming this is released yearly like FM) is to either have a base salary cap/floor and neglect inflation, or set a flat inflation of say, 5%.

• SI Staff

We don't model inflation even in FM, so I would not expect the financial model to get anywhere that complicated for EHM either. Fluctuating cap has similar issues as there are so many factors involved with regards to some things that cannot be modelled in the game, so this is not something we're likely to implement.

Like I said in the OP I understand there's a lot of economics involved, but it could be something as simple as the whole economic world goes up or down a few % each season, as in all expenses (except salaries of course) and all income would follow the same %. In FM there isn't really a need as the main football leagues do not have caps, whilst the main hockey league does. Not a deal breaker, but just a little something that would add to the immersion.

We don't model inflation even in FM, so I would not expect the financial model to get anywhere that complicated for EHM either. Fluctuating cap has similar issues as there are so many factors involved with regards to some things that cannot be modelled in the game, so this is not something we're likely to implement.

Lack of fluctuating cap will cause some issues with long term contracts. Main reason for NHL GM's to make long term contracts is that they believe cap will rise in long term. For example Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews made long term contracts with cap hit of over 10 million dollars. Hawks will be in trouble next season, but GM expect that it will be beneficial for them during the contract because cap will rise during the length of contract. Basically 'inflation' should be quite easy to model through random cap fluctuation, like every June there could be randomized number for cap, something like 0-5%. Give it a thought, because without some changes to yearly cap managing top teams with long term contracts to top players could get tricky.

How come games like Madden and NBA can do fluctuating caps, and have been for a decade now, but EHM is unable to? Just curious. I would just like to give a big contract to a younger player, and have my management pay off as the cap rises.

How come games like Madden and NBA can do fluctuating caps, and have been for a decade now, but EHM is unable to? Just curious. I would just like to give a big contract to a younger player, and have my management pay off as the cap rises.

Really? Why can two massive franchises do something and a smaller developer not? lol

Also, at least in EA's NHL series - the fluctuating cap is a nothing special. It isn't modeled on any economic trends or something, it just goes up. And it really only lets you abuse the hell out of offering long term deals. I think the EHM devs like doing things correctly, not just implementing something that essentially just makes all the numbers increase by 3% per year.

Archived