[FM14] Howay the Lads - A Newcastle United career

Ryan377

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Thursday June 28th 2013, 09:38am

Pardew resigns as Newcastle boss

epron7.jpg

0,,10278~5764302,00.gif0,,10278~5764303,00.gif0,,10278~5764305,00.gif

Alan Pardew has today resigned as Newcastle manager after almost three years in charge of the North East club.

The news is unlikely to shock many of the Newcastle supporters after a dismal campaign where the club only managed to avoid relegation in the penultimate game of the season. A 16th place finish was well below owner Mike Ashley’s expected target after qualifying for Europe in the previous season and it is now up to the owner to find a replacement to try and once again lead Newcastle to European club football.

Pardew was appointed Newcastle manager in controversial fashion in December 2010 after the sacking of fans favourite Chris Hughton. Pardew guided Newcastle to an 12th place finish in his first season as manager, a season where he had to deal with the £35 million sale of Andy Carroll to Liverpool. The 2011/12 season was a much happier season for the Londoner who managed to exceed all expectations and lead the club to 5th place, finishing above the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool. Last season was nearly a disaster for the Geordies though with the small squad unable to cope with the demands of the Europa League which resulted in them finishing only five points above the relegation zone.

Bookmaker Bet365 have today opened the market on who will succeed Alan Pardew. Former Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo is the favourite with odds as short as 4/1 however, there is also money being placed on Lee Clark, Alan Shearer and Alan Curbishley to fill the vacant position.

5ee88k.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Friday 29th June 2013, 21:14pm

Redknapp interested in Toon job

rrqovb.jpg

Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp has today declared his interest in the vacant Newcastle United manager’s job.

The 66 year old is one of the bookmaker’s favourites for the role and speaking today in a QPR press conference he said ‘Of course, Newcastle are a club with great potential. They were playing European football a couple of seasons ago and they are a big attraction to any player. The fan base up there is second to none and they are really passionate about their football’.

Redknapp has just returned to pre-season training with QPR after a disappointing campaign last year that ended in relegation to the Championship. Many have rumoured that Redknapp doesn’t see his future managing in England’s second tier and that he will jump at the chance of a return to the Premier League.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley refused to comment yesterday on the departure of former boss Alan Pardew however, it is expected that Newcastle are hoping to replace him within the coming days. Redknapp, who has been linked with Newcastle before under Mike Ashley, has seen his odds slashed from 8/1 down to 2/1 favourite. Fans seem divided on the appointment with many worried that the club will be put into financial danger like Redknapp’s former club Portsmouth.

5ee88k.jpg

@DavidBeckham Thank you!

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Saturday 30th June 2013, 15:04pm

Krul calls for swift appointment

2ebajc0.jpg

Newcastle United goalkeeper Tim Krul says he hope the club act quickly in their search for a new boss

The current number 1 spoke to local press on his return to pre-season training where he said ‘All the players are hoping that we can get a replacement sorted as soon as possible. We were all disappointed and shocked to see Alan leave as we feel we let him down a bit last year with our performances but we have to forget about that now and make sure we impress the new gaffer ahead of this season’

Krul, who himself stated he was disappointed with his performances last year, went on to state ‘Our aim for this year has to be to bring European football back to the club. We had an excellent Europa League campaign last year and were unlucky against Benfica in the quarter finals. The fans want success and qualifying for the Europa League should be the minimum achievement for a club the size of Newcastle’.

It seems Newcastle are no further forward in their announcement of a new manager after Alan Pardew’s resignation yesterday. This morning, QPR boss Harry Redknapp stated his interest in the role but with him having a contract at QPR until 2015 it is unlikely Mike Ashley will approach the former Spurs boss as hefty compensation will be due to the Championship club. Newcastle players reported back for pre-season training today which was taken by caretaker manager John Carver.

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Tuesday July 2nd 2013, 10:43am

Tuchel announced as Newcastle boss

jz8w0y.jpg

Thomas Tuchel has today been announced as Newcastle manager signing a four year deal with the club.

The former Mainz manager jetted into the North East late last night and after discussions with owner Mike Ashley this morning he has agreed to become the new Toon boss with immediate effect. The announcement came as a surprise to many with Tuchel not being thought as one of the favourites for the job.

The 39 year old started his managerial career at German club Mainz in 2009 after working at Stuttgart and Augsburg as a youth coach. His greatest achievement to date is leading Mainz to a fifth place Bundesliga finish in the 2010/11 season where he also recorded an away victory against Bayern Munich. Last year was a disappointing one for Mainz with them only managing a 13th place finish however, they were only one point of the top ten.

The reaction from Newcastle fans has been a positive one with the supporters saying they are looking forward to seeing some fresh ideas at the club and they hope that Tuchel can deliver on their hopes of fast, free flowing, attacking football. Tuchel will meet the players for his first pre-season training session tomorrow.

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Wednesday 3rd July 2013, 12:06pm

Newcastle announce pre-season plans

2n9eu14.jpg

Newcastle United have this morning announced their pre-season plans ahead of the upcoming 2014/15 season under new manager Thomas Tuchel.

The Magpies, who only appointed their new manager 24 hours ago, will start the season with a tour of France where they will play Ligue 2 sides Le Havre and Dijon. With all players now returned to pre-season training it is likely that Tuchel will name a strong side for the trip across the channel.

Newcastle will then return to Great Britain for a game against their feeder club St Mirren who play their football in the Scottish Premier League before jetting off for a warm weather training camp in Greece. While over there, they will challenge Atromitos, who they beat in a Europa League play off two seasons ago, before travelling to the island of Crete to play OFI.

A return to the North East is next up where they will face local side Carlisle, before a home game against current Belgian champions Anderlecht at St James Park. Newcastle wrap up their pre-season campaign across the River Tyne playing neighbours Gateshead.

Tuchel, who was presented to the media yesterday afternoon, announced that he wanted to get his players up to speed with a gruelling schedule as they have a tough start to the Premier League campaign where they will be playing Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City in the opening weeks of the season.

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Thursday 4th July 2013, 10:47am

Newcastle plan double loan swoop

1zvbsz6.jpgehaqyx.jpg

Newcastle boss Thomas Tuchel has wasted no time in the St James' park hotseat with loan bids for Andre Schurrle and Joel Campbell both being submitted this morning

It is believed that the new Magpies manager is eager to add to his squad before the start of their pre-season tour of France in four days time. Both players have been placed on the loan list by their respective managers and the Newcastle board are confident that the deals for both players can be completed within the coming days.

Schurrle joined Chelsea from German club Bayer Leverkusen for a fee of £18.5 million but it is believed that manager Jose Mourinho would like the German winger to go out on loan in his debut season to receive game time which he is unlikely to receive at Chelsea. Schurrle stated that he would be interested in a move away from the London club if it’s what his manager feels is best, however, he would like to be playing for a club in a European competition. Tuchel however, is confident that a deal can be struck with his fellow countryman.

Costa-Rican international Joel Campbell is another that Newcastle have scouted for the past few seasons while he has had loan spells away from the Emirates stadium. Campbell has had indifferent seasons at Lorient and Betis and it is believed manager Arsene Wenger is wanting the young winger to test himself at a higher level if he is to force his way into the Arsenal senior squad.

In other Newcastle news, full back Ryan Taylor has completed his £1 million move to fellow Premier League rivals West Bromwich Albion. The deal has been on the cards before Tuchel’s arrival at the club and the German boss explained to the media that he would not stand in the way of Taylor’s move as he is desperate for first team football after a long spell on the sidelines. Taylor, 28, will always be a cult hero with the Newcastle fans after his match winning free kick in the Tyne Wear derby in the 2011/12 Premier League season.

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Friday 5th July 2013, 11:51am

Campbell joins HSV on season long loan

n2lgtk.jpg

Costa Rican winger Joel Campbell has joined Bundesliga side HSV on a season long loan today, rejecting the offer from Newcastle United.

The 22 year old, who started his professional career at Deportivo Saprissa, said in his unveiling today ‘I am delighted to have this opportunity to test myself at the highest level. Arsene told me that my game time would be limited this season with Arsenal and he thought that it would be beneficial for me to go on loan again, especially with the World Cup coming up this summer’

Campbell also mentioned that there were other offers on the table for him however, he is happy with the choice he made. ‘My agent and the club informed me that there were other offers available to me but I felt the move to HSV was the best for my career. I believe Newcastle United were one of the options and Arsene did explain to me that he would like me to test myself in the Premier League but I don’t believe I would have been playing week in, week out’

Newcastle were dealt another blow in the transfer window this morning as well when it was announced that Andre Schurrle had rejected the opportunity to join the North East club on loan as he wanted to stay and fight for his place in the Chelsea team. Thomas Tuchel stated earlier in the week that he was confident both deals could be completed before Newcastle’s pre-season tour of France yet it looks likely that there will be no new signings travelling with Newcastle across the channel.

5ee88k.jpg

@MVFCLFC - Thanks for following!

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Saturday 6th July 2013, 16:58pm

Newcastle duo depart to Ligue 1

j8n0ab.jpg25i12m8.jpg

Jonas Gutierrez and Gabriel Obertan have this afternoon both left Newcastle United, both signing for clubs in France’s Ligue 1.

Gutierrez, who signed for the Magpies in 2008, has joined Monaco for a fee believed to be around £850,000. It is understood that Newcastle boss Thomas Tuchel advised the winger that opportunities would be limited at the club this season and that he felt it was best if his future was elsewhere. A well liked professional between the players and also the fans, Gutierrez had this to say on his arrival in the principality this morning. ‘I am really grateful that Monaco have given me this opportunity to join one of the biggest teams in Europe. I look forward to meeting my new team mates and feel that even in the latter stages of my career I will be learning every day from the excellent players around me. I would like to thank the Newcastle fans for six great years at the club and hope they understand that now was the right time for me to move on’.

In the other deal that was also completed today, Gabriel Obertan joined Toulose for £2 million, ending a disappointing spell in the North East. The former Manchester United man has struggled in his three years at St James’ Park and jumped at the chance of a move back to his homeland. The 25 year old started his career in his native country with Bordeaux before joining Manchester United in 2009 where Sir Alex Ferguson described his as an ‘Outstanding talent’. Unfortunately for Obertan opportunities were limited and a move to the Toon Army was completed in July 2011. A starting spot was unable to be nailed down though and it is thought Obertan was unhappy at the amount of playing time he received, especially over the past eighteenth months.

Newcastle held their last training session in the North East this morning before jetting off to France for their first pre-season tour where they will play Ligue 2 sides Le Havre and Dijon. Magpies boss Thomas Tuchel is ‘disappointed’ not to have been able to add to his squad in his short time at the club but believes that they are making breakthroughs regarding incoming arrivals.

5ee88k.jpg

@CamillePunk - Cheers mate!

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Monday 8th July 2013, 22:19pm

Le Havre 0 v.s 4 Newcastle United

142634h.jpg

Newcastle United got their pre-season off to a winning start this evening, recording a comfortable win against Ligue 2 side Le Havre.

Thomas Tuchel decided to field a strong line up in his first game as Toon boss with new arrival Siem De Jong starting just behind Ayoze Perez in a 4-2-3-1 formation and it was the duo that combined for the first goal. Gael Bigirimana won possession in the midfield before driving forward with the ball at his feet. The young central midfielder spread the ball out to Riviere down the right hand side who played a first time pass down the line for De Jong to latch onto. The former Ajax man took one touch with his right foot before swinging a delightful cross in towards the near post for Ayoze to poke home past the outstretched arms of the goalkeeper.

The Magpies then doubled their lead just after half time when Emmanuel Riviere whipped in a deep corner to the far post where De Jong managed to rise highest to nod home despite having his shirt clearly pulled by Le Havre captain Zargo Toure. De Jong then doubled his tally for the night with a goal from the penalty spot after a clear foul on him by Louvion who also picked up a booking for his troubles. The Magpies playmaker brushed himself down and calmly slotted the penalty down the middle, the goalkeeper diving to his right hand side.

Ayoze then completed his brace too after some good work by De Jong down the right, the Spain U21 International managed to wriggle away from his defender and glance a header past the goalkeeper and into the roof of the net. There were more chances to win the game for Newcastle late on but Gouffran wasted two opportunities when played in one on one against the goalkeeper; both times being denied by the legs of Stephane Poletti.

-

Le Havre: Renaud (Poletti 70), Benoist (Sanchez 45), Toure ©, Louvion, Baudry, Barbier (Ehret 51), Laugier (Bertrand 45), Laurent, Bonnet, Jeanney (Aubert 45), Philippe (Nicolle 45)

Subs not used: None

Goals: None

Yellow cards: Louvion

Red Cards: None

Newcastle United: Elliot (Alnwick 82), Janmaat (Dummett 82), Williamson, Coloccini © (Streete 82), Haidara, Bigirimana (Abeid 82), Colback (Anita 82), Riviere, De Jong, Gouffran, Perez (Campbell 82)

Goals: Ayoze (21, 70), De Jong (51, 59pen)

Yellow cards: None

Red cards: None

Attendance: 4,388

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Tuesday 9th July 2013, 13:05pm

Magpies Sviatchenko bid accepted

33yswon.jpg

Newcastle United look like they are set to make their first signing of the summer in the coming days after having a £750,000 bid accepted for FC Midtjylland centre back Erik Sviatchenko.

The 21 year old is expected to fly into the North East this evening to discuss personal terms and complete a medical before the move. Newcastle are currently on a pre-season tour of France, however, there are club staff on hand at their Benton training centre to make sure that the deal can be completed as soon as possible.

Sviatchenko is a pacy centre back who is known for his impeccably timed tackling and also his distribution from defence. The Danish under 21 international started his career at hometown club Viborg FF. Without making an appearance for the first team he was then snapped up by FC Midtjylland on a free transfer however, a compensation package was agreed between the two clubs months later. At the age of sixteen, Sviatchenko, made his first appearance for the Danish giants and has been a regular in the starting eleven since the 2010/11 season.

Thomas Tuchel has been a long-time admirer of the young defenders talents and although the Newcastle boss admits he may be a little ‘raw’ he has no qualms about integrating him into the first team this season. ‘It’s great news that our bid has been accepted for Erik and I’m hoping that we can get the deal completed as quickly as possible so he can join up with the team when we arrive back from France. He is a player who I’ve followed since my early days as Mainz boss so it’s a great feeling to finally have him on board and I’ve no doubt the fans will love his style of play’.

Newcastle play their second and final game of their France pre-season tour tomorrow when they will travel to Parc Des Gaston Gerard to face Ligue 2 side Dijon. The Magpies started their tour with a 4-0 win two days ago and will be looking to sign off with another comprehensive victory before flying back to Newcastle.

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Wednesday 10th July 2013, 21:15pm

Dijon FCO 0 v.s 2 Newcastle United

2iayi6x.jpg

Teenage winger Rolando Aarons inspired Newcastle to a 2-0 pre-season win this evening, putting in an excellent performance in his first senior appearance for the club.

Newcastle looked comfortable throughout the game and it was captain Fabricio Coloccini that put them in front with forty two minutes on the clock. Davide Santon brought the ball forward from right back before curling in a delightful ball towards the near post which was knocked out of play by Baptiste Reynet. Moussa Sissoko whipped a brilliant corner into the six yard box where Coloccini rose highest to nod home and give the Toon Army a one goal lead going into half time.

Aarons then doubled the Magpies advantage with his first senior goal on his debut appearance for the club. Another cross by France international Sissoko caused panic in the Dijon box and when centre back Steven Paulle failed to clear properly, Aarons collected the ball on the edge of the area before rifling an effort through a number of bodies and into the back of the net. The young winger was clearly delighted with his effort, running to the bench to celebrate with his team mates and club staff.

Thomas Tuchel’s side never looked like conceding in the game against a tired looking Dijon eleven and Newcastle will be wondering how they didn’t come away with more goals as young striker Adam Campbell hit the woodwork twice in the first half. There is no doubting that this mini pre-season tour has been successful for Newcastle, winning both their games and keeping two clean sheets in the process. The only downside from the tour is the knock suffered by Remy Cabella this evening which meant he had to be substituted before half time, however, it doesn’t look to be anything serious.

-

Dijon: Reynet (Yeboah 63), Bamba, Paulle, Varrault ©, Souprayen, Bastien (Prevost 45), Le Lay (Klein 45), Baradji (Bochu 57), Dufour (Geoffroy 45), Thil, Ferreira (Guillerm 63)

Yellow cards: Bamba, Varrault, Thil

Newcastle United: Alnwick, Santon, Streete, Coloccini © (Williamson 83), Haidara (Dummett 83), Anita (Abeid 83), Tiote (Colback 83), Sissoko, Cabella (Campbell 34), Aarons, Ferreyra

Subs not used: Elliot

Goals: Coloccini (42), Aarons (46)

Attendance: 4,189

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Thursday 11th July 2013, 15:47pm

Lacazette jets in for Magpies medical

ms2fzq.jpg

Newcastle United are closing in on their second potential signing of the summer after Lyon confirmed a fee of £10.5 million had been accepted.

The news was broke on Olympique Lyonnais’ website at noon today where they explained that they have reached an agreement for the transfer of Lacazette and that he would travel to Tyneside this evening to discuss personal terms and also to have a medical before finalising the deal. This announcment will come as a major shock to all Newcastle United fans as only three days ago the Lyon president announced that contract talks with Lacazette were ‘progressing well’ and that it was ‘highly unlikely’ that he would leave this summer.

Lacazette has been at Lyon throughout the whole of his professional career, working his way up through the academy teams before finally reaching the first team in the 2009/10 season where he made his debut against Auxerre. His first goal for the club came in October 2011 in a league game against Sochaux, however, this turned out to be his solitary effort of the campaign. The next two seasons were to prove excellent for Lacazette as he was a one of the first names on the team sheet and regularly scored goals or created for others.

The 23 year old has represented his home country at all age groups from under 16 all the way up to the French national side. He made his debut for Les Bleus against Uruguay on 5th June 2013 but missed out on a place in the 2014 World Cup squad. Speaking after the squad announcement, Lacazette explained he was ‘disappointed’ not to have been selected but that Euro 2016 in his home country has always been the target.

Magpies fans will no doubt be delighted with the news that the deal finally looks close to completion as he is a player their club have tracked for a number of years now. It is believed chief scout Graham Carr has followed the career of Lacazette since he made his debut and has tried on numerous occasions to bring him to St James’ Park. Newcastle travel north to face St. Mirren in their third pre-season friendly of the summer tomorrowwhere we are likely to hear from manager Thomas Tuchel about the arrival and what the winger will bring to the club.

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Saturday 13th July 2013, 18:11pm

St Mirren 1 v.s 3 Newcastle United

1088ubp.jpg

Newcastle cruised to a 3-1 victory this afternoon at St Mirren Park. Goals from Curtis Good, Yoan Gouffran and Papiss Cisse sealing the win.

It was young centre back Curtis Good that got the scoring underway midway through the first half. Adam Campbell, returning to the ground where he had a loan spell last season, won Newcastle a corner down the left hand side. Jack Colback whipped in a delightful cross towards the near post and when St Mirren midfielder Adam Drury could only half clear the ball, Good controlled brilliantly before slotting the ball into the far top corner, leaving the goalkeeper and defenders on the line with no chance.

The goal seemed to spark life into the home side and with Newcastle looking lethargic in their play it was the SPL side that pulled level just after half time. Michael Campbell brought the ball forward down the left wing before cutting inside and clipping a pass to Callum Ball. His first time pass split the Newcastle defence and striker Steven Ramsden managed to bend an effort over the outstretched hands of Rob Elliot and into the net from eighteen yards.

Thomas Tuchel’s side seemed to wake up after conceding their first goal of pre-season and it only took twelve minutes for them to go back in front. Ayoze Perez brought the ball forward at pace only to be halted by a strong tackle by Drury. Paul Dummett quickly took the resulting throw in and with the St Mirren defence still trying to organise themselves, Yoan Gouffran nipped in behind the two centre backs to slot the ball through the goalkeeper’s legs from just inside the area.

Papiss Cisse completed the scoring two minutes before full time when he used his pace to get away from defender Phil Beedie before rifling an effort past Colthart and into the roof of the net. The Senegalese international will be hoping this goal is the first of many after a disappointing campaign last season for the Magpies.

After the victory Thomas Tuchel spoke to the media and had this to say. ‘I’m happy with the performance and the result but the main objective of the game is to build up the players fitness and they are starting to look a lot sharper than they did seven days ago. The whole squad seem to be learning the philosophy I am trying to bring to the club and that can only be a positive ahead of our first Premier League game against Aston Villa’. The German also explained that the deals for Erik Sviatchenko and Alexandre Lacazette are ‘90% done’ and that Newcastle hope to have to have them both in their squad for their pre-season tour of Greece in six days.

-

St Mirren: Colthart (Souter 80), Drury, Armstrong (McMullan 63), Plummer, Graham (Ramsden 45), Rennie (Tindal 45), Osbourne ©, Lamb (Beedie 63), Bagley, Cargill (M. Campbell 45)

Goals: Ramsden (50)

Newcastle United: Elliot, Janmaat, Coloccini ©, Good, Dummett, Colback (Anita 80), Abeid, Riviere, Perez (De Jong 80), Gouffran, A. Campbell (Cisse 80)

Subs not used: Alnwick, Haidara

Goals: Good (21), Gouffran (63), Cisse (88)

Attendance: 4,178

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Tuesday 16th July 2013, 11:14am

Newcastle complete double swoop

2ni1cu8.jpg2091slc.jpg

Newcastle United have today announced the signings of Alexandre Lacazette and Erik Sviatchenko, totalling £11.25million.

The Magpies had bids accepted for both players at the end of last week and BBCSport understands that medicals for the two were held yesterday at Newcastle’s Benton training ground base. The duo represent the clubs first foray into the transfer window this summer and Thomas Tuchel is keen to press on with more incomings ahead of his sides opening day fixture against Aston Villa. The German confirmed after the St Mirren game at the weekend that he would like to bring four new faces through the door.

Sviatchenko joins the club for a fee of £750,000 from Danish side FC Midtjylland. A regular for the club and also with the Danish under 21’s, the signing represents a huge leap in the young defenders career and he seems like he is ready to grasp this opportunity with both hands. Speaking to the clubs official website he said ‘It’s great that the deal is finally completed and I’m delighted to stand here today as Newcastle United player. The English Premier League is huge over in Denmark and for me to be playing in front of fifty two thousand fans every week is a dream come true’.

Frenchman Alexandre Lacazette has been on chief scout Graham Carr’s radar for a number of years. The sixty nine year old has followed the career of the young French attacker since he first broke into the Lyon first team and will be delighted that the deal has finally been completed. A fee of £10.5 million was agreed between the two clubs for the frontman who has signed a five year contract.

In other Newcastle news it seems that England under 21 winger Sammy Ameobi will be leaving the club in the next forty eight hours after they accepted a £1million bid from Championship side Derby County. Ameobi, brother of Shola, has found first team opportunities at St James’ Park limited and it looks as though Thomas Tuchel was happy for him to leave the club and develop his career elsewhere.

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Saturday 20th July, 20:53pm

Atromitos 0 v.s 5 Newcastle

vfv8dl.jpg

Newcastle romped to a 5-0 victory this evening in Northern Greece in their first fixture of their two game tour.

Thomas Tuchel started a strong side for the first time in this pre-season and Newcastle’s quality showed right from the first whistle. Facundo Ferreyra opened the scoring for the Magpies with only six minutes on the clock when he brought down Siem De Jong’s cross field ball before rifling home a half volley from the edge of the area. The lead was then doubled two minutes later when Sissoko latched onto a Daryl Janmaat pass down the right wing before cutting inside and hitting a hopeful shot towards goal which managed to squirm underneath the goalkeeper’s body and into the back of the net.

Debutant Alexandre Lacazette then joined in on the scoring halfway through the first half with an excellent solo goal. The Frenchman collected the ball on the left wing before cutting inside and setting off on a mazy run towards goal. Holding off one defender he managed to cut inside and wrong foot the last centre back before dinking an effort over the onrushing goalkeeper. Newcastle fans will be hoping for many more goals like this from their new man this season.

Moussa Sissoko then got his second goal of the game just after the break, controlling a Remy Cabella pass on his chest before sharply turning inside and hitting an unstoppable effort into the top right hand corner of the net from twenty five yards. The scoring was complete just after the hour mark when Sissoko again collected the ball outside the area before checking onto his right foot and powering an effort past the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Galanopoulos.

Speaking to the press after the game, Newcastle boss Thomas Tuchel explained that he was ‘delighted’ with the effort from the whole team and that he is ‘very impressed’ with how quickly new arrivals Erik Sviatchenko and Alexandre Lacazette have settled into the squad. The Magpies will have a day off tomorrow before their second and final game of the pre-season tour against OFI Crete on Wednesday.

-

Atromitos: Sanoudakis (Galanopoulos 45), Giannaris, Angelinas, Georgakapoulos (Iordanidis 45), Stamoulakis, Balafas (Psychogios 45), Rokos, Psycharis (Savvidis 45), Itsios (Kastanias 45), Floros (Papapetrou 45), Napoleoni ©

Newcastle United: Krul (Alnwick 78), Janmaat (Mbabu 78), Sviatchenko, Coloccini © (Williamson 78), Santon (Haidara 78), Sissoko (Bigirimana 78), Tiote (Anita 78), Lacazette (Gouffran 78), Cabella (Aarons 50), De Jong (Riviere 78), Ferreyra (Perez 78)

Subs not used: Ferguson, Cisse

Goals: Ferreyra (6), Sissoko (8, 50, 65), Lacazette (26)

Attendance: 4,187

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Wednesday 24th July 2013, 19:12pm

OFI Crete 1 v.s 3 Newcastle United

rkvghw.jpg

Another game, another win for Thomas Tuchel as Newcastle boss as the Magpies eased to a 3-1 win on the island of Crete this evening.

The Magpies started the game brightly and had numerous chances in the first half which they failed to take,the best chance falling to the feet of Papiss Cisse who side stepped the defender before blazing over the crossbar from eight yards. The Senegalese international also had a goal correctly disallowed when he nodded Ayoze Perez’s cross past the goalkeeper, however, he had strayed three yards offside.

Newcastle didn’t take long to break the deadlock after the break and it was that man Cisse that provided the opening goal of the night. Tiote won the ball in the middle of the field before spreading a pass out to the right wing where Alexandre Lacazette was lurking. The Frenchman knocked the ball past left back Aniotis before curling in a delightful cross to the back post which Cisse volleyed straight into the roof of the net.

It was OFI who then grabbed the next goal, levelling the game up just before the hour mark. A foul by Mike Williamson on Chelsea loanee Islam Feruz gave the home side a free kick just on the edge of the area. Dimitris Mallios clipped a dangerous ball into the Newcastle box and when De Jong could only half clear, Chatzopoulos was on hand to fire the ball past Tim Krul from 11 yards out.

The lead only lasted fifteen minutes as Emmanuel Riviere put the Magpies back in front with his first touch of the ball. Coming on only two minutes earlier, the 23 year old broke behind the OFI defence before lifting a header over the onrushing goalkeeper and into the empty net. Riviere went straight to team mateGael Bigirimana to celebrate as it was he who provided a lovely chipped ball over the two centre backs to set the forward through on goal.

Daryl Janmaat then got in on the goal scoring act grabbing his first goal in Newcastle colours. Riviere won the ball from Karagiannidis before knocking it down the line to the overlapping Janmaat. The Dutch full back looked up before clipping a ball to the far post which eluded everyone, including the goalkeeper, before nestling into the back of the net. A fourth win in four pre-season games for Newcastle and manager Thomas Tuchel had this to say about his side’s performance.

‘The trip has been a huge success for everyone involved with the club. The hospitality we have received from both hotels has been excellent and the conditions for us to train in have been perfect. We are very happy with how both games have went for us and I believe all the players are raring to go ahead of the new season. I am hoping to bring in one or two new faces to help fill the squad a little as I do feel we are short on numbers but we have plenty of time to complete these deals so we aren’t panicking yet’. Newcastle will travel back to the North east tomorrow before preparing for a pre-season game against local side Carlisle on Monday.

-

OFI Crete: Ordoulidis (Tsismenakis 60), Xydis (Chrysikos 45), Tsikos, Pavlidis, Aniotis, Kontakos (Chatzpoulos 45), Alexeas (Karagiannidis 45), Kakoudakis (Kapetanakis 45), Mallios, Machlas (Siourtos 45), Ferez ©

Goals: Chatzopoulos (59)

Newcastle United: Krul, Santon (Janmaat 72), Williamson (Coloccini 72), Sviatchenko, Haidara, Anita (Sissoko 72), Tiote © (Bigirimana 72), Lacazette (Gouffran 72), De Jong, Perez (Riviere 72), Cisse (Ferreyra 72)

Goals: Cisse (47), Riviere (74), Janmaat (77)

Attendance: 4,200

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Friday 26th July 2013, 09:45am

Newcastle trio sign new deals

198djc.jpg

Newcastle United youngster’s Adam Campbell, Karl Darlow and Remie Streete have all signed new three year deals, keeping them at the club until July 2016

Boyhood Newcastle fan Campbell has impressed for the reserves over the last few seasons and after some sporadic appearances in the first team over the last two campaigns it is believed this will be the year he finally breaks into the first team mould. Speaking to the clubs official website minutes after signing the deal, the young forward said ‘It’s a great feeling to sign another contract with my hometown club. There is nothing I love more than playing in front of 52,000 people at St James Park and I hope this can be the season I open my account for the first team. I’m delighted with how pre-season has went so far and the new manager has brought in some fresh ideas which I think will put us in a good position for the season ahead’.

Goalkeeper Karl Darlow also signed a new contract with the Tyneside club although he is yet to make an appearance for them. Currently on loan at Nottingham Forest, the 22 year old is expected to be recalled by Newcastle next summer to challenge for first team duties with current number one Tim Krul. Yet to be called up to the England under 21’s, Darlow has twenty one appearances for the Nottingham Forest first team but will be their first choice goalkeeper for the upcoming Championship campaign.

Remie Streete, who only had twelve months remaining on his current deal, has also tied down his future with the North East club. The centre back has struggled with injuries over the past two years but has been involved with the first team in the recent pre-season tours of France and Greece. The 18 year old is yet to make a senior appearance for the club but will be hoping this can be the year he can challenge current centre backs Coloccini, Williamson and Sviatchenko for a place in the starting eleven.

Newcastle will make the short journey down to Carlisle tomorrow afternoon to play their sixth pre-season game of the summer. Remy Cabella and Jack Colback will both miss the game after picking up knocks but apart from them, boss Tuchel will have a full squad at his disposal. It is expected that the German will use this game as an indication of how close his younger players are to first team level so it can be expected that Campbell and Streete will both get a run out, twenty four hours after signing new deals at the club.

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Monday 29th July, 22:33pm

Carlisle 1 v.s 3 Newcastle United

2yl6w51.jpg

Adam Campbell celebrated signing a new deal with Newcastle by getting two goals in a straight forward 3-1 victory for the Magpies at Brunton Park this evening.

The eighteen year old, who recently put pen to paper on a new three year deal with the club, started up front as the lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 formation and instantly repaid Thomas Tuchel’s faith in him, by grabbing the first goal just after the half hour mark. Northern Irish winger Shane Ferguson worked his way down the left hand side before whipping in a delightful cross towards the six yard box. Carlisle goalkeeper Dan Hanford rose to claim the ball but collided with defender Brad Potts, the ball falling kindly for Campbell to tap into the empty net from four yards.

Newcastle then doubled their lead just three minutes later. Vurnon Anita controlled the ball well in the middle of the park before spraying a long range pass out to Ayoze Perez on the right hand side. The Spaniard tussled with Danny Grainger for possession before poking a through ball to set Adam Campbell away towards goal. Looking up, the young forward clipped a delightful cross towards the back post where Rolando Aarons was lurking to fire home past the goalkeeper and claim his second goal of pre-season so far.

Campbell then grabbed his second and Newcastle’s third of the game, twelve minutes from time. A great solo run by Ayoze Perez was halted just as he looked to be getting a shot off as Jack Price barged him in the back. The referee had no other option but to point to the spot and it was Campbell who collected the ball before sending the goalkeeper the wrong way from twelve yards. Carlisle did manage to pick up a consolation goal in the 80th minute when David Amoo cut in from the right hand side before curling an effort into the far corner of the goal, past the reach of Newcastle goalkeeper Jak Alnwick.

Thomas Tuchel will no doubt be pleased with another victory for Newcastle in what has been a very successful pre-season for them so far. The Magpies face their toughest test of the summer when they welcome Belgian champions Anderlecht to St James’ Park on Thursday evening. It is believed that Tuchel will select the strongest side available to him with this being the penultimate game of Newcastle’s 2014/15 pre-season.

-

Carlisle: Hanford (Gillespie 45), Potts (Irwin 45), Archibald-Henville (Gillies 45), O’Hanlon (Meppen-Walter 45), Grainger (Beck 45), Dicker (Keenan 45), Thirlwell © (Marrow 45), Kearns (Amoo 45), Symington (Sweeney 45), Robson (Dickson 45), Paynter (Price 45)

Subs not used: Elliott

Goals: Amoo (80)

Newcastle United: Alnwick, Haidara, Satka, Streete (Good 75), Dummett, Anita ©, Bigirimana (Kemen 45), Aarons, Perez, Ferguson, Campbell

Subs not used: Krul, Sissoko, Riviere

Goals: Campbell (32, 78), Aarons (35)

Yellow cards: Haidara, Bigirimana

Attendance: 6,260

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Thursday 1st August 2013, 21:19pm

Newcastle United 2 v.s 0 Anderlecht

xml79u.jpg

A quick-fire double from Alexandre Lacazette and Fabricio Coloccini sealed Newcastle’s seventh win of pre-season at a rainy St James’ Park this afternoon.

Thomas Tuchel selected a full strength team to take on the Belgian champions and after some early pressure and long range attempts at goal, Alexandre Lacazette opened the goal scoring with twenty nine minutes on the clock. Moussa Sissoko played a delightful one two with team mate Cheik Tiote in the middle of the pitch before striding forward towards a goal. The twenty three year old skipped past the challenge of Echiejile before pulling the ball back to Lacazette on the edge of the area. The forward controlled well before angling a beautiful effort into the far corner of the Anderlecht goal from eighteen yards out.

It only took sixty seconds for the Magpies to double their lead after some sloppy defending by the away side. Siem De Jong whipped a corner towards the far post where defender Sviatchenko was lurking. The Dane’s headed effort was well blocked but the ball fell out to Cheik Tiote on the edge of the area who was urged to shoot by the Newcastle faithful. Taking up the fans on the offer the Ivory Coast international scuffed an effort towards goal, the ball landing at the feet of an unmarked Fabricio Coloccini on the six yard box line. The club captain took one touch before rifling the ball into the roof of the net and past the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Silvio Proto.

The home side seemed to take their foot off the pedal once the second goal went in and the rest of the game passed by with no real opportunities for either side. Substitute Jack Colback wasted a decent chance to get his first goal for his boyhood club when a poor back pass from Steven Defour was cut out by the Killingworth born midfielder. Dribbling the ball towards goal, the former Sunderland man never seemed in full control of the situation and Proto managed to spread himself well to block the weak effort.

Newcastle will finish their pre-season campaign with a trip to the International Stadium to face neighbours Gateshead on Monday evening. It is expected that boss Tuchel is likely to experiment with his team for the game against the Conference side with many fringe players likely to start. Newcastle’s first Premier League game is away to Aston Villa on Sunday 18th August.

-

Newcastle United: Krul, Janmaat, Sviatchenko (Williamson 69), Coloccini ©, Santon (Haidara 69), Sissoko (Anita 69), Tiote (Bigirimana 69), Lacazette (Riviere 56), De Jong (Perez 69), Gouffran (Colback 69), Cisse (Ferreyra 69)

Goals: Lacazette (29), Coloccini (30)

Anderlecht: Proto ©, Monteyne, Ely (Leya Iseka 45), Nuytinck, Echiejile (Dupont 66), Kljestan (Poncin 83), Defour, Milivojevic (Praet 45), Bahebeck (Deschacht 45), Tielemans (De Bock 66), Mitrovic (Suarez 45)

Subs not used: Walgraeve, Novothny, Panneel, De Neve, Bertrand

Attendance: 28,404

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Saturday 3rd August 2013, 10:33am

Magpies close in on Sorensen

160bqdi.jpg

Newcastle United are set to announce their third signing of the summer in the next few days after having a bid accepted for Juventus defender Frederik Sorensen.

It is believed that the centre back, who can also cover at right full back, has been deemed surplus to requirements by new Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri and that the Italian champions are happy to let the Dane go on a free transfer. Newcastle representatives over in Italy are believed to have contacted Juventus regarding the youngster and it is now up to the player and the club to agree on terms before he will fly to the North East of England for a medical.

Sorensen joined Juventus in the summer of 2010 from Danish first division side Lyngby Boldklub. Initially on a season long loan deal, a permanent transfer was arranged just weeks later for a fee of £425,000. Sent to fellow Serie A side Bologna in a co-ownership deal, Sorensen found his first year in the Emilia-Romagna region a frustrating one, making only two first team appearances. His second year at the club saw him thrust into the first team where he made twenty five appearances but couldn’t help save the club from relegation to Serie B. With Bologna unable to fund the deal while in the Italian second division, the twenty one year old returned to Juventus in the summer but it looks likely that his time in Turin will be a short one.

If the deal for Sorensen is completed by Newcastle United, he will become the second Danish player to sign over the summer after the arrival of Erik Sviatchenko to St James’ Park three weeks ago. He is yet to make an appearance for the full national team but has represented his country at under seventeen, under twenty and also under twenty one level. A move to the Premier League and regular first team football will do his chances no harm for a debut call up to Morten Olsen’s side.

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Sunday 4th August 2013, 11:15am

Ben Arfa signs new Toon deal

4q61xc.jpg

Hatem Ben Arfa has today put pen to paper on a new three year contract with Newcastle United, putting an end to speculation that he may be leaving the club in twelve months’ time.

The mercurial Frenchman, who is currently on a season long loan at Hull City, stated today that his love for the club never waned during a turbulent eighteen months with former boss Alan Pardew. Shipped out to fellow Premier League outfit Hull City, many Newcastle supporters believed that they had seen the last of Ben Arfa in a black and white shirt with his contract due to expire next summer. However, Thomas Tuchel made it very clear on his arrival in the North East that the door will still be open for Hatem to return and that he was disappointed there was no recall clause in the loan deal to bring him back earlier.

A favourite among the Newcastle fans, Ben Arfa has had an inconsistent four years with the Magpies. A leg break in his first season at the club cut short his campaign and he wasn’t to return to the St James’ Park field until the 2011/12 season. Struggling to break into the first eleven, it wasn’t until January when Ben Arfa nailed down a place and made himself one of the first names on the team sheet. An excellent end to the season for Newcastle and also Ben Arfa saw the Toon Army finish 5th in the Premier League.

Former manager Alan Pardew never seemed to fully take to the Clairefontaine graduate though and he was regularly dropped to the bench despite putting in impressive performances to the dismay of many fans. Minor niggles meant that he would miss small periods of time through injury and with Pardew preferring other options, Ben Arfa was shipped out on loan in one of the Londoners last actions as Newcastle boss.

In other Newcastle news, the draw for the Carling Cup second round was made today at Wembley stadium and the Magpies face a home tie against League 2 side Exeter City. The tie is due to be played on Tuesday 27th August and has not been selected for live TV broadcast.

5ee88k.jpg

@DavidBeckham - Thanks very much, really appreciated!

Here are the screenshots you requested (Lacazette and Sviatchenko). I'll include a screenshot of any further signings in my next write ups (There'll be a link when you click their name).

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Monday 5th August, 23:02pm

Gateshead 3 v.s 5 Newcastle United

2ujmsrk.jpg

It was goals galore at the International stadium this evening as a youthful Newcastle United side ran out winners in an eight goal thriller.

The tone of the game was set with just fifty four seconds on the clock when Adam Campbell grabbed his first goal of the night. Remie Streete won the ball with a crunching tackle on the halfway line before threading a pass to Ayoze Perez. With his back to goal the Spaniard managed to execute a delightful flick to Shane Ferguson down the left wing who whipped in a cross for Campbell to slot home through the legs of Sam Busby in the Gateshead goal.

Newcastle then grabbed their second of the evening courtesy of a delightful half volley from Massadio Haidara on the edge of the penalty area. Rolando Aarons cross could only be half cleared to the edge of the box and the left back took one touch before firing a shot into the top right corner of the goal. Ayoze Perez, who has had an impressive pre-season since his move from Liga Adelante side Tenerife, added a third for the visitors just six minutes later with a wonderful curled effort from twenty five yards out.

A fourth goal then came for the travelling Toon Army when Northern Ireland winger Shane Ferguson angled a left footed cross towards the near post which Gateshead centre back Ben Clark could only deflect past his own goalkeeper and into the back of the net. The Conference side didn’t let their heads drop though and pulled a goal back just sixty seconds later courtesy of a tidy finish from Jon Shaw, who arrived recently for his third spell at the club.

Ben Clark then atoned for his error in the first half by powering a header past Newcastle goalkeeper Rob Elliot with sixty four minutes on the clock and many Gateshead fans sensed a comeback of epic proportions against the Premier League side. It wasn’t to be though as just three minutes later Adam Campbell grabbed his second goal of the night with a brilliant solo effort. Picking up the ball just inside the opposition half, the eighteen year old beat three Gateshead players before rounding the goalkeeper and slotting the ball into an empty net.

The scoring was complete in the eightieth minute of an enthralling encounter when substitute Danny Wright rose above defender Lubomir Satka to glance a header into the far corner of the goal. A bumper crowd of over ten thousand had witnessed an excellent evening of football with both teams constantly attacking for the full ninety minutes. After the victory Thomas Tuchel praised the hosts by saying ‘Gateshead gave us a really hard game tonight and I know Gary Mills will be delighted with his players after their performance. It was always going to be hard for them with the quality we have in our squad and I believe this showed for the first half an hour when we were in complete control however, they can be proud with the goals they scored and I wish them well in the upcoming season.’

-

Gateshead: Busby (Baird 45), Baxter (Hay 45), Jones (Curtis 45), Clark © (Cummins 85), Allan (Turnbull 45), Brown (Wright 45), Chandler (Watson 45), Oster (Wilson 71), O’Donnell (Ramshaw 56), Shaw, Rankine (Wright 45)

Subs not used: Briggs, Guy

Goals: Shaw (39), Clark (64), Wright (80)

Yellow cards: Oster, Curtis

Newcastle: Elliot, Haidara, Mbabu (Good 76), Streete (Satka 76), Dummett ©, Bigirimana, Abeid (Colback 76), Aarons, Perez, Ferguson, Campbell

Subs not used: Alnwick, Ferreyra

Goals: Campbell (1, 65), Haidara (26), Ayoze (32), Clark OG (38)

Yellow cards: Mbabu

Attendance: 10, 207

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Tuesday 6th August 2013, 12:31pm

Sorensen completes Magpies switch

11i2yqq.jpg

Newcastle United have announced their third signing of the summer this morning, bringing in Danish centre back Frederik Sorensen on a free transfer.

The twenty one year old becomes the second Dane to join the club in the current window after the arrival of fellow countryman Erik Sviatchenko three weeks earlier. Deemed surplus to requirements at Serie A giants Juventus, new manager Massimiliano Allegri decided that he was happy for the young defender to leave without a fee being paid. The Magpies quickly swooped in when they heard of his availability and despite some late interest from Pescara, managed to agree on personal terms before flying Sorensen over to the North East to complete the medical and finalise the deal.

A regular for the Denmark under twenty ones side, the promising defender had this to say on his arrival at St James’ Park. ‘It’s a great move for me and I’m really happy to have put pen to paper at such a big club like Newcastle. My time at Juventus wasn’t as successful as I hoped but this is a new chapter in my career and after speaking with the manager I feel this was definitely the best choice for me. I have been told about the great support in the stadium and I can’t wait until I play my first home game here in the Premier League’.

It is believed that Newcastle are hoping to bring in one more new face before the Premier League season kicks off a week on Saturday. The Magpies start their campaign with a trip away to Aston Villa on the Sunday, a ground which has been kind to the Toon Army in recent years since they were relegated there in 2009; Thomas Tuchel will be hoping for another victory on his managerial debut in the Barclays Premier League.

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Wednesday 7th August, 13:04pm

Season Preview – Newcastle United

35a1usx.jpg

With only ten days to go until the start of the 2013/14 Barclays Premier League season, BBCSport are profiling all twenty teams competing this year. Today we take a look at Thomas Tuchel’s Newcastle United.

The summer started with a departure from Newcastle as manager Alan Pardew was sacked by the club after a disappointing end to the last campaign. Many fans were worried that Mike Ashley would appoint another one of his football friends, as seen before with Joe Kinnear, so it came as a slight surprise when young German coach Thomas Tuchel arrived at the club. The 41 year old had just left his post at Bundesliga club Mainz after guiding them to a seventh place finish, securing European football for the first time in three years.

Tuchel wasted no time in his post as Newcastle boss with Ryan Taylor, Gabriel Obertan, Jonas Gutierrez and Sammy Ameobi all leaving within just weeks of the new manager arriving. There were also new faces coming into the club with highly rated Alexandre Lacazette being joined by defender Erik Sviatchenko. The Magpies have also recently completed their third signing of the summer bringing in Danish under twenty one international Frederik Sorensen in on a free transfer from Italian champions Juventus.

A one hundred percent record in pre-season for the Toon Army has created a real buzz around the city and there is optimism spreading that this can be the year that Newcastle make a real push to bring European football back to St James Park. The priority for the new man at the helm though is to see if he can bring a trophy to the club which has now gone forty six years without any silverware. If the drought can be ended this season, Tuchel and his players will be worshipped on Tyneside for the rest of their careers.

Newcastle start their Premier League campaign with a trip to Villa Park to face Aston Villa on Sunday 18th August before a home game against Everton the following week. They then travel to the Emirates stadium on August 31st to face Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal before another trip to London to face pre-season title favourites Chelsea.

Media Prediction – 8th

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Sunday 18th August, 16:37pm

Aston Villa 0 v.s 1 Newcastle United

2hf86r4.jpg

Thomas Tuchel claimed his first Premier League victory in his debut game as Newcastle manager as the Magpies ran out 1-0 winners at Villa Park this afternoon.

A tight game throughout, it was a lapse in concentration early on that gave Newcastle the lead and ultimately decided where the three points would go. There was only three minutes on the clock when debutant Siem De Jong put the travelling side in front with a well placed finish. After stringing together a number of passes, the Magpies then decided attack with pace and a quick passing triangle between De Jong, Perez and Sissoko bamboozled the Aston Villa defence. Spread out wide to Alexandre Lacazette, the Frenchman’s first time delivery was poor but an air kick from Aston Villa defender Jores Okore meant the ball fell kindly to De Jong on the penalty spot and he swept the ball home past Brad Guzan.

Any chance of a comeback from the home side was made much harder on the half hour when Chris Herd was shown a straight red card for a two footed lunge on Moussa Sissoko. With the ball bobbling around in the centre circle, the Frenchman managed to come away with it before taking a heavy touch and creating a 50/50 situation. The young Villa midfielder threw himself into the tackle and was never in control from the moment he left the ground, leaving referee Lee Probert with no other option but to show the red card.

The home side did have chances to pull level in the match with the best opportunity falling to the usually clinical Christian Benteke late on. Ashley Westwood whipped in a delightful corner which evaded everyone before falling to the Belgian at the back post. Although he had time to control the cross before getting a shot off, the twenty two year old tried a diving header only for the ball to skim off the top of his head and out of play for a goal kick. Groans all round Villa Park while the away end breathed a sigh of relief.

-

Aston Villa: Guzan, Lowton (Clark 51), Vlaar ©, Okore, Cissokho (Grealish 51), Westwood, Herd, Delph, Cleverley, Cole (Weimann 78), Benteke

Subs not used: Siegrist, Richardson, N’Zogbia, Kozak

Yellow cards: Delph

Red Cards: Herd

Newcastle: Krul, Santon, Sviatchenko (Sorensen 62), Coloccini ©, Haidara, Sissoko, Tiote (Anita 62), Lacazette, De Jong, Perez (Cabella 75), Ferreyra

Subs not used: Janmaat, Gouffran, Riviere, Cisse

Goals: De Jong (3)

Yellow cards: Sviatchenko, Tiote

Attendance: 31, 620

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Saturday 24th August, 17:41pm

Newcastle United 0 v.s 1 Everton

2eapgra.jpg

Newcastle suffered defeat in their first competitive home game under new boss Thomas Tuchel, although they will be scratching their heads at how they failed to come away with anything from an encounter in which they dominated.

The only goal of the game came courtesy of Everton striker Samuel Eto’o on thirty seven minutes, the Cameroon international netting his first goal for The Toffees. Some good work down the left hand side by Leighton Baines created space for Kevin Mirallas to drive forward into, the Belgian then cutting inside pulling Daryl Janmaat out of position. This then gave him the opportunity to slot a pinpoint pass down the line to the overlapping Baines who’s first time cross was glanced home at the near post by Eto’o. Tuchel will no doubt be disappointed at how easy his defence was carved open whereas opposing boss Martinez will be delighted at the free flowing move.

The home side really should have come away with something from the game though but were extremely wasteful in front of goal when the opportunities arose. Remy Cabella, making his first start for the club in the Premier League, had a great chance midway through the first half when he was put through one on one with Tim Howard. The American goalkeeper managed to spread himself well though and got finger tips on Cabella’s goalbound effort to push it round the post.

Howard again came to Everton’s rescue in the fifty first minute of the game when he brilliantly denied Facundo Ferreyra his first Newcastle goal, tipping the Argentine’s powerful header over the crossbar. It was Moussa Sissoko who wasted the Magpies best chance of a goal late on after latching onto a lobbed through ball by Alexandre Lacazette. The Newcastle number seven controlled well before powering into the box but his effort was weak and easy for Tim Howard to hold. With that, Newcastle’s chances of even scraping a point, were gone.

-

Newcastle United: Krul, Janmaat, Sviatchenko, Coloccini ©, Santon, Sissoko, Tiote, Lacazette, De Jong (Perez 79), Cabella (Gouffran 79), Ferreyra (Cisse 57)

Subs not used: Sorensen, Haidara, Anita, Riviere

Yellow cards: Tiote

Everton: Howard, Coleman, Jagielka ©, Distin, Baines, McCarthy, Barry, Mirallas (Oviedo 78), Barkley, Pienaar (Osman 53), Eto’o.

Subs not used: Stanek, Stones, Alcaraz, Besic, Lukaku

Goals: Eto’o (37)

Attendance: 45, 379

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Tuesday 27th August 2013, 22:29pm

Newcastle United 1 v.s 0 Exeter City

ay4jcy.jpg

Newcastle scraped their way into the Capital One Cup third round, a late goal from Emmanuel Riviere helping them past League Two minnows Exeter City.

There was ninety four minutes on the clock when the Frenchman expertly headed a Moussa Sissoko cross past Jamie Young to break Exeter fans hearts. The tired legs of the visitors were evident and when Sissoko was played through down the line by Davide Santon he had all the time in the world to pick a cross out for his fellow countryman who glanced the ball past the goalkeeper from six yards out. Relief on the field for the Newcastle players and also in the stands for the healthy crowd of just under twenty thousand for this second round tie.

The Magpies were deserved winners and really could have had the tie sealed long before injury time. Twenty shots on goal compared to Exeter’s two tells the whole story of the game but the home side were extremely wasteful in front of goal, something that has also been evident in their past two Premier League games where they have only scored one goal. Ayoze Perez was lively for the Magpies and it was his effort on seventeen minutes that forced the best save of the match from Jamie Young. Vurnon Anita played a pinpoint through ball that split the defence sending Riviere through on goal and when the Frenchman pulled the ball back to Perez on the penalty spot you were expecting the net to bulge. The Spaniards effort was tame though and Young managed to fling himself across his goal and push the ball wide with the help of the goalpost.

Thomas Tuchel stated after the win that he was ‘relieved’ to have gone through to the next round but that a lot of work will need to be done before his side travel to North London to face Arsenal on Monday night. The German boss also confirmed that the Magpies had rejected an offer from Russian club Zenit St Petersburg for midfielder Moussa Sissoko, the fee believed to be around twelve million pounds. BBCSport also understands that Newcastle are pursuing one more transfer target and hope to bring him in before the end of the transfer window in six days.

-

Newcastle United: Krul, Santon, Williamson ©, Sorensen, Haidara, Anita, Colback, Riviere, Perez (Campbell 19), Gouffran (Sissoko 59), Cisse

Subs not used: Elliot, Janmaat, Sviathcenko, Bigirimana, De Jong

Goals: Riviere (90+4)

Yellow cards: Santon

Exeter City: Young, Ribeiro, Baldwin ©, Moore-Taylor (Grimes 67), Woodman, Bennett, Butterfield (Heidari 90), Sercombe, Wheeler, Keohane (Tilson 74), Nichols

Subs not used: Pym, Jamie Reid, Gill, Josh Reid

Attendance: 19, 596

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Monday 2nd September 2013, 22:47pm

Arsenal 3 v.s 2 Newcastle United

9r6ryb.jpg

It is now back to back defeats in the Premier League for Newcastle after they were beaten 3-2 by an Olivier Giroud inspired Arsenal this evening.

Despite Arsenal’s dominance in the first half it was the visitors that took a shock lead just before half time. Remy Cabella curled in a delightful corner towards the far post where Fabricio Coloccini managed to rise above Calum Chambers to plant a header into the back of the Arsenal net. The joy was short-lived for Newcastle though as Arsenal were awarded a soft free kick on the edge of the area three minutes into first half added time. Mikel Arteta expertly curled the ball over the wall and into the top corner to make sure the teams went in level at the break.

The home side then took the lead for the first time in the game when Olivier Giroud managed to connect to fellow countryman and former Newcastle man Mathieu Debuchy’s cross to power a header into the roof of Tim Krul’s goal. It was that man again who got Arsenal’s third goal to kill the game off when he brought down Santi Cazorla’s lobbed through ball with his chest before cutting inside and calmly stroking the ball into the bottom corner, leaving Krul with no chance.

Newcastle did manage to pull a goal back early into added time to set up a nervy final few minutes for the home side. Daryl Janmaat launched the ball up field and when Per Mertesacker missed his clearance, the ball fell kindly to Papiss Cisse who rifled a half volley past Szczesny from the edge of the area. The best goal of the night undoubtedly but unfortunately for Cisse and the Magpies, it was to count for nothing.

-

Arsenal: Szczesny, Debuchy, Chambers, Mertesacker, Monreal, Arteta ©, Ramsey (Gibbs 61), Wilshere, Sanchez (Cazorla 51), Ozil (Welbeck 45), Giroud

Subs not used: Ospina, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Podolski, Walcott

Goals: Arteta (45+3), Giroud (64, 74)

Yellow cards: Monreal

Newcastle United: Krul, Janmaat, Sviatchenko, Coloccini ©, Santon (Haidara 66), Anita, Tiote, Sissoko, De Jong (Perez 66), Cabella, Ferreyra (Cisse 37)

Subs not used: Sorensen, Bigirimana, Gouffran, Riviere

Goals: Coloccini (44), Cisse (90+1)

Yellow cards: Janmaat, Santon

Attendance: 50, 759

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Saturday 14th September 2013, 19:37pm

Chelsea 2 v.s 2 Newcastle United

21npevn.jpg

Newcastle battled for a point this afternoon at Stamford Bridge with only a late goal from Diego Costa denying them from leaving the capital with all three.

It looked like it was going to be a long afternoon for the visitors as Jose Mourinho’s side started at a ferocious pace and took a deserved lead in the twenty first minute of the game. Davide Santon managed to win the ball from Willian on the edge of the penalty area before knocking a pass back to goalkeeper Tim Krul. The twenty five year old completely miscued his clearance though and the ball fell to the feet of Eden Hazard, thirty yards from goal. The Belgian international took one touch before sending an excellent chip over Tim Krul’s head and into the back of the net. It was a truly sublime finish from Hazard but Newcastle boss Tuchel was left tearing his hair out at what was a totally avoidable goal to concede.

Never less, his side did not let their heads drop and managed to pull level just before the half time whistle was blown. Fabricio Coloccini grabbed his second goal in two games, rising above John Terry to glance a header into the far corner of the goal. It is clear that Newcastle are looking to punish teams from set pieces this season, this being their second goal of the campaign from a Remy Cabella corner.

The Magpies then took a shock lead with seventy four minutes on the clock when Siem De Jong converted from the penalty spot. An excellent solo run from Moussa Sissoko, starting inside his own half, was abruptly brought to a halt when Ramires clattered the Frenchman from behind. Referee Roger East had no other option but to point to the penalty spot and former Ajax man De Jong, calmly sent Petr Cech the wrong way.

Chelsea did manage to pull level though late on, a draw being a fair result from what was quite an even match up. Cesar Azpilicueta swung across a brilliant delivery into the Newcastle box and when Didier Drogba got in front of Coloccini it looked as if the Ivorian was to get his first goal in his second spell at the club. His effort cannoned back off the crossbar but Diego Costa was on hand to muscle Sviatchenko off the ball before bundling it across to the line. Newcastle will be disappointed to concede such a scrappy goal but they will no doubt feel it is a point gained on a ground where they have struggled in recent years.

-

Chelsea: Cech, Azpilicueta, Cahill, Terry, Filipe, Bender (Ramires 70), Obi Mikel, Willian (Oscar 45), Fabregas (Drogba 45), Hazard, Costa

Subs not used: Courtois, Zouma, Salah, Remy

Goals: Hazard (21), Costa (82)

Newcastle United: Krul, Santon, Sviatchenko, Coloccini ©, Haidara, Anita (Bigirimana 77), Tiote, Sissoko, De Jong, Cabella (Perez 84), Ferreyra (Riviere 71)

Subs not used: Janmaat, Sorensen, Colback, Cisse

Goals: Coloccini (45+2), De Jong (Pen 74)

Yellow cards: Anita, Riviere

Attendance: 40, 931

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Saturday 21st September 2013, 14:58pm

Newcastle United 7 v.s 1 Manchester City

a23u4x.jpg

Newcastle stunned champions Manchester City in today’s early kick off, crushing Manuel Pellegrini’s side by seven goals to one and in the process, inflicting the heaviest defeat of the Chilean bosses long managerial career.

St James Park was like a cauldron right from the first whistle and the players responded to the atmosphere, taking an eighth minute lead against a very shaky Man City defence. Lacazette took a quick throw in down the right hand side which Moussa Sissoko controlled well before pulling back to Cheik Tiote on the edge of the area. Urged to shoot by the home fans, the Ivorian clipped a delicate chip over the Man City defence which Facundo Ferreyra volleyed home past Willy Caballero. Their joy was short lived however, as the visitors equalised almost instantly. Set free down the left, Aleksandar Kolarov whipped in a vicious cross which Sviatchenko could only half clear. The ball fell to the feet of David Silva who took one touch before bending the ball round a batch of bodies and into the far corner of Tim Krul’s goal.

The Magpies didn’t have to wait long to regain the lead. A nice one two down the left hand side between Davide Santon and Moussa Sissoko resulted in the Italian curling a cross in towards Ferreyra at the near post. The Argentine shrugged off the attentions of Vincent Kompany before glancing his header into net, doubling his tally for the game with only fourteen minutes on the clock. The loanee then completed a sensational hatrick just past the half hour mark when he controlled Lacazette’s cross field pass before firing a low shot from the edge of the area which managed to sneak under the palms of Cabellero in the Man City goal.

It was to be four just minutes later and it was that man again, Ferreyra, who embarrassed the Man City defence with a brilliant solo run before finishing it off with a delightful dink over the body of the onrushing goalkeeper. Newcastle were in dreamland and it was to get even better just before half time when Remy Cabella notched their fifth goal of the game, capitalising on a defensive error by Pablo Zabaleta before calmly stroking the ball into the bottom corner from just inside the area.

Manuel Pellergini’s stern words at half time obviously didn’t inspire his players as the home side kept on pressing and were rewarded with a sixth just after the hour mark, Siem De Jong grabbing his second goal of the season. Lacazette, who had terrorised Kolarov all game with his direct running, once again beat the Serbian international and when he aimed a cross towards the near post there was only going to be one winner between De Jong and Demichelis. The former Ajax man took one touch before thundering an effort in off the underside of the crossbar.

The scoring was complete with three minutes remaining when De Jong grabbed his second of what was quite a sensational game. A long ball forward by Frederik Sorensen was flicked on brilliantly by Ayoze Perez, the ball falling perfectly to set De Jong through on goal. The twenty four year old made no mistake with the finish, passing the ball through the legs of Caballero to round off one of Newcastle’s greatest Premier League performances.

-

Newcastle United: Krul, Santon, Sviatchenko (Sorensen 61), Coloccini ©, Haidara, Sissoko, Tiote, Lacazette (Gouffran 78), De Jong, Cabella, Ferreyra (Perez 78)

Subs not used: Janmaat, Anita, Bigirimana, Riviere

Goals: Ferreyra (8, 15, 31, 36), Cabella (42), De Jong (64, 87)

Yellow cards: Sviatchenko

Manchester City: Cabellero, Zabaleta, Kompany ©, Demichelis (Nastasic 72), Kolarov, Toure, Fernandinho (Sagna 52), Nasri (Milner 64), Aguero, Silva, Dzeko

Subs not used: Hart, Mangala, Sinclair, Jovetic

Goals: Silva (9)

Yellow cards: Kompany, Toure, Nasri

Attendance: 52, 007

5ee88k.jpg

@MVFCLFC - Thanks very much, appreciate your comments!

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Tuesday 24th September 2013, 22:25pm

Sheffield Wednesday 0 v.s 2 Newcastle United

juv2nq.jpg

Goals from Remy Cabella and Alexandre Lacazette helped Newcastle progress to the fourth round of the Capital One Cup this evening, beating Sheffield Wednesday 2-0.

Thomas Tuchel named a strong side for his team’s trip to Hillsborough with Mike Williamson, Vurnon Anita, Yoan Gouffran and Ayoze Perez coming in to the first eleven after a sensational victory over Manchester City at the weekend. A quiet opening forty five minutes by both sides seen chances at a premium but a moment of magic from Remy Cabella on the half hour broke the deadlock. Collecting the ball just inside the Wednesday half, the French International strode forward, beating three defenders before calmly chipping the ball over the body of the onrushing goalkeeper. A truly sublime goal by the twenty three year old, following up from his debut Premier League goal at the weekend.

Stuart Gray’s Wednesday improved in the second half but never really threatened the Premier League side, being limited to shots from distance which rarely ended up on target. The game looked to be drawing to a 1-0 finish until Alexandre Lacazette grabbed his first competitive goal in Newcastle colours. Massadio Haidara flighted a lovely cross field ball to Facundo Ferreyra on the edge of the area who perfectly flicked the ball into the path of Lacazette. The former Lyon man took one touch to control before sliding an effort into the far corner of the goal in front of the jubilant travelling Toon Army.

After the game Thomas Tuchel had this to say about his team’s performance ‘We’re delighted to come away from Sheffield still being in the draw for the next round. I know this club has had trouble with cup competitions in the past but we really would like to bring some silverware to the club this season and we feel like the cups give us our best chance’. The draw for the fourth round of the cup was made straight after the tie where it was confirmed Newcastle will travel Hull City on Tuesday 29th October.

-

Sheffield Wednesday: Westwood, Lees, Kelhar (Dielna 68), Loovens ©, Helan (Mattock 63), Luciano, McCabe, Corry, Drenthe, Maguire, Hope (Madine 57)

Subs not used: Wildsmith, Maghoma, Coke, Lee

Yellow cards: Lees

Newcastle United: Krul, Janmaat, Sviatchenko, Williamson, Haidara, Anita, Tiote © (Bigirimana 83), Riviere (Lacazette 83), Perez (Cabella 8), Gouffran, Ferreyra

Subs not used: Sorensen, Santon, Colback, De Jong

Goals: Cabella (30), Lacazette (90+5)

Attendance: 17, 143

5ee88k.jpg

@cplpeters1900 - Me too mate! Strange game, every time we attacked we just looked like scoring (and did!). Definitely not like real life ha.

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Sunday 29th September 2013, 18:44pm

Newcastle United 3 v.s 0 Crystal Palace

2aiotpi.jpg

Magpies striker Facundo Ferreyra followed up his four goals against Manchester City last week with another three today to help seal a third straight victory for Thomas Tuchel’s men in all competitions.

The first half was a very tight affair with both sides cancelling each other out. The visitors arguably had the better of the opening forty five and Korean forward Lee Dong Gook wasted a great opening for the Eagles when he shot wide after a cut back on the edge of the area from Wilfried Zaha. Newcastle’s best chance of the first half fell to Alexandre Lacazette, who netted his first goal for the club in midweek, but the Frenchman couldn’t keep his effort down, the ball skimming the bar on its way over.

A ferocious start to the second period from the home side indicated that stern words had been said at half time in the changing room and they seemed to work as they took the lead with fifty five minutes gone. Remy Cabella skipped past the challenge of full back Joel Ward before clipping a delightful cross in towards the back post. Palace centre back Brede Hangeland missed his headed clearance and the ball fell at the feet of Ferreyra who took one touch to compose himself before poking the ball under the body of Hennessey from eight yards out.

Thomas Tuchel’s side then doubled their lead just three minutes later and it was that man again, Facundo Ferreyra, finishing of a sweeping counter attack. Breaking from a Crystal Palace corner, Moussa Sissoko sent fellow countryman Lacazette down the right wing. The former Lyon man beat Zeki Fryers in a straight sprint for the ball and curved his cross in towards the back post where Ferreyra was lurking to power a header in off the crossbar. Two goals in three minutes for the Toon Army and the game was effectively over.

The Argentine then completed his second hatrick in successive Premier League games when he collected the ball twenty five yards out before bending an effort between two Crystal Palace defenders, the ball taking a slight nick off the shoulder of Scott Dann, before nestling in the far corner of the Crystal Palace goal. That’s now seven goals in two appearances for the former Shakhtar Donetsk striker and there is talk that the Magpies are looking to make his loan move permanent and that a deal may be completed as early as January. It could prove a very shrewd investment indeed.

-

Newcastle United: Krul, Janmaat, Sviatchenko, Coloccini ©, Santon (Haidara 66), Sissoko, Tiote (Anita 66), Lacazette (Riviere 66), De Jong, Cabella, Ferreyra

Subs not used: Sorensen, Colback, Bigirimana, Gouffran

Goals: Ferreyra (55, 58, 81)

Yellow cards: Santon, Tiote

Crystal Palace: Hennessey, Ward, Hangeland, Dann, Fryers (Delaney 78), McArthur, Jedinak ©, Zaha, Chamakh, Thomas (Puncheon 72), Dong-Gook

Subs not used: Speroni, Mariappa, Inniss, Berkeley-Agyepong, Campbell

Attendance: 42, 471

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Sunday 6th October, 17:03pm

Hull City 3 v.s 4 Newcastle United

2l9myia.jpg

There was another goal fest for Newcastle this afternoon as they came out victorious from a topsy turvy encounter away to Hull City.

Three wins in a row for the Magpies had the players brimming in confidence and this was evident from the start they made in the match. There was only eleven minutes on the clock when summer signing Alexandre Lacazette put the visitors in front. Pressing high up the pitch, Remy Cabella stole the ball from Elmohamady before switching the ball to Lacazette on the opposite flank. The former Lyon man only had one thing in his mind and once he had taken one touch to control, he rifled a half volley across the goalmouth and into the far corner of the Hull City net.

It was 2-0 just minutes later, Facundo Ferreyra keeping up the hot scoring streak he is currently on. Davide Santon played a fine ball down the wing to set Lacazette away and when the Frenchman curled a cross into the six yard box there was confusion in the home sides defence, allowing Ferreyra in to poke the ball under the body of Allan McGregor. Newcastle’s day was to get even better when Lacazette grabbed his second of the game, again capitalising on some woeful defending before scuffing an effort through the legs of the goalkeeper from an extremely tight angle.

Something had to change for the Tigers in the second half and it did on fifty six minutes when a long ball wasn’t dealt with by the Newcastle back four, thus allowing Yannick Sagbo to creep in behind and loop a header over Tim Krul. The Ivorian then grabbed his second goal just five minutes later when he latched onto a pin point through ball by Tom Huddlestone before thundering a shot in off the crossbar from just inside the area. Renewed hope for the home side and their supporters.

Any thoughts of a comeback by the Hull City fans were short-lived though as Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini rose the highest to head home from a Remy Cabella cross after his initial corner was cleared back out to him. Steve Bruce still urged his side to attack though and Sagbo grabbed his hatrick on seventy two minutes with the best goal of the game. Gaston Ramirez and Mohammed Diame linked up well in midfield before the Uruguayan spread the ball out wide to Sagbo. The twenty five year old sharply cut inside before firing an effort into the far top corner from all of thirty yards.

There was to be no comeback though for the home side and Thomas Tuchel’s travelling Toon Army have now made it four wins on the spin in all competitions. The Tyneside club seem to be hitting good form ahead of the upcoming Tyne-Wear derby at the end of the month. The Premier League will now have a fortnight rest as International teams prepare for their respective fixtures.

-

Hull City: McGregor, Elmohamady, Chester (Brady 56), Dawson, Figueroa, Ramirez, Huddlestone ©, Diame, Snodgrass (Davies 45), Sagbo, Jelavic (Aluko 71)

Subs not used: Jakupovic, Robertson, Livermore, Meyler

Goals: Sagbo (56, 61, 71)

Yellow cards: Figueroa

Newcastle United: Krul, Santon, Sviatchenko, Coloccini ©, Haidara, Anita, Tiote, Lacazette (Riviere 59), De Jong (Colback 64), Cabella, Ferreyra

Subs not used: Janmaat, Williamson, Bigirimana, Gouffran, Cisse

Goals: Lacazette (11, 26), Ferreyra (16), Coloccini (64)

Attendance: 23, 471

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Sunday 20th October 2013, 15:39pm

Newcastle United 2 v.s 1 Burnley

2dj4ft4.jpg

Goals from Argentine duo Fabricio Coloccini and Facundo Ferreyra helped Newcastle to their fifth win in a row in all competitions this afternoon.

Thomas Tuchel’s side are seemingly full of confidence at the moment after an excellent few weeks and it showed in their play in today’s encounter. Peppering the visitor’s goal with efforts right from the first whistle, it always seemed a matter of when and not if the first goal would come. Club captain Fabricio Coloccini duly delivered, providing the opener in the thirty ninth minute when he was left unmarked by the Burnley defence, giving him all the time he needed to plant a header past goalkeeper Matt Gilks from just six yards out. It is now four goals so far this season for the thirty one year old centre back, pulling him level with his tally from his last five seasons in a Newcastle United shirt.

The home side then doubled their lead in stoppage time at the end of the first half, the prolific Facundo Ferreyra grabbing his ninth goal of the campaign. A quick throw in was taking down the left hand side by Massadio Haidara which Siem De Jong brilliantly flicked into the path of Ferreyra who was bounding through towards goal. The on loan striker calmly took the ball round the outstretched arm of Matt Gilks before sweeping it into the unguarded net.

Credit must be given to Burnley for their second half performance where they looked the better team throughout. Danny Ings gave them hope when he grabbed a goal in the eighty fifth minute, pouncing on a whipped cross by Sam Vokes to prod the ball past Tim Krul. The home side then thought they had restored their two goal advantage when Ferreyra hit an excellent half volley into the roof of the net from just inside the area however, the linesman had correctly flagged for offside. The game fizzled out towards the end with the home side happy to keep possession to ensure yet another three points in what has been a fantastic start for the Toon Army.

-

Newcastle United: Krul, Santon, Sviatchenko (Sorensen 73), Coloccini ©, Haidara, Anita, Tiote (Bigirimana 73), Lacazette (Riviere 10), De Jong, Cabella, Ferreyra

Subs not used: Janmaat, Sissoko, Perez, Cisse

Goals: Coloccini (39), Ferreyra (45+1)

Bunley: Gilks, Reid, Keane, Shackell ©, Mee, Kightly (Trippier 58), Marney, Chalobah, Boyd, Barnes (Vokes 63), Ings

Subs not used: Cisak, Duff, Jones, Wallace, Long

Goals: Ings (85)

Attendance: 44, 110

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Saturday 26th October 2013

Newcastle United v.s Sunderland – LIVE!

wqtsnp.jpg2pzipo0.jpg

Welcome to BBCSport’s live feed coverage of this afternoons Tyne Wear derby from St James Park. Newcastle go into the game with five wins in a row in all competitions while Sunderland are struggling, hovering just above the relegation zone.

0’ – It’s the home side that get us underway here with St James’ Park absolutely rocking. Their fans expect nothing less than a win.

2’ – What a chance for Coloccini! Remy Cabella curled in an excellent corner and the Newcastle captain managed to get in front of Lee Cattermole at the near post, only to see his header hit the side netting.

9’ – A brilliant save by Itumeleng Khune has kept the Black Cats level. Anita wriggled free of two challenges before dinking a ball into the box to Ayoze Perez who saw his header pushed wide by the Sunderland keeper.

17’ – Newcastle will be wondering how they’re not in front in this game as Facundo Ferreyra has just wasted a magnificent chance. Massadio Haidara whipped in a cross towards the back post but the unmarked Argentine could only plant his header straight at the goalkeeper.

22’ – Ricky Alvarez has just had a half chance for Sunderland but the man on loan from Inter Milan rushed his shot from the edge of the area and the ball trickled harmlessly wide.

24’ – What a save by Khune! Remy Cabella curled a free kick over the Sunderland wall but the South Africa stopper flung himself across the goal to push it wide for a corner. Not quite sure how this game is still 0-0.

xclmz6.jpg 38’ – Billy Jones is shown the first yellow card of the game for a cynical foul on Ayoze Perez.

43’ – Moussa Sissoko has his head in his hands as he has just wasted the best opening of the first half. The Frenchman did well to make himself space at the back post but instead of going at the cross with his head, he tried to raise his boot and connect with a volley. The ball ended up skimming off the top of his laces and wide of the goal.

o91do3.jpg 45+2 – That’s the half time whistle! It’s been an entertaining first half and Thomas Tuchel will be wondering how his side aren’t in front. Gus Poyet needs to find a way to get his side into this game but while it’s still 0-0, they’ve still got a chance of sneaking a win.

xclmz6.jpg 46’ – Vurnon Anita is the first Newcastle player in the book after tripping Fernando Gago as he tried to start a Sunderland counter attack.

64 – Sunderland have just came close to taking a shock lead here! Jack Rodwell picked Ricky Alvarez out with a pin point pass and with the Argentine bearing down on goal there looked to be only one outcome. Tim Krul spread himself well though and managed to block the effort before it was cleared away by Fabricio Coloccini.

70’ – The Magpies may start to think that it isn’t going to be their day as Khune denies them again. This time it is Remy Cabella who tries his luck from just outside the area but Khune majestically tips the ball over his crossbar.

eq5jsz.jpg 73' – Belarus international Vitaliy Rodionov is brought on for Adam Johnson who has had a quiet game today.

rvdb2t.jpg 73’ – GOAL NEWCASTLE! It’s finally arrived and this stadium is absolutely bouncing. Remy Cabella bent a corner into the six yard box and when Fabricio Coloccini managed to glance a header on, there was Facundo Ferreyra lurking at the back post to prod home from 4 yards. Pandemonium in the stands and also on the bench as Thomas Tuchel punches the air.

80’ – Is this going to be a costly miss by Newcastle? Santon played a lovely pass down the line to Sissoko and when he powered his way into the penalty area past Van Aanholt there looked to be only one outcome. The twenty four year old managed to screw his shot wide though and it stays 1-0.

eq5jsz.jpg 82’ – Double change by Thomas Tuchel as Riviere and Cisse come on for Sissoko and Ferreyra.

eq5jsz.jpg 83’ – Liam Bridcutt is on for Lee Cattermole. Will fresh legs help them find a leveller?

rvdb2t.jpg 86’ - GOAL NEWCASTLE! They’ve sealed the three points now and what a time to get your first Newcastle goal for Erik Sviatchenko. Cabella dinked a free kick into the penalty area and when Sunderland failed to clear, the Danish centre back was on hand to power an effort past Khune. Game over.

88’ – A great chance for Sunderland but Rodinov is denied by a fingertip save from Tim Krul. It seems Sunderland have woken up from their slumber but it’s surely too late to rescue anything now.

33x7qs5.jpg 90+4 – FULL TIME! That’s it, Lee Mason checks his watch and blows the full time whistle. The stadium erupts and Thomas Tuchel has his first Tyne Wear derby victory as Newcastle boss.

Final score - Newcastle United 2 v.s 0 Sunderland

-

Newcastle United: Krul, Santon, Sviatchenko, Coloccini ©, Haidara, Anita, Tiote, Sissoko (Riviere 82), Cabella, Perez, Ferreyra (Cisse 82)

Subs not used: Janmaat, Sorensen, Colback, Bigirimana, Gouffran

Goals: Ferreyra (73), Sviatchenko (86)

Yellow cards: Anita

Sunderland: Khune, Jones, Vergini, O’Shea ©, Van Aanholt, Cattermole (Bridcutt 83), Rodwell, Gago, Johnson (Rodionov 73), Alvarez, Fletcher

Subs not used: Pantilimon, Brown, Coates, Cabral, Larsson

Yellow cards: Jones, Cattermole, Gago

Attendance: 52, 405

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Tuesday 29th October 2013, 22:41pm

Hull City 3 v.s 4 Newcastle United

kag0no.jpg

Newcastle United have this evening progressed to the Capital One Cup quarter finals after a 4-3 victory over Hull City at the KC stadium, matching the result of the Premier League fixture here two weeks ago.

It was the home side that took the lead with only eleven minutes on the clock and the goal came from a very unlikely source. Gaston Ramirez whipped in a corner from the right hand side and when Tim Krul’s punch deflected off his own defender and dropped six yards out, centre back Paul McShane was on hand to prod home and score his first goal in over ten months. Newcastle were level almost immediately though when Facundo Ferreyra made the most of Hull’s shaky defence, powering his way through before slotting the ball into the bottom corner from just inside the area.

Remy Cabella then fired the Magpies in front midway through the first half when defender Andrew Robertsen dispossessed Riviere on the edge of the area, only for the ball to land at the feet of Cabella who swept the ball home. Gaston Ramirez protested with the officials that Cabella was in an offside position however, replays confirmed that the touch beforehand came off a Hull City player. The game was an excellent fast flowing spectacle and Hull were level just four minutes after going behind when Robert Snodgrass executed a superb lob from twenty five yards which Tim Krul could only watch float over his head and nestle into the net.

Steve Bruce and his side thought that they had done enough to go in level at the break but two minutes into first half injury time, Remy Cabella grabbed his second goal of the game. Cheik Tiote won the ball in the middle of the park before spreading it out to the left wing where the Frenchman was lurking. A quick change of pace saw Cabella bring the ball inside before unleashing a ferocious drive towards goal. Although Joe Cracknell in the Hull City goal could get two hands to it, the effort was too powerful and flew into the net. The Magpies then gave themselves a two goal cushion just before the hour mark when Yoan Gouffran latched onto a through ball by Moussa Sissoko before lifting the ball over the body of the onrushing goalkeeper for his first goal of the season.

Hull made sure that the game kept a competitive edge to it until the final whistle when Nikica Jelavic continued his good form, scoring a fantastic volley from twenty yards out. The Croatian international saw his first effort deflected into the air by Erik Sviatchenko but he managed to keep his eye on the ball as it bundled up into the air before connecting perfectly with a volley that crashed into the net off the underside of the crossbar. It was Newcastle that were celebrating at the full time whistle though and the draw after the game confirmed that Thomas Tuchel will be taking his side to White Hart Lane to face Tottenham on Tuesday 17th November.

-

Hull City: Cracknell, Elmohamaday (Rosenior 78), Chester, McShane ©, Robertson, Snodgrass (Quinn 45), Ramirez, Meyler, Brady (Bruce 57), Aluko, Jelavic

Subs not used: Watson, Dawson, Maguire, Ince

Goals: McShane (11), Snodgrass (25), Jelavic (61)

Yellow cards: Meyler, Robertson, Quinn, McShane

Newcastle United: Krul, Janmaat, Sviatchenko (Sorensen 64), Coloccini ©, Santon, Sissoko, Tiote, Riviere (Anita 64), Cabella, Gouffran, Ferreyra (Perez 90)

Subs not used: Haidara, Colback, Bigirimana, Cisse

Goals: Ferreyra (13), Cabella (21, 45+2), Gouffran (57)

Yellow cards: Coloccini, Sviatchenko

Attendance: 19, 227

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Saturday 2nd November, 18:01pm

Leicester City 0 v.s 1 Newcastle United

23vdx1x.jpg

Newcastle United kept their sensational winning run going this afternoon, beating newly promoted Leicester City 1-0 at the King Power Stadium.

The only goal of the game come with only sixteen minutes of normal time remaining and it was substitute Emmanuel Riviere who grabbed it, sending the travelling Toon Army bonkers. Massadio Haidara played a delightful pass down the left wing to Ayoze Perez and the young Spaniard showed Danny Simpson a clean pair of heels, bursting into the box where he pulled the ball back for Moussa Sissoko. The Magpies midfielder was crowded out by three Leicester defenders but calmly spread an inch perfect pass across to the far side of the penalty area where Riviere was lurking to sweep home past Kasper Schmeichel.

Nigel Pearson was left frustrated at his team’s inability to finish off chances that they were creating. They were particularly wasteful in the opening forty five where striker Jamie Vardy could have easily had a hatrick against a nervy Newcastle backline. The former Fleetwood Town man seemed to panic whenever presented with a chance and this was most evident in the sixteenth minute of the game when he flicked a Paul Konchesky cross wide from only six yards out. The twenty six year old also wasted a great opportunity in the thirty fourth minute when he latched onto a through ball from veteran Esteban Cambiasso only for the ball to get stuck under his feet when running towards goal, Fabricio Coloccini rushing in to sweep up the danger.

Leicester, who have only achieved one win since the opening day, kept their high pressure up in the second half but struggled to fashion any real chances against a Newcastle back line that looked like it had received some stern words at half time. The visitors never really reached their full capacity though and were mostly forced to shots from distance that rarely troubled the Leicester City goal. Thomas Tuchel will no doubt be relieved that his side can play as poorly as they did today and still come away with all three points but improvement is definitely needed. The German stated to the media after the game that his side were ‘lucky’ today and that an ‘upgraded performance’ is needed for when they travel to The Hawthorns to play West Bromwich Albion in seven days’ time.

-

Leicester City: Schmeichel, Simpson, Morgan ©, Moore, Konchesky, Pepe (Knockaert 48), King (James 59), Cambiasso, Powell, Ulloa, Vardy (Bakayogo 72)

Subs not used: Hamer, Upson, De Laet, Wasilewski

Yellow cards: Cambiasso

Newcastle United: Krul, Santon, Sviatchenko, Coloccini ©, Haidara, Anita, Tiote, Sissoko, Cabella (Riviere 61), Perez (Gouffran 74), Ferreyra (Cisse 61)

Subs not used: Janmaat, Sorensen, Colback, Bigirimana

Goals: Riviere (74)

Attendance: 21, 988

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Saturday 9th November 2013, 19:23pm

West Bromwich Albion 1 v.s 1 Newcastle United

1jal9k.jpg

Newcastle United’s winning run was finally halted this evening after they could only pick up a draw against Premier League bottom side West Bromwich Albion.

The visitors started brightly and should have been ahead after eighteen minutes, Remy Cabella wasting a great opportunity after being played through on goal by Emmanuel Riviere. The twenty three year old tried to round Ben Foster but the England international had read what Cabella was planning and gobbled the ball up at his feet. The West Bromwich Albion keeper was again busy just before the break as he produced a fingertip save to deny Vurnon Anita from close range.

A bright start to the second half saw the home side rewarded as they took the lead just before the hour mark. Chris Brunt won the ball in the middle of the park before slotting a perfect through ball down the left wing to Gareth McAuley. The Northern Ireland defender hit a wicked first time cross into the Newcastle penalty area which James Morrison met with an inch perfect header that clipped the post as it flew into the net. It was the Scot’s first goal of the season and it looked as if it could be sending West Brom on their way to a crucial three points.

It wasn’t to be though and Thomas Tuchel’s side levelled only sixty four seconds after going behind. Remy Cabella was given the ball by Facundo Ferreyra and the Frenchman drove forward at a nervy defence, drawing the two centre backs towards him before expertly threading a pass to Ayoze Perez. The Spaniard took one touch to control before slotting the ball through the legs of Ben Foster for his first competitive goal for the North East club.

Both sides pressed for a winner and substitute Papiss Cisse came ever so close to putting his side in front with just minutes remaining. The Senegalese striker got on the end of a dangerous cross, only to see his glanced header trickle wide of the far post. Groans from the Newcastle end while the home fans breathed a huge sigh of relief.

-

West Bromwich Albion: Foster, Baird, McAuley, Lescott (Dawson 70), Pocognoli, Morrison, Gardner (Dorrans 77), Mulumbu, Brunt ©, Ideye, Berahino

Subs not used: Myhill, Wisdom, Davidson, Gamboa, Sessegnon

Goals: Morrison (59)

Newcastle United: Krul, Santon, Sviatchenko, Coloccini ©, Haidara, Sissoko, Anita (Bigirimana 79), Riviere (Gouffran 79), Cabella (Cisse 61), Perez, Ferreyra

Subs not used: Janmaat, Sorensen, Williamson, Colback

Goals: Perez (60)

Attendance: 26, 028

5ee88k.jpg

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Monday 25th November, 21:58pm

Tottenham Hotspur 1 v.s 2 Newcastle United

2w2hkyc.jpg

Newcastle bounced back from a disappointing draw in their previous Premier League game against West Brom to claim an excellent three points at White Hart Lane this evening.

Emmanuel Riviere led the line for the Magpies in the absence of top scorer Facundo Ferreyra and it was the Frenchman’s hard work and determination that helped put the visitors in front after sixteen minutes. Collecting the ball down the right hand side, the frontman drove at Kyle Naughton before clipping a cross towards the back post where Remy Cabella was lurking. The former Montpellier man miscued his volley, firing it back across goal, however, Assou Ekotto was unable to adjust his feet quick enough and the ball rebounded off the Cameroon international and into the net past team mate Hugo Lloris.

Maurico Pochettino didn’t have to wait long for an equaliser though as his side were level just three minutes later. Harry Kane rose highest to flick a header into the path of Erik Lamela and the Argentine sharply turned inside past fellow countryman Fabricio Coloccini before bending the ball into the far corner of the goal from just outside the area. After a first season that was dogged with injuries, it seems Tottenham fans are now seeing the best of Erik Lamela, this being his sixth goal of the season.

Both teams continued to attack with both goalkeepers forced into numerous saves. It was the travelling Toon Army that were to take all three points back to the North East though when Riviere nodded them in front just after the hour mark. Moussa Sissoko won the ball in midfield from Nabil Bentaleb before spraying a pass out wide to Siem De Jong. The twenty four year old curled a cross over the heads of both Spurs centre backs to Riviere who made no mistake, powering a header in off the underside of the crossbar. The home side huffed and puffed to try and find a leveller but were unable to break down a sturdy Newcastle back line which held out until the full time whistle.

-

Tottenham Hotspur: Lloris, Naughton, Kaboul ©, Fazio (Chiriches 51), Assou-Ekotto, Bentaleb, Dembele, Lamela, Kane (Chadli 45), Lennon (Townsend 45), Soldado

Subs not used: Vorm, Dombaxe, Capoue, Adebayor

Goals: Lamela (19)

Newcastle United: Krul, Santon, Sviatchenko, Sorensen (Williamson 89), Haidara, Anita, Tiote ©, Sissoko, De Jong (Bigirimana 80), Cabella, Riviere (Perez 80)

Subs not used: Janmaat, Colback, Gouffran, Cisse

Goals: Assou-Ekotto OG (16), Riviere (64)

Attendance: 35, 541

5ee88k.jpg

@MVFCLFC - Thank you, although you're probably not too pleased with this result! Cheers for following, much appreciated.

2nso1zo.jpg

Last Updated: Saturday 30th November 2013, 14:29pm

Newcastle United 2 v.s 0 Liverpool

286ti1l.jpg

Newcastle kept their magnificent unbeaten run going in today’s early Premier League kick off, comfortably beating Brendan Rodgers Liverpool 2-0.

The Magpies were dominant throughout the first half but it took until the forty second minute for them to find a way past Simon Mignolet. Quickly counter attacking from a Liverpool corner, Remy Cabella brought the ball forward with pace, easily skipping past the challenges of Lucas Leiva and Glen Johnson. This created a two on one situation and when Sakho decided to close down the ball, Cabella squared to his fellow countryman on the edge of the area who thundered an effort into the top corner of the goal leaving Mignolet with no chance. It was no less than Thomas Tuchel’s side deserved after an excellent first forty five.

They carried on their front foot pressing game into the second half and were rewarded on the hour mark when Cabella doubled their lead. A foul by former Newcastle left back Jose Enrique on fellow Spaniard Ayoze Perez gave Newcastle a free kick opportunity, thirty yards from goal but in a central position. Remy Cabella collected the ball with no hesitation before bending an effort over the wall and past the outstretched glove of Mignolet. A truly superb goal from the mercurial Frenchman who was unplayable for most of the game.

Siem De Jong wasted a good opportunity later on in the game when he headed wide from just eight yards out and Ayoze Perez also saw his long range effort sting the palms of Mignolet who had to push the ball over the crossbar. Brendan Rodgers will be bitterly disappointed with his side’s performance today, the closest they came to a goal was when Jordan Henderson ballooned an effort four yards over the Newcastle goal when he latched onto a Steven Gerrard pullback. It was another terrific three points for the home side though who will be relishing the prospect of welcoming Manchester United to St James Park on Tuesday night.

-

Newcastle United: Krul, Santon, Sviatchenko, Sorensen, Haidara, Sissoko, Tiote © (Anita 73), Perez, De Jong (Bigirimana 73), Cabella (Gouffran 73), Riviere

Subs not used: Janmaat, Williamson, Lacazette, Cisse

Goals: Riviere (42), Cabella (60)

Liverpool: Mignolet, Johnson, Subotic, Sakho, Enrique, Leiva, Gerrard ©, Matuidi (Borini 72), Lallana (Henderson 52), Coutinho, Lambert

Subs not used: Jones, Manquillo, Lovren, Can, Hodzic

Yellow cards: Coutinho

Attendance: 50, 788

Archived