Simple Success - An Essentialist Tactical Challenge for Experienced FM 2014 players

This challenge is born out of my summary of the advice given out over the last 5 or so versions of football manager. Which is KISS (Keep it simple stupid). My challenge is this, for players have a good understanding of football manager, to concisely complete the following actions.

1)Pick a team

2)Pick a best 11 from that team - and in 3 sentences explain why

3)Pick a formation that suits that best 11 - and in 3 sentence explain why

4)Pick a style of play that suits that best 11 and formation - and in 3 sentences explain why

5)Pick a max of 5 team shouts that suit that best 11 and formation - and in 3 sentences explain why

It would follow that if you do this, you will have chosen a teams best 11, a formation that suits them and a style of play that suits them, and you will have demonstrated precise and credible knowledge for why you took these actions. I appreciate there may be criticism of this idea and Obviously FM is not as simple as this, but surely if you can tick these 5 boxes you should be well on the way to a very solid foundation that anyone can follow for success!

The reason I think this is important is because it will demonstrate to other players how you play, and offer encouragement. It is also born out of frustration at reading guides to this game that are 10,000 words long! So really im hoping it offers some simple gold nuggets

Extra points- If you want to say do this twice or even thrice for different conditions, say for example I would do this for home or this for away feel free

Extra Extra points- Do this with a range of different strength teams

P.S Anyone that wants any inspiration Lllama does a pretty good job of the above in his pairs and combinations thread

I might be interested to take on this challenge if I get some time this weekend. I do appreciate your thirst for a less verbose style of tactical advice. There is a tendency on these forums (and most other forums on the internet) to point out exceptions to every rule of thumb in replies, and conversely, to guard yourself from every possibility when writing posts. I'm a broad strokes kind of person who like simple rules that will be good enough. Thus for me, and you, and anyone else of our preference, this could become a very useful thread. :)

I couldn't pick a best XI until I've picked the formation and style.

Some initiative/flexibility is allowed!

Although I put it to you that this suggests your knowledge is limited to a preferred formation/style. Which is ok, just pick a team that suits this and pick there best 11, just be able to explain why simply. A really top knotch player should be able to take any team, and get the best out of them by picking the best balanced 11 players in a formation that suits them, in a stye that suits them and then being able to explain why.

What I am essentially looking for, is users to submit a team of 11, a formation, a style, a philosophy and team instructions that are the most effective for whatever team and then be able to explain why they have made those choices simply. What order you do it in is not the important talking point.

Archived