Salary means nothing, but it's the PRINCIPLE of the thing...

I am the manager of Stirling Albion in the SPL. I have won the league title for 10 years straight, I have won everything for the club (Scottish Cup, League Cup, Euro Cup, Champions Cup twice, the World Club Championship, the Super Cup, etc.) The club is making $200 million-plus in profit, we're like the 5th-highest team in reputation...and my current contract is for $4,000/wk. The average salary for the top 5 managers in the SPL is $16,500/wk. My assman just extended his contract for $14,000/wk, my general manager is making $10,000/wk. There are 32 members of my staff making more money than me.

With 16 months left on my current contract, leading the SPL by 7 games, and still in Champions and cup play, I ask for a re-negotiation/extension of my contract, which they agree to. They offer...$4,100/wk. I counter with the maximum allowed (which is only $10,750, even though I can offer staff up to $26,000/wk). They offer $4,200, I come down a little, and after a $4,400 offer, they break off negotiations. A couple weeks later, they try again, and again offer $4,100. I manage to get them up to $5,500, but there will be no "automatic yearly increase" and they wipe out any clauses I try to implement. I just gave 3-4 of my staff a higher raise than the board wants to give me. I walked away this time, and the first job that opens in the EPL, I'm gone (and I'm stealing as many players as I can when I leave...).

Has anyone else had such a problem squeezing blood from a Scottish stone?

I had a similar thing with FC Utd when I got to the premier league. I cant remember the exact wage I was on but it wasnt more than £5k p/w. That was after winning the CL. England offered me the job and offered me £99k pw

• 1 month later...

Update: after making only $6750/wk, Stirling Albion got a new chairman, and after they gave me some upgrades I didn't even request, I dropped by to ask for a raise. I was amazed when the offer came through as $29,000/wk, 5 year contract, and a yearly raise of 5%. So, apparently ownership changes at a promoted low-level team fixes the bug. 400% raise almost makes up for 16 years of sub-standard pay.

Well, I had the same thing happen to me. We had a board take over when we were in the Championship. They reluctantly decided to keep me on board and I was offered a new contract later that year, with a £50 decrease in my salary to a total of £950 per week (previous was £1000 per week).

We gained promotion to Premier League the same season and now, 2 seasons later, they offered me a new contract yet again. This time I negotiated an increase to £1400 per week and an annual increase of 10%. Still though, about half of my staff makes more than me, some up to 3x as much. Not to mention the players, the best paid make just below £40k per week, average is maybe somewhere around £15-18k per week for my senior squad.

My job status is "untouchable" after we've qualified for Europa League (where we advanced from the groups stages) by winning the FA cup last season and we're doing pretty well in the league also.

Archived