Developing a country

If I am looking to develop a smaller national team (with the hopes of winning the WC with them) am I better of playing in the nations league or moving a team from that nation into another League system in a nation nearby. (A bit like moving Celtic into the conference and working my way up)

Depends on the country? I think personally i would keep it in the nations league and try and develop the league around you as much as you do your own club. Achieve success with the club and then bring in young players to loan out to the rest of the league to boost their performance and reputation of those teams.

I would say it depends on the country. Countries such as Andorra, San Marino, Liechtenstein just don't have the population to develop enough decent players and the league is pretty poor. It's possible to get a club from that country competitive in Europe (but will take decades!). Maybe it could work in a smaller nation such as Bosnia, Iceland, Slovenia etc but with a lot of work! Developing youth systems across the league, getting in the best coaches and maybe within a generation or 2, you could be up there challenging. But you need the population, the infrastructure (across the leagues), being competitive in club competitions etc

Archived