Getting the best out of Neymar

Hi guys,

So, I've been with Man Utd for 8 years, and it's been going very well. The club got taken over by a consortium a few years ago, wiping out my club debt and giving me a ridiculous amount of excess cash. So, the natural response, spend £200M bringing Neymar in.

I'm still winning most matches with relative ease, but Neymar is not reaching his potential at all.

I'm looking for any (preferably minor) changes to my system that you guys can suggest that can kick him into action.

So, this is how I've been playing (barring the occasional small changes) for pretty much my entire reign.

Neymar is out in AML as the IF. He rarely gets near 7 match rating - very few assists and very few goals.

p><p>He

Thanks for any help, if you need more details, please ask :D

You're using a rigid philosophy and Be More Disciplined, and Neymar's not in a role that gives him any extra creative freedom. That's probably restricting him somewhat.

Also, changing the left back to an attack duty might help distract the defense on that side a little bit.

It might be interesting to use him as an AP/A out wide to channel the game through him more.

I'd then probably get rid of other playmaker roles, certainly from the other AP, and maybe drop the other winger into midfield.

Hopefully that would make Neymar the preferred option out wide and allow him to wreak havoc coming in.

Thanks for your responses guys.

@SpartyOn

Those are some very good points. The problem I have with such a team wide solution (changing the whole team's mentality) is that they are playing exactly how I want them as a whole, they keep their shape well and keep up a very disciplined short passing game.

This is one of those times I really miss the old sliders.

@ baboyray

I've had to play him as my SC recently due to injury and he is prolific. I've now let him roam a bit, hopefully that'll give him a bit more freedom.

@ deserter

Interesting, I'll be trying that out in some of my smaller matches.

On top of all of your suggestions, I've also changed from higher to lower tempo to hopefully give him (and everyone) a bit more time on the ball.

On top of all of your suggestions, I've also changed from higher to lower tempo to hopefully give him (and everyone) a bit more time on the ball.

With work ball into box and retain possession, I thought the higher tempo could have been essential to keep the ball moving fast enough to break down defenses. Did you lose some cutting edge in your attack?

With all of Neymar's attacking skills, he really should be an IF attack. Having him in a support role is really quite a waste.

I would give the forward an PI of move into channels, to drag the opposition wide and create space in the middle into which Neymar can dribble into and create chances from himself.

I would also consider making the AP into a support role if you think the AP is getting in the way of Neymar's space.

With work ball into box and retain possession, I thought the higher tempo could have been essential to keep the ball moving fast enough to break down defenses. Did you lose some cutting edge in your attack?

It's really not blunted my attacks at all. When I first tinkered with my tactics it was around Christmas time 20/21 season and I was getting wins, but fairly low scoring stats. Towards the season's end I've been getting the best results of my career so far. One month got me 28 goals for to 3 against in 4 games (including Liverpool and Chelsea, my closest competitors).

Neymar has been much improved, ending the season with 18 goals and 13 assists in 31 matches (though trailing Zaha's beastly stats by some way)

@ coupdhaha

Thanks, that all sounds incredibly sensible. Will be trying those changes out right away.

Neymar really does not have the space in the areas you want. With no width on the left, there is space there, but with an AF(A) & AP(A) in the centre - there is not much room up front in goalscoring positions for him. He needs more central space to thrive - so getting that left back forward more would be useful, although, getting your AF and/or AP moving wide or into channels may open up more space for him - the idea being they pull into his space, and he drifts into theirs. Drags defenders and midfielders, as well as getting Neymar into the space you want.

lemme know how it goes :)
Neymar really does not have the space in the areas you want. With no width on the left, there is space there, but with an AF(A) & AP(A) in the centre - there is not much room up front in goalscoring positions for him. He needs more central space to thrive - so getting that left back forward more would be useful, although, getting your AF and/or AP moving wide or into channels may open up more space for him - the idea being they pull into his space, and he drifts into theirs. Drags defenders and midfielders, as well as getting Neymar into the space you want.

Setting the AP to support and having him and the CF (formally AF) to Move Into Channels is exactly what I was looking for. The noticeable amount of space for Neymar to operate is... amazing.

Thanks guys!!

Archived