Dancing in the streets of Raith...again

Gary_Parker

Breaking News

"Sky Sports understands there has been a breakdown in contract talks between Raith Rovers chairman Vladimir Antonov and manager Gary Parker over what is understood to be a perceived change in direction for the club. It is believed that Mr Parker wants the side to focus on building from within rather than signing high profile players. We'll bring you more when we have it"

Jim White sat at the Sky Sports News desk along side his generic attractive female colleague of the day and shook his head in astonishment. "I can't believe this" he said, deadpan into the camera. "We'll bring you more right after this break"

The Sky Sports break ran and the return brought a video highlight of the previous seasons game in Manchester which focused on the after match reaction of Gary Parker to the result. The headline underneath indicated a Crisis in Kirkcaldy as it cut back to Jim White.

"Folks" he started, "We're getting some more news in at Sky Sports that leads us to believe Gary Parker has resigned from Raith Rovers Football Club with immediate effect after a breakdown in talks over a new contract and the future direction of the club."

"We'll go live to our reporter, Charles Patterson in Edinburgh for more, Charles?"

"Thanks Jim" started Charles. "Its our belief that Gary Parker has indeed resigned from Raith Rovers Football Club today after what has been believed to be a disagreement with Vladimir Antonov over the future direction of Raith Rovers. We're trying to speak to either man themselves on this and will have more shortly." he concluded before they returned to the studio.

"Thanks Charles, as he said, we'll bring you more when we have it." Said Jim before moving on the next story.

A few hours passed at Sky Sports and the same stories circulated over and over before the breaking news banner appeared again and it was back to Jim white.

"Folks, we broke a story earlier here on Sky Sports News about Raith Rovers manager Gary Parker appearing to leave his position at Starks Park after a breakdown in contract talks. We can now confirm this as the chairman of Raith Rovers, Vladimir Antonov has released a statement." He said as the camera cut away to a graphic and a quote.

"It is with sadness that today, just 3 days after our amazing unbeaten season and our best Champions League season ever that we have had to part company with our manager. Over the last few days, we have discussed in great detail the future direction of Raith Rovers. It is our aim to push on and take the next step in the Champions League quest. The board felt that signing big name players was the best and possibly the only way to do this. Our manager disagreed with this and wanted to work with both what he had already and from within using young players. While we have confidence in the players we have, we believe we can only move forward by aligning ourselves with even greater players. Our manager disagreed and as such, we have had no choice but to part ways. It has not been an easy move to make and we thank Gary Parker for everything he has done to put Raith Rovers on the footballing map. We'll start to look for the manager to take us forward immediately."

The camera cut back to Jim and whoever in the studio. "Wow" he said, "I can't believe this. We shall try and get a statement from Gary Parker as soon as we can here on Sky Sports News." and with that they cut to break.

Understandably this story went on all day at Sky, reaction was sought from other managers in Scotland and England to enhance and continue the story but the news was clear. Raith Rovers Football Club would be on the lookout for a new manager after 8 years of history being made and records being broken.

As the 10pm news programme started, it was obvious Sky had an update on the situation.

"Good evening all, this is just in with us here at Sky Sports" said Kirsty Gallagher, now taking over from Jim White. "We have a prepared statement from Gary Parker himself that we can give to you exclusively now." she said as she picked up the a4 sheet in front of her.

"It says,

'After days of discussion and deliberation with Vladimir Antonov and the rest of the clubs board, it is with an extremely heavy heart that I can confirm today that I am stepping down as manager of Raith Rovers.

I feel I have no choice but to take the action I have taken as a result of what I could only perceive as an untenable situation within the club. Our vision to move the club forward has changed, it is no longer the vision I wish to carry on with. Having said that, I of course wish nothing but happiness to every Raith Rovers supporter, myself being one of them and I will follow every step of the club in the future. It is sad that I will not be the manager leading these wonderful players forward in front of these amazing fans every week and I thank everyone for their words of support and thanks for the last eight years. I will now take some time off to enjoy some of the other aspects of both life and football before I consider a return to the game.

Once again I thank Raith Rovers Football Club and everyone involved with them for everything they have done for me. Thank you.'

"

They cut back to the studio for the reaction and discussed it all hour. With that I left Raith Rovers, but I left them in a fantastic position and with 8 years of amazing memories for both the club and myself. I was now unemployed but with no shortage of offers. I decided i'd take a break for a season or two and recharge my batteries but as Arnold Schwartzenegger once said..."Hasta la..." no wait, "i'll be back" that was it...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And so the story ends, well that chapter does anyway. I'll be back with a new story based in the same world as this one as soon as the board rules allow me to.

Thanks to everyone who read, commented and enjoyed this. I hope it was at least half as much as I enjoyed writing and sharing. I'll take the time off to read and enjoy all your stories in the meantime. Thanks.

So close to going out with a Champions League Final appearance, but what an achievement to firstly break the `Old Firm' stranglehold, and then build a team of Invincibles from scratch. This has been a tremendous read Gary, congratulations mate. Looking forward to the next one.

Great story, this was. It's probably the right time to move on, as I doubt even you can improve on near-perfection at Raith, but I'm looking forward to seeing where you go and what you do next.

Archived