[FM14] “In football everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team”

Cougar2010

Northern Ireland

Cliftonville

October 2019

International News

U19s

Its the 1st round of qualifying for the 2020 European U19 Championship and Northern Ireland have been drawn in a group with Portugal U19s, Kazakhstan U19s & Serbia U19s. We have four in the squad – Darren Clarke (GK), Roy O'Kane (DL), Marty Duff (DRL) & Glenn Brennan (DLC).

Republic of Ireland U19s

They have been drawn in a group with Azerbaijan U19s, Finland U19s & Belgium U19s. Young duel nationality striker Barry Doyle has accepted a call-up.

U21s

We have two call-ups for a friendly against Norway U21s – William Lyons (DM) & John McDonald (ML)

Saturday 5th October 2019 – Northern Ireland Danske Bank Premiership (10/38)

Linfield (1st) 3-0 Cliftonville (3rd)

Goals: McGovern (og 22), Clarke-Harris (32), Miller (60)

MOTM: Miller (8.8)

Between dropped points & injuries its not a good time to face an inform Linfield. With chances missed at both ends early on I think we might stand a chance but those thoughts quickly evaporate when McGovern deflects a cross into his own net and it gets worse when Campbell gives the ball away allowing Clarke-Harris to double the lead. Poor passing and missed chances mean the game is already lost by the time Miller adds a third in the second half as suddenly our recent draws start to look very costly.

Tuesday 8th October 2019 – Northern Irish League Cup (3rd Round)

Ballymena Utd (Danske Bank Premiership) 2-1 Cliftonville (Danske Bank Premiership)

Goals: Owens (33, 83) ; Mooney (39)

MOTM: Owens (8.8)

An even match sees Ballymena Utd strike first when Owens gets played through but we quickly respond when a corner isn't cleared with Mooney stabbing in the loose ball. We are the better team in the second half but our failure to find the net costs us when Owens heads in a corner late on to send us crashing out.

Saturday 19th October 2019 – Northern Ireland Danske Bank Premiership (11/38)

Cliftonville (3rd) 3-1 Ballymena Utd (11th)

Goals: Coulter (20, 53, 90) ; Skillen (pen 61)

MOTM: Coulter (9.5)

Attendance: 978

With no win in four games I'm hoping the return of Harkin from injury will signal a change in our fortunes. After a nervy start a clinical finish from Coulter settles the team down as we take control of the match. Another clinical finish gives us a cushion which we need when Stewart gives away a soft penalty from a deep freekick. The nerves reappear but we look solid in defence and after Coulter misses one chance for a hattrick he finally completes it in injury time to seal a much needed win.

Transfer News

After failing to land my main transfer target in pre-season I kept up the pressure and it finally pays off as I wrench 26yo winger Jim O'Hanlon away from rivals Glentoran – He joins in January for a fee of £20k.

Saturday 26th October 2019 – Northern Ireland Danske Bank Premiership (12/38)

Dundela (9th) 0-3 Cliftonville (3rd)

Goals: Coulter (10, 82), Gormley (27)

MOTM: Coulter (8.8)

Milestone: Sean O'Neill - 300th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Jaimie McGovern - 250th League Appearance for Cliftonville

No changes as I look to build on the Ballymena Utd result and they make a good start with Coulter slipping the ball under the onrushing keeper. Harkin is played through for the second, squaring for Gormley to tap in as confidence is flowing. Dundela rarely trouble us as Coulter adds a third late on with a powerful effort.

Tuesday 29th October 2019 – Northern Irish County Antrim Shield (Semi Final) (Neutral Ground)

Cliftonville (Danske Bank Premiership) 5-1aet Dundela (Danske Bank Premiership)

Goals: O'Hanlon (12, 95, 98, 105, 114) ; Garrett (76)

MOTM: O'Hanlon (10.0)

A rotated squad for the Shield but I'm looking for the same result. We make a solid start with Gormley & McCaul combining to leave O'Hanlon with a tap in as we take the lead. The match falls a little flat after that with Dundela offering nothing while we have a mix of long shots & half chances. Without a cushion Dundela always have a chance and when a late freekick bounces back off the post Garrett is left to tap home against the run of play. I encourage the team to keep playing in extra time and O'Hanlon finds his shooting boots to send us into the final as Dundela crumble.

Team News

Northern Irish County Antrim Shield – Current champions, Linfield edge Glentoran 1-0 in the other semi to set up a repeat of the 2009 & 2015 final.

128LeagueTableOctober2019.png

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northern Ireland

Cliftonville

November 2019

Tuesday 5th November 2019 – Northern Ireland Danske Bank Premiership (13/38)

Cliftonville (3rd) 2-0 Dungannon Swifts (6th)

Goals: Harkin (45), Coulter (85)

MOTM: Harkin (8.3)

Attendance: 1,001

Too much wasted possession early on gives Dungannon control but some tweaks to the tactics encourages the players to keep possession. We work our way into the match and take the lead just before the break when Mooney cuts the ball back for Harkin to drill in. A few half chances go begging for both sides in the second half before Coulter comes off the bench to head in a left wing cross late on which settles the match.

International News

U21s

We have three in the squad for a friendly against Iran U21s – Marty Duff (DRL), Glenn Brennan (DLC) & John McDonald (AML)

U19s

We have five in the squad for a friendly against Azerbaijan U19s – Darren Clarke (GK), Philip McAlea (DC), Josh McEvoy (DC), Billy Bradley (MC/DC) & Brian Murray (MR)

Saturday 9th November 2019 – Northern Ireland Danske Bank Premiership (14/38)

Coleraine (9th) 3-2 Cliftonville (3rd)

Goals: Machude (47), Healy (55), Graham (80) ; Harkin (61), Coulter (62)

MOTM: Harkin (8.9)

Milestone: Brian McCaul - 250th Career League Appearance

We edge the first half but with no goals its all to play for in the second. Coleraine take the lead when Machude heads in a corner and it gets worse for us when Healy adds a second. I change things round as we take the game to Coleraine and Harkin pulls a goal back heading in a freekick before turning provider for Coulter to pull us level. We push hard for a winner but with Coleraine on the ropes Graham heads in another corner to against the run of play to steal the points.

Tuesday 12th November 2019 – Northern Irish County Antrim Shield (FINAL) (Neutral Ground)

Cliftonville (Danske Bank Premiership) 0-3 Linfield (Danske Bank Premiership)

Goals: Knowles (6), Simpson (33), Harkin (75)

MOTM: Knowles (8.3)

I know we face an uphill battle against a Linfield side who seem back to their dominant best over the last year. Any hopes we have go out the window early when Knowles finds the net from 25 yards. We stick with the plan though and frustrate Linfield by restricting them to long shots but lady luck also seems to have deserted us as Simpson makes it two from distance. Despite Linfield creating next to nothing we fair no better and as we gamble in the later stages Linfield finally create a chance as Harkin wraps up the trophy.

Tuesday 26th November 2019 – Northern Ireland Danske Bank Premiership (15/38)

Carrick Rangers (5th) 2-0 Cliftonville (3rd)

Goals: Birney (og 4), Kearney (pen 90)

MOTM: Kenny (7.6)

After the last two matches I'm keen to get back on track but its clear luck is once again against us as a low drilled cross sees Birney find the inside of the far post with his clearance. We dominate the game creating several half chances but our failure to find the net costs us. Deep in injury time a nothing cross sees Birney gift them a soft penalty as we slump to another defeat which puts us well adrift of the title race.

Saturday 30th November 2019 – Northern Ireland Danske Bank Premiership (16/38)

Cliftonville (3rd) 1-1 Portadown (2nd)

Goals: Canning (59) ; Moran (39)

MOTM: Canning (7.4)

Attendance: 1,635

Milestone: Aaron Canning - 150th League Appearance for Cliftonville

Just what we need with our form in the gutter, a visit from high flying Portadown. I rotate the squad & switch formation back to the wide diamond that we played a couple of seasons ago as I look to change our fortunes. As per usual in matches between us its a tight game with few chances but again we find ourselves behind when Moran gets on the end of a right wing cross. We push on in the second half taking a more aggressive and direct approach which pays off when Canning heads in a wide freekick but we can't complete the comeback as we are forced to settle for a point. It might be a good result but its also more dropped points as we slip out of the top three as the board begin to get frustrated.

129LeagueTableNovember2019.png

Northern Ireland

Cliftonville

December 2019

Training Injury: Billy Bradley – Out for about 10 days with a bruised rib

Tuesday 3rd December 2019 – Northern Ireland Danske Bank Premiership (17/38)

Cliftonville (4th) 4-2 Ballinamallard Utd (7th)

Goals: McGovern (2), McCaul (5), Doyle (9, 59) ; Maguire (57, 90)

MOTM: Doyle (9.0)

Attendance: 1,130

A new month and I'm hoping for a change in our luck which we seem to get as we blow Ballinamallard Utd away in the first ten minutes. The captain, McGovern sets the tone early when he forces in a corner before Coulter lays the ball off for McCaul to drill in. Young striker, Doyle finds a little space in the box to add a third and we could have had more before the match settles down. Ballinamallard Utd work their way into the match though and their star striker Maguire pulls one back to give them hope before Doyle fires in from outside the box to dash it. Injury reduces us to ten men for the final few minutes and this gives Maguire the space to add a second consolation.

Manager News

It seems a while since I was invited to an interview and my job stability dropping oddly coincides with an offer from East Fife (Scottish Championship) which I choose to attend.

130EastFifeInterview.png

Saturday 7th December 2019 – Northern Ireland Danske Bank Premiership (18/38)

Loughgall (9th) 2-2 Cliftonville (3rd)

Goals: Irwin (29), O'Neill (og 41) ; Rafferty (og 71), M. Donnelly (80)

MOTM: Irwin (8.2) (Loughgall)

Milestone: Marty Duff - 50th Career Appearance

Milestone: Brian McCaul - 150th League Appearance for Cliftonville

I'm looking to build on the last match but again we find ourselves behind against the run of play when a speculative shot on the angle drifts into the far corner. It gets worse when a scrambled corner sees the ball bounce back into the net off O'Neill. We fight back in the second half but missed chances cost us until McCaul pressures Rafferty during a left wing cross to get us back in the match. M. Donnelly comes off the bench to show the others how to finish but again its dropped points despite playing good football.

Manager News

I reach a crossroads and have a choice to make as East Fife approach me:

131EastFifeJobOffer.png

My initial thoughts are its not the right move for me and wouldn't be much of a step up but on closer inspection I'm warming to the idea as I consider the pros & cons:

Pros

A) East Fife are a full time professional club whilst Cliftonville are part time semi pro.

B) The Scottish Championship is a 2* reputation league ranked 52nd in Europe which is a big step up from the 1* reputation of the Danske Bank Premiership which is ranked 95th.

C) The previous manager left to manage a bigger English club (Chesterfield) leaving East Fife in good shape and on the up.

D) Full time contract and a 50% pay increase.

E) Bigger selection of players to pick from which should mean its easier to improve the team.

Cons

A) Loss of European football for what its worth.

B) One of the smallest clubs in the division with insecure finances.

C) Youth recruitment is much worse.

Thinking back I joined Cliftonville because I hoped it would lead to more opportunities in bigger leagues and East Fife is certainly a step forward in that respect. So with Christmas on the horizon I pack my bags to make the short journey safe in the knowledge that I'm leaving Cliftonville in a slightly better position than when I joined them with some trophies in the cabinet.

Scotland

East Fife

(Started 10.12.19, contract £3,000 a month until May 2021)

132EastFifeBadge.png

Background

East Fife were established in 1903 and are based in the coastal town of Methil. They have local rivalries with other Fife clubs Cowdenbeath & Raith Rovers.

133EastFifeBackground.png

Stadium

Bayview Stadium 1,980 all seater

134EastFifeStadium.png

Affiliated Clubs

Parent Club – Dundee Utd (Scottish Premiership), Loan.

Finances

Well I knew the finances were poor before I joined and that proves to be the case. Last season East Fife made a loss of £269k and the bank account is currently overdrawn to the tune of £331k. On a positive note though there are no loans outstanding and the club has already nearly matched the income it received in the whole of last season.

Staff

The club currently employs the following staff:

Head of Youth, Reserves Manager, Assistant Manager, Coach, GK Coach, U19s Coach, Physio & two scouts.

Scotland

East Fife

Competitions

Over the last twenty years East Fife have been a bit of a yoyo club between the Scottish League 1 & Scottish League 2 but back to back promotions has seen them in the Scottish Championship for the first time since the 1996/97 season. They came up through the playoffs last season after beating Dundee & Queen of the South and currently sit 8th but are clear of the relegation at the moment.

They have been knocked out of all three cup competitions this season but had decent runs in all three - 4th Round of the Scottish Cup, Quarter Finals of the Scottish League Cup & the 3rd Round of the Scottish League Challenge Cup. This leaves me just the one target for this season:

Scottish Championship: Stay Clear of Relegation

135EastFifeOpeningLeagueTable.png

The Squad

54 players are contracted to the club split between the main squad, reserves & U19s. Six of those are players who have been brought in on loan while four others are out on loan. The wage budget is also maxed out but I'll aim to bin the reserves and thin the players which will see us make a saving.

Goalkeepers

Scott Christie joined last season from Airdrie (Scottish League 1) to take over the number one jersey from Greg Paterson who dropped back into the backup role. 19yo Jim Law is the other option but I don't think he is quite ready for first team football and he may go out on loan.

Scott Christie (32yo Scottish GK)

Greg Paterson (30yo Scottish GK)

Jim Law (19yo Scottish GK)

Fullbacks

On the right 19yo Donald Macari joined on a free from Motherwell (Scottish Premiership) at the start of the season to compete with long serving Captain, Scott Durie for the starting role. There is more competition on the left though behind one of the stars of the team, Andrew Steeves. Pacy loan signing Russell Franks competes with Ryan Baptie while former youth player Jay Collier is out on loan.

Scott Durie (28yo Scottish DR/DC, MR) – Captain

Donald Macari (19yo Scottish DR)

Andrew Steeves (25yo Scottish DL/ML)

Russell Franks (18yo English DL/DR, ML) – On loan from Birmingham City (English Championship)

Ryan Baptie (24yo Scottish DL/ML)

Jay Collier (22yo Scottish DL) – On loan to Stranraer (Scottish League 2)

Central Defence

The first choice partnership is Tom Bonner & Mark Fraser although the vice captain's performances seem to have been lacking this season. Behind them three players compete for places – The overpaid Dave Winfield whose days have to be numbered, loan signing Martin Burchill and former youth player, Keith Preston who is out on loan for another month.

Tom Bonner (31yo Scottish DRC/DL)

Mark Fraser (24yo Scottish DC/DRL) – Vice Captain

Dave Winfield (31yo English DC)

Martin Burchill (19yo Scottish DC) – On loan from Dundee Utd (Scottish Premiership)

Keith Preston (20yo Scottish DC/DRL) – On loan to Clachnacuddin (Scottish League 2)

Central Midfield

Midfield is an area where East Fife are overstocked with 12 natural MCs in the squad. Even with some covering out wide where we are short it still leaves us with far too many. Experienced Martin Scott is the pick of them having joined from Walsall (English League 2) in the summer while Ryan Ferguson, Darren Sharp & on loan Frazer Easton are the other main options. Michael Thomson, David Sinclair & Adam Pepper are on the fringe of the team while five other younger players need match experience if they are to progress to the first team.

Martin Scott (33yo Scottish MC/MRL)

Darren Sharp (23yo Scottish DM/MC)

Ryan Ferguson (25yo Scottish MC/MRL, ST)

Frazer Easton (19yo Scottish MC/DM) – On loan from Rangers (Scottish Premiership)

Adam Pepper (28yo English MC/ML)

Michael Thomson (25yo Scottish MC/ML)

David Sinclair (29yo Scottish MC/DM)

Gareth Sawyer (19yo English MC/DC)

Gary Paton (20yo Scottish DM)

Lee Wright (20yo Scottish AMC)

Stefan Byers (20yo Scottish MC/DM)

Jonathan Munro (20yo Scottish MC)

Wingers

There are only two natural wide men in the squad, Jamie Reid is a regular starter on either flank but Bobby Barr on the right is nothing more than a fringe player. There is plenty of cover from central midfield though if I choose to use a wide formation.

Jamie Reid (25yo Scottish MRL)

Bobby Barr (31yo Scottish AMR/AML)

Strikers

Up front is another area where we have lots of depth with no less than nine young players competing for places. Andy Gardiner joins three loan signings (Finn Fraser, Garreth Byrne & Dean Brennan) as the main options while Matt Gibson & Paul Ormesher are on the fringe. This leaves three other youngsters who need match experience to improve and I'll be looking to loan them out.

Andy Gardiner (24yo Northern Irish ST)

Finn Fraser (19yo Scottish ST/AML) – On loan from Dundee Utd (Scottish Premiership)

Garreth Byrne (20yo Scottish ST/AMR) – On loan from Dundee Utd (Scottish Premiership)

Dean Brennan (18yo Irish ST/AMC) – On loan from Bournemouth (English League 1)

Matt Gibson (20yo Scottish ST/MC)

Paul Ormesher (20yo English ST/MR)

Marc Buchanan (20yo Scottish ST)

Jim Bain (20yo Scottish ST)

Aaron Wilkie (20yo Scottish ST/AML)

Scotland

East Fife

December 2019

There are a number of injuries to contend with as I settle into the job:

Donald Macari (DR) – About 10 days left with torn ankle ligaments.

Tom Bonner (DC) – 2/3 weeks left with a damaged heel.

Darren Sharp (DM) – 3/5 weeks left with a broken toe.

Gareth Sawyer (MC) – About two months left with a broken leg.

Garreth Byrne (ST) – 5/7 weeks left with strained knee ligaments.

Matt Gibson (ST) – About one month left with a chest injury.

Dean Brennan (ST) – About 10 days left with a broken arm.

In terms of formation I've set the team the task of learning three. A 41221 with two wide men supporting a lone ST, a 4132 narrow formation with a DM & three MCs and a 532 wingback formation to make use of our attacking fullbacks.

Saturday 14th December 2019 – Scottish Championship (17/36)

East Fife (8th) 1-3 Kilmarnock (3rd)

Goals: F. Fraser (46) ; Bennett (36, 89), Pooler (57)

MOTM: Fosu (9.0) (Kilmarnock)

Attendance: 654

Between new formations, match fitness & injuries I don't hold out much hope of a winning start but at least I get a look at some of the players. I pack the midfield as I aim to keep things tight and it works until Bennett just about squeezes in a left wing cross. Fraser missed the only good chance of the first half but he pulls us level straight after the break with a shot from distance. It doesn't last though as we are forced to chase again when Pooler heads in a left wing cross and as we push for an equaliser Bennett wraps the win up with a late break. We arguably didn't deserve to lose the game but on a positive note Mark Fraser seemed comfortable at the back while Pepper ran the midfield as playmaker.

Match Injury: Finn Fraser (ST) – Out for about 10 days with a gashed arm.

Wednesday 18th December 2019 – Scottish Championship (18/36)

Falkirk (10th) 2-0 East Fife (8th)

Goals: Sears (12), McQuilken (14)

MOTM: McQuilken (7.5) (Falkirk)

We make a good start but two chances produce two clinical finishes from Falkirk as we are left chasing the game. The rest of the match sees us create more chances and play the better football but just can't find the net as we slip to another defeat.

Saturday 21st December 2019 – Scottish Championship (19/36)

Livingston (5th) 3-1 East Fife (8th)

Goals: Claypole (10, 78), Wright (32) ; Easton (3)

MOTM: Claypole (8.8) (Livingston)

I mix things up as I switch to the wingback formation and we catch a break early when Easton finds the net. Livingston quickly equalise though from a corner and are ahead when Wright heads in a left wing cross. We match Livingston for much of the game but as tire Claypole adds a third as its now five defeats on the bounce for East Fife.

Thursday 26th December 2019 – Scottish Championship (20/36)

East Fife (8th) 0-3 Raith Rovers (2nd)

Goals: Reilly (2), Megginson (39), Willetts (69)

MOTM: Conroy (8.3) (Raith Rovers)

Attendance: 869

Milestone: Scott Christie - 50th League Appearance for East Fife

A deep cross sees Reilly head in as its another bad start for us. Megginson adds a corner and Willetts capitalises when Burchill misses a header as another even game drifts away from us. Four games at East Fife and not so much a point to show for it means I'm desperate to get the injuries cleared up before relegation becomes a real issue.

136LeagueTableDecember2019.png

Scotland

East Fife

January 2020

Club News

Changes are needed and I clean house as my assistant manager & physio bite the dust. Adverts placed for a new AM and a fitness coach to solve some training issues.

Saturday 4th January 2020 – Scottish Championship (21/36)

Dumbarton (7th) 1-0 East Fife (8th)

Goals: McDougall (72)

MOTM: Wilkie (7.5) (Dumbarton)

New month, new year and I'm hoping a change of luck now that most of the injuries have cleared up. Dumbarton have the better of the match but we defend well and both sides have chances before McDougall heads in a deep cross in the latter stages of the game. Played ok, check, lost again, check its looking like this might be one of the shortest managerial reigns in history if our luck doesn't change.

Player News

More bad news arrives as left back, Andrew Steeves rejects our contract offer deciding to move south to Forest Green (Skrill Premier) in July.

Training Injury: Paul Ormesher – Out for about a week with a strained wrist.

Wednesday 8th January 2020 – Scottish Championship (22/36)

East Fife (8th) 1-2 Hamilton Academical (5th)

Goals: Brennan (pen 38) ; Liestol (4), McClair (14)

MOTM: Perry (7.9) (Hamilton)

Attendance: 386

Milestone: Mark Fraser - 150th Career Appearance

I decide to go back to basics with a straight forward 442 but two good early passes sees two good goals from Hamilton as another game looks lost. A soft penalty sees Brennan get us back into the match and we continue to take the match to Hamilton. An end to end game could have gone either way but our failure to find the net means we again come away with nothing from an even match.

Saturday 11th January 2020 – Scottish Championship (23/36)

East Fife (9th) 2-0 Alloa Athletic (7th)

Goals: F. Fraser (7, 64)

MOTM: F. Fraser (8.8)

Attendance: 383

After eight straight defeats the team has nothing to lose so we go for it and when Thomson picks out Fraser with an early cross we have the lead. We ride our luck a little with Alloa twice having goals ruled out for offside but we have chances of our own. Another even game could have gone either way but when Fraser buries a loose ball in the second half our luck seems to have turned.

Staff News

It doesn't take long for applications to role in and I soon have an assistant in place – 40yo Chris Templeman

Player News

Frazer Easton (19yo MC/DM) returns to Rangers as his loan spell comes to an end. Although he did well for us we have an abundance of central midfielders and now that injuries have cleared up its time to give others players a chance.

Saturday 18th January 2020 – Scottish Championship (24/36)

Stirling Albion (10th) 1-0 East Fife (9th)

Goals: Tobin (81)

MOTM: Tobin (7.5) (Stirling Albion)

Milestone: Darren Sharp - 50th Career League Appearance

Stirling have the better of the game but both teams struggle to create chances early on. Bit by bit though Stirling chip away at our defence getting closer and closer until finally Tobin buries a late chance as we lose a massive six pointer.

Player News

Our defence gets a boost as Keith Preston returns from his loan spell. He is comfortably better than Martin Burchill & Dave Winfield and will be our third choice in the middle behind Bonner & Fraser.

Saturday 25th January 2020 – Scottish Championship (25/36)

Kilmarnock (3rd) 1-5 East Fife (9th)

Goals: Hay (77) ; Scott (7), F. Fraser (33, 73), Pepper (53), Preston (69)

MOTM: F. Fraser (9.3)

Milestone: Keith Preston - 1st Goal for East Fife

Milestone: Martin Scott - 1st Goal for East Fife

I've concluded that I got the tactics wrong against Stirling last week and away to Kilmarnock we should be looking to defend and counter attack. Byrne & Sharp both return from injury to join Preston in what is a virtual full strength lineup. The tactics work well with Scott drifting unmarked into the box to fire us into an lead. Kilmarnock control possession but we defend well limiting their shots while also counter attacking with pace which sees Byrne play F. Fraser in for a second. With a cushion confidence flows as we create chance after chance. Pepper & F. Fraser both add more on the break and sandwich Preston's goal from a corner before Hay scores a late consolation from Kilmarnock's only chance of the match. Easily the best performance since I took over and well needed as I look to drag East Fife out of the relegation zone.

Match Injury: Andy Gardiner (ST) – Out for about 10 days with a bruised shin.

Wednesday 29th January 2020 – Scottish Championship (26/36)

East Fife (8th) 1-1 Partick Thistle (1st)

Goals: Steeves (15) ; Gordon (19)

MOTM: Steeves (7.4)

Attendance: 580

We might be at home but against the league leaders I'm expecting it to be hard. Partick surprisingly allow us to control possession early on and we use it well with F. Fraser finding the overlapping Steeves to take the lead but it doesn't last long as Gordon levels it form the edge of the box. We are under pressure for much of the first half but we defend well and then turn it round in the second half. Both sides have chances to win it and we look the more likely as the match progresses but in the end an even game ends in a draw which is still a good result for us.

Staff News

50yo Alasdair Lane joins as a fitness coach as I aim to work on the player's physical attributes.

Player News

Reserve goalkeeper, Greg Paterson expressed a desire to leave to seek a new challenge earlier in the month. With six months left on his contract and not really close to a first team place I have no problems in letting him go:

Greg Paterson (30yo Scottish GK) – Sold to Albion Rovers (Scottish League 1) for £0

Time at East Fife: 7 seasons, Appearances: 123, Clean Sheets: 49

Player News

Striker, Finn Fraser wins the Scottish Championship Young Player of the Month award.

137LeagueTableJanuary2020.png

Scotland

East Fife

February 2020

Saturday 1st February 2020 – Scottish Championship (27/36)

East Fife (8th) 3-0 Falkirk (6th)

Goals: Scott (39), F. Fraser (68), Brennan (90)

MOTM: Scott (8.3)

Attendance: 630

The team has a more settled look about it now and seem more confident with the formation. An even first half of few chances sees Scott swing the match our way when he slots in a freekick from the edge of the box. We keep up the good play in the second half and F. Fraser turns his marker slotting in to give us a cushion. With the win in the bag Brennan comes off the bench and puts the icing on the cake with a placed shot in injury time as we move up to 6th in the league.

Match Injury: Donald Macari (DR) – Out for 4/5 weeks with a twisted knee.

Training Injury: Keith Preston (DC) – Out for two weeks with a strained wrist.

Injury: Gareth Sawyer (MC) – Out for around three weeks with a virus.

Saturday 15th February 2020 – Scottish Championship (28/36)

East Fife (6th) 0-0 Livingston (5th)

Goals:

MOTM: Donachie (7.3) (Livingston)

Attendance: 714

Milestone: Ryan Ferguson - 50th League Appearance for East Fife

Milestone: Mark Fraser - 50th Appearance for East Fife

Burchill gets a chance at the back with Preston injured otherwise I'm looking to pick up where we left off two weeks ago. Both teams seem to want to keep it tight and as a result there are few shots in the match. Knocks & injuries break up the game while the only half chance falls our way but in the end its no surprise that the match ends goalless.

Saturday 22nd February 2020 – Scottish Championship (29/36)

Hamilton Academical (4th) 2-2 East Fife (6th)

Goals: Liestol (62, 68) ; Brennan (77), Byrne (81)

MOTM: Liestol (8.8) (Hamilton)

Milestone: Tom Bonner - 450th Career League Appearance

Preston is back from injury as we look to keep our unbeaten run going but early chances on the break are missed. This costs us in the second half when Liestol slots in Hamilton's only clear chance of the match and it looks like a loss when he heads in a corner soon after. I make changes as we go looking for goals and Byrne makes it happen drilling across goal for Brennan to tap in before finding the net himself from the edge of the box. A point saved and its no less than the team deserved given the chances they created.

Training Injury: Andy Gardiner – Out for around a week with a stubbed toe.

Saturday 29th February 2020 – Scottish Championship (30/36)

Raith Rovers (2nd) 4-1 East Fife (7th)

Goals: Megginson (35), Willetts (59), Telfer (pen 65), Muirhead (86) ; Byrne (82)

MOTM: Cardle (7.9) (Raith Rovers)

The third match in a row against teams above us in the league which means another tough match. An early chance goes begging when Brennan hits the post and it costs us when we fail to clear a corner leaving Megginson to drive in. Mistakes in the second half sees Willetts, Telfer & Muirhead all get on the scoresheet while Byrne manages a consolation. Going forward we did ok, at the back we were terrible as warnings got handed out.

***Sorry, forgot to save league table***

Scotland

East Fife

March 2020

Youth Intake

16 players join the youth team but unfortunately they aren't of the same high quality I got at Cliftonville. Central midfielder, Jim Spence & winger, Cameron Gauld will hope to make the first team in a few years but by far the pick of the bunch is fullback, Alan Gormley.

140YouthIntakeMarch2020.png

141AlanGormley.png

Saturday 14th March 2020 – Scottish Championship (31/36)

East Fife (7th) 0-0 Dumbarton (9th)

Goals:

MOTM: Evans (7.5) (Dumbarton)

Attendance: 595

Six games to go and several of those are big six pointers against other relegation candidates. A win against Dumbarton would go a long way to see us safe from the drop but despite dominating the game we just can't get the ball in the net. Two points dropped? one point gained? depends on the next few results and at least we didn't lose.

Saturday 21st March 2020 – Scottish Championship (32/36)

East Fife (7th) 3-0 Stirling Albion (10th)

Goals: Stewart (og 8), Byrne (60), Brennan (90)

MOTM: Byrne (8.3)

Attendance: 554

Milestone: Mark Fraser - 150th Career League Appearance

Home against the bottom club is a must win game and luck is on our side when a shot from Brennan hits the post & keeper before rolling along the goalline, Stewart tries to clear but only succeeds in gifting us the lead. We struggle to create good chances but at least we are getting shots away which is more than Stirling are for much of the match. A deep freekick sees Byrne fire in a second while Brennan wraps up an important win in injury time slotting into the corner.

139LeagueTableMarch2020.png

Scotland

East Fife

April/May 2020

Saturday 4th April 2020 – Scottish Championship (33/36)

Alloa Athletic (9th) 0-1 East Fife (7th)

Goals: Thomson (73)

MOTM: Ferguson (8.1)

Byrne sees an early chance tipped wide but after that our passing is shocking as Alloa take control of possession. Our defence is strong though restricting them to long shots as we work our way into the match. Both sides see players dismissed for second yellows just before the break leaving it 10 v 10 for the second half. With our passing improving chances start to appear and its Thomson that finds himself free to place into the far corner. A few nerves surface in the final stages but Alloa never really threaten as the win also seals safety with three matches to go.

Saturday 11th April 2020 – Scottish Championship (34/36)

Partick Thistle (2nd) 4-1 East Fife (6th)

Goals: Wood (12), Gordon (28), McPake (35), Dunleavy (71) ; Gardiner (79)

MOTM: Wood (9.0) (Partick Thistle)

With safety assured I rotate the squad a little to have a look at some of the fringe players who haven't got a contract for next season yet. Old habits come back to haunt us though as going forward we lack a little quality when needed while the defence seem half asleep. Wood & Dunleavy head in corners while inbetween clinical finishes from Gordon & McPake put the match beyond us. Gardiner grabs a consolation to end his goal drought but overall it was disappointing, we had more shots, created more chances but failures at both ends of the pitch cost us.

Training Injury: Mark Fraser – Out for 5/6 weeks with a twisted ankle

Training Injury: Gareth Sawyer – Out for 5/6 weeks with a pulled hamstring

Saturday 25th April 2020 – Scottish Championship (35/36)

East Fife (6th) 3-1 Kilmarnock (3rd)

Goals: Gardiner (5, 70), Baptie (63) ; Reidford (76)

MOTM: Gardiner (8.8)

Attendance: 787

Milestone: Michael Thomson - 100th Career League Appearance

Neither team has anything to play for but I'm still looking for a better performance than the last match. Baptie stakes a claim for a new contract crossing for Gardiner to head in an early goal but we are on the back foot for much of the first half as Kilmarnock dominate possession. Solid defence pays off as we build in the second half with Baptie overlapping to slot in a second before Gardiner is released to seal the win. A mishit cross from Reidford gives Kilmarnock a consolation but thats all it is as they fail to create a clear chance all game.

Match Injury: Ryan Baptie – Out for 3/4 weeks with a gashed leg.

Saturday 2nd May 2020 – Scottish Championship (36/36)

Falkirk (6th) 2-3 East Fife (5th)

Goals: White (22, 61) ; Ormesher (5, 42), Sharp (pen 60)

MOTM: White (8.8) (Falkirk)

Milestone: Tom Bonner - 100th League Appearance for East Fife

Milestone: Scott Durie - 300th Career League Appearance (All for East Fife)

Milestone: Paul Ormesher - 1st Career Goals

Last match of the season and we get off to a flying start when a Falkirk corner is cleared up to Ferguson who plays it through for Ormesher to drill in. White equalises heading in a deep freekick but Ormesher on the angle gives us the lead again at the break. Gardiner wins a penalty which Sharp confidently despatches to give us a cushion but Falkirk respond immediately as White drills in. Its an open end to end finish which Falkirk edge and they'll be disappointed not to take something from the match.

Match Injury: Ryan Ferguson – Out for 4/5 weeks with a groin strain.

Scotland

East Fife

2019/20 Season Review

Scottish Championship

Raith Rovers & Partick Thistle were already slugging it out at the top of the league when I took over and the battle raged for the rest of the season with Raith Rovers claiming the title. Kilmarnock & Livingston pulled away from the rest to join Partick Thistle & Dunfermline Athletic (Scottish Premiership) in the promotion playoffs where Partick Thistle earned a place in the Scottish Premiership next season.

Aside from Hamilton Academical who seemed settled in mid-table the rest of the clubs all flirted with relegation the second half of the season. Stirling Albion found themselves stuck at the bottom but after picking up a couple of wins beat an Alloa Athletic side (who only won one of their last 15 matches) on the last day to pull themselves up into the relegation playoff place. They beat Arbroath in the semi finals but lost to Queen of the South in the final to join Alloa Athletic in the Scottish League 1 next season.

The board expected us to stay clear of relegation and were delighted with our end of season form which saw us snatch 5th place.

142FinalLeagueTable2020.png

Scottish Cup

It was a good season for the Championship clubs as both Kilmarnock & Dumbarton despatched two Premiership sides each enroute to meeting in the semi final where Kilmarnock edged the game to reach their 9th Cup final but their first in 23 years (1997). In the other semi final Hibernian confidently beat Rangers and then went on to beat Kilmarnock in extra time to lift the Scottish Cup for the 4th time.

East Fife went out to Dundee (Scottish League 1) in the 4th round before I took over which matched the board's expectation.

143ScottishCup2020.png

Scottish League Cup

Unlike the Scottish Cup the Premiership sides didn't struggle in the League Cup with six of the eight quarter finalists and an all Premiership semi final lineup. Hibernian made their second Cup final of the season by beating Motherwell while Celtic got the better Inverness CT in the other before going on to edge Hibernian in the final to lift the League Cup for 17th time.

East Fife had a good run beating Hearts enroute to the quarter finals before losing to Inverness CT before I took over.

144ScottishLeagueCup2020.png

Scottish League Challenge Cup

The Challenge Cup was full of surprises and shocks this season as the Championship clubs didn't have it all their own way. Partick Thistle made the semi finals but were just another casualty of Dundee (Scottish League 1) who marched on to their 6th final. In the other semi non-league Formartine Utd had their hearts broken as their run came to an end losing on penalties to Dumbarton who went on to lift the trophy in their 1st final.

East Fife made the quarter finals losing heavily to Partick Thistle before I took over.

145ScottishLeagueChallengeCup201920.png

Awards

Scottish Championship Player of the Year: Cody Willetts (20yo English ST) (Raith Rovers)

Scottish Championship Manager of the Year: Pat Fenlon (Raith Rovers)

Scottish Championship Team of the Year:

GK – Nathan Ashton (20yo English GK) (Raith Rovers)

DR – Paul Connolly (36yo English DR) (Kilmarnock)

DL – Ryan Conroy (33yo Scottish ML/DL) (Raith Rovers)

DC – Gary MacKenzie (34yo Scottish DC) (Kilmarnock)

DC – Paul Watson (29yo Scottish DC) (Raith Rovers)

MR – Freddie Sears (30yo English ST/MRL) (Falkirk)

ML – Tariqe Fosu (24yo English ML/MR) (Kilmarnock)

MC – Danny Redmond (29yo English ML/MC) (Partick Thistle)

MC – Charlie Telfer (24yo Scottish MC/ML) (Raith Rovers)

ST – Cody Willetts (20yo English ST) (Raith Rovers)

ST – Mitch Megginson (27yo Scottish ST) (Raith Rovers)

East Fife Fans' Player of the Year: Scott Christie

Squad Review

Goalkeepers

Scott Christie was the number one when I joined and he was an ever present for me proving to be a fairly solid last line of defence.

Scott Christie (32yo Scottish GK) – 38 apps, 50 conceded, 11 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.80

Fullbacks

On the right Durie & Macari shared the workload and both did ok after I joined. Macari is the better player & still improving but needs to work on his consistency while Durie I think has reached his level and I need to decide if he is worth keeping around. The left was much more straight forward with Steeves the standout player. He took time to settle down after I joined but once we switched to five at the back his attacking side showed and I'll be disappointed to see him go. Backing him up were loanee Russell Franks and Ryan Baptie neither of which got much gametime for me.

Donald Macari (19yo Scottish DR) – 23 (4) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.69

Scott Durie (28yo Scottish DR/DC, MR) – 25 (11) apps, 0 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.70

Andrew Steeves (25yo Scottish DL/ML) – 36 (3) apps, 3 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 6.88

Russell Franks (18yo English DL/DR, ML) – 24 (4) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.54

Ryan Baptie (25yo Scottish DL/ML) – 4 (1) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.80

Central Defenders

Fraser & Bonner were the clear choices at the back with Bonner the more consistent of the pair. Preston completed the trio when he returned from loan and didn't look out of place aside from a couple of poor games. This left loanee, Burchill & Winfield providing backup. Winfield simply isn't good enough for this level while Burchill did ok but needs to improve.

Tom Bonner (32yo Scottish DRC/DL) – 37 (1) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.83

Mark Fraser (24yo Scottish DC/DRL) – 40 (1) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.64

Keith Preston (21yo Scottish DC/DRL) – 13 apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.80

Martin Burchill (19yo Scottish DC) – 9 (2) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.31

Dave Winfield (32yo English DC) – 3 (1) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.30

Central Midfielders

Took a while to settle into a formation but eventually 532 was the choice and after Easton's loan spell ended in January it left seven midfielders competing for starting places. After recovering from injury Sharp made the ball winning role his own with a series of steady performances but his main backup, Sawyer was plagued by injuries & fitness issues which meant Sinclair often filled in which wasn't ideal. Pepper & Ferguson competed for the playmaker role but neither really impressed and I may cut my losses with both of them. Experienced Martin Scott was the pick of the midfielders in the BTB role while Thomson backed him up well but lacks a little skill for this level.

Martin Scott (34yo Scottish MC/MRL) – 32 apps, 2 goals, 6 assists, Ave Rating: 6.98

Ryan Ferguson (26yo Scottish MC/MRL, ST) – 24 (9) apps, 0 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.56

Darren Sharp (23yo Scottish DM/MC) – 12 (8) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.72

Michael Thomson (26yo Scottish MC/ML) – 12 (7) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.81

David Sinclair (29yo Scottish MC/DM) – 7 (11) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.60

Adam Pepper (28yo English MC/ML) – 7 (9) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.86

Gareth Sawyer (20yo English MC/DC) – 1 (2) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.63

Wingers

Just the two natural wingers in the squad and neither had much of a chance once we settled on the 532 formation. Barr isn't good enough for this level and will be released but I might persevere with Reid retraining him to MC where I feel he could make a go of the BTB role.

Jamie Reid (26yo Scottish MRL) – 17 (4) apps, 1 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.66

Bobby Barr (31yo Scottish AMR/AML) – 5 (4) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.75

Strikers

Five strikers competed for starting roles inbetween injuries & fitness issues. Loanee Garreth Byrne was the pick of the strikers and the only one to really offer an aerial threat up front. Gardiner joined loanees Fraser & Brennan as other options but despite showing flashes of ability I struggled to get the best out of them consistently. This left Ormesher as the odd man out but a brace in the final match was a timely reminder that he may be worth a new contract with the loanees leaving at the end of the season.

Finn Fraser (20yo Scottish ST/AML) – 28 (6) apps, 12 goals, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 6.75

Garreth Byrne (21yo Scottish ST/AMR) – 26 (3) apps, 9 goals, 10 assists, Ave Rating: 6.94

Andy Gardiner (24yo Northern Irish ST) – 19 (10) apps, 7 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 6.77

Dean Brennan (18yo Irish ST) – 15 (14) apps, 9 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.64

Paul Ormesher (20yo English ST/MR) – 3 (5) apps, 2 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.74

Scotland

East Fife

Off-Season Report

FINANCES

There is no getting away from the fact the finances are in poor shape. The club's income was up by 33% this season mostly through ticket sales & prize money but the expenses also crept up by around 10% leaving us making a loss of approx £145k. This was an improvement on the £270k they lost last season but a loss is still a loss leaving the bank sitting at a £490k overdraft which needs to be dealt with sooner rather than later.

The board set the initial budgets: Transfer budget £0 & Wage budget £31k per month. This gives me huge problems as without a transfer budget I won't be able to pay some fees associated with bringing in players while I've already cut the wages from £49k a month to £29k but I still need several more players to get the squad to a level where they can compete. Finally with the season getting underway I get the news I don't need when the board announce we'll be dropping back to semi-pro status although looking at the league thats not a disaster as five of the other nine clubs in the league are also semi-pro.

Our good finish in the league saw our reputation rise and we are now on a par with all the other teams in the league except Aberdeen who were relegated last season. In terms of turnover & value we are way off the pace and clearly punching above our weight but thats hardly a surprise. Average attendance was slightly down compared to the previous season where East Fife won promotion at 615 but we do see a slight increase in season ticket sales from 288 to 305.

STAFF NEWS

With contracts at an end I said goodbye to the head of youth, reserves manager & one of the scouts as I look to trim the expenses.

I also take a slight paycut myself for an extra year which sees me contracted to East Fife until May 2022.

PLAYER NEWS – OUTGOING

To save on wages I'm going to scrap the reserve team and with this in mind 13 youth & former youth players were released at the end of their contracts.

Andrew Steeves completed his bosman move to English Skrill Premier champions, Forest Green while the five loanees all returned to their clubs: Martin Burchill (DC), Russell Franks (DL/DR, ML), Garreth Byrne (ST), Finn Fraser (ST) & Dean Brennan (ST).

Andrew Steeves (25yo Scottish DL/ML) – Signed on a bosman by Forest Green (English Skrill Premier)

Time at East Fife: 4 seasons, Appearances: 143, Goals: 11, Assists: 19

Very much an attacking fullback who looked the part after I gave him the freedom to provide the width. Disappointed that he chose to leave and its another hole in the squad which I'll need to fill.

I also released a further six players from the main squad as I look to take the club forwards:

Dave Winfield (32yo English DC) – Released at end of contract

Time at East Fife: 2 seasons, Appearances: 8, Goals: 0, Assists: 0

The highest paid player at the club simply wasn't good enough for this level.

Ryan Baptie (25yo Scottish DL/ML) – Released at end of contract

Time at East Fife: 4 seasons, Appearances: 60, Goals: 6, Assists: 10

The coaches felt Ryan had potential but he was just not quite good enough for this level and at 25yo had ran out of time to improve significantly.

Bobby Barr (31yo Scottish AMR/AML) – Released at end of contract

Time at East Fife: 1 season, Appearances: 9, Goals: 0, Assists: 0

Picked up at the beginning of the season by the previous manager to add squad depth but just not good enough for this level.

David Sinclair (29yo Scottish MC/DM) – Released at end of contract

Time at East Fife: 1 season, Appearances: 18, Goals: 0, Assists: 0

Another who was picked up at the start of the season and seemed to have the skills to play a squad role but struggled on the pitch not doing enough to earn a new deal.

Adam Pepper (28yo English MC/ML) – Released at end of contract

Time at East Fife: 2 seasons, Appearances: 39, Goals: 2, Assists: 12

Lacked a little quality for this level but always did ok on the pitch and I would have been happy to keep him around in a squad role. Unfortunately he wanted a key role and too much money which I wasn't prepared to offer him.

Ryan Ferguson (26yo Scottish MC/MRL, ST) – Released at end of contract

Time at East Fife: 2 seasons, Appearances: 63, Goals: 2, Assists: 5

The coaches thought he had the ability and he got plenty of chances unfortunately on the pitch he failed to impress.

The only player attracting any interest is 16yo fullback Alan Gormley and several bids are tabled. The only one worth considering is from rivals, Raith Rovers who offer £49k over two years. Its a decent sum of money and would help the bank account but I'm looking for much closer to £100k which seems to scare the bidders away.

PLAYER NEWS – INCOMING

The board slashing the wage budget has caused me something of a headache and I'm starting to think I should have maybe stuck with a few of the younger players coming through as backups. The scouts have identified plenty of targets I simply can't afford them as it stands and will have to use whats left of the budget wisely as well as relying on the loan market.

I did manage to sign one player though after backup GK, Greg Paterson left in January:

Craig McDowall (29yo Scottish GK) – Signed on a bosman from Forfar Athletic (Scottish League 1)

I wanted competition for the starting place in goal but that was before the wage budget got slashed and now its looking like the money could have been better spent elsewhere. Anyway Craig started his career at Livingston and bounced around several Scottish clubs (Alloa Athletic, Inverness CT, Ross County & St Johnstone) before arriving at Forfar Athletic four years ago. He quickly established himself as the first choice and made 140 appearances for them in League 1. The scouts feel he has the skills to step up and I'm expecting him to challenge Christie strongly.

146CraigMcDowall.png

I decide, with the wage budget so tight, to promote promising 16yo DL Alan Gormley to add some depth but that still leaves me needing a DC, MC & two STs at the minimum.

With no transfer budget I can't sign players with an agent which limits me but I do find a DC to add depth:

Richie Miller (22yo Irish DC/MC) – Unattached

Started his career with Athlone Town (Irish First Division) but was quickly picked up by Kilmarnock where he has been for the last five seasons (Inc loan spells at Berwick Rangers & Brechin City) before being released. He is a little weak mentally and hasn't played that well in his career so far but I'm hoping with some tutoring I can get the best out of him.

147RichieMiller.png

I also make use of our parent club with two players coming on loan for the season:

Garreth Byrne (21yo Scottish ST/AMR) – On loan from Dundee Utd (Scottish Premiership)

Garreth was with us last season where he was the pick of the strikers so I'm pleased to have him back for another year.

Alan McGinn (20yo Scottish MC/DM) – On loan from Dundee Utd (Scottish Premiership)

Alan is a local lad having started his career at East Fife before being signed by Dundee Utd for £50k four years ago. He has made a handful of appearances for the first team but has mainly been playing for the reserves. I'm expecting him to play a big part this season but I'm not quite sure how he'll fit into the team quite yet.

148AlanMcGinn.png

Finding further signings leads to a lot of frustration with clubs & players turning down our loan offers but I finally manage to sign up another striker from our local rivals:

James MacPherson (19yo Scottish ST/MC) – On loan from Raith Rovers (Scottish Premiership)

The fans aren't happy because James came from our local rivals but he was about the best of the options available and gives a good balance to our forward line. A typical target man who adds some much needed height to the squad. What he lacks in pace and technical ability he makes up for in work rate, teamwork & determination. He'll compete alongside Byrne, Gardiner & Ormesher for a starting role.

149JamesMacPherson.png

With pre-season coming to an end and my options becoming more limited I settle for bringing a young DC in on loan to give us more cover:

Blair Wallace (21yo Scottish DC) – On loan from Ross County (Scottish Premiership)

A product of the Ross County youth academy he has made a handful of appearances for the first team before spending last season on loan at Stirling Albion. He didn't play that well and he lacks physically but he is only here to add depth.

150BlairWallace.png

Scotland

East Fife

Pre-Season Friendlies 2020

Hurlford Utd (Scottish Non-League) 0-1 East Fife (Scottish Championship)

Goals: Byrne (19)

MOTM: Macari (8.4)

It should be an easy run out in the first friendly of the season and that proves to be the case. Hurlford Utd play very defensive and offer nothing coming forward while we create a decent amount of chances. Byrne scores the only goal of the game though when Macari picks out his run. It was my first chance to see Collier on the left and he didn't look out of place while Macari was outstanding on the right.

Dundee (Scottish League 1) 1-2 East Fife (Scottish Championship)

Goals: Reid (15) ; Byrne (28), Thomson (88)

MOTM: Byrne (7.3)

Dundee might be in the division below us but they are still a big club who shouldn't be there for long. We probably show them too much respect in the early stages as we let them dictate play which results in Reid finishing off a right wing cross. Once we settle our passing improves and we take control of the game with McGinn playing Gardiner through who squares for Byrne to equalise. We are the better side in the second half and our pressure finally tells when Ormesher pulls his marker away before feeding Thomson to slot in.

East Fife (Scottish Championship) 0-3 Dundee Utd (Scottish Premiership)

Goals: Hughes (7), Henry (47), Gardiner (60)

MOTM: Hughes (8.2) (Dundee Utd)

A home friendly against our parent club sees a terrible performance as we don't manage even one shot in the whole match. Shots from Hughes & Henry find the net when McDowall should have done a lot better with them while Gardiner added a third from a corner as Dundee Utd hardly got out of 3rd gear.

Airdrieonians (Scottish League 1) 0-0 East Fife (Scottish Championship)

Goals:

MOTM: Fraser (7.2)

I mix the squad up as I look to build fitness and they look a little off the pace at the start. We are solid in defence though and we improve as the match goes on creating a few chances in the second half. Byrne comes the closest seeing his shot turned round the post but our shooting is too wayward in general as the match end goalless.

East Fife (Scottish Championship) 2-0 Rotherham Utd (English League 1)

Goals: Gardiner (26, 46)

MOTM: Gardiner (8.8)

The last friendly of pre-season is a case of fitness first as I look to get the squad match fit. An even first half swings our way when Gardiner receives a throw in, turns his marker and smashes in but Rotherham Utd soon have a chance to level it when a bad tackle from Bonner sees him give away a penalty. Christie is the hero standing tall and Rotherham heads seem to drop as we take control of the match. Early in the second half Gardiner taps in a second when a Byrne shot is saved and we cruise through the second half to end pre-season on a high.

Scotland

East Fife

Preview 2020/21 Season

SUMMARY OF MAIN SQUAD

Wholesale changes which were somewhat forced by the clubs financial situation but I've managed to keep the core of the first team from last season and made good use of the loan market to give us depth. 21 players are in the first team and if we can keep them fit I think we stand a good chance of avoiding relegation which is the main aim for the season.

No change as Scott Durie & Mark Fraser continue as captain & vice-captain.

Goalkeepers

Craig McDowall joined on a bosman to give Christie competition in goal. Initial impressions were he was probably the slightly better keeper but after the performances in pre-season Christie will start as my number one.

Craig McDowall (29yo Scottish GK)

Scott Christie (32yo Scottish GK)

Fullbacks

No change on the right with Macari & Durie competing for the starting role. Macari was outstanding in the first friendly but a knock ruled him out of the rest while Durie took the chance to impress. On the left Collier will start after a spell on loan with Stranraer last season with 16yo Gormley providing cover.

Donald Macari (20yo Scottish DR)

Scott Durie (28yo Scottish DR/DC, MR) - Captain

Jay Collier (22yo Scottish DL)

Alan Gormley (16yo Scottish DL)

Central Defence

More or less the same as last season with some extra depth. Bonner & Fraser will play a big role while Preston, Miller & Wallace all provide other options.

Tom Bonner (32yo Scottish DRC/DL)

Mark Fraser (24yo Scottish DC/DRL) – Vice Captain

Keith Preston (21yo Scottish DC/DRL)

Richie Miller (22yo Irish DC/MC)

Blair Wallace (21yo Scottish DC) – On Loan

Central Midfield

Five of the midfielders were here last season and I've added a loan signing to the group. Sharp is the first choice ball winner with Sawyer backing him up but the other four all compete for the playmaker & BTB roles including wide player Jamie Reid who is retraining to play more centrally.

Darren Sharp (24yo Scottish DM/MC)

Gareth Sawyer (20yo English MC/DC)

Martin Scott (34yo Scottish MC/MRL)

Michael Thomson (26yo Scottish MC/ML)

Jamie Reid (26yo Scottish MRL)

Alan McGinn (20yo Scottish MC/DM) – On Loan

Forwards

Byrne is back on loan for a second season and is probably the pick of the strikers. Gardiner will start as his main partner while Ormesher (poacher) & on loan, MacPherson (target man) offering other options.

Andy Gardiner (24yo Northern Irish ST)

Paul Ormesher (20yo English ST)

Garreth Byrne (21yo Scottish ST/AMR) – On Loan

James MacPherson (19yo Scottish ST/MC) – On Loan

The board announced their expectations for the season and I think they are reasonable:

Scottish Championship: Stay Clear of Relegation

Scottish Cup: 4th Round

Scottish League Cup: 2nd Round

Scottish League Challenge Cup: Not Important

Scottish Championship Preview

No surprise that relegated Aberdeen are odds on favourites with the other relegated club, Dunfermline Athletic close behind. Kilmarnock, Dumbarton, Falkirk, Livingston & promoted Greenock Morton are all seen as having playoff chances with Hamilton Academical expected to end up mid-table. Promoted Queen of the South are odds on to go back down leaving ourselves stuck in an expected 9th place relegation playoff. Personally I think its probably going to be another close season in the middle of the pack with very little between the promotion playoffs & the relegation playoffs.

Media Prediction

1st  Aberdeen (1/5)   ***Relegated***
--------------------------------------------------
2nd  Dunfermline Athletic (1/3)   ***Relegated***
3rd  Kilmarnock (Evens)
4th  Dumbarton (7/4)
5th  Falkirk (7/4)
6th  Livingston (2/1)
7th  Greenock Morton (3/1)   ***Promoted***
8th  Hamilton Academical (6/1)
9th  [color="#FF0000"]East Fife[/color] (12/1)
10th Queen of the South (80/1)   ***Promoted***

Scotland

East Fife

July/August 2020

Club News

Cup games start the season and the draws have been made:

Scottish League Challenge Cup 1st Round – Away to Wick Academy (League 2)

Scottish League Cup 1st Round – Away to Stranraer (League 2)

Saturday 25th July 2020 – Scottish League Challenge Cup (1st Round)

Wick Academy (League 2) 0-3 East Fife (Championship)

Goals: Byrne (42, 53), Collier (61)

MOTM: Scott (8.8)

Milestone: Richie Miller – Debut for East Fife

I'm still working on match fitness which sees a mixed team lineup against lower league opposition. We take the game to Wick from the start but it looks like being one of those days as we hit the woodwork, twice, see their keeper make a double save and have a goal ruled out for offside before Scott's vision sees him pick out the run of Byrne who slots into the far corner just before the break. The same two combine in the second half when Byrne plays a 1-2 with Scott before drilling in while Collier smashes in a corner when Wick fail to clear to seal a morale boosting win to the start of the season.

Club News

We get a great draw in the second round for the Scottish League Challenge Cup as we are at home to non-league Dalbeattie Star.

Training Injury: Andy Gardiner – Out for two weeks with a damaged heel.

Saturday 1st August 2020 – Scottish League Cup (1st Round)

Stranraer (League 2) 1-2 East Fife (Championship)

Goals: Gilchrist (14) ; Scott (48, 59)

MOTM: Scott (8.9)

Milestone: James MacPherson – Debut for East Fife

I rotate the squad for the League Cup to keep fitness up and we again make a decent start but against the run of play a drilled cross is steered in by Gilchrist. We are a little unlucky not to be level before the break but straight after Scott finds the top corner with a freekick to settle the nerves. He scores a second freekick midway through the half as he single-handedly carries us into the next round.

Club News

Considering we were a seeded team its not a great draw for us in the 2nd Round of the Scottish League Cup as we are drawn away to fellow Championship side, Greenock Morton.

Training Injury: Alan McGinn – Out for about 10 days with a bruised head.

Saturday 8th August 2020 – Scottish Championship (1/36)

Aberdeen 3-2 East Fife

Goals: Lynch (29, 34, pen 78) ; Scott (39), Byrne (60)

MOTM: Lynch (9.4)

Milestone: Alan Gormley – Career Debut

The start to the league season couldn't have been tougher as we travel to relegated Aberdeen. 16yo Gormley makes his debut at DL with Collier suspended and we make a decent start frustrating Aberdeen while looking dangerous on the counter. Against the run of play Preston misses a header at the back which sees Lynch free at the far post to head in a left wing cross and it gets worse when Bonner does the same as Lynch makes it two from two. MacPherson & Thomson combine on the break though to free Scott who pulls one back while Byrne pulls us level in the second half. An even match looks to be heading for a draw until a ball into the channel sees Bonner give away a controversial penalty as we slip to defeat.

Tuesday 11th August 2020 – Scottish League Challenge Cup (2nd Round)

East Fife (Championship) 4-0 Dalbeattie Star (Non-League)

Goals: Durie (13), Collier (17), Byrne (66), Reid (71)

MOTM: Reid (9.5)

Attendance: 482

Milestone: Blair Wallace – Debut for East Fife

Milestone: Craig McDowall – Debut for East Fife

Home to non-league opposition in a competition that the board aren't interested in means several key players are rested with fringe players given a chance. They don't let us down as we dominate the match and cruise to an easy victory. Durie opens the scoring overlapping down the right and drilling into the far corner and Collier makes it two when a deep freekick is returned into the box. Byrne adds a third with a placed shot before Reid caps a classy performance by adding a goal the the three assists he already has.

Club News

The quarter final draw for the Scottish League Challenge Cup is another good one for us as its a repeat of the League Cup 1st Round – Away to Stranraer (League 2).

Saturday 15th August 2020 – Scottish Championship (2/36)

East Fife (6th) 2-3 Dumbarton (4th)

Goals: Collier (44), Evans (og 69) ; Harris (79), Ferguson (82), Lindsay (89)

MOTM: Ferguson (8.1) (Dumbarton)

Attendance: 503

We start poorly, our passing is terrible and we look shaky at the back as Dumbarton fire several freekicks into the box. Once we settle though we take control of possession but are forced to settle for a number of set pieces ourselves as Dumbarton defend in numbers. Miller hits the post from one corner before they only half clear another which falls to Collier to drill in. We are gifted a second when a deep freekick sees confusion between Evans and his GK as I think the game is settled. Dumbarton have other ideas though ending the match as they started and our defence collapses spectacularly. Space on the left sees Harris picked out to pull one back while Christie should have done better with Ferguson's effort from the edge of the box. With their tails up Lindsay smashes in a rebound as we snatch defeat from what was a comfortable lead.

Saturday 22nd August 2020 – Scottish Championship (3/36)

East Fife (7th) 3-0 Queen of the South (10th)

Goals: Collier (16), Miller (33), Byrne (50)

MOTM: Collier (8.9)

Attendance: 490

Milestone: Mark Fraser - 50th League Appearance for East Fife

Milestone: Richie Miller - 1st Goal for East Fife

Milestone: Alan McGinn – Debut for East Fife

Milestone: Keith Preston - 50th Career Appearance for East Fife

After the disappointment of the last match I'm looking to get points on the board at home to the promoted team. It turns out the media were right and Queen of the South look out of their depth in this league as we dominate the match from start to finish. Collier again shows he has an eye for goal when McGinn drifts wide and cuts the ball inside for him to finish while Miller makes it two from a corner. Byrne adds a third in the second half as we cruise to the win.

Tuesday 25th August 2020 – Scottish League Cup (2nd Round)

Greenock Morton (Championship) 2-2aet Pens 3-5 East Fife (Championship)

Goals: Martin (22), Murdoch (67) ; Ormesher (75), Wallace (90)

MOTM: Wilson (8.3) (Morton)

Milestone: Richie Miller - 100th Career Appearance

Milestone: Darren Sharp - 50th Appearance for East Fife

We look asleep and off the pace for most of the match as we gift Morton the lead when Preston loses the ball at the back while bad passing sees Murdoch score from a clinical break. I make changes as I look to shake things up and Ormesher gets us back in the game with a cool finish. When Byrne hits the post late on I think our chance is gone but a corner in injury time sees Wallace head in. Byrne blasts wide the only real chance of extra time as the match goes to penalties with McDowall the hero saving Morton's second effort.

Match Injury: Keith Preston – Out for 3/4 months with a torn hamstring.

Club News

We are unseeded for the Scottish League Cup 3rd Round draw so were always going to get a Premiership club – Home to Heart of Midlothian.

Saturday 29th August 2020 – Scottish Championship (4/36)

Hamilton Academical (4th) 1-2 East Fife (7th)

Goals: Love (45) ; Bonner (74), Byrne (76)

MOTM: Bonner (7.4)

The first half sees both sides mostly limited to long shots with MacPherson blasting the best chance straight at their keeper until a quickly taken freekick sees Love nod in just before the break. We push on in the second half and put Hamilton under pressure which finally tells when a corner finds its way through the crowd for Bonner to tuck in at the far post. Soon after we have the lead when Byrne plays a 1-2 with Gardiner before drilling in and we finish strongly to take the points.

151LeagueTableAugust2020.png

A decent start to the league there, although perhaps you should be 3 points better off. All in all you must be fairly satisfied!

Yes decent start, could be worse, could be better. Just need to stay in the pack and keep picking up points.

Scotland

East Fife

September 2020

Wednesday 2nd September 2020 – Scottish Championship (5/36)

East Fife (5th) 1-0 Greenock Morton (2nd)

Goals: Gardiner (73)

MOTM: Durie (7.4)

Attendance: 542

We play much better than we did in the League Cup last week as an even game sees both sides limited to a few half chances from the edge of the box. Late in the game with subs made McGinn slides a ball down the side of Gardiner and he stretches enough to stab it past the keeper to steal the points.

Saturday 5th September 2020 – Scottish League Challenge Cup (Quarter Final)

Stranraer (League 2) 2-2aet pens 5-3 East Fife (Championship)

Goals: Murray (45), Bonner (og 90) ; Bonner (32), Ormesher (60)

MOTM: McGinn (7.6)

We are the better team and have the lead when Bonner loses his man during a wide freekick. Stranraer have created little during the first half but go in level when Macari heads away a deep cross only to see Murray's header from just inside the box creep inside the post that McDowall should have easily saved. Ormesher restores the lead in the second half when he calmly chips the onrushing keeper but as we look to be enroute to the semi finals Bonner somehow puts a corner through his own net to send us to extra time. We again look the more likely to score but can't find the net before crashing out on the lottery of penalties.

Saturday 12th September 2020 – Scottish Championship (6/36)

Kilmarnock (7th) 1-2 East Fife (5th)

Goals: Laird (90) ; Byrne (1), Gardiner (60)

MOTM: Gardiner (7.8)

A tough match sees us make a flying start when Gardiner finds the run of Byrne with our first attack and he finds the net after just 20 seconds. Once the game settles Kilmarnock take control of possession but for all the dangerous balls into the box the defence cope well as we defend our lead. With the match finely balanced a reverse pass from Byrne picks out the run of Gardiner and he slots in. Two clinical shots seem to have settled the game but Kilmarnock nick a consolation in injury time when a deep freekick eludes everyone to bounce in.

Match Injury: Darren Sharp – Out for about 3 weeks with a damaged elbow.

Reserve Match Injury: Gareth Sawyer – Out for 2/3 months with a broken toe.

Reserve Match Injury: Michael Thomson – Out for 3/4 weeks with a thigh strain.

Saturday 19th September 2020 – Scottish Championship (7/36)

East Fife (3rd) 1-3 Dunfermline Athletic (1st)

Goals: MacPherson (90) ; Williams (14, 38), Morgan (67)

MOTM: Williams (8.8) (Dunfermline Athletic)

Attendance: 1,421

Milestone: James MacPherson - 1st Goal for East Fife

Injuries are starting to stack up, especially in midfield where a couple of youth players make the bench. We make a decent start but a bad pass in midfield sees Dunfermline break with Williams slotting in against the run of play. This gives them a lift while we seem to collapse as Williams adds a second. When Morgan heads in a corner in the second half its game over although MacPherson does nick a consolation in injury time but its still a disappointing performance.

Wednesday 23rd September 2020 – Scottish League Cup (3rd Round)

East Fife (Championship) 2-0 Heart of Midlothian (Premiership)

Goals: Gormley (73), Byrne (79)

MOTM: Gormley (8.8)

Attendance: 1,591

We have nothing to lose against a Premiership side who are struggling a little in the league but a rotated squad set out to play sensibly on the break. Hearts start well and put us under pressure but we work our way into the match creating some decent chances ourselves. We look to have missed our chance when Hearts ramp up the pressure in the second half but on the break Ormesher & MacPherson combine to play Gormley in who becomes East Fife's youngest ever goalscorer. With Hearts rocking he then crosses for substitute Byrne to head in to give us a much needed cushion. Hearts settle down as we are forced to withstand heavy pressure in the final stages but we hold on for a massive win.

Club News

We are the only non-Premiership club in the League Cup Quarter Finals as we are drawn away to St Johnstone.

Transfer News

Having picked up a few injuries recently I decide another player wouldn't go amiss and with the season well underway I find some players & agents have dropped their demands to acceptable levels:

Kai Wilson (23yo Scottish DM, MC) – Unattached

A product of the Hearts (Scottish Premiership) academy where made a handful of appearances before moving onto Dunfermline Athletic (Scottish Premiership). He made 44 appearances for them (mainly from the bench) over the last four years before being released. A good solid all round midfielder who should fit in well with the rest of the squad.

152KaiWilson.png

Saturday 26th September 2020 – Scottish Championship (8/36)

East Fife (3rd) 1-1 Falkirk (10th)

Goals: Fraser (37) ; Ellis (18)

MOTM: Fraser (7.2)

Attendance: 631

Milestone: Richie Miller - 100th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Kai Wilson – Debut for East Fife

Falkirk are struggling at the bottom of the league with a very small squad and I presume money troubles but when their first eleven are fit they are as good as anyone in the league. Unfortunately we catch them on a good day as they bring the game to us as and we are forced to defend in the early stages. Just as we seem to have seen off the early threat Ellis heads in a left wing cross to give Falkirk the lead. We work our way into the match and equalise through a set piece when Miller's header from a corner is only palmed away by the keeper with Fraser on hand to tap in. The second half sees two hard working sides battling to try to get a winner but with no more goals an entertaining match ends in a draw which is probably a fair result.

Club News

The 3rd Round of the Scottish Cup is drawn and we are away to Scottish League 1 side, Arbroath.

153LeagueTableSeptember2020.png

Scotland

East Fife

October 2020

Saturday 3rd October 2020 – Scottish Championship (9/36)

Livingston (8th) 1-0 East Fife (4th)

Goals: Shankland (43)

MOTM: Metcalfe (7.1) (Livingston)

Milestone: Jamie Reid - 100th Career League Appearance

We seem to have developed a habit of starting slowly and this match is no different as Livingston press us back. We switch to a more counter attacking approach which gets us into the game but neither side threaten until a flick on sees defender & keeper both go for the same ball leaving Shankland with a tap in. Christie is forced to make a good save early in the second half as we switch to a more attacking approach but we still struggle as the team don't seem very motivated. Subs make a little difference and we finally create a chance which Scott sees pushed wide as a poor match fizzles out with Livingston scraping the points.

Saturday 17th October 2020 – Scottish Championship (10/36)

East Fife (4th) 3-3 Aberdeen (5th)

Goals: Gardiner (27, 49, 57) ; Reynolds (16), Cawley (25), Fenton (59)

MOTM: Gardiner (9.5)

Attendance: 804

I'm looking for us to bounce back from the Livingston match but Aberdeen are a good team and put us on the back foot early. We cope well limiting their chances but when a corner is only half cleared Reynolds heads in from just inside the box although I think Christie should have done better. It gets worse when Cawley heads in a right wing cross but Gardiner gets us back in with a shout when he turns his marker before finding the inside of the far post. He has two after the break when he heads in a right wing cross and with confidence high he confidently slots in his hattrick when Reid picks out his run. Before we have a chance to settle into our lead Fenton heads in a corner and they press hard towards the end of the match. Overall Aberdeen have lots of half chances while we were clinical with the few clear chances we created so on balance a draw was probably a fair result.

Saturday 24th October 2020 – Scottish Championship (11/36)

Dumbarton (4th) 1-0 East Fife (5th)

Goals: Burns (34)

MOTM: Burns (7.3) (Dumbarton)

Its now five matches without a win in the league as our form is slipping and we are off the pace again against Dumbarton. We are forced to defend for long periods as our passing again lets us down before a set piece sees Dumbarton take the lead, a corner is half cleared before coming back into Burns who turns and slots in. I try to change things round in the second half but Dumbarton look more likely to add a second than we do to get an equaliser as we start to slide down the league.

Tuesday 27th October 2020 – Scottish League Cup (Quarter Final)

St Johnstone (Premiership) 1-1aet pens 3-4 East Fife (Championship)

Goals: Alexander (6) ; Ormesher (24)

MOTM: MacPherson (7.7)

A decent start is ruined when we lose the ball in midfield and two quick passes later sees Alexander fire in from just inside the box. We stick with the plan though of defend and counter attack against a team struggling towards the bottom of the Premiership and it works when Ormesher plays a one-two with MacPherson before slotting in. With the scores level our confidence seems to build while St Johnstone's heads drop but the defences are well in control for much of the match. Ormesher sees our only good chance saved at the beginning of the second half while McDowall makes two solid saves (One in injury time & one in extra time) as two tired teams seem happy to settle for penalties. McDowall proves to be the hero saving the 4th & 5th efforts from St Johnstone while Sharp, MacPherson, Miller & Reid all slot in to send us into the semi-finals.

Club News

We weren't the only team to register a shock win in the League Cup as both Celtic & Rangers were dumped out by fellow Premiership clubs. We face Motherwell in one semi while St Mirren draw Ross County in the other.

Saturday 31st October 2020 – Scottish Cup (3rd Round)

Arbroath (League 1) 2-1 East Fife (Championship)

Goals: Fisher (32), Porritt (69) ; MacPherson (44)

MOTM: Porritt (7.9) (Arbroath)

Another cup game as I look to put our league woes behind us but despite having a large amount of possession we do little with it early on. Arbroath look threatening from set pieces and that proves to be the case when Fisher heads in a corner. As the half goes on we start to create chances and Ormesher plays MacPherson in who finds the far corner just before the break. The second half continues in the same fashion until a goalmouth scramble sees Pollitt nod in a second and that proves to be the winner as we crash out of the Scottish Cup.

154LeagueTableOctober2020.png

Scotland

East Fife

November 2020

Tuesday 3rd November 2020 – Scottish Championship (12/36)

Queen of the South (10th) 0-1 East Fife (6th)

Goals: Gardiner (83)

MOTM: Gardiner (7.2)

This is the sort of match we should be winning if we want to stay in the league and we make a good start controlling possession. Its a game of missed chances and cards though as Thomson, Byrne & Durie all see good chances wasted while both teams pick up a number of yellow cards. The game changes midway through the second half when Thomson picks up a second yellow and going down to 10 men tempers our attacking threat. A little later in the half a second yellow sees Queen of the South also reduced to 10 men and suddenly we are creating chances again. Durie hits the post before we finally score when Gardiner directs in a near post cross to register a much needed win.

Match Injury: Donald Macari – Out for about a month with a twisted knee.

Saturday 7th November 2020 – Scottish Championship (13/36)

East Fife (6th) 0-0 Hamilton Academical (3rd)

Goals:

MOTM: Collier (7.2)

Attendance: 493

Its a positive performance and we are in control for much of the match. Hamilton rarely threaten with one half chance all they have to show while we create a little coming forward. MacPherson misses the target with good chances at the beginning of each half while Gardiner has an angled shot saved. On another day we could have had a solid 1-0 win but we'll take a good performance and a point given our recent results.

Saturday 21st November 2020 – Scottish Championship (14/36)

Greenock Morton (3rd) 1-2 East Fife (6th)

Goals: Wilson (75) ; MacPherson (21, 37)

MOTM: MacPherson (8.8)

Milestone: Craig McDowall - 150th Career League Appearance

Morton pack the midfield which allows us plenty of possession at the back as we continue our good form. Despite the possession it takes Morton pushing forward to open the scoring when a counter attack sees Gardiner driving at the defence before laying off for MacPherson to slot into an empty net. The two strikers combine again for the second when Gardiner's left wing cross finds the run of MacPherson and he forces it in at the second attempt. We have chances to kill the game off with Durie, MacPherson & McGinn all wasting clear shots before Wilson pulls one back for Morton by heading in a right wing cross. Its nothing more than a consolation though as we see out the match for a good win.

Wednesday 25th November 2020 – Scottish Championship (15/36)

East Fife (6th) 2-2 Kilmarnock (5th)

Goals: Durie (58), Reid (90) ; Crane (pen 27), McLean (73)

MOTM: Black (7.8) (Kilmarnock)

Attendance: 710

Milestone: Andy Gardiner - 100th Career Appearance

Early on we are under pressure and forced to defend but just as we start to get a foothold in the match a deep freekick sees Fraser give up a soft penalty. We are never at our best chasing the game but I release the shackles a little in the second half and we start to create chances. We miss a couple before Durie overlaps to find the equaliser and we continue to press while Kilmarnock look dangerous on the break. Another freekick sees McLean lose his marker to put Kilmarnock back in front and that looks to be it. We don't deserve to lose and the players fight right up to the end eventually getting their reward when a long throw sees Byrne beat the keeper to the ball, squaring for Reid to tap in with virtually the last kick of the match.

155LeagueTableNovember2020.png

Scotland

East Fife

December 2020

Saturday 5th December 2020 – Scottish Championship (16/36)

East Fife (6th) 1-2 Livingston (7th)

Goals: Thomson (49) ; Jeffrey (37), Shankland (71)

MOTM: Hillcoat (7.5) (Livingston)

Attendance: 649

After a ten day break we look half asleep giving away possession and struggling to get forward. As usual though our defence does ok with McDowall making a couple of good saves before committing a howler to gift Livingston the lead when he fails to collect a through ball leaving Jeffrey to tap in. I throw things at halftime and encourage more positive play which seems to work as Thomson slots in an equaliser. We return to our sloppy ways though and are punished when Shankland finds space between the defenders to fire in a winner.

Manager News

The media link me with the Rotherham Utd (English League 1) job but I hear nothing further from the club.

Saturday 12th December 2020 – Scottish Championship (17/36)

Dunfermline Athletic (1st) 0-3 East Fife (6th)

Goals: MacPherson (29), Sharp (pen 45), Gardiner (60)

MOTM: Gardiner (8.3)

I rotate the squad with a few players returning from injury as we travel to the top of the league side with little hope of getting anything. I'm not surprised that we are under pressure early but once we see off the initial threat we work our way into the match. Injury to Gormley sees Collier come off the bench and he immediately makes his mark when his run down the left is picked out, he cuts the ball inside for Gardiner who chips it for MacPherson to head in at the far post to give us the lead. With confidence building Macari wins a penalty driving into the box when the defender sticks his foot out and Sharp has no problems despatching it. Dunfermline have the better of possession but offer little coming forward and Gardiner kills the game off when he plays a one-two with McGinn before confidently finding the far corner to seal a fantastic win.

Match Injury: Alan Gormley – Out for around 4/5 weeks with a thigh strain.

Wednesday 16th December 2020 – Scottish Championship (18/36)

Falkirk (9th) 2-2 East Fife (5th)

Goals: McQuilken (31), O'Neill (63) ; MacPherson (19, pen 81)

MOTM: MacPherson (8.6)

Along with Queen of the South Falkirk are adrift at the bottom of the league and I'm keen to keep them there. Its our usual poor start though before gaining a foothold and quickly turning it into a goal when a McGinn freekick rattles the bar with MacPherson on hand to tap in. Confidence doesn't build this time though as Fraser nearly gifts them a goal when he loses possession at the back before Sharp sees red for a two footed tackle. McQuilken pulls them level heading in a corner before O'Neill looks to have won it for them in the second half but subs shakes things up and we rescue a point when Bonner wins a late penalty which MacPherson fires in. Overall a poor performance and nothing like the previous game.

Saturday 19th December 2020 – Scottish Championship (19/36)

Aberdeen (6th) 2-0 East Fife (5th)

Goals: Fenton (15), Fraser (og 23)

MOTM: Scales (7.3) (Aberdeen)

Another game, another poor start and we more or less gift Aberdeen the points. A right wing cross is only half cleared under pressure by Preston with Fenton heading in before keeper & Fraser go for the same low cross which flies into the net. We create little while Aberdeen never get out of second gear as its another frustrating performance.

Saturday 26th December 2020 – Scottish Championship (20/36)

East Fife (7th) 0-0 Dumbarton (2nd)

Goals:

MOTM: Evans (7.1) (Dumbarton)

Attendance: 563

I'm looking for a more positive start and I get one as we hassle Dumbarton but we still struggle going forwards. We keep it up all game as Dumbarton create nothing but on the flipside all our direct play achieves is to turn the defence around. There is one good chance in the whole match and it falls to Gardiner who gets on the end of a long ball only to see his shot saved but its still a point gained.

156LeagueTableDecember2020.png

A bit of both I think.

We are certainly inconsistent, on a good day we can play really well while on a bad day our passing is terrible and we keep giving the ball away.

In terms of achievement our rep caught up last season with most of the other teams but money wise we can't really compete quite yet so our squad is slightly behind. That said there isn't that much between the teams in the bottom half with the odd goal deciding most matches.

Falkirk are also doing us a massive favour and should really be in the top half of the table leaving us fighting over the relegation playoff place with Hamilton/Morton/Livingston.

Scotland

East Fife

January 2021

Saturday 2nd January 2021 – Scottish Championship (21/36)

East Fife (6th) 2-3 Queen of the South (10th)

Goals: MacPherson (43), Byrne (90) ; Coogans (28, pen 68), McCutcheon (58)

MOTM: Coogans (8.6) (Queen of the South)

Attendance: 564

Home to bottom of the league should be a comfortable win but despite a good start we find ourselves a goal down when a deep freekick sees Christie palm a header away only for Coogans to tap in the rebound. MacPherson is the striker in form and he pulls us level before the break with a smart turn and shot. Despite dominating possession and chances it feels like just one of those days when a rocket from McCutcheon flies in before Wilson gives up a soft penalty during a deep freekick. Byrne comes off the bench to grab a consolation in injury time but we start the year with a defeat despite being much the better team.

Player News

Blair Wallace (DC) asks me to terminate his loan contract as he doesn't feel he has played enough. He hadn't really impressed in the ten games he played for East Fife and with more than half the season gone along with Preston back from injury I decide to let him return to Ross County.

Wednesday 6th January 2021 – Scottish Championship (22/36)

Hamilton Academical (8th) 0-0 East Fife (7th)

Goals:

MOTM: McDowall (7.2)

Once again we aren't at our best but the defence cope well with both sides struggling to get a sight of goal. A second yellow for Thomson reduces us to ten men just before the break as our attacking threat dwindles further. A couple of half chances is the best each side can muster as a dull game ends goalless.

Manager News

Out of the blue I get an interview offer from English Skrill Premier side, Scunthorpe Utd. They are a professional team with ok finances but the Skrill Premier (77th) is ranked much lower than the Scottish Championship (54th). On balance I feel like it would have to be a league club to attract me to England so I reject the offer.

Saturday 9th January 2021 – Scottish Championship (23/36)

East Fife (7th) 2-1 Greenock Morton (6th)

Goals: Durie (56), Gardiner (79) ; Wilson (52)

MOTM: Gardiner (8.1)

Attendance: 511

Milestone: Andy Gardiner: 100th Career League Appearance

Against a Morton team that pack the midfield we surprisingly dominate possession but do little with it as our balls in the final third let us down. The first half is pretty dull as Morton only manage a couple of long shots but after the break they open up putting us under pressure and are rewarded when Wilson finds the net with a freekick. We stick with it though with Byrne feeding the overlapping run of Durie to pull us level before missing a golden chance himself. With the match looking like fizzing out into a draw a route one ball from Bonner clears the defence with Gardiner quick to react sidestepping the keeper to fire in a winner to cap his 100th career league appearance and give us our first win in six matches.

Training Injury: Andy Gardiner – Out for about two weeks with a strained wrist.

Saturday 16th January 2021 – Scottish Championship (24/36)

East Fife (5th) 1-2 Dunfermline Athletic (1st)

Goals: Fraser (36) ; North (7), McLaughlin (24)

MOTM: McLaughlin (8.1) (Dunfermline)

Attendance: 1,460

Always going to be a tough game and it proves to be the case as Dunfermline really hammer us early on. We are forced to defend for long periods and when we do cross the halfway line the team are closed down quickly. When Dunfermline win possession they break with pace down the wings with two crosses producing goals, North heading in from the left and McLaughlin from the right. A set piece gives us hope when a deep McGinn freekick sees Fraser volley in at the far post as we go into the break just the one goal down. Dunfermline sit back more in the second half happy to keep possession and this works in our favour as the defence gets time to track back. With subs on we make a final push for a point in the last 15 minutes but its not to be with McGinn coming the closest rattling the post. A spirited defeat given we were well outclassed but we need more points as Falkirk picked up a win to inch closer in the league.

Training Injury: Michael Thomson – Out for around six weeks with a twisted ankle.

Saturday 23rd January 2021 – Scottish Championship (25/36)

Kilmarnock (2nd) 3-1 East Fife (6th)

Goals: McLean (5, 14), Brown (7) ; Ormesher (47)

MOTM: McLean (8.7) (Kilmarnock)

Milestone: Darren Sharp - 50th League Appearance for East Fife

Any chance we had gets blown away early by three set pieces. McLean heads in a corner from each side while inbetween Brown finds the net with a freekick from just outside the box. Once we settle we actually do ok and Ormesher has a good chance saved just before the break. He does score early in the second half though when McGinn is played through squaring for him to tap in and both Byrne & Ormesher see chances saved as Kilmarnock take the points.

Wednesday 27th January 2021 – Scottish League Cup (Semi Final) (Neutral Ground)

East Fife (Championship) 2-0 Motherwell (Premiership)

Goals: Reid (4), Fraser (12)

MOTM: Reid (7.9)

Motherwell give us time and space on the ball early which works in our favour as patient passing down the left sees Ormesher cut the ball back for Reid to drive in an early goal. We are two up when a long MacPherson freekick hits the bar with Fraser the first to the rebound and it could have been more as Ormesher sees a good chance saved before Reid hits the post when it was easier to score. Once the match settles Motherwell look more stable in defence but offer little coming forward putting us under little pressure all game. We are happy to knock the ball around as Motherwell bow out with a wimper but I'm not complaining as I take East Fife to their first League Cup Final in 67 years.

Transfer News

With limited funds I have no interest in bringing any more players in at this stage while the only squad member attracting interest is 16yo fullback Alan Gormley again. Welsh Premier League side TNS, a few English clubs and several Scottish clubs come knocking and I tell them all the same – I want £100k, part of it structured but £100k is the price which none of them want to match.

157LeagueTableJanuary2021.png

Scotland

East Fife

February 2021

Tuesday 2nd February 2021 – Scottish Championship (26/36)

Livingston (5th) 1-2 East Fife (6th)

Goals: McWilliams (2) ; MacPherson (63), Ormesher (90)

MOTM: MacPherson (9.0)

We get off to a bad start when McWilliams gets his head to a left wing cross to give Livingston an early lead and we look shaky in defence in the early stages. Once settled though the match turns into a midfield battle with Wilson missing the only good chance of the half when his shot is clawed away. We improve significantly in the second half as the team relax and MacPherson finds the far corner with a freekick to pull us level. Both he & Reid miss good chances to win the match before Ormesher plays a late one-two and fires into the far corner to seal a well earned win in injury time.

Saturday 6th February 2021 – Scottish Championship (27/36)

East Fife (6th) 2-2 Falkirk (9th)

Goals: Ormesher (29, 34) ; Sears (pen 54), Shields (74)

MOTM: Ormesher (8.8)

Attendance: 712

With Falkirk in the relegation zone I'm keen to make sure they stay there and we make a positive start. Ormesher has a new found confidence and his first half brace gives us a comfortable lead – The first when he drags his marker wide before cutting back inside the cover to drill in and the second when he drifts off his marker to volley in a low cross from Durie. Falkirk respond after the break though with Preston giving up a soft penalty as he sticks his foot in. This gives them confidence and they finish strongly with Shields firing in to earn them a point.

Saturday 13th February 2021 – Scottish Championship (28/36)

East Fife (6th) 1-2 Aberdeen (3rd)

Goals: Ormesher (31) ; Lynch (70, 75)

MOTM: Lynch (8.8)

Attendance: 885

Milestone: Jamie Reid - 100th League Appearance for East Fife

Milestone: Darren Sharp - 100th Career Appearance

Milestone: James MacPherson - 50th Career Appearance

The run in is on us as we start the last round of matches eleven points ahead of Falkirk who are in the relegation playoff place. Against Aberdeen I know it will be tough and that proves to be the case as we are forced to defend limiting their chances. We take the lead when McGinn wins the ball in midfield, playing forward to MacPherson who picks out the run of Ormesher to give us a shock lead. We hold on for much of the match with Aberdeen creating next to nothing but eventually their quality tells as a late brace from Lynch steals the points.

Saturday 20th February 2021 – Scottish Championship (29/36)

Queen of the South (10th) 1-1 East Fife (6th)

Goals: Degnan (90) ; Ormesher (37)

MOTM: McLaughlin (8.1) (Dunfermline)

Milestone: Donald Macari - 50th Career Appearance

Milestone: Garreth Byrne - 50th Appearance for East Fife

We are looking for points against the bottom of the league and make a good start but our final ball into the box lets us down. In response Queen of the South look dangerous on the break with McDowall making two good saves to keep the scores level. The deadlock is broken when a deep freekick for Queen of the South is cleared up to Ormesher who runs half the length of the pitch before confidently slotting past the keeper. The second half is much tighter with few chances but in injury time Degnan finds space on the edge of the box to fire into the far corner to rescue a point from an even game. I'm a little disappointed we didn't get the win but a point is good and keeps the gap to the relegation zone with seven matches to go.

Player News

With five goals in four matches Paul Ormesher has been on a hot streak and is rewarded when he is named “Scottish Championship Player of the Month”

158LeagueTableFebruary2021.png

Scotland

East Fife

March 2021

Training Injury: Craig McDowall – Out for about 10 days with a sprained wrist.

Saturday 6th March 2021 – Scottish Championship (30/36)

Dumbarton (4th) 3-2 East Fife (7th)

Goals: Lindsay (pen 14), Harris (48, 72) ; MacPherson (4, 21)

MOTM: Harris (8.9) (Dumbarton)

We make a flying start when Ormesher is played through, he gets pushed wide but chips the ball back for MacPherson to head in. Its ruined though when Preston stretches to make a tackle in the box giving away, what I thought, was a harsh penalty and getting a red card as the last man. Despite the setback we have the lead again when Ormesher bursts down the left and crosses for MacPherson to volley in his second. I switch things round at halftime as Ormesher gets sacrificed up front while Fraser has picked up a knock at the back but it doesn't help as Dumbarton take the game to us in the second half. Harris pulls them level just after the break and eventually finds the winner later in the half as our defence looks very shaky.

Youth Intake

16 players join the youth team and a handful of them seem to have the potential to make the first team. Goalkeeper John Gallacher & fullback Matthew Evans look solid while striker Jim Hawke seems to be the most advanced for his age. The pick of the bunch according to the coaches though is speedy forward, Graham Collier.

159YouthIntakeMarch2021.png

160GrahamCollier.png

Wednesday 10th March 2021 – Scottish Championship (31/36)

East Fife (8th) 0-0 Hamilton Academical (7th)

Goals:

MOTM: Bullock (7.3) (Hamilton)

Attendance: 505

Milestone: Mark Fraser - 200th Career Appearance

Milestone: Donald Macari - 50th Career Appearance for East Fife

Its four games without a win in the league and we have dropped a couple of places but we are still 12 points clear of Falkirk & Queen of the South with six games to go. Home to the team above us means I'm looking for points as we control possession and create the better chances. Ormesher & MacPherson have good chances saved in the first half while Macari blasts wide in the second as we are forced to settle for another point.

Sunday 14th March 2021 – Scottish League Cup (FINAL)

Ross County (Premiership) 0-1 East Fife (Championship)

Goals: Fraser (12)

MOTM: Fraser (7.8)

The biggest match in East Fife's recent history as we reach our first Cup final since 1954. We face Premiership side Ross County who are appearing in their first League Cup final but have made six other finals in the last 20 years (Five League Challenge Cup & one Scottish Cup). We are under pressure early but as we have done in the past we pack the defence and frustrate the opposition. An early corner is returned back to Reid who picks out Wilson on the edge of the box, he nods down to Fraser who turns and fires in to give us a shock lead. Ross County push on but we limit them to long shots for most of the match and as their heads drop in the second half we take control of possession with Scott coming off the bench to miss a golden chance to seal the win. In the end it doesn't matter as we see out the game to lift the League Cup.

Reserve Match Injury: Alan McGinn – Out for about three weeks with a gashed leg.

Saturday 20th March 2021 – Scottish Championship (32/36)

Greenock Morton (6th) 3-0 East Fife (8th)

Goals: Young (18, 75), Cham (24)

MOTM: Young (9.1) (Morton)

Five games to go in the league and two points will make us safe from relegation. I'm looking for a good performance following the League Cup win but its not to be as our old issues return. A set piece gives them the lead as a corner is blocked on the line with Young on hand to tap and its two shortly after when a deep cross sees Cham head in at the far post. When we do get a chance Byrne sees the keeper make a good double save before Young adds a late third to kill the game off.

161LeagueTableMarch2021.png

Congrats on the cup win! A fantastic achievement!

Yes, really unexpected.

It just seemed to be one of those competitions where everything went right for us and with Celtic/Rangers crashing out there was always an opportunity for someone else.

Scotland

East Fife

April 2021

Saturday 3rd April 2021 – Scottish Championship (33/36)

Dunfermline Athletic (1st) 1-0 East Fife (8th)

Goals: Hughes (39)

MOTM: Hughes (7.2) (Dunfermline)

Milestone: Jay Collier - 100th Career Appearance

Four games to go and although we can technically still be caught by Falkirk & Queen of the South I doubt they'll win all of their remaining matches. With this in mind I switch to a 4132 formation to bulk up the midfield and rotate the team as I look to change our fortunes. Its a pretty decent performance against a much stronger team who look like returning to the Premiership at the first attempt. For the most part Dunfermline are limited to a few half chances while Collier sees a chance blocked during a corner scramble. The opening goal comes when Dunfermline get a corner scramble of their own with the ball falling to Hughes to side foot in. The second half is mostly controlled by Dunfermline but Gardiner hits the woodwork twice on the break as our failure to take our chances sees us chalk up another defeat.

Training Injury: Jamie Reid – Out for about one month with a groin strain.

Saturday 17th April 2021 – Scottish Championship (34/36)

East Fife (8th) 1-2 Kilmarnock (2nd)

Goals: MacPherson (21) ; McCluskey (26), Brown (31)

MOTM: Russell (7.8) (Kilmarnock)

Attendance: 707

We continue our good performance in the Dunfermline match and take the lead when Gardiner picks out the run of MacPherson between the central defenders. Unfortunately it doesn't last as McCluskey heads in a corner before Brown finds the net with a turn and shot as we are once again left chasing the game. The rest of the match is relatively even, Kilmarnock sees two good chances saved by McDowall while both Scott and Thomson hit the woodwork in the second half. In the end its another good performance but once again we get nothing from it.

Match Injury: Alan Gormley – Out for 3/4 weeks with a gashed leg.

Training Injury: Darren Sharp – Out for 3/4 months with a broken ankle

Saturday 24th April 2021 – Scottish Championship (35/36)

East Fife (8th) 1-0 Livingston (4th)

Goals: MacPherson (54)

MOTM: McDowall (7.8)

Attendance: 1,396

Milestone: Mark Fraser - 100th Career Appearance for East Fife

Its now eight games without a win in the league but we are also 100% safe from relegation with Falkirk dropping points last week. With nothing to play for its a case of just going through the motions and trying to give the fans something to cheer for at the last home match of the season. Its a difficult start as Livingston play keep ball forcing us to defend in the early stages but as the match progresses we work our way into the game and create chances. Ormesher is the villain wasting no less than three clear chances while on the break the pace of Sutton causes us problems with McDowall saving well more than once to keep the scores level. MacPherson breaks the deadlock in the second half when McGinn spots his run and we look the more likely to add to the scoresheet as we send the fans home happy.

Saturday 1st May 2021 – Scottish Championship (36/36)

Falkirk (10th) 2-3 East Fife (8th)

Goals: Hunter (38), Shearer (78) ; Ormesher (17), MacPherson (24), Wilson (61)

MOTM: Wilson (8.0)

Milestone: James MacPherson - 50th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Kai Wilson - 1st Goal for East Fife

Last match of the season and Falkirk are staring into the abyss, they need a win to have any hope of making the relegation playoff. They dominate possession for much of the match but our good form is evident on the break as we look dangerous every time we come forward. Ormesher finds his shooting boots again as he scores for the first time in six matches when MacPherson squares the ball and its two when MacPherson gambles on a long ball that the defender misses. Falkirk seem to be falling apart but out of nothing Hunter pulls off his man to volley in a left wing cross to keep them in the match. More of the same in the second half and we should have had a hatful but I have to settle for Wilson driving in when a corner isn't cleared. Falkirk finally create a chance late in the game when a long diagonal ball finds the run of Shearer but we are never in any real danger as we finish the season on a high.

Scotland

East Fife

2020/21 Season Review

Scottish Championship

Dunfermline Athletic were one of the favourites having been relegated from the Premiership and they didn't disappoint setting the pace for much of the season before lifting the title. The other relegated team, Aberdeen had a poor start but recovered to claim a playoff spot as did Kilmarnock while Dumbarton were consistently towards the top. Aberdeen came through the playoffs to face Inverness Caledonian Thistle for the place in the Premiership but came up short as Inverness CT kept their spot.

Down at the bottom promoted Queen of the South struggled all season but snatched the playoff place in the final match to relegate the disappointing Falkirk. It wasn't enough though as they lost to Stirling Albion in the playoffs.

The board expected us to stay clear of relegation and were happy that we finished 8th.

162FinalLeagueTable2021.png

Scottish Cup

There were a few surprises this season but in general the Premiership clubs had their way with all four semi finalists. Ross County made only their second final by beating Dundee Utd in one semi while Celtic beat Motherwell in the other before going on to lift the trophy for the 40th time.

We crashed out at the first hurdle as Arbroath beat us in the 3rd round which the board were disappointed with.

169ScottishCup2021.png

Scottish League Cup

The Premiership clubs dominated the League Cup but we didn't let them have their own way. Ross County made their second Cup final of the season by beating St Mirren in one semi. We had already despatched Hearts & St Johnstone enroute to the other where we edged out Motherwell before shocking Ross County in the final to lift the trophy for the 4th time.

The board were understandably delighted with their first trophy in 67 years.

170ScottishLeagueCup2021.png

Scottish League Challenge Cup

The Challenge Cup was again full of shocks & surprises as the bigger names fell by the wayside. The first semi saw two Scottish League 2 clubs going head to head with Cowdenbeath making the headlines as they beat Stranraer to reach the final for the first time. The other semi saw Livingston edge the favourites Dunfermline Athletic in extra time before going on to lift the trophy for the first time.

We made the quarter finals before losing on penalties to Stranraer which I was disappointed with but the board weren't bothered.

171ScottishLeagueChallengeCup2021.png

Awards

Scottish Championship Player of the Year: Tom Gorman (21yo Scottish ST/AML) (Livingston)

Scottish Championship Manager of the Year: Scott Leitch (Dunfermline Athletic)

Scottish Championship Team of the Year:

GK – Iain Turner (37yo Scottish GK) (Dunfermline Athletic)

DR – Jason Crane (21yo Scottish DR) (Kilmarnock)

DL – Kyle Turnbull (26yo Scottish DL/DC, ML) (Dumbarton)

DC – Martin McCluskey (22yo Scottish DC) (Kilmarnock)

DC – Grant Evans (31yo Scottish DC/DRL) (Dumbarton)

MR – Kabba Cham (28yo The Gambia ST/MRC) (Greenock Morton)

ML – Scott Laird (33yo Scottish DL/ML) (Kilmarnock)

MC – Jamie Lindsay (26yo English MC/MR) (Dumbarton)

MC – Kevin Ramsay (22yo Scottish MC) (Kilmarnock)

ST – Tom Gorman (21yo Scottish ST/AML) (Livingston)

ST – Adam Morgan (27yo English ST) (Dunfermline Athletic)

East Fife Fans' Player of the Year: Craig McDowall (30yo Scottish GK)

Squad Review

Goalkeepers

I brought Craig in to provide competition for Scott but the coaches always thought he was the better keeper. Early on in the season he looked shaky with Scott my preferred option but eventually he settled down to claim the starting jersey. 17yo Allan Allison has had a good season in the youth team making plenty of progress and with Scott looking to retire from full time football his days at the club are numbered.

Craig McDowall (30yo Scottish GK) – 31 apps, 37 conceded, 10 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.94

Scott Christie (33yo Scottish GK) – 15 apps, 23 conceded, 4 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.79

Fullbacks

It was the same story as last season on the right as Macari & Durie shared the workload. Durie was the more consistent while Macari seemed to be either fantastic or terrible with too many poor days for my liking. On the left Collier returned from his loan spell to have a decent season as starter although he struggled against the better opposition while our talented teenager, Gormley showed he still has lots to learn.

Donald Macari (20yo Scottish DR) – 22 (6) apps, 0 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.65

Scott Durie (29yo Scottish DR/DC, MR) – 24 (10) apps, 3 goals, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 6.86

Jay Collier (23yo Scottish DL) – 33 (5) apps, 4 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.82

Alan Gormley (17yo Scottish DL/DR) – 13 (4) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.60

Central Defenders

Fraser was one of the first names on the teamsheet and arguably played better than his average suggests, maybe as a result of playing as the spare man at the back. Bonner played well for much of the season before his form tailed off in the run in while Miller recovered from a shaky start to make a solid improvement and finish the season strongly. This left Preston who failed to build on last season and was that poor that I may need to look for other options next year.

Tom Bonner (33yo Scottish DRC/DL) – 34 (1) apps, 2 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.71

Mark Fraser (25yo Scottish DC/DRL) – 42 (3) apps, 4 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.75

Keith Preston (22yo Scottish DC/DRL) – 17 (1) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.54

Ritchie Miller (23yo Irish DC/MC) – 31 (3) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.73

Midfielders

Sharp picked up where he left off last season as the holding midfielder while Wilson who was brought in as competition made a slow start before settling into a utility role in the middle. Scott was the pick of the midfielders last year but after a solid start his age caught up with him which restricted his appearances. As he fell away from the starting eleven it was a retrained Reid who grew into the playmaker role when he got a run in the team. I struggled to get the best out of the on loan, McGinn who was in & out of the team while after a good start Thomson reacted badly to a fine which saw him out of the squad for much of the second half of the season. This leaves Sawyer who was injured early in the season and failed to impress or progress when he recovered.

Martin Scott (35yo Scottish MC/MRL) – 21 (9) apps, 3 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.90

Darren Sharp (24yo Scottish DM/MC) – 30 (4) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.74

Michael Thomson (27yo Scottish MC/ML) – 16 (3) apps, 1 goal, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 6.83

Jamie Reid (27yo Scottish MRL) – 22 (17) apps, 3 goals, 7 assists, Ave Rating: 6.88

Alan McGinn (21yo Scottish MC/DM) – 24 (10) apps, 0 goals, 8 assists, Ave Rating: 6.71

Kai Wilson (24yo Scottish DM/MC) – 25 (4) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.71

Gareth Sawyer (21yo English MC/DC) – 4 (10) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.70

Strikers

Two on loan strikers joined two contracted ones to compete for the places. On loan Byrne was the pick of the frontmen last year but after a good start his form tailed off and he lost his place to the other loanee, MacPherson who won the fans over with a solid season as the target man. Gardiner started & finished the season as my preferred advanced striker but inbetween Ormesher had his moments and a purple patch after Xmas.

Garreth Byrne (22yo Scottish ST/AMR) – 19 (11) apps, 9 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 6.82

Andy Gardiner (25yo Northern Irish ST) – 20 (7) apps, 8 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 6.89

James MacPherson (20yo Scottish ST/MC) – 35 (3) apps, 14 goals, 10 assists, Ave Rating: 7.02

Paul Ormesher (21yo English ST/MR) – 18 (13) apps, 10 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 6.87

Scotland

East Fife

Off-Season Report

FINANCES

With the finances in bad shape the board acted last year making the club part time and severely cutting the wage budget. It had the desired effect with the bank looking much healthier a season on. Income was slightly up mainly due to our run in the League Cup but the extra prize money we won just covered the lower prize money from our final league position. Expenses were down by almost a third with the biggest saving being made in wages, especially player wages which dropped by 40%. Overall we turned last years £145k loss into a £250k profit improving the bank balance to a £200k overdraft.

The board set the initial budgets: Transfer budget £0 & Wage budget £31k per month. More or less the same as last season which proved to be workable especially with several players moving onto lower part time contracts.

Staying in the Championship means our reputation didn't alter and is on a par with most of the other clubs in the league. In terms of value we are still behind the rest of the league but we've matched many of them in turnover this season which is an improvement. Finally after dropping last season our average attendance bounced back improving from 615 to 780 which is the highest for eight seasons.

MANAGER NEWS

Before I can get stuck into transfers & contracts another interview offer lands on my desk from recently relegated Stevenage (English League 1, soon to be League 2). I made the decision back in January when Skrill Premier side, Scunthorpe Utd offered me an interview that it would have to be a full time league club to tempt me to England and Stevenage match that.

163StevenageInterview.png

I must have made an impression as a job offer quickly follows:

164StevenageJob.png

Although I have East Fife heading in the right direction dropping back to part time status last season was a huge disappointment and they face a long fight before being in a position to make significant progress. The English League 2 is on a par reputation wise with the Scottish Championship while although Stevenage have insecure finances they are a full time club with much bigger financial clout. All in all it seems a step in the right direction, especially as my wages will improve from £2,600 to £4,400 a month.

I would take the Stevenage job! Makes the most sense. You'll have more financial muscle and you be on the ladder of a stronger and more reputable pyramid in England.

Its a close call with East Fife now making a profit but full time makes a huge difference so South we go.

England

Stevenage

(Started 17.05.21, contract £4,400 a month until June 2023)

165StevenageBadge.png

Background

Stevenage FC are a relatively young club having been founded in 1976 from the ashes of the towns former club which went bankrupt. They have local rivalries with Barnet, Luton Town, Woking & Cambridge Utd.

166StevenageBackground.png

Stadium

Broadhall Way – 6,722 (3,501 seated)

167StevenageStadium.png

Affiliated Clubs

Feeder Club – Dover Athletic (English Skrill South), Loan

Feeder Club – Hitchin Town (English Non-League), Loan

Feeder Club – Maidenhead Utd (English Skrill Premier), Loan

Finances

I knew Stevenage had insecure finances when I took the job but I'm struggling to understand how it got into this position after making a £600k profit last year. Income this season has dropped nearly 50% despite the club finishing just a few places lower in the league while expenses are down 20%. Overall the club is currently making a loss of £1.1m although prize money from the league is still to come which leaves the bank £1.3m in overdraft to add to the long term loan which has £675k outstanding on it.

The player's wage bill is £158k a month which is well over the budget of £120k a month but with many players out of contract or looking to move I should have no problems rebuilding the squad within the limits.

Staff

The club currently employs the following staff:

Head of Youth, Assistant Manager, Coach, GK Coach, Fitness Coach, two Physios & two Scouts.

England

Stevenage

Competitions

Since being promoted to the league in 2010 Stevenage have been a team who have always been towards the top of League 2 or fighting relegation in League 1. After finishing 19th last season their four year run in the league ended this year when they finished 21st just one point from safety. Next season will only be their 4th campaign in League 2 and three of those have ended in promotion so I will be expected to hit the ground running.

Cup competitions weren't kind to Stevenage this season with little progress being made in any of them. They have had recent success though in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy making the final in both 2019 & 2020 but they lost both to Fleetwood Town & Preston North End respectively.

168LeagueTable.png

The Squad

52 players are contracted to the club split between the main squad, U21s & U18s while we have another four on loan from other clubs. We are well over the current wage budget and I expect it will be cut further once the relegation & financial losses kick in. I've joined at the right time though as 27 players have just over a month left on their contracts while several others want to leave which means I have a new squad to build for League 2 next season.

Goalkeepers

35yo Dean Brill is the experienced lower league keeper who has been between the sticks for the past four seasons. He wants to move to a bigger club though and with the high wages he is on I will probably look to move him on. Former youth player, Luke Ogan is the current backup but I'm not convinced he is ready to wear the number one jersey quite yet.

Dean Brill (35yo English GK)

Luke Ogan (21yo English GK)

Fullbacks

On the left loan signing Danny Cartwright relegated former starter Tyler Blackett to the bench as the previous manager deemed him surplus to requirements but with relegation looming he may find himself back in favour. 18yo Callum Smith also made the breakthrough into the first team and looks set to continue in a squad role if I can agree a new deal with him. On the right Colin Slattery had a solid season after signing on a bosman from Sligo Rovers (Republic of Ireland Premier Division) but relegation doesn't seem to suit him and he is already angling for a transfer which he is likely to get given his high wages. The other options are two home grown players, Tommy Marriott was on loan at AFC Wimbledon (Skrill Premier) this season while Darrin Mulholland impressed for the U21s.

Danny Cartwright (21yo English DL) – On Loan from Wigan Athletic (English Premiership)

Tyler Blackett (27yo English DL/DC)

Callum Smith (18yo English DL)

Colin Slattery (22yo Irish DR)

Tommy Marriott (22yo English DR/DL, MR)

Darrin Mulholland (18yo English DR)

Central Defence

Anthony Stewart passed 200 appearances in the centre of the Stevenage defence this season despite being a little short of the required quality, once we drop into League 2 though he should be more comfortable. John Egan has been his regular partner for the last five years but is another who is on big wages and looking for a move. Backup comes in the form of Joe Davis who isn't happy at his lack of appearances but would benefit from Egan moving on if I can persuade him to sign a new deal. The other option was the on loan Kevan Conchie who will be returning to Dunfermline Athletic shortly.

Anthony Stewart (28yo English DC)

John Egan (28yo Irish DC) - Captain

Joe Davis (27yo English DC)

Kevan Conchie (21yo Welsh DC) – On loan from Dunfermline Athletic (Scottish Championship)

Central Midfield

George Pierce has been the starting holding midfielder for the past couple of years but he doesn't seem to have been that impressive so its probably a good idea that he has chosen to leave when his contract expires. This should allow the more rounded Schoenecker more playing time rather than sitting on the bench if I can get him to sign a new deal while home grown Ryan Dobinson is knocking on the door of the first team squad. In the playmaker role Ben Reeves is one of the stars of the team while home grown Haydn Jackson is pushing for a place although I'm not certain what his best role is.

George Pierce (24yo English DM/MC)

Ben Reeves (29yo English AMC/MLC)

Edouard Schoenecker (25yo Cameroon DM/DC, MC)

Haydn Jackson (21yo English MC/DM)

Ryan Dobinson (19yo English DM/DC)

Wingers

Jordan Halsman is the regular starter on the left but after seven years at the club he wants a new challenge and will be leaving on a bosman. Backing him up were the experienced Scott Hogan & Alex Whittle but neither have the quality required and will be moving on. On the right two players have been sharing the work, George Francombe is another who wants a new challenge leaving Alex Bray to fight for a place next season. Talented youth star Robert Clement is also knocking on the door of the first team and depending on the wage budget may get his chance next season.

Jordan Halsman (29yo Scottish ML/DL)

Scott Hogan (29yo English AML/ST)

Alex Whittle (28yo English ML)

George Francombe (29yo English MR/DR) – Vice Captain

Alex Bray (25yo English MR)

Robert Clement (17yo English AMR/AMLC)

Strikers

There has been a fair bit of competition for places up front this season. The pick of the strikers seems to be Luke Wall but in five seasons at Stevenage he hasn't exactly impressed while two loan signings have been lining up beside him. Behind them there are four home grown players who I need to decide if they are worthy of new contracts.

Luke Wall (24yo English ST)

Joel Sonner (17yo English ST/AMR) – On loan from West Ham Utd (English Championship)

Mitch Clarkson (19yo English ST/ML) – On loan from Brighton & Hove Albion (English Championship)

Levi Tillson (22yo English ST/AMRC)

Sam Wright (19yo English ST)

Adam Masters (22yo English ST/AMRL)

Ray Jones (21yo English ST/MR)

England

Stevenage

Off-Season Report

CLUB NEWS/FINANCES

The board announced the new budgets for next season and I find myself with lots of work to do. As expected I have no transfer budget but my wage budget has been slashed from £120k a month down to £85k a month.

With a current wage bill of £158k a month this causes me no end of problems as I have no chance of bringing anyone in or getting any of the current squad to sign new deals until I move some of the high earners on. Most players do have a relegation clause in their contracts though so will see their wages drop while several of the younger players have an extra one year option which I can trigger to keep them for another year on the same wages.

As well as the players the backroom also sees a clearout with many of the staff leaving due to either not wanting to discuss a new deal or not being able to reach an agreement. As the new season gets underway I'm left with two coaches and a scout as the rebuilding begins.

The new season also sees the board helping me out as they invest £550k to help with the running costs.

PLAYER NEWS – OUTGOING

Seven youth players were released in the final month of their contracts while I also released four from the first team in my first wave of culls:

Jordan Halsman (29yo Scottish ML/DL) – Released at end of contract

Time at Stevenage: 7 seasons, Appearances: 257, Goals: 13, Assists: 32

Had already made the decision to leave before I took over and as he was on a high wage I didn't make any effort to change his mind.

George Pierce (24yo English DM/MC) – Released at end of contract

Time at Stevenage: 2 seasons, Appearances: 82, Goals: 2, Assists: 7

Like Jordan he was on a high wage and had already made the decision to leave

Scott Hogan (29yo English AML/ST) – Released at end of contract

Time at Stevenage: 4 seasons, Appearances: 107, Goals: 10, Assists: 1

A squad player with most of his appearances coming from the bench but he simply isn't good enough.

Alex Whittle (28yo English ML) – Released at end of contract

Time at Stevenage: 4 seasons, Appearances: 47, Goals: 0, Assists: 3

Like Scott he simply isn't good enough.

Next job was to stick the high earners on the transfer list and see if I could get some bites. Our goalkeeper soon attracted interest and I quickly offered him out:

Dean Brill (35yo English GK) – Sold to Burnley (English Premier League) for £31k

Time at Stevenage: 4 seasons, Appearances: 191, Clean Sheets: 59

Wanted to move to a bigger club and as he was on high wages I had no problem in letting him go. He isn't that good so I expect he will be second or third choice at Burnley maybe also combining it with some coaching duties.

Next to go was an unhappy player who didn't want to discuss a new deal:

Joe Davis (27yo English DC) – Released at end of contract

Time at Stevenage: 2 seasons, Appearances: 31, Goals: 4, Assists 1

I'm frustrated to lose Joe, the previous manager didn't give him much of a chance but I had plans for him to be a regular first team player and I think his wages would have been affordable.

After a few nervous weeks there is finally some interest in an unhappy player. With a year left on his contract and valued at £600k I thought I might struggle to move him on and be stuck with his high wages but my patience pays off when we get a couple of offers:

John Egan (28yo Irish DC) – Sold to Heart of Midlothian (Scottish Premiership) for £300k

Time at Stevenage: 5 seasons, Appearances: 217, Goals: 3, Assists: 16

Wanted to move to a bigger club and with wages of triple what I can afford for a key player its no surprise that he had to go even if the fans aren't exactly happy about it.

Just as I thought I was getting on top of the squad when Colin Slattery (DR) & George Francomb (MR) request to come off the transfer list and stay at the club two others decide their future lies elsewhere – Ben Reeves (MCL) & Luke Wall (ST). I have an offer almost straight away for Luke and a deal is quickly done:

Luke Wall (24yo English ST) – Sold to Sheffield Wednesday (English Championship) for £375k

Time at Stevenage: 5 seasons, Appearances: 191, Goals: 48, Assists: 5

Luke's history wasn't that impressive so when he said he wanted to move to a bigger club it wasn't a difficult decision. The fans aren't entirely happy but its another player sold for decent money that cost Stevenage nothing which helps the finances.

PLAYER NEWS – INCOMING

With several players leaving and the 25% wage reductions kicking in I can finally start thinking about bringing in new players. The shopping list isn't short, we need a GK, two DCs, a MC, two MLs & a ST and with the league kicking off in 30 days I don't have a lot of time.

The first arrivals are a couple of young DCs:

Bob Charlton (22yo English DC/DR) – Unattached

A product of the Sunderland (English Premier League) youth academy he has spent the last few seasons on loan in the English lower leagues before being released. He lacks a little speed and height but is a hard working player with good technique.

172BobCharlton.png

Matty Morrison (20yo English DC/DR) – Unattached

Turned professional with Rotherham Utd (English League 1) where he has made a handful of appearances and had a season on loan with Stockport County (English Skrill Premier) before being released. Still work in progress and lacks a little in the air but is an athletic, hard working player who should be able to compete for a starting spot.

173MattyMorrison.png

I have fingers in a lot of pies as a goalkeeper is next to join us:

Dale Smith (23yo English GK) – Unattached

Started his career at Norwich City (English Premier League) but for one so young he has been around a number of clubs (Some on loan) and picked up a little experience. I would have liked an older keeper but our choices were limited and Dale should have the skills for this level.

174DaleSmith.png

He is quickly followed by a striker:

Ed McGonigle (19yo English AMR/ST) – Unattached

A product of the Brentford (English Championship) academy and I'm a little surprised they released him as last season he seemed to be making the breakthrough. A strong target man I'm expecting him to be something of a star at this level.

175EdMcGonigle.png

There isn't a whole lot of options for the left wing. The best is a young Scottish wide midfielder but after a short trial he wanted far too much money. I eventually manage to bring one in though:

Jon Wood (20yo English ML) – Unattached

A product of the Blackburn Rovers (English Premier League) academy but was released without making an appearance for them. Last season he was picked up by relegated Cambridge Utd (English League 2) but only made a handful of appearances for them before finding himself unemployed again. Not the ideal signing for us but is a well rounded player who should fill a squad role and the scouts think he has the potential to have a good career in the lower leagues.

176JonWood.png

With no other decent left wingers available I decide to change tack and look to use Reeves more on the left. This leaves us needing a central midfielder and there are more options:

Dean Finn (20yo English MC/DC) – Unattached

Came through the youth academy at Brentford (English Championship) and made nearly 100 appearances for them before being released. He was poor last season but dropping two divisions I'm hoping will help him find better form. More defensive than I would have liked but this could allow the likes of Schoenecker a little bit more freedom.

177DeanFinn.png

England

Stevenage

Pre-Season Friendlies 2021

Stevenage (English League 2) 0-2 Crystal Palace (English Championship)

Goals: Handling (14), Obita (89)

MOTM: Obita (7.3) (Crystal Palace)

First friendly with an unfit thrown together squad is a decent effort against a team two leagues above us. Indecision in defence allows Handling a little time to grab the early lead while Obita does similar as we tire late on. Overall Crystal Palace edged the game and created the better chances but there were encouraging signs from the team.

Stevenage (English League 2) 1-1 Yeovil Town (English League 1)

Goals: Bray (68) ; Bradley (71)

MOTM: Bray (7.3)

A fairly solid performance against a team from the league above us. We had an even share of possession and created a number of chances before Bray put one away. Yeovil had a few half chances and grabbed an equaliser but all in all not bad.

Dover Athletic (English Skrill South) 1-0 Stevenage (English League 2)

Goals: Campbell (21)

MOTM: Hall (7.5) (Dover Athletic)

The younger fringe players get a chance away to the lower league side. They look a little disorganised for much of the match as they are still getting used to each other and the tactics but in general not a bad performance. Dover take an early lead when Campbell loses his marker but for the most part this was their only chance. We see a second half penalty saved and a few half chances missed but its another match under our belt.

Maidenhead Utd (English Skrill South) 5-1 Stevenage (English League 2)

Goals: Slattery (og 6), Metcalf (13, 17), Goodwin (29), Woods (85) ; Stewart (41)

MOTM: Metcalf (8.8) (Maidenhead Utd)

Simply a horrible performance from the moment Smith dropped a corner which led to Slattery putting through his own net. Our defence was ripped apart while going forward we couldn't take our chances. So much work needed ahead of the league campaign and not enough time means it could be a long season.

Stevenage (English League 2) 1-1 Stevenage U18s

Goals: Francomb (51) ; Mead (87)

MOTM: Francomb (7.5)

You know you have a problem when you lose to your U18 side and we came close as I switched to a new 451 formation. We rode our luck early our U18s hit the woodwork twice and had an effort cleared off the line but once we settled there were signs this might be the best formation for us. Francomb gave us the lead when played through but Mead grabbed a late equaliser on a counter attack.

England

Stevenage

Preview 2021/22 Season

SUMMARY OF MAIN SQUAD

Massive changes at the club both on & off the pitch with a lot of it forced on me. Staff wise no less than seven left the club with eight others joining which has been unsettling. On the field eight first team players moved on while I've so far signed six to replace them. Wages are currently slightly under the new budget and we probably have three players who would be classed as “overpaid”. MR George Francomb decided he wanted to stay in the off-season and his wages are only slightly too high while the two big wage earners are DR Colin Slattery & MLC Ben Reeves. Ben wants to move to a bigger club but we've had no interest in him while Colin wanted to go, then decided to stay and now looks like changing his mind again.

On a positive note we have several youngsters who are on the verge of breaking into the first team and if I can keep it together for one/two seasons we could have a good team.

The captaincy is up for grabs with several candidates and after a lot of thought I hand the armband to former vice captain, George Francomb while DM Edouard Schoenecker replaces him as vice captain.

Goalkeepers

Dale Smith joined on a free and after bouncing around a few clubs he has a real chance to settle down in the number one jersey. Home grown Luke Ogan continues in the backup role and looks about ready to step up should Dale fail to perform.

Dale Smith (23yo English GK)

Luke Ogan (21yo English GK)

Fullbacks

Colin Slattery is first choice on the right while Tyler Blackett reclaims the starting role on the left. Home grown players look to continue their development as backup options – Callum Smith on the left and Tommy Marriott/Darrin Mulholland on the right although Darrin may be loaned out.

Colin Slattery (22yo Irish DR)

Tyler Blackett (27yo English DL/DRC)

Callum Smith (19yo English DL)

Tommy Marriott (22yo English DR/DL, MR)

Darrin Mulholland (19yo English DR)

Central Defence

Anthony Stewart was the only DC I had left in the off season and he joins new signings Bob Charlton & Matty Morrison to compete for the starting places. Home grown Matty Osborne has been promoted to the main squad to continue his development in a backup role.

Anthony Stewart (28yo English DC)

Bob Charlton (22yo English DC/DR)

Matty Morrison (20yo English DC/DR)

Matty Osborne (18yo English DC/DL)

Central Midfield

Ben Reeves has been the main playmaker in the past but given our lack of options on the left he will probably see a lot of time out wide. Edouard Schoenecker should get a lot more game time this season as he competes with new signing Dean Finn & home grown Haydn Jackson for the DM/MC roles. Backup comes in the shape of two more home grown players who are looking to make the breakthrough – Ryan Dobinson at DM & Paul McInnes in a more creative role.

Ben Reeves (29yo English AMC/MLC)

Edouard Schoenecker (25yo Cameroon DM/DC, MC) – Vice Captain

Dean Finn (20yo English MC/DC)

Haydn Jackson (21yo English MC/DM)

Ryan Dobinson (19yo English DM/DC)

Paul McInnes (18yo English AMC/MC)

Wingers

No change on the right as George Francomb competes with Alex Bray for the starting role while new signing Jon Wood will be looking to challenge Ben Reeves on the left. I've also promoted Robert Clement to the main squad to provide cover on both wings.

George Francomb (29yo English MR/DR) – Captain

Alex Bray (26yo English MR)

Jon Wood (20yo English ML)

Robert Clement (18yo English AMR/AMLC)

Forwards

I'm looking for new signing Ed McGonigle to make the starting role his own while Adam Masters really needs to prove himself after a couple of poor seasons. Two home grown players provide backup – Ray Jones & Sam Wright.

Ed McGonigle (19yo English ST/AMR)

Adam Masters (22yo English ST/AMRL)

Ray Jones (21yo English ST/AMR)

Sam Wright (19yo English ST)

The board announced their expectations for the season and I'm pleased to see they are giving me time to rebuild:

English League 2: Respectable League Position

English FA Cup: 2nd Round

English Capital One Cup: Be Competitive

English Johnstone's Paint Trophy: Not Important

English League 2 Preview

You would expect the four relegated clubs to be amongst the favourites (Bristol City, Preston North End, Oxford Utd & ourselves) and they are (except us) while joining them are Notts County, Doncaster Rovers & Walsall. The media seem to have recognised our issues and we are in the chasing pack with many of the others clubs. Down at the bottom promoted Port Vale & Wrexham are joined by Barnet, Bury & AFC Telford as relegation battlers but the close odds suggest a good run could easily see them safe in mid table leaving some of the mid table clubs looking over their shoulders.

Media Prediction

1st  Notts County (3/1)
2nd  Bristol City (3/1)   ***Relegated***
3rd  Oxford Utd (5/1)   ***Relegated***
4th  Doncaster Rovers (5/1)
5th  Preston North End (6/1)   ***Relegated***
6th  Walsall (6/1)
7th  Tranmere Rovers (10/1)
8th  [color="#FF0000"]Stevenage[/color] (12/1)   ***Relegated***
9th  Coventry City (12/1)
10th Swindon town (12/1)
11th Burton Albion (14/1)
12th Gillingham (16/1)
13th Hartlepool Utd (16/1)
14th Shrewsbury Town (16/1)
15th Accrington Stanley (16/1)
16th Newport County (20/1)
17th Forest Green (20/1)
18th York City (20/1)
19th Dagenham & Redbridge (20/1)
20th AFC Telford Utd (25/1)
21st Bury (33/1)
22nd Port Vale (33/1)   ***Promoted***
23rd Wrexham (40/1)   ***Promoted***
24th Barnet (40/1)

England

Stevenage

July/August 2021

Club News

As the season gets underway I have a squad but at this stage it seems a little ramshackle and thrown together. I really need the youngsters to step up and pull their weight when the first teamers are rested while I wouldn't say no to another first team striker & left winger with goals being perhaps an issue.

The squad are getting used to three formations but are still some way off being comfortable with them – A 451 to make best use of the squad, the narrow 4132 I used at East Fife and a bog standard 442.

In terms of injuries we have two out as we get underway:

Jon Wood (ML) – Out for 5/6 weeks with a twisted ankle

Matty Osborne (DC) – A week left with a groin strain

Saturday 31st July 2021 – English League 2 (1/46)

Dagenham & Redbridge 2-0 Stevenage

Goals: Bowery (74), Salmon (90)

MOTM: Salmon (7.5) (Dagenham & Redbridge)

Milestone: Dale Smith – Debut for Stevenage

Milestone: Matty Morrison – Debut for Stevenage

Milestone: Dean Finn – Debut for Stevenage

Milestone: Ed McGonigle – Debut for Stevenage

First match of the season and Dagenham set me a tactical challenge as they play a 4123 formation. Despite the board wanting me to play direct that simply doesn't work with a 451 so I stick with controlling possession and keeping a tight watch on the three strikers. It works for much of the match as we starve Dagenham of the ball but we also struggle to create chances ourselves. Both teams rattle the woodwork from distance in the second half before a route one long ball finally splits our defence with Bowery slotting in the only chance of the match. A late freekick sees Salmon head in at the far post to add some shine to the win as we come away with nothing.

Match Injury: Tyler Blackett – Out for two weeks with a bruised rib.

Tuesday 3rd August 2021 – English Capital One Cup (1st Round)

Stevenage (League 2) 1-0 Yeovil Town (League 1)

Goals: Reeves (48)

MOTM: Reeves (7.9)

Attendance: 523

Milestone: Bob Charlton – Debut for Stevenage

I rotate the squad for the cup match with Dobinson & Jones both getting a chance. Against a more standard formation our 451 looks much more threatening as we control the match. Jones wastes three clear chances to give us the lead in the first half but keeps his head to play Reeves through early in the second half. Further chances fall our way while Yeovil can only create one of their own which is blasted wide. Overall a really solid morale boosting win.

Match Injury: Haydn Jackson – Out for a month with a twisted knee.

Club News

The 2nd round of the Capital One Cup gets drawn and we are home to Stoke City (Championship)

Saturday 7th August 2021 – English League 2 (2/46)

Stevenage (22nd) 3-1 Wrexham (20th)

Goals: Smith (45), Bray (58), Francomb (90) ; Ogleby (12)

MOTM: Smith (7.6)

Attendance: 1,564

Milestone: Bob Charlton - 100th Career Appearance

Milestone: Colin Slattery - 50th Career Appearance

Milestone: Callum Smith - 1st Career Goal

We start poorly as our passing lets us down and this gives Wrexham control. Just as I think we've survived the early pressure Ogleby finds space to clinically slot in their first real chance. We work our way into the match as I tweak the tactics and equalise just before the break when Smith forces in a deep freekick at the second attempt. The second half is much better as we take the game to Wrexham and Bray's pace down the right sees him clear to give us the lead. Francomb comes off the bench to wrap up the win in injury time when his deep run is picked out slotting into the far corner.

Club News

The draw for the Johnstone's Paint Trophy (South 1st Round) isn't so kind as we are away to Charlton Athletic (League 1).

Saturday 14th August 2021 – English League 2 (3/46)

Walsall (13th) 1-0 Stevenage (9th)

Goals: Claypole (66)

MOTM: Claypole (7.2) (Walsall)

For much of the match we control possession and dictate the pace. For all the good play though our balls into the box are either lacking or its a sign of Walsall's solid defence as we struggle to get good shots on target. Playing on the break Walsall create a couple of good chances before the deadlock is broken when a long shot is deflected into the path of Claypole driving into the box from the right. The first goal proves to be the only goal as a good performance goes unrewarded as we come away with nothing.

Saturday 21st August 2021 – English League 2 (4/36)

Stevenage (16th) 1-1 Hartlepool Utd (1st)

Goals: Francomb (90) ; Barlow (68)

MOTM: Francomb (7.3)

Attendance: 1,520

Hartlepool have made a good start to the season and put us under pressure with their attacking formation early on. It leaves space at the back though which we exploit as both sides create a few half chances. For the second match running the opposition break the deadlock late in the game as Barlow curls in a freekick from just outside the box. It looks like we are going to slip to another defeat but a mishit cross from Francomb flies past the keeper in injury time to rescue a point.

Tuesday 24th August 2021 – English Capital One Cup (2nd Round)

Stevenage (League 2) 3-4aet Stoke City (Championship)

Goals: McGonigle (7), Reeves (41), Bray (48) ; Ibe (58), Christie (67), Fidersek (87), Narsingh (119)

MOTM: Reeves (8.3)

Attendance: 1,192

Milestone: Dean Finn - 100th Career Appearance

With nothing to lose several of the younger fringe players get a chance against an attacking Stoke team. A set piece opens the scoring when they fail to clear a corner with McGonigle the one to get his foot to the loose ball as we take a surprise lead. Stoke leave loads of space at the back that we exploit on the break and Reeves had already seen one chance saved when a second comes his way, their DR missing a header leaving him to chip the onrushing keeper. After the break McGonigle & Finn combine to free Bray and he drills in to give us a comfortable lead. Stoke finally wake up with Ibe leading the charge stabbing in one of several half chances before Christie adds a second to make it a nervous finish. Their quality finally tells as Fidersek slots in a late equaliser to send the match to extra time. Both teams go for it with chances missed on both sides but with the match looking like heading to penalties a diagonal ball finds Narsingh who breaks the supporters hearts and steals the win.

Player News

I pick up another ML to add some depth which will allow Reeves to move back infield:

Steven McKee (20yo Scottish AML) – Unattached

Started his career at Hearts (Scottish Premiership) but was quickly picked up by QPR (English Championship) for £96k. He failed to make an appearance for them but was solid last season on loan at Cheltenham (English League 2) before being released.

178StevenMcKee.png

Saturday 28th August 2021 – English League 2 (5/36)

Doncaster Rovers (24th) 2-1 Stevenage (17th)

Goals: McGeever (15), Hatfield (57) ; Francomb (27)

MOTM: Wordsworth (7.6) (Doncaster Rovers)

Milestone: Steven McKee – Debut for Stevenage

Doncaster put us under pressure early and take the lead when McGeever loses his marker to slot in the first chance of the match. We respond turning the defence around with Jones playing Francomb in to equalise. Doncaster settle for slowing the game down and keeping possession while we threaten with direct play when we get the ball. The deadlock is again broken when Hatfield finds a little room and this time there is no coming back as another even match slips away from us.

Tuesday 31st August 2021 – English Johnstone's Paint Trophy (South, 1st Round)

Charlton Athletic (League 1) 1-2 Stevenage (League 2)

Goals: Wilkin (50) ; Morrison (12), McGonigle (14)

MOTM: Morrison (7.7)

The Trophy is another opportunity for the fringe players who seem to be building a good understanding. Ogan is forced into two early saves to keep the scores level but we quickly work our way into the match exploiting the space down the wings. A corner sees Morrison give us the lead before its soon doubled when McGonigle heads in a cross from Bray. Chances after that are few and far between as Charlton dominate possession while we defend in numbers trying to break with pace. A diagonal ball sees Wilkin pull Charlton back into the match after the break but this time we hold on to book our place in the next round.

179LeagueTableAugust2021.png

England

Stevenage

September 2021

Club News

The South, 2nd Round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy is drawn and we have a home tie vs Northampton Town (League 1)

Player News

Our Irish DR, Colin Slattery gets a call-up to the Irish U21 squad for European U21 Championship Qualification matches against Romania U21s & Montenegro U21s.

Saturday 4th September 2021 – English League 2 (6/46)

Stevenage (20th) 2-0 Swindon Town (11th)

Goals: McGonigle (25), McKee (35)

MOTM: McKee (8.2)

Attendance: 1,580

Milestone: Anthony Stewart - 350th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Steven McKee - 1st Goal for Stevenage

Milestone: Jon Wood – Debut for Stevenage

Its been a tough month and pressure is already starting to build from the board but with injuries now cleared up and the squad gelling I'm hoping results will improve. Swindon have a few half chances early on as we are forced to defend but our pace down the wings turns the match around as we take control. A cross from McKee on the left sees McGonigle open the scoring as he flicks the ball past the keeper and its two when McKee gets on the end of a deep Bray cross. With a comfortable lead Swindon have the better of possession but we look the more dangerous with direct play down the wings as we see out a solid, much needed win.

Match Injury: Dean Finn – Out for 3/4 months with a torn hamstring.

Saturday 11th September 2021 – English League 2 (7/46)

Shrewsbury Town (4th) 0-0 Stevenage (13th)

Goals:

MOTM: Austin (7.3) (Shrewsbury Town)

Milestone: Colin Slattery - 50th League Appearance for Stevenage

I've been a little concerned about a lack of height in the centre of defence and so far missed the obvious, 6'4” Tyler Blackett at DL. He moves infield to have a go in the stopper role while Jackson slots back into the midfield for the injured Finn. The board want me to play direct and I do try but we end up just giving the ball away as Shrewsbury dominate the match. For all their possession and shots though they only create one early chance which Smith tips wide. On the break we also struggle but we do have one good chance just before halftime which McGonigle sees saved. On the one hand we are a little lucky to come away with a point but on the other a draw is a fair result with one good chance for each team.

Saturday 18th September 2021 – English League 2 (8/46)

Stevenage (14th) 1-0 Newport County (16th)

Goals: Jones (82)

MOTM: Reeves (8.1)

Attendance: 1,532

Milestone: Dale Smith - 50th Career Appearance

Just the one change as Jones starts up front as we face another team struggling for form. I look and get a positive start but it doesn't last as poor passing lets Newport take control of the match but they struggle to create more than a couple of half chances. We settle better in the second half and start testing their keeper while Smith is forced to a full stretch save to keep the scores level. We've created the better chances though and are finally rewarded when Jones breaks the offside trap before confidently placing wide of the keeper to seal the points.

Saturday 25th September 2021 – English League 2 (9/46)

Stevenage (13th) 2-2 Coventry City (12th)

Goals: Francomb (73), McGonigle (82) ; Healey (37, 43)

MOTM: Healey (8.7) (Coventry City)

Attendance: 1,762

Terrible is the word, we just gift the ball to Coventry time & time again. This means we are under pressure in defence and our luck finally runs out as Healey bags a brace just before the break. We improve in the second half after a bollocking at halftime while subs & tweaks to the tactics see us take the game to Coventry. Francomb slots in to get us back in the match before McGonigle pulls us level to rescue a point.

180LeagueTableSeptember2021.png

England

Stevenage

October 2021

Saturday 2nd October 2021 – English League 2 (10/46)

Preston North End (3rd) 1-1 Stevenage (17th)

Goals: Harvey (55) ; Francomb (11)

MOTM: Francomb (8.3)

We strike lucky early on when a half chance sees Preston rattle the woodwork but the match swings our way when a corner is half cleared to Francomb on the edge of the box, his shot flying into the top corner. Preston offer little coming forward as we have the better of possession but we just can't force a second from the few half chances we create. This costs us when Harvey heads in a left wing cross to pull Preston level and a nervy finish sees both sides seem happy to leave with a point.

Tuesday 5th October 2021 – English Johnstone's Paint Trophy (South, 2nd Round)

Stevenage (League 2) 1-0 Northampton Town (League 1)

Goals: Bray (38)

MOTM: Bray (7.4)

Attendance: 320

The Trophy means a rotated squad against a Northampton team which is suffering with injuries. We make a good positive start but our final ball lets us down which means its Northampton who test Ogan early on. Eventually though the chances come and its Jones who steps past his marker before placing wide of the keeper only to hit the post but Bray is on hand to fire in the rebound. The second half sees both Jones & Wood with good chances to extend the lead but the keeper claws both away. In the end it doesn't matter as we cruise to a solid win.

Player News

Colin Slattery is off on International duty again with Ireland U21s for friendlies against Australia U21s & Kuwait U21s.

Saturday 9th October 2021 – English League 2 (11/46)

Tranmere Rovers (11th) 4-4 Stevenage (16th)

Goals: Plant (6), Cross (21), Livingstone (47), Brown (90) ; McGonigle (61, 64, 79), Francomb (83)

MOTM: McGonigle (9.6)

I set out with the aim of taking the game to Tranmere but poor passing sees us on the defensive as two set pieces leave us with a hill to climb. A deep freekick sees Plant lose his marker at the far post before a corner to the near post meets the head of Cross. Another kick up the arse during the break does nothing as Livingstone makes it three overlapping on the right and that looks to be that. Subs and tweaking tactics works though as the team produce an epic comeback led by a hattrick from McGonigle before he provides the cross for Francomb to give us the lead. Injury time sees another kick in the teeth though when a throw is worked into the box for Brown to level it as both teams leave with a point.

Match Injury: Edouard Schoenecker – Out for about a month with a groin strain.

Training Injury: Callum Smith – Out for about 10 days with a bruised head.

Saturday 16th October 2021 – English League 2 (12/46)

Stevenage (16th) 1-1 Bristol City (20th)

Goals: McGonigle (9) ; Francis (56)

MOTM: Francis (7.3) (Bristol City)

Attendance: 1,577

I stick with the direct, attacking style that got us back into the match against Tranmere and it works as we have the lead when a cross is only half cleared to Jackson who plays it back in to McGonigle who smashes past the keeper. We control much of the first half as we put Bristol City on the backfoot but on the break they have the best chance as we get sliced open with Smith out quick to save well. Bristol City change formation in the second half and look the better team as Francis pulls them level when he finds a little space in the box. Both teams fight to the end but chances are few and far between as we extend our unbeaten run to nine matches with yet another draw.

Tuesday 19th October 2021 – English League 2 (13/46)

Stevenage (17th) 4-4 Port Vale (12th)

Goals: Jones (26, 34), Bray (49), Morrison (62) ; Lowton (21), Jivanda (pen 74, pen 88), Pitts (85)

MOTM: Jones (8.8)

Attendance: 1,534

Port Vale make the better start and we are behind when we again concede from a set piece. We hit our rhythm though building a comfortable 4-1 lead as I look for the win. A corner sees Dobinson give up a penalty and as complacency builds Pitts adds another. With time running out we throw away three points when Marriott clips a player just inside the box. To cap my frustration we also leave with two more injuries.

Match Injury: Tyler Blackett – Out for about two weeks with a bruised thigh.

Match Injury: George Francomb – Out for about three weeks with a gashed leg.

Training Injury: Callum Smith – Out for 5/6 weeks with a back strain.

Saturday 23rd October 2021 - English League 2 (14/46)

Bury (15th) 1-1 Stevenage (18th)

Goals: Morris (90) ; Bray (18)

MOTM: McInnes (8.1)

With a huge injury problem we just about have enough players for a team. Things look ominous when Smith is forced to save at point blank range within the first minute but its not a sign of things to come as both teams struggle to make use of possession. Our first real attack sees McInnes pick out the run of Bray and he confidently slots into the far corner to give us the lead. Bury respond as we ride our luck a little but a switch to a counter attacking style pays dividends as we take control of the match. No less than eight clear chances are missed though as we again throw away a win when a flick on falls for Morris in injury time. Its now nine games unbeaten in the league but only two of those are wins which sees the pressure on from above.

Club News

The FA Cup 1st Round sees us drawn away to Poole Town (Non-League)

Training Injury: Bob Charlton – Out for 6/7 weeks with a hernia.

Saturday 30th October 2021 - English League 2 (15/46)

Stevenage (18th) 1-0 Forest Green (22nd)

Goals: Wood (36)

MOTM: Jackson (7.2)

Attendance: 1,521

Milestone: Haydn Jackson - 100th Career Appearance

Milestone: Jon Wood - 1st Career Goal

Injuries have got that bad that two youth players make the bench as rumour has it a bad result will see me fired. We take the game to Forest Green with Bray seeing a good early chance saved while another is cleared off the line. For all our possession though we don't create a great deal but we do take the lead when a half cleared corner sees Bray lay the ball off to Wood on the edge of the box and he finds the net through the crowd. We switch to counter attacking in the second half as Forest Green come looking for an equaliser but despite both teams looking to play positively there is only one real chance which Smith pushes wide as we hold on to finally register a win.

Match Injury: Tommy Marriott – Out for about six days with a dead leg.

181LeagueTableOctober2021.png

England

Stevenage

November 2021

Friday 5th November 2021 – English FA Cup (1st Round)

Poole Town (Non-League) 1-0 Stevenage (League 2)

Goals: Hapgood (29)

MOTM: Hawkins (7.5) (Poole Town)

A couple of players back from injury and a little rotation for what should be an easy win. Poole Town pack the defence and when Jones sees an early chance saved the signs are there. For all the domination its Poole who grab the first goal when Wood loses the ball in midfield with the resulting cross finding Hapgood in the area. We pepper the goal in the second half but don't take our chances as we frustratingly crash out in the first round.

Tuesday 9th November 2021 – English Johnstone's Paint Trophy (South, Quarter Final)

Yeovil Town (League 1) 2-2 Pens 4-5 Stevenage (League 2)

Goals: Kelly (26), Cherrett (73) ; McKee (4), Francomb (10)

MOTM: Jones (7.7)

Two more return from injury while I rotate a little as we look to bounce back from the FA Cup disaster. We make a flying start as both McKee & Francomb show a clinical edge when the defence is sliced open but Yeovil respond when Kelly is picked out. Yeovil press on in the second half but struggle to create good chances until Cherrett fires in late on to send the match to penalties. It had been an even game and it was no surprise it was decided by a fine margin. With four penalties scored each Dobinson stepped up and saw the keeper get fingers to his before it crept inside the post, seconds later Ogan dived the same way, got fingers to Yeovil's 5th penalty and pushed it onto the post to send us into the next round.

Club News

The Johnstone's Paint Trophy South Semi Final is drawn and we are home to fellow League 2 side Coventry City.

Saturday 13th November 2021 – English League 2 (16/46)

Gillingham (23rd) 2-0 Stevenage (14th)

Goals: Taylor (58, 77)

MOTM: Taylor (8.8) (Gillingham)

We make a positive start but misses from McGonigle & Francomb cost us when Taylor slots in Gillingham's first clear chance in the second half. As we push for an equaliser the match ends in controversy when Dobinson is tackled in midfield and while he lies there Gillingham break forward to score a second before he is carried from the field.

Manager News

The board aren't exactly happy with our start and the Gillingham result gets me called into the boardroom to explain the defeat.

Saturday 20th November 2021 – English League 2 (17/46)

Stevenage (18th) 2-1 Accrington Stanley (3rd)

Goals: McGonigle (15), McInnes (87) ; Ogan (og 14)

MOTM: McInnes (7.3)

Attendance: 1,520

Milestone: Paul McInnes - 1st Career Goal

With the media applying pressure we need to win and both teams look to attack from the off. Accrington make the better job of it but our defence look comfortable until Blackett goes to clear a corner but only succeeds in hitting an Accrington player with the ball bouncing off Ogan before crossing the line. We are quickly level though when McGonigle finds the net from just outside the box with the first shot of the match. The rest of the match is one way traffic with Accrington only managing two nothing shots but it looks like more dropped points for us until a half cleared corner is returned to McInnes late on and he turns firing in to grab much needed points.

Match Injury: George Francomb – Out for about two weeks with a bruised thigh.

Tuesday 23rd November 2021 – English League 2 (18/46)

AFC Telford Utd (18th) 1-0 Stevenage (13th)

Goals: Smith (og 65)

MOTM: Dunphy (7.4) (AFC Telford Utd)

Seven points cover 3rd to 19th still which means its very close in league and I'm expecting a tight match. With the media pointing out that we've been conceding early goals in each half recently I switch to a more reserved starting tactic. It works as Telford are reduced to a couple of half chances from distance but in response we don't create much ourselves, Bray seeing the only clear chance tipped wide. Midway through the second half luck again goes against us when a Blackett clearance is charged down and the resulting shot hits the post before rebounding in off Smith. We push for an equaliser in the final stages but struggle to create a good chance as we slip to another defeat.

Saturday 27th November 2021 - English League 2 (19/46)

Stevenage (17th) 1-0 Burton Albion (8th)

Goals: Reeves (61)

MOTM: Reeves (8.3)

Attendance: 1,531

Burton surprise me by packing the midfield this leads to us giving the ball away a lot going forward but at the back we cope well limiting them to a couple of half chances from around the edge of the box. I switch in the second half as I look for the team to keep possession more and it works as we start to create chances. We take the lead through a freekick when Reeves curls it into the far corner while both Reeves & McGonigle have late chances to seal the points. In the end it doesn't matter as we hold on for a deserved win.

182LeagueTableNovember2021.png

England

Stevenage

December 2021

Tuesday 7th December 2021 – English Johnstone's Paint Trophy (South, Semi Final)

Stevenage (League 2) 0-1 Coventry City (League 2)

Goals: Westley (59)

MOTM: Westley (7.1) (Coventry City)

Attendance: 576

The squad finally has a clean bill of health but several are still lacking match fitness which means a mixed team takes to the field including the return of Dean Finn after a bad injury. Both teams struggle to make use of possession early on but eventually we start to create chances with Jones seeing a good chance blocked as the defender makes a last ditch tackle while Francomb has a shot tipped wide. As seems to be par for the course at the moment when we don't take our chances the opposition do when a flick on sees Westley muscle Morrison off the ball being slotting past Ogan. We push looking for the equaliser with Francomb again coming the closest seeing a shot saved but in the end its the same story, better team, more chances but we just don't convert them.

Training Injury: Alex Bray – Out for around two months with a sports hernia.

Saturday 11th December 2021 – English League 2 (20/46)

Barnet (18th) 3-0 Stevenage (14th)

Goals: Charlton (og 11), Julienne (58), Reeve (pen 90)

MOTM: Acton (7.9) (Barnet)

Away to our local rivals who are also struggling for form isn't what we need at the moment. With both sides failing to test the defence its no surprise when the opening goal is an OG with a cross deflecting in off Charlton. Barnet double their lead in the second half when Blackett misses a long ball and a pathetic performance is capped when Schoenecker gives away a controversial penalty in injury time.

Saturday 18th December 2021 – English League 2 (21/46)

York City (19th) 1-4 Stevenage (17th)

Goals: Martin (1) ; McGonigle (3, 5), Blackett (36), McInnes (83)

MOTM: McGonigle (9.0)

I make sweeping changes as I go back to a possession based tactic and pick the players who are performing which means several first teamers dropped. It looks to be a mistake when Martin is picked out and scores on 33 seconds but we quickly settle with McGonigle showing a clinical edge. First he directs in a Francomb cross before good passing sees him lose his marker before calmly slotting under the keeper. We finally score a set piece when a deep freekick finds Blackett at the far post and McInnes wraps up a confident win late on when Wood nods a cross back into his path.

Match Injury: Callum Smith – Out for about two weeks with a bruised rib.

Sunday 26th December 2021 – English League 2 (22/46)

Stevenage (13th) 0-3 Notts County (9th)

Goals: Brand (15), Redman (42), Finnie (75)

MOTM: Brand (8.2) (Notts County)

Attendance: 1,523

Milestone: Haydn Jackson - 100th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Steven McKee - 50th Career Appearance

Just a couple of changes from the York match, one forced, one not but after a decent start its Notts County that strike first when a good passing move sees Brand slot in the first real chance of the match. Just before halftime Redman heads in a left wing cross for two and the team falls apart. We are terrible in the second half and never look like getting back in the match as Finnie wraps up a frustrating defeat. We also finish with nine men as Finn gets carried off late on while Blackett sees red for a two footed tackle.

Tuesday 28th December 2021 – English League 2 (23/46)

Stevenage (13th) 1-1 Oxford Utd (21st)

Goals: Wood (43) ; Coupe (63)

MOTM: Thorpe (7.3) (Oxford Utd)

Attendance: 1,690

Just two days later I'm forced to rotate again as we look to bounce back from the Notts County match. Both teams struggle to make use of any possession they get but we edge the first half taking the lead just before the break when Wood finds run to drill in. Oxford fight back in the second half with a long diagonal ball finding Coupe who buries their only real chance of the game as both sides see an even match end in a draw.

183LeagueTableDecember2021.png

England

Stevenage

January 2022

Club News

The mid-season transfer window opens and there are a few discussions going on.

Experienced midfielder Ben Reeves is still unhappy about not getting a move away from the club and announced he was leaving on a free in the summer. In the meantime Exeter City (League 1) and Oxford Utd (League 2) are both showing interest which may mean he gets to go earlier.

Two other players in the squad are attracting interest - Bristol Rovers (Skrill Premier), Notts County (League 2) & Rotherham Utd (League 1) are all interested in Tyler Blackett (DLC) while Norwich City (Championship) have been sniffing round 21yo goalkeeper Luke Ogan.

Incoming wise a first team DL wouldn't go amiss and would mean Blackett could move infield on a regular basis while I would like a another quality striker although it may restrict the progression of Ray Jones.

Saturday 1st January 2022 – English League 2 (24/46)

Wrexham (24th) 2-1 Stevenage (14th)

Goals: Lee (28), Harriott (87) ; McGonigle (pen 40)

MOTM: Harriott (7.3) (Wrexham)

Milestone: Steven McKee - 50th Career League Appearance

Milestone: Adam Masters - 50th Appearance for Stevenage

We make a good start but fail to take our chances when Schoenecker sees a good chance saved in the first minute while McInnes has the ball in the net only to be ruled out for a marginal offside. It costs us when Lee buries a rebound from his original shot but we are level when Slattery is brought down during a corner. The second half sees us create several good chances with McInnes and McGonigle in particular combining well but our failure to again find the breakthrough sees us come away with nothing when Harriott drills in a loose ball three minutes from time. I can't fault what was a good performance we just need to score when we get the chances.

Monday 3rd January 2022 – English League 2 (25/46)

Stevenage (18th) 0-2 Dagenham & Redbridge (16th)

Goals: Kalou (38), Bowery (56)

MOTM: Salmon (8.1) (Dagenham & Redbridge)

Attendance: 1,606

Just a days rest again as the squad gets rotated. Against the three strikers we cope we cope well but going forward we just can't find the final decisive ball to create a good chance. Out of nothing Dagenham & Redbridge take the lead before the break when Kalou finds the net from a narrow angle. It gets worse in the second half when Bowery doubles the lead from a nothing half chance at best as we somehow again come away with nothing from an even game where neither side created anything of note.

Manager News

I once again get hauled into the boardroom and this time they set me a points target – 11 points from the next 5 matches. Given the form we are in it looks like my days are numbered but we'll see what happens.

Player News

The offers come in and Ben moves on. The fans aren't happy but neither was he and it affected his performances. We didn't get much for him but something is better than nothing:

Ben Reeves (30yo English MC/ML) – Sold to Oxford Utd (League 2) for £38k.

Time at club: 3 seasons, Appearances: 116, Goals: 22, Assists: 23.

Its one out & one in as a left back joins us on loan until the end of the season:

David Sheridan (20yo Scottish DL) – On loan from Bolton Wanderers (League 1)

Started his career at Queen's Park (Scottish League 2) before quickly being picked up by Raith Rovers (Scottish Premiership). Bolton paid £22k for him two years ago and he had a successful loan spell at Linfield (Northern Ireland Premiership) last year.

Saturday 8th January 2022 – English League 2 (26/46)

Stevenage (18th) 0-2 Walsall (8th)

Goals: Wardley (56, pen 66)

MOTM: Wardley (8.6) (Walsall)

Attendance: 1,517

Milestone: David Sheridan – Debut for Stevenage

We make a positive start but Walsall defend well which limits us to a few half chances while Slattery twice hits the woodwork from corners. Not taking our chances when on top again costs us when a good passing move sees Wardley slot in their first real chance of the match. Any chance we had of getting back into the game goes when Slattery gives away a penalty during a deep freekick.

Manager News

I feel like we've been unlucky but the board have ran out of patience and we've no chance of winning the next four matches so I feel its time for a fresh start.

Resigned 9th January 2022.

I'm not short of interview offers as my email is flooded:

Free State Stars (South African Premiership)

FC Hameenlinna (Finland First Division)

Club Atletico Atlanta (Argentine Second Division)

Reggiana (Italy Serie C1/B)

Welling Utd (England Skrill South)

Free State Stars (South African Premiership) are the first to offer me a contract and as one of the more reputable clubs to offer me an interview it seems a good offer as I pack my bags for South Africa.

Archived