Creating chances but no goals!?

Creating 20 chances is pretty much irrelevant, if all 20 are rubbish chances. You only need 1 good chance to win a game.

The game currently has too many shots, which is shown in a lot of the screen shots, which seems to give the impression that a tactic is working, where really, most are speculative wasteful shots that have not challenged the keeper.

So every time i see an striker escaping alone from the defender and shooting the ball straight to the gks body around 6 times but then an oppsing winger runs near my fullbacm who just stands there and gives a perfect assist to the striker who scores its just my tactics i guess..

Its a fact, strikers wont score 90% of the times unless they are given a perfect assist from the sides.. If they are assisted from deep and left one on one against the gk they almost never score...

So yeah, it is in some way my tactics, because if i dont set it so they are perectly assisted by wingers they wont score, the problem is, why force us to play like that? Wingers seem to be way more lethal than any striker will ever be right now in this ME

Finally, i DO belive this is a ME problem, and it should be balanced out, I just dont like when people just pull the "its your tactics" card, yeah, it sometimes is, but not because the tactic is wrong realistically, but because of ME problems that make that kind of tactic decition uneffective.

If the shooting is so poor, why is that my Man United team have a 26% conversion rate? 160 shots on target, 42 goals. And only conceded 14 in 19 overall - just 4 in 11 in the league, and currently haven't conceded a goal in the league in 6 consecutive matches (3 of those with 35 year-old Mickael Landreau standing in for De Gea).

Those goals aren't coming from corners, either - van Persie has 9 goals in 11 appearances (9 starts) and Danny Welbeck has 6 goals in 5 appearances (only 2 starts).

If the fullbacks are horribly bugged, why is it that even Buttner, who isn't exactly an amazing fullback, has an average of 7.08 and has the lowest rating of all my fullbacks?

Stretching the goalscoring out to the last 50 competitive matches, we have a total of 93 goals; 20 from corners, 47 from passes, 24 from crosses, 2 due to opposition errors. And 80 of those 93 were placed shots.

Incidentally, we play possession football, averaging around 60% possession over the last 10 games or so.

How would you feel about uploading your save? Or at least your tactics?

Looking at all the threads on here the people who are saying that their is a problem with the ME seem to be vastly in the majority, its obvious there is an issue and from what I've read the guys at SI are all over it like a rash. Of course the " it's your tactics " brigade will claim their is nothing wrong, but when SI admit they are working on a patch, kind of makes them look a bit stupid.

I agree with what you said about full-backs, I also keep a lot of clean sheets, and strikers do really improve as your tactical familiarity increases BUT, the ME also currently favours certain types of players over others disproportionately. Those who shoot with power (like Drogba or Podolksi in my game) get a LOT more goals from the same number of chances, and of course, strong quick strikers get more chances.

I don't think its far off, but I am a little bored of seeing my (admittedly not world class) Giroud miss endless sitters and then seeing my or opposition central defenders spank in 20 yard volleys on their wrong foot at set pieces!

I would suggest those that are really struggling stick with it though, as I have noticed a significant improvement since my team's tactical prep has improved...though my formation familiarity is still only competent (less than 1/2 the bar) entering march, having only played 1 match with a different one....

Giroud finished top scorer in my first season in my current game - 8 more than van Persie, the git. And van Persie is already becoming a shadow of his former self...

And I find the opposite; I'm finding it really, really hard to get Hernandez to get goals, because my style of play doesn't really favour a poacher like him, and I don't like wingers who go to the byline and fizz it across (too wasteful). I also find players with "places shots" more likely to score... so long as they have the requisite composure.

My entire tactical philosophy is about, counter-intuitively, reducing the number of chances to just those that result in goals - or, more accurately, to the point where only narrow misses or shots on target are the result of our play. If one of my players shoots too much, he gets taken off or given new instructions...

Obviously that's an impossible end result, but that's the aim. If my team got 30 shots in a match, I'd be livid - it'd mean they were ignoring my tactical instructions.

It's essentially my whole approach, though - minimalism. The fewest possible tackles, the fewest possible crosses, the fewest possible through balls. The only thing we have a lot of is passes... and even then, there's a semi-minimalist approach to that too, since when we're the stronger side and are playing well, it's a quick tempo style, not a slow one. (I slow things down if we're playing poorly or it's a close match, sometimes, unless they have easily frustrated, aggressive players.)

How would you feel about uploading your save? Or at least your tactics?

I could upload the tactics, but not sure how helpful that would be to anyone. I don't actually use them - they're just three baseline styles of play (quick attack, slow control, counter, and three slightly different formations) that I adapt game-to-game based on my opponents weaknesses. The idea is that that's how we train, but not necessarily how we play. It's set up essentially so that any style I'm likely to play only results in a reduction to "accomplished" in match prep fluidity, and that's usually just the formation.

I suppose I could also upload the save (albeit don't really want to... and not even sure why), but I'd need to edit my name out. :p

• 1 year later...

Archived