FM14: Carrying the hope of a Nation. Quest for World Cup Glory

soccer.joel

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

Hyundai A-League Regular Season 2018/19 Review

Table

So we won the league by 10 points. We scored by far the most goals and had the best defence. We didn't score anywhere near as many as last year though.

6wWai.png

Awards

Player of the Year: Mohcine Vieira (Western Sydney Wanderers)

Young Player of the Year: Mohcine Vieira (Western Sydney Wanderers)

Golden Boot: Diego Peralta (Melbourne Victory)

Goalkeeper of the Year: Charalabos Maziotis (Western Sydney Wanderers)

Goal of the Year: Mirko Gori (Newcastle Jets)

Manager of the Year: Joel Hochstetter (Western Sydney Wanderers) :)

And this is the All-Star XI.

6x0Mr.jpg

Stats

6x0UZ.jpg

We did well in individual stats.

Managerial Movements

Andrew Davidson got sacked by Sydney FC, Josep Gombau replace him. Wellington sacked Bobby Dragas and replaced him with Mike Mulvey.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

2018-19 A-League Finals Review

So the way the A-League Finals works is 3rd plays 6th and 4th plays 5th. Then the winners play 1st and 2nd in the semi finals. The winners of those contest the grand final.

In the elimination finals, the favourites won in both games:

6x1lY.jpg

This meant we face the Roar and Melbourne Victory play the Mariners.

The Mariners destroyed the Victory in ruthless fashion.

6x1vl.jpg

We were comfortable and controlling and won 2-0 in the end

68OGl.jpg

This means we faced the Mariners in the final like last year.

We were determined to lift it again and were very confident from start to finish. Dyego did well and earnt a new contract.

6x1Cs.jpg

6x1F0.jpg

6x1HQ.jpg

That ends another great season where we brought through more youth and continued to play good football. I will give another ACL update then a season review

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

2018 Asian Champions League Round of 16

We drew Ulsan from Korea

We did well and played positively in the first leg but unfortunately an own goal pegged us back

6x1Zw.jpg

We required an away win and were up to the challenge. Centurion scored a brace in his final game for the club for us to progress

6x292.jpg

I'm very happy with how we went. The ACL quarter final draw is in August and the games are in September. I am confident that we can go 1 better then last time

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

2018-19 End of Season Review

Squad - Table - Results - Transfers - Finances - Club Information

Final Position: 1st

Final Series: Winners

ACL: Finalists (last year)

Best Result: 8-1 away win to Urawa

Worst Result: 3-1 away loss to Adelaide United

Top Goalscorer: Adam Taggart, 25

Most Assists: Mohcine Vieira, 19

Highest Average Rating: James Chillico, 7.48

I wanted to retain the league and I achieved that. My ambition is to win the ACL this year

We are improving our youth facilities and training facilities. We got our junior coaching increased further

Player of the Season:

Mohcine Vieira- AML – The youngster was our best creator and one of our best scorers, he broke our record for most MOTM in a season.

Young Player of the Year:

Bradley Kleinhans- AMR / STC- Because Vieira was our best I thought I'd award it to someone else. The up and coming teenaged striker came in when needed and created 3 and assisted 4 from 3 starts and 8 games off the bench. He will be a Socceroo in the future.

Youth Team-

Kleinhans and Cartesan both worked their way into the first team. Thurtell and Wells stepped up when needed. We won the Youth League again.

57jMJ.jpg

2018-19 League Reviews

European Leagues

Of the active European leagues Celtic won the Scottish league for the 8th consecutive season. Juventus went 3 on the trot in Serie A. Bayern won back the Bundesliga after 2 seasons without winning it. Feyenoord won the Eredivese on goal difference. PSG won Ligue 1 for the 6th season in a row. Real Madrid won back the La Liga. Man U won the Premier League after 5 seasons without winning it.

Asian Leagues

Guangzhou won the Chinese League for the 7th time in 8 seasons and Suwon broke Jeonbuk's dominance to win the K-League

57jMJ.jpg

June 2019 Australia Friendlies

We had 2 tricky encounters in Chile and England

I tried to select the side I could see going to the next World Cup minus injuries

6x42i.jpg

Against Chile I played our usual fast-passing style. They played a similar way except using a 3-4-3. This will make it harder for us to play out

6x45w.jpg

Superior players saw them win but I thought we did we quite well. I think our attacking midfielders and forward need more time to gel

6x410.jpg

I decided to use a similar squad but the defensive tactic against England who are ranked 6th in the World. They have 3 very good attacking mids

6x44t.jpg

We defended well and forced them to mainly shooting from range but couldn't score on the counter. They punished our mistake to win 1-0

6x40d.jpg

I'm disappointed in our defeats the way forward is certainly with the more attacking 4-2-3-1 (aka 4-1-1-3-1) due to the players at our disposal and the added support it gives to our gifted attacking players. I know we can improve for future friendlies

57jMJ.jpg

Aussies on the Move

Jackson Irvine - Sheffield United to Al Ettifaq (1) 2.4M

Mutlu Ergun - Melbourne Heart to Karabukspor (2) 90K

Bailey Wright - Reading to Al Hilal (1) 2.3M

Johnny King - Blackpool to Sporting Gijon (2) 3.7M

Ivan Walmsley - Nice to Standard Liege (1) LOAN

Curtis Good - Furth to Anzhi Machalachala (1) 2.9M

Robbie Kruse – Vitoria Guimaraes to Genoa (1) 275K

Tom Rogic – Catania to Blackburn (2) 2.4M

Matt Ryan – Southampton to Besiktas (1) 4.4M

57jMJ.jpg

September 2019 World Cup Qualifiers

So qualification starts again. I am hoping for a successful qualifying campaign, by that I mean topping the group of both stages.

I mixed up the squad to add some youth and players I haven't seen in a while like Connor Pain and Hyuga Tanner.

6CkRg.jpg

Against the Saudi's I played a youthful core giving Perkatis his debut

6Fzf8.jpg

We were fantastic. Daniel De Silva pulled the strings and those around him operated well in our quick passing game. We also showed an effective possession game where instead of keeping the ball and looked to attack and make use of our possession

6Fziq.jpg

I rotated the squad to keep players fresh. Roy Edwards was used as a number 10 which is quite rare with Rogic and De Silva only capable of playing there.

6FzpP.jpg

We were dominant, Singapore struggled to keep the ball. Reddy was clinical but those in support did not take their chances as well for a 2-0 win

6FzFG.jpg

This was a good way to kick off World Cup Qualifying. Next month we play Wales and Syria

• 2 weeks later...

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

2019-20 Western Sydney Wanderers Season Preview

I'm am now up to my 4th pre-season. I aim to win the Champions League and of course the league again.

Last season we won the league and got to the Champions League Final.

Facilities

We completed an upgrade to our training and youth facilities. We also agreed a further upgrade. Our board announced they are going to negotiate to buy Parramatta Stadium.

Transfers

I let go our captain and most experienced player Erik Paartalu. Although he has been a fine servant, he is past his best and eats up a wage. I replaced him with a technically gifted young Peruvian, who should be brilliant at this level. I let go Centurion as he was a foreigner who had decreased due to injury woes, he had a fairly large wage and Vieira has been brilliant keeping him out of the team. I released young keeper Webster who doesn't make the cut. The sale of Cartesan wasn't for the largest price to Caligiari but it is a vital move for someone I see as a possible future Socceroo. This will allow me to focus on the development of Bradley Kleinhans and Graeme Mavromatis. Cartesan signed on with Nordjaeslland in the Danish (and Europa) League for this season as a regular, so hopefully he improves well. Although it doesn't say it I also released Trent Sainsbury which frees up some salary space and allows me to develop youth.

I will now go through each of our signings.

Nathan Graham(DR) - Defensively solid and good mentally. Hopefully I can improve his pace and attacking attributes so he can become a great right back.

Matt Jurman(DC) - A defensively solid player, who will bring experience in this young side

Donald Todorovski(AMR) - Potential to be a fringe Socceroo but is injury prone. His determination could drive him to succeed

Alex Cisak(GK) - Matzios' loan expired and I brought back an experienced Aussie. Not as good with his feet but has the ability to be very solid in goals

Claudio Rios (DM / MC) - Good first touch, passing and tackling should see him protect our defence well

Captain: James Chillico

Vice-Captain: Oliver Bozanic

Marquee Player: None

Australian Marquee: None

Tactics

My main tactic will be a 4-3-3. It is the same as since I joined the club. It has worked very well for me.

5wvQ3.jpg

My other tactic is a 4-2-3-1. I think I used it twice last season.

Pre-Season Results:

6Y967.jpg

We played 8 friendlies plus Champions League games. This allowed our squad to get fit and we performed well in all games

Media Prediction: 1st

Board Expectations: Winners

My Expectations: Win it and win the ACL.

57jMJ.jpg

October 2019 Friendlies

We face Wales and Syria, I picked a young team as usual. Left back Mutlu Ergun has a chance to debut.

6Zra0.jpg

Our line-up was very youthful compared to their strong lineup

6Zrdz.jpg

They were just too strong in the first half taking a 2-0 lead. Various substitions allowed us back into the game. McGowan solidified the defence while De Silva added some spark getting on the scoresheet. Ergun struggled on debut against Bale

6Zrl0.jpg

We mixed it up for the World Cup Qualifier bringing in more experience

6Zrpz.jpg

McGowan lead at the back our midfield worked efficiently so we won 3-1.

6ZrrZ.jpg

Although the Wales result was disappointing it shows our youth aren't quite ready to match it with the best. Next month we play Saudi Arabia and Singapore which could see us progress to the next qualifying round

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

Asian Champions League Quarter Finals and Semi Finals

We faced Suwon in the Quarter Finals of our Asian journey. We faced them in the Group stage and had 2 high scoring encounters which resulted in wins for us. I know we both have good attacks so this is destined to be a high scoring tie.

We put in the perfect attacking performance in the first leg. We pressed very well, keeping them to just 4 shots, 1 of which they scored. I feel a good start was key though as Vieira hit the net in fine style. Vieira was dominant for the whole game as was Cuca leading to a 4-1 1st leg win.

6ZrNM.jpg

In the second leg, Suwon struck early. Matthew Leckie tearing our defence to shreds. They continued to dominate but against the run of play we led 2-1 after 17 minutes. Leckie continued to pull the strings as their pacey attack punished our relatively high line going 4-2 up. Bozanic scored a consolation on the hour mark meaning they had to score 4 to go through. We hold on and after another rollercoaster game against Suwon now are into the semi-finals

6ZrWu.jpg

We faced Saudi Arabian club Al Ahli in the next round

We arrived full of confidence having scored a record amount of Champions League goals thus far including 7 in the last 2 games. They struck early which killed some of our confidence. Vieira and Taggart had been vital so far yet were shut down very effectively by a well organised Al Ahli. We tried to press hard as they effectively kept possession and built collectively from the back but committed too many fouls to be effective. The longer we went without a goal the longer it looked like we would lose. They punished us for one of our fouls to lead 2-0. I brought on 2 additional forwards but it wasn't enough as we couldn't break through and a mammoth second leg performance is required.

6Zs4U.jpg

And a terrific performance it was. I send them out to play with passion and without fear and they did. although they still dominated possession we pressed ultra-effectively and they couldn't handle the pace of our game. Our defence was a solid base but a great midfield performance sealed a terrific 5-1 win.

6ZsiZ.jpg

I'm over the moon to make the finals again but Guangzhou are still a huge challenge and should not be underestimated

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

Asian Champions League 2019 Final

The time has come for the final. We have done so well to get here breaking goalscoring records in the process. We have won 9, drawn 1 and lost 2, so far scoring 50 goals yet conceding 20. Against Guangzhou last season we had a 1-0 loss and a 5-3 win.

Both sides started with their preferred lineups and formations. Their key man is number 10 Zhang Chengdong

70Mcr.jpg

Our positive approach was rewarded. I was very pleased.

70MfQ.jpg

You can see the highlights here:

[video=youtube;LYG1FU4G9Pc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYG1FU4G9Pc

Our board were ecstatic and legend Ono was in disbelief.

Adam Taggart was brilliant breaking the record goals and taking out the major awards of MVP and Golden Boot

I am very proud, my young team deserved it. We played good attacking football and now have the challenge of the World Club Cup

Overall this is how the ACL went:

70Mv0.jpg

57jMJ.jpg

November 2019 Australia Matches

A similar squad to the last few times. I rewarded Nicholas Fitzgerald for his top form with another call-up

70MFi.jpg

We played a fairly standard line-up. Rogic got the nod as the no. 10

70MH8.jpg

They were dominant but we were determined and thanks to a set piece goal we ran home with 3 points

70MIM.jpg

Nothing to major for the second leg but Vieira and Fitzgerald came into the attacking midfield trident.

70MKX.jpg

We were fantastic Fitzgerald pulled the strings and lethal substitute Matthew Leckie came on on the right wing and scored a hat-trick

70MN5.jpg

We are comfortably top of the group and into the next stage with Syria still to play again

70MPl.png

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

2019 World Club Cup Review

After winning the ACL we get to play in this prestigious competition.

Taggart and Bermudez miss it due to injury so here is our squad

722WR.jpg

In the first round Oceanian Champions Auckland went down to ACL runners-up Guangzhou (who qualified because we won the A-League as well and Australia are hosts). Guangzhou were comfortable as expected

722dD.jpg

We had to face Guangzhou for the chance to play Real Madrid in a dream encounter.

I set up with the side that won the ACL final except for replacing the injured Taggart for Mavromatis. Taggart was a big miss as he was very inspiring in the ACL. They got a good start and our defence struggled. We committed too many fouls as our tired side crumbled. In the second half we came back into the game. I brought on Fitzgerald and Kleinhans for struggling Cuca and Mavromatis. Dyego scored a great equaliser and it was pretty even. But in the 90th minute a quick cut back saw an unmarked Wu Lei win it for them from the edge of the area to get their revenge, meaning I missed out on playing Real Madrid

722lq.jpg

The North American winners Monterrey defeated African champs Etoile du Sahel in a close encounter in the other quarter final

722AI.jpg

The semi finals went the expected ways with Boca and Madrid emphasizing their superiority

722EW.jpg

A played a young team featuring triallists in the 5th/6th play-off against the African champs. Vieira was magnificent on the left and we were 2-0 winners. This meant we got a few million.

722Hd.jpg

Monterrey were too dominant against Guanghzhou

722PS.jpg

And Real's star-studded 11 leaving the likes of Gundogan, Volland, Douglas Costa and a few top regens on the bench were first class against Boca

722Up.jpg

So it ends. I'm disappointed we didn't go further but it was a tough tournament

Green And Gold Elite

Most Capped Players

1. Mark Schwarzer - 100 caps - 1993 to 2014

2. Lucas Neill - 96 caps - 1996 to 2013

3. Brett Emerton - 95 caps - 1998 to 2012

4. Rhys Williams - 90 caps - 2009 to present

5. Tim Cahill - 89 caps - 2004 to 2017

6. Robbie Kruse - 88 caps - 2011 to present

7. Alex Tobin - 87 caps - 1998 to 1998

8. Phil Wade - 84 caps - 1986 to 1996

9. Tom Rogic - 84 caps - 2012 to present

10. Luke Wilkshere - 80 caps - 2004 to 2013

Most Goals

1. Adam Taggart- 44 (in 76 games) - 2012 to present

2. Tim Cahill - 35 (in 89 games) - 2004 to 2017

3. Tom Rogic - 31 (in 84 games)- 2012 to present

4. Damian Mori - 29 (in 45 games) - 1992 to 2002

5. Archie Thompson - 28 goals (in 54 games) - 2001 to 2013

Hall of Fame

-Tom Rogic - 2012 to present - AMC - Inducted 2019

-Daniel De Silva - 2013 to present - AMC - Inducted 2019

note: players in italics never played for me

note: players with 5 or more appearances in a years best XI are entered into the hall of fame

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

Wanderers First Half of Season 2019/20 Review

Results and Table

78yBR.jpg

As you know updates have been very infrequent so I am halfway through the season. At the end of my season I will make a special announcement. We started the season brilliantly with teenager Howard Hugo coming on to score a goal on debut. We continued well but a lack of depth due to player sales saw us falter a few times in November and December when games began more frequent. For the first time a major competitor has arose in the Mariners. Starred by Ivorian wonderkid Tano and experienced winger Mate Dugandzic they will push us to our potential this season. When form began to dip I started using a 4-2-3-1 a little bit as it seems some teams have figured out to play our 4-3-3. It also seems that the motivation of a number of the players has dryed up and we are less potent than we were. Still I think we can win the title even though we are behind now.

78yAb.png

Job Interviews

I had interviews at Chunam, Busan, Jeju, Go Ahead Eagles and Heidenham. Usually my demands were too great but when offered a job at one of those I turned down

Transfers

In the January transfer window we had a number of sales. Captain James Chillico left for 1.4M to Atromitos, this was a tough decision but it was one knowing that playing at a higher intensity would help him reach his potential for international purposes. Oliver Bozanic replaced him as captain. Serie A leaders Lazio signed Kleinhans off us for $2.7M. He still could have grown here but as he is very much a raw product for international purposes I feel he will develop better in Italy. I replaced him with international striker Eddie Reddy, who was going to go to Sydney FC before I intervened. I can promise him better facilities, teammates and the ability to play in the ACL. I spent 1.1M for him and I feel he can become better than Taggart in the future. I wanted to bring in some experience and someone who can play the system I will begin to utilize now I have 3 good strikers, (3-1-4-2), so I brought in Silva who is a good ball playing defender for this level. I released Jurman as well who was barely playing to create space under the salary cap.

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

March 2020 Australia Qualifier

I picked a similar young squad for the qualifier against Syria except for a goalkeeping crisis which saw me select 2 uncapped players as back-up to Langerak

78CtO.jpg

After thinking about the players at my disposal I trialled a new system for the first time. As we have 2 hardworking wingers who are ok defensively and 3 good playmakers with few good defensive midfielders I thought this shape suited us best. In game the attacking mids tracked back to create a 4-1-4-1 with Zoran Saris withdrawing deeper.

78CyV.jpg

The system saw some good use of possession and chance creation with Taggart being lethal up front. Overall I thought the tactic worked well and we ran out 3-1 winners

78CFf.jpg

so our first phase of qualifying is over and we won 6 from 6 only conceding 2 in the process

78CJt.png

This is who we face in the next phase

78CLQ.png

its the more difficult of the too groups but I know we are good enough to get through it and qualify for Qatar

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

Wanderers Second Half of Season 2019/20 Review

Results and Table

7ezoW.jpg

After a less than spectacular first half of the season where we were second to the Mariners, I wanted to push on and win my 4th consecutive A-League title. Push on we did we won all but 1 of our last 14 games, only losing to the Mariners at home which was after 10 consecutive league victories. The Mariners were too strong in that encounter but we had already gained a sufficient lead to take us to the title. We scored in every of the games and only scored once 3 times. In a number of the games I used a 3-1-4-2 due to having 3 good strikers it worked well. Vieira, Reddy and Fitzgerald were probably the best players in the run home. Reddy struggled at first but after hitting form he was unstoppable. In the end we won with a game spare and scored 67 goals (11 more than the next highest) and conceded only 22 (8 better than the next best). But we've done it, 4 in a row!

7ezJr.jpg

7ezKE.jpg

7ezLD.jpg

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

Hyundai A-League Regular Season 2019/20 Review

Table

So we won the league by 9 points. We scored by far the most goals and had the best defence.

7ezLD.jpg

Awards

Player of the Year: Mate Dugandzic (Central Coast Mariners)

Young Player of the Year: Peter Kenyon (Newcastle Jets)

Golden Boot: Mate Dugandzic (Central Coast Mariners)

Goalkeeper of the Year: Alex Cisak (Western Sydney Wanderers)

Goal of the Year: Bradley Kleinhans (Western Sydney Wanderers)

Manager of the Year: Joel Hochstetter (Western Sydney Wanderers) :)

And this is the All-Star XI.

7ezX2.jpg

Stats

7ezYa.jpg

Managerial Movements

No managers lost their jobs this year.

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

Western Sydney Wanderers 2020 ACL Group Stage Review

Last year we won the ACL. I doubt we can do it again.

We were drawn in a tough group with Urawa, Guangzhou and Seognam all teams that we've beaten in the past but still good sides nonetheless.

7eAnd.jpg

First up we faced Urawa who we beat 8-1 away when we were in top form last year. We lead 2-0 but they played very well and it ended in a 2-2 draw. Next we faced Guangzhou at home. Despite our domination they snuck in for a 1-0 win. Next at home to Seongnam it was our best performance yet but we were somehow we couldn't find the net until Ansell scored a header in the 53rd to equalise in a 1-1 draw. I knew at least 2 wins were required from our last 3 games so I went back to the formation that was so good for us last year in the 4-3-3. At home to Urawa we dominated but after throwing away a 1-0 lead, a late own goal saw us snatch an equaliser and dent our next round hopes, it ended 2-2. We played well but Seongnam were too clinical in a must win next encounter, going down 3-1 in an even game. We were wonderful in the last game and finally it all worked, Fitzgerald pulled the strings as a number 10 in a 4-2-3-1 as we won 4-2 away to Guangzhou.

But it was a case of not be clinical enough and too little too late seeing us eliminated bottom of the group despite good performances after last years wonder season.

7eAMp.png

While we underperformed, Melbourne Victory flew the Aussie flag high by topping Group H

57jMJ.jpg

March 2020 Australia Friendly

We faced Slovenia away in a friendly. I picked the similar young team but due to injuries I decided to call up former Wanderers strikers Kleinhans and Cartesan to the national team for the first time. I know they will be very good in the future and they are both raw products now but I think they deserve chances after Cartesan is scoring regularly in Denmark and Kleinhans is lighting up the Italian youth competition at Lazio.

7eARk.jpg

I continued to experiment with the 4-3-2-1. Cartesan got his first start

7eAW7.jpg

It was a tough match as our young team struggled for penetration. Cartesan struggled mostly but managed to score a nice finish. Kleinhans was ok when coming on. Slovenia punished our high line twice and ended up 2-1 winners. I'm not too disappointed as it allowed me to assess my tactic and different players who hadn't been in the fold recently.

7eAXM.jpg

Our next fixtures are World Cup Qualifiers in June

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

2019-20 A-League Finals Review

So the way the A-League Finals works is 3rd plays 6th and 4th plays 5th. Then the winners play 1st and 2nd in the semi finals. The winners of those contest the grand final.

In the elimination finals, the home teams won in 2 close encounters:

7eBcT.jpg

This meant we face the rivals Sydney and Melbourne Victory play the Mariners.

Melbourne Victory edged a tight encounter.

7eBeZ.jpg

We started very well Reddy scoring 2 in the first 15. We ended 6-0 winners over our rivals in our best ever A-League performance.

7eBBf.jpg

This means we faced the Victory in the final.

Our 4-2-3-1 saw some scintillating dominating football for another 4-0 win. Silva, Dyego and Rios (x2) were the scorers

7eBH5.jpg

7eBIl.jpg

7eBIR.jpg

That ends another great season in which we won the ACL and continued to produce youth

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

2019-20 End of Season Review

Squad - Table - Results - Transfers - Finances - Club Information

Final Position: 1st

Final Series: Winners

ACL: Winners(last year), Group Stage (this year)

Club World Cup: 5th

Best Result: 6-0 home win to Sydney FC

Worst Result: 3-1 away loss to Seognnam

Top Goalscorer: Adam Taggart, 14

Most Assists: Nicholas Fitzgerald, 13

Highest Average Rating: Roberto Bermudez, 7.50

I wanted to retain the league and I achieved that. I also won the ACL that I was really wanting to win.

We finished improving our youth facilities and training facilities and we have started improving them even further. This will finish in about September.

Player of the Season:

Nicholas Fitzgerald- M/AMC – The experienced attacking mid has been Mr Consistent and was again a strong creator and scorer

Young Player of the Year:

Mohcine Vieira- AML- Not as good as last year but Vieira had another great season. Assisting 11 goals and scoring 9 of his own.

Youth Team-

We comfortably won the youth league for the 4th season in a row. Wells, Wheeler, Thurtell and Hugo all got some good first team experience also showing the future is bright.

Our Socceroos

Taggart is still a Socceroos regular. Mavromatis and Reddy frequently also get called up. Vieira is now becoming a regular as Oar is being phased out, he is the future left winger. Ansell and Fitzgerald are occasional selections as their are more gifted players in their positions. Davidson was regular but is now being phased out to allow the next generation to come through. Bozanic is past his nation team days and Perkatis was used once but probably not again. Of the sold players this year Cartesan and Kleinhans are future Socceroos and Chillico is already a regular defender. Hopefully their overseas moves will see them develop more.

57jMJ.jpg

2019-20 League Reviews

European Leagues

Of the active European leagues Rangers won the Scottish league ending Celtics 8 year run. Juventus went 4 on the trot in Serie A. Wolfsburg edged the Bundesliga beating Bayern by 1 point. Twente won the Eredivese for the 2nd time in 3 seasons. Monaco ended PSG's 6 year run by winning Ligue 1 by 2 points. Real Madrid were 13 points clear of Barca to retain La Liga. Man U retained the Premier League.

Asian Leagues

Guangzhou won the Chinese League for the 8th time in 9 seasons and Jeonbuk won the K-League for the 4th time in 6 seasons

57jMJ.jpg

Aussies on the Move 2020

Bradley Kleinhans - Lazio to Luzern (1) LOAN

Adam Taggart - Wanderers to Hapoel Tel Aviv (1) $2.7M

Ettore Cartesan - Caligiari to Antalyasor (1) LOAN

Ivan Walmsley – Nice to Standard (1) $4.1M

Connor Pain – Guangzhou to Nottingham Forrest (2) $2.6M

• 2 weeks later...

57jMJ.jpg

International Staffing

I made some updates to my staffing to improve the standard of coaching for youth national teams.

Assistant manager Milan Blagojevic's contract was terminated as I feel my other assistant is a lot better

38 year old Spaniard Rafilla who was coaching at Granada youth was named under 23 coach for the Olympics and beyond. Ex-Brisbane Roar player Massimo Murdocca was named as assistant manager

Ex-Manchester United player and Incheon Reserve coach Park Ji Sung was named under 22 coach bringing a wealth of playing experience

Sydney Olympic manager Matthew Zappia was hired as the under-21 assistant manager

57jMJ.jpg

June World Cup Qualifiers

Injuries saw us select an understrength squad to play Korea, Kuwait and Iraq

7xi8l.jpg

Besides De Silva and Leckie it was a make shift midfield and attack against a strong South Korea side

7xidG.jpg

Matthew Leckie's class won us the game before the last World Cup he was back-up now hes a star cutting in and scoring. De Silva was also very good pulling the strings in a 2-1 win.

7xigd.jpg

We again experimented with our 4-3-2-1 against Kuwait. Wanderer Dennis Angelovski was handed his debut at right back. It also marks the return of Tommy Oar and Robbie Kruse both after lengthy hiatuses.

7xijn.jpg

Despite conceding early we bounced back and capatilized on our dominance. Tommy Oar was immense in the second half.

7xilK.jpg

The system worked well so I tried it again against slightly tougher opposition

7xiqB.jpg

Captain Ryan McGowan scored again to hand us the lead. Strikes from Eddie Reddy and De Silva sealed it either side of an Iraqi penalty

7xisj.jpg

this sees us win our first 3 world cup qualifiers at this stage

57jMJ.jpg

2020 Olympics

Our under-23 side coached by Rafilla went into the Olympics. We have some good young talent coming through. The overage players are Mitch Langerak, Massimo Luongo and Adam Taggart.

7zQBn.jpg

In the first game they played was a chaotic performance a classy Argentina side ran riot over the Olyroos defence winning 4-0

In the second game against Egypt our young talent performed, future superstar Roy Edwards grabbed a goal and an assist but we did well to win 2-0

The final group game against France the core of our midfield did very well keeping possession and we kept France to an even game. Unfortunately we could not break the deadlock and it ended 0-0 but we progressed to the next round as we finished 2nd in the group

We did alright against a pacey Japanese side in the second round but we didn't do ourselves justice conceding from a penalty at the death of extra time to lose 1-0

Overall I'm happy with the performance of our emerging talent in particular Roy Edwards, Zoran Sarris and Zak Piraino

57jMJ.jpg

September 2020 Australia Qualifier

For a World Cup Qualifier against Saudi Arabia I picked a mix between youth and experience. Zak Piraino and Nick Morley have a chance for their debuts. Piraino is young but playing regularly and is a hot young talent. Morley is an experiment to fill the hole at left back. Primarily a centre mid, I trained him as a left back and I feel happy with him there, I have doubts whether he is Socceroo quality though.

7zWdn.jpg

A pretty standard lineup except Morley handed his debut at left back and gave Babalj his first start in a while up front

7zWsp.jpg

This was an incredible performance where our young side played fast, fluid football and made our dominance known. I was over the moon with the result

7zWvX.jpg

Piraino did decent once coming on while Morley got a 9 match rating with 2 assists

We broke this qualifying record

7zWxF.jpg

This means we have won our first 4 games and are comfortably ahead of our group

Great thread mate! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, congrats on the save so far, especially the world cup results.

Just on improving the national team, I know some people may frown upon this or consider it an 'exploit', but have you considered buying youngish overseas players with good potential to play in the A-League and 'naturalising' them to become Aussies in 4 years time?

I did something similar in an old FM12 save of mine (played as Melbourne Victory + Aus manager) and had a Brazilian, French and Croatian player obtain citizenship and play for the green and gold. Naturally this only works well with players from strong nations with many world class players already like Spain, Argentina, Brazil etc, otherwise they will get capped by their home nation long before they reach Aussie citizenship...

Great thread mate! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it, congrats on the save so far, especially the world cup results.

Just on improving the national team, I know some people may frown upon this or consider it an 'exploit', but have you considered buying youngish overseas players with good potential to play in the A-League and 'naturalising' them to become Aussies in 4 years time?

I did something similar in an old FM12 save of mine (played as Melbourne Victory + Aus manager) and had a Brazilian, French and Croatian player obtain citizenship and play for the green and gold. Naturally this only works well with players from strong nations with many world class players already like Spain, Argentina, Brazil etc, otherwise they will get capped by their home nation long before they reach Aussie citizenship...

Thanks

I had thought about possibly it but I haven't looked thoroughly enough as I generally only sign foreign players with very good current ability or fit into a needed position and focus on developing already Aussie youth. I may consider taking your suggestion in the future though

This is a great story mate, signed up just to say this.

You've done some great work with Australia, every time I try I always manage to just plod along and scrape results where none of my players devolop.

Also great work with winning the ACL, it's pretty tough with a salary and foreign capped team.

This is a great story mate, signed up just to say this.

You've done some great work with Australia, every time I try I always manage to just plod along and scrape results where none of my players devolop.

Also great work with winning the ACL, it's pretty tough with a salary and foreign capped team.

thanks mate

57jMJ.jpg5jFkY.jpg

Pre-Season and Major Announcement

Transfers

I have made few changes to my successful team. I sold star striker to allow Mavromatis and Reddy to have more game time.

My one signing was Patrick Butters. A young goalkeeper with good potential

Matches

I have played all but 3 games and we did fairly well

7EoXq.jpg

Now is for an important announcement

7EoCe.jpg

So I've been here for 4 seasons and have won everything, developed players for the international team but this has also sucked a lot of time from spending with the international team so I have decided that now I have greatly improved the club it is time to say goodbye. I will now give a review for my time at the club.

Final Squad

Club Info (With training and youth facilities in the process of being improved further)

Affiliated Clubs

Overall Best XI

Club History (with my seasons in the red box)

Club Trophies (with my trophies in the red box)

57jMJ.jpg

October 2020 National Friendly

We announced a similar squad to the one which won 7-1 for 2 friendlies

7Erto.jpg

We started with a standard 4-2-3-1 against Japan

7ER1x.jpg

In an even game we made too many mistakes thus ending in a 2-1 loss

7ER4g.jpg

We mixed up the squad dropping underperforming players like Luke DeVere against Turkey

7ERaY.jpg

They dominated possession but we showed steely resolve to keep in the game. We counter attacked well and got the win thanks to a Mavromatis goal

7ERcF.jpg

We have a World Cup Qualifier and 2 friendlies next month before the AFF Championship

57jMJ.jpg

New Club Role

I was honoured to receive my highest reputation job interview yet

7ERrQ.jpg

It went well but I was doubtful whether I should accept the offer but by the time the contract came around with them agreeing to my philosophies...

7ERxn.jpg

I couldn't resist and thus was named as the new AC Milan manager

7ERBf.jpg

They have been underperforming early on and over the past few years as Juventus have dominated but I'm sure I can lead them to glory, I even think I can win the league this year and bring them back to the top of Italian football, furthering my management career.

But while this is a good opportunity I will try my best to use the club to grow Australian talent. With the clubs high youth recruitment it is quite likely Australians will come through the youth academy. I have signed Mohcine Vieira to arrive in January so will continue to nurture one of the nations hottest talents. I also have the resources to sign Australia's best talents if I feel their development is limited where they are. I will also be able to boost my reputation which can only help inspire the national players.

I do also understand that this is still not the best way to nurture international talent due to limit on non-Europeans you can sign per season, etc, so can't see myself staying here for more than 2-4 seasons and will return to the A-League after my stint here

57jMJ.jpg

November 2020 Matches

I am scheduled to play Uruguay, South Korea and New Zealand before the AFF Championship later this month.

I picked a youthful, mostly Australian and Asian based squad

7LevZ.jpg

Korea was first in a World Cup Qualifier. I played our typical system

7LeBV.jpg

In an even game we were the most clinical and thanks to goals from Taggart and Vieira we won 2-0.

7LeDA.jpg

This means we are 5 wins from 5 and are comfortably top of the group.

7LeGq.png

Against a strong attacking side in Uruguay I decided for a cautious tactical outlook and lineup

7LeKo.jpg

The system didn't work as Uruguay were comfortable winners.

7LeL2.jpg

I rotated meaning I had a more experienced lineup against New Zealand.

7LeMi.jpg

We started well and even though we dominated, failed to keep up our early intensity, resulting in only a narrow win over our neighbours.

7LeNl.jpg

We now play in the AFF Championship which should be a useless competition

57jMJ.jpg

2020 AFF Championship Group Stage

The squad was the same as for the friendlies.

We did well most group stage games creating lots of chances but were too wasteful. We still won every game conceding just 2 goals.

7MrLa.jpg

This means we are comfortable group toppers and face Malaysia in the next round

7MrOP.png

Archived