The Art of attacking space....hopefully a good discussion to help us learn

I have gone back to reading the excellent http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/205338-The-Tactics-of-Attacking-Creating-Space from sfraser.

One thing I am guilty of is clicking furiously to get to the next match. Many times I find that I end up losing that match because I did not even glance at my opponent's possible formation or past playing style.

So I guess I would like to start this thread by saying I think it would be a great place to hold for people to post how they attack certain formations, whether it be LLM or Premier League, I think it would be a beneficial discussion now that the tactics within the game has been overhauled.

For example ... my next match my opponent is projected to be playing a basic 4-4-2.

I myself line up in a 4-3-3 (DM) normally using my 2 wingers as IF.

If I were to attack a 4-4-2 and "look for space to exploit" my first thought would be in the middle since I would outnumber them 3-2 (if I push up my DM).

I would like to keep my same shape but find holes to exploit.

Does a thread like this even make sense to try?

If so ...how would you attack 4-4-2?

Be careful with the traditional 442. You REALLY need to use your heatmap to understand how the opposition team are using their formation. If they are playing a 442, then most people would play wide and exploit the middle, however if they are playing a defensive and narrow setup, then there will be no space and you might be better off not exploting the middle or the width.

Also, against an attacking 442 I stopped using a high closing down setting as there is so much space between their players. You end up just chasing the ball around.

Against a longabll 442 then close down their back players, against a possession style formation then MM their two MC's. If you're playing three in the middle, then consider using your MCc to drop deeper to cover their deep FC (if tehy have one) or push him forwards to exploit space between the yours and their MC's.

Look for wingers cutting inside, when this happens then look for attacking wingbacks. This can then be a good counter attacking option (explot one flank/clear to flanks etc).

If you play with a DM, then check the amount of space and time he has, if their FC is not closing him down then consider using a playmaker there as he will have time to dictate play. If the position is closed down quick then move the playmaker elsewhere and use the position to recycle the ball.

If you have attacking AML/R try and establish how they are being marked. If they are being man marked then you can considering dropping them deeper and having them attack space from that deep position (in old money - low mentality with high FWR).

That help?

Sometimes I just use the regular shouts I am using. Sometimes I change to play wider, exploit middle. (And possibly play more direct to get the ball to the AMC area faster as that's the 442s space to exploit.)

llama that was a fabulous explanation ... I love this stuff haha.

See I don't think many people think like that heading into a match, hence why they get frustrated and blame the ME.

In my match I had set my W-A and tried exploiting the flanks and playing narrow .. my LW was getting killed doing nothing.

I changed him to support duty and bang ...created a ccc which led to a goal. Thanks to your explanation above I can now see why .....

I didn't know PTW released a guide like that ... I will check for it.

Next up for me is a 4-5-1..... I checked their last match and they played a 4-4-2 ...but noticed it was a home match. I check their away matches and sure enough ..at home they play a 4-4-2 and on the road a 4-5-1 ..looking at their heat map I see their 3 CM's sit rather deep and their lone striker is up high ....So I am going to play narrow ....exploit the flanks...Change one of my MC to A duty since I know they sit deep ....will report back how it went

Sure enough ... We won 1-0 on a penalty. We shut them down completely.

This is our first season in the Championship after being promoted from League 1 (took me 2 seasons)

Going in we (Preston) were the underdogs at home:

25ur2j9.jpg

Huddersfield is second WORST in scoring goals (33) but they are second BEST in the league in conceding after 35 matches (only conceded 30)

So I knew it would be a drag em out fight since from checking their past formations away they play a 4-5-1 with 3 CM's sitting back.

Here were the starting formations:

2441dte.jpg

I play a standard-balanced formation. It has given me the best results so far so I chose to stick with it.

I decided to then use the shouts:

direct passing

run at defense

exploit flanks

Play narrower

My 2 CM's were a AP-A and a BBM and my DM was a Regista since I knew they would sit back.

Here is their heat map:

fa7lsp.jpg

Just as we expected since I checked their previous away matches to see what they played.

Here is mine (Preston)

4j8c2s.jpg

We basically sucked the life out of the game (we already knew they did not score many goals)

We scored on a penalty and it was all we needed.

At the 70th minute mark they went to their home formation of 4-4-2 and started attacking.

Had I been in my click click mode and not paying much attention I would not have noticed they started bombarding us.

I calmly switched my CM-s to a CM-S and a CM-D and my DM to a DM-D to plug the holes.

It worked. We won 1-0.

I strangled the game.

zjjhv7.jpg

Would you have done anything different to attack a 4-5-1 sitting with 3 CMs deep?

Archived