playing against a 352

Hi everyone,

I know I'm probably not providing you with enough details, but I'm at work & I have to write this down before I forget. I'll add more details later if needed. But any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've always struggled against teams playing a 352 flat (with the 5 midfielders on 1 line)

I've tried various formations/shouts/general tactics, but somehow I can't seem to break this down..

Typically I play a 451 (or 433, depends on how you look at it :) ), with one playmaker in front of defense and 2 wingers

Depending on the opposition, I play counter or controlling football. Usually it leaves me in control of the posession & dominating most of the play.

Somehow though, it never seems to work on a 352 (whereas i would expect my wingers to have more room because there aren't any fullbacks covering them.. Somehow they don't exploit that extra space)

Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated, thanks.

it never seems to work on a 352 (whereas i would expect my wingers to have more room because there aren't any fullbacks covering them.. Somehow they don't exploit that extra space)

A lot of people make this mistake and don't realise that the space only exists when your wide player loses his marker. The MR/ML in the 352 is actually better equipped for sticking to your own ML/MR/AML/AMR as its easier to pick them up by dropping back and actually giving you less space on the wings because the back 3 then becomes a back 5. Where as with fullbacks they have to step up to get tight to your wide players so automatically give space away just by simply pushing up.

The way to beat them down the channels is to double up on the MR/ML and get your fullbacks to support your wide players. This way its impossible for them to mark 2 players at once and if you've set up correctly you'll always have a free man spare down the wings. Plus at the same time they'll be too busy doing defensive duties so shouldn't be able to hurt you much from the wide areas :)

my take against 352, i rather face 352 without WB than 352 with WB. reason is simple I hv more space between the opposition WM and the Def.

my formation is 451, I use 2 IF on AML and AMR position as you can imagine the position is between WM and Def. And i use a BWM and DM or Anchorman to broke the opposition midfield, hoping my fullback could hold their WM

shout I use

pass to space, to exploit space between the WM and Def

exploit flanks

get the ball forward to counter the opp pressing game if they press hi up

I would avoid using retain possession, play out def, pass to feet reason is simple;

I would expect a team with 352 win the midfield, they press hi, they will win the ball in midfield, they will overwhelm my midfield

therefore I hv to pass the ball quickly to the IF, no point to win battle on the midfield cos it already "lost".

bottom line is Against 352 I really-really dont want to play the ball on my defence and my Midfield

the role of my center midfield player are to do damage physically to their center midfield I use BWM(s) and DM(d) both I set the tackling to Hard . BWM support to win the ball hi up, DM defend to cover the BWM and help the FB. and i use AF(a) for more creative player

I play standart/control

work well for me, beat 352 Juventus several times, i play Roma

Archived