Tyvcoon takeover - what does it really mean?

Morning all,

I am currently playing as Tranmere Rovers, got promoted in season 1 after winning the league. I got to the summer and the board suspended all transfer activity due to a pending takeover. I then got a message saying that a 'Tycoon businessman' had bought the club and was going to heavily invest in the clubs future.

However, despite 1.4m being put into the club, my season aim was still to avoid relegation, my budget is still £0 and the max wage I can offer is still 4.5k p/w - hardly excessive for the Championship, I have requested youth/training facilities upgrades and both have been turned down due to a lack of funds...they won't even relay the pitch!!

Question is, what exactly does a tycoon takeover do? Don't get me wrong I didn't want 30m to spend and to just walk the league, that would remove some of the realism, however, I am having to scrape round trying to sign players on low wages for no transfer fees and I have rubbish facilities!

Also, James Wallace/fon Williams and Akpa-Akpro (my 3 best players) are all due out of contract in 1 years time and want an increase in wages yet the board wont allow me to increase enough to make them stay!

I think there are 3 different types of tycoons. I can't remmeber all the names, but one basically just writes off any debts, one throws millions at the club, and another one does something else.

Perhaps your new chairman is just the type who stops the club getting into trouble, rather than actually giving much money?

As Herbert Fandel said there are three types of tycoon.

# "Sugar Daddy Type":

# FRONT_END - They throw money at the club to spend.

# BACK_END - They spend enough to make them a force in their current league but if they go up a level or two it would no longer apply.

# UNDERWRITER - They don't give the manager any extra transfer budget but come the end of the season they will always cover any loss the club is making and not expect the money back.

That was taken from a thread for FM11 as far as I know that's how it works now but I'm not sure you can tell what sort of tycoon you have until you've played for a few months. Obviously a Man City one will instantly give you a load of cash, well that's what happened to me anyway.

Ah maybe I need to wait a few months and see what he does. So far he has done nothing and shown no intentions of boosting my kitty. Maybe see what he does before the next window, that's a long as he doesn't sack me before then!

Archived