Playing without strikers?

My team is Dortmund of Germany and I dont have any good strikers. I would like to find a formation without strikers. Has anyone has any success with this? What makes it work and what can mess it up?

It can work. There are numerous strikerless formations, the most common is a 460 (or some kind of variant). Strengths with strikerless formations, obviously lie in the ability to control the midfield and thus possession. However it can be passive and not create many chances if it lacks direction. On the other hand it can create lots of problems for the opposition CBs as they can struggle with having no-one to mark meaning any lapses in concentration or poor positional play can be punished by more mobile AMs and Wingers.

My team is Dortmund of Germany and I dont have any good strikers. I would like to find a formation without strikers. Has anyone has any success with this? What makes it work and what can mess it up?

You still need strikers - as in players whose primary talent is scoring - they just don't play in the ST position.

Its biggest strength is defensively, since players placed in the attacking midfield line drop back deeper and press harder than strikers you force the opposition to go through your entire team to score. I don't view packing the midfield as necessarily a possession strategy, more of keeping the opposition out of dangerous areas strategy. Because you play no strikers to press their center backs they'll always have an outlet and so you don't necessarily win possession, you just keep them away from goal. My opinion on what can mess it up is overcrowding. Since you've withdrawn your frontline to the AM strata, you're best off also withdrawing your midfield to the DM strata, to leave them with space to go to work.

An example of what works for my team:

3-4-3 with Goalkeeper defend, 3x Central Defender defend, 2x Wingback support, 2x Defensive Midfielder support, 1x Advanced Playmaker support (in AMC), and either 2x Inside Forward attack (at AML/R) or 2x Attacking Midfielder attack (at AMCL/R) depending on personnel. Press more and zonal marking, typically starting with a control strategy.

I play a strikerless 4123 and I must say the play is exquisite, there is so much space to be exploited by the front 3 and the runs they make just creates havoc in the opposition half. I am not a possession freak, but some times it does see a lot of the ball and none of it at times!!

I change the roles depending on who I am playing against and what I am trying to achieve, but essentially lines up as:

--------------GK

FB(A)---DC©----DC(D)-----FB (S or D)

--------------DM (D)

--------DLP (D)-------AP(A)-----------

W(S) IF(A or S)-------DW(A)

--------------------------------------

Archived