Has anyone ever tried this tactical experiment long term?

Whilst playing around with tactics I hit on an idea. Basically I picked a formation, 4-4-1-1, then picked the starting 11. I placed all Team Instructions at the middle and then proceeded to set up individual player instructions and linked each stat in the dropdown menu on the tactics screen to the relevant number of clicks on that players slider.

By that I mean if you go to passing on the menu it will give you each players stat for passing 1-20. If my centre backs passing is 6, I will make his passing 6 clicks on the slider. Creative Freedom may be 8 so I then again set accordingly with clicks on the slider until every option, passing, CF, Closing down, mentality etc all end up replicating that players stat to the number of clicks on the slider. For player instructions like RFD, Through Balls, HUB, Roam from position etc which don't have a 1-20 clicks option I used common sense and applied as per his stat. Like say 1-7 I will put RFD on rare, 7-15 - mixed and 15-20 - Often. Something along those lines.

I have to admit I thought my Assistant was going to go mad telling me I had big gaps between the defence and midfield or midfield and strikers or my centre back with a mentality stat of 14 was going to be too far up the pitch but I was pleasantly surprised. My experiment was only one game. A last match of the season between my West Ham team who lie 13th and 2nd placed Spurs at White Harte Lane where they had only lost once all season. In my previous two games with them in the League and Cup I had been comprehensively beaten with Bale and Adebayor running riot. However, I went a goal up with a typical Andy Carrol goal, getting on the end of a rare decent cross from Matt Jarvis. Even though I conceded possession and shot count to them I was well in the game, until Mark Noble was sent off for a tackle. I went 4-4-1 and then conceded a goal with Bale running from left midfield and dribbling through all my players before scoring but I put that down as much to this magic dribbling in the new patch than anything else. I thought the flood gates would open but no, and I had chances even with 10 men to win the game finishing with a very respectable draw away at one of the top sides.

I then thought how interesting it would be to play a season this way although I know that each new player you bring into the framework you would have to tinker with the sliders. I then realised also that players stats can change, either increasing or decreasing so I came to the assumption that you would have to again check each week and maybe change the sliders accordingly to implement a stat rise or fall which would be a painstaking process.

So I thought I would just ask if anyone has actually tried this long term on any FM and what conclusions they made?

All I can see is "click"..."click"..."click". That´s why SI made the TC so we don´t have to adjust sliders manually thus given us more time to play the game. Definitely I don´t want to go back to those days. Sorry mate!

That's fine everyone has an opinion, I was just asking if anyone had ever tried it. The TC is fine for those who like it, just for me it's using a click, click, click of someone else's ideas.

I did pretty much exactly what you've explained on FM 11 and FM12, with great success. Seems to work with any team. Actually posted a thread about it once, but it was laughed off like usual. Haven't tried it on 13 yet as been playing FM Classic.

But then wouldn't that mean that if a player had 20 for passing, you would indeed be playing a very direct style of play if you apply your method, where as if they are rubbish passers you are going to be telling them to play a short possession game? Perhaps invert the sliders for this method.

And how would you work out closing down and forward runs using this method?

Archived