The importance of time wasting

As a bit of background, I have been playing as Wigan, with some mixed success, using a combination of 4-4-1-1 and 4-2-3-1 tactics depending upon the situation. Given that Wigan have a lot of players who are good at passing, I have been trying to play a medium tempo passing game, with use of my wingers to be the major creators of my chances (this is a necessity at Wigan as I realised too late that they completely lack a midfielder with good tackling and bravery, so it is almost impossible to dominate a midfield). As I said, mixed success with this, as I would expect with Wigan.

The thing I had noticed was that, when playing the ball out from the back, my full backs (and occasionally centre backs) would dither and dally on the ball, for what seemed like no apparent reason. I tried the obvious things to fix this (changing player roles to offer more support and passes for them, changing their pass length, general tempo) to make them more willing to pick a quick pass. As I had noticed that the AI, in general, is not afflicted by this, I realised it has to be something in my tactics that is going wrong here. Running out of ideas, I changed the time wasting slider to 0, so that they should never waste time. To my surprise this fixed my problem - my defenders now get rid of the ball a lot quicker and so do not get closed down and panic/pass backward nearly as much. It has also lead to a much smoother overall passing game, with much less holding onto the ball for unnecessarily long times

I wondered if anyone had come across this before, and if there is a rational for this. Also, if anyone has overcome this problem in a different way.

If it's working for you then great, but it sounds an awful lot like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

You've essentially told your whole team to keep moving, running, passing, closing down etc etc the whole game....... I hope they got some stamina.

FB's making silly passes is normally down to poor options, as you suggested, perhaps you might be better posting more detail on what you did that didn't work.

I do have this problem, but not as often as you seem to indicate.

I noticed this with my holding mid-fielders who ended up coughing possesion to the opposition and a lot of times on the counter the inevitable goal would come, I lowered time-wasting slightly and it remedied the problem.

I agree with Lam in this case but time wasting is often overlooked as part of your tactical arsenal.

For example, higher time wasting tends to mean your chaps will fall over like fairies at the first sign of contact, this can be both useful and hindrance but it's still a ploy you can use to get the best of a ref when a 'worse' team are trying to disrupt you by smashing seven bells out of your boys. Similarly, if you want to go toe to toe with an aggressive team then set it higher.

SFraser wrote about this but I can't find the thread, it was probably a section in a larger post rather than its own thing but he made the above point in far more detail if you stumble across the post.

I remember facing a similar situation in last year's fm . The time wasting slider is probably not the best solution . A fullback's decision to pass forward can be affected by his pasing length , mentality , tempo , time wasting (these for the player himself) .For the rest of the team , his teammates must be ready to receive the pass and not charge forward at every chance . This is the reason i usually turn off "roam for position" in wingers : especially in amr-l coupled with sometimes-often forward runs it results them trying to find space in the center , close to the st . Your FB then has only the middle option and if the players there are tightly marked , he panicks and kicks the ball aimlessly forward

I definitely agree that this lacks, well, finess. I obviously had struggled to hit on the correct course of action to take regarding the specific instructions to my full backs and to a lesser extent midfielders. There are so many things to consider, and nothing is independent so it can be terribly confusing! Turning off roaming for wingers I am not sure if I tried, because I didn't know by default they did so! I am really relishing the challenge of the new ME and the way I am really having to think about what I do to get results. Much fun.

Archived