Creating a Flat 442 and Deep 4231 for Manchester United. (Assistance Requested)

As usual, every year I like to create my own tactics on fm just to reassure myself that no I can't actually do it and should probably continue just downloading tactics- but hey, there is no harm in trying. This year I have realised that simplicity is everything and in fact you don't need to overcomplicate things to replicate the football that you wish to play.

Typically, I am managing the mighty united (Of Manchester, as its the only united worth talking about obviously )

I think I am going to play with 2 approaches, but with the same basic concepts, attacking possession. However, I intend to do this in a Flat 442, not necessarily for home games, but just for easier games and when I feel like it, and also a deep 4231 ( with wide wingers) for when I really want to bog down the midfield against those top teams in Europe and let RVP run loose against the opposition back line.

Team instructions for BOTH formations:

Fluid

Control

Short Passing

More Expressive Creative Freedom

More Pressing

Zonal Marking

Default Roaming

Default Tackling

Default Crossing

If I am right this should provide my team with a slow and patient possession approach, probing at the opposition defence and yet giving them enough freedom and fluidity to suddenly exploit a gap and slot through a winger/striker. In defence the team will quickly retain possession and then settle back into a steady passing rhythm.

Roles and Duties (Flat 442):

(Don't necessarily take notice of the players in each position, im just finding a balance for the tactic and suggesting what player I might play in that position)

Rafael- Full back (Support)

Evra- Full back (Support)

Ferdinand- Ball playing defender (Defend)

Vidic- Centre Defender (Defend)

Carrick/ Nainggolan- Ball Winning Midfielder (Defend)

Gotze/ Kagawa- Advanced Playmaker (Support)

Nani - Winger (Attack)

Young Winger (Attack)

Rooney- Deep lying forward (Support)

Robin Van Persie - Poacher or Advanced forward?? (Attack)

Roles and Duties (4231 deep with wide wingers):

Rafael- Full back (Support)

Evra- Full back (Support)

Ferdinand- Ball playing defender (Defend)

Vidic- Centre Defender (Defend)

Carrick- Deep lying Playmaker (Support)

Fletcher - Defensive Midfielder (Defend)

Gotze- Inside forward or Advanced playmaker??? (Attack)

Nani - Inside forward or Advanced playmaker??? (Attack)

Rooney- Advanced Playmaker (Support)

RVP - Poacher or Advanced Forward??? (Attack)

I think I have quite a good concept here, there are a few things I am not too sure about. Could you please answer the questions as to what roles and duties i should use for some players- I have left question marks next to the positions I am not sure about. Then, could you check/ consider that my actual Formation and roles and duties are balanced.

Thanks, for the help. I feel I am getting closer to making my own tactics with the creator.

Key points:

1: It is best to have different movement strategies on each wing. Hence, encouraging overlaps on one by having an FB or WB on Attack duty and a winger/wide midfielder etc on Support.

2: Very reticent in playing an AF or Poacher as a lone forward. You might get away with it with Van Persie because of his PPMs (Rooney too), but the other forwards in the squad will get isolated. Far better to use a DLF/S, CF/S or TQ/A, as they will all link play.

Thanks for the quick reply man!

Interesting you say that actually, when I initially tried my 4231 I was getting away with RVP using both those roles, as he naturally came back to get involved with play behind him, but he didn't really do much going forward, in terms of actually getting on the shoulder of the last defender. This is why I was more inclined to use a poacher- but then I see that a poacher wouldn't get involved with the play behind him at all. So I think I will try your suggestions as they make more sense.

What do you think about my striker roles in the flat 442? I like the idea of having an out and out poacher but I also want RVP not to act brainless and actually look to slot in Rooney running from deep if he does make that run. Don't like seeing my poacher try and run the pitch Michael Owen style.

Neither Rooney nor Van Persie will perform effectively as a Poacher because of their PPMs. I'd probably use RVP as a Complete Forward/Attack in the 4-4-2, and switch to a Poacher for Hernandez or AF for Wellbeck if you bring them on.

Thanks wwfan.

I got fm 2013 last night and like you have chosen my favourite team that is united. Strangley enough I was planning on using some of the same formations. Wasn't so sure about tactics. I can confirm that rooney is no good as a poacher as he just doesn't score from open play.

Yeah a 4231 or a 442 is the only real way to go with United. Although a can see a wide 442 diamond working, that would also allow you to play kagawa in his correct position whilst still having RVP and Rooney up top. At a stretch I reckon you can also play a narrow 442 diamond, but you won't be able to play our wingers, and a narrow diamond is hard to set up!

Yeah, Rooney is most definitely not a poacher. The only reason I even considered rvp as a poacher is because he moves into channels and looks to break the offside trap, that and the fact that he has awesome composure and off the ball movement.

Yeah a 4231 or a 442 is the only real way to go with United. Although a can see a wide 442 diamond working, that would also allow you to play kagawa in his correct position whilst still having RVP and Rooney up top. At a stretch I reckon you can also play a narrow 442 diamond, but you won't be able to play our wingers, and a narrow diamond is hard to set up!

Yeah, Rooney is most definitely not a poacher. The only reason I even considered rvp as a poacher is because he moves into channels and looks to break the offside trap, that and the fact that he has awesome composure and off the ball movement.

I've had a mess around with 442 diamond against lesser teams and its good. What do you use against teams playing 442 like Newcastle? Played them a few times away and can't seem to get the win. Maybe my tactics are wrong.

Archived