Has anyone actually tested if Population affects attendance?

KronikAlkoholik

I was thinking of cleaning a small country of cities and create a few of different sizes and put identical clubs in them to see if any would outgrow their city.

The idea was to make the league a high reputation but the teams a middle reputation, so when they go on and win it a few times their attendance should increase. If the ones in smaller cities increase at a slower rate it might prove that population matters.

Has anyone done anything like this. Do you see a flaw in my plan? Could location matter, as if it's a small city but close to a big one?

I see one (not really your fault, it`s the way game is), you forgot that league reputation also changes, so when you have lower rep teams in it, league rep will also decrease through years. At what rate that would be, i can not say. Still it doesn't mean your plan can't work.

I would presume it to have no notable effect seeing how fanbases differ wildly all over the world, and the game can't hope to recreate that. As an example Villarreal's stadium fits 25k, the city only has 50k people - obviously they come from elsewhere on matchday.

• 1 month later...

Don't think it has too much affect on attendance decrease. When i created the Estonian league and by accident added too many zeros to the attendance it must have been quite a sight seeing over 2 million people watching the games from a country with a pop of 1.16 Million :o. Didnt seem to affect regens either even after 25 years.

Archived