How Do You Run Your Club?

I bought a 18 y.o. LB from Argentina one year. Had to use my only non-EU signing for that year to get him, and cost $2.2m. Well, he forced his way into the first team at age 20, and went on to become the world's best left back by age 23 or 24. I had him until he was 30, and there was a very promising 23 year old LB in the squad who obviously hadn't had THAT much playing time in his young career. Real Madrid offered me $86m! If he wasn't 30, and he didn't have a protege already in the squad for the past 5 years I don't think I would have considered it, to be honest.

My philosophy

1) Give as proper response to player concerns as much as possible

2) Don't change too much too often in terms of tactics and selection, whoever the opposition, as Brian Clough said, don't worry about the opposition, let them worry about you.

3) Make selection changes based primarily on form (though not as religiously as I used to)

4) Stretch scouting resources to the limit to try and find bargains.

5) Don't sell important players unless I really have to financially.

6) If I have potential either on my shortlist or squad, I'm not afraid to buy/use it.

7) Keep the balance in the black, no matter what the board say you can spend.

8) When there are a lot of players out there to improve the side, I grab them, survive the short term pain and reap the benefits when this far superior side comes together.

9) I Spread the transfer money around when I need to, but when I don't, I'm not afraid of splash on someone who can make that big a difference to the quality of any part of the side, that includes £35M defenders.

10) Always be ready to pounce on free pre-contract deals.

Archived