Sweeper Keeper

According to the TC - "The Sweeper Keeper aims to perform two roles, those of the standard Goalkeeper and the outfield Sweeper. Alongside standard goalkeeping duties, he will sweep up balls in front of and wide of the penalty area and initiate counter-attacking moves with direct through balls to breaking players."

Looking at this it seems the best situation to play a Sweeper Keeper is when you are playing with an aggressive back line which has pushed high up the pitch - exactly the way I have my tactic set out. Now I'm not really bothered about the second part of the role, in fact I'd rather my goalkeeper just played a simple pass out to the defenders than try to launch a defence splitting long pass which will more than likely end up with me losing possession. I would, however, love him to use his high acceleration and rushing-out attributes to help defend against balls in behind my high defensive line which could prevent a quick opposition forward getting a clear shot at goal.

This got me wondering, which instruction(s) govern the goalkeepers tendency to come out from his box and sweep up? Comparing all 3 SK roles against the standard GK the differences I have noticed are; Mentality, Creative Freedom, Passing Style, Run From Deep, Run With Ball, Through Balls and Cross Ball with them getting higher the more attacking the role. Obviously we can disregard Passing, RWB, TB and CB as I don't see them having an effect on his sweeping (again ideally I'd prefer them to stay the same as the GK instructions - telling a goalkeeper to run with the ball and put a cross in from the byline would just be stupid, albeit hilarious to watch :D) so that leaves us with Mentality, CF and RFD.

My understanding of CF is that it gives your players more licence to make their own decisions instead of following our instructions, and so this is possibly irrelevant here since we DO want him do as we say and sweep up outside of the box.

So we come to Mentality and RFD. Based on a Balanced philosophy, on a Defend duty the SK has a low mentality and RFD rarely, on a Support duty he has 'normal' mentality and RFD sometimes, and on Attack he has a high mentality and RFD often. Now it seems obvious that the more attacking you make him the more he will act as a sweeper. Problem solved? No. Like I said, I don't want a 'Libero Keeper' (You saw it here first! Probably.) and so would be very reluctant to put him on Support, never mind Attack. But with a Defend duty there is virtually no difference to the normal GK instructions except for a slight increase in CF and trying a few through balls and crosses.

So my question is this - how do I use the TC to get my goalkeeper to sweep up behind the defence without him suddenly thinking he is the next Xabi Alonso or Andrea Pirlo with the ball? Has anyone else had the same issue or managed to set it up successfully? Or am I stuck with relying on a normal goalkeeper rushing out naturally/relying on a sweeper keeper to not be a moron?

My problem with the Sweeper Keeper mode is that my goalie isn't aggressive enough! I have Manuel Neuer in goal, 20 kicking and all that, but I do not see him playing regularly on the "D" like he does in real life, nor do I see those risky headed clearances outside his penalty area. I want my Sweeper Keeper to run around the entire final third recycling possession high up the pitch, and making clearances when in defense, and accordingly I have given him the most risky possible instructions - runs with ball, plays through balls, highly attacking mentality, roaming - but he is still only a mildly more active goalkeeper at best.

My problem with the Sweeper Keeper mode is that my goalie isn't aggressive enough! I have Manuel Neuer in goal, 20 kicking and all that, but I do not see him playing regularly on the "D" like he does in real life, nor do I see those risky headed clearances outside his penalty area. I want my Sweeper Keeper to run around the entire final third recycling possession high up the pitch, and making clearances when in defense, and accordingly I have given him the most risky possible instructions - runs with ball, plays through balls, highly attacking mentality, roaming - but he is still only a mildly more active goalkeeper at best.

How high is his Eccentricity attribute? Do you think other mental attributes like Flair come into it?

try increase the closing down?

I don't like to change things from the TC settings, and even with an Attack duty and the team settings to Press More, the only way I can see to increase the goalkeepers CD is to use the Hassle Opponents shout which will change my entire team to tight man marking which I don't want.

Archived