Football's Greatest

sherm

Karl Jacobs and his wife, Angela, had built themselves a beautiful garden. He had just put the final and finishing touches to it, and he stood up to admire his work. Karl was a novice gardener, having been in the business only a couple of years, and he felt that the new garden he had built himself was his best work. He was stood in the middle of his garden, and it was suddenly that he heard a voice whispering to him. The voice told him to 'Go back in time and let them play'. He was baffled, and heard the voice again seconds later. He strode back inside his house, telling himself he had worked too hard.

Over the next few weeks, with business picking up, he kept hearing the voice, repeating itself over and over again, and eventually, he discovered the owner of the voice. He was in the kitchen, and he looked out of the window to see his garden had expanded, and there, in the middle of it, was a young man playing football. Karl went out to the man, who was now doing kick-ups with grace and skill. He trapped the ball, turned round to Karl, and smiled

"Who are you?"

"My name is Diego. It is my voice you have been hearing, and finally I thought I should show my face"

Karl was in shock. He recognised the man in front of him as a young Diego Maradona, no more than 21 years old

"What do you want with me?"

"Myself, and some of my fellow former footballing luminaries would like to resume our careers, and you are the perfect candidate to help us do that"

"How? This isn't back to the future, and I'm not Marty McFly"

Maradona laughed to himself

"You don't need to be. Just be here in three days, and you will see what I mean"

With that, he picked up the ball and left, leaving Karl in a state of shock. He had just met one of the greatest footballers to ever grace the game.

---

This is a game I started a while back, and it's based on a film I watched with Kevin Costner, called Field of Dreams. The start of the story will take a similar plot line, but once we get into it, I will add my own style of writing into the story. Enjoy!

Cheers gentlemen. High praise from two of our best writers, greatly appreciated

---

As promised, he returned three days later, and he genuinely couldn't believe what it was he was seeing. Diego Maradona was playing football with thirteen other players, and it wasn't until he got closer that he realised who they were. Not only was it Maradona, but he was joined by the likes of Dino Zoff, Graeme Souness, George Best, Michel Platini, Ruud Gullit, and maybe the greates of them all, Pele. It was almost a surreal dream, but he stood there and watched the men play. It was an awesome sight. His thoughts were soon interrupted by a gruff, unmistakable Scottish voice behind him, and he turned round to see former Liverpool bos Bill Shankley stood with his arms folded, a grim look on his face

"What the matter with ye laddie? Ye look like ye've seen a ghost"

"What? But, you?"

"Aye. Now, I won't be in charge of the team, ye will. I'll be here to give ye advice and help ye along the way"

"Team? Manage what team?"

Shankley stood there, a bemused look on his face

"What do ye mean what team? Bloody Liverpool of course!"

Karl just stood there in shock. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. How could he manage Liverpool? How could he manage all these great players? It was almost like somebody had taken his fantasy and made it into reality, and now, here he was, being asked to manage some of the best players ever to play the game

Over the course of the next few days, Karl met several of his new squad. He had managed to convince Angela to let him fulfil his destiny, and though she was sceptical, she supported him. It was interesting to Karl to see the ensemble of players gathered in front of him. Two former Liverpool greats, in Graeme Souness and Kenny Dalglish were there, aswell as Brazilian legends Pele and Carlos Alberto. Goalkeeper Dino Zoff and defender Franco Baresi were the Italian representatives, while others such as Michel Platini, the mercurial Frenchman, the greatest Hungarian ever, Ferenc Puskas, and German heroes Franz Beckenbauer and Gerd Muller also joined him. It was a squad full of talent, but there was still a lot of work to do. It was in talking to Shankley that the Scotsman revealed that Karl's dreams would turn into reality

"All ye have to do lad is have a wee dream aboot some great modern players. Then, bingo, they'll be with ye in the team"

"OK. So it's that easy?"

"Easy as winning titles son"

Cheers Mark, good to have you following along

---

The influence of the greatest Liverpool manager ever was certainly helping Karl, but he knew that not only did he have the greats from then and now, but he had to buy several youngsters to balance out the squad. This led to him signing players of real potential, and some of them could turn into modern day greats.

Aswell as all the older generation of players, Karl also found himself managing some great modern players. Players like Alessandro Nesta, a solid, international centre half, along with his fellow country man Gianluigi Buffon. Frenchmen Lilian Thuram and Zinedine Zidane also joined, but the biggest set of money spent was to Arsenal, who allowed their Dutch striker Dennis Bergkamp to move to Anfield. Several youngsters moved to the club too, as a future for the club, and Karl was pleased with how his squad was shaping. It was almost as if he was assembling his squad on a computer game...

Karl stood in the middle of the Anfield pitch and looked around on his surroundings. Here he was, manager of the greatest side of the 80's, managing some of the greatest and most influential players in the game. It was almost like a dream, a fantasy, but in his heart Karl knew it was a reality. A few hours later, as he stood on the touchline at the training ground in Melwood, watching these players train and play among each other, it finally hit him. He was living the dream, a dream that most people would love to be a part of.

"Are ye ready lad?"

As always, Shankley stood over his right shoulder, his gruff voice prominent

"Ready as I'll ever be Bill"

"This is a great club, a massive club, and it is essential that ye manage them in the Champions League laddie"

"I plan to get them there, don't you worry"

The opening game of the season was a 3rd round qualifier in the prestigious Champions League, as Hajduk Split of Croatia visited Anfield. It should, on paper, have been a relatively simple game, but Karl knew that in Europe, no game was simple. The hardest thing though was to pick a starting eleven, especially with so much talent to choose from, but in the end, he decided on a team.

They took to the field in front of 34,000 people, and Karl took his place in the dugout. A good start was crucial, and they got that, testing Pletikosa several times before the twenty minute mark. Maradona curled one that was tipped over the bar, before he saved from Pele, Nesta and Platini, but it was the French midfielder who was the driving force, and on 25 minutes, he gave his side the lead, marauding forward from Maradona's pass, before superbly sliding home from twelve yards. The mercurial Argentinian then won his side a penalty, being felled in the box, and Brazilian Pele stepped up to take it, firing into the bottom corner to send his side into a 2-0 half time lead. The second half was a more reserved and quiet performance, as Hajduk tried to break down the defence, but Nesta and Baresi were typically Italian, sturdy and solid, and 2-0 was how it remained. Bergkamp did have a chance for a third late on, but he was denied by Pletikosa

Archived