FM12: Southend United

Ricky Button

aghh, end of january im on a 4 game losing streak, and now ive got to play sunderland in the fa cup away, im sitting 7th in the league with 48 points, so im on target for my 60 points, just a tad depressing all these losses coming at once.

Still doing decent by the looks of it. Good mid-table finish will give you a great basis to build on for next season.

That makes me think, do you guys stay with Southend through thick and thin or do you go when a decent job comes up? I usually intend to leave but when it comes to it i cant as i feel all the hard work i have done goes to waste

I've never really done a career save, nothing longer than five seasons for sure. I plan to take Southend to the top of the Prem and beyond, so I won't be leaving them if the bigger boys come calling.

Ugh, just threw the league away with an inexplicable 3-1 home defeat against Gillingham. Still, automatic promotion and 14 points clear of third place, I can be happy with that.

Good to see you still clinched promotion, it was the same scenario for me. Final day of the season and depending on results, Bristol Rovers could have won the League, but thankfully I got across the line.

I managed to get two games in this morning, away to Swindon and won 3-2 and away at Brentford and really snatched a 1-0 win. Brentford dominated the game, had 63% possession by the end and I still ran away with all 3 points, Flahavan was inspirational in goal! Automatic promotion is definitely out of the picture, I'm 12 or so points behind second place, but the play-offs are very much a reality, I'm sitting comfortable at 6th ahead of Charlton by 4 points. I'm not sure if it would be beneficial to get back-to-back promotions, especially as at the end of the season I'm letting players such as Barker, Clohessy, Dickinson and Grant leave the club. Jumping into the Championship with a squad in transition might not be the best of ideas.

It's getting to a point where I feel I've gotta stop having so much faith in the original Southend players; Mohsni, Prosser, Gilbert, Grant, Dickinson... none of them are cutting it in League 1, could say the same for young Kane Ferdinand but I have hopes he'll progress enough to be a squad player in L1/Championship.

There's a list as long as my arm of contracts expiring at clubs, for players I have on my short list. Will Keane is one of them so hopefully he'll be my new #10 at the start of the third season.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, if anyone can think of anything for the thread title, I'd be happy to put something in there. "FM12: Southend United" does the job and looks professional... but I feel it's missing a pun or something witty. Maybe it should just stay as it is?

FM12: Southend United, For the love of god someone invest some money in us. :D

Made some pretty significant improvements to the team for my first season in League One:

w8w11u.jpg

Kalas, Gordon and Piazon are all on loan from Chelsea as part of the new partnership we've got with them. Signed Ndo again, although I had to wait until the summer when he left Carlisle. I'm thinking the experience of him and Michael Stewart are gonna be really useful in midfield. Still way under the 35k wage budget the board gave me, but there's definitely players I need to offload, like the generally useless Corr. I'm also gonna try and get players like Ferdinand out on loan, he barely played last season and he's definitely not going to get a look in at a higher level.

Currently 7th in League One going in to November of season two. 7th in the table, but there's only 9 points between 1st and 10th place at this point. The squad's probably good enough to make the playoffs, but I'm getting just enough injuries to prevent the team really clicking. Mostly it's 2-3 week injuries, but Joseph Ndo just broke his leg and has set a retirement date so I don't expect him to play again. I've signed George Boateng on a free to play a similar kind of role in midfield.

Anyone had much luck getting anything out of the board? I asked to be able to hire more coaches just to make training better and hopefully cut down on injuries but they're not having it.

Currently 7th in League One going in to November of season two. 7th in the table, but there's only 9 points between 1st and 10th place at this point. The squad's probably good enough to make the playoffs, but I'm getting just enough injuries to prevent the team really clicking. Mostly it's 2-3 week injuries, but Joseph Ndo just broke his leg and has set a retirement date so I don't expect him to play again. I've signed George Boateng on a free to play a similar kind of role in midfield.

Anyone had much luck getting anything out of the board? I asked to be able to hire more coaches just to make training better and hopefully cut down on injuries but they're not having it.

I asked for more wages again and it was given. :cool:

Gonna try and get a Prem parent club now, probably Chelsea like you've got.

as I was watching the game play out, I was thinking "Damn, Troy Archibald-Henville is a beast at this level.", he made so many perfect tackles and won headers all through the first half, until the 45th minute where he did a 'Jonny Evans' and tugged down a guy on the edge of the area - TAH being the last man. Was glad I only lost 1-0 to Carlisle in the end. :mad:

My 17 year old MC potential wonderkid is looking quite decent:

[video=youtube;mFvwsgFZjGQ]

x2ktgg.jpg

Absolutely no way he'll develop at Southend though, the youth facilities are poor and I've only got one youth coach. Southampton are already looking at him, but I'll wait until some Premiership clubs are interested then try and get a good deal for him.

Nooooooooo! Flahavan just announced he's going to retire at the end of the season, I'll try to convince him not to. :(

Just got april and suffered a retirement announcement myself, Chris Barker retiring at end of season :( he played 30 games this season and got 7 goals, he still has the stats for a top league 1 team in my opinion

Just got april and suffered a retirement announcement myself, Chris Barker retiring at end of season :( he played 30 games this season and got 7 goals, he still has the stats for a top league 1 team in my opinion

He'll probably do the same on mine then... Good news is I found Gavin Peers in my game after loading the irish leagues. Will have Craig Sives, Troy Archibald-Henville and Gavin Peers then.

Just recommended that Barker becomes a coach after he hangs his boots up, he becomes quite an immense coach, decent staff attributes for a number of roles!

Crikey, good call! i just checked his stats and hes got 17 defending, 15 motivating, 16 lod and 16 determination.

woah! harris is pretty insane too 20 attacking, 16 determination 16 mental

ninocouzens.png

Just had this fella, Nino Couzens, pop up in my youth intake this year. He wasn't even the pick of the bunch, according to my assistant manager, but he's my pick of the bunch. Looks well rounded and will hopefully improve some, put him straight into the match day squad for the home game against Leyton Orient.

Just finished the 2nd season finished joint 6th(8th) but missed out on the playoff due to goal difference, still im more than happy with that, now its time for a massive overhaul as few players are retiring, several want wages above there abilities and alot just havent cut it at this level

Yeah, I'm looking for somewhere to offload Mohsni. He'll do a job in League Two, but just isn't up to it at a higher level. There's quite a few like that in the squad. I just sold Leonard to some Blue Square Premier side because as much as I like him he was never going to be a first choice player.

Yeah, I'm looking for somewhere to offload Mohsni. He'll do a job in League Two, but just isn't up to it at a higher level. There's quite a few like that in the squad. I just sold Leonard to some Blue Square Premier side because as much as I like him he was never going to be a first choice player.

Yep, exactly that... I was holding on to some players just for the sentimental value, but I'm gonna cut through the squad and probably only have Kane Ferdinand left over from what the team starts as.

funny enough i just got him on a free, along with Tom Pope.

I'll take a look at this Pope fella.

Three games before the end of the season, I'm guaranteed a play-off spot and both of my attack-minded midfielders get injured in the same match. Going to have to play Grant or Ferdinand there.

Just had something weird happen, fairly sure it's a bug but...

John Marquis

johnmarqius.png

Got this guy joining me when the transfer window opens. They offered him to me for £1,000, when he's clearly worth more. His stats are fantastic and he will be a good replacement for Dickinson and Harris. He only wanted 3k/week as well.

Well, some mixed results going into the third season. I'm still in L1 after finishing 5th and failing in the play-offs. Top scorer Will Keane's contract at Manchester United was running out, but the Southend board decided to decrease the over-all wage budget right before I approached to sign him. He was willing to sign as a first team player with a wage of 2.5k, which is an absolute steal. Because of the wage reduction, I couldn't offer the contract and I had to wait until players retired and left the club, which was 14 days away.

Before that day came, Manchester United wrapped up a new two-year contract with Keane for a rather pathetic £600/w... so I missed out there. Thankfully he was more than happy to return to the club on a season long loan.

I also managed to **** up with my staff some how. I'm not sure what I did to **** them off (probably too much haggling with contracts), but Darryl Flahavan won't talk to the club (this is after I sacked my GK coach so I could hire Flahavan, who had 20 for GK Coaching), Neil Harris is the same when I want to make him a coach and Graham Coughlan (who finally retired as a player) won't talk to the club either. (Coughlan has amazing staff attributes, particularly judge ability and potential). Hopefully I can talk to them after a couple of weeks and get them on board, as I have a couple of decent youth players I think can progress very well.

Clubs releasing players was rather insane as well, the likes of Dimitar Berbatov, Ravel Morrison, Mame Biram Diouf, Daniel Sturridge... they were all released by their clubs. There were a few potential signings there, but the one I wanted most (Ravel Morrison) is unwilling to talk to the club as it stands, hopefully he'll see sense soon and not retire (like Freddy Eastwood did at the ripe old age of 28).

I've got Gavin Peers coming in december after his contract at Sligo runs out, I've signed a couple of fullbacks for squad depth (was really lacking there last season), one of whom is Simon Francis. The squad now looks filled out and I have a few loan signings I can still make - I'll make sure quality is added to the team as I've told the board I'd get promotion (in which they gave me a 45k/w wage budget).

The original squad is basically gone, all that remains is Chris Barker, Kane Ferdinand and Ryan Leonard (can't get rid of a good utility player), I'll get screens of the new team before I start the first league game.

Looking forward to the new season and the partnership between John Marquis and Will Keane.

Sounds good!, im also having an issue with wage budget and players who are available on free's they are either not interested or they want 4-5kp/w+ which we can no way afford given the wage bil reduction. i hope Peers has a major impact for you like he did me, and man you was lucky with that Marquis!

Yeah bringing in Peers should be a good thing for the team, I can play Chris Barker for the first half the season and gently ease him out towards december, then get Peers to carry on where he left off. Barker will still be able to tutor for the rest of the season and be good back-up, hopefully he'll decide to retire and become a coach for me (if he'll sign after that :mad:). At the start of the fourth season I plan on making Peers the club captain, 17 influence is the best I'll have.

I may have been wrong about young Flenley not developing at Southend. In about 4 months from the last screenshot I posted, he's now started to look like this:

20a9m5t.jpg

He's probably ready for first team football already, but with 12 games of the season to go I'm actually in with a shout for automatic promotion from League One and I'm not all that keen on messing with a successful side right now.

I may have been wrong about young Flenley not developing at Southend. In about 4 months from the last screenshot I posted, he's now started to look like this:

20a9m5t.jpg

He's probably ready for first team football already, but with 12 games of the season to go I'm actually in with a shout for automatic promotion from League One and I'm not all that keen on messing with a successful side right now.

Oh wow, he looks fantastic, hopefully Couzens kicks on and does that for me. Going to play him as a striker or an attacking mid?

Well his 'natural' position is AMC, with MC as his other one, but he's definitely worth training as a forward. If his creativity comes along well he'll be really good just behind the strikers. He's got a good shot on him and finds space well:

[video=youtube;PHL-ZE4gsIw]

Just had match day 1 of season 3.

Still in the League One, im 1k over my current wage budget, and struggling to find some more players worth loaning in, need serious strengthening on the wings.

Ive broke one of my own personal rules and signed a player over 30(alan navarro and Dwayne Mattis) needed defensive midfielders and they were the best my scouts could find.

ive signed several new staff which is looking pretty strong.

Won opening day at home against Notts County 4-0, John Russell bagging all 4 goals, missing a penalty and Leo Aro having a goal dissallowed in the 89th minute, took Russell only 1minute to open his account for the season.

season3squad.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

oh and as you can see Galindo has an injury, which ive just been told is 2-3 months, so ive cancelled his loan, going to be so short on players!

I am really lacking in staff positions! my squad has great depth and quality to it now, have 3 loan positions left open incase I need an emergency loan. I'm gutted Flahavan, Coughlan and Harris won't sign. I dunno wether to keep those positions open or not...

i picked up craig mcewan and terry mason as coaches, have pretty decent stats, might be worth a look

[video=youtube;KQ0Y63w2bk0]

Hall. :cool:

Season #3 is under way. I'll get some screenshots of my transfers and current squad in after the transfer window shuts.

Oh wow, Hall has just topped the freekick... in the same game! He's giving Walsall nightmares, upload incoming.

Just had to play wonderkid Flenley for the first time as I've got a fair few players out injured - he's only gone and scored a decent goal and got the man of the match award!

2 games to go, 2 points behind MK Dons in first place and 1 point ahead of Cardiff and Sheff Utd, the latter of whom I've got on the final day of the season. It's all getting rather tense.

Speaking of which, I believe there's a record for youngest goalscorer:

k00a54.jpg

http://oi42.tinypic.com/k00a54.jpg

And I'm pretty sure my 7-3 defeat against Bristol Rovers in the first season would take the highest scoring loss record, but I'm not sure I want to claim it.

Awesome, I'll get that in there. I was gonna link your defeat there, but thought against it.

[video=youtube;7iYREnuJH9w]

They just keep scoring absolute wonder goals.

Final day of the season, at home against Sheffield Utd. First time Roots Hall has sold out so far, although the average attendance has been steadily rising all season. Anyway, we're top of the league, one point ahead of Cardiff, Sheff Utd and MK Dons.

Huge game.

Final day of the season, at home against Sheffield Utd. First time Roots Hall has sold out so far, although the average attendance has been steadily rising all season. Anyway, we're top of the league, one point ahead of Cardiff, Sheff Utd and MK Dons.

Huge game.

Good luck!

I had Roots Hall filled to capacity for the play-off against Preston.

Woo!

fxvwvc.jpg

Got a little tense after they pulled one back, but the team kept it together.

Media predicted we'd finish 18th, but we won it by three points in the end. Cofie and Piazon both got 15 goals each, with Aluko getting 10 and Kalas scoring 9 from set pieces. Harris, who got 35 last time round, only managed 4 goals and lost his place about halfway through the season. Played a few times towards the end and scored a couple of important goals though.

No idea how I'm gonna do in the Championship.

EDIT: Just realised this is worryingly like the real Southend a few years ago - promoted from League Two, unexpectedly win League One, followed by immediate relegation back again. Uh oh.

haha, well done! great promotion and some good player stats. I signed John Cofie on a free, but he was out done by Will Keane all season and ended up letting him go on a free to Bournemouth.

Got any plans for the Championship? any specific signings you want to make?

Archived