Match Preparation

When we go to match preparation screen, we can see 3 slots for 3 different tactics. Workload slider and special focus area. Im confused does this slider control only speed of learning tactics or more workload prepare team better for defensive positioning, or attacking movement?

Thanks in advance, Nenad.

This seems to be the general view but I'm still not convinced. I've had several occasions where I've had a bad run of form so I up the match prep workload slider in order to get a boost in a specific area and then find that I start to play better (even if I'm still not getting results).

It was always my opinion that more workload meant a greater boost. Any non-fluid aspects of tactical training then eat into the level, for example:

Highest workload = (100% boost) - (5% * non-fluid tactical bar)

Medium workload = (50% boost) - (2.5% * non-fluid tactical bar)

No workload = 0% boost and 0% tactical fluidity increase.

Note: The 5% and 2.5% are purely hypothetical, the point is that less fluidity in a tactic means less of a boost as that training time is taken by tactical learning.

I have no evidence for this other than boosting the match prep sees an increase in my team's performance and my tactic is fluid (has been for years). Of course, the increase in team performance could be for other factors.

The special focus area only works for matches (except team blend). So you only need to enable it right before the match and disable it right after. If what you say is true, you could put the workload slider on max right before match to have a maximum benefit from your special focus area and put it back to minimum after the match to not lose any training workload.

However I don't think it works that way and your increase in performance is due to other factors. If it does work that way than it has to be a bug.

While the main tactical training in match preparation is cumulative and your squad becomes more and more familiar with your selected tactics over time, the special focus is currently intended as a focus for the next upcoming match only. This means you can change it anytime before the next match without any penalties to the effects.

I don't see anything there that says you can change it the morning of a game - it is certainly unrealistic to do so. Surely any real-life manager will practise attacking set-pieces during the week if they think they can gain an advantage there - just saying 'let's attack more from set-pieces than normal today boys' isn't going to do anything.

I'd read that SI reply as: A change in match prep won't lose you any bonus you've already accumulated.

So, if we assume it's Sunday and the players are busy recovering from their Saturday game whilst they have a whole week until the next game. It's safe to assume they will train for 4 out of the 5 days (let's say Mon,Tues,Weds,Thurs & rest on Fri). My match prep focus is set as 'Attacking Movement' whilst my workload is set at medium. As a real-life manager I would instruct my coaches (or do it myself) to set aside 20 minutes at the end of each session (let's say each training session is an hour) so that 20% bonus. As an assumption I'm going to say that you gain 5% of the bonus on each day.

I gain 5% on Monday.

I gain another 5% on Tuesday.

A further 5% on Wednesday.

On Thursday I change the focus to heavy and gain (for example) 8%.

So my total boost to 'Attacking Movement' for Saturday's game is 23%.

I'm not penalised for changing to heavy workload and I wouldn't be penalised if I'd set it to none on the Thursday (I would still gain 15% bonus).

This bonus would be reduced if my 20mins per session was also spent learning a new tactic or formation.

Surely switching to heavy before kick-off and back to none afterwards is exploiting any bug in the programming and is in no way realistic?

I'll happily concede that SI may have implemented the module in a vastly different manner but, given the complexity of other modules in the game, I see no reason why a complicated implementation isn't happening.

Its also worth noting that the official reply states 'it is currently intended', this reply was given before the final patch so things might behave differently in 11.3

EDIT:

Sorry, I've realised that I haven't fully answered your reply. I up the workload immediately after a game so that my players get a full week (or full half-week) of increased match prep and only lower it again after a game when I'm happy that my form has picked up sufficiently. I'll happily agree that my upturn in form could be due to many other factors.

I don't see anything there that says you can change it the morning of a game - it is certainly unrealistic to do so. Surely any real-life manager will practise attacking set-pieces during the week if they think they can gain an advantage there - just saying 'let's attack more from set-pieces than normal today boys' isn't going to do anything.

I'd read that SI reply as: A change in match prep won't lose you any bonus you've already accumulated.

So, if we assume it's Sunday and the players are busy recovering from their Saturday game whilst they have a whole week until the next game. It's safe to assume they will train for 4 out of the 5 days (let's say Mon,Tues,Weds,Thurs & rest on Fri). My match prep focus is set as 'Attacking Movement' whilst my workload is set at medium. As a real-life manager I would instruct my coaches (or do it myself) to set aside 20 minutes at the end of each session (let's say each training session is an hour) so that 20% bonus. As an assumption I'm going to say that you gain 5% of the bonus on each day.

I gain 5% on Monday.

I gain another 5% on Tuesday.

A further 5% on Wednesday.

On Thursday I change the focus to heavy and gain (for example) 8%.

So my total boost to 'Attacking Movement' for Saturday's game is 23%.

I'm not penalised for changing to heavy workload and I wouldn't be penalised if I'd set it to none on the Thursday (I would still gain 15% bonus).

This bonus would be reduced if my 20mins per session was also spent learning a new tactic or formation.

Surely switching to heavy before kick-off and back to none afterwards is exploiting any bug in the programming and is in no way realistic?

I'll happily concede that SI may have implemented the module in a vastly different manner but, given the complexity of other modules in the game, I see no reason why a complicated implementation isn't happening.

Its also worth noting that the official reply states 'it is currently intended', this reply was given before the final patch so things might behave differently in 11.3

What you said here does make sense, but it doesn't work like that, cause the special focus area is not cumulative (team blend apart), so changing it the day before a match would have the same effect.

What you said here does make sense, but it doesn't work like that, cause the special focus area is not cumulative (team blend apart), so changing it the day before a match would have the same effect.

It doesn't stack up over a longer period, wich means it'll boost certain stats untill the next match, that is what I get from reading it. There's nothing to be sure of, certainly nothing to suggest that workload has nothing to do with it.

I know it doesn't stack up over a larger period and that the bonus is only for the next game.

You're right it does say that you can change it anytime before kick-off but there is no difference in training time between 'attacking' and 'none'. As Steve says, there's nothing there that says that workload isn't associated with the size of the bonus you get for match prep.

Archived