NEW***Balanced Attacking Football

For FM11.3

These are a set of tactics I have used since FM09. They have since been tweaked and adapted for each of the FM series. In particularly remodeled for FM11.3 to bring backs its hay-day strengths when first developed. Don't take my word for it, look at the comments below and check out the tactics for yourself.

----------------

Pictures:

Still to come - will be done by 5th September.

---------------

Overview of tactic:

There are 4 tactics available. The "Wing-Play" tactics are for more creative teams (they will not work for lower league teams), and the "Narrow & Slow" tactics are generally for non-creative teams - particularly lower league clubs. That does not mean creative teams cannot use the Narrow & Slow tactic - they can and to good affect.

For each set of tactics there is one for Home games and one for Away games. The Home tactic can also be used for easy away games, or away games where you may be prepared to take a gamble to score lots of goals. There is no change in the shape of the formation in any of the tactics.

The Away "Wing-Play" tactic does not have any major changes to the passing or tackling mentality compared to the Home tactic. The difference between the two is players are asked not to be so attack minded or allowed as much creative freedom in the Away tactic. But it is still an attacking tactic, just a little more conservative than the Home one.

The "Narrow & Slow" tactics use a completely different approach to the Wing-Play tactic. Less creative and more conservative, but you control games with this tactic. Different passing philosophy around short passing, but the shape will remain partially the same. It can work great for both creative and non-creative teams, but when developed it was aimed at non-creative teams lower down in leagues.

If opposition teams get used to your current tactic then swap between them, change from Narrow to Wing and vice-versa to vary the play throughout a season.

The following is related mostly to the Wing-Play tactic:

- Right sided striker is more attack minded than the Left sided striker. This means the left sided striker (who is set to 'roam') will link up more with your midfield, and occasionally hassle the oppositions midfielders and full-backs for the ball. You will find more space is created this way for the Right sided striker (who is the poacher), therefore stretching the opposition defence.

- Your wingers will both get down the byline and move into the channels (although they are not asked to move into channels, they move into channels because they are set to 'roam'). They will bombard forward at every opportunity making it 4 in attack (x2 winger & x2 strikers). They are set to 'roam' which makes it harder for the opposition to pick them up and they will get into good goal scoring opportunities.

- Your wing-backs will support the wingers and over-lap on some occasions, but will usually just lye behind the wingers. They are not set to go all out attacking but have an attacking mind when the team are in procession and going forward. There is one slight problem with this, and that is they can occasionally get exploited at the back on the flanks - your CBs are set-up to help cover this area if required as is your DM.

- Your CM will get forward at every opportunity but not always in the box. He is the one that pulls the strings in the team. He is the playmaker (but not set as one) and distributes the ball to all your attacking teammates. Through balls to the strikers tend to come from this man. He will also do his fair share of defending and trying to win the ball back.

- Your DM will sit-back and support your two central defenders. He will try to win the ball back whenever possible. He will on occasions go into a 3 man CB position to offer more of a defensive wall. The DM will tend to pass to the CM when on the attack as the CM pulls the strings.

- Right sided CB is more defensive than the Left sided CB. The idea is that the more defensive (Right sided) CB will sweep up all the through balls and the Left sided CB will come out of his position to close down any threat lurking outside the area.

---------------

Player Attributes:

Apart from the usual required attributes for each position, to get the best out of this tactic you should also be looking at the following to get its full potential...

(Minimum number required for a particular attribute is in brackets)

Defence:

Right sided CB - needs to be quick and really good in the air (he is the one who gets the goals from the corners and most from indirect free-kicks). He is your main defender, therefore Anticipation and concentration are also vital component so that he can read the through balls to sweep up, he will also step forward to close down or cover the right wing-back position to shut down players.

To sum up:

Tackling (15)

Heading (16)

Jumping (16)

Height (6ft2+)

Acceleration (15)

Pace (14)

Anticipation (14)

Concentration (14)

Off the ball (12)

Left sided CB - An overall general good amount of attributes is suffice - you don't need anything outstanding. Nothing specifically required as your right sided CB is the main defender. Anticipation and Concentration are two components that can help with his defensive duties.

To sum up:

Tackling (15)

Heading (14)

Jumping (14)

Height (5ft 10+)

Anticipation (10)

Concentration (10)

Full-Backs - they will get forward, defend, create chances and the odd occasion of getting inside the box. If he can't dribble then forget it as they will get up the flanks.

To sum up:

Tackling (12)

Dribbling (12)

Passing (10)

Crossing (13)

Stamina (14)

Acceleration (15)

Pace (15)

Off the ball (12)

Midfield & Wingers:

CM - should be deadly with passing. He strings most of the passes and creates lots of opportunities. You need a good technical player who can craft things with his good creativity. He doesn't need to be spectacular. A good team player with good work rate ethos is important as he should be getting involved in most things. He does not need to be brilliant in the tackle as your DM does that job, but he at least should be able to make some effort in that department.

To sum up:

Tackling (10)

Heading (8)

Passing (16)

Anticipation (9)

Concentration (9)

Stamina (14)

Team Work & Work Rate (15)

Technique (12)

Creativity (12)

DM - He breaks up the play, gets stuck in and rumbles the opposition. It's vitally important that he is a rock in midfield (not necessarily built like a machine) with outstanding tackling and work rate.

To sum up:

Tackling (15)

Passing (14)

Anticipation (12)

Concentration (10)

Stamina (15)

Team Work & Work Rate (16)

Strength (12)

Off the ball (10)

Wingers - need to be decent at shooting and composure as they will get into plenty of goal scoring positions. Past faced tricky wingers are fairly important here as they get a lot of the ball to create things. Crossing and passing are very important because the final ball needs to be good for the strikers. Because they take players on dribbling is perhaps the most important factor - if they cant get passed the man they are pretty much useless.

To sum up:

Dribbling (15)

Passing (14)

Crossing (14)

Finishing (12)

Anticipation (10)

Concentration (9)

Technique (12)

Creativity (13)

Flair (10)

Strikers:

Right sided striker - he is the goal poacher, he is almost always on the last defenders shoulders. If he can't score goals then you may struggle. He is a vital player in your team, he gets most of the goals. Composure and finishing is essential for this position. Speed and acceleration are not that important and neither is heading as long at the other attributes are higher.

To sum up:

Finishing (16)

Composure (15)

Anticipation (14)

Concentration (12)

Technique (10)

Off the ball (12)

Speed (11)

Acceleration (11)

Left sided striker - should be a good team player and have a high work rate. He links up with your midfield and occasionally slots in through balls for your other striker. He occasionally gets his head on the end of crosses or is generally there when a long ball is played so heading is important.

To sum up:

Finishing (13)

Composure (10)

Anticipation (10)

Concentration (9)

Speed (6)

Acceleration (6)

Off the ball (10)

Team Work & Work Rate (16)

Passing (12)

Heading (14)

Jumping (14)

Height (5ft11+).

---------------

Downloads:

Wing-Play (Home) 2.0

https://www.yousendit.com/download/YTY5ckhaY3lFd2MwTVE9PQ

Wing-Play (Away) 1.0

https://www.yousendit.com/download/YTY5ckhaY3lVbS92Wmc9PQ

Narrow & Slow (Home) 2.0

https://www.yousendit.com/download/YTY5ckhaY3lUME94dnc9PQ

Narrow & Slow (Away) 1.0

https://www.yousendit.com/download/YTY5ckhaY3lqV0EwTVE9PQ

--------

Things to improve:

- Not enough through balls to the strikers?

I have updated the tactics for Home and Away games. I have still kept the original. So have a look at the updated ones and compare. I concentrated on conceding as minimal goals as possible. These should be improvements.

Let me know if the news are any better lads. :)

won my first game 7-0 with this, very exciting to watch as well. Will continue to test and hopefully it can keep playing the same type of football it did in the first game

Great result. Glad it was fun to watch, makes it more worthwhile creating tactics. Keep us posted on the progress.

Love the tatic, went on a 6 game unbeaten run winning 6 of them, only conceded 2 goals and scored 20 and thats with Watford. Got me out of the relegation zone :)

That's impressive. Never realised the tactic would be that successful, wonder if the new ones I just uploaded are any better or not. Let me know.

going to test this with West ham.. any opposit instructions?? what is the ket attribute for etch posisions???

Just use your Ass.Man for opp instr. Watch out for opposition wingers though. I will put up the key attributes for each position over the next few days.

Apart from the usual attribute required for each position.....

In the meantime your left sided striker should be a good team player and have a high work rate.

CM should be deadly with passing.

Wingers need to be decent at shooting and composure - they will get into plenty of goal scoring positions.

Right sided striker is the goal poacher - so all the necessary attributes.

Right sided CB needs to be quick and really good in the air.

Just use your Ass.Man for opp instr. Watch out for opposition wingers though. I will put up the key attributes for each position over the next few days.

Apart from the usual attribute required for each position.....

In the meantime your left sided striker should be a good team player and have a high work rate.

CM should be deadly with passing.

Wingers need to be decent at shooting and composure - they will get into plenty of goal scoring positions.

Right sided striker is the goal poacher - so all the necessary attributes.

Right sided CB needs to be quick and really good in the air.

what match preperations dose you use_?

Currently working on another set of tactics for lower league clubs where you need to play more narrow and slower. So far they are excellent. The Home tactic for this new set is complete. Just working on the away tactic now.

New tactics uploaded folks couple of days ago. Should be improved.

i have used home wing and away wing for a month.. and i dominate the game but my attackers just dont get through balls for finishing move so i win with 1-0 or 2-1 i play with spurs so my feedback is mixed

Thank you for the feedback...

I'll try and see what the problem is here:

Is your CM seeing enough of the ball? he is the one who puts most of the through balls in - around 70% come from him. Is it because through balls aren't reaching your strikers or it is because there just simply isn't any coming? Do you're wingers put in any through balls? Do you find there are more through balls in certain games than others? if so can you elaborate please as it would be interesting to know if it is a problem where the central area around the D line is congested meaning less through balls.

Your dominating so that's very positive and winning - have you lost any games yet?. Your right sided striker, is he quick with good anticipation? Perhaps he is not finding the right positions and therefore no through balls are coming through or being connected? If he is in a congested area then it will be difficult for a player to pick him out. Perhaps your CM is not intelligent enough to see that final pass? Look to see if your CM is in a great position to thread the ball through to your strikers, if so then the problem may lye with him. Analyse that with your other attacking players.

Your left striker is the one who links up with the midfield. Is he putting in any through balls? There are 4 players who are asked to play through balls. I'll re-visit this in my to do list to see how I can get more through balls coming in.

Please can you also upload a couple of games, one where there was less of a problem and one where there was a major problem and I'll see if I can suss out what the problem may be.

Did a few tests and cant find any major problems with through balls for my strikers.

Cpt_Bl4ck_B34rD - make sure you have the right strikers and an intelligent CM who can pass. Look to see where through balls are NOT coming from.

UPDATES COMING SOON....

- Slight improvements to the passing (currently developing this area as I type)

- Slight improvements to set-pieces (attacking only)

There's not much more to do that will improve this tactic as it's pretty solid.

Slight improvements to the defending, domination and control will be looked at next, along with major improvements to defending set-pieces. Through-balls will then be the final jigsaw to developing and improving these wonderful tactics.

Please provide constructive feedback to improve them. Thank you.

Hi Jay-Producer - downloaded your tactics the other day and must say I'm impressed! Great to watch and seriously outclassing teams that I shouldn't be (using the wing play set). Only thing I'd say - and it looks like you're aware of it - is defending set-pieces, from which I concede most of my goals. Look forward to seeing the improvements!

Cheers

Just downloaded the Wing play home and away for my Sheffield Wednesday side, second season about 20 games in, was in second but a run of losses has taken me down to 6th. I'll keep you updated.

Hi,

How are the players moral when you started going in a loosing run, i.e were some low already before the loosing streak?

Were the losses against tougher opposition?

Were you creating enough chances? perhaps your strikers firing duds?

Perhaps some teams are sussing out your tactics, if so try the narrow and slow set and see how you get on.

I'd also be interested to know how you lost most of your goals?

Hi Jay-Producer - downloaded your tactics the other day and must say I'm impressed! Great to watch and seriously outclassing teams that I shouldn't be (using the wing play set). Only thing I'd say - and it looks like you're aware of it - is defending set-pieces, from which I concede most of my goals. Look forward to seeing the improvements!

Cheers

Definitely aware that defending set-pieces is a big problem, it's on the list to look into along with other things.

when will the updated tactics come out jay??

I'm working on them now.

- Passing completed. Only very few minor tweaks done here which you will not notice really.

- Currently testing out a few options on attacking corners as I type, hopefully done by the weekend. If I have time I will look at attacking in-direct free-kicks.

- Next week I will look at the following: Domination and Control in games, and Through-balls.

- The following week I will look at: Defending corners and Defending Free-Kicks.

I will post up an update once all the testing has been completed (please allow 2-weeks). I work full time and study so I do not have a lot of time, plus my partner goes ape If I spend too much time on the computer. I'd rather all the testing was done before posting the updates as the final result will be more worthwhile.

I'm working on them now.

- Passing completed. Only very few minor tweaks done here which you will not notice really.

- Currently testing out a few options on attacking corners as I type, hopefully done by the weekend. If I have time I will look at attacking in-direct free-kicks.

- Next week I will look at the following: Domination and Control in games, and Through-balls.

- The following week I will look at: Defending corners and Defending Free-Kicks.

I will post up an update once all the testing has been completed (please allow 2-weeks). I work full time and study so I do not have a lot of time, plus my partner goes ape If I spend too much time on the computer. I'd rather all the testing was done before posting the updates as the final result will be more worthwhile.

hehehe okey.. i see.. i can help you test it if you like?? just sendme links in pm and i will respond to you with result and all that?

Last game of the season and i've gone back up to second, i had about 10 games where scores were 4-3, 5-4 etc (i won them) but now i seem to have sorted my defence out and have just beat Reading away 0-3. Just about to play my last match of the season and i'm 2 points clear of 3rd place.

Last game of the season and i've gone back up to second, i had about 10 games where scores were 4-3, 5-4 etc (i won them) but now i seem to have sorted my defence out and have just beat Reading away 0-3. Just about to play my last match of the season and i'm 2 points clear of 3rd place.

Entertaining games then lol.

Did you stick with the same tactic?

• 2 weeks later...

Been making some improvements.

- Set-Pieces are all improved. Just going through some tests, particularly defending set-pieces, attacking throw-ins and attacking in-direct free-kicks.

- Passing at full maximum (you won't notice anything though!).

Apart from those, its all looking slightly improved. I have been paying attention to the 2 CBs partnering to find the best instructions for them.

Will try and upload next week for you.

Archived