[FM11] Never Say Never...kusen

jt_northender

Introduction

Bayer Leverkusen are one of Germany's leading club sides and have usually been a force in German football over the years. In the 6 years between 1997 and 2002, they were runners up in the German league no less than 4 times. To date however, they have never lifted the title leading to the team being cruelly labelled Neverkusen by the English language press. My task is simple... bring domestic glory to Leverkusen.

The BayArena is one of the smaller grounds in the Bundesliga these days, with a capacity of just over 30,000 spectators. The club’s traditional home strip is Black and Red, with the away kit being White and Red and an all Blue third strip.

This is my first Football Manager foray since 2007 (and my first ever career update) so there are a lot of changes to contend with. I hope you enjoy - any feedback, suggestions and/or requests are welcome. My format is loosley based on Cougar’s “Stats are like miniskirts...” thread which is an excellent read if you’ve not come across it yet. I am using update 11.3. To make the game as realistic as possible, I have not read any of the wonderkids, best coaches, training schedules, tactics etc threads out there and all decisions I make will be based on my own experiences and those of my fellow staff members.

2010/2011 Pre-season

Transfer budget: £2.5 Million

Wage Budget: £550k per week

Leverkusen has a £61 Million bank loan repayable at £282k per month. With this transfer budget and squad, I don't anticipate much movement in the transfer window unless I sell first. Having looked through the squad, defence appears to be weakest and I seem to have a shortage of left sided players, particularly defensively. First job was to transfer list 9 players that have come through the ranks but don't look good enough for the future.

Squad

Leverkusen has a large squad at both U23 and U19 level, but here is an overview of the first team squad.

GOALKEEPERS

Rene Adler (25 year old German GK) - A clear choice for number 1, Adler has been at Leverkusen for 10 years, and represented Germany on 9 occasions.

Fabian Gelfer (20 year old German GK) - Probably going to be 2nd choice to Adler, Gelfer also came through the Leverkusen ranks.

Benedikt Fernandz (25 year old German GK) - Fernandez completes a trio of homegrown keepers, although I will look to move him on if I can get another good competitor for Adler in time.

CENTRE BACKS

Sami Hyypia (36 year old Finnish DC) - The former Liverpool man brings a wealth of experience to the backline.

Manual Friedrich (31 year old German DC) - German international attracting interest from Marseille though I am short at the back so will be looking to retain.

Stefan Reinartz (21 year old German DC/DMC/MC) - Clearly the rising star in defence, at 21 Reinartz is already an international and obvious long term replacement for Hyypia.

Domagoj Vida (21 year old Croatian DRC, DMC, MC) - Vida is a more than useful centre back who can also operate in a number of positions. Recently signed from Osijek for £2.1Million.

FULL BACKS

Michal Kadlec (25 year old Czech D/WBL) - Signed for £2.2Million in 2009 from Sparta Prague, Kadlec has no current competition for the left back slot. Looks a good all round player but I'm short of cover with Constant Djakpa on loan for a year.

Gonzalo Castro (23 year old German D/WBR, DM/MC) - Another German International, Castro looks favourite to become first choice at Right Back and his versatility could come in handy.

Daniel Schwaab (21 year old German D/WBR) - Started his career at Freiburg before being snapped up for just £220k in 2009. Looks a good prospect and will be good competition for Castro.

CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS

Michael Ballack (33 year old German DM/M/AMC) - I did a double take when checking out Ballack's wages. He is on £100k a week, almost three times higher than any other player! Essential to keep him healthy and I am expecting a big return from a potentially key player.

Simon Rolfes (28 year old German DM/MC) – Club Captain Rolfes is the type of quality all rounder that teams should be made around. I see him as my key ball winning midfield player.

Hanno Balitsch (29 year old German DM/MC) - Signed on a free from Hannover, Balitsch looks a solid defensive midfielder with a high work rate.

Arturo Vidal (23 year old Chilian DM/MC) - Cemented a regular berth since signing from Colo Colo 3 seasons ago and it's easy to see why with his stats. Central midfield is looking strong. Vidal is valued at £5.75 Million, our joint 3rd highest valued player after Adler and Kiessling.

Renato Augusto (22 year old Brazilian AMC/MRLC/AMRL) - Our best creative midfielder, Renato Augusto has a big future. Already technically skilled, my assistant manager believes he will improve further over the next few years. I am a bit short of wingers and well stocked in the middle of the park so he could be used on the wings, though I don’t want to ruin his talents.

Lars Bender (21 year old German DM/MC) - Last but not least, Lars Bender is a similar type of player to Rolfes and is another top prospect that will keep the midfielders on their toes. Brother Sven plays for Borussia Dortmund.

WINGERS

Tranquillo Barnetta (25 year old Swiss M/AMRL) - The two footed Swiss midfielder is wanted by a string of clubs including Liverpool and Juventus. I don't want to sell but if a bidding war sparks a big offer, it may be too good to refuse.

Sidney Sam (22 year old German AMRLC/ST) - A pacy attacking player, Sam will come in handy as he can play anywhere across the front line. I'm hoping he can push on further and improve.

Nicolai Jorgensen (19 year old Danish ML,AMRL,ST) - Recently signed from AB for £650k, Jorgensen is another good prospect who will get his chance this season if he can stay fit.

STRIKERS

Stefan Kiessling (26 year old German ST) - £6 Million rated German International striker, Kiessling has a high work rate and lots of pace. May be a key member if I play 1 up front.

Eren Derdiyok (22 year old Swiss ST) - Already has 24 International caps and combines strong aerial power with a good turn of pace. Only two senior strikers at the club, although I can use Sam and Jorgensen.

Manager Comments

A strong squad with few areas of weakness should be able to compete at the top of the league with quite modest expectations. I will be keeping a keen eye on Ballack who is almost a fifth of the wage bill! I have been informed that Mainz winger/striker Andre Schurrler (potentially 4*) will sign in the summer but I'm yet to decide whether I can cope with only 2 recognised strikers. Other areas I would ideally strengthen are Left Back, Goalkeeper, and Centre Back.

Pre-Season Update – July 2010

Board Expectations

EURO Cup - Reach 2nd Knockout Round

League - Compete alongside top teams

German Cup - Quarter Finals

Transfers

Out

Arturo Vidal - Arsenal offered £10 Million for him, and with Central Midfield being our strongest area I decide to sell to be able to strengthen other areas of the team.

In

Heiko Butscher (30 year old German DC, DL)- A £1.9 Million purchase from Freiburg, Butscher will provide good competition at Centre Back and good cover for Kadlec at Left Back.

Karim Yoda (21 year old French AMRL, MRL) - Signed on a season long loan, Yoda is a promising and versatile youngster that I see mainly as backup to the first team and only cost me £100k.

Amr Zaki (27 year old Egyptian ST) - A £1.5 Million signing from Zamalek that hasn't caught the imagination of the fans or board initially. Hopefully he can recapture his Wigan form of a couple of seasons ago and make a big impact.

Matches

A short tour of Belgium was followed by a home game with Olympic Marseilles and an away game at Division Two outfit, Duisburg. I was happy with the preparation, with only Renato Augusto and Simon Rolfes of the first team struggling with injury. The highlight was a 2nd half Stefan Kiessling hattrick in my 3-1 win at AA Gent.

Manager Comments

Not the best trio of signings I admit but they were more out of necessity than anything else and none cost me the earth or are on lengthy contracts, so I’m happy considering the financial constraints. The £10 Million Vidal transfer includes £7 Million over 18 months so it is not immediately available to boost the transfer kitty. I will be doing match by match updates as I get into the season and the odd screenshot. Here is my most promising youngster, 17 year old Danny Da Costa, recently signed on a 3 year professional contract.

August 2010

Friday 13th August 2010 - German Cup 1st Round

Pfullendorf vs Bayer Leverkusen

I field a strong side as I see this as a good extension of the pre-season to get the players up to speed. We blow Pfullendorf away in the first half with Sam laying on all 4 goals for Kiessling and grabbing 1 himself.

Scoreline: 1-5

Goals: Schneck (75) ; Kiessling (11, 20 ,32 ,44), Sam (36)

Thursday 19th August 2010 - EURO Cup, 4th Qualifying Round, 1st Leg

Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) vs Luzern (Switzerland)

A favourable draw and with the home leg first I demand a performance to finish the job in Germany. Again, I get a response and Sam continues where he left off in the German Cup.

Scoreline: 5-1

Goals: Sam (1, 8), Derdiyok (22, 38), Kiessling (81) ; Rigamonti (54)

Sunday 22nd August 2010 - First Division 1/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Wolfsburg

I go into the game playing 4-4-2 but an early injury to Derdiyok forces a reshuffle to 4-2-3-1 as Zaki only signed 2 days ago. His replacement Renato Augusto is also injured before half time so I'm happy to go in all square. We start the 2nd half well, Kiessling keeping up his run of goals, and we could have added more by the end.

Scoreline: 1-0

Goals: Kiessling (48)

League Position: 6th

Wednesday 25th August 2010 - EURO Cup, 4th Qualifying Round, 2nd Leg

Luzern (Switzerland) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

With the tie sewn up I make 10 changes but it almost comes back to haunt me as Luzern dominate the game and are within a goal of taking the tie to extra time. Thankfully, the board and fans concentrate on the fact we have qualified, which results in us being seeded 2nd in a group alongside Sporting Lisbon, Feyenoord, and Montpellier.

Scoreline: 4-1 (Bayer Leverkusen win 6-5 on aggregate)

Goals: Meuwly (19, 40, 90), Hindermann (50) ; Yoda (35)

Saturday 28th August 2010 - First Division 2/34

Schalke 04 vs Bayer Leverkuson

With my best 11 reinstated, I am expecting a tough test away at Schalke. Barnetta's free kick is headed home by Reinartz and there are chances at both ends before Kiessling gets across his marker at the front post to meet Sam's cross. We control the game and cruise through the second half to a very satisfying victory.

Scoreline: 0-2

Goals: Reinartz (19), Kiessling (28)

League Position: 3rd

Manager Comments

I am very happy with a faultless start to the league season and I'm on track at this early stage to achieve my objectives although Luzern gave me a scare. I am alternating between a 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1 formation and not decided on which one brings the best out of the players yet, although the latter was to thank for the away win at Schalke so could become my slightly more reserved formation for the road and Europe.

Great thread title. :D Big club but actually a serious challenge, I took them in FM10 for 3 season or so, and never managed to win the league despite having clearly the best squad out of everyone... except Bayern Munich. :( It's probably not a coincidence the club never won a title. They're cursed!

I wouldn't sell Vidal like you did, but good luck.

September 2010

Saturday 11th September 2010 - First Division 3/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Hamburg

We had won both our games so far and Hamburg lost both of theirs so I should have seen this reverse coming. In truth, it was a poor match and despite brief spells of dominance at the start of each half, we never really got going and just as both teams had seemingly settled for a draw, Renato Augusto fouls in the penalty area and Van Nistelrooy sticks away the penalty.

Scoreline: 0-1

Goals: Van Nistelrooy pen (90)

League Position: 5th

Thursday 16th September 2010 - EURO Cup Group E 1/6

Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) vs Feyenoord (Netherlands)

Again, we start the game sluggishly and Feyenoord twice hit the woodwork before Fer is not to be denied with a fine 25 yard strike. Despite a half time rollicking, more of the same ensues and it is not against the run of play when they score again. A disastrous start against my main rivals for qualification and I am forced to throw caution to the wind, introducing Zaki and Renato Augusto for Rolfes and Sam. It works as first Kadlec, and then Kiessling both score with headers. I decide to push for the winner but am happy with a draw in the end. Montpellier shock top seeds Sporting Lisbon in the other game and I have an away game in Lisbon next as this group looks a tad tougher already.

Scoreline: 2-2

Goals: Kadlec (75), Kiessling (84) ; Fer (38), Brouwers (68)

Group Position: 3rd

Tuesday 21st September 2010 - First Division 4/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Borussia Monchengladbach

I make 3 changes and freshen the team up with Zaki and Renato Augusto making their first starts of the season. It's a game we dominate from start to finish, although it takes two goals from distance to settle matters. 22 shots underlies our dominance and the scoreline should have been greater but Kiessling has an off day and forgets how to finish - hopefully temporarily!

Scoreline: 2-0

Goals: Barnetta (29), Ballack (74)

League Position: 4th

Saturday 25th September 2010 - First Division 5/34

Eintract Frankfurt vs Bayer Leverkuson

Both teams play 4-2-3-1 and it produces a vastly entertaining game with chances aplenty at both ends. We're on top in the first half but I get the feeling it could be one of those days when first Ballack has a penalty saved and Hyypia hits the bar from a corner. Frankfurt have their chances too, particularly ex-Leverkuson man Gekas who obviously has a point to prove. Kiessling gives us the lead just after half time, but a header from a free kick that looked suspiciously offside restores parity for the hosts. However, just 2 minutes later Kiessling is fouled when in on goal and Frankfurt are down to 10. I switch to 4-4-2 and Barnetta fires in a free kick 5 minutes later. Frankfurt aren't finished though and have the better of the last 15 minutes despite the man disadvantage. Just as I think the game is won, in stoppage time, we needlessly give the ball away and suddenly Frankfurt have 3 on 2. The ball is played across area to Gekas who, with Adler scrambling across his goal, can only hit the side netting. Phew!

Scoreline: 1-2

Goals: Russ (66) ; Kiessling (52), Barnetta (73)

Thursday 30th September - EURO Cup Group E 2/6

Sporting Lisbon (Portugal) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

On paper this is the toughest assignment in the group and the match starts frantically with chances at both ends coming thick and fast. Despite instructing my players to show Mathias Fernandez onto his weaker foot, he is allowed to shoot and find the corner from 20 yards. I am happy with the response and we find an equaliser before half time when Friedrich heads home a Barnetta corner. At half time I decide to tighten up and as a result the second half is much quieter. Over the 90 minutes, we edge the game but I would have taken a draw before kick off. Feyenoord beat Montpellier in the other game.

Scoreline: 1-1

Goals: Matias Fernandez (23); Friedrich (34)

Manager Comments

After the poor start to the month, the team seems to have gotten into its stride and I am happy with the performances in recent weeks. Tranquilla Barnetta has had a superb run recently and seems to be always involved in our goals. I'm a little concerned with the lack of depth on the wings, as Jorgensen is injured for 3 months with a broken ankle. I am having to preserve Barnetta and Sam as much as possible and hope I can get a backup in January. 2nd choice Right Back Daniel Schwaab has handed a transfer request in as he is unhappy with his contract. I have accepted as I have backup in the under 23s and a decent 2nd choice currently on loan, in addition to promising youngster Da Costa, who is attracting interest from Manchester United. In other news, Michael Ballack's strike in the 2-0 win over Gladbach is voted 3rd in German Goal of the Month.

October 2010

Sunday 3rd October 2010 - First Division 6/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs FC Nurnberg

Again, I decide to rotate and leave out Sam, Kiessling and Ballack but am still confident we have enough to see off Nurnberg. I need not be worried as the opposition are blown away in a first half where we have 17 shots and are 4 goals to the good. I rest Barnetta and Renato Augusto in the 2nd half and we cruise through to seal an emphatic victory.

Scoreline: 4-0

Goals: Derdiyok (19, 34, 43), Barnetta (37)

Wednesday 6th October 2010 - First Division 7/34

Bayern Munich vs Bayer Leverkusen

Billed by the media as going a long way to deciding the title maybe a little premature, but this is undoubtedly the biggest game of my short tenure to date. Predictably Bayern have much of the play but the first big chance falls to Sidney Sam after a long ball from Castro. His low shot is well saved and the home side are largely restricted to long shots in the first half barring Ribery, who wastes a good chance. It is approaching the hour mark when substitute Mario Gomez converts a 1 on 1 with Adler. I decide against immediate change and Kiessling reacts first in the box after a long throw to head an equaliser. Bayern retake the lead after Gomez is again put through and he seals his hattrick with a header from a free kick. We didn't do enough attacking wise in the game and the scoreline is a fair one.

Scoreline: 3-1

Goals: Gomez (58, 75, 85) ; Kiessling (65)

Saturday 16th October 2010 - First Division 8/34

Stuttgart vs Bayer Leverkusen

We get off to the perfect start when Ballack scores an early penalty and it turns out to be the only goal in what could have been a tricky game. Thankfully, it's the best way to bounce back from the Bayern defeat although we drop a place due to Hoffenheim's 4-1 win putting them above us on goal difference.

Goals: Ballack Pen (5)

Thursday 20th October 2010 - EURO Cup Group E 3/6

Montpellier (France) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

Having dropped points in both of our first two games, we cannot afford to lose this one and the teams are evenly matched with Montpellier's home advantage. The hosts are reduced to 10 on 13 minutes after a two footed challenge on Kadlec. Despite this we struggle to take hold of the game for the 2nd time this season against 10 men and the game remains even with chances at both end. In the end, no-one can break the deadlock and I can't argue with a 3rd successive draw in the competition. The other game is 0-0 so we are 3rd in the group at the half way stage, with Feyenoord top on 5, Montpellier 2nd on 4 and top seeds Sporting bottom with just 2 points.

Scoreline: 0-0

Goals:

Monday 24th October 2010 - First Division 9/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs FC Koln

A local derby is the best way to increase your popularity with the fans but for the second game running we cannot find the back of the net and this results in another 0-0 draw. We are restricted to long range efforts for much of the game and can only muster 2 shots on target all game. Koln aren't much better, although Podolski has the only clear cut chance of the game - a 1 on 1 with Adler with the keeper coming out on top.

Goals:

Wednesday 27th October 2010 - German Cup 2nd Round

Paderborn (German Second Division) vs Bayer Leverkusen (German First Division)

With many of the players jaded, I decide to take this opportunity to rest many of the first team but realise it will be no walkover against Paderborn, who are in the top half of the Second Division. In fact for large parts of the game, Paderborn match us and it is only the introduction of Ballack in the second half, and a perfect through ball to Kiessling that gives us victory by the smallest of margins.

Goals: Kiessling (74)

Sunday 31st October 2010 - First Division 10/34

Borussia Dortmund vs Bayer Leverkusen

Dortmund have endured a torrid start to the season and are still winless 9 games in. With our recent lack of goals, I am worried that we could be in for a hiding. The first half is fairly even with us just shading it. Barnetta and Yoda are causing problems on the wings so I encourage this further and within 5 minutes of the restart we are ahead through a world class 30 yard free kick from Barnetta. On 54 minutes Yoda is pushed in the penalty area and Rolfes scores the penalty completing a dream start to the half. On 72 minutes, Nuri Sahin scores from the edge of the area as we concede for the first time in almost 7 hours of football. This puts us in for a nervy last 15 minutes and it's 5 minutes into stoppage time before we finally seal the points as Reinartz heads in a corner.

Scoreline: 1-3

Goals: Sahin (72) ; Barnetta (49), Rolfes Pen (54), Reinartz (90+5)

Managers Comments

10 points from 5 games in the league isn't too bad a return and we are at least keeping pace with the leaders. Some of the traditional big clubs are far from the pace including Schalke, Stuttgart, Werder Bremen and Borussia Dortmund. Ahead of me, Bayern are unsurprisingly top but whether Mainz or Hoffenheim can keep up their early form will be interesting to track. From a financial perspective, we are losing money regularly with an average attendance of only 30,000 (that is stadium capacity) and a wage bill that has been exceeding the total income recently. It seems that Champions League qualification is a must to keep us on an even keel.

November 2010

Thursday 4th November 2010 - EURO Cup Group E 4/6

Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) vs Montpellier (France)

The return match against Montpellier was a must win and I let the team know before kickoff. We dominated the game, spurning chance after chance before Kiessling scores twice late on to put me 2nd in the group with 6 points from 4 games and a great chance of qualifying. Feyenoord away next, who are top whilst top seeds Sporting Lisbon are still bottom after losing 3-2 in Holland.

Goals: Kiessling (77, 87)

Group Position: 2nd

Sunday 7th November 2010 - First Division 11/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs St Pauli

A game that we are expected to win comfortable against the side propping up the First Division, and I get an early lead when Sidney Sam scores for the first time since the opening week of the season, heading in at the far post from Schwaab's deep cross. Unfortunately he is later stretchered off and will be out for 3 months with a torn hamstring. We cannot turn our dominance into further goals, and St Pauli give me a scare with a couple of late shots as we manage to hang on. A result we managed to grind out keeps us in touching distance of the leaders.

Goals: Sam (14)

Sunday 14th November 2010 - First Division 12/34

Mainz vs Bayer Leverkusen

Mainz have been one of the early season success stories but a win here would give us a 5 point cushion over the final Champions League position - my new target given the fact that my outgoings don't seem to be supported by the Euro Cup. Barnetta gives us the perfect start by firing in Kiessling's low cross, only for Schurrle to show me what I've to look forward to at the end of the season by cutting in from the left and finishing past Rene Adler. That's how it stayed until the 86th minute when Kiessling played a one two with Derdiyok, ran through on goal and kept his nerve to slot past the onrushing keeper. We hang on to win a close match.

Goals: Schurrle (29) ; Barnetta (2), Kiessling (86)

League Position: 2nd

Saturday 20th November 2010 - First Division 13/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Kaiserslautern

5 straight wins and morale in the camp is high so I am worried about complacency against 7th placed Kaiserslautern. I need not be worried however, as the score is 2-0 after a quarter of an hour thanks to goals from Reinartz and Kiessling. Ballack dictates the play well from the middle of the park and adds a stunning late third from fully 30 yards to put the icing on the cake and a 6th straight victory in all competitions. Hoffenheim and Bayern Munich both suffer surprising defeats and I am top for the first time this season!

Scoreline: 3-0

Goals: Reinartz (8), Kiessling (15), Ballack (90+2)

League Position: 1st

Saturday 27th November 2010 - First Division 14/34

Hoffenheim vs Bayer Leverkusen

Immediately after assuming pole position in the league comes a direct challenge away at 2nd placed Hoffenheim. I'm expecting a tough game and their in-form striker Ibisevic has the first big chance when Hyypia slips but Adler saves. Kiessling hits the post with a fierce shot before great link up play between Renato Augusto and Kiessling sees the German International give me the lead. Kiessling returns the favour in the next attack for Renato Augusto to claim his first of the season and on 39 minutes, Barnetta is through on goal only to be thwarted by an onrushing Hoffenheim goalkeeper. His clearance goes straight to Ballack however who, cool as you like, lifts the ball into the empty net from 30 yards. 3 goals in 9 minutes and the game is as good as over. Ibisevic has other ideas however, and pulls a goal back almost immediately with a fierce shot from the edge of the area. On the stroke of half time Barnetta hits the bar with a free kick, Kiessling's first rebound attempt hits the posit again but he makes no mistake with the 2nd and its 4-1 at half time! I tighten up in an attempt to see out the game but the team doesn't appear to be listening as Kiessling is played through within a minute of the restart and brought down in the area. He completes the hattrick from the spot and our deadly attacking continues late on when Barnetta finishes a low cross from Yoda. Even a late own goal by Reinartz forced by Ibisevic isn't enough to take the gloss off a stunning victory and suddenly we are 5 points clear. Could this be a dream first season!?

Scoreline: 2-6

Goals: Ibisevic (43), Reinartz o.g (90) ; Kiessling (28, 45, pen 46), Renato Augusto (34), Ballack (39), Barnetta (88)

Manager Comments

5 wins from 5 in all competitions and the month couldn’t have gone any better. I am top of the league and the team are performing really well. Despite only starting 3 games and not scoring yet, Amr Zaki has won the fans over and they now think he is a good signing. Strange, but I’m not complaining. I am also pleased to announce that key players Tranquillo Barnetta and Rene Adler have signed long term contracts with the club. Also, Stefan Kiessling's been on fire!!

Hope you are enjoying - comments welcome!

Hi Lenzar, thanks for commenting. I didn't realise Adler was one of the best keepers on the game but his quality performances were enough to earn a long term contract! Inter were tracking both Adler and Barnetta although I only received an offer for Barnetta.

Looking good. Particularly impressive results vs Dortmund and Hoffenheim. Europa League performance has been a little inconsistent, but other than that very good record so far. Keep going. :thup:

December 2010

Thursday 2nd December 2010 - EURO Cup Group E 5/6

Feyenoord (Holland) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

The first real chance of the game came on 18 minutes when van Stokkom was played in on goal, took it around Adler and looked certain to score before Reinartz slid in to prevent the goal. Feyenoord weren't denied 2 minutes later when Fer scored a superb goal from range, just like in the reverse fixture. I went more direct in the 2nd half and created more chances but it wasn't to be as Hyypia hit the post from a corner, and Karim Yoda headed over before turning provider as Barnetta managed to miss from 6 yards with a free header. We stay second as the other game ends in a draw and as long as we beat Lisbon we will be guaranteed passage to the next round.

Goals: Fer (20)

Sunday 5th December 2010 - First Division 15/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Werder Bremen

I am worried about the effects of having a European game late in the week and decide to rotate the squad, giving Jorgensen his first start of the season and resting Ballack, Kiessling and others. It is Jorgensen who has the best chance of the half firing wide after running through on goal. Derdiyok is also denied by the Bremen keeper and we go in all square. Jorgensen's lofted through ball sets Derdiyok clear and he makes no mistake to give us the win midway through the 2nd half and I'm delighted with another ground out victory.

Goals: Derdiyok (66)

Saturday 11th December 2010 - First Division 16/34

Hannover 96 vs Bayer Leverkusen

I have half an eye on the big game in Europe next week and so do the players it seems as Hannover take an early lead. With the home team struggling and in the relegation zone, there are strong words at half time and what follows is a much better 2nd half performance, culminating in an equaliser from Friedrich following a corner. We push on but can't find a winner but at least we extend our unbeaten league run to 9 games.

Goals: Schauldraff (18) ; Friedrich (65)

Thursday 16th December 2010 - EURO Cup Group E 6/6

Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) vs Sporting Lisbon (Portugal)

Only a win will guarantee us safe passage to the knockout phases so I wish the players luck and send out an attacking line up that is near enough at full strength. After an even 20 minutes, the visitors take the lead when Matias Fernandez's deflected shot hits the bar only for Marcelo Moreno to react fastest. We respond almost immediately and within 15 minutes are ahead after 2 goals from Barnetta free kicks. Firstly, Renato Augusto meets a right wing cross with a diving header before a quick free kick from the left finds Reinartz unmarked at the back post to make it 2-1. We dominate the rest of the half but cannot add to our lead. In the other game, Montpellier are comfortably ahead against the already qualified Feyenoord, so we cannot afford to concede again. We don't, despite a few nervy moments at the end.

Scoreline: 2-1

Goals: Renato Augusto (26), Reinartz (32) ; Moreno (21)

Sunday 19th December 2010 - First Division 17/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Freiburg

The players are looking jaded and despite this being the last league game before the winter break, I rotate most of the first team to try to avoid injuries to my key players. It is a quiet game until we are the benefactors of a generous penalty award which is scored by Schwaab. Our 2nd half display is poor however, and Freiburg gain a deserved point when Adler can only parry a shot straight to Anton Putsila who slots it in the empty net. A 2nd successive draw but we are still 4 points clear at the winter break - of course I would have taken that at the start of the season!

Goals: Schwaab pen (26) ; Putsila (68)

Tuesday 21st December 2010 - German Cup 3rd Round

Bayer Leverkusen (First Division) vs 1860 Munich (Second Division)

A favourable draw gives us the ideal opportunity to take advantage from the league break and we breeze into the quarter final with a dominant win. Barnetta gives us an early lead and the result is never in doubt as Castro doubles the advantage before the break. Friedrich ghosts in at the near post to head in a Barnetta corner and Rolfes completes the rout, arriving late in the area to meet Kiessling's cross. We are drawn away to Schalke in the quarter final. In the shock of the round, Bayern Munich lose at the First Division's bottom side St Pauli.

Goals: Barnetta (10), Castro (34), Friedrich (63), Rolfes (80)

Manager's Comments

The first 6 months of my reign at Leverkusen couldn't have gone much better. Top of the league and still in all competitions - I'm in danger of winning the league in my first season in charge!! I'm not expecting to be able to strengthen the squad in January but I am happy with the current crop. My priority would be a long term replacement for Ballack, who has played well but is 34 now and has 18 months left on the £100k a week deal, which at this stage I doubt I would renew.

January 2011

Transfers Update

On the first day of the window I receive an offer of £5.75 Million for Daniel Schwaab, which the board jumps in and accepts on my behalf. No problem as I would have accepted anyway, with Petsos due back from loan at the end of the season being an adequate backup for Castro. It does allow me to spend some cash and, with an eye on the future, I have spent over £6 Million.

In

Taufic Guarch (19 year old Mexican ST) - Estudiantes Tecos £1.8 M. Offered by his agent at the end of December Guarch has the potential to reach 4* ability according to my scouts and the Mexico under 20s captain is definitely one to watch. I will give him time to settle and I don't anticipate he will feature in the first team this season.

Daniel Kofi Agyei (19 year old Ghanian DM/MC) - Fiorentina £4.4M. Spotted by one of my scouts in Italy, Agyei has been touted in the media as the next Michael Essien. With Ballack, Balitsch and Rolfes all over 29, Agyei is another for the future who I expect to slot in alongside Lars Bender in the first team in years to come.

Out

Daniel Schwaab (22 year old German DR/WBR) - Roma £5.75M. Schwaab had started to impress towards the end of the year and I probably would have kept him, but this offer was too good to refuse and in the end I didn't have a say in it anyway. I'm happy that the overall squad has benefited from the replacements.

Sunday 16th January 2011 - First Division 18/34

Wolfsburg vs Bayer Leverkusen

The first game back from the winter break and it's a pretty dull affair with not many chances at either end. I'm happy enough with the performance though as we create two clear cut opportunities - the bit I'm not happy about is that we fluff them both and have to settle for a point.

Goals:

Saturday 22nd January 2011 - First Division 19/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Schalke 04

After a poor start to the season, Schalke have had a mini revival of late and I'm expecting a tough game. Despite having most of the play, we don't pressure Schalke enough in the final third and it is the visitors that take the lead on the stroke of half time when Huntelaar heads in a free kick. We press for an equaliser and are rewarded with another penalty when Reinartz is pulled down at a corner. Ballack does the rest but we can't find a winner and after a fine start to 2011 in Munich, we are only on top virtue of goal difference.

Goals: Ballack pen (82) ; Huntelaar (45)

Tuesday 25th January 2011 - German Cup Quarter Final

Schalke 04 vs Bayer Leverkusen

Our 2nd meeting in 3 days and I'm starting to think that the VELTNS arena is a lucky venue for us, as we sweep into the semi final with a comprehensive victory. After Derdiyok gives us the lead with an emphatic close range finish, the strikers’ presence forces Annan to put through his own net to make it 2-0. Kenia pulls one back with a superb curling shot but when Rolfes' 30 yarder makes it 3-1 the game is as good as won. Derdiyok adds a late 4th and we have a great chance to make the final after being drawn at home in the semi final, to Hoffenheim.

Scoreline: 1-4

Goals: Kenia (40) ; Derdiyok (15, 79), Annan o.g (29), Rolfes (62)

Semi Final Draw: Hoffenheim (h)

Saturday 29th January 2011 - First Division 20/34Hamburg vs Bayer Leverkusen

A goaless draw completes a miserable start to 2011 in the league as we end the month 2 points behind Bayern after being 4 points ahead at Christmas. Bayern haven't even conceded a goal so far this year and our next game, at home to Bayern, we cannot afford to lose. The game itself is poor with few chances, and I can't complain with the scoreline.

Goals:

Managers Comments

A poor start to 2011 has undone all our good work in the first half of the season. Hopefully, we can kick on from our German Cup triumph and this should give the players confidence.

February 2011

Saturday 5th February 2011 – First Division 21/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich

Billed as the game of season, the match certainly lives up to expectations. Both teams play a 4-2-3-1 formation and it makes for an open game with plenty of chances at both ends. Sam has an early chance but is thwarted by Butt and Adler denies Robben with a similar 1 on 1 chance. We take the lead when Barnetta’s 25 yard strike hits the crossbar and rebounds in off the goalkeeper. Our lead doesn’t last though as Ribery’s low cross is met by Robben as half time beckons. The second half is similarly open but Bayern have the best chances although, unlike in the reverse fixture, Gomez misses 3 simple chances and we escape with a draw. Having pinpointed him as the dangerman prior to kickoff, Gomez had admitted to feeling the pressure and it clearly affected his game. I am happy with a fifth successive league draw.

Goals: Butt o.g (34) ; Robben (44)

Sunday 13th February 2011 – First Division 22/34

Borussia Monchengladbach vs Bayer Leverkusen

Gladbach are the overachievers of the season so far and whilst we edge most of the stats in the game, Gladbach take the lead with the first clear cut chance as our defence is carved open for Reus to score. We switch to 4-4-2 immediately and Renato Augusto’s right wing cross is met by Barnetta for us to steal a point. Bayern win again to go top, and it’s our 6th successive league draw.

Goals: Reus (74) ; Barnetta (77)

Thursday 17th February 2011 - EURO Cup 1st Knockout Round 1st Leg

Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) vs FC Porto (Portugal)

We have clearly been struggling for a while now so I make a shift to the team instructions and opt for a much slower tempo with short passing. After a quiet opening, James Rodriguez scores a scorching 35 yard free kick. We slowly come into the game and I am happy with the performance although the closest we come is a disallowed effort from Barnetta. We face a tough 2nd leg to stay in the competition but I have to take the positives.

Goals: J.Rodriguez (9)

Sunday 20th February 2011 – First Division 23/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Eintract Frankfurt

The pressure is on after 12 dropped points from 6 games so I am delighted when we are gifted 2 early penalties by Frankfurt. Sidney Sam is a welcome return from injury and he converts both penalties. The game is an incredibly open one but 4 clear cut chances make 4 goals as Kiessling restores a 2 goal deficit early in the 2nd half after Frankfurt score from a corner before Hyypia volleys in at our attacking set play. We concede again from a corner but it ends a comfortable victory.

Scoreline: 4-2

Goals: Sam (pen 11, pen 16), Kiessling (46), Hyypia (67) ; Chris (45), Kohler (78)

Thursday 24th February 2011 – EURO Cup 1st Knockout Round 2nd Leg

FC Porto (Portugal) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

Despite the media and fans giving us no chance of progressing, I am quietly confident if we can replicate the performance of the first leg. Ballack gives us the lead with a world class strike from 30 yards and the fans are still celebrating when Reinartz slips and lets in Cristian Rodriguez to score for Porto. I bring on Barnetta at the break and he runs the Porto full back ragged. We have to wait until the 80th minute and a piece of magic by Sidney Sam, whose backheel lets in Renato Augusto on the right edge of area, his bullet strike past the keeper before he could move. I am particularly happy as I put him on finishing training recently as I had been disappointed with his record. Ballack missed a good chance to seal the win, Derdiyok hits the bar before Barnetta seals win in injury time unmarked at the back post from Sam’s right wing cross. Easily the best performance of the season so far.

Goals: C.Rodriguez (25) ; Ballack (20), Renato Augusto (80), Barnetta (90)

Next Round Draw – Glasgow Celtic (a), (h)

Manager Comments

I am hoping that the superb end to the month will really help us kick on towards the end of the season after a slow start to the 2nd half of the Bundesliga. I have a feeling that the league title race will go right down to the wire and with Bayern in the same competition as us, there will be too’s and fro’s along the way. Playing on Thursday and Sunday is having an effect on the players and I need to be careful and keep the best set of players available to give me the best chance of winning each game. Obviously the league is a priority but I don’t want to field a reserve side in the Cup competitions. Sidney Sam’s contribution when he came back from injury showed how much of an influence he had on our performances and it can’t be a coincidence that we have won our last two games he has played.

March 2011

An interesting piece of paper talk to start the month off. Next Barcelona Manager – Sam Allardyce? I wonder how Big Sam’s style would go down in Cataluña. Balloon and Lead spring to mind! I promoted Thomas Horster from Scout to Coach after a couple of clubs approached him and I realised he was a good tactical coach. It seems to be working as my Assistant Manager is now agreeing with all of the pre match advice and I can plan much better for games. The coaching needs a complete rework in the summer and this will be a priority at the end of the season. Bayern Munich have so many more coaches than me in all areas and that will make a difference long term. I will make a mini feature of any changes made in the off season.

Tuesday 1st March 2011 – German Cup Semi Final

Bayer Leverkusen vs Hoffenheim

In the league we thrashed Hoffenheim 6-2 away and from this I am confident of another victory. We dominate the game from the first whistle. Kiessling is set up by Zaki after half an hour to give us the lead. Hoffenheim have one clear chance but Obasi takes too long and Friedrich recovers. Kiessling returns favour in 2nd half and Zaki finally scores his first goal for Leverkusen to seal a comfortable win and passage to the cup final.

Goals: Kiessling (30), Zaki (67)

Next Round Draw: Borussia Monchengladbach (Final)

Saturday 5th March 2011 – First Division 24/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Stuttgart

We start well but Jorgensen blazes over a great chance to settle any nerves and Stuttgart come into the game. Adler prevents us from going in 1 down on 42 minutes, pushing Marica’s shot away. Stuttgart are reduced to 10 men when Khalid Boulahrouz is sent off for professional foul on Renato Augusto on the edge of area early in the 2nd half despite there being covering defenders. We pile on the pressure, but couldn't break through despite a string of corners and long shots. Into injury time, Jorgensen's 30 yard strike finally beats the Stuttgart keeper, and sends players, the manager and fans into raptures.

Goals: Jorgensen (90)

Thursday 10th March 2011 - EURO Cup 2nd Knockout Round 1st Leg

Glasgow Celtic (Scotland) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

We have the worst possible start when Traore scores a left footed free kick. I am impressed with our reaction and a sweeping move Barnetta accomplished finish from right. Towards the end of the half, Hooper’s shot is parried straight to Traore and it goes from bad to worse as Celtic sweep forward down our left, Butscher is skinned all too easily and Hooper finishes the move to make it 3-1 at the break. Despite this, I feel we aren’t out of it, and bring on Kiessling and Kadlec for Zaki and Hyypia. Kiessling heads in a free kick before he is put through by Renato Augusto and scores to make it 3-3. We aren’t finished and Friedrich wins it for us from a corner to complete a remarkable turnaround. There is no more scoring despite a frenetic finish with both sides feeling they could add more goals.

Scoreline: 3-4

Goals: Traore (6, 43), Hooper (45) ; Barnetta (10), Kiessling (51, 64), Friedrich (67)

Sunday 13th March 2011 – First Division 25/34

FC Koln vs Bayer Leverkusen

A big derby but with a tired squad I rotate and it affects us more than I expect and we play poorly. I think we do enough to draw the game but Koln's starman Podolski is a menace all day and it is his run and cross which sets up the winning goal. The fans and board are very unhappy with the performance and my only saving grace is that Bayern have a similar European hangover and can only draw at Nurnburg.

Goals: Freis (68)

Thursday 17th March 2011 - EURO Cup 2nd Knockout Round 2nd Leg

Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) vs Glasgow Celtic (Scotland)

I feel that despite the media predicting a close game, I should already be ahead by more in this tie and am confident of finishing it off quite early. With this in mind I name both January signings on the bench to try and get them experience. We control the game and run out 2-0 winners with goals in each half from Barnetta and Kiessling, whilst Daniel Kofi Agyei makes a promising 2nd half debut.

Scoreline: 2-0 (Bayer Leverkusen win 6-3 on aggregate)

Goals: Barnetta (26), Kiessling (72)

Quarter Final Draw: Bayern Munich (a), (h)

Possible Semi Final Draw: Athletico Madrid or Stuttgart (a), (h)

Sunday 20th March 2011 – First Division 26/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Borussia Dortmund

After a dreadful start where they were winless after 12 league games, Dortmund have gone on an unbelievable run and sit 7th in the league. I am worried this could be a tough game but lady luck plays a part as not only is Nuri Sahin injured, but Barrios and Goetze limp off in the first half and we are leading at half time through a Reinartz header. Renato Augusto adds a 2nd in the final quarter with a strike from the edge of the area before Derdiyok seals an impressive victory.

Goals: Reinartz (12), Renato Augusto (74), Derdiyok (77)

Wednesday 23rd March 2011 – First Division 27/34

Nurnburg vs Bayer Leverkusen

This is our game in hand over Bayern and we win by a single goal to move to within a goal of regaining the league lead. Ballack's first half header is cancelled out by Julian Schieber who is left alone at the back post to head past a helpless Adler. 2nd half sub Barnetta is brought down in the area and Ballack scores his 2nd to seal the victory.

Goals: Schieber (53) ; Ballack (34, pen 72)

Mangers Comments

Leverkusen have history of being in great positions before collapsing spectacularly in the final weeks of the season and come away empty handed for a season’s efforts. Take 2000 for example, when they needed only a draw against Unterhaching to secure the title but crashed to a 2-0 defeat that allowed Bayern Munich to overtake and win the league. 2002 was even worse – the club surrendered a five point lead atop the league table by losing two of its last three matches while Borussia Dortmund swept ahead with three consecutive victories in its final matches. If that wasn’t bad enough add in a German Cup Final defeat and Champions League Final defeat to Zidane and Real Madrid. No wonder it was dubbed “treble horror”.

Again, Leverkusen find themselves in a similar position – still in all competitions and doing worryingly well. Can we keep it up?

In other - more promising -news, Taufic Guarch has found his feet in our youth team and is looking a great prospect for the future.

April 2011

Sunday 3rd April 2011 – First Division 28/34

St Pauli vs Bayer Leverkusen

After a 10 day international break we face the Bundesliga's bottom club. With half an eye on Thursday's Bayern game, I rest several players and what I witness I cannot quite believe as we collapse to a 4-0 humiliation which is completely deserved as we are outplayed in every department. We miss our chance to retake the lead after Bayern's 2-2 draw the previous day.

Goals: Asamoah (pen 9, 31, pen 58), Naki (63)

Thursday 7th April 2011 - EURO Cup Quarter Final 1st Leg

Bayern Munich (Germany) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

This is probably the toughest tie I could have got bar Liverpool looking at the other quarter finalists and being away first I need to keep it tight. My coach is full of ideas to contain Bayern and my deep 4-2-3-1 formation which has been effective in other away games this season is effectively put into use again. Predictably, Bayern have most of the play but we restrict them to long shots and we grab an away goal on 65 minutes when Reinartz heads in a corner. Vrsaljko is sent off for the hosts but I am still wary that Bayern are more than capable with their players and I make the unforgivable mistake of making a double substitution whilst defending a late corner and Muller is allowed a free header to draw level at the half way stage in the tie.

Goals: Muller (85) ; Reinartz (65)

Sunday 10th April 2011 - First Division 29/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Mainz

I am forced to rotate with the 2nd leg of the EURO Cup on Thursday but we still dominate the game and I am a little perplexed to be 1-0 down at half time. I risk Barnetta and Sam for the 2nd half and it pays off when Barnetta fires in a free kick. Despite late pressure we can't force a winner. My rivals Koln do me a huge favour by beating Bayern 1-0 and we retake the lead in the title race.

Goals: Barnetta (79) ; Karhan (45)

Thursday 14th April 2011 - EURO Cup Quarter Final 2nd Leg

Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) vs Bayern Munich (Germany)

We take the game to Munich and dominate the opening quarter of the game. We can't make the pressure tell though and Castro scores a screamer to put Bayern in the ascendency. I am reluctant to change as we are playing well and my patience pays off when Sam crosses for Barnetta to head in at the back post and we quickly take the lead as Derdiyok's through ball is well finished by Renato Augusto. The lead doesn't last as Klose breaks the offside trap and rounds Adler and we can't force a winner so go out by the cruel away goals rule.

Scoreline: 2-2 (Aggregate: 3-3 - Bayern Munich win on the away goals ruling)

Goals: Barnetta (70), Renato Augusto (73) ; Diego Castro (29), Klose (77)

Sunday 17th April 2011 - First Divison 30/34

Kasierslautern vs Bayer Leverkusen

With one less competition to worry about, I am hoping that we can gain revenge on Bayern by beating them to the league title. Eren Derdiyok certainly means business as his two strikes give us a 2 goal half time lead. We are well worthy of the victory despite Lakic's late goal giving me a nervy last few minutes. Bayern let a 2 goal lead slip at Dortmund and the title is that little bit closer!

Goals: Lakic (71) ; Derdiyok (30, 37)

Saturday 23rd April 2011 - First Division 31/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Hoffenheim

Hoffenheim have been our guilty pleasures this season and we serve up another thrashing to total an aggregate score of 13-3 in 3 matches played this season. There are 3 goals in the opening 10 minutes as first Kiessling and Derdiyok give us a 2 goal advantage before Babel's fine solo effort pegs one back. We never look troubled though and when Ballack restores the advantage we go from strength to strength adding a 4th and 5th either side of half time to do our goal difference a world of good.

Scoreline: 5-1

Goals: Kiessling (3,70), Derdiyok (8), Ballack (18), Friedrich (43) ; Babel (10)

Saturday 30th April 2011 - First Division 32/34

Werder Bremen vs Bayer Leverkusen

Bremen are in serious danger of relegation but are up for the fight in an ill tempered affair. Derdiyok gives us a half time lead which we can't hold and, despite dominating the last 20 minutes, Derdiyok spurns our best chance when his header is saved deep into injury time. After Bayern win 2-0 at Mainz the next day, they go top on goal difference.

Goals: Derdiyok (38) ; Hunt (50)

Managers Comments

A disappointing start and end to the month coupled with the so near yet so far EURO Cup quarter final means April has been the worst month of our season. The fans must feel as if they have been here before and I have an uphill struggle to instil the belief to finally claim the first German title.

May 2011

Saturday 7th May 2011 - First Division 33/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Hannover 96

I need to keep up my superb home form this season to give us a chance of the title on the last day and we emerge from the weekend's results in pole position as we blast 4 past Hannover without reply and Bayern can only beat Kaiserslautern 2-1 on Sunday to give us a 2 goal advantage going into the last game of the season! The result is never in doubt after 2 Derdiyok goals in quick succession, whilst Friedrich and Kiessling score vital second half goals to put us top.

Goals: Derdiyok (27, 31), Friedrich (49), Kiessling (83)

And that was that. After 33 games, the difference between Leverkusen and Munich was 2 goals. A slender advantage to take into the last game and with both clubs away from home, it promised to be far from a straightforward stroll to the title. The final day fixtures are as follows: -

Freiburg (8th) vs Bayer Leverkusen (1st)

Hoffenheim (7th) vs Bayern Munich (2nd)

League Table

Saturday 14th May 2011 - First Division 34/34

Freiburg vs Bayer Leverkusen

Whilst ensuring that the players concentrate on the task at hand, I can't help but keep an eye on the other game at Hoffenheim, hoping that they give Munich a better game than they have given us this season. First blood goes to us as Derdiyok fires us in front but Cisse equalises just 6 minutes later. The action continues as the Swiss striker puts us back in front before half time. Meanwhile Mario Gomez has given Munich the lead at Hoffenheim and it's status quo at half time. Nerves creep into our play early in the 2nd half and before we know it, we are 3-2 down as first Cisse equalises with a curling effort before Schuster's free kick is headed in by defender Oliver Barth. Suddenly we have a mountain to climb and our only crumb of comfort is that we have just over half an hour to turn things around. We switch to 4-4-2 with Kiessling and Ballack thrown on and told to attack. Wave after wave of Leverkusen attack is denied by the hosts until, finally, a breakthrough. With 74 minutes on the clock, Kiessling rolls his marker on the edge of the area and fires an unstoppable shot past the Freiburg keeper to give us hope. I throw Barnetta and Sam further forward in a 4-2-4 as Bayern are still a goal to the good. With 2 minutes remaining, and the Leverkusen fans contemplating failure again, the live league table suddenly shows us top. The away support goes wild as the news filters around the ground that Hoffenheim have scored an 88th minute equaliser. We still have to go for it, but Derdiyok can't find a winner and we have to rely on the result from the Rhein-Neckar-Arena.

Scoreline: 3-3

Goals: Cisse (23,53), Barth (57) ; Derdiyok (17,27), Kiessling (74)

Hoffenheim 1-1 Bayern Munich

Bayer Leverkusen are Champions.

Saturday 21st May 2011 - German Cup Final (Olympiastadion, Berlin)

With Leverkusen's first domestic title wrapped up, I have the chance to enhance my already burgeoning reputation and make it an unforgettable season for the club with a league and cup double. We start well but Sam fires wide after a good run. Disaster strikes on 26 minutes when Marco Reus goes over and the referee awards a penalty. De Carmago does the rest and it's 1-0 at the break. We attack in the 2nd half but on the break Reus seals the victory by jinking inside Castro and firing past Adler to cap a man of the match display. Despite having more possession and shots, Gladbach deservedly win the cup with more incisive play in the final third and a successful season ends on a sour note.

Goals: de Camargo pen (26), Reus (74)

Managers Comments

Wow, what an unbelievable first season. It had more twists and turns than even the most elaborate of scripts but that is the beauty of football. I have entered Leverkusen folklore by becoming the first manager to lift the league title for the club. Whilst I am disappointed not to add the German Cup to the league success, it has left me hungry for more success with the same club. The summer priorities will be to bolster the squad with an emphasis on the future and revamp the training and coaching arrangements at the club.

END OF SEASON REVIEW

Board Expectations

EURO Cup - Reach 2nd Knockout Round. Overachieved - Reached Quarter Final

League - Compete alongside top teams. Overachieved - Won League Title

German Cup - Quarter Finals. Overachieved - Reached Final.

Leverkusen Team of the Season

Key Men

Defence

Rene Adler - The German International was an ever present, earning a new long term contract in the process.

Stefan Reinartz - The rising star in defence had an impressive season and complemented Friedrich perfectly at the heart of defence.

Midfield

Tranquillo Barnetta - 13 goals and 18 assists from midfield were a vital contribution, and I am expecting more bids in the summer.

Renato Augusto - The 24 year old will continue to improve and his eye for a pass resulted in 13 assists.

Sidney Sam - Almost as dangerous as Barnetta on the other flank - we missed him in the middle of the season when he was injured.

Attack

Stefan Kiessling - Started like a house on fire, had a dry patch in the middle before coming back strong at the end of the season.

Eren Derdiyok - After a slow start to the season, Derdiyok scored some crucial goals in the run in.

Player Stats

July 2011

Summer Transfers

Out

17 players were not retained after their first professional contracts expired.

Kevin Kampi (20 year old Slovenian MRC,AMRC) - The Slovenian International is still a long way from the first team and I have agreed to loan him to Huddersfield Town.

Burak Kaplan (21 year old Turkish AMR, MRLC, AMLC) - After spending all of last season on loan Standard came in with a bid early and I felt £1.8 Million was a fair price for an area that I have good options for in the squad.

Thanos Petsos (20 year old Greek DRLC, DM/MC) - Spent all of last season on loan and I was looking forward to getting him back to provide good competition for Castro. However, Mainz offered £1.2 Million just to take him on loan and I decide to accept, leaving me with just young Da Costa to cover Castro.

Bastian Oczipka (22 year old DL/WBL) - Another that spent last season on loan and with Digne signed up I decide to offload Oczipka and Nurnburg win the race for his signature, worth £950k.

Total Income: £4M

In

Andre Schurrle (20 year old German AML,ML,AMR,ST) - A £7 Million signing from Mainz looks a quality signing and means the left hand side of attack is well stocked with Barnetta and Jorgensen already having shown their quality.

Bernd Leno (19 year old German GK) - Signed from Stuttgart for £325k, Leno will be 3rd choice behind Adler and Giefer.

Philipp Klement (18 year old German DM/M/AMC) - Signed on a free transfer after being released by Kaiserslautern, Klement has a 3* potential and with quality first team players in this position, Klement has every chance of developing into a good player.

Lucas Digne (18 year old French DL/WBL) - Spotted by one of my scouts in France, Digne is a pacy full back with potential to be better than Kadlec.

Johannes Geis (17 year old DM, DRC, WBR, MC) - My fifth summer signing and youngest yet, Geis has been on my shortlist since January when I didn't have the funds to purchase him. He cost £1.1 Million but in a few years, I am hoping to develop him into a quality player.

Total Expenditure: £11.5M

With the signings made, I need to turn my focus to the coaching at the club to ensure that the £11.5 Million spent this summer is not ultimately wasted as the players don't develop into good enough footballers for Bayer Leverkusen, footballers that can compete in the upper echelons of European football, not just German football.

Coaching

Senior Team Training Levels 2010/11 Season

Senior Team Training Levels After New Signings

Youth Team Training Levels After New Signings

Coaches Ins and Outs

This was about as far as my budget could stretch, and it seems a significant improvement on what was occurring before. We are still dwarfed by Bayern Munich in terms of numbers of staff but again I think this is a long term project and I am happy with the foundations laid.

Manager Comments

As you might gather, I have become rather attached to Leverkusen already and despite achieving my initial objective of bringing domestic glory to the club, I feel that I need to repeat the successes in the coming seasons to prove that this wasn't a fluke and not down to the failures of others - Bayern Munich in this case!

In other news, I knocked back a significant bid for Tranquillo Barnetta for the 2nd season running and Chelsea bid £7.25M for Derdiyok, which I again turned down after scouring the market for replacements that simply weren't up to standard. AC Milan and Real Madrid both bid for Taufic Guarch, despite not playing for the first team yet, but their derisory £2 Million offers were barely what we paid so were immediately rejected.

NEW OBJECTIVES

Make Leverkusen into the team to beat in Germany - Carry on winning the German League and overtake Bayern Munich as Europe's leading German club.

Avenge the 2002 'Treble Horror' - Win the German title, German Cup, and Champions Cup in a season.

Develop the stature of the club - Increase stadium size and improve youth facilities.

Nice to see a manager in the Bundesliga. It's a fantastic and exciting league, hugely underrated in my opinion. I had a save with Dortmund when FM11 first came out, stayed for three seasons. Won the league in my 1st and 3rd, but couldn't make an impact in the Champions League at all really despite having Neymar on my books! I hope you fare better with Leverkusen. You've made some astute signings and will be following your career for sure.

Pre-Season Update - July 2011

I put a lot of effort into the playing squad and improving the club for the future this summer and I hope it will pay dividends in the medium to long term. Unfortunately I forgot to concentrate on the here and now and had to rely on friendlies that were offered to me - namely Hamburg, Everton and Barcelona - all away. I hastily arranged a friendly with Almeria whilst I was in Spain but it still looked rather light. We ended up losing 3 in 4 but the most promising perfomance was in the Camp Nou, where we matched a strong Barcelona side all game and unluckily succuumbed by 2 goals to 1. I'm not too worried as I always see pre-season as a fitness and experimental exercise.

Our first match of the season is the German Cup First Round. This year I will be looking to field a transitional squad in the tournament, with many of the promising youngsters given their first chance of senior action. We are given an away tie at lower league Bamberg.

Saturday 30th July 2011 - German Cup First Round

Bamberg vs Bayer Leverkusen

An ideal place to hand debuts to many new players and to run out such comfortable victors was pleasing. Zaki got the ball rolling with a fine strike before Schurrle stole the show and picked up the man of the match award for 2 goals. 3 players scored on their first team debuts.

Scoreline: 0-5

Goals: Zaki (4), Schurrle (19,37), Klement (51), Guarch (77)

2nd Round Draw: Karlsruher (a)

Manager Comments

Despite a poor pre-season on the field, I am hoping the squad will take the momentum from last season through into the new campaign. We have a fully fit squad to choose from which is always pleasing and an immediate chance for revenge for the German Cup Final defeat with the Super Cup game against Gladbach next.

August 2011

Saturday 6th August 2011 - German Super Cup (DKB-Arena, Rostock)

I felt like we gave Gladbach too much respect in the German Cup Final and they grew in confidence after our slow start. Determined not to let that happen again I field an attacking 4-4-2 formation with Kiessling partnering Derdiyok up front and it works as we dominate the first half and lead 2-0 at the break. Gladbach get a goal back midway through the 2nd half but we hold on for a deserved victory and a morale boosting start to the season - and another piece of silverware for the cabinet.

Goals: Ballack (22), Derdiyok (36); Hanke (66)

Friday 12th August 2011 - First Division 1/34

The curtain raiser for the new season has no shortage of goal opportunities for both teams but neither can find the target and despite Schalke having the better of the play and best chances, we hold out for a goalless draw.

Goals:

League Position: 10th

Sunday 21st August 2011 - First Division 2/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Borussia Monchengladbach (13th)

How on earth we do not score in this game I will never know. I don't think I will ever see a more one sided affair - 34 shots to 1 but we can't stick it in the net as Derdiyok is particularly wasteful. We also hit the woodwork 3 times including stoppage time when Zaki's 20 yard effort cannons back off the bar.

Goals:

League Position: 13th

Saturday 27th August 2011 - First Division 3/34

Stuttgart (4th) vs Bayer Leverkusen

We have a tricky away match at Stuttgart as we go in search of our first goal and win of the campaign but we don't have any luck and again squander a number of chances. Stuttgart come into the game and the killer goal comes on the stroke of half time. Kiessling and Derdiyok look short of confidence and I am seriously thinking about introducing Guarch for the next game.

Goals: Ilicevic (45)

League Position: 14th

Wednesday 31st August 2011 - First Division 4/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Energie Cottbus (11th)

I make changes after a dismal opening to the season but when Schurrle blazes over when through on goal I get the feeling of de ja vu. I need not be worried though as the new signing scores twice in three first half minutes to settle the early nerves. Kiessling, Reinartz and Barnetta add 2nd half goals to give us a long awaited first win of the season against one of the newly promoted sides.

Scoreline: 5-0

Goals: Schurrle (23,25), Kiessling (48), Reinartz (56), Barnetta (87)

Managers Comments

An extremely frustrating beginning to the defence of our title and I can't help thinking that a poorly structure pre-season on the pitch is to blame. I am hoping that the strong win over Cottbus can be our springboard. The Champions League draw has been made, and we are seeded 2nd in a group alongside Porto, Juventus and FC Lorient in what promises to be a tight mini league.

The transfer window was quiet with the big move being Marko Marin from relegated Werder Bremen to Hoffenheim - a player I was tracking if Barnetta was sold but with him and Schurrle, 3 left wingers would be overkill. Bayern were unusually quiet, only purchasing a goalkeeper in the summer. Their start to the season has been ominous however, 10 points from 4 games.

Newly promoted Augsburg have had a testing start to the Bundesliga, 4 straight defeats conceding 17 goals in the process.

I turned down bids of £7 Million for Lars Bender from Valencia, who I see as a key player for us over the coming seasons and £2.4 Million for Marcel Risse, who I have told to show me he deserves an improved contract as a result of the rejected offer.

September 2011

Saturday 10th September 2011 - First Division 5/34

Hannover 96 (3rd) vs Bayer Leverkusen

I decide to bring in young Guarch to freshen the front line and play 4-4-2. It seems to be working as Kiessling gives us an early lead, as we score a rare route 1 goal but a left footed volley from Schlaudraff brings Hannover level and they have the better of much of the game. On clear chances we should bring home the points, and Schurrle perfectly times his run to meet Sam's ball only for it to cannon back off the bar.

Goals:

League Position: 11th

Tuesday 13th September 2011 - Champions Cup Group A 1/6

FC Lorient (France) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

Again, we start well but can't capitalise as Rolfes sees an early penalty saved. To make matters worse, Reinartz scores an own goal and we lose our discipline a little and pick up a number of avoidable yellow cards. The 2nd half is more promising, but we can't find the back of the net enough at the moment and leave empty handed against the bottom seeds.

Goals: Reinartz o.g (22)

Saturday 17th September 2011 - First Division 6/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Freiburg (3rd)

High flying Freiburg are up next at the BayArena and my poor start to the season looks set to continue as, against the run of play, Pa**** Demba Cisse puts the visitors a goal to the good. We pile on the pressure in the 2nd half, hitting the woodwork 3 times before Barnetta cooly slots home after the Freiburg defence is carved open. We have to settle for a point but 25 shots to 2 again underlines our dominance.

Goals: Barnetta (84) ; Cisse (28)

League Position: 12th

Tuesday 20th September 2011 - German Cup 2nd Round

Karlsruhe (Second Division) vs Bayer Leverkusen (First Division)

With my policy of giving youth a chance in the cup allows many of the regulars a short break but the poor performance does nothing for my mood as we are outplayed in almost every department by 2nd Division Karlsruhe. We are lucky to be level when, with the game heading towards extra time, substitute Andre Schurrle races clear and smashes the ball into the goal to win the game.

Goals: Schurrle (90+3)

3rd Round Draw: TSV 1860 Munich (a)

Saturday 24th September 2011 - First Division 7/34

Bayern Munich (1st) vs Bayer Leverkusen

With just 1 win in 6 games, the heat is really on to get at least a point from Bayern Munich, even if we are away from home. We settle into the game playing counter attacking football and predictably Bayern have most of the play. As in the same fixture last year, Gomez gives Bayern the lead midway through the 2nd half with a superb finish, so I am forced to throw caution to the wind. With 4 minutes to go we are rewarded when a long ball from Castro sets Kiessling clear and when his shot is parried, Schurrle is on hand to score. I urge the players forward to try and steal it and can't believe our luck as Sidney Sam's low ball is met right on cue by Derdiyok, who rifles the ball low past Kenneth Vermeer.

Goals: Gomez (67) ; Schurrle (86), Derdiyok (90+4)

League Position: 9th

Wednesday 28th September 2011 - Champions Cup Group A 2/6

Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) vs FC Porto (Portugal)

I make 3 changes from the Bayern game to keep the team fresh as Derdiyok, Sam and Bender earn starts and the team carries on from where they left off in Munich as we storm into a 2 goal lead. Just as we take our foot off the gas, Porto remind us of their quality and 1 attack equals 1 goal as N'Doye capitalises when we fail to clear the ball properly. We get the all important 3rd from the penalty spot shortly into the 2nd half and substitute Jorgensen seals a healthy victory with a long range effort.

Scoreline: 4-1

Goals: Schurrle (7), Derdiyok (10), Rolfes pen (50), Jorgensen (76) ; N'Doye (20)

Group Position: 1st

Manager Comments

After a tricky start to the month, the win over Karlsruhe galvanised the club and victories over Bayern Munich and Porto are two of the highlights of my tenure to date. It is our first victory against Bayern at the 5th attempt and the league table is looking far more managable now. A couple of victories and we'll be right amongst the leaders again.

Andre Schurrle has had a superb start to his Leverkusen career and the depth of attacking options at the club is particularly pleasing.

Even the finances are looking very healthy, with the big boosts coming from prize money for winning the First Division and qualifying, and subsequently participating in, the Champions Cup.

October 2011

Saturday 1st October 2011 - First Division 8/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs FC Augsburg (17th)

Having eased the pressure with 3 wins on the bounce in all competitions we throw it all away against Augsburg who have yet to win this season. I have to take most of the blame as I rotated a majority and we were thoroughly outplayed by Augsburg. Despite the generosity of the referee in awarding 2 penalties to the visitors, we are taught the lesson that there are no easy games at this level. All I can say is this was embarassing!

Scoreline: 0-3

Goals: Thurk (pen 29, pen 45+3), Hain (55)

This was a pretty shocking defeat I know, but the outcry in the midst of the result has been ridiculous. 3 players have come to me unhappy with my management style and first choice right back Gonzalo Castro has demanded a transfer. I wouldn't mind, but 2nd choice Vida was also unhappy and complaining leaving me with 19 year old Nauber as my only right back. I did manage to convince Renato Augusto that we would turn our form around.

Saturday 15th October - First Division 9/34

FC Cologne (10th) vs Bayer Leverkusen

We start brightly but Cologne take the lead and Podolski is predictably involved - causing problems down the left and his low ball was turned home from close range. Despite the scoreline I am happy with how we are playing, and the patience is eventually rewarded when Schurrle reacts first from Sam's crossbar bound effort to equalise. Despite late pressure, we can't find a winner and I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't to be our season.

Goals: Peszko (10) ; Schurrle (61)

League Position: 12th

Wednesday 19th October 2011 - Champions Cup Group A 3/6

Juventus (Italy) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

We make the worst possible start to the game, conceding from 2 corners within 10 minutes of kick off. To make matters worse, just as we are getting a foothold in the match, Piatti scores from the edge of the area and the game is as good as over. I decide to switch to 4-4-2 at the break and the introduction of Kiessling gets me a goal back. The joy is short lived however as Iaquinta scores from 25 yards. Kiessling bags a 2nd, and Derdiyok misses a golden chance to make it 4-3 with 15 minutes to go but blazes over and the rest of the game is uneventful. With Porto and Lorient drawing, we are bottom of the group at the halfway stage.

Scoreline: 4-2

Goals: Kadlec o.g (3), Chielini (7), Piatti (30), Iaquinta (52) ; Kiessling (50,60)

Group Position: 4th

Saturday 22nd October 2011 - First Division 10/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Borussia Dortmund (5th)

It's important to register another league victory as soon as possible. I attack from the off, with Kiessling and Derdiyok starting, and they link up well as Kiessling gives us the lead. It is an even first half however, and Dortmund deserve their equaliser just before half time. I am worried this may knock our confidence but, in a rare start, Hyypia heads home a corner and Reinartz heads home a late free kick to seal an important, if not pretty, win.

Goals: Kiessling (28), Hyypia (70), Reinartz (90+1); Barrios (44)

Tuesday 25th October 2011 - German Cup 3rd Round

TSV 1860 Munich (Second Division) vs Bayer Leverkusen (First Division)

Having been humbled in the league after making too many changes, I again make a similar amount of changes as I stick to my guns and give the youngsters an opportunity to impress. Unfortunately, they let me down and I am bitterly disappointed by the manner of the defeat as we play large parts of the match against 10 men. We take the lead through the one positive - Daniel Kofi Agyei - but to sucuumb to 2 second half Munich goals. I can't complain as the second division side are the better team over 90 minutes.

Goals: Buck (52), Coulibaly (78) ; Kofi Agyei (42)

Saturday 29th October 2011 - First Division 11/34

Mainz (12th) vs Bayer Leverkusen

Mainz are 5 games without a win coming into this game and I am looking to get back on track. I ditch the conservative 4-2-3-1 in favour of the traditional 4-4-2 again and, whilst it makes for an open game, we have the better chances and create more of them, running out 2-0 winners courtesy of second half goals from Kiessling.

Goals: Kiessling (64,90)

Manager Comments

I was expected to make the German Cup Semi Final at the very least - so a 3rd round exit is bitterly disappointing, particularly the manner of the defeat which has confirmed to me that not many of the younger players are anywere near good enough for the first team as yet. The league form has shown signs of improvements when the first eleven has played but my lack of depth in defence is starting to show and the 4-2 defeat at Juventus has put my hopes of progression in the competition in serious jeopardy.

November 2011

Tuesday 1st November 2011 - Champions Cup Group A 4/6

Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) vs Juventus (Italy)

The return against Juventus could go a long way towards deciding how far we go in Europe this year. The answer is probably not far as defeat condemns us to bottom of the group with 2 games to play. My defence is leaking goals and I am in desperate need of re-inforcements. We concede early from a set piece as we did in Turin and, whilst we manage to level the game soon after, Juventus are always on top and it is no surprise that they retake the lead midway through the second half. Suddenly, we are all square when a lightning break sees Kiessling run free and score but it isn't to be our day as Krasic rises above Adler from a deep free kick to seal the victory for the Italians. Again, I can't complain with the result.

Scoreline: 2-3

Goals: Derdiyok (11), Kiessling (69) ; Amauri (7), Iaquinta (67), Krasic (81)

Group Position: 4th

Sunday 6th November 2011 - First Division 12/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Hamburg (8th)

Back to league action and we start the game well but not breaking through before half time is a concern. The fears are partially allayed 8 minutes after the restart when Kiessling scores again in the league but disaster strikes 7 minutes later when a long range Thiago shot finds the net. Hamburg finish the stronger side and I cannot blame Europe as the opposition played in the Euro Cup on Thursday and again I am disappointed not to take more. A draw keeps up our improved league form however, and the league is still quite tight, despite us being down in 11th.

Goals: Kiessling (53) ; Thiago (60)

Saturday 19th November 2011 - First Division 13/34

Eintract Frankfurt (14th) vs Bayer Leverkusen

We adapt to a 4-4-1-1 as I try Renato Augusto in an advanced playmaker role and can't quite believe the instant results as within 40 seconds we are a goal to the good thanks to the Brazilian's low drive. We dominate the early exchanges and add a second through Kiessling although are pegged back as the defence is once again breached but only due to a fine strike from Gekas. We complete a solid second half performance as Kiessling seals the win as he arrives on cue to meet Schurrle's cross. The seeds of recovery are there, mainly thanks to Kiessling - again!

Goals: Gekas (29) ; Renato Augusto (1), Kiessling (9,80)

League Position: 7th

Wednesday 23rd November 2011 - Champions Cup Group A 5/6

Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) vs FC Lorient (France)

Having lost 3 of the first 4 games in the competition, only a win will do against the French side. I send out my strongest line up and we dominate the first half, taking a 1-0 lead at the break thanks to Renato Augusto's low strike from the edge of the area. We tire in the second half but manage to restrict Lorient to few efforts and it's a comfortable 1-0 victory - if there can be such a thing. Going into the final game, our fete is in our own hands but we have to beat Porto in Portugal to progress.

Goals: Renato Augusto (18)

Saturday 26th November 2011 - First Division 14/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Hoffenheim (6th)

With a lot of tired legs from the midweek game, I am forced to rotate and, despite a reasonable start, we quickly find ourselves with a mountain to climb as Hoffenheim's quality striker Ibisevic scores twice in the space of 5 minutes and I am again bemoaning our defensive frailties. A half time rollocking improves the performance but it is only the introduction of Derdiyok and a switch to an unfamilar 4-3-3 which finally rewards our efforts as Zaki scores his first, and second league goals of his Leverkusen career, in his second season. It has been a long time coming, although his chances have been limited thanks to my preference for 1 upfront and the form of Kiessling and Derdiyok. a draw is OK but we've had too many already this season and my prayers are answered deep into stoppage time as Ballack lets fly with one of his trademark strikes.

Scoreline: 3-2

Goals: Zaki (73,84), Ballack (90+2) ; Ibisevic (18,22)

Manager Comments

After a poor October, we really managed to turn the tables in November and are top of the form chart going into the end of the year. I have made a few tactical tweeks and used 4-4-2 more frequently with a slightly higher tempo game. Gonzalo Castro has withdrawn his transfer request thankfully and has been reinstated to the first team - a welcome return considering our weakness at the back this season. I'm glad we have given ourselves a chance of progressing to the knockout stages of the Champions Cup, and will be drawing inspiration from our 3-1 victory at Porto next season. I have overtaken Bayern Munich in the league but Wolfsburg, Stuttgart and Freiburg have made impressive starts to the season.

December 2011

Saturday 3rd December 2011 - First Division 15/34

Kaiserslautern (17th) vs Bayer Leverkusen

With my eye on the midweek game against Porto, I rest several first team attacking players against Kaiserslautern but ensure that my backline is as strong as it can be. It works as we run out 2-0 victors thanks to second half goals from Kiessling and his replacement Derdiyok. We control the game well and Kaiserslautern don't have a single shot on target over 90 minutes.

Goals: Kiessling (63), Derdiyok (90+3)

Tuesday 6th December 2011 - Champions Cup Group A 6/6

FC Porto (Portugal) vs Bayer Leverkusen

With us needing a victory, I opt for both Kiessling and Derdiyok but it is a quiet game until Porto take the lead from a corner after Adler comes for a cross but doesn't get there and Falcao scores. It goes from bad to worse when Kadlec pulls back Falcao in the box and the resulting goal gives us a mountain to climb. I push Schurrle and Barnetta into attacking positions but we can't claw one back before half time. Kiessling wastes two good chances after the restart and it isn''t to be our day. Despite substitute Ballack pulling a goal back with a great lob, we can't turn pressure into goals and we are unlucky to lose, despite a spirited performance. The result means we will have to settle for the EURO Cup knockout rounds after Christmas.

Goals: Falcao (27), Feindouno (pen 36) ; Ballack (65)

Saturday 10th December 2011 - First Division 16/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Wolfsburg (1st)

The league leaders and only remaining unbeaten side are the next opposition at the BayArena, and we bounce back from our Champions Cup exit with a win to put us firmly back into the title race approaching the halfway stage. Derdiyok gives us the lead with a fine low strike on 7 minutes but Wolfsburg's first real attack gets them a goal after shot comes back off the post straight to Diego whose first time shot goes into a gaping goal. My slightly adapted 4-4-2 (with Schurrle as AML rather than ML), pays dividends 5 minutes before the break as he arrives unmarked at the back post to finish Barnetta's low cross as we retake the lead. Both teams tire in the 2nd half and we record a vital victory which leaves us just 3 points off the pace.

Goals: Derdiyok (8), Schurrle (40) ; Diego (23)

Saturday 17th December 2011 - First Division 17/34

Nurnburg (17th) vs Bayer Leverkusen

Away to a side that is struggling is a perfect opportunity to sign off 2011 but we somehow find ourselves 3-2 down in the 2nd half after two own goals. The stats show that we should be clear winners but the most we can do is salvage a draw through a late Derdiyok goal. A frustrating end to to first half of the season.

Scoreline: 3-3

Goals: Kratz (52), Friedrich og (58), Renato Augusto og (75) ; Schurrle (11), Barnetta (67), Derdiyok (85)

Towards the end of last season, speculation was rife that Van Gaal wouldn't sign a new Bayern contract. Eventually he did, but their start to the season has been worse than ours and the prospect of a second trophyless season in Munich has led to his sacking. Roberto Mancini has taken over at the Allianz Arena.

Manager Comments

Another month of mixed emotions as we took 7 points from 9 in the league but we should have beaten Nurnburg, and we are out of Europe after Juventus and Porto qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions Cup. 2 days into the New Year, I was stunned to read this. After much thought, I turned it down as I still have a lot to achieve at Leverkusen and I don't want to move on too quickly.

January 2012

Transfers Update

It is a busy January as I have to fend off several bids for my players including Derdiyok, Reinartz and Bender, and enquiries regarding Kiessling and Schurrle. I have to offer Kiessling a new contract and the wage budget is nearing it's limit. I am looking forward to the end of the season when some of the high earners will be leaving on frees. I am desperate to shore up the defence and ask the board to sign a centre back I have been after for a while, Douglas. The price tag is hefty at £10.5M, so I hope he can add to the tradition of Brazilians that do well at this club.

In

Douglas (24 year old Brazilian DC) - Shakhtar £10.5M. I need this transfer to pay off, and I'm hoping that he can forge a solid partnership with Reinartz as Friedrich isn't getting any younger and Hyypia is due to retire at the end of the season.

Felipe (28 year old Brazilian DC/SW/DL) - Fiorentina £0. Always on the look out for a bargain, I manage to sign the Brazilian on a free to join at the end of the season from Fiorentina. Should provide good cover at the back and can also play at full back where I am a bit short.

Out

Fabien Giefer (21 year old German GK) - Barcelona £2M. I was not willing to keep Giefer after he expressed a desire to leave following an initial bid, but £2M seems a bit cheap.

Samed Yesil (18 year old Turkish ST) - AS Saint Etienne £300k. He never featured in the first team and is unlikely to make the grade so I decided to give Yesil a chance to ply his trade elsewhere.

Saturday 14th January 2012 - First Division 18/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Schalke

We get off to the perfect start when Sam's cross hits Papadopoulos and goes in. We dominate the game but can't add to the scoreline and survive a late scare when Adler saves from Gavranovic as the Schalke striker races clear.

Goals: Papadopoulos og (6)

Sunday 22nd January 2012 - First Division 19/34

Borussia Monchengladbach vs Bayer Leverkusen

Gladbach have been struggling this season but we can't break down their defence despite a 2nd half sending off for the hosts. We keep a second consecutive clean sheet which is a promising start to 2012 though I need to keep pace with the leaders.

Goals:

Saturday 28th January 2012 - First Division 20/34

The opposition are enjoying a much better campaign and are pushing Wolfsburg for 1st place at before the game so it is important for us to win and keep in the hunt. It's an impressive and convincing performance, as two second half goals underlies our patience and I'm happy that the players responded.

Goals: Stolz og (60), Barnetta (84)

Manager Comments

A promising start to 2011 and for a second successive month we take 7 points from 9 in the league - this time without conceding a goal.

February 2012

Saturday 4th February 2012 - First Division 21/34

Energie Cottbus vs Bayer Leverkusen

After a confidence boosting win over one of the title challengers comes a different test in relegation threatened Cottbus. Thankfully, we carry on where we left off against Stuttgart and totally dominate the game, coming off 3-0 victors. Schurrle scores the pick of the goals, as Renato Augusto's through ball carves open the defence and finds the German perfectly who takes it round the keeper and slots into the empty goal.

Goals: Kiessling (31), Kofi Agyei (47), Schurrle (56)

Saturday 11th February 2012 - First Division 22/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Hannover 96

At home to Hannover, who have a decent run of late, and it is an even game as the visitors clearly have some confidence. We still have the better of the game and better of the chances but a header from a corner early in the 2nd half is enough to win the game for the visitors. It's been a frustrating season in the sense that we seem to take two steps forward and really start to threaten the leaders before throwing away points where we are expected to win.

Goals: Chahed (47)

Thursday 16th February 2012 - EURO Cup 1st Knockout Round 1st Leg

Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) vs Valencia (Spain)

The 1st Knockout Round of the EURO Cup throws up one of the hardest ties. The visitors start the brighter and take the lead through Manuel Fernandes as he finishes following Juan Mata's run and cross. We slowly come into the game and are level on the stroke of half time when Friedrich heads home Barnetta's corner. It is a deserved equaliser but disaster strikes early in the second half. Mata has been causing Castro all sorts of problems, and he picks up a second yellow card for bringing the winger down on the edge of the box. It is the first red card of my tenure and we are still re-organising when hesitation in my defence allows Joaquin to steal round the back and poke home a low cross. Despite the man disadvantage we fight admirably and may have finished all square but Friedrich can't repeat his first half headed goal from a corner.

Goals: Friedrich (45) ; Fernandes (12), Joaquin (63)

Sunday 19th February 2012 - First Division 23/34

Frieberg vs Bayer Leverkusen

I am expecting a tricky tie due to playing another of the Bundesliga overachievers but when Friedrich gets a second headed goal in as many games, things are looking up. We tire in the 2nd half and Freiburg come storming back, gaining an equaliser and pushing for a win that would seriously dent our title hopes. Thankfully, we hang on and table toppers Wolfsburg are also held meaning we don't lose ground.

Goals: Rosenthal (68) ; Friedrich (22)

Thursday 23rd February 2012 - EURO Cup 1st Knockout Round 2nd Leg

Valencia (Spain) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

Despite being behind in the tie we need to keep things tight and give ourselves a chance in the game. Unfortunately, it doesn't work out as the hosts take the lead from a corner kick within 10 minutes. It doesn't chanage the situation much and I am happy with the way we are playing. Valencia are dangerous going forward but we actually edge the game on chances but can't score as Renato Augusto hits a post in the 2nd half and Derdiyok is denied twice in 2 minutes as time ticks on. Another European exit, and we have to concentrate on the league as our only hope of silverware.

Goals: Rami (9)

Sunday 26th February 2012 - First Division 24/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich

Games with Bayern are always worth watching and this turns out to be no different! After dominating the early exchanges, Toni Kroos curls in a 25 yard free kick but we hit back immediately as Derdiyok picks up Renato Augusto's pass and fires high into the goal. I encourage the team at half time and it works as we attack from the start of the half. We get a penalty when, after Schurrle's shot is parried, Derdiyok is brought down in the area. He dusts himself off to put us 2-1 up. Within minutes its 3-1 as Barnetta, not to be outdone by Kroos, scores from 30 yards with a free kick. Derdiyok wraps up the victory and his hatrick when he latches onto a long diagonal ball from Castro to shoot past Vermeer. It gets better and we are 5-1 up as Reinartz is left unmarked at a corner. Bayern pull a goal back late on but it's an emphatic victory.

Scoreline: 5-2

Goals: Derdiyok (22, pen 48, 59), Barnetta (54), Reinartz (67) ; Kroos (19), Olic (73)

Manager Comments

Despite Bayern Munich underachieving in the league again, it is still the big scalp, the most satisfying result and gives me the belief that we can win the league again. I actually think that the EURO Cup exit will help us as we have struggled after European games intermittently throughout my tenure to date and focus on a single prize whilst others are fighting on at least 2 fronts. I have to strengthen in the summer for and have a stronger squad for next season.

March 2012

Saturday 3rd March 2012 - First Division 25/34

Augsburg vs Bayer Leverkusen

I am after revenge for the terrible home fixture against Augsburg and we put in a solid performance, running out 2-0 victors. Douglas, impressive since his arrival, gets his first goal for the club and Schurrle seals the victory, coming inside onto his right foot and striking from the edge of the penalty area.

Goals: Douglas (51), Schurrle (89)

Saturday 10th March 2012 - First Division 26/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs FC Koln

Our main derby of the season and we always seem to struggle against Koln and Podolski. The German International gives the visitors the lead and, despite a rare Kadlec goal from left back as he dances round the goalkeeper to slot home, we have to settle for a point as we carve out chances but can't put them away.

Goals: Kadlec (27) ; Podolski (21)

Saturday 17th March 2012 - First Division 27/34

Borussia Dortmund vs Bayer Leverkusen

Away at underachievers Dortmund, we storm to a 2 goal lead within 10 minutes as Barnetta scores another free kick before Derdiyok is played in by the goalscorer to double our advantage. Barnetta has third disallowed and we are rampant until a rare Kadlec mistake, and Barrios scores from a low cross. Schurrle then misses a sitter and the leagues top scorers, Dortmund, control the game but we somehow hold on for what could be a vital victory.

Goals: Barrios (31) ; Barnetta (3), Derdiyok (7)

Tuesday 20th March 2012 - First Division 28/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Mainz

Coming only 3 days after dortmund, I instruct the team to attack from the first whistle and hope to wrap the game up early and rest players. Derdiyok bags another brace and when Reinartz heads in a 52nd minute corner the game is over and I move top for the first time this season as Stuttgart and Wolfsburg are in German Cup action - I've got the points on the board and have cranked up the pressure on my rivals.

Goals: Derdiyok (6, 27), Reinartz (52)

Saturday 31st March 2012 - First Division 29/34

Hamburg vs Bayer Leverkusen

In a carbon copy of the Dortmund game we get two early goals, firstly Barnetta finishes after a superb move culminating in Bender's perfect through ball. Derdiyok makes it 2 when his shot deflects in off a Hamburg defender. We proceed to soak up pressure and restrict Hamburg to long shots. They get 1 back late on through a volley but we see it out for another victory.

Goals: Alex Silva (84) ; Barnetta (15), Mathieson og (19)

Manager Comments

With the focus narrowed, we have produced a good run to give us the best chance of pipping Wolfsburg to the title. It is obvious that when my first eleven is fit, we can beat anyone but the lack of depth in the squad will be addressed in the summer. I have a list of targets and defence is where I will focus as we need bodies, without diluting on quality.

April 2012

Saturday 7th April 2012 - First Division 30/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Eintract Frankfurt

Another early goal sets us on the way to a fourth consecutive victory when Barnetta latches onto Renato Augusto's through ball. We control the game, and whilst it's not all one sided, we deserve the 2-0 result, achieved when Frankfurt give away a cheap penalty and Derdiyok does the rest. The strain of being in 3 competitions has hit Wolfsburg, they crumble to a 4-0 home humiliation against Hoffenheim and I am 4 points clear having played a game more. They do win their game in hand 3 days later to go within a point of us.

Goals: Barnetta (5), Derdiyok pen (70)

Saturday 14th April 2012 - First Division 31/34

The hosts have impressed this season and coming off the 4-0 win at Wolfsburg, I'm expecting a tough game. I set up to operate on the counter and it is effective as we restrict Hoffenheim for the vast majority of the game, although our attacking output is limted. With Schurrle, Barnetta and Derdiyok all subbed I am settling for a point when, in the 92nd minute, Rolfes intercepts in midfield, plays it through to Kiessling who finishes low past the goalkeeper. The goal keeps us on top and secures Champions Cup football for another season.

Goals: Kiessling (90+2)

Sunday 22nd April 2012 - First Division 32/34

If we don't win the league this season, I have no doubt it will be due to our wastefulness in front of goal. The visitors cannot muster a single shot in 90 minutes which is the reason why they are 2nd bottom but we cannot score, wasting 4 clear cut chances. Wolfsburg had already ground out a victory the day before so we drop a place.

Goals:

Saturday 28th April 2012 - First Division 33/34

Wolfsburg vs Bayer Leverkusen

Billed as the title decider, it will be if the home side get a win. Wolfsburg were beaten by Real Madrid in Europe in midweek so my players are much fresher and I aim to keep things tight in the first half and hope to cash in on tired legs in the 2nd half. Wolfsburg gift us a penalty within 10 minutes but Rolfes effort is saved, and when Benaglio denies Sam minutes later, I am wondering if this another of those days where we can't score. My fears are allayed in the 37th minute when Barnetta slides in to finish Sam's low ball. We easily contain Wolfsburg in the 2nd half but it's still nervy at 1-0 until 2 minutes from time when we get another penalty!! Rolfes again steps up and, after what seems to be a lifetime, tucks it away and the title is within touching distance!

Goals: Barnetta (37), Rolfes pen (89)

Manager Comments

Securing Champions Cup football is an absolute necessity and I will be able to significantly strengthen in the summer and following January due to the prize and tv money received from taking part in the competition. I have used Ballack, Hyypia and Balitsch sparingly this year, as the control of the wage budget needs to be wrestled back to a more manageable level, whilst still being able to bring in more players.

May 2012

Saturday 5th May 2012 - First Division 34/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Nurnburg

Home to a side in the relegation zone looks good on paper but with relegation a reality if they lose, it isn't going to be as easy. We dominate the first half but don't breakthrough until stoppage time when Sidney Sam chooses the ideal time to get his first of the season. Kiessling doubles our advantage early in the 2nd half and the title is ours again. I can even afford subbing Rolfes, Barnetta and Kiessling so they can take the plaudits and Schurrle puts the icing on the cake with a run and finish 5 minutes from time.

Goals: Sam (45+1), Kiessling (54), Schurrle (86)

Bayer Leverkusen are Champions

Manager Comments

We never made it easy for ourselves and left it late but perfectly late in the end to surge ahead and claim 2 out of 2 league victories. The early exits from the cup competitions definately helped us as the form showed through the latter stages as we claimed 9 wins and 2 draws from the final 11 league games.

END OF SEASON REVIEW

Board Expectations

Champions Cup - Reach Knockout Stages. Failed - Knocked out at Group Stage and lost in 1st Knockout Round of EURO Cup

League - Title Challenge. Overachieved - Won League Title

German Cup - Semi Finals. Failed - Knocked out in 3rd round.

Leverkusen Team of the Season

Key Men

Rene Adler (27 year old German (9 caps) GK) - We had the best defence in the league and this man was again a key part of it.

Douglas (24 year old Brazilian DC) - The January signing made us much more solid at the back and if we had him in the first half of the season, we would have qualified for the knockout rounds of the Champions Cup.

Andre Schurrle (21 year old German AML/ML/ST/AMR) - The summer signing was a revelation with his direct attacking style. 13 goals and 5 assists from the left wing.

Tranquillo Barnetta (27 year old Swiss (76 caps/11 goals) AML/MRL/AMR) - Relocated to the right wing due to the arrival of Schurrle but was just as good with 9 goals and 12 assists. My favourite player.

Player Stats

Manager Comments

Whilst retaining the league title was a fantastic achievement, we have actually fallen in the European rankings and now sit 37th. I was named Manager and Players Manager of the Year, whilst Eren Derdiyok picked up Striker of the Year justifying my decision not to sell him. We need to strengthen the squad to be able to challenge on all fronts next season.

That was tight, but well done. I think your team needs top players to make the next step in Europe, although I understand why you're buying youngsters instead, because long-term that tends to be the best strategy in FM. How's your finances and transfer budget like?

Pre-season update - July 2012

Summer Transfers

Outs

Leaving after their contracts expired were Hyypia, Ballack, Balitsch, Sukatu-Pasu, Nauber, Steffan, Risse and Butscher, which has saved me close to £200k per week in wages.

Kevin Kampi (21 year old Slovenian MR/MC/AMRC) £525k Karlsruhe - Not part of the first team plans and not quite good enough even as a backup player, I wish Kampi all the best at Bundesliga new boys Karlsruhe.

Amr Zaki (29 year old Egyptian ST - 76 Caps, 37 Goals) £600k Xerex - With my preference for 1 up front, Zaki's appearances have been limited in the 2 years he was at Leverkusen. Scored 2 crucial goals in a win over Hoffenheim this season but offloaded at the players request.

Stefan Reinartz (23 year old German DC/DMC/MC - 1 Cap) £12.5M Sevilla - I wasn't planning on selling the Fans Player of the Year. Not an easy decision to make and I'm still not sure it's the right one but £12.5M is a lot to turn down for a centre half. I hope others can step up.

Phillipp Klement (19 year old German MC/DMC/AMC) £150k Loan Bochum - In the second tier of German football, I'm hoping Klement can kick on because his development has stalled somewhat since joining.

Niko Opper (20 year old German MC/DMC/AMC) Loan Alzenau - Won't be good enough at the top level, so I'm happy to let him further his career by any means possible.

Total Income: £13.75M

Ins

Ibrahim Afellay (26 year old Dutch AMC, MRLC, AMRL - 37 Caps, 1 goal) £2.7M Barcelona - Offered by his agent, Afellay is my steal of the summer. At 26 he is still in his prime and offers quality and versatility across the frontline. The kind of signing that will help me compete on 3 fronts.

Uche Ejiofor (16 year old German AMC, MRLC, AMRL) £1.3M Furth - 1 for the future, I love Ejiofor's stats as I think he can add something a little different in years to come if we can beef him up a bit.

Eliaquim Mangala (21 year old French DC/WBL/DM/MC) £1.8M Parma - The young Frenchman offers versatilty across the backline and I will also retrain to left back.

Denis (18 year old Spanish AMC/MC) £375k Celta Vigo - Another promising youngster was offered by his agent and at £375k I couldn't refuse. Will slot into a promising youth team nicely.

Sebastien Pocognoli (25 year old Belgium DL/WBL/ML - 15 Caps) £2M Standard Liege - Following the departure of Reinartz, I felt we needed another body at the back and having a natural full back was a key element in signing Pocognoli, a full International with Belgium.

Paolo Cortez (17 year old Spanish DRC, DL) £1.9M Racing Santander - The right back was wanted by several clubs and with the extra funds available from the Reinartz sale, I decided to go for the versatile defender. Chose us over Arsenal.

Total Expenditure: £10M

In addition to the summer signings, I also welcomed back 3 players that have been on loan for 2 years. The first, Jens Hegeler, established himself as a regular at Nurnburg and will offer some good cover at Centre Half and Defensive Midfield. Also returning to Leverkusen, albeit injured for the start of the season, is Japanese Midfielder Hajime Hosogai. He played just 10 times in 2 seasons for Augsburg and looks like he will be restricted to a similar backup role here. Finally, promising Croat Zvonko Pamic will be fighting for a place in the first team after I turned down in excess of £2M to see if he can make an impact. The 21 year old played 14 times for Freiburg last season and could be a good squad player.

I am happy with the assembled squad and it shouldn't show any cracks as obviously as last season when we had 2 games per week. I am hoping that the new faces will have the quality to allow me to rotate without sacrificing too many points.

Youth Intake

Always my favourite part of the season, there are a couple of promising youngsters to keep an eye on.

Pascal Neubauer (15 year old German ST) - Possibly the next Kevin Kuranyi according to his profile! He is also confrontational and voliatile so this could be an interesting development to track.

Norbert Sanger (15 year old German GK) - Could be the next Tim Weise. Another 15 year old looks to be a promising keeper.

Youth Team Review

Danny Da Costa - The first shining light in the youth team looks to be progressing nicely.

Lucas Digne - Was poor when trialed in the first team last season in the German Cup as I probably blooded him too early. Still a top prospect.

Andreas Adler - Came through last season and dubbed as the next Jurgen Kohler, Adler could be sent out on loan this season if I can get a good offer for him.

Review of Personal Objectives

Make Leverkusen into the team to beat in Germany - Two league titles in a row is good, development in Europe is the key moving forward.

Avenge the 2002 'Treble Horror' - I still think this is a couple of years away but you never know if we get a good run in the competitions. I have a feeling Bayern will put in their best season since I took over so far next year.

Develop the stature of the club - Youth facilities are being developed, but I think Leverkusen needs a bigger stadium to compete long term. Dortmund had a higher turnover despite not being in the Champions Cup.

Noikeee - Oh dear, my decision to sell Reinartz was before your advice. Hope I'm not left with a surplus of average defenders. Massive season ahead for Douglas, Felipe and Hegeler. Finances are looking healthy. We are 1 of 3 German clubs considered rich (Munich and Dortmund being higher). Dortmund managed a bigger turnover despite not playing in Europe last season thanks to their massive stadium I presume. I imagine next window will be quieter with a 1 or 2 expensive incomings.

Well, Pocognoli and Affellay are rather good signings, so your choices make financial sense even if it may unbalance the team slightly in the short-term. The new kids look good too, I like Ejiofor particularly.

August 2012

Board Expectations

First Division - Challenge for the title.

German Cup - Reach Final

Champions Cup - Reach 1st Knockout round.

After last season's poor pre-season programme, I organise 6 games with the idea of using 2 sets of players - 1 first team and 1 development. The results were promising, as we went through the whole pre-season unbeaten and took some confidence into the start of the season. The board's expectations are reasonable and I'm hoping that the assembled squad can be successful on all fronts.

Saturday 11th August 2012 - Super Cup (Hohentwielstadion, Singen)

The board aren't bothered about the Super Cup but I send out my strongest line up to make sure that the first team are up to speed for week 1 of the season. It is a fairly poor and evenly matched game but we fail to muster a single shot on target in the 90 minutes. Thankfully this improves in extra time, and substitute Kiessling scores with penalties looming, controling and finishing a deep cross from the left.

Scoreline: 0-1 (aet)

Goals: Kiessling (116)

Saturday 18th August 2012 - German Cup 1st Round

Sachsen Leipzig vs Bayer Leverkusen

I see this as a chance for the fringe players to impress against lower league opposition and we are soon 3 goals to the good in the first half as some awful set play defending sees the game over after half an hour. Hegeler grabs two goals in a faultless perfomance to stake his claim for an opening day start. Last season's conquerers, and eventual finalists, 1860 Munich will be our opponents in the 2nd round.

Goals: Sam (12), Hegeler (16, 28)

Next Round: 1860 Munich (a)

Sunday 26th August 2012 - First Division 1/34

Stuttgart vs Bayer Leverkusen

The opening game of the season is a tricky away game to Stuttgart. Marica gives the hosts the lead with a low shot from a right wing cross. It's a poor opening half and the players respond to my teamtalk immediately as Felipe heads in Barnetta's corner. With 12 minutes left we score on the break as Kiessling's cross is headed in by Barnetta. We can't hold on though when new signing Pocognila is robbed on half way and the resulting run and low ball from the right is finished first time by Marica for his second and a share of the spoils.

Goals: Marica (8, 86) ; Felipe (46), Barnetta (78)

League Position: 8th

Manager Comments

A lively start to the league campaign and I am happy with a point against last year's 5th placed side. The Champions Cup groups have been drawn and we have fallen into the third seeds but thankfully the draw wasn't too harsh. English giants Liverpool are top seeds, with Rangers and AJ Auxerre completing the group. 2nd place is definately achievable.

September 2012

Saturday 1st September 2012 - First Division 2/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Schalke 04

I'm expecting a tight affair against a very solid Schalke side and I'm proved right as we have to work hard to grind out our first win of the season. My patience with 1 up front pays off when Kiessling heads into an empty net from Barnetta's deep free kick with 12 minutes to play. The defence isn't troubled and we secure the 3 points.

Goals: Kiessling (78)

Saturday 15th September 2012 - First Division 3/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Energie Cottbus

With half an eye on making a good start in Europe, rotation is again a necessity but with a much deeper squad, I am still confident of the quality to see of Cottbus. In the end we are 3 up in half an hour as Derdiyok scores twice early on and Hegeler buries a header as we cruise to victory.

Goals: Derdiyok (10, 22), Hegeler (34)

Tuesday 18th September 2012 - Champions Cup Group D 1/6

Bayer Leverkusen vs AJ Auxerre

The visitors play 3 at the back and we struggle to adapt to a formation we have rarely seen. Auxerre have a goal ruled out for offside but as the match goes on we assert ourselves and, with an hour played, Kiessling's run and cross from the right falls perfectly for Barnetta at the back stick to give us the lead. As we push for a decisive 2nd, Afellay's cross floats over everyone and into the corner to settle any late nerves.

Goals: Barnetta (60), Afellay (84)

Saturday 22nd September 2012 - First Division 4/34

Munich are after revenge for the Super Cup defeat, whilst both teams' unbeaten start to the season sets this up as a mouthwatering clash. In the end, both teams remain unbeaten largely thanks to a wondergoal from Tranquillo Barnetta. The hosts take the lead as half time looms when Muller lobs Adler from the edge of the area. We press in the 2nd half but it is a moment of magic from the Swiss International that earns us a point, as Barnetta cuts inside from the left and curls an unstoppable effort past the Munich keeper.

Goals: Muller (45) ; Barnetta (72)

Tuesday 25th September 2012 - First Division 5/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Karlsruhe

The squad once again proves it's worth as I rotate Barnetta and Renato Augusto but welcome back Douglas from injury. After an uneventful opening quarter of an hour, Kiessling is played through on the left hand side and his low shot goes in off the far post. We dominate the game and add a 2nd on the hour as Jorgensen's run down the left results in a low ball and Kiessling slides in at the near post ahead of defender and goalkeeper.

Goals: Kiessling (16, 59)

Saturday 29th September 2012 - First Division 6/34

Mainz vs Bayer Leverkusen

Mainz are rarely easy opponents but we come across a club low on confidence and an early goal from Renato Augusto allows us to control the game. It isn't until the 70th minute until we put clear daylight between the teams as Barnetta dusts himself down after being hacked down to score from the spot. Zabavnik is dismissed for the challenge and the floodgates are opened as we add 2 more goals before a late consolation.

Scoreline: 1-4

Goals: Szalai (90+2) ; Renato Augusto (10), Barnetta pen (70), Felipe (80), Schurrle (83)

Manager Comments

A much better start to the season this time round has seen us extend the unbeaten run from last term to 20 games. We sit 3rd in the league due to excellent starts by both Hoffenheim and Bayern Munich. At the back Hegeler and Felipe have been impressive meaning that the loss of Reinartz has not been a problem yet whilst, after a nervy start, Pocognoli has settled in well at left back. Unfortunately he is unavailable for Europe at this stage thanks to involvement in qualifying with Standard Liege shortly before he joined but it keeps Kadlec fit for Europe. Barnetta has again been superb.

League Table

Player Stats

October 2012

Wednesday 3rd October 2012 - Champions Cup Group D 2/6

Glasgow Rangers (Scotland) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

I decide to bench the still tired Barnetta and Renato Augusto and the game is incredibly even with chances at both ends. Rangers take the lead just before half time when Vaughan heads in a corner. Unable to make a more significant impact in the game, we go 4-4-2 and bring on Derdiyok, Barnetta and Renato Augusto. Finally the pressure tells as we get a break when Augusto's square ball hits a Rangers defender and deflects to Derdiyok 6 yards out. The keeper manages to save but Barnetta slots the rebound into the empty net. Auxerre beat Liverpool in the other game so I stay top.

Goals: Vaughan (44) ; Barnetta (83)

Saturday 6th October 2012 - First Division 7/34

I decide to start promising youngster Guarch up front but he is badly injured early on and I am forced to reshuffle. Despite the setback we dominate and take the lead on the stroke of half time before Rolfes makes it 2 shortly after the break when he clinically finishes a fine passing move. Old boy Djakpa pops up to pull one back from a free kick and it's only in added time when we secure the win, as Hegeler scores from a set play to keep up an impressive scoring record.

Goals: Mangala (45), Rolfes (49), Hegeler (90+1) ; Djakpa (52)

Saturday 20th October 2012 - First Division 8/34

International breaks are rarely breaks for big clubs and this was to hurt us as Affelay returned injured and Barnetta tired. I return to the 4-2-3-1 formation that served me well at the beginning of my reign and we largely contain the attacking threat of the hosts, who are flying high in the league. With the game entering the final quarter, Sam played a one two with Kiessling and buried it high past the goalkeeper. It looked like the perfect smash and grab away performance but, minutes later, Castro is penalised for a foul in the area and Hoffenheim level to share the points. The players are furious with the decision and the FA were silent following my post match criticism.

Goals: Marin pen (74) ; Sam (71)

Wednesday 24th October 2011 - Champions Cup Group D 3/6

Liverpool (England) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

We take a huge step towards qualification by executing the perfect away performance to shock Liverpool at Anfield. Encouraged by the performance against Hoffenheim, we again counter attack and have to soak up a lot of first half pressure. We restrict Liverpool to largely long range efforts but Suarez is looking dangerous. We improve after the break and Barnetta scores on the break to give us a great victory.

Goals: Barnetta (83)

Saturday 27th October 2011 - First Division 9/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Wolfsburg

We dominate early possession and have all the play in the opening half but cannot convert any chances. I encourage the players at half time but we lose impetus and the visitors get a hold in the game. I make 3 subs to freshen things up but no-one can break the deadlock in a largely disappointing game.

Goals:

Wednesday 31st October 2011 - German Cup 2nd Round

1860 Munich (2nd Divsion) vs Bayer Leverkusen

I make a number of changes for the cup tie but it is still a much stronger side than I was fielding a year ago and it shows as we control much of the game, and emerge victors by 2 goals to 1, a slightly flattering scoreline for the opponents. Jorgensen caught the eye with a goal and assist.

Goals: Lamidi (77) ; Jorgensen (19), Derdiyok (64)

3rd Round Draw: FSV Frankfurt (2nd Division) (a)

Manager Comments

Another month unbeaten but we still only 4th after imperious starts to the season by a number of teams including Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund - our next opponents. Our performance in the cup competitons has been pleasing, especially the Champions Cup where we have already obtained more points in 3 games than we did in 6 last season.

League Table

Champions Cup Group D

Player Stats

November 2012

Saturday 3rd November 2012 - First Division 10/34

Borussia Dortmund (2nd) vs Bayer Leverkusen

I take a couple of selection risks in the hope to surprise the hosts and send a message to the rest of the league. I ensure that the full backs are defensive, whilst encouraging attacking play with Renato Augusto, Afellay, Barnetta and Jorgensen all given starts. We struggle to get a grip on the game and goals in either half from wonderkid Gotze are the difference in an otherwise unremarkable game.

Goals: Gotze (36,62)

Wednesday 7th November 2012 - Champions Cup Group D 4/6

Bayer Leverkusen vs Liverpool

A win could guarantee us qualification but the visitors are one of the strongest teams in the competition. I'm looking for a reaction from the players and get it when Kiessling gives us an early lead only for Liverpool to equalise from a set play. We retake the lead before halftime, again through the impressive Kiessling but Liverpool are always dangerous on the break and get a deserved equaliser when Kuyt heads in a corner. Set piece defending is an issue at the moment but I am happy with a solid point.

Goals: Kiessling (13,41) ; Rolfes o.g (18), Kuyt (68)

Saturday 10th November 2012 - First Division 11/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs FC Koln (5th)

We have always struggled in games against Koln and I am feeling the pressure as Bayern Munich seem to be disappearing into the sunset in the league. I switch to an attacking 4-4-2 but we struggle to adapt in the first half despite Sidney Sam curling a great goal from the edge of the area. Koln deservedly equalise through a direct free kick from Bjorn Helge Riise. I make a few tweaks and we dominate the second half but can't find a winner. Happy with the overall performance, but I'm 9 points behind Bayern already.

Goals: Sam (16) ; Riise (43)

Saturday 17th November 2012 - First Division 12/34

Hamburg (16th) vs Bayer Leverkusen

I revert to my old favourite 4-2-3-1 with a front 4 from my first season in charge but it is ineffective in a game to forget as Hamburg take the lead midway through the first half and we struggle to have any impact on the match at all in a worrying turn of events. Renato Augusto is really struggling for form and Barnetta wastes our best chance when he really should have squared it to Derdiyok who had an empty goal.

Goals: Thiago (27)

Saturday 24th November 2012 - First Division 13/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Hannover 96 (12th)

We get off to the perfect start as Sam scores before Hannover have touched the ball and when Kiessling doubles the lead with a goal from route 1, a rout is looking likely. We concede from a corner however and, despite restoring the 2 goal advantage before half time, the 2nd half performance is sloppy Didier Ya Konan gets his 2nd to give us some nervy moments towards the end.

Scoreline: 3-2

Goals: Sam (1, 45), Kiessling (23) ; Ya Konan (43, 74)

Wednesday 28th November 2012 - Champions Cup Group D 5/6

AJ Auxerre (France) vs Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)

A strong line up pulls off an excellent away victory in Auxerre as we control the game and Felipe heads in a corner to give us the lead just after half time. We miss the chance to extend the lead when Kiessling has a penalty saved but we comfortably hold on to confirm qualification as group winners with a game to spare.

Goals: Felipe (54)

Manager Comments

A successful end to the month means we have qualified for the latter stages of the European Cup for the first time since I took charge. Just 4 points from 4 games in the league isn't good enough however, and we are already 9 points behind Bayern Munich in my quest to bag a hattrick of league titles. Obviously Champions Cup qualification is a minimum target but we just need to win as many games as we can. I had another massive job offer at the end of November but I am committed to Leverkusen for now.

League Table

Champions Cup Group D

December 2012

Sunday 2nd December 2012 - First Division 14/34

Borussia Monchengladbach (11th) vs Bayer Leverkusen

Our league woes continue as we again drop points on the road at Gladbach. Despite dominating the game and carving out 2 clear cut opportunities, Derdiyok spurns them both and I am glad that we are solid at the back to ensure we take at least something from the game.

Goals:

Saturday 8th December 2012 - First Division 15/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Eintract Frankfurt (7th)

Again we start sluggishly and are a goal down at the break after a neat passing move ends with Halit Altintop going round Adler and making it 1-0. A rollicking at half time does the job as we emerge world beaters to turn the game around and we could have easily scored 5 in the 2nd half. 2 is enough though as Derdiyok and Barnetta get a goal and assist each.

Goals: Altintop (10) ; Derdiyok (48), Barnetta (75)

Tuesday 11th December 2012 - Champions Cup Group D 6/6

Bayer Leverkusen (Germany) vs Glasgow Rangers

With qualification as group winners confirmed, I take the opportunity to give a few youngsters a go and we perform well going 2 goals up through Schurrle and Kiessling. But 2 goals inside the final 11 minutes give Rangers a share of the spoils. An unbeaten group campaign is a very pleasing result overall.

Goals: Schurrle (12), Kiessling (76) ; Genest (79), Beattie (82)

Saturday 15th December 2012 - First Division 16/34

Werder Bremen (9th) vs Bayer Leverkusen

Surprisingly relegated in the first season, it is no surprise that Bremen are back in the First Division. We get off to a terrible start as Trochowski is played in behind left back Kadlec and finishes superbly. We start the 2nd half much brighter and are level through Kiessling. Just as we look to be going on to win the game, Trochowski pops up again after some bad defending but Kiessling rectifies with a poachers goal. I have to go for it and we create the chances but can't finish them as we have to settle for another draw.

Goals: Trochowski (3, 64) ; Kiessling (51, 73)

Wednesday 19th December 2012 - German Cup 3rd Round

FSV Frankfurt (2nd Division) vs Bayer Leverkusen

A welcome change from the league sees us travel to the struggling 2nd division outfit but Frankfurt are up for causing a shock and start well. We settle into a nice rytham after a poor opening 20 minutes but have to wait until the 79th minute when Jorgensen's pressure leads to an own goal, which is enough to book our Quarter Final spot.

Goals: Stein o.g (79)

Next Round: Karlsruhe (a)

Saturday 22nd December 2012 - First Division 17/34

Bayer Leverkusen vs Freiburg (12th)

A return to form in the league as we put in the type of commanding perfomance that won us the title for the last two seasons. Barnetta sets the tone with a wonderful free kick before turning provider for Felipe to head in a corner. Derdiyok seals the win with a diving header late on.

Goals: Barnetta (20), Felipe (40), Derdiyok (85)

Manager Comments

If Bayern Munich weren't in the league it would have been a great start to the season. Unfortunately, as they are so far ahead, we are struggling to be in contention for the title 9 points back. This is the damp squib on the otherwise impressive cup runs that has led us top the latter stages of the German Cup and, more importantly, the Champions Cup.

League Table

In the Champions Cup, we are faced with a tough draw, Italian giants AC Milan. They have finished 5th and 1st in Serie A to date(although had 70 points in both seasons!) and currently sit 2nd in this years table. They've also reached the semi finals of the Champions Cup and EURO Cup in the last two seasons. Player wise, they have just bought Alexis Sanchis from Udinese and spent £8.75 Million on Osvaldo from Espanyol whilst the only sale of note was the £9 Million transfer of Marco Borriello to Roma. All in all, a tough test.

Champions Cup 1st Knockout Round Draw

Not sure if it's an add on that you have to select or a bug in my game (running 11.3) but I can't seem to access the match preparation screen. I have been conceding way too many goals from set plays but, after reading that you can set the training focus to defending set plays, the match preparation tab is simply not there, whether it be a day or a week before the game.

January 2013

With only 1 new face in the squad, January has been incredibly quiet with most of the speculation surrounding my players so I was glad that Derdiyok, Kiessling and Bender have all agreed long term deals before Barcelona, Real Madrid and Valencia respectively came in with bids for the players. Thankfully, all three expressed a desire to stay at the club and that was that.

The 1 new face is 17 year old Belgian Cees Bielen. With an eye always on the future, and at only £250k, I thought it was a low risk purchase that can slot into the youth team. Talking of the youths, Uche Ejiofor has been impressive in the under 19s and if he keeps this form up, he will be a serious contender for the German Cup next season.

Saturday 19th January 2013 - First Division 18/34

Despite Stuttgart struggling in the league they have an excellent team and, coupled with another sluggish start, the visitors dominate the first half and take the lead through Delpierre's header. I again rally the troops at half time but we have to wait until a 78th minute penalty to salvage a point, although we had great chances to score another either side of the goal - Jorgensen this time being the main guilty party.

Goals: Delpierre (23), Rolfes pen (78)

Saturday 26th January 2013 - First Division 19/34

Nothing less than a win will do as we are in an almighty battle for Champions Cup places and the players respond with a great start against an injury ravaged Schalke. The game is over by half time as Hegeler, Rolfes and Barnetta see us cruising to victory. A cricket score looks on when Schalke are reduced to 10 men early in the 2nd half but we switch off and even concede but I am happy with the victory and 3 points moves us up to 3rd.

Goals: Hegeler (14), Rolfes (31), Felipe (42) ; Huntelaar (79)

Tuesday 29th January 2013 - German Cup Quarter Final

Karlsruhe vs Bayer Leverkusen

We are expected to beat league strugglers Karlsruhe and as the business end of the tournament approaches, I use the opportunity to play many of the players that are out of form to try to give them some confidence. It works as we run out emphatic victors, although partly thanks to the hosts indiscipline. Vida scores twice from set plays whilst Kofi Agyei scores the pick of the goals - a 30 yard screamer from the left hand side in off the bar. The 10 men tire at the end and we score 4 goals in the final 17 minutes in clinical fashion.

Scoreline: 0-6

Goals: Vida (25, 73), Kofi Agyei (53), Langkamp o.g (79), Schurrle (86), Renato Augusto (88)

Semi Final draw: Schalke (a)

Manager Comments

A pleasing end to the start of the New Year saw us score 9 times in 2 away games. The league title race looks increasingly like a one horse affair as Bayern Munich simply refuse to lose a game whilst our impressive cup form continues. My central midfielders have struggled for form in a frustrating development this season which I am at a loss to explain. Renato Augusto, Bender and Rolfes all haven't exactly set the world alight whether playing in a deep, central or (in Renato Augusto's case), an adanced playmaker position.

Archived