Scouting my own players

When I'm playing as arsenal I look for around 14 for important attributes and as high as 16 or 17 for specific attributes I'm looking for. If I would be looking for a good deep lying playmaker for instance I might make a filter looking like this:

Creativity: 16

Composure: 15

Decision: 15

Passing: 14

Technique: 13

Teamwork: 13

Strength: 12

Tackling: 12

First touch: 12

Positioning: 12

Stamina: 12

Natural fitness: 12

Determination: 14

This looks fairly reasonable at first but in reality it only leaves me with Mikel, Alonso, Stijn Schaars and Christiano Zanetti. Obviously I'm way to picky and in would in retrospectmake somthing like this:

Creativity: 15

Composure: 13

Decision: 13

This leaves me with an interesting list with a few too many old players which is easily fixed with an age requirement. Still a few too many purely attacking players in there so I might add a positioning requirement of 11 or 12 but that would eliminate players like Ever Banega who might not suite the defensive requirements I have for the position but with his outstanding mental and technical attributes he would be a terrific addition to my squad. That is the weakness of searching with filters. I really wan't a player with good positioning so I add it to the filter but attributes are not straight forward and players can compensate for one area with better attributes in other areas (a ball wining midfielder with 12 tackling and 18 strength can still win the ball back but if you filter search for a ball wining midfielder you wouldn't find him).

Another big downfall is that you can only search for current stats and with good training Ever Banega could get a lot more solid in the defensive side and maybe get even more lethal with his passing. Search filters don't account for growth and as I only wan't to sign players before they reach their peak I basically can't use them.

My tip for using filters is to not include too many attributes or use the "attributes to match" to make an exception for players who miss one or two of the attributes you want. I also like to immediatly filter out players who lack natural fitness, stamina or determination as I find them required attributes for my team (I'm not going to play a player who I know I have to sub or won't be fit enough to play two matches in a row). If I'm playing with a lesser team I will be more lenient and except less determined players or less fit players. Also be lenient with your filters. You might have a longer list to go through but better wading through a few more useless players than missing that one perfect match for your team.

• 4 weeks later...
When I'm playing as arsenal I look for around 14 for important attributes and as high as 16 or 17 for specific attributes I'm looking for. If I would be looking for a good deep lying playmaker for instance I might make a filter looking like this:

Creativity: 16

Composure: 15

Decision: 15

Technique: 13

Teamwork: 13

Strength: 12

Tackling: 12

First touch: 12

Positioning: 12

This looks fairly reasonable at first but in reality it only leaves me with Mikel, Alonso, Stijn Schaars and Christiano Zanetti. Obviously I'm way to picky and in would in retrospectmake somthing like this:

Creativity: 15

Composure: 13

Decision: 13

This leaves me with an interesting list with a few too many old players which is easily fixed with an age requirement. Still a few too many purely attacking players in there so I might add a positioning requirement of 11 or 12 but that would eliminate players like Ever Banega who might not suite the defensive requirements I have for the position but with his outstanding mental and technical attributes he would be a terrific addition to my squad. That is the weakness of searching with filters. I really wan't a player with good positioning so I add it to the filter but attributes are not straight forward and players can compensate for one area with better attributes in other areas (a ball wining midfielder with 12 tackling and 18 strength can still win the ball back but if you filter search for a ball wining midfielder you wouldn't find him).

Another big downfall is that you can only search for current stats and with good training Ever Banega could get a lot more solid in the defensive side and maybe get even more lethal with his passing. Search filters don't account for growth and as I only wan't to sign players before they reach their peak I basically can't use them.

My tip for using filters is to not include too many attributes or use the "attributes to match" to make an exception for players who miss one or two of the attributes you want. I also like to immediatly filter out players who lack natural fitness, stamina or determination as I find them required attributes for my team (I'm not going to play a player who I know I have to sub or won't be fit enough to play two matches in a row). If I'm playing with a lesser team I will be more lenient and except less determined players or less fit players. Also be lenient with your filters. You might have a longer list to go through but better wading through a few more useless players than missing that one perfect match for your team.

That can be rectified by looking only for 6 out 7 or even 6 out of 8 attributes. I find that invaluable because it will show you player who may be lacking in just one area but scores of the chart in 6 or 7 others, depending on what you're looking for naturally.

Archived