4-3-1-2 Formation

Going to assume your midfield is set up 3 MC 1 AMC.

I generally use the AMC as the playmaker as he tends to have the most space, also traditionally in this formation the 3 CM's are quite defensive while the AMC is given liscence to drift over the pitch creating chances for the strikers. To be honest though I don't have a great deal of experience playing with this formation in FM so i wouldn't take my advice as gospel.

I generally use the AMC as the playmaker as he tends to have the most space, also traditionally in this formation the 3 CM's are quite defensive while the AMC is given liscence to drift over the pitch creating chances for the strikers.
I've been using this formation in FM11 and am having success using my AMC as the playmaker in the trequartista role set to attacking.

I tend to subscribe to these ideas. The AMC playmaker is certainly a popular and traditional setup for this formation, but there are other ways to go about it. Recently, I've been playing with this formation with:

A back four with one or two wingbacks (as DL/DR ability allows).

A deep-lying playmaker as the central MC(d).

Two basic central midfielders or ball-winning midfielders as MC(s).

My AMC as an inside forward (second striker), either support or attack.

A more creative supporting forward (deep-lying forward, trequartista, complete forward) at FC.

A goal-scoring Advanced Forward or Poacher at FC.

This gives some level of playmaking & creativity at both the back and at the front, benefitting both phases of play. Sometimes I play with the Playmaker setting to the MC(d), sometimes I turn off that setting but keep the roles in place. I feel like a defensive role with HUB is effective enough for giving him the role of setting the tempo of play. A creative forward doesn't drop into the amount of space and time that a playmaking AMC might have, but the creativity and passing is still valuable. I have enjoyed the interplay of the AMC going forward, with the support forward dropping back, instead of everyone up front keeping to their lines. Just another way of going about the 4312...

Archived