The Lisbon Lions (A 21st Century Attempt)

sherm

The Life and Times of a Tough, Gruff Scotsman

Foreword by Alex McLeish

I first encountered Jocky in our playing days, when he was at Dundee United and I was playing for Sir Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen. He was phenomenal that day, guiding his side to a 1-0 win with a dominating performance, not allowing our forward line to get into the game. Afterwards, we swapped shirts and met in the club bar, and this was the start of a beautiful friendship, one that lasted for years on and off the field, and one that still blossoms today

We have been through some tough times, as any friends would have, but the one occasion that springs to mind was when he brought his Dundee United side to face the young Hibs side I was building. They were on their way to being champions, and on a 24 match unbeaten run in the league, so we knew we had a job to get a result. Looking back, my midfielders were a little too aggressive, not allowing them to play their game, and we came away with a useful point. Jocky took offence to this, and we had a little spat on the touchline, but within a few hours it was forgotten, and we had a drink as we so often did, putting our troubles behind us.

His career was important to him, and because of that, he never let himself settle down and start a family. I know, both from accounts that Jocky has told me, and stories from his team mates, that he was a bit of a casanove when he was a player, but that's all it ever was. Nothing serious. Although I am sure that Jocky will relay stories of one woman he was particularly fond of, and I know he wanted to spend his life with her...I'll let him tell you about that though...

Jocky's mentality as a player was no-nonsense, tough and fearless, and he adopted that same philosophy as a manager. He would never ask his players to do anything that he wouldn't, couldn't or hadn't done in the past, and he was never afraid to take on 'bigger sides' (The UEFA Cup tie against Inter Milan springs to mind here, and his league record against the Old Firm sides). He is, without doubt, the most successful manager in Dundee United's history, and the bronze statue of him erected outside the ground is testament to what he achieved...and we can't forget, he did it with all Scottish players, this because of his proud heritage and his fearsome pride of being Scottish.

Jocky Keane is a hero in the game, but to me, he'll always be Big Jock, the good friend who's there when you need him to be...

Alex McLeish

---

At the start of the 2001/02 season, Dundee United were considered nothing more than a mid-table, mediocrity club, and that was the finish that everybody expected for them. So when Jocky Keane returned to the club where he had been associated for 17 years, 12 as a player, racking up a club record 522 appearances, then 5 as a coach, before he moved onto East Fife as Manager, he was under no pressure whatsoever.

Come the end of the season, he was being proclaimed as a hero, the man to turn the Tannadice outfit into a side to challenge on all fronts. However, his first proclamation when he returned to the club was one that nearly got him no fans at all. His ideal squad of all Scots. That's an all Scottish playing squad. Surely, if a side needs and wants success, not a feasible option, with some foreign players more likely to bring that glory. Jocky didn't care, didn't let the criticism worry him. He had always been a hard, gruff, stubborn player, and that shone through in his personality, so when he said he was going to do something, he generally did it

With the full backing of his new board, and the chairman prepared to spend big, Jocky dipped into the market straightaway, signing the likes of Ian Murray, Stevie Nicholas and Mark Kerr, all talented young players. Adding more experience, such as Billy McKinlay also helped, and as it happened, that squad would have one of the best seasons in the club's history

"I think it's fair to say that Jocky turned me from a man into a boy on the pitch. He signed me as a scrawny, shy teenager, and immediately set me a programme in the gym. I toughened up, filled out, used my pace the best I could, and scored 18 goals that season. I never looked back, and that was all because of Jocky"

Steven Nicholas

---

Game played on CM01/02. It's a game I started a while ago, probably when I first discovered the challenge, so when I came across it the other day, I thought 'why not'. So here it is...

I've been away for a while but I hope my writing ability hasn't evaporated...

Cheers 10-3, it's good to be back writing!

---

He was a tough tackling defender in his pomp, just brute force, nothing technical, but it was bloody effective. This persona came out in his defenders, and that season, the back four of Murray, Corrigan, Caldwell and McCracken would start 26 games together (and let's not forget Scott Wilson's contribution). A solid back four is a foundation for any successful side, and building that side was to be one of his greatest achievements

The opening game of the season was a game that was tough to call, an away trip to Kilmarnock, one that usually, Dundee United never did too well in. However, in this game, we were to get a glimpse of the toughness and resilience that Jocky had instilled into his side as soon as he took charge. The team that took to the field was a decent side ; Gallagher ; Buchan, McCunnie, McCracken, Caldwell ; Easton, Fullarton, Kerr, Hannah, Miller © ; McConalogue.

Gary McCutcheon had headed the home side into a 14th minute lead, and Jocky's side had barely got out of the blocks, but a piece of individual brilliance from Mark Kerr, in which he beat three defenders before laying off Craig Easton, allowed the visitors to draw level, the winger sliding home a lovely controlled finish. This allowed the Tangerines to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, but a tough tackling Kilmarnock side didn't allow them any room to play their game. That was until the 85th minute, when a marauding Easton nipped onto the end of a long clearance, before rounding the 'keeper and sliding home the winner.

"If we'd won the game, he always made the effort to congratulate you. Even if we'd played well and been beaten, there was encouragement, but if we hadn't done as well as he, and we, knew we could, then the dressing room could be a nasty place. Hairdryer treatment wasn't the right saying, it was more like pnuematic drill! Boy could Jocky shout if you let him down. He expected such high standards though that he wanted the same from us"

David Hannah

A tough 2-1 win was followed by an enthralling 4-1 demolition job of Hearts, the Jambos never standing a chance really. Chances came and went in the first half, with Kerr, Hannah, McCracken and Easton all testing the hands of Niemi, but it wasn't until first half stoppage time that the breakthrough came, a lovely passing move finding Mark Kerr on the edge of the area, and a beautiful, deft curl into the corner sent them into the break ahead. Despite Stephane Adam's equaliser ten minutes into the second half, a spell of three goals in 12 minutes sealed the points. Kerr was fed through by Easton, and he slotted home into the corner, but the third was something special, as a corner was headed out to the edge of the area, around 25 yards out. Stephen McConalogue set himself and hit a stunning volley past Niemi into the top corner, to extend the lead to 3-1. McConalogue himself finished the game off, rising highest to head home a powerful header into the corner, and the 4-1 victory was nothing more than they deserved.

It had been an impressive start from Jocky, but he still had work to do. The one thing that always haunted him through his career was the boardroom, and the executives. He never had what could be considered a healthy relationship, as he felt they interfered too much, but when he was as successful as he was, he never had any dangers. He set himself such high standards, and was always raising the bar, that he used to get frustrated if his players didn't give the same effort. His ideal players were workhorses, players who may not have had the greatest talent, but used what they had to the best effect. David Hannah, Jamie Fullarton, players like that. He always defended his players in public, never condemned them. If he wanted to do that, he did it in private

With a break before their next game, the toughest test yet with a trip to Ibrox, Jocky took some time to secure some more players signatures to his ever growing squad list. Gary Teale, Ian Murray, Steven Nicholas and Martyn Corrigan joined the Tannadice revolution, while Hasney Aljofree, Danny Griffin and Tassos Venetis all found new homes for their talents. The team that took to the field against Rangers had all four debutants in the team, and with this in mind, the 0-0 draw was to prove to be a top class result. Young 'keeper Paul Gallagher was sensational that day, making four or five world class saves, and the likes of Flo, Arveladze, Lovenkrands and Caniggia couldn't find the breakthrough. Jocky very nearly saw his side steal the game at the end too, as a loose ball found Stevie Nicholas, who fired a shot towards the bottom corner that just nicked the post and went wide, but the goalless draw was more than good enough to cement their status as potential contenders

"In cup competitons, he seemed to have the magic touch. Whether it was the Scottish Cup, the UEFA Cup, it didn't matter. He always had a good record in them. He never had a problem blooding youngsters either, with the likes of myself, Lee Cullen and Stephen Wright all playing regularly in the games. Winning the League Cup and Scottish Cup in the 2001/02 season was one of my most memorable times, and none of it would have happened without Jocky"

John Rankin

A League Cup game against Hamilton followed the Rangers match, and many players were rested for the game, a total of 7 changes in the end. It made no difference to the result, as the Tangerines cruised to a 3-0 success, Stevie Nicholas scoring a brace, his first goals for the club, while Jamie Fullarton grabbed another. Lee Cullen, Billy McKinlay, Stephen Wright, Alan Combe and Derek Lilley all made their first appearances of the season, and all would feature regularly in the League Cup campaign. It was a tactic that Jocky employed often in the cup competitons, resting his first team players, but it was one that worked well for him.

Another new signing joined the ranks at Tanndice, as Morton youngster John Rankin signed a deal, and the £250,000 fee was to prove to be a snip. A hard fought 1-0 win over Aberdeen, thanks to David Hannah's first of the season followed, a second successive League game in which they had to work hard for the result, but it was becoming obvious that the back four Jocky was building was a solid foundation on which to build a solid team ethic. He firmly believed that building from the back was the way forward, and that was the way his teams played.

When he qualified for his coaching badges, he travelled round the world as part of his training, scouting teams from across the globe and varying his managerial style on different types of football. There was a type of football played in Spain that he fell in love with, and it was called 'ticky tacky'. Basically, it was the blend of football in which your side kept possession of the football, not allowing the other team to gain control. Without the ball, they couldn't beat you, and it was a style of football that, although it never brought about 5-0 wins all the time, it proved to be successful. Paul Gallagher became one of the best goalkeepers in the country under Jocky's watchful eye, and his progression earned him elevation to the National side quite quickly, and it was fully deserved.

After the 1-0 win over the Dons, a 4-0 home success over Livingston quickly followed, and it was a success that briefly sent the tangerines top of the table. Stephen McConalogue tapped in the opener after nine minutes, after good work down the right from Corrigan and Teale, but it would be over an hour of play before the second went in. McConalogue and Nicholas both missed chances, as did Charlie Miller and Ian Murray, but on 73 minutes, Murray scored his first for the club, as he curled home a beautifully flighted free-kick from the edge of the area into the top corner. Mark Kerr continued his good form and sealed the game on 86 minutes, side-footing home after a clever dummy from Nicholas, before Teale swung in a corner for man of the match Nicholas to beat his man at the near post and tap home for a deserved 4-0 success.

Results from July/August 2001

(SPL unless otherwise stated)

Kilmarnock 1-2 Dundee United

(McCutcheon 14 ; Easton 25, 85)

Dundee United 4-1 Hearts

(Kerr 45+1, 61 ; Adam 54 ; McConalogue 71, 73)

Rangers 0-0 Dundee United

(League Cup Round 2)

Dundee United 3-0 Hamilton

(Nicholas 7, 70 ; Fullarton 13)

Dundee United 1-0 Aberdeen

(Hannah 77)

Dundee United 4-0 Livingston

(McConalogue 9 ; Murray 73 ; Kerr 86 ; Nicholas 90+2)

Overall an excellent month, just the two dropped points at Ibrox, but to end in second place behind Celtic, having conceded just two goals in five games, was superb. Man of the month had to be Mark Kerr, with three goals, three assists and a rating of 8.03, but the whole team were excellent

Jocky saw his side go into September on a real high, and with a trip to Celtic Park first on the agenda, he saw that as crucial. The papers were building it up as a chance for Dundee United to really cement an early challenge to the Old Firm crown, or it could be Celtic just showing their dominance against the noisy neighbours. A full house settled down to watch the Sunday lunchtime game, and it would prove to be a thriller. The home side settled down well, despite having sold their star striker Henrik Larsson to Parma for £23,000,000 just three days before the game. Paul Gallagher was forced to make saves from Hartson and Jairo Castillo, but on 11 minutes, an Alan Thompson free-kick found the head of Chris Sutton and he found the net with a thumping header. This really sprung Jocky, and his side, into life, and they could easily have been level, or even in front at half time, with McConalogue, Miller and Easton all wasting chances, and good chances at that.

Ten minutes into the second half, the game turned on its's head, as a through ball from Mark Kerr found Stephen McConalogue. The big striker rounded Rab Douglas, but as he did so, the 'keeper clipped his ankle, sending him tumbling to the floor. The referee awarded the penalty, and had no choice but to send the big 'keeper off, and when Stevie Nicholas rolled in his fourth of the season, Dundee United were suddenly the favourites

Celtic showed the world why they were predicted to be Champions though, as their fighting spirit shone through against a hungry Dundee United side. Despite being a man down, they forced a corner in the 65th minute, a corner which Joos Valgaeren rose to power home, and though chances came and went (kept out due to a multitude of saves from sub 'keeper John Gould), Neil Lennon wrapped up what was to prove to be a crucial win in the context of the season, as his low drive deflected past Paul Gallagher to inflict a heart breaking defeat on a spirited and resilient Tangerines

It was a case of keeping their heads up and fighting back, which they did with a scrappy 1-0 home win over Motherwell three days later, McConalogue firing in the only goal, but Jocky was still hurting from the Celtic defeat

"That first defeat, away at Celtic? It was bloody hard to take. We'd matched them for over an hour, had the man advantage, but ended up losing 3-1. To be fair to them, they showed why they were the Champions, and they did deserve the title in the long run, but we gave them a damn good fight...I hate losing though"

Jocky Keane

A lot of bigger sides may have crumbled under the pressure of the third round tie in the League Cup, but not Jocky's side. It was a snowy, cold, blustery and quite frankly, miserbale day down at East Stirling, and a lot of players may not have fancied it. Jocky's attitude was simple ; 'If you do enough running, like I expect, then you'll soon warm up'. The example was set by the central midfield pairing of Billy McKinlay and Jamie Fullarton, who both ran their socks off for 90 minutes, and each one scored in a comfortable 2-0 win that progressed them through to the Quarter Finals. They were the sort of performances for which Jocky loved players like Jamie Fullarton, a hard working, grafting shift that saw you knackered at the end, because you'd given everything they had.

An away trip to St Johnstone followed the cup win, and following a few knocks in training, Easton, McConalogue and Caldwell all missed the match. As it turned out, the home side gave an excellent account of themselves, really putting up a good fight. David Hannah gave United the lead with a well taken goal on 18 minutes, but Paul Gallagher had to work hard in the Dundee United goal, as he was tested by Lovenkrands, Lauchlan and McBride. Half time came and went with the score at 1-0, but within five minutes, Paul Hartley's cross-cum-shot had eluded everybody to head into the far corner and level things up. For the first time in the season, panic set in among the Dundee United players, and they were close to losing the game. However, one man was calem among the storm, as captain David Hannah broke free in the 86th minute, and deftly dinked the ball over the 'keeper to secure a valuable three points for his side.

They had proved they could win with style, but also that they could win ugly, and both wpuld be crucial to secure points. Another three points followed, and though the scoreline, 1-0, against a Hibs side visiting Tannadice suggested a tough game, it was actually fairly comfortable. Nicholas was superb upfront, holding the ball up and laying it off to his team-mates brilliantly, and it was one of these lay offs to the edge of the box that allowed Mark Kerr to drill a low left footed shot into the bottom corner of the net. The goal, just before the half hour mark, allowed them to take take control of the game, and it was maybe slightly disappointing that they never took advantage and pushed on for three or four, but a win is a win, whether it's by one goal or six.

Results from September 2001

(SPL unless stated)

Celtic 3-1 Dundee United

(Sutton 11 ; Douglas s/o 55 ; Nicholas pen 56 ; Valgaeren 65 ; Lennon 83)

Dundee United 1-0 Motherwell

(McConalogue 16)

(League Cup Round 3)

East Stirling 0-2 Dundee United

(McKinlay 19 ; Fullarton 27)

St Johnstone 1-2 Dundee United

(Hannah 18, 86 ; Hartley 50)

Dundee United 1-0 Hibs

(Kerr 28)

Another solid month, although the defeat to Celtic hurt. Some gritty away performances, in tough conditions, and again very few goals conceded. Defence is solid, midfield chipping in with goals, can't argue really. Man of the month has to be David Hannah, if not simply for his match winning captain's performance against St Johnstone, and to end in second, with a 3 point gap over Rangers, is pretty good

"Having spent 12 years here as a player, I knew exactly what the city was like when it came to Derby Day. It meant everything, to the fans, the players and everybody. It was all that people spoke about in the days leading up to the match, so I knew how much pride was resting on the game. I had a half decent record, having lost just four derby matches in my time as a player, but my first one as a manager had me with butterflies in my stomach. I was nervous, that's a fair statement..."

Jocky Keane

October started with possibly the most important game of the season so far, as Jocky took his Dundee United side to play their neighbours across the city, a struggling Dundee side. The form book never matters in these games, and the home side showed that by taking the game to the side in orange. Gallagher was a busy boy again, and in the 28th minute, he was finally beaten, a long ball forward causing confusion, and Smith pounced to lash it into the roof of the net. The home fans were in hysterics as the second half commenced, and it was fair to say that Jocky had given his players a real tongue lashing at the interval. This seemed just about to do the trick, as they started the second half miles better, causing all sorts of problems in the defence. In the end, the result was decided by one of the half time substitutes, Jamie Fullarton curling home a free-kick into the bottom corner, just three minutes after coming onto the field, and the 1-1 draw left honours even until the next time the sides met

Following the hard earned point against Dundee, six changes were made for the trip to Pittodrie, a luxury that was nice to have, but again, they were made to work hard for the points. Mark Kerr scored in the second minute of first half stoppage time to seal the game, but a nasty injury to Jim Lauchlan meant that centre back options were a little short, so a new defender was priority on Jocky's list. Meanwhile, he was pleased to see that the reserves were doing well, and certain players in particular were shining. John Rankin was earning himself a good reputation, as was young Stephen O'Donnell, but they were still a striker or two light, especially with Stephen Thompson expressing his dismay at not being part of the first team, something that didn't go down too well with Jocky

After two rather tight games, it was nice to see his side express a bit of freedom, as Kilmarnock visited Tannadice. He had been keeping a close eye on Killie striker Gary McCutcheon, the big forward hitting good form through the season, but two enquiries had been knocked back by the club, as they were determined to keep him and stay in the division. There was some start to the match, with three goals in the opening ten minutes. First, Stephen Caldwell powered home a header from Teale's cross, before Jerome Vareille slipped in to level things up. The game then belonged to a man who had made goals before, and had yet to score for his new side, as Gary Teale went on to grab his first career hat-trick. He got his first on ten minutes, evading his marker and firing low across the 'keeper, before ensuring his side went into the interval two goals clear, a superb left footed volley fizzing into the back of the net off the post. The visitors did get themselves back into it, McCutcheon converting Vareille's cross to give them a glimmer of hope, but Teale completed his treble, and secured the points with an 82nd minute goal, latching on to the ball after a defensive error to curl home past the 'keeper

Cheers lads. Dave - glad you enjoy my writing style, I've gone for a few changes in this one but hopefully it won't make it any worse! And Mark, thanks for the support!

---

Another home game followed, as bottom club Dunfermline visited Jocky's side. They had won only once all season, and had just six points to their name, and, as expected, they were comfortably despatched 2-0, goals from Stevie Nicholas, his fifth of the season, and Mark Kerr's sixth of the season, both in the first half, saw off the visitors, and thanks to the draw in the Old Firm game, saw Jocky's side close the gap to two points, and go six clear of the inconsistent Rangers, who sat third.

A massive game started November, as Rangers visited Fortress Tannadice. United were hard to beat anyway, but at Tannadice it was nigh on impossible. The players were well up for the game, David Hannah rallying the troops, but they used their heads and kept quiet to the press, something Jocky demanded. In the build up to the game, you could tell that the Tangerine fans really fancied the three points, and they felt that if they could defeat Advocaat's side, they would really cement themselves as real challengers for the SPL title. They started with a bang, Kerr testing Klos's hands with a stinger from 25 yards, before Murray hit a free-kick onto the post, and Nicholas headed just over the crossbar. It had been another captain's performance from David Hannah, as he was at the heart of everything his side created, and just before the half hour mark, he poked his side into the lead, reacting quickest to turn home Jim Paterson's cross. It sent the fans into delirium, and they responded by almost grabbing a second straight from the restart, a shocking back pass from Michael Ball allowing Nicholas to lob the 'keeper, but there was just too much on it and it dipped agonizingly over.

The second half was a little more even, Rangers putting up more of a fight, but they still looked second best. This was proved in the 52nd minute, as the excellent Steven Nicholas took the ball down on his chest, turned his marker and left him for dead, before beating two more men and firing home. It was a simply stunning goal, one to grace any game, and fittingly, it would be enough to secure the points. Though Craig Moore headed home a consolation, the defence held firm, and a massive win sent Jocky's side nine points clear of Rangers, an amazing position to be in at this stage of the season

After the win against Rangers, it was easy for the side to let the expectation get to them, and slip up in their next game, but another solid performance, giving them a 2-1 win against a rugged St Johnstone team, thanks to two goals in five first half minutes from Kerr and Murray (Craig Russell's consolation also came in the first half), and keeping them well in touch with leaders Celtic. Following the win, two more additions came to strengthen the squad, as Rangers centre back Scott Wilson joined for £900,000, and Allan Smart joined on loan, giving Jocky another option up top. Wilson had struggled to get a game at Ibrox, but he was a solid, fast defender, who was also superb in the air, and the fee of just shy of £1 million was not one that was too unreasonable. Smart had experience in the Scottish Leagues, and though no fee was involved, he was still able to play a vital part in the season (which he would go on to do, so much so that he would secure a permanent transfer to the club)

"Even I was pleasantly surprised by the impact I had at the club. I had never been, let's say, a prolific scorer, I was more about laying off goals for the team and holding the ball up, so when I made such a good start, good enough for a permanent transfer, I was smiling for weeks. Jocky was a terrific manager too, the best I ever worked with. He brought the best out of you, his man management was superb..."

Allan Smart

--

After four successive home games, in which they had picked up maximum points, two away games followed, the first of which saw the team travel to Almondvale. Livingston had been struggling of late, and just 8,234 watched the game. It was a professional performance from Jocky's side, as they saw off a dogged and determined home side. Mark Kerr opened the scoring on 18 minutes, taking advantage of a beautifully weighted pass from Nicholas to side foot home past Sanchez Broto. Jocky knew his side would not win the aerial battles against the Livingston defence, so at half time he introduced Allan Smart into the fray, as he was terrific in the air. It was to prove to be an inspired substitution, as a 65th minute cross from Teale found Smart's head, and the on loan striker powered home a debut goal

There was no time for rest, as just three days later, a game at Hearts beckoned. This would prove to be a more difficult task than the Livvy match, but once again, Jocky saw his side come through. Andy Kirk gave the home side the lead after a quarter of an hour, using his strength to beat McCracken and fire into the roof of the net past a helpless Paul Gallagher. This sprung United into life, and just before the half hour, they were level, Mark Kerr continuing his terrific form to fire home past the 'keeper. Allan Smart, who had earned a start for his performance against Livingston, was causing all sorts of problem, and he fully deserved his goal on 40 minutes, following up Paterson's shot to poke into the open goal

Next up was the League Cup Quarter Final, which, for the second time that month, brought Rangers to Tannadice. It was a scrappy game, which is probably a little understatement to be fair. It was a poor game, neither side wanted to lose, but somebody had to. As it happened, the deciding goal came on 73 minutes, a lovely ball played through to Teale, who hit it low across the box, and on the end of it was Stephen McConalogue to tap home and seal his sides place in the Semi Final.

Results from October/November 2001

(SPL unless stated)

Dundee 1-1 Dundee United

(Smith 28 ; Fullarton 65)

Aberdeen 0-1 Dundee United

(Kerr 45+2)

Dundee United 4-2 Kilmarnock

(Caldwell 2 ; Vareille 5 ; Teale 10, 25, 82 ; McCutcheon 55)

Dundee United 2-0 Dunfermline

(Nicholas 5 ; Kerr 36)

Dundee United 2-1 Rangers

(Hannah 29 ; Nicholas 52 ; Moore 58)

Dundee United 2-1 St Johnstone

(Murray 13 ; Kerr 18 ; Russell 37)

Livingston 0-2 Dundee United

(Kerr 18 ; Smart 65)

Hearts 1-2 Dundee United

(Kirk 14 ; Kerr 29 ; Smart 40)

League Cup Quarter Final

Dundee United 1-0 Rangers

(McConalogue 73)

Two good months saw us extend our lead over Rangers to 9 points, and sitting just four behind Celtic. Allan Smart made an impact, and were in the League Cup Semi's, so I can't grumble. Man of the months has to be Mark Kerr, who's continuing his excellent form, averaging 8.12, scoring five times and setting up four more, and quite rightly he has shot into the Scotland reckoning. Although I hope he keep's up his form for us...

Jocky was a proud man, and he was very proud of his heritage, so when Scotland suffered an embarassing 2-1 friendly defeat to Lithuania, he, like the rest of the country, was really humiliated. Only one of his players had played the game, Steven Nicholas coming off the bench, and that ticked him off. He made no secret of his anger and disappointment in the press either...

"What a joke. He need's sacking, straightaway. How can he not play the most on-form midfielder in the country? Mark Kerr has been sensational all season. We've got the tightest defence, so surely at least one, if not more of them should be in the national side. Just because we are an 'unfashionable club', our players don't get a look in. Well from now, I take a stand...if the F.A don't like it, stuff them. Scottish football is a laughing stock, but not anymore"

With the second Derby of the season coming up, it was probably an unwise statement, but Jocky usually made his point. As he took his seat in the dugout for the game, the entire 14,000 strong crowd applauded him. His comments had been, as usual, on the money, and the fact he got a £15,000 fine made the crowds agree all the more. The game proved to be a routine win, as goals from Steven Nicholas and Mark Kerr (who else?) in the first 20 minutes sealed the points. Surprisingly, Celtic dropped points the next day, only managing a 2-2 draw with Dunfermline, which meant that the teams were getting ever closer.

Jocky was a confident man, both in his own and his players abilities, so when he was asked an off the cuff remark about his team's title challenge, he produced a typical response. "Of course we're bloody challengers...we'll end the Old Firm dominance". It was a remarkable statement for a man who's been managing at the top level for just six months, but that was a true mark of the man. Confidence and Personality

"He certainly wasn't shy at voicing his opinions, to anybody. I remember, just before he hired me, there had been unrest in the boardroom, with his assistant causing a spate. I don't know what it was over, but Jovcky's philosophy was simple. 'If you don't like my way, then there's the door'. His assistant was gone, but within three days, he had interviewed his candidates and offered me the job. Taking the assistant job there was the best career move I ever made..."

Gianpiero Ventrone

An away trip to Motherwell was next up, and it was, quite simply, his side's worst performance of the season. They were absolutely awful, and to escape with a 1-1 draw was sheer luck. An injury to Mark Kerr in the warm-up seemed to shoot their confidence down, and all credit to Motherwell, who simply took advantage. The best player on the pitch that day was young midfielder Stephen Cosgrove (a fact Jocky would note later on), and it was he who put his side ahead, curling home a delightful free-kick on 35 minutes. The second half was all the home side, and they only stayed 1 goal ahead thanks to Paul Gallagher's heroics. The equaliser came in the 91st minute, and it was cruel. a sloppy bit of defending, the first piece all game, allowed Charlie Miller in, and though the 'keeper got a hand to his shot, he couldn't prevent it going in, and they escpaed with an undeserved point

Another hard game followed, a trip to Hibs, who had been rapidly improving, and yet again, a late goal decided the tie. Jocky's side were a lot better in this game, creating chances and passing the ball about beautifully, and they got their deserved reward when Stephen McConalogue fired home on 33 minutes, swivelling in the box and lashing home. Hibs did equalise on half time, Ukranian Sergei Baltacha heading home a Sauzee corner, but the returning Mark Kerr scored his tenth of the season, coming off the bench to net the winner and send his side top, albeit for a few hours

Jocky had made no secret of the fact he was furious with his players over their performances in the last two games, particularly the Motherwell game, so he shook it up a bit and made six changes for their next game, a crucial home tie against Celtic. McConalogue, Corrigan, Hannah, Teale, Caldwell and Miller were all dropped, replaced by Smart, Buchan, Easton, Nicholas, Wilson and, to the surprise of many, youngster John Rankin, making his SPL debut in a huge game. Jocky's words were simple, and to the point ; 'Get out there, and let them know we're ready to take their crown!'

The tactics worked, because United took the game to the leaders. Smart was simply superb, holding up the ball and giving Balde and Valgaeren a torrid time, and it was nearly beneficial, as a sharp Rankin cross was turned inches past his own post by Balde. Neil Lennon was getting aggravated, so much so that a wild lunge at John Rankin (who was also having a super game) earnt him a talking to. Jocky had a few words to say to the midfielder too, so much so that we were treated the next day to one of the images that last forever, Lennon backing down against an irate and steaming Jocky, with his arms outspread and teeth bared. There was one simple reason Dundee United din't win that game, and that was the inspired form of Rab Douglas, who kept everything out, but when the final whistle signified the 0-0 draw, people sat up and took real notice of Jocky Keane and his side

Boxing day saw Dunfermline visit Tannadice, and they were despatched 3-1 in an excellent performance. All three goals came in the first half an hour, as Steven Nicholas, on 11 minutes, Scott Wilson's first for the club on 22, and Allan Smart firing home on 29, all secured three points. Colin Nish did get one back, on 53 minutes, but it made no difference and United kept themselves well in the race. As it turned out, Allan Smart's goal was maybe the one to secure him a permanent transfer to the club, as he signed a three year deal just two days later. He had been excellent since joining on loan, putting in some good performances and chipping in with vital goals, so the £100,000 was money well spent

December ended with a comfortable 2-0 win at home to Kilmarnock, who had again rejected an offer from Jocky for their star striker Gary McCutcheon. Interestingly enough though, the big lad was not in the starting eleven, and without him, the visitors struggled. Mark Kerr opened the scoring on ten minutes, but it wasn't until the 89th minute that the points were secured, as substitute Smart celebrated his permanent move by sliding home from Easton's pass, and Dundee United ended the year in 2nd spot in the SPL table

Results from December 2001

(SPL unless stated)

Dundee United 2-0 Dundee

(Nicholas pen 5 ; Kerr 19)

Motherwell 1-1 Dundee United

(Cosgrove 35 ; Miller 90+1)

Hibs 1-2 Dundee United

(McConalogue 33 ; Baltacha 45+1 ; Kerr 89)

Dundee United 0-0 Celtic

Dunfermline 1-3 Dundee United

(Nicholas 11 ; S.Wilson 22 ; Smart 29 ; Nish 53)

Dundee United 2-0 Kilmarnock

(Kerr 10 ; Smart 89)

2001 was a superb year for us. Second in the table, two points behind Celtic, and eight clear of third place Rangers. The boys are performing admirably, particularly the defence, and the signing of Allan Smart gave us an extra option upfront. Man of the month (yet again) was Mark Kerr. The midfielder was sensational, chipping in with crucial goals and proving why he is quite possibly the best midfielder in the country at the moment

"Jocky had a magic touch. I still don't know to this day how he did it, but the ability he had, and the presence he had was just amazing. He was just one of those special people who had a real talent for management. In the transfer market, he was a genius, but he was terrific at having a top quality backroom staff around him. Young players like O'Donnell, Rankin, McLean, Cosgrove and Cullen all flourished under his tuturing, and many of them turned into top class players. Jocky was just amazing..."

John Blackley

January had started with a home game against Aberdeen, and the 0-0 draw wasn't really worth note. What was though, was the 67th minute incident on the pitch. Gary Teale had slid in for a tackle on Hicham Zerouali, and fairly, won the ball. The Moroccan had jumped up to avoid contact, but on his way down, had stamped deliberately on Teale's leg. It was ugly, and right in front of the dug-out. Needless to say, Jocky was furious, grabbing Zerouali and forcing him off the pitch, which earned him a red card. Ugly scenes accrued on the touchline, and in the end, the incident overshadowed the match

Afterwards, Jocky was quite forthcoming in the interview room...

"I want to talk about the incident aswell! The golden rule, is you do not attempt to injure a fellow player, and that's what Zerouali did. He stamped on Gary's leg, and the scar he has proves it. So I've got a message for Zerouali...why don't you come and pick on me? I will not stand for that, and I was quite prepared to show him how much I disapproved. It was a bloody disgrace, and next time we meet, he better be playing on the other wing!"

The Scottish F.A were not best pleased, deeming it as a threat to another player, and not only fining Jocky £25,000, but banning him for three games aswell, so he would have to spend the rest of the month in the stands. It wasn't that ban that riled him, it was the attitude that the F.A had, and he was to get himself in more hot water with them over the coming years...at one point, he nearly cost himself the chance to manager Scotland

Livingston were the next visitors to try and break the unbeaten run at Tannadice, but goals from Murray and Smart sealed the points and banished another opponent. One thing Jocky's side were good at was wrapping games up early on then holding out. Many times, they had the games sealed in the first 20 minutes or half an hour, and then they would hold out, and that is what Jocky was good at. Teams needed good defenders to win the trophies, and that is what Jocky prided himself on.

When he played, Jocky could dish it out, and many a time he did, but one thing he could also do was take it. One game that springs to mind was a 2-1 win for his side, who he captained, when they visited Pittodrie, but one contest, between Jocky and a centre forward, by the name of Jim McClure. He was a 6'4, 15 stone striker, who had the philosophy that if defenders wanted to kick him, he'd get there first. Within the opening 2 minutes, he had cleaned Jocky out twice, and he already had a cut on his leg. This went on for 75 miinutes, before Jocky had enough, took him out, was sent off, and McClure retaliated, also earning himself a red card. The two of them then scrapped in the tunnel, and it was this sort of scrap that earnt Jocky a fearsome reputation, only further enhanced by such incidents as with Lennon and Zerouali in the season.

A trip to Tynecastle in the Third Round of the Scottish Cup beckoned next, and Hearts had put some good performances in against Jocky's side over the season. They did it once again, taking a 7th minute lead through Andy Kirk, and though they earnt a replay, thanks to Craig Easton's equaliser, they only had Alan Combe to thanks as to why they didn't lose the game. The replay followed three days later, and goals from Lilley and Scott Wilson gave them a 2-0 lead. Kirk was a real thorn in the side, and grabbed yet another goal against the Tangerines in the 41st minute, but it made no difference and they progressed into the next round.

"There was many great moments, that's for certain, but I had some heartbreaking moments too. In 2001/02, that season was memorable, but the final day was a real bitter moment. We had been so consistent over the course of the campaign, and to take it to the final day, having been 10 points behind at one stage, was a phenomenal achievement. If we won at Celtic, we would be Champions, but they held us to a 1-1 draw. We'd played bloody well too, taken the game to them, and the lads deserved it. It was harsh on them..."

Jocky Keane

There were very few people in the game that Jocky didn't like or respect, but one of them was Rangers boss Dick Advocaat. It had all stemmed from earlier in the season, when the Dutchman had been very derogatory about Jocky and his players, almost calling them also-rans and saying they would never last the pace. Now, as they travelled to Ibrox, they were 9 points clear of the blue half of Glasgow, with a chance to almost take them out of the title race. This was what Jocky said to his team, and young Stevie Nicholas took the game by the scruff of the neck, running Craig Moore ragged. He scored after ten minutes, using his pace to beat the big Aussie, before rounding Klos and sliding home. Despite Arveladze equalising just two minutes later, United still controlled the game, and just 86 seconds into the second half, Nicholas grabbed his second, taking the ball on his chest beautifully, turning inside Moore and curling home with the outside of his right foot. It was a worthy goal to win the game, and when the final whistle blew, Jocky's fist pump said everything he needed to say, as his side went 12 clear of third placed Rangers. Claudio Reyna had earned his marching orders for a two footed lunge 14 minutes before full time, but the win was massive in the context of the season (and as it would turn out, the context of Scottish football)

The win over Rangers was followed by some comments from both managers, Advocaat bemoaning his team's bad luck, but Jocky wasn't buying it.

"Dick Advocaat can say what he likes about me, I really couldn't care less. But when he insults my players, that's a different matter. My lads worked bloody hard for that win, and all season they have, so for that arrogant Dutch idiot to come out with a comment like that is just ridiculous. Next time we play Rangers, he better watch his step. And that is a promise!"

Jocky was always fiercely loyal to his players, and they showed their appreciation in the next game, as Hearts came to Tannadice. McIlroy gave the visitors the lead, but three goals in a 24 minute spell sealed the game. Jamie Fullarton side footed home from the edge of the box, after a lay off from Mark Kerr, and Fullarton turned provider for the second, sliding in the overlapping Jamie McCunnie down the right, and the full back cut inside to fire a ferocious left footed shot into the corner, and just three minutes later, Steven Nicholas broke free to seal the points for his side

He certainly is Gav! 01/02 is still my favourite version of the CM/FM series

---

A 2-2 draw at St Johnstone was next on the agenda, as the games were coming thick and fast. To be fair to the home side, they played well and could quite easily have won the game. Craig Russell volleyed them ahead after a quarter of an hour, and it wasn't until the 63rd minute that the equaliser came. Paul Gallagher had to make several saves before then, and Russell missed a sitter just two minutes Mark Kerr headed home, evading his marker at the back post. Kemble fired St Johnstone in front, but Stevie Nicholas continued his excellent form with an 81st minute equaliser, their second of the game. A good, enthralling game was marred by Russell's injury time red card, but the draw saw Jocky's side slip behind Celtic further.

The League Cup Semi Final provided Jocky the opportunity to reach his first domestic final as a manager. He had been in three semi's before, and lost every time, so he was determined to make this fourth time lucky. He stuck with his regular cup side, the likes of McKinlay, Rankin, Smart and Buchan all starting the game, and it was John Rankin who was the star of the show. The young midfielder was instrumental in creating the chances for his side, and it was his pass that allowed Billy McKinlay to slot home an 8th minute goal (the one that turned out to decide the game). Chances came and went often, and though Aberdeen were never in the game, they still had chances, but Alan Combe kept them at bay. The final whistle went and Jocky's face told the whole story, elation at reaching Hampden Park and his first domestic final

Two dull derby games followed soon after, with a 0-0 draw in the fourth round of the Cup meaning a replay, one which was decided by a fifth minute Jamie Fullarton goal. Dundee had made the effort to come and defend, almost playing for two draws and penalties, but Jocky saw his side come through and advance through to round five, and a quarter final place

"Jocky had a real knack for winning pressure games. I can't recall ever seeing his side lose important games. They did lose a couple of semi finals in my time there, but they were pretty much unbeatable in the League Cup. Any games they needed to win to secure the League, or any pressure games against the Old Firm. He had a real knack for success, and a hunger that was unmatched. For me, the second best Scottish manager in the history of the game...behind me of course..."

Sir Alex Ferguson

More dropped points followed in the league, as a 1-1 draw, thanks to an uncharacteristic David McCracken error in the 89th minute, and come the end of the month, Celtic had opened up a 7 point gap at the top of the table

Results from January/February 2002

(SPL unless stated)

Dundee United 0-0 Aberdeen

Dundee United 2-0 Livingston

(Murray 6 ; Smart 18)

(Scottish Cup Round 3)

Hearts 1-1 Dundee United

(Kirk 7 ; Easton 16)

(Scottish Cup Round 3 Replay)

Dundee United 2-1 Hearts

(Lilley 7 ; Wilson 19 ; Kirk 41)

Rangers 1-2 Dundee United

(Nicholas 10, 47 ; Arveladze 12 ; Reyna s/o 76)

Dundee United 3-1 Hearts

(McIlroy 9 ; Fullarton 14 ; McCunnie 35 ; Nicholas 38)

St Johnstone 2-2 Dundee United

(Russell 15 ; Kerr 63 ; Kemble 73 ; Nicholas 81 ; Russell s/o 90+1)

(League Cup Semi Final)

Aberdeen 0-1 Dundee United

(McKinlay 8)

(Scottish Cup Round 4)

Dundee United 0-0 Dundee

(Scottish Cup Round 4 Replay)

Dundee 0-1 Dundee United

(Fullarton 5)

Dundee United 1-1 Motherwell

(Nicholas 31 ; Wood 89)

Eleven games, seven of them in February, but we ended a way off the Bhoys. They just don't seem to be dropping any points, and it looks like they have the title. We won't be giving it up though, not at all. Man of the months goes to Stevie Nicholas, his good form picking up some points for us, but his performance at Ibrox was enough to give him the award in itself...

Despite some excellent performances, and deservedly being second in the table, the title was slowly slipping away. Celtic were going like a relentless juggernaut, picking up win after win, and though he was a confident man, Jocky felt deep down that Celtic would secure the title quite soon. Ironically enough, his side's next trip was to Celtic Park, and a win for both sides was crucial. The night before the game, he and his first team coach John Blackley were having dinner together, talking about the game, when he was distracted. He had never had a real, serious relationship when he was a player, instead earning a reputation as being a casanova, but when a tall, leggy, blonde lady walked into the restaurant, it made Jocky sit up and take notice. He couldn't help himself, staring at her as she sat at the bar, and in the end, he excused himself from the table

"Hello. I'm sorry to interrupt"

She turned to face him, smiling as she did (always a good sign)

"It's OK. What can I do for you?"

"I was just wondering if I could buy you and your friend a drink?"

"Sure. I'll have a Vodka tonic, and a Martini and lemonade for Janine"

"Janine? So do I get to know your name?"

That beautiful smile flashed again

"Hannah. And you are...?"

"Jocky. I'm fairly new around here. Anyway, I must get back to my friend, before he stares a hole in my back"

"OK. Thanks for the drink..."

Jocky used all his best tricks, and pre-paid the bill, but as he requested, the receipt was given to Hannah, with his phone number written on it. He also arranged delivery of flowers to her after he left...

Jocky was in a buoyant mood as his team took to the field against Celtic, but the next 90 minutes sent him almost off the rails. The referee had a shocker of a game, and it started in the opening five minutes, a clear Bobo Balde handball in the box going unnoticed. Stevie Nicholas volleyed them ahead on 13 minutes, his 14th of the season, but after that, they had no luck what-so-ever. Mark Kerr played Nicholas through, and as he rounded the 'keeper he was brought down, yet referee Jim Murtagh booked him for diving. Neil Lennon was up to his usual tricks, and he probably should have been sent off, a wild lunge at Corrigan (who managed to avoid the tackle) going unpunished, the midfielder getting a 'stern warning'. Jocky was steaming on the bench, as he could feel the game slipping away, especially when, in the 71st minute, Didier Agathe curled home a free-kick (which wasn't a foul), before Joos Valgaeren headed home on 81 minutes. A disallowed goal five minutes from time was the final straw, and Jocky ran almost 50 yards to confront referee Murtagh, an action that earnt him another fine from the F.A

Jocky had made no secret of his disdain for the referee's performance in the days after the Celtic game, as he knew that the win for Celtic almost secured them the title. However, a phone call from Hannah had cheered him up, as did his teams performance in their next game, a 2-0 victory over Falkirk in the Scottish Cup Quarter Final. The win was sealed in the first 11 minutes of the game, as Allan Smart and Charlie Miller both scored, but Falkirk were never in the game in all fairness, and Jocky saw his side advance to their second Semi Final of the season

Their cup form had been excellent, and they had the chance to win the first piece of domestic silverware of the season, as they travelled to Hampden Park (Jocky's first trip as a manager) to face Motherwell in the League Cup Final. His team selection was easy enough, as he picked his regular cup side to take the field ;

Combe © ; Buchan, McCunnie, Caldwell, Wilson ; Easton, Paterson, Fullarton, Hannah, Miller ; Smart

The game started brightly, Easton and Miller both testing the 'keeper's reflexes, but on the quarter hour mark, the first goal came, Wilson's long clearance finding Paterson, who swung in a cross for Allan Smart to head home into the back of the net. It was an ideal start for Jocky's side, and it got even better just nine minutes later, as Craig Easton broke free of the defence to slide home into the goal for a 2-0 lead. Motherwell had not been in the game at all, but still found themselves going in at half time just a goal behind, a rare defensive error, as Caldwell slipped trying to pass the ball, and Kevin Twaddle nipped in and took advantage, finishing the ball beautifully past Alan Combe. Jocky didn't give his team an earful, or put pressure on them, just sent them out with a simple instruction. Win the second half. They did win, they won the second half 1-0, thanks to Jamie Buchan's goal just 67 seconds into it, the full back striking a right footed shot from 25 yards that flew in off the post, and that goal secured the win, and the League Cup for his side.

His side went into their next game, a home game against Hibs, fresh full of confidence on the back of securing the League Cup, and this showed, as they put in their most free-flowing, attacking performance of the season. McLeish's side had been, well, inconsistent to say the least, and they sat 8th in the table, so it was no surprise that they found themselves behind at the break, thanks to a Gary Teale goal on 29 minutes. It was a nice goal, Corrigan setting up Smart, who laid it off for Teale to curl home with the outside of his right foot. Smart was substituted at half time, and it was his replacement, Stephen McConalogue, who sealed the points, as a second half brace, which saw a header on 48 minutes, and then a beautifully deft little turn and finish on 63 minutes, secured a 3-0 win. It was made all the better by the fact Celtic lost 1-0 at Hearts, despite dominating the game, and the lead at the top was cut to six points.

Unbelievably, Celtic lost again just six days later, as they were beaten 2-1 at Celtic Park, thanks to two goals in the last five minutes from Peter Lovenkrands. Jocky had been with Hannah having a meal (that he had prepared, showing off his culinary skills), when he got a phone call off John Blackley to inform him of the result. This meant that a win against their rivals in the derby game would see them right back in the title race, but it was obvious that Dundee wouldn't lie down for them.

They started well, and Steven Nicholas fired home on ten minutes, after sterling work in the midfield by Mark Kerr and David Hannah, with Hannah sliding Nicholas through and he calmly took the goal. However, after that, things started going wrong from there, starting with Georgy Nemsadze's 28th minute equaliser. The half time talk came and went, but on the hour mark, Dundee took the lead. Nemsadze combined with Beto, and the Georgian round Combe and was just caught by the 'keeper. It was a penalty, and a red card, and Paul Gallagher could do nothing to stop Artero's penalty. It was all hand's on deck for Jocky's side, as Dundee tried to hold their lead, but it turned out to be in vain, as Stevie Nicholas grabbed his second and saved his side a point on 73 minutes. Jocky was unhappy that his side failed to take advantage of Celtic's slip, but he was almost resigned to the fact it wasn't going to b be his side's year

Results from March 2002

(SPL unless stated)

Celtic 2-1 Dundee United

(Nicholas 13 ; Agathe 71 ; Valgaeren 81)

(Scottish Cup Round 5)

Falkirk 0-2 Dundee United

(Smart 9 ; Miller 11)

(League Cup Final)

Dundee United 3-1 Motherwell

(Smart 15 ; Easton 24 ; Twaddle 33 ; Buchan 47)

Dundee United 3-0 Hibs

(Teale 29 ; McConalogue 48, 63)

Dundee 2-2 Dundee United

(Nicholas 10, 73 ; Nemsadze 28 ; Artero pen 60 ; Combe s/o 59)

Though the Celtic game was disappointing, they had a couple of slip ups so we are still in the title race. Stevie Nicholas takes man of the month plaudits, having passed 15 goals for the season, a return that both he and I are delighted with. Winning the League Cup was sweet, my first trophy as a manager, and going to Hampden, experiencing it all again..it makes the game worthwhile. The boys have been superb and I can't argue with their commitment, and I'm glad they got the trophy they deserved

For the second time in the season, Aberdeen were the opponents in a Semi-Final, and for the second time in the season, Jocky saw his side come out on top. It was harder than it ahould have been though, especially after Allan Smart scored twice in the opening six minutes of the match. Aberdeen gave it a good go, and Zerouali's goal just before the half hour gave them a glimmer of hope. There was plenty of bad blood between Zerouali and Jocky, including them both squaring up to each other, but his side won the game and advanced to their second final of the season, and leaving them still on for an incredible treble

Things with Hannah had been going well, mainly because she had absolutely no interest in what Jocky did for a living. In the sense that she didn't care about football whatsoever, so they always had plenty of things to talk about besides work. She was a teacher at the local high school, so she always needed a break, and though she was a bit younger than him (8 years to be exact, 33 to his 41) their relationship was getting stronger by the day. They had spent the evening together the night before his side welcomed Dunfermline to Tannadice, and maybe his happy mood rubbed off, as his side ran the visitors ragged. Mark Kerr started the rot, curling home from the edge of the box, before a header from Charlie Miller, and a terrific volley from Nicholas put them 3-0 up before the half hour, and though Junior Mendes pulled one back, Kerr's second of the game sealed the points and cut the gap to three points, after Celtic's draw with St Johnstone.

Following the game, Jocky waited by the fax machine for the fixtures for the split to come through, and when he saw them, his side had drawn the ultimate short straw

Motherwell (H)

Glasgow Rangers (A)

Aberdeen (H)

Hearts (A)

Glasgow Celtic (A)

He couldn't help but give it rye smile, as three tough away games, against 1st, 3rd and 4th in the table meant the title would be very tough to win.

They started however, with Motherwell, who owed their place in the top six split to a run of form that had seen them lose just one of their last 9 league games. After their trip to Tannadice, it was two from ten, as two Gary Teale goals, with a Stuart Elliott strike sandwiched in between, kept them in the hunt.

The table saw both Celtic and Dundee United having played 34 games, Celtic on 83 points, and Jocky's side second with 80, so with four games to go, anything could happen...and that wasn't including the fact they met in the final game of the season, a game which could (and ultimately would) decide the title destination

"I said it back then, and I still genuinely believe it now. We were robbed of the title in 2002. What were the chances of us getting both Celtic and Rangers away from home in the split? Yet Celtic got both us and Rangers at home? Please. Football is a game I love, but there is blatantly favouritism in the game. Successful sides get luck. I experienced that first hand, and it's a fact of life..."

Jocky Keane

Celtic had hit the brakes, and were dropping points left right and centre, and though Jocky saw his side lose their next game, a bruising encounter at Ibrox, in which 13 players were booked, with a Peter Lovenkrands strike seperating the sides, they were still right in the hunt. Jocky had started to feel the nerves, but being the man he was, he didn't let that show to his players. Training carried on as normal, as did the routines he used, but he knew that his side were close to a famous title win.

They went a step closer to it in the next game, as they blew Aberdeen away with a comprehensive 3-0 victory. Allan Smart opened the scoring on 24 minutes, as a Corrigan cross found his head and he guided his header into the bottom corner, but the striker could have had three before the break, forcing Jamie Langfield into two top drawer saves. The second half was much the same, domination from Jocky's side, but they had to wait until the final 12 minutes to seal the points, as Stevie Nicholas saw his shot parried into the path of Smart, who buried it, and David Hannah curled home a third three minutes from time, sending his side to within just a point of leaders Celtic, whose blip continued with a draw at Celtic Park against Rangers.

Three games remained in Dundee United's season, two vital SPL games, and the Scottish Cup final, and it could be three games that secured a famous treble for Jocky and his players. However, the first order of business was to find a new assistant manager. Maurice Malpas had refused to sign a new contract for three months, eventually frustrating Jocky so much that he terminated his deal, and it took just three days to bring in a new man. Gianpiero Ventrone had been recently released from Milan's coaching team, and he was delighted to join the revolution at Tannadice. Jocky was delighted to have the experienced Italian on board too, and he knew it would only help his side.

The away trip to Hearts was Ventrone's first game in the dugout for several months, and as it happened, his first ever in Scottish football. It was another comfortable game to negotiate, as Jocky saw Charlie Miller, on 51 minutes, and Allan Smart, on 78 minutes secure them a necessary win, a win which meant beating Celtic would secure them the Championship. It would be a title that they deserved, having stuck with Celtic all the way and never given up, but at Celtic Park it would be difficult

The Dundee Herald

United in Title Tilt...

Dundee United are just 90 minutes of football away from what would be a famous win over Celtic, and a win that would bring them the ultimate prize...the Scottish Premier League Title. They have doggedly fought all season, not giving up even when they were 12 points behind, and they are deservedly in with a chance of the Championship. Jocky Keane has instilled a confidence and steel in his side that is there for all to see, and everybody wants them to do well...we all love an underdog after all

What is all the more remarkable is that just a week after, they face Celtic again, this time at Hampden Park, as both sides fight for the Scottish Cup. The Tangerines won the first major trophy of the campaign, beating Motherwell in the League Cup Final, and if they win either of the games, it will be a superb campaign for them. Every player in the squad has stood up to be counted, players like Allan Smart, who has made a stunning impact, or Steven Nicholas, who, with 17 goals, has proven himself at the highest level. The miserly defence, Ian Murray, Scott Wilson, Martyn Corrigan and Steve Caldwell, all of them have been superb. However, the most remarkable thing about this season for Dundee United is the fact that they have done all this with Scottish players.

We here at the Herald want to wish Jocky Keane and his players the best of luck (apart from the two Dundee fans), and we want you to know that we will all be rooting for you. Whether you win or lose, it's been a fabulous campaign to watch and be a part of. Come on the Tangerines, we'll be cheering you on all the way

---

Finally, it was here. 37 League games, hard graft and sweat, anger and heartache, it all came down to 90 minutes of football. Celtic, top with 87 points, at home to Dundee United, second with 86 points. Celtic just had to avoid defeat to secure the title, but if Jocky Keane guided his side to victory, they would be SPL Champions. It was a game that many of the players had never experienced before, and the nerves were high. This was visible on the pitch, as both sides were slow to click into gear, as passes went astray, tackles flew in and neither side could get their rhythm. However, the first shot eventually came on 22 minutes, Stevie Nicholas laying off Mark Kerr, and the midfielder saw his shot tipped round the post. Celtic themselves had an effort saved, before John Hartson missed a golden opportunity on 36 minutes, finding himself unmarked in the area but slicing wide from 6 yards out. It looked like the sides would go in level at half time, but then, disaster struck for the visitors, as Didier Agathe crossed from the right hand side, and as Gary Teale stuck a leg out to divert it wide, the ball looped up and ended up in the goal, sending the home side in ahead. The second half started with a bang, and before Celtic had even touched the ball, Jocky saw his side draw level, Kerr and Easton combining to slide in Nicholas, and he fired home his 18th goal of the season. The remainder of the game saw both sides go back and forth, both 'keepers making saves, and Celtic were happy with the point. However, with two minutes left, the title nearly found it's way to Tannadice, the ball rolling loose, and David Hannah side footing the ball to the corner. That was until Rab Douglas tipped the ball round the post with a world class save, and when the final whistle blew, the Celtic bench danced with joy as they clinched the Championship

Jocky had taken it hard, almost like he had failed the players, failed the fans, but when they returned to Dundee for a hero's welcome, he was delighted. They still had one more game to go though, as they prepared to face Celtic in the Cup Final. Hannah had been slowly coming more into Jocky's life, and though she wasn't interested in football, he invited her to Hampden Park as his special guest.

Revenge was what he wanted, and he made that clear to his players. However, their fire and hunger was fuelled by an article in the Scottish Reporter that their season had been a one off, and next season they would be back in the doldrums. Not a popular opinion amongst Jocky and his players, so when he pinned it on the dressing room wall, it had the desired effect.

The game was a one sided affair, and Jocky saw his side put in what was probably their best performance of the season, as they annihilated the League Champions. Charlie Miller started the scoring, pouncing on a losse ball from a Kerr shot to slot home, and they had several chances to extend that lead, Nicholas, Kerr and Miller all forcing saves from Douglas. They had to wait until over an hour had passed for the second, but once Jamie Buchan extended the lead to 2-0, Miller got his second six minutes later, before David Hannah made it 4-0 less than a minute later. Celtic were shell shocked, and despite Jairo Castillo's goal, they had no idea what had hit them, and the 4-1 scoreline was enough to secure a cup double for Dundee United. Jocky's reaction to the fourth goal said it all, as he stood at the edge of his technical area, turned to face the crowd and held his arms up in the air in a victory pose. The season had been a vindication of his tactics, a vindication of his beliefs, and he had made himself a real hero among the Tannadice faithful

Results from April/May 2002

(SPL unless stated)

(Scottish Cup Semi Final)

Dundee United 2-1 Aberdeen

(Smart 2. 6 ; Zerouali 29)

Dundee United 4-1 Dunfermline

(Kerr 21, 83 ; Miller 22 ; Nicholas 29 ; Mendes 51)

Dundee United 2-1 Motherwell

(Teale 42, 73 ; Elliott 62)

Rangers 1-0 Dundee United

(Lovenkrands 45+2)

Dundee United 3-0 Aberdeen

(Smart 24, 78 ; Hannah 87)

Hearts 0-2 Dundee United

(Miller 51 ; Smart 78)

Celtic 1-1 Dundee United

(Teale O.G 45+1 ; Nicholas 47)

(Scottish Cup Final)

Celtic 1-4 Dundee United

(Miller 21, 69 ; Buchan 63 ; Hannah 70 ; Castillo 75)

Overall, the season was a success. Two Cup final wins, second place in the league, and a squad of all Scottish players. Man of the month is tight, but I had to split it between Charlie Miller and Allan Smart, who both chipped in with some crucial goals at the right times. I am absolutely delighted with the boys, and they all deserve their end of season holidays

The close season saw the players head off on their respective holidays (after the end of season awards, in which Jocky, Mark Kerr and Stevie Nicholas were all honoured), holidays they fully deserved. Jocky himself decided to take a break, as he and Hannah headed to the Lake District for a week of relaxation and rest. However, Jocky still managed to work, as he had his laptop and phone with him, and it was his close season work that secured three new transfers to the club (aswell as some serious raised eyebrows from Hannah). Stephen Pearson joined from Motherwell, costing the club £2,500,000, while his fellow club mate James McFadden also joined for £1,500,000. These were two young players who had bright futures ahead of them, and Jocky was delighted to welcome them to the Tannadice revolution. However, one player who had been instrumental the previous season did leave, as Rangers £6,000,000 bid for Jamie McCunnie was considered too good to be turned down, and the full back headed off to Ibrox. One final transfer was completed, as St Johnstone's midfielder John Paul McBride was another young addition to the squad. He had been quite influential for the Saints the previous year, scoring 12 goals and 14 assists, and his efforts had not gone unnoticed

"I have to say, though I had avoided relationships as a player, thinking they would be distracting, I really fell for Hannah over time. We had similar interests, but she had no interest in the thing I loved. Football. That summer, in 2002, we spent most of it in each others company, and we realised that we were made to be together. However, over the course of time, things would turn out sour, but she still holds a special place in my heart. She's the one woman I truly loved..."

Jocky Keane

The Scottish Times

Premier League Preview, 2002/03

Aberdeen

2001/02 ; 6th

The Dons had a decent year last year, getting into the top 6 split and finishing 6th, and falling in two semi finals, but this year will be a lot more difficult for them. Having lost several key players, and having very little money to work with, they should just be looking at staying in the table. Players like Jamie Langfield, Phil McGuire and Ross O'Donoghue are still at the club, but all three are being recruited highly, and the Pittodrie faithful will be lucky to see them still at the club

Prediction ; 9th

--

Celtic

2001/02 ; 1st

Title winners last year, but pushed all the way, and poor end of season form could have cost them dear. Spent £18 million over the summer so are expected to challenge on all fronts, and with players like Castillo, Grayson and Sutton, they can certainly score lots of goals. Title favourites, quite rightly, and we fully expect them to come out on top again

Prediction ; 1st

--

Dundee

2001/02 ; 11th

Only just avoided relegation last year, and will do well to do that again. Despite having players like Juan Sara, Beto and Fabian Caballero, their away record let them down, and they need to improve that form if they are to stay up. We think they have just enough in them to do it, but don't expect many surprises or a top half finish. Staying up is all they want, and if they manage it, then it will be a good achievement

Prediction ; 10th

--

Dundee United

2001/02 ; 2nd

Had a stunning season last year, winning both domestic cup competitions and being just one game from the title, but we think they might settle for a top six finish this year. Jocky Keane has gone for an all Scottish squad, and though we admire his philosophy, it is one we expect to be hard to keep up with. Saying that, they have added several new faces, including the £8,250,000 signing of Kilmarnock's Gary McCutcheon, which could propel them to bigger things, as his ability to score goals is undoubted.

Prediction ; 3rd

--

Hearts

2001/02 ; 4th

Last season, they finished 4th, but were 24 points off the top 2, which is quite a big gap. They have lost three players, and have been unable to add any, so they might struggle this year. Andy Kirk banged in 23 goals last season, and they have managed to keep hold of him so far, but they could struggle to find a goalscorer if the Irishman leaves. Anything in the top 8 will be a good season for the Jambos

Prediction ; 8th

--

Hibernian

2001/02 ; 10th

Inconsistency was the name of the game last season, and they really struggled away from home, winning just twice in the league. McLeish is trying to build a young squad, and they have some really talented players, they just need to convert that form on the pitch. They also struggled for goals, and shipped way too many, so if they carry on with that form, they might be facing another relegation battle. They should have enough to get out of it though

Prediction ; 7th

Kilmarnock

2001/02 ; 7th

Their 7th placed finish was down mainly to the 27 goals of Gary McCutcheon, but with the big striker now at Dundee United, they may not do that well again. They have used the £8,000,000 well and made several new additions, so if they start well then they could pull off a surprise. We think they will be looking to stay in the division, and whether it's by a point or ten, they won't mind too much

Prediction ; 5th

--

Livingston

2001/02 ; 9th

Happy to trundle along in the division, they finished 9th last year, and were more than happy with that. We have a sneaky feeling that with no new additions though, they could be looking at a real tough battle to stay up. They can score, but with a leaky defence, we think a bottom placed finish is more than likely for Livvy and a place in Division 1 to follow

Prediction ; 12th

--

Motherwell

2001/02 ; 5th

An excellent season, 5th place and League Cup finalists, and having spent quite a bit of money over the summer, they could expand on that. However, they were almost 30 points off the top, which is a huge gap, but if they improve their home form, they have a real chance of pushing for third. They have managed to keep hold of their key players too, which is always a bonus, and this can only help them out over the season

Prediction ; 4th

--

Rangers

2001/02 ; 3rd

After what was a disappointing third place finish, Rangers will be looking to bounce back, especially after finishing 9 points off 2nd place. Lots of transfer activity at Ibrox, both in and out, and Dick Advocaat's side must be expected to challeneg on all fronts. Money isn't an issue, but ---many fans believe that if they are to challenge, Advocaat must keep his opinions to himself and let his players do the talking

Prediction ; 2nd

--

St. Johnstone

2001/02 ; 8th

Excellent finish last year, but many expect them to struggle this year, especially since their most influential player, John Paul McBride, has moved to Dundee United. They will do very well to finish 8th (or anywhere near there) again, so if they finish 11th, don't be surprised. They would be happy with that though, as it means another season in the top flight

Prediction ; 11th

--

St. Mirren

2001/02 ; 1st in Division One

Promoted as Champions of Division One, and thanks to funding from their new owner, we feel they may have enough to not only survive, but finish fairly safely. Money has been spent, and the squad strengthened quite seriously, and they are certainly trying to establish themselves. If they do, then the fans will be delighted, but we here think they could cause a few shocks over the course of the season

Prediction ; 8th

The pre-season had seen several new additions to the squad, including Gary McCutcheon, the top scorer from last season. He was seen as the perfect man to play as a lone striker, and though Stevie Nicholas was excellent the previous season, it was vital they had more than one goalscoring option. Neil McCann also arrived in a £3,000,000 transfer from Rangers, giving Jocky and the team another option on the left hand side. Billy Dodds also arrived at his former club, mainly to be on the coaching side of things, while young David McEwan arrived from Livingston for £500,000, as a real hot prospect for the future. They would also be playing to a small crowd for the first three months of the season, as Jocky and the board had agreed that Tannadice needed expanding if they were to fill their potential, so 8,000 seats were being added, meaning just three stands were open for the time being.

They had been handed a very tough start for the season, with their first two games away from home, and the first of those was against reigning Champions Celtic. McCutcheon, Pearson and McCann all made their debuts in the game, but it was a Celtic debutant that did the damage, as young English midfielder Paul Grayson scored twice in ten minutes to fire the home side comfortably ahead. However, Jocky had instilled confidence and a resolute fighting spirit in his side, and despite being 2-0 down after 18 minutes, they went into the interval level, thanks to goals from Gary McCutcheon, on 32 minutes, as he rose to power home a header, and Stephen Pearson, just before half time, as he marauded through and slid the ball home past Douglas. However, they suffered a huge blow after that, as Gary Teale was given his marching orders after what was deemed a two footed lunge on Stephen Crainey. It was a harsh decision, but Jocky quickly re-arranged his side around for the second half. This proved to be a masterstroke, as the home side could not break down the visitors, and the final whistle brought an end to a pulsating 2-2 draw, an excellent result for United and one they were thrilled to escape with

"So we ended with an away game against Celtic, and started 2002 with one? OK, the cup final was something we couldn't do anything about, but don't tell me the fixtures are random. Utter rubbish. Celtic were always the favoured side in Scotland, which is why our achievements were twice as good as what they seemed"

Jocky Keane

Following on from the heroic draw against Celtic, there was another away game, as Jocky and his players travelled to Pittodrie to face Aberdeen. The home side were keen not to lose, and they set out to deny United any attacking prowess. It worked a treat, as every time there was a wave of orange going forward, it was cut out by five or six Aberdeen players. It was a brusing game too, with each side getting 5 bookings a piece, and tackles were flying in from all angles, so when the final whistle went, it was almost a blessing in disguise, but the 0-0 draw was not the best result for the visitors...although Aberdeen's reaction told the story, they were delighted with it.

It didn't take too much longer for the team to pick up their first win of the season, as Hibs paid a visit to Tannadice. They were gritty and determined throught the first half, trying to stop all the attacks of the home side, McCutcheon in particular getting frustrated by his lack of opportunities, but on 69 minutes, things took a turn for the better, as Steven Nicholas latched on to a long clearance from Scott Wilson, rounded the 'keeper and slotted into the open goal. The points were sealed just five minutes later, as Jamie Fullarton curled home a beautiful free-kick, and the 2-0 win was one to kick start their season, and a vital win too.

"Jock, what are you doing?"

He was distracted by John Blackley walking into the room, his head shooting up from the laptop

"Sorry John. It's Hannah's birthday next week and I'm looking for a decent piece of jewellery to give to her. I'm rubbish at this sort of thing though"

"Give it here, I'll find something"

Jocky had never been good at searching for presents for anybody, let alone women, so he quite happily left his first team coach to browsing as he went out to check on training. He had been impressed with several players over the pre-season, but none more so than young midfielder John Rankin. He had made 8 appearances the previous year, having been solid in all of them, and he had really improved over the summer. He had filled out, gaining more strength, and he had one precious commodity that all managers like. The ability to use his left foot. His form had been so good that he was drafted into the squad for the next game, which saw Motherwell as the visitors, and as it turned out, he had a super game, coming off the bench after 12 minutes due to Craig Easton's injury. It was his pass that sent Gary Teale down the right, and the winger's cross found Jamie Fullarton, who powered home his header. The midfielder then turned provider, as he slid in McCutcheon, and the big man turned and fired past the 'keeper. Rankin laid McCutcheon off for a third six minutes later, as he curled home into the top corner, and McCutcheon's knockl down found Rankin, who dummied the ball and Mark Kerr slotted home for a 4-0 half time lead. It had been a rampant performance, and they took it easy in the second 45 minutes, only Stuart Elliott's 47th minute consolation coming, but it seemed as if they were getting back to full form.

The team were starting to gel, te new signings clicking into place, and they won their third home game on the bounce as Kilmarnock came to Tannadice. It wasn't a thrilling game as such, but the 2-0 win, with goals from Neil McCann (his first for the club) and a penalty from Stevie Nicholas were enough to seal the points. However, the game had some black marks on it when both Colin Meldrum and Gary McCutcheon were sent off. Meldrum was first to go, his tackle bringing down the big striker for the penalty, but McCutcheon's was possibly a little harsh. He had been booked in the first half, but he went up for a header with Jerome Vareille, and adjudged to have used his elbow, was shown a second yellow and given his marching orders. It was harsh, and put a dampener on the result, but the 2-0 win pushed them up to second behind Celtic

Results from August/September 2002

(SPL unless stated)

Celtic 2-2 Dundee United

(Grayson 8, 18 ; McCutcheon 32 ; Pearson 44 ; Teale s/o 45+1)

Aberdeen 0-0 Dundee United

Dundee United 2-0 Hibs

(Nicholas 69 ; Fullarton 74)

Dundee United 4-1 Motherwell

(Fullarton 15 ; McCutcheon 23, 29 ; Kerr 37 ; Elliott 47)

Dundee United 2-0 Kilmarnock

(McCann 22 ; Nicholas pen 62 ; Meldrum s/o 62 ; McCutcheon s/o 70)

We recovered well from an average start, and the first half of the Kilmarnock game may be the best we've played under my management. Gary Mac has taken a while to get going, bit of a stop start time, but player of the month has to be Jamie Fullarton, his consistent performances, aswell as two goals and three assists, allowed us to move into second spot in the table

"It had been a long while since the club had experienced European football, and the whole place was excited. It may not have been the Champions League, but knowing that Inter Milan were our opponents, and they were coming to Tannadice...it sent chills up the spine. Great European nights were what football is about..."

Mark Kerr

--

The whole club was excited about the Inter Milan games that they had coming up, but before that they had a derby game to negotiate. Their city rivals had been struggling at the start of the season, and were without a win in the league thus far, so Jocky and his side made the short trip expecting a win. Though this was always a dangerous attitude to have, it turned out to be the right one, as a 70th minute Steven Nicholas goal was enough to seal the points, and a fourth consecutive win. It wasn't the best game, as neither side could make the best of their chances, but a defensive error cost Dundee the game, and Nicholas grabbed his third of the season to secure the win

The excitement for the players when they stepped off the coach outside the San Siro was obvious. Some of them had never played in a stadium like it before, and the awe on some of the younger faces, like Nicholas, Rankin and Corrigan, was something that Jocky was pleased to see. He allowed his players to train on the pitch, just to get them used to it, but deep down, he knew that their European adventure had a chance of ending at the very first hurdle.

The game arrived, and as expected, Inter were dominant, and Paul Gallagher was forced to make three saves in the opening few minutes. It took a while for United to get going, but when they did, it more than matched the home side. Ian Murray curled a free-kick against the bar, McCutcheon headed wide, and Kerr forced a save, but it was a thrilling game. Both sides gave it their all, and when German referee Max Holker blew the whistle for full time, Dundee United were absolutely thrilled to be bringing Inter back to Tannadice with a 0-0 draw, as it meant they had a great chance of going through

"We were superb in that Inter game. Though we only drew 0-0, the fact we had done it in the San Siro, and given them a terrific game, it meant everything. Paul Gallagher and the four defenders were brilliant, and Mark Kerr was, as always, sensational. That was one of the special moments for me..."

Jocky Keane

There were some tired legs after the effort against Inter, but with a home game against Rangers, they had little time to rest up. The start to the season for the Ibrox club had been mixed, and they knew this was a game they had to win to prove they were still in with a chance of the title. As it happened, the game was a one man show, Ian Murray absolutely dominating the show. It was the full back who opened the scoring on 40 minutes too, his overlapping run being found by Nicholas, and Murray slammed the ball into the bottom corner of the goal. To go in ahead at half time was crucial, and it gave them a lot of confidence to go on and attack in the second half. John Rankin tested the 'keeper, Murray slammed a free-kick against the bar, and Nicholas headed wide, but as it came to it, missing the chances cost them dearly, and Tore Andre Flo latched on to a Jamie McCunnie pass (how ironic) and slid the ball home underneath Gallagher. Both sides looked like going for the win, and both Gallagher and Klos had to make saves, but with five minutes to go, the game was won, as a lovely passing move saw David Hannah slide home Mark Kerr, and the midfielder curled the ball home into the goal and sealed the points. They had a pretty good record against the blue half of Glasgow, and they were almost knocking them off their perch, for want of a better phrase

Ian Murray had been the stand-out performer against Rangers, and he was in their next game, one which saw St Mirren push them all the way. It was a pretty poor team performance, and though he hated to say it, it looked like they missed McCutcheon, as he was the only one who could hold the ball up, and use his strength to muscle defenders off the ball. It was a scrappy goal which decided the game, as Murray capitalised on a defensive error and slipped the ball past the goalkeeper to seal the points and send them, albeit temporarily, top of the table and give them a fifth successive win.

"Right lads. We played well in the first game, but I don't particularly want to go out of Europe at the first hurdle. I'm sure you don't either, so let's go out there and show these Italians what we're made of. Now, here's the team. Paul in goal, Ian and Martyn at full back, Scott and David at centre half. Gary, I want you running the wings, and attacking the full backs, their left side is a weak link. Neil, same goies for you, run at the right back. David and Mark, holding in the middle, although Mark, I want you supporting Stevie, filling in when he bombs forward. Gary, I want you holding the ball up, setting up Stevie and Mark as they support you. We can do this lads, now go out there and prove that we belong with the elite"

The team talk had been, well, a real motivation for the players, and it showed in their performance on the pitch. Thet started like a house on fire, really testing the Inter defence, but the Italians showed their resilience to come back into the game. Chances came and went, with both sides hitting the woodwork, Inter seeing a goal disallowed, but with less than ten minutes to go, Dundee United took the initiative, substitute Craig Easton jinking inside and firing a superb left footed shot into the corner, flying it past the Inter 'keeper. It was a crucial goal, and it allowed the heads of the players to shoot up, and just four minutes, Tannadice was sent into ruptions when big Gary McCutcheon rose highest to head home Easton’s cross and fire his side to a famous victory

Following the Inter result, everybody was on a high, and the unfortunate side to visit Tannadice after the game were Hearts. I say unfortunate because they got a battering, and there was nothing they coul do about it. It was a dominant, one sided performance that saw the Jambos not even get a sniff of the goal. Charlie Miller’s volley started it, on 20 minutes, before two second half goals in the space of three minutes sealed it. First, Nicholas and Hannah combined to play in Gary Teale, who to poked home, before Teale turned provider, pulling a low ball back across the box for David Hannah to run on to and slam into the bottom corner. It was one of those games for Hearts, and manager Jim Jefferies went on record as to say that he felt Dundee United were serious contenders for the title (although he would leave for Old Trafford before the climax of the season)

Results from October 2002

(SPL unless stated)

Dundee 0-1 Dundee United

(Nicholas 70)

(UEFA Cup Round One Leg One)

Inter Milan 0-0 Dundee United

Dundee United 2-1 Rangers

(Murray 40 ; Flo 63 ; Kerr 85)

St Mirren 0-1 Dundee United

(Murray 16)

(UEFA Cup Round One Leg Two)

Dundee United 2-0 Inter Milan

(Easton 82 ; McCutcheon 86)

Dundee United 3-0 Hearts

(Miller 20 ; Teale 63 ; Hannah 66)

An absolutely superb month for the boys, as we concede just one goal in our six games, aswell as scoring nine, and recorded a famous win over Inter Milan. Best player of the month was quite easy this month though, as Ian Murray bagged the award for his consistently good performances, and his four assists capped off his two goals nicely. We are in a great position in the League table, and if we can play like we did against Inter through the rest of Europe, there is no reason we can’t have a good run to the end

"This may sound a daft question…"

Jocky and Hannah were sat enjoying some dinner at her house when she piped up with a question

"but how come you’ve never been married"

A wry smile crept over Jocky’s face, and he turned to Hannah with a look that said it all…

"To be honest, I never thought I’d have the time. As a player, I just concentrated on my career"

"Doesn’t give a great impression that Jock…way to make a girl smile"

The cheeky face she had pulled gave everything away, and they playfully messed about

"The age difference doesn’t bother you then? The fact I’m 10 years older than you?"

"Not at all…should it?"

A shrug, followed by a confused look

"Probably not, no…you know how people get sometimes though"

A third round tie in the League Cup was the opening game of the month, and as had been his policy in the previous season’s winning campaign, he stuck with the youngsters and reserve players, just to give them some game time. He had wanted to play Allan Smart, but the striker had picked up a knock in training so it meant that Billy Dodds would make a rare appearance, while Stephen O’Donnell, John Rankin and Alan Combe all made appearances. Aberdeen were the visitors, and they certainly fancied their chances, giving it a right good go and looking to knock the holders out. Combe was forced to make several saves, including a world class one from Zerouali, but the game changed in extra time, and though neither wanted to lose, only the home side pushed on to win it, a slide rule pass from David Hannah allowing Dodds to deftly chip the ball over the onrushing Langfield. The win was scrappy, but some cup games are like that, and they had settled themselves down and claimed their way into round four

There followed another hard fought win away at Almondvale, as a gallant Livingston side gave it their all, but they still came off second best thanks to Mark Kerr's 64th minute strike, but it was a newspaper article a couple of days later that would shape their season, of all things...

The Dundee Herald

United All Over the Place

Stuart Ringwald

This is, for me at least, one of those seasons that the statistics and the results don't match. Dundee United may be second in the SPL table, but I haven't been impressed with them at all. This is mainly due in part to the fact that their new signings don't seem to be fitting into the system.

Gary McCutcheon, who signed for what many considered an exorbitant fee of £8,250,000, has scored just four goals, while Neil McCann has looked slow off the mark. Pearson has made three starts, and McBride has hardly started, so Tannadice fans, be prepared to see your team slide down the table. McCutcheon was signed and expected to bang in 25+ goals, and the way he has started, he looks like 15 could be generous.

It may be slightly obvious to say, but their over achievement last season could cost them dearly this year, and I fully expect Celtic to romp to another SPL title, and Rangers to challenge them as normal...

---

The article infuriated Jocky, and to motivate his players, he pinned it up on the dressing room wall. The writer, Stuart Ringwald, was now in Jocky's book, and he knew that next time their paths met, then he would get his revenge...

Unfortunately for Motherwell, they were the next opponents for Jocky and his side, and though they had done nothing to upset him, he took out his frustrations with the newspaper on them. Gary McCutcheon in particular was the star performer, as a brace in the first half, a header from a Teale cross and a nicely taken strike from the edge of the area was enough for the points, but the former Kilmarnock man knew he should have been going away with the match ball, as he missed three excellent chances in the second half. The result however, proved to be ideal, as Rangers managed to defeat Celtic in the Old Firm Derby the next day, and this sent United clear by a point.

Archived