England (All Possible)

Italy (All Possible)

Spain (All Possible)

Netherlands (All Possible)

Belgium (All Possible)

Germany (All Possible)

France (All Possible)

Players Loaded: Large database

I will start unemployed with a Sunday League Footballer reputation.

2010/2011 (SEASON 1)

welling.jpg

Welling United Chairman Paul Websday fired player/manager Jamie Day at 2 October because the team was in 22nd place in the Blue Square Bet South and didn't have enough confidence that Day could turn things around. What is surprising is that he hired Alex Versteeg, an inexperienced manager with a double passport (English/Dutch).

-------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to try to avoid relegation with the current team and hopefully mix some talents in already. I managed to negotiate a full time contract and this will be one of my first goals, try to convince everybody to sign a full time contract based on the same terms as their current one or as close as possible. I will also fire my staff probably and bring in my own, focussing on working with youngsters and probably fitness training in the beginning. Although I do like nice football, all will depend on the state of the team and of course saving the club from relegation is my first priority.

First month in the books with mixed results:

1. H Leiston (FA 3rdQ) : 4-0
  2. A Maidenhead (BSS) : 1-0
  3. H Havant & W (FA 4thQ) : 2-2
  4. A Havant & W (FA 4thQ) : 0-1
  5. A Basingstoke (BSS) : 0-2

I decided to change the system to 4-1-2-2-1, knowing that it might take some time to gell, but with the available material and the amount of games left in the season, I have confidence that it will work out. The game against Havant at home should have been won, avoiding a replay and several tired players against Basingstoke. Also already got my first serious issue with a player based on the new private chat funtion. DC Andrews doesn't want to try to play DM C for the team and as a result of the heated discussion and unprofessionalism showed, placed on the transfer list. In any case I'll need to look soon to the salary structure and probably dump some more players in favour for home grown talent.

@ deadfncat: thanks

Month of November didn't bring much good. I think I'm even quite happy not to have been fired. As mentioned in the previous thread I tried to change the system to something more attacking, but it was too complex too early. Of course something I could have known and is easily my own responsability. So after that failed experiment, with morale at a terrible low, and a FA Trophy game against an amateur squad, I decided to move back to 4-4-2. The result was a 2-0 win in a match we (of course) completely dominated, maybe a bit short on expectations. In the next round we will receive the Blue Square Bet Premier League leaders Luton. The last game of the month was away against #7 Farnborough which we lost 2-0, but two red cards, one of them already in the 29th minute were mostly responsible. With 10 man we had some chances, even after the 1-0, but after the 2nd red card the game was lost. So far we are still 22nd, now 7 points away from the safe 19th place. Of course still a lot of games to be played, but things need to go better soon.

December was a lot better:

H Eastleigh (BSS) : 2-0

H Luton (BSP, FA Trophy) : 0-3

A Boreham Wood (BSS) : 1-0

A Dartford (BSS) : 2-0

H Bromley (BSS) : 2-3

The last game was kind of dissapointing after the nice run before, but several injuries, tired players and a suspension resulted in only three regulars in the team. Youngsters Gray (who scored in his debute against Boreham Wood) and Right Midfielder Collier got the opportunity to gather valuable experience. We are currently 21st, but only three points away from a safe spot.

January is in the books:

H Dartford (BSS) : 1-0

A Lewes (BSS) : 0-1

H Staines (BSS) : 2-2

A Thurrock (BSS) : 1-0

H Dover (BSS) : 1-1

A Dorchester (BSS) : 1-0

The results are getting a bit better and the players are becoming finally a bit happier. Again had an incident with a center defender who told he that he told his teammates I was trying to dump him from the club. In the following private chat he didn't want to back down, so he's now transfer listed and will be gone soon. Due to the recent results we are finally out of the relegation zone, finding ourselves now at the 18th place, 1 point clear from the last relegation spot. So far didn't hear anything from the board on a contract extension, so not really sure if I will still be managing Welling next season. In all cases if they offer me a lower wage or wait until the last day, I won't accept and find a new challenge.

A very successful month of February with only wins. The team is really clicking and without injuries and suspensions the players are really starting to play as a group.

Results

H Braintree (BSS) : 1-0

A Hampton & Richmond (BSS) : 6-1

H Maidenhead : 2-0

H Weston-super-Mare : 2-0

League Position : 11th

Achievements:

Won Manager of the month Award

Transfers:

Out: DRL / MRC James Wood to Altrincham

---------------------------------------------------------------

General Information:

Club : Welling United

Expectations : Mid-Table Position

Contract : 30/6/2011 (4 months)

Assistant Manager : Paul Wilson

March Update:

A more difficult month, partly due to the quality of the opposition (i.e. league leader Ebbsfleet), but also because we had to play more often on short rest. The first team of Welling seems to be good enough to compete for the title, but the backups are far from ready. Two (own) youth players got the chance to show what they were worth. DL Howard and DC Berry played when the regular first team players were tired. Howard didn't play well, Berry held his own against Chelmsford.

Results

A Bishop's Stortford (BSS) : 2-2

H Dorchester (BSS) : 1-0

A Eastleigh (BSS) : 0-0

H Ebbsfleet (BSS) : 0-1

A Chelmsford (BSS) : 1-1

League Position : 10th

Achievements : None

Transfers : None

Manager Status

Still no news from the Welling board with only three months left before my contract ends. There are only 7 games left in the season, so I made up my mind that I won't sign an extension if they haven't proposed me a similar or better contract before the end of April.

Team Update

At lower league teams with a bad financial situation I always try to end up with players that came up through our own youth system. So no transfers so far and there won't be any the next offseason in case I stay. I did re-sign several current players since the current youth players aren't good enough to compete, but reservers are mostly shipped out already. In the current first team we only have players that had a fixed contract already:

GK Stewart

DR Lindegaard

DL Obersteller

DC Parkinson

DC Omogbehin

MC Murray

MC Healey

MR Fazakerley

ML PiresClub

SC Clarke

SC Whitnell

General Information

Club : Welling United

Expectations : Mid-Table Position

Contract : 30/6/2011 (3 months)

Assistant Manager : Paul Wilson

April Update:

April was a dissapointing month in a lot of ways. The results weren't there which wasn't exactly speaking in my favor since the Welling board were mulling over my position. I still think they should have given me a bit more respect since the club was dead last when I took over.

Results

A Woking (BSS) : 1-2

H Farnborough (BSS) : 0-3

A St. Albans (BSS) : 1-2

H Thurrock (BSS) : 3-1

A Braintree (BSS) : 1-2

H Basingstoke (BSS) : 0-1

Final League Position : 16th

No news from the club after the last match made me decide to hand in my contract and to manage somewhere else next season. I do hope that my reputation increased a bit during my spell with Welling. I hope I'll get a chance in the Serie C2 or in the Spanish 2nd division, but every club will do.

So far no reaction from the board after my resignation, neither from the press and no exodus of staff members...so a lot of work needs to be done :-)

[b]Season         Team                      Country          League                    League Finish          Achievements[/b]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/2011      Welling United            England          Blue Square South         16th                   Took over in October  

2011/2012 (Season 2)

Salisbury City FC (Blue Square Bet South)

Salisbury_City_FC.png

Introduction

Fortunately I didn't have to wait until October to find a job this year. The first two offers were on the same day, and out of respect, the only ones I would consider (not that there would be many more). Both Hednesford and Salisbury earned promotion, and after comparing the two I settles for Salisbury City.

There is a big wage budget available and also 20k transfer budget. The media is projecting us as one of the favorites and the board wants a respectable league position.

Manager Priorities offseason

- Find an Assistant Manager

- Assess the team and make a short list of needs

- Bring in the rest of the staff

Good luck with Salisbury

I have been given 1 year contracts in my save and offers of a new contract have always come one the 2nd of may for me

Thanks for the feedback! Hmmm next time I will have to wait one extra day..

I ended up at Salisbury too after failing to save Bishop's Strotford from relegation. I thought the budget was quite generous but I ended up blowing through it anyway. Good luck.

Glad to see another fellow BSS manager! I'm working on my Braintree team right now, just won the BSS league and promoted in my first year. I think you're right; simpler football is the way to go in this level. I'm playing a 4-3-3 which is working great.

Best of luck!

cerud

I ended up at Salisbury too after failing to save Bishop's Strotford from relegation. I thought the budget was quite generous but I ended up blowing through it anyway. Good luck.

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised they are seen as favorites by the media with mostly youth players. They do have a relatively "big" budget for transfers and I'm allowed to spend 7.9k for wages, which is also not bad for this level. Due to this budgets I'm a bit torn as I like to build from within normally, but the expectations combined with the budget made me decide to sign a few players anyway. Thanks for following :-)

Glad to see another fellow BSS manager! I'm working on my Braintree team right now, just won the BSS league and promoted in my first year. I think you're right; simpler football is the way to go in this level. I'm playing a 4-3-3 which is working great.

Best of luck!

cerud

Thanks for your comment :-) I'm currently on a 4-4-2 again, but as soon as my career stabilises a bit I think I will move to a 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 type of setup.

Archived