Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Gilbertos a good player. However, as good as he is in a middle 3, he has become increasingly average in a 4-4-2, and I expect us still to stick to that in 90% of games, so we do have to be sure of a Cesc partner imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He;s distribution isnt great, but thats not his job, he gives the back four protection and covers eboue or flamini brilliantly when they go boming forward. Theres been 3 or 4 occasions where eboue was caught upfeild, but bertie saved it from it being an issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what I said then?

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

Gilbertos a good player. However, as good as he is in a middle 3, he has become increasingly average in a 4-4-2, and I expect us still to stick to that in 90% of games, so we do have to be sure of a Cesc partner imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He;s distribution isnt great, but thats not his job, he gives the back four protection and covers eboue or flamini brilliantly when they go boming forward. Theres been 3 or 4 occasions where eboue was caught upfeild, but bertie saved it from it being an issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what I said then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no, im saying he is more important in a 4-4-2 than he is in the 4-5-1.

Whether having a player of that style is more important in a 4-4-2 is debatable. Bert's performances this season? I nkow where he's been better tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

his performances have been poor but thats not the formation thats Arsenal playing bad. He has played well in the 4-4-2 in previous years. I also find it amusing how everyone was saying how much Arsenal were missing him while he was inj last year (when he came back we went on a winning run).

In a 4-4-2 he has more attacking responsibilities. In a 4-5-1 his role is emphasised more- he has more players to cover for and therefore sticks to it. He has more passing options with two attacking midfielders instead of 1 (in the 4-5-1).

I think Ratinho has a point here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

In a 4-4-2 he has more attacking responsibilities. In a 4-5-1 his role is emphasised more- he has more players to cover for and therefore sticks to it. He has more passing options with two attacking midfielders instead of 1 (in the 4-5-1).

I think Ratinho has a point here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i swear i made that point in this thread somewhere months ago

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

OPTA claims the following:

Player/Passes/Pass %

Francesc Fabregas 1,690 76%

Gilberto 1,527 74%

Robert Pires 1,171 74%

Kolo Toure 1,105 78%

Lauren 1,085 76%

Sorry about formatting- just some food for thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That proves how made Gilberto is really. Pires and Cesc try more creative passes, yet they still have an equal or better pass % than someone who generally just passes a few metres.

Look right, listen to me: van Persie can't fill in at left mid only if really need him to, but it's not good to have him as a back-up.

Our squad:

GK: Lehmann/[GK]

DR: Eboue/Gilbert

DL: Cole/Clichy

DC: Senderos/[DC]

DC: Toure/Djourou

MR: Ljungberg/Hleb

ML: Reyes/[ML]

MC: Fabregas/Flamini

MC: [MC]/Diaby

ST: Henry/van Persie

ST: Adebayor/[sT]

That is leaving out: Lauren, Campbell, Cygan, Gilberto, Pires and Theo. So what we need is a back-up DC and Striker, a starting MC, a Goalkeeper that can push Lehmann, and possibly a ML. The latter depends on whether Pires leaves and if Wenger thinks Theo could cope next year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey G:

Look right, listen to me: van Persie can't fill in at left mid only if really need him to, but it's not good to have him as a back-up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that's where he started at Feyenoord, which is why I've included him in a list of left sided options.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey G:

Oh and I also have a feeling that once the world cup is over, Lehmann will start to not be in such good form. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No reason to. If we're honest, remove the two or three mistakes in a short period back when he was getting criticised, and he didn't really deserve the criticism then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

Look right, listen to me: van Persie can't fill in at left mid only if really need him to, but it's not good to have him as a back-up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that's where he started at Feyenoord, which is why I've included him in a list of left sided options. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might have done, but it wouldn't suit his playing style.

Oh and I also have a feeling that once the world cup is over, Lehmann will start to not be in such good form. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No reason to. If we're honest, remove the two or three mistakes in a short period back when he was getting criticised, and he didn't really deserve the criticism then. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He seems to have his eyes so set on the world cup and getting his place, that it's driving him forward and making him play out of his skin. But once he's been to it and got knocked out by the winners (England), he'll feel empty not having that drivng force anymore and his form will drop.

i reckon if arsene is going for top players to go into the first team or close to it he won't buy more than 3. i think the most need we would have would be a central defender, a centre midfielder and a keeper.

in an ideal world a clinical finisher would be lovely to but we are not going to get one as the ones that are any good will be costing 20m plus.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GingerFurball:

I thought that's where he started at Feyenoord, which is why I've included him in a list of left sided options. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might have done, but it wouldn't suit his playing style. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He drifts in a lot and doesent really give the width, but then again neither does pires.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

i reckon if arsene is going for top players to go into the first team or close to it he won't buy more than 3. i think the most need we would have would be a central defender, a centre midfielder and a keeper.

in an ideal world a clinical finisher would be lovely to but we are not going to get one as the ones that are any good will be costing 20m plus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

while a good CB can be found for peanuts in your local Tesco's now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

in an ideal world a clinical finisher would be lovely to but we are not going to get one as the ones that are any good will be costing 20m plus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

while a good CB can be found for peanuts in your local Tesco's now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_confused.gif

while a good CB can be found for peanuts in your local Tesco's now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif, my point is finding a good cb isnt easy either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Fabregas expects semi-final win

Teenage midfielder Cesc Fabregas is certain Arsenal will beat Villarreal to reach the Champions League final.

The 18-year-old Spaniard played a pivotal role in Arsenal's 2-0 aggregate win over Juventus in the quarter-finals of the competition.

Fabregas said: "Of course, we will be in Paris. We have eliminated Ajax in the group stages, then Real Madrid and now Juventus.

"There's no stopping us now - we are capable of going all the way."

He added: "Villarreal have proved to everyone they are great team.

"They seem to know what they are doing and they play football that fans enjoy.

"I think it's going to be a thrilling semi-final between two teams that play attacking football and have no fear."

Fabregas, who joined Arsenal from Barcelona in September 2003, has been a fixture in the Gunners' midfield following the departure of Patrick Vieira to Juventus last summer.

And he eclipsed the former Arsenal skipper when they went head-to-head in the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final.

He said: "I don't like to be compared with Patrick Vieira. He's a very different player to me.

"I have been fortunate to train with him and play alongside him for a whole season and that is something I will never forget.

"I have learned a lot from him but I don't consider myself a similar player to him.

"Patrick is unique. Patrick will always be Patrick and I'm just trying to go my own way."

Despite his own stunning displays, Fabregas says Arsenal's young defence has been the inspiration behind their passage to the Champions League semi-finals.

"All credit has to go to them. They have not conceded a goal in eight games and this is easy to say but very difficult to achieve nowadays in football.

"We hope this will continue for the good of Arsenal but I truly think our defenders deserve 10 out of 10.

"They have been an inspiration to the rest of the team."

Fabregas's outstanding form has led many to predict he will win a place in Spain's World Cup squad.

"My main priority right now is to help Arsenal finish fourth in the league," he said.

"I also want to help my club reach the (Champions League) final and if that allows me to make my dream come true and play for Spain in the World Cup, it would be great.

"I know I have to take it one step at a time.

"I'm going through a great time right now and I want to take full advantage without thinking about other things that might affect my play." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it inconceivable that after two wins against such big names in the previous rounds, that the side might get a bit too arrogant and **** up in the semi?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Fabregas expects semi-final win

Teenage midfielder Cesc Fabregas is certain Arsenal will beat Villarreal to reach the Champions League final.

The 18-year-old Spaniard played a pivotal role in Arsenal's 2-0 aggregate win over Juventus in the quarter-finals of the competition.

Fabregas said: "Of course, we will be in Paris. We have eliminated Ajax in the group stages, then Real Madrid and now Juventus.

"There's no stopping us now - we are capable of going all the way."

He added: "Villarreal have proved to everyone they are great team.

"They seem to know what they are doing and they play football that fans enjoy.

"I think it's going to be a thrilling semi-final between two teams that play attacking football and have no fear."

Fabregas, who joined Arsenal from Barcelona in September 2003, has been a fixture in the Gunners' midfield following the departure of Patrick Vieira to Juventus last summer.

And he eclipsed the former Arsenal skipper when they went head-to-head in the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final.

He said: "I don't like to be compared with Patrick Vieira. He's a very different player to me.

"I have been fortunate to train with him and play alongside him for a whole season and that is something I will never forget.

"I have learned a lot from him but I don't consider myself a similar player to him.

"Patrick is unique. Patrick will always be Patrick and I'm just trying to go my own way."

Despite his own stunning displays, Fabregas says Arsenal's young defence has been the inspiration behind their passage to the Champions League semi-finals.

"All credit has to go to them. They have not conceded a goal in eight games and this is easy to say but very difficult to achieve nowadays in football.

"We hope this will continue for the good of Arsenal but I truly think our defenders deserve 10 out of 10.

"They have been an inspiration to the rest of the team."

Fabregas's outstanding form has led many to predict he will win a place in Spain's World Cup squad.

"My main priority right now is to help Arsenal finish fourth in the league," he said.

"I also want to help my club reach the (Champions League) final and if that allows me to make my dream come true and play for Spain in the World Cup, it would be great.

"I know I have to take it one step at a time.

"I'm going through a great time right now and I want to take full advantage without thinking about other things that might affect my play." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it inconceivable that after two wins against such big names in the previous rounds, that the side might get a bit too arrogant and **** up in the semi? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope - the point Cesc is making is that having seen off the likes of Ajax, Real Madrid and Juventus, Villarreal should be a lot easier. He's confident of beating them, but is also aware that they're a good side.

Curtis Davies, isn't he the Carlton Palmer lookalike? He's supposed to be highly regarded, also having a good season for a team in a relegation fight, isn't bad thing.

We won't get a massive summer signing unless some quality leaves. We need a midfielder and I just know it'll be Ousmane Dabo.

If someone like Yaya comes in, it will mean the end of Bert either now or next summer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nickyh:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Vassiriki </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you mention it whats the correct moniker for

Diaby - Abou or Vassiriki

Fabregas - Cesc or... er Fabregas </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Diaby - Abou

Fabregas - God II icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Curtis Davies, isn't he the Carlton Palmer lookalike? He's supposed to be highly regarded, also having a good season for a team in a relegation fight, isn't bad thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

meant to be a bit like Rio Ferdinand. Not sure if thats good or bad.

On another note, i heard that Joaquin is available. Think we should get him?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Curtis Davies, isn't he the Carlton Palmer lookalike? He's supposed to be highly regarded, also having a good season for a team in a relegation fight, isn't bad thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On another note, i heard that Joaquin is available. Think we should get him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's Rio before his ego inflated, then yes.

Joaquin - no. We've got plenty of player capable of doing a job on the right - there's more pressing areas to spend cash on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

On another note, i heard that Joaquin is available. Think we should get him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats only because his good in posetion, he's been captain a couple of times for brom too, would mind seing him come.

Carl Parisio is a centre-back. Anyone seen much of him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we'v already got him, his only 17 or 16.

Carl Parisio is a centre-back. Anyone seen much of him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we'v already got him, his only 17 or 16. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know. Has anyone seen him in action?

All that really needs to be done in the summer is for a few minor signings to come in who are capable of filling in. We just need to bulk out the squad a bit, especially if Cole and Campbell go as then we'd have just Flamini and Clichy at left back and Senderos, Toure, Djourou and Cygan (I feel like I'm forgetting somebody?) at centre back which isn't really enough. We could also still do with another central midfielder or 2 if Pires goes. We don't need big names, just a couple of good players for a couple of million quid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

All that really needs to be done in the summer is for a few minor signings to come in who are capable of filling in. We just need to bulk out the squad a bit, especially if Cole and Campbell go as then we'd have just Flamini and Clichy at left back and Senderos, Toure, Djourou and Cygan (I feel like I'm forgetting somebody?) at centre back which isn't really enough. We could also still do with another central midfielder or 2 if Pires goes. We don't need big names, just a couple of good players for a couple of million quid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, presuming young ashly decides he want to stay, I think we'll need one CB like curtis davis and then one world classs player to boost confidence. Either a CM or a Striker. We may need a goalkeeper too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn Michaels:

Cygan is out of contract in the summer and I am sure he will be moving on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At last icon_biggrin.gif He was give a huge one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Italian national team coach Marcello Lippi has praised Arsenal's performances in the UEFA Champions League this season.

Arsene Wenger's men completed a 2-0 aggregate victory over Juventus in midweek and Lippi has been amazed by the English side's ability to overcome injuries to progress into the semi-finals.

Lippi is hopeful some of the Italian sides will take note of Arsenal's performances and begin to blood their own youth players in the future.

"The most beautiful thing in the Champions League this season has been Arsenal," said Lippi to Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Their growth has been incredible. They have done something which in Italy we could never allow ourselves to do.

"They have invested in youth and they are being rewarded.

"They started their season playing with Lauren, (Pascal) Cygan, (Sol) Campbell and (Ashley) Cole in defence but they eliminated Juve with (Emmanuel) Eboue, (Kolo) Toure, (Philippe) Senderos and (Mathieu) Flamini.

"In England, even Manchester United invests in youth and although they have paid the price in Europe, they find themselves now just seven points behind Chelsea."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rizzudo:

I still think we should be looking for a tall D LC, somewhat of a Kolo but with a sweet left foot who, in a crisis could slot easily in at left back. Like Cygan, but good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So youn want Chivu then? icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

unlucky lads, bouba has signed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Said it before, will say it again:

Diaby >>> Diop.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rizzudo:

I still think we should be looking for a tall D LC, somewhat of a Kolo but with a sweet left foot who, in a crisis could slot easily in at left back. Like Cygan, but good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So youn want Chivu then? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good shout. icon14.gif

Archived