[FM11] Ok, who forgot the map?

mackemforever

On Fm2010 I made an attempt to start a journeyman save but I did it so close to the release of FM2011 that I couldn't get into it properly, so now that FM2011 is here I am going to give it a go.

Initial Setup

Version - 11.1.1

Database Size - Large, with all players of national reputation from Europe & South America.

Leagues - All available leagues from Mexico, England, France, Italy, Holland, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Australia, Argentina, Brazil & Colombia.

Initial Profile

My First Offer

Club - The New Saints

League - Principality Welsh Premier

Transfer Budget - £34k

Wage Budget - £9.25k

Current Wage Bill - £8.4k

Media Prediction - 1st

Current Position - 5th

I will be accepting the offer as its currently approaching Christmas and this is the first offer I have received.

Thenewsaints.png

The Challenge

With 15 of 32 games played and the team sitting 10 points off the lead, the board still expect me to win the league this season.

Initial Assessment

Keepers

Pretty damn weak here, no real standout players and our only even vaguely good keeper is Simon Locke, on loan from Reading, who we have the option of signing for £9k if he performs well enough. Hopefully though we will be able to get a stronger keeper in January.

Key Player - Simon Locke

Full Backs

Not a great deal of choice, and no balanced players. The choice on both sides is between players who can tackle but can't attack at all, and quite solid attacking players who can't tackle to save their life. Our best full back though is probably Jeff Ho. He is a relatively good attacking full back but pretty useless defensively, however I'm hoping that his high work rate can make up for his lack of tackling ability. I would like to try and bring in a couple of more balanced players in the January transfer window.

Key Player - Jeff Ho

Central Defenders

Probably the strongest area of the team with several good players, no worries about this area of the team. Steve Evans is easily our best defender, although I would like to have a defender of his calibre but with slightly better physical attributes, but I think we will struggle to find anybody like that at this level.

Key Player - Steve Evans

Defensive Midfielders

The weakest area of the team by far and is one of the most important positions in my side, so I really need to find a good player in the next transfer window. For now our best DM is probably Phill Baker, simply because he is physically the best player in this position and the hardest worker.

Key Player - Phil Baker

Central Midfielders

Not the strongest area but it could be worse. The biggest problem is that we don't have many midfielders, not a lack of talent amongst the player we have at the moment. Best at the moment is probably Scott Ruscoe, purely because he has the best distribution of the current crop.

Key Player - Scott Ruscoe

Attacking Midfielders

Really need to make a new signing or two ASAP. Our best AMC is actually Ruscoe, but he is also our best central midfielder, so that left me with a dilemma. As a result we are left with Richie Partridge as our best AMC and, as you can see, he is pretty terrible.

Key Players - Richie Partridge

Strikers

Good enough for now, with a couple of decent supporting strikers and an OK poacher. The biggest problem is the lack of a good poacher. We have a very quick striker but he is a pretty awful finisher, so while he may create chances, I wouldn't put much money on him taking many of them. For now our best striker is Matty Williams, he will be used as a supporting striker and hopefully his good teamwork and mental attributes will allow him to do a good job.

Key Players - Matty Williams

December 2010

Competitions

League

Table

Fixtures (This months highlighted in blue)

Well the first match was a bit of a shock, Newtown were 10th at the time and we have a superior squad, but the morale of my players was so poor, as you'd expect with 2 points from their last 6 games, that Newtown walked all over us. It then became very clear to me that we needed to get a result or two any way we can, just to get the squads morale up a bit, and in our next match we played with 9 defensive players, just hoping to keep a clean sheet, and maybe grab a goal on the counter, which we did, twice. Our third match of the month was the first I have seen where I actually watched some good football, with us being unlucky not to win by a greater margin.

Overall, a good first month and hopefully as the team get more used to my tactics they can continue to improve.

Player of the Month

Alex Darlington - Young, inexperienced, and pretty damn terrible, but his sheer pace has been great so far, and despite his lack of finishing ability, he has still proved our only real threat infront of goal. Hopefully he can keep it up for the rest of the season.

January 2011

Competitions

League

Table

Results

Well this month didn't make much sense at all. In our match against Haverfordwest things were pretty even but we took our chances well, then in the very next match we absolutely dominated the game but Lee Trundle showed that he is way too good for the league by taking 3 chances from 3 to put the game beyond us. Its begining to look like the team are starting to blend and get used to the tactic though, so hopefully we can push for a top 3 spot from here.

Player of the Month

Richie Partridge - Looking purely at the numbers from this month Alex Darlington does look to have played better than Richie, but when you consider the fact that Richie is a natural winger and has never had to play as an AMC before, his performances have been pretty impressive, and hopefully if he can get a bit more used to the position then he can improve even more.

February 2011

Competitions

League

Table

Results

Well at least you can't accuse our home games of being dull. Away from home we are pretty much stuck on the back foot all the time and we count ourselves very lucky to get any points from these matches, but at home we are brilliant going forwards, but horrendously weak at the back. Against Port Talbot we only gave them 4 chances, but all of them were 1 on 1s presented to them due to silly mistakes by defenders. Hopefully next season (if I'm still here) then we can shore up our defence a bit and make things a bit easier for ourselves.

Player of the Month

Richie Partridge - He hasn't been the best player this month, but he has been the most consistant, putting in 3 decent performances & 1 great one. In every game he played a good number of dangerous balls through the defence for our 2 strikers, and looked dangers with the ball at his feet around the area.

What has stopped you from going further?

The match engine.

I can't play a game where my instructions are not even vaguely recreated by my players, it just annoys me so much that my defenders (not just in this game, at every level), just flat out refuse to follow instructions and seem to have no ability at all. When they have sorted out the defensive side of the match engine I will start again on FM2011, but not till then.

Archived