Should the Average Rating System be Scrapped?

nev147

importance is not to get too wrapped up in ratings - for example. I have just started second season with Arsenal - now I have selected Fabianski over Almunia for start of new season because despite almunia rating higher, conceding less per game, more clean sheets etc, I simply looked at fabianski and know he is a better shot stopper, and quicker sweeping off his line, and have based the decision on that alone - and am in general reaping rewards for it.

Remember that there isn't just the visible attributes side to a player. There are all kinds of hidden attributes that can have an effect on his performances and therefore average rating.

For instance, you can have an awesome looking midfielder and an average one. If the former has low consistency and can't handle pressure, while the average player is extremely consistent and doesn't react to pressure, you may well find that the average player performs better over the course of the season despite his attributes being lower. Just an example to show that it isn't as simple as you are making out. It also shows why we need the average ratings in the game in order to judge performances in the long-term.

You may say they watch the game for 90 minutes and thus we are unable to do the same as that would be silly. But during and after the game we have the players individual statistics, something that I myself pay more attention to than the players average rating in recent years and in particualr FM10.

Do you see every league match so that you can evaluate every player manually ? You do not need only infos about your own players.

I must admit thati play only FM09 but the stats department is absolut horrible. You get only few stats and they are shown is such a clumpy way that is real work to use them.

An average rating could be good indicator about the quality of your player and (this more important) about the opponent. I does not make much fun to click dozens of times through many screens to gain the information you need.

I think the average ratings need to be adjusted somewhat. As it is now, rating "6" is almost a bad performance, and you rarely ever see ratings between 1-4. Why is that? If I watch a real match, there is usually several players that has been really bad and would deserve a rating like that. I think "5" should be the new standard-rating and that the lowest rating 1-4 should be used much more frequently!

Removing the rating system would turn playing this game into a chore.

I totally agree :) .... if you don't like Average Ratings, and feel they take something away from the real life experience of the game, then don't use them.

I do agree with the fact that the way ratings are given needs to be tweaked.

Archived