A Journey Through Time

sherm

Hamish McGroarty had a playing career that was as undistinguished as it could have been. Seven years in the lower leagues, playing for Dalbeattie Star, the highlight of which was a record breaking 38 goal league campaign, before a move to Iceland saw him take up a player/coach role at Keflavik, where he focused more on the coaching side of things rather than playing. A late developer in the game, joining Dalbeattie aged 24, after their manager spotted him playing a game for a local club on a Sunday morning, it was obvious from the early stages that he had a knack for coaching. He would shout instructions to his team-mates, while making notes of ideas and formations that could be used by the team. It was this that allowed him to move to Iceland, and while there, he gained both his UEFA ‘A’ and ‘Pro’ coaching licenses. Aged 36, he returned home, taking the managers job at Dalbeattie Star, and after two pretty successful years, including a promotion and a cup final, he got his big break, as Non-League Dagenham and Redbridge came calling. It was an opportunity that couldn’t be missed, and on June 1st, 2003, Hamish McGroarty signed a contract to become manager of Dagenham and Redbridge

It wasn’t all plain sailing in Hamish’s life though, as his career often stopped from leading the perfect life he wanted. He met his first wife, Hayley, when he was just 21. He was working in his dad’s warehouse at the time, playing football on Sunday’s, but when he met her, he knew she was the one. Her flowing brown hair, blue eyes, figure to die for. They were together four years before he proposed, married a year later. However, it was Hamish’s desire to make something of his career that ended their relationship, as he moved to Iceland without her, and they divorced after ten years. In Iceland, he tried relationships, but he just couldn’t bring himself to have anything too serious, and after five years, he moved back home

Not only did he have the divorce and the pains of failed relationships to go through, but he also had the hardest 12 months of his life in 2000, when his mum, and then his younger brother Scott, both passed away. His mum had been there for him all his life, and though she had been ill for several years, she had always been a fighter. Her death was a shock, but after five months, it started to hit home. Then, his brother was involved in a car accident, one that killed him and his girlfriend, and he had the whole grief process again. It was hard, and the only thing that got him through it was work, and whisky. During that 12 month period, when he wasn’t in work, he was staring into the bottom of a whisky tumbler. It was then though, that he met Stacey, a barmaid at the local pub. They hit it off immediately, despite the age difference of nine years, and on the few dates they had, she made him see sense. They had been together for 10 months when he got the offer from Dagenham…that made it hard, but eventually, they agreed. He would go out there, get settled, then Stacey would join him once that was all done. It was an exciting time in his life, and one that he was looking forward to

---

Game played on CM03/04, a favourite version of mine. English Leagues loaded up to Conference level, with top divisions in Scotland, Spain and Italy loaded also

“Hamish, it’s good to see you at last”

Dave Andrews was a big man, and he embraced his new manager in a strong grip and a hug, not a way that Hamish was accustomed to

“Good to be here Dave. Shall we get down to it?”

“Certainly. I’ve got a 12 year old malt in my office, perfect for discussing finances”

The two men headed into the chairman’s office, and as Dave Andrews poured the drinks, Hamish made himself comfortable, looking at the pictures on the walls as he did so

“Now, as for finances Hamish, we do have limits. Being a small club, I can’t afford you riches”

“I understand that Dave, and to be honest, I think the money available will be better off going to wages rather than transfer fees”

“That’s up to you, but I can allow £150,000 for transfers, and a wage budget of £4,000. It’s currently at £1,700, so you have over £2,000 to play with”

“Dave, I can’t find anything wrong with that. It’s more than I was expecting to be honest with you, and with my mind firmly focused on free transfers and loans, I aim to keep the club firmly in the black”

“That’s all I ask for Hamish. I’m not going to expect a promotion straightaway, but I think with the right signings, we could have a play-off place”

After chatting with the chairman, Hamish then headed off to meet his backroom staff, and to discuss what the squad already looked like, aswell as any positions that needed strengthening

--

In between the sticks, it was a pretty simple decision, as player/coach Tony Roberts looked prime to take the number one jersey. His back-up was youngster James Pullen, but with the 21 year old only on loan from Ipswich until November, another ‘keeper was a priority

Defence was a little bit more complicated, with several options available, but some of them would not be a factor in the season. Tarkan Mustafa looked perfect for the right full back slot, but the former Rushden man would need cover, as there was really only him to play there. On the left, there was 36 year old Alan Kimble, a man with lots of Premier League experience, and 27 year old Jimmy Jackson, who, due to the fact he was younger and fitter than Kimble, would be first choice. In the centre, there was a lot of choice, but the starting pair picked themselves. Club Captain Lee Matthews would play on the right hand side of the pairing, while Ashley Vickers would take the spot on the left. Should either of these players fail to live up to the standard expected, then Tim Cole, a 26 year old pacey defender, or 24 year old Lee Goodwin were easily good enough to step into the breach. 21 year old Chris Piper would be used as a back-up, but his versatility would prove useful if needed

The right of midfield had two excellent choices, Irishman Tony Scully looking like first choice, but his deputy, Mark Janney, was more than a capable replacement should he be needed. It wasn’t the same on the left, as Paul Bruce was the only option. Though he was a good one, he still couldn’t be expected to play every game in the season, so a left midfielder was another priority on Hamish’s list. Danny Shipp would certainly take one of the central midfield slots. Second on the club’s all time appearance list, and just two away from the record goals tally, he was a super player who could easily play in Division Two. It was tough to decide who to partner him with though. Steve Vaughan would have been the choice, but he had a nine month recovery ahead of him after damaging his cruciate ligament at the end of the previous season. This left Danny Hill as the next viable option, but both Jamie Murat, a 20 year old talented young player, and 25 year old Lenny Piper could easily be a part of the team in the central midfield role.

The strikers were definitely a bit lightweight though, and options were needed to give the club a chance in the division. Mark Bentley was an excellent option, the 25 year old easily able to provide 20 goals a season, but he needed a strike partner who could provide for him. Leon Braithwaite was a good player, but at 30, he wouldn’t see that much action, however, he would be a useful player during the season. Alex Meechan wasn’t that great, his finishing and anticipation were poor, so it was likely he wouldn’t see too much action. That left 37 year old former Chelsea man Mark Stein. At that age, though he had experience, he had very little to offer the club, and Hamish felt it prudent to transfer list him immediately

It was obvious the squad needed reinforcements, and major changes were part of Hamish’s master plan. However, the free transfer and loan markets were the best options, so he immediately sent his scouts out to scour the market for suitable targets that were within their budget. He still had contacts in Iceland, and Scotland, and it was these targets that he decided to contact to find out if there were any players he could add to the squad.

“Stephen? Hamish here”

“…”

“I’m fine thankyou. I was just wondering if there were any youngsters I could loan from you, maybe a promising couple of lads who need first team action?”

“…”

“At 32 he’s a little bit old, I’m looking more on the younger side to be honest”

“…”

“Ok then mate, no problems. Cheers anyway”

That was generally how the conversations went over the next few days, rejection after rejection, and it looked bleak for Hamish, and it was looking increasingly unlikely he would be able to add to the squad. However, he found himself in luck soon after, as he secured two free transfers for the club. The first of these was defender Matt Carbon. The former Walsall man had plenty of league experience, over 250 games under his belt, and following his release at the end of the previous season, he was desperate to get back into action. His demands were reasonable, a £750 per week wage, and a signing on fee of 1,000, but it was a good price for a very capable defender. The second man to join was Scottish midfielder Ross O’Donoghue. Formerly of Aberdeen, he had fallen out of favour at the club, before seeing his contract out and moving on. He was a little more expensive in his wage demands, but still he was within budget and eager to join the club. He would be an excellent signing, and his passing ability, his creativity and knowledge of the game would be vital in the level of football he would be playing during the season.

--

Both Carbon and O’Donoghue had signed in time to be considered for the first pre-season game, one which would see Third Division Lincoln travel down to Dagenham. Both men started on the bench, but it was tough for Hamish to decide who to play. In the end, he went with Braithwaite and Bentley upfront, while Scully and Bruce took the flanks. Shipp and Murat were in central midfield, while the defence and goalkeeper picked themselves, Roberts in goal, Mustafa and Jackson as the full backs, while Vickers and Matthews were the central pairing.

The game got off to a fast paced start, and the Third Division side managed to show what was a worrying gulf in class, as they tested Tony Roberts four times in the opening quarter of an hour. The veteran stopper though kept his side in the game, and it was then that they started to get back into it. Paul Bruce hit a long range effort that was tipped over the bar, while Mark Bentley should have scored with a diving header, but somehow the striker contrived to put the ball over the bar. The game went like this for the first 45 minutes, chances created and denied, but it was substitutions that changed the game, as an incredible five goals were scored in the second half.

The first came less than five minutes into the half, a scramble in the box seeing the ball fall to Mark Stein, and the experienced campaigner slammed the ball home into the roof of the net. He scored again on 63 minutes, this time a through ball from O’Donoghue finding him, and the ex Chelsea man rounded the ‘keeper and slotted in nicely. However, there was then only what can be described as a crazy five minutes, in which the visitors scored three goals without reply. The first came from Simon Yeo, a header from a pinpoint cross on 72 minutes, and then the equalise came from youngster Joel Pearce, a 20 yard shot that deflected into the bottom left hand corner. From the kick-off, they were on the attack again, a mistake from Mark Janney allowing Yeo in, and the striker slammed home his second of the game past the helpless James Pullen. It had been an astonishing spell, but what Hamish was more concerned about was the slack and amateurish defending his side had given. That had to stop, and stop immediately

Dagenham 2-3 Lincoln

(Stein 50, 63 ; Yeo 72, 77 ; Pearce 76)

Hamish had been searching desperately for a goalkeeper, one that would be an able back-up to Tony Roberts, but as it was, he found himself with the opportunity to sign a man who would oust Roberts from the number one slot. Southend stopper Darryl Flahavan was another experienced campaigner, but his club had signed two new ‘keepers, leaving him in a fight for his place. His transfer request was accepted, and with an asking price of just £7,000, Hamish was quick to come in with an offer. At first, he seemed a little unsure as to whether or not to drop down a division, but with the wage offered and the guarantee of regular first team football, he was persuaded to make the move, and it was a signing that Hamish was delighted with. Flahavan would be going straight into the squad for the next pre-season game, and he would be joined by defender Sergei Baltacha. The former St. Mirren man had lost his contract at his former club, but with his ability to play at centre half or in the centre of midfield, he was snapped up by Hamish and given a three year deal. The squad was just about starting to look like it might have a chance of competing in the Conference, although the search for players never ended, they had to look throughout the season for additions to the squad.

“So when are you coming up?”

“…”

“I’m almost settled. And besides, I could do with a little help unpacking. I’m living out of the suitcase at the minute”

“…”

“You know you want to do it yourself, so don’t try that with me”

“…”

“Got a pre-season game on Thursday, but you could come up at weekend? Drive up Friday afternoon?”

“…”

“That sounds like a plan to me. I’ll see you on Friday”

The second of the pre-season games soon came around, and it was another home game, this time against Leyton Orient, another good test of Division Three opposition. Flahavan, Carbon and O’Donoghue all started for the first time, while Baltacha was on the bench. Leon Braithwaite started with Mark Bentley up front, while Mark Janney and Jimmy Jackson were the wingers. Unlike the previous game, it was a slow start from Hamish’s team, and they found themselves behind after just six minutes, Thorpe providing a lovely ball for Echanomi, who was fouled, before Matt Lockwood slammed home the free-kick. The visitors were one of the favourites for promotion in the season, and they showed why with some excellent football, and Darryl Flahavan was made to work hard on his first appearance for the club. However, just nine minutes before half time, Dagenham were back in it, a nice little midfield passing move allowing Braithwaite in, and the striker nipped in to dink the ball over the ‘keeper with a nice touch. Going in at half time level should have given the players confidence, but the visitors showed themselves to have that little extra class.

They didn’t find the goal to put them in front until the 70th minute though. But when it came it was worth the wait, Barnes and Holdsworth combining to set up Tony Thorpe, who fired home a terrific twenty yard effort past Flahavan. Three minutes later, the game was secure, as Thorpe turned provider for Efe Echanomi, who’s first effort was blocked, but when the rebound fell back to him he smashed it home. Even Mark Stein’s 82nd minute consolation couldn’t brighten the spirits of the side, and a second 3-2 defeat in succession was a bit of a worry for Hamish

Dagenham 2-3 Leyton Orient

(Lockwood 6 ; Braithwaite 36 ;Thorpe 70 ; Echanomi 73 ; Stein 82)

--

Following the defeat, Hamish added a new addition to his coaching staff, as Englishman Kevin Moore agreed to join the club as a coach. He would be a useful addition, and having worked at clubs like Chelsea and Fulham, he could provide a good insight into the workings of the footballers mind. Plus, he was an excellent fitness coach, and this was something that needed work sooner rather than later

“Hamish, have you got five minutes to go over a few things?”

Head scout Steve Harvey had popped his head round the door, waving a sheet of paper as he did so, and Hamish had looked up from his desk

“Sure Steve, come on in”

He sat opposite him, and as he did so he slid the paper across the desk

“Just thought you’d want to see this report I filed, and I’m pretty sure it’s a player you’d be interested in”

“Really? Who’s the lad?”

“Young Icelandic kid, plays for Prottur. Hjalmar Porarinsson, or however it’s pronounced. Big, powerful lad, quick too, and I think he could be a real star”

“Good enough to come straight into the side?”

“I wouldn’t play him every game, but certainly enough to play half, maybe three quarters. I’ve made a few enquiries and I reckon £50,000 might be enough to prise him away. He’s definitely worth a punt”

“Alright, well get into them and file the bid. Whether he’ll move or not is another issue but still give it a go”

Four hundred miles away, in Manchester, a woman was getting her young son ready to take him on a day trip, although where to, she hadn’t decided. The 11 year old was an inquisitive child, and she had always hated the fact that from the day he could talk, the question had been on his lips. Where’s my Dad?

The truth was, she wasn’t sure herself. Last she heard, he had been back in Scotland, and despite endless efforts to get back in touch with him, tell him he had a son, he hadn’t wanted to know. The little lad, Simon, was 11 now, the product of a two month affair with him. They had met in a nightclub, he was celebrating his hat-trick the game before, and immediately saw each other. He wasn’t handsome in a conventional way, but his rugged good looks, and his muscular physique was noticeable. He bought her a drink, they chatted, exchanged numbers, and started a two month affair. It was her that ended it, the guilt of cheating on her husband too much, but just three weeks later, she discovered she was pregnant

Eventually, having plucked up the courage to tell her husband, it backfired, and he left her. She tried to let the man know, it was only fair, but he didn’t want to know. Now, it was time to take drastic action. She would take the little lad to her mothers, leave him there for as long as necessary, before she went in search of him, to let him know he had a son and he had to live up to his responsibilities

Hamish did not travel with the squad for their third pre-season game, one that saw them face a poor standard of opposition in Sittingbourne. It was a game that should have comfortably been negotiated, but as it was, while Hamish was off meeting with youngster Porarinsson, his side were being embarrassed by the non-league opposition. This was mainly due to the Sittingbourne goalkeeper, Henry Farraday, who quite rightly earnt man of the match, after some stunning saves kept out the visitors. Two goals inside the final ten minutes were enough to win the game, both goals coming from Frank Ellis, the main goal threat for the home side, and though centre back Barnes was sent off in injury time, it couldn’t take the shine off a superb victory for the home team

Sittingbourne 2-0 Dagenham

(Ellis 83, 86 ; Barnes s/o 90)

Despite his side’s poor performance, Hamish did have some good news to celebrate, as he secured the £50,000 signing of 17 year old Hjalmar Porarinsson. It turned out that he had heard of Hamish, his reputation in Iceland being quite high, and was keen to join up with his side. The situation was explained, he would be a rotational player but would see action, however, maybe half the games in the season. He had a lot to learn, but at this level, he was without a doubt more than good enough to provide enough goals for the side to mount a decent enough promotion charge.

Porarinsson was the fifth new signing, and the sixth soon followed, although this one was definitely one for the future. Walsall’s young striker Nicholas Smith had fallen out of favour at the club, and having heard good things about the lad, Hamish was quick to snap him up for a £16,000 fee. He would see limited action, maybe in the cup games, but he looked a useful little player to have on the squad list for the season, however should he get a suitable loan bid for the lad, he could go and get some action for another side

Having lost three out of three pre-season games, Hamish was a little worried that his side were losing their confidence levels, and though they managed to stop the rot in their next game, a 0-0 draw with Brentford, they still needed to get some confidence for starting the season. It was a game that could have gone either way, both sides creating chances, and both goalkeepers being forced into making saves, and 0-0 was, in the end, a fair result for both sides

Dagenham 0-0 Brentford

--

Having done some research, Judy had discovered that he had just taken a job in Dagenham. Back to his roots, his football. The one thing he always loved was his football. In a way, she still loved him. Though they only spent two months together, it was something new, exciting and most of all, she saw him as a better man than her husband. It was guilt that had ended it, and now, with his eleven year old son not knowing his dad, she had even more guilt to bear. It was torture, so with that in mind, she phoned Virgin Trains and booked herself a ticket to Dagenham – although what he would have to say is a different kettle of fish

Cheers Marmoset :-)

The season was fast approaching, and with the fitness levels at an acceptable level, Hamish and his coaches were introducing their new techniques in the training sessions. Weight training to start, just a light session, before a skills exercise. Circuit training followed, then either set pieces or an 11-a-side game, depending on what he favoured. The players enjoyed it immensely, and with the new lads all fitting in pretty well, Hamish was looking forward to starting the campaign properly

Before that though, there was just one more pre-season game to negotiate, and that saw a trip to Kingstonian. The team was a mix of youth and first team players, and though the youth players were determined to give themselves a chance to prove they deserved a spot in the team, it was a difficult game for them, as the home side looked a lot better than their Ryman Premier League status suggested. Tony Roberts had to make four or five saves in the opening twenty minutes of the game, but on 27, his resistance was broken, as midfielder Liam Proctor slotted the ball through the gap for James Bracewell, and the forward deftly lobbed the ball over Roberts, a finish worthy of a higher standard. The second half wasn’t much better, although Hjalmar Porarinsson did at least provide a goal threat, but the game was ended on 76 minutes, Bracewell and Proctor combining again, this time in reverse, and Proctor thumped the ball home from 16 yards out to seal a very good 2-0 win, and end Dagenham’s pre-season without a win in their five games, something that, although he played it down, it was a slight worry to Hamish, who would see his team going into the opening league game without a win and short on confidence

Kingstonian 2-0 Dagenham

(Bracewell 27 ; Proctor 76)

--

“So how much would you need to be in complete control?”

“51%, but that won’t happen, Andrews won’t sell”

“OK. So what’s the alternative solution?”

Paul Fairclough looked up at the man stood over him, an intimidating figure at the best of times but now, he scared the living daylights out of him

“I could keep accumulating shares; get myself as high as possible. I can make a bid for the club when I have 33% but you already know I can’t afford that”

“Leave the funds to me”

“OK…Why are you so interested in this club anyway?”

The look was enough to stop him short, but the maniacal grin that came across the face of his peer was, in a word, frightening

“Let’s just say that the bastard ruined my life once, now it’s time for me to ruin his!”

With that, he turned on his heel, and walked out of the room, leaving Paul Fairclough shaking in fear

Finally the time was here, and the nerves were beginning to show on Hamish McGroarty’s face. Their poor pre-season form was something that had nagged him, and though he was confident his side would deliver, he still felt the visit of Woking would give him an idea as to whether they had the ability to win promotion.

He went with his strongest side, a choice that wasn’t difficult to make, but he needed them to start well. This was delivered with aplomb, and in the opening ten minutes, the Woking ‘keeper had made three good saves. He could do nothing however to stop the first goal, which came on 17 minutes. A nice move down the right involving Mustafa and Scully saw the Irishman cut inside and whip a cross in the box on his left foot, a cross which found Mark Bentley. The striker rose highest and powered home his header, leaving the ‘keeper with no chance. Bentley was looking good, and combining well with his new strike partner Porarinsson, but Tony Scully was the most impressive of the players. The Irish winger was involved in the second goal too, although having won the corner, he allowed Tarkan Mustafa to swing it in. It was a perfect cross, and one that landed at the feet of Lee Matthews, and the defender slammed home from four yards out, a goal that sent the home side into the break 2-0 ahead. Hamish wanted more of the same in the second half, more attacking and pressing, so he was furious to see the visitors pull a goal back within ten minutes, a missed interception allowing Paul Clark to curl past Darryl Flahavan.

Not much else happened through the second half, both sides defending well, but in the final ten minutes, Dagenham sealed the points. First, Matt Carbon headed home from a Scully corner, then in injury time, Ross O’Donoghue won a penalty which was converted by Danny Shipp, and it gave his side a lovely start to the season

--

Judy had been sat in the stands for the game, and she knew immediately when she saw him. He hadn’t changed a bit, he still had the rugged, handsome look and the muscular physique, but the age lines had started to show. Her heart immediately started to flutter, as it did all those years ago – he still had it.

She had not been interested in the game, just him. Having watched, she waited until the final whistle before sneaking in with the crowd. Security was lapse, and she managed to find a way into his office. She waited there, patiently, and the half drunk bottle of scotch told her he would be back

He did come back nearly half an hour later, and as he turned to flick the light switch on, he heard a voice from behind him

“Hello Hamish”

He swivelled round, and as soon as he saw her, his jaw hit the ground

“Judy? What the hell are you doing here?”

“I wasn’t sure what sort of reception I’d get…a little warmer would have been nice”

“It’s been twelve years Judy, what do you expect? Just walk in and begin how we used to be?”

“To be honest, I don’t know”

There was an awkward silence, before Hamish ended it

“So how have you been?”

“Well, there’s a lot to tell, 12 years worth actually”

“OK. Well can we go for dinner, talk about it somewhere else?”

And that was that. They arranged to meet the next day for lunch, and as they parted ways, Judy was unsure if she could bring herself to tell him. No, that was why she came up here, not to pull out at the last minute

Makonnen - I let myself in for that one didn't I? Still, as you said, somebody was bound to say it...

The dinner date had gone well, they had actually been civil with each other, got on perfectly fine, and then she dropped the bombshell on him. He was, understandably, in shock. Finding out you’re a father after 12 years, well that would be a shock to anybody. He dropped £40 pound on the table to pay, then stormed out, Judy shouting after him. As he left, and sped away in the car, she was reduced to tears…that was not how she imagined it going in her head

Hamish was still miles away by the time his side’s second game came around, another home game that saw Stevenage as the opponents. They had been made the bookies favourites to win the title, and the way they started showed why, as Darryl Flahavan denied Elding, before the striker then missed a glorious opportunity just after the half hour mark. This was the wake up call that the home side needed, and on 38 minutes, Paul Bruce spectacularly put his side in front, as a diagonal ball came to him and he hit a stunning left foot volley from the edge of the box into the top corner. Disheartened, Stevenage were poor in the second half, and a brace from Mark Bentley gave the side a 3-0 success, but Hamish had his mind firmly on other things, and as soon as the game finished, he didn’t stay to celebrate, just shot straight off in his car

--

“Look, Judy, I’m sorry. I should have been more supportive. I was just in shock, I hope you can understand that. Anyway, if you want me to be involved, I will, just ring me and we can arrange something…”

Having finally come to terms with the fact he had a son, Hamish had found it in himself to ring Judy and explain the situation. He also felt it would help him get back into the football, as against Stevenage he had been completely out of it. He headed to training in a much better mood, and after watching his players enjoy themselves for two hours (although he wasn’t sure if that was a good thing), he was pulled to one side by Kevin Moore

“Boss, got a minute?”

“Sure Kev, what’s up?”

His coach held out a piece of paper, and as Hamish read it a smile came across his face

“Excellent news. Have you spoken to them?”

“Aye. They’re willing to let us have him on loan for a season, so I’ve invited him down to watch our next game and he can agree a deal there”

“Kev, what would I do without you?”

The player in question was Arsenal’s young full back Olafur-Ingi Skulason. He had plenty of ability, and to take him on loan for a season would provide super cover for Mustafa. Kevin went to meet the youngster while Hamish travelled with the squad down to Scarborough, and after two wins in the opening two games, a third would have cemented their ambitions.

The game however, got off to a bad start for Hamish, as Chris Senior capitalised on some poor defending by Matthews to nip in, round Flahavan and put his side into the lead. It wasn’t too costly though, as it turned out, because a spell of three goals in three minutes saw the visitors go into the interval 3-1 ahead. Porarinsson thundered home the first from ten yards out, before he slipped Bentley in to fire home two minutes later. Then, from the kick off, O’Donoghue intercepted, slipped a beautiful ball into Porarinsson, and he lashed into the roof of the net. It was a goal that shocked the home side, and though, in the second half, they were better, and even reduced their arrears to one goal in the 73rd minute, Bentley’s second of the game sealed a 4-2 win and confirmed to Skulason that he should join the team

Cheers Satio, glad you're enjoying the story

Hamish got back that night and settled down in front of his laptop to check the latest news, when he suddenly heard a crashing from upstairs. He bolted up to see the commotion and saw Stacey packing her bags, clothes strewn across the room

“Stace? What on earth are you doing?”

She turned round, tears streaming down her face and mascara all over

“I’m going. You’ve had me here less than three weeks and you’ve been at it already”

“What? Been at it? What you talking about?”

“Who’s Judy?”

As soon as she said it, he chuckled to himself, an exasperated look on his face

“Oh, I’m glad you find it funny Hamish”

“You silly girl. Sit down and let me explain…”

Eventually, after an hour or so, Stacey had calmed down and realised how silly she had been to jump to conclusions. Hamish had explained to her the situation, and she had promised to support him…after all, he did seem excited about having a son

His mood finally improved, and his relationship with Stacey blossoming even more after their argument, Hamish headed down to the North West for his sides game against Accrington Stanley. Injuries had struck players down, with the likes of Bentley and Porarinsson unavailable, so that meant that Leon Braithwaite and Alex Meechan were the starting strikers. As it happened, a stunning performance from Tony Scully was the main talking point, the Irish winger running the full backs ragged and earning a deserved man of the match award. The opening goal was started by him, his ball to the overlapping Mustafa allowing the Cypriot to cross the ball in. A headed clearance fell to Meechan on the edge of the box, and he side-footed the ball cleverly into the corner. Despite having dominated the game, a second goal was not forthcoming, and having conceded a 38th minute penalty, a draw was looking likely, mainly because of an inspired performance from the home ‘keeper. However, in injury time, that all changed. A shocking bit of midfield play saw Danny Shipp win the ball, before splaying it wide to Scully. The winger jinked past 5 men, taking the ball to the touchline, before drilling the ball across the box. It looked too hard, almost as if it wouldn’t be the right ball, until Meechan slid in, got his toe on the ball and won the game for his side, a win they fully deserved.

He sat at his desk, tapping his pen, looking at his accounts. It was pleasant reading, but there was something missing. Just as he was about to buzz his secretary, his private line rang, and that could only mean one thing

“Hello”

“It’s done boss. Although I thought you might want to come down for the finale yourself?”

“Excellent news. Alright Vic, I’ll be there in twenty minutes”

He arrived to find his two enforcers standing over the man, and his sneering grin was just a part of the act. Really, he was there for business…

“Mr Sheerin. I’ll keep this short and sweet for you, if you’ll just sign here for me…”

“Hold on, I don’t want to give up my stake in the club”

“Really? You don’t want to let me hear you say that”

“Why? It’s my stake…”

Before he could say another word, a big fist shattered his jaw, sending him crashing through the table behind him

“That’s why. Sign the forms. NOW!”

--

While all this had been going on, Hamish had watched his side draw 0-0 at home to Forest Green, a game in which they missed a hatful of chances, but an unbeaten month and an unbeaten start to the season had seen them end August in 2nd place, although there was still plenty more to come from his side, particularly upfront. If the strikers hit top from, Hamish was sure he had the best strikeforce in the division

August 2003 Summary

(Conference unless stated otherwise)

Dagenham 4-1 Woking

(Bentley 17 ; Matthews 33 ; Clark 55 ; Carbon 80 ; Shipp (pen) 90+1)

Dagenham 3-0 Stevenage

(Bruce 38 ; Bentley 61, 80)

Scarborough 2-4 Dagenham

(Senior 12, 73 ; Porarinsson 26, 29 ; Bentley 28, 81)

Accrington 1-2 Dagenham

(Meechan 22, 90+1 ; Cook (pen) 38)

Dagenham 0-0 Forest Green

League Position ; 2nd (13 points)

Though they had started well, Hamish felt there was more to come, and to back up these claims, he still had his scouts on the lookout for players that could be added to the squad. There were several options, and the one that really stood out was Keflavik’s Icelandic striker Porarinn Brynjar Kristjansson. He had 3 caps and 3 goals for his country, and with his record, he would be perfect for the Conference. To add to that, his contract was expiring at the end of October, the 24th to be exact, and his refusal to sign a new one with his club meant he was available on a free. An offer was duly made to the player, and faxed off as quickly as he could say typewriter.

The first opposition of the month were mid-table Tamworth, and the away trip brought about a few shocks. 75 fans travelled to watch the game, but when Hamish looked up he met the eyes of one of them…one he was sure he had seen before. He shook his head and concentrated on the game. His side dominated the match, creating an amazing total of 21 opportunities on the home side’s goal. However, they were kept out by a combination of last ditch defending and superb goalkeeping, as Ray Thomas kept out the visitors with some incredible saves. That was at least until the 79th minute of the game, when a lovely midfield interchange between O’Donoghue and Porarinsson allowed the Scot to release Danny Shipp, and the marauding midfielder slotted calmly into the back of the net. It looked like it was going to be the winning goal, and all it needed was tight defending. Instead, a mistimed sliding tackle saw Carbon bring down McGregor in the area, and on 89 minutes, the same man picked himself up and smashed home the spot kick to rescue an undeserved point for his side

--

Hamish had been livid about conceding the late equaliser, and after letting his side know in no uncertain terms how he felt, he spent his night in the pub, watching the football league highlights. He was completely lost in his own thoughts that he almost didn’t notice the barmaid put down another pint of Thornbridge on the table

“…ones on me”

“What? Sorry Denise, I was in a world of my own”

She laughed, and the smile on her face lit up her features, made her look radiant

“I said, that ones on me. You’ve been a good customer so I thought I’d repay the service”

“Thanks Denise. Quiet tonight?”

“Aye. Never much room for trade anymore, except at weekends”

Three men sat at a desk, pages of figures spread out among them, and a calculator at the ready to work out what needed to be earnt. The man in the suit, the one who was clearly the brains of the group, had a pen in his hand, scribbling down notes as he spoke

“At the minute, I have 12 percent. That leaves 37 that I need to get before I can even think about the other half”

“You know Andrews won’t sell easily boss, it might take something special to get him to give it up?”

The trademark maniacal grin crossed his face again, his teeth bearing and his eyes working overtime

“Let me worry about that. Now, you two need to worry about closer problems. Pay a visit to a Mr. Singh and Mr. Foster, do your business, and that should be up to 20 percent then”

“Right boss. Phone you when it’s done”

Following the draw with Tamworth, a home game against Farnborough was next up, and for this game, Hamish had a special guest. For the first time, he had his son Simon with him. His mum had agreed to let him see his dad, although she wanted to break in the relationship between the two first, understandably of course. This was the first weekend together, and having asked his dad if he could go with him to watch the game, he sat in the chairman’s private box, bonding with his dad’s boss and Dave Andrew’s son, Michael

As it happened, the youngster proved to be a lucky charm for his dad, although whether the team knew they needed to put a performance in for him was another issue, but they did, and ran out with a comfortable 4-0 victory. Bentley and Shipp had the two best chances, before Baltacha headed against the bar, but on 19 minutes, the scoring was opened, Paul Bruce jinking in and out before laying the ball back to the edge of the box for Mark Bentley to smash in low and hard. The visitors did start to get themselves back into the game, and even had chances to level, but Flahavan showed why he was a key part of the side already. And on 39 minutes, the chances for Farnborough were drastically decreased, as a cynical tackle saw a second yellow card for Keith Skinner, and his side were down to ten men.

It took over a quarter of the second period for the crucial second goal though, but it was worth the wait, substitute Porarinsson picking the ball up from 35 yards and curling home a stunning effort into the top corner. That amazing goal was the catalyst for a dominant performance, and Bentley’s second of the game, on 66 minutes, and Ross O’Donoghue’s first goal for the club six minutes from time sealed the emphatic win and sent them, albeit temporarily, to the top of the table

Though he was enjoying being back in the thick of the action and back in the game, Hamish was not getting to spend much time with Stacey, as he was either too busy or too knackered, and this was causing more rows and more cracks in the relationship. He would go home of an evening, just wanting to relax, and put his feet up, before she would start to scream and shout, saying he had done something or nothing, and soon enough it would escalate into a full scale row

This was driving him away, and as he was beginning to spend more time in his local pub, the Forest Arms, he was beginning to get on much better with the barmaid from there, Denise. She was a little older than Stacey, around 32 or 33, and though her black hair came below her shoulders, her features stood out. Dashing blue eyes and a figure worthy of 23. It was in chatting to her that he managed to gather that she had been married before, her husband having left her, and her mother had only recently died. It seemed almost as if she was lonely, and had no company, and suddenly, Hamish found himself asking her out for a meal. He had known it was wrong, but there was something intriguing about her, and she readily agreed to the date

The Non-League Paper

Weekend Preview

A top of the table clash looms this weekend, as first place Telford welcome second place Dagenham to the Bucks Head Ground. Both sides are unbeaten, and both sides have conceded 5 goals, but Dagenham have to be the favourites due to their ability to find the net more often

Striker Mark Bentley has 7 goals in 7 league games, while Tony Scully and Danny Shipp both maraud forward from midfield, so the key to victory for the home side will be a solid back four and an anchor man who can cut out the attacks of the Dagenham midfield. If either side can win the game, and make it emphatic, then it could set the tone for the rest of the season

Meanwhile, down in Farnborough…

--

The trip to Telford was a crucial game, and Hamish had drilled into his side how important it was to start well. So he was delighted when the opening ten minutes saw Bentley and Meechan test the home ‘keeper, both men having efforts pushed over the bar. Aswell as that, a header from Carbon was tipped round the post and a thunderous free-kick from Ashley Vickers, from all of 30 yards out rattled the crossbar, but ironically, it was Telford who should have been in front, Tim Holmes rounding Flahavan right on half time, but somehow the striker contrived to miss when it was easier to score

The 0-0 score did not do justice to the passage of the game, and the second 5 was much the same, chance after chance falling to Hamish’s side, but he watched in dismay as they were thwarted time after time by the most heroic display of goalkeeping he had seen, at least half a dozen saves being made. However, on 84 minutes, it looked as though the deadlock was finally broken, Shipp slipping the ball through for Bentley, who’s shot was saved but fell straight to Braithwaite, and the striker wheeled away after tapping the ball home only to find the flag up for offside against Bentley. It was a controversial decision, and a really tight one, but in the end it was one that enabled the home side to grab a point and ‘keeper Rob Harper to earn a deserved man of the match reward after a string of fine saves had kept the visitors at bay

There was little time to relax as just 48 hours later, they played again, this time welcoming Chester to Dagenham. The North West side had been, well, inconsistent to say the least, with good wins followed up by draws or defeats, but with Hamish having seen his side drop six points from their last four games, they had to get back onto the winning trail. Porarinsson was back in the side, as was Mustafa, to give them more of an attacking option down the right hand side, but as it turned out, it was left winger Paul Bruce who managed to make the difference during the game, as he ran the poor full back ragged. Chester had two defensive midfielders from the start, making it difficult for the likes of Shipp and O’Donoghue to bomb forward as normal, but Mustafa was playing some superb balls, cutting out the midfield and finding the wingers instead

A stalemate was played for the opening 39 minutes, but eventually, six minutes from half time, the breakthrough came, a slick move involving Porarinsson, Shipp and Mustafa eventually allowing Bruce to slip the ball through to Bentley, who hit his shot hard and low, through the goalkeepers legs and into the bottom corner of the goal. It was a crucial goal, and gave his side the half time lead, but unfortunately they couldn’t push on and find the second, despite having several chances to do so. They paid for this ten minutes from time, when a defensive slip by Matthews allowed Daryl Clare in, and the front man deftly lifted the ball over Flahavan to equal the scores, and look like sending Dagenham to their fourth draw in five games. However, they had not counted on Tony Scully. The Irishman had wandered into box unnoticed as the corner was taken, and in the fourth minute of injury time, the ball landed right for him to lash home and secure all three points. Chester were furious, as three minutes extra were signalled and four were played, the winner being scored in the fourth, but the home side didn’t care, especially as they went top of the table following Telford’s loss

They sat watching him, as he left the pub to go to the bookies, then the bookies back to the pub. He had made four or five trips the same way, and though he may not have had a problem, it was clear it was something that could be used against him. The sat waiting intently, and just as they had expected, at 4.45, the phone rang

“Hello”

“…”

“He’s floating between the bookmakers and the pub. Easily accessible”

“…”

“Should we move in?”

“…”

“OK. I’ll keep a tail on him and send Victor to his house to wait for him there. I’ll let you know if anything changes”

---

September had ended with a dull 0-0 draw away at Margate, but as a reward for the unbeaten two months, and partly as a winding down manoeuvre, Hamish let his lads stay there for a couple of days just to relax and unwind. He had however, been worried by his chairman, or at least the lack of him. Dave Andrews usually never missed a game, and when he had tried to ring, he had been diverted to voicemail every time. He must be really ill, or something had come up, but in any event, Hamish made sure to check that he was fine once they were back in Dagenham

September 2003 Summary

(Conference unless stated otherwise)

Tamworth 1-1 Dagenham

(Shipp 79 ; McGregor (pen) 89)

Dagenham 4-0 Farnborough

(Bentley 19, 66 ; Porarinsson 62 ; O’Donoghue 84 ; Skinner s/o 39)

Telford 0-0 Dagenham

Dagenham 2-1 Chester

(Bentley 39 ; Clare 80 ; Scully 90+4)

Margate 0-0 Dagenham

League Position ; 2nd (22 points)

Thanks Spav, glad you're enjoying the story. I'm really into this one at the moment too :thup:

---

“Dave? It’s Hamish. I was just wondering how you were?”

“…”

“Well you weren’t at the Margate game and that’s not like you”

“…”

“Oh ok. Do you want me to pop into your office on Monday, see how you are?”

“…”

“Right. OK. I’ll see you then”

Dave Andrews put the phone down, and turned to face the man opposite him. The sneer on his face was one thing, but combining that with the pain he was in was another

“There, happy now?”

“Not exactly Mr Andrews. I just need you to sign over your club to me, and then my business is complete”

“I don’t understand why I should do that”

The smirk appeared once again, and it was that he was scared of more than anything else

“If you don’t, I’ll break your arms, and your legs. Simple as that!”

With that last comment, Dave Andrews signed the deal, and took the £100,000 in the briefcase. He would never be Dagenham chairman again…

Exeter were the first visitors of the month to the Glyn Hopkin Stadium, and included in Hamish’s squad was new loan signing Mark Debolla, taking his place on the bench. The visitors started brightly, testing Flahavan early on, but on 11 minutes, they were one ahead, a defensive mistake from O’Donoghue, giving the ball away in midfield, which allowed Cronin to slip the ball underneath Flahavan and send his side ahead. This only served as a wake up call to Hamish and his side, and just twelve minutes later, the on form Mark Bentley levelled things up, rising highest to meet Scully’s cross and powering his header home. This saw a stalemate for a while, but just before the break, Bentley scored again, getting onto the loose ball and deftly lobbing over the ‘keeper to send them in front at half time.

The second half was dull, the visitors trying to break through the string midfield of the Dagenham side, and just as it looked like they wouldn’t, with 11 minutes to go, Sean Devine used all his experience to play a lovely one two with his team-mate, and slam the ball home into the roof of the net. Going into injury time, another draw looked likely, but amazingly, they were rescued by an unlikely source. Danny Shipp’s cross was deflected back to the edge of the box, and Olafur-Ingi Skulason was there to fire a shot into the bottom corner, via a deflection, to win his side the game, and, thanks to Telford’s defeat, send them top of the table

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note to anybody following this one, its not dead. Ive been on a course with work and havent had the time to write. I'll be back up and running tomorrow. Cheers, sherm

Archived