Relegation Fighters - MLS Game Progress Thread. [*Established Clan*]

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

Decent Start for the Teal

SJ opened the season with a couple of big wins, a tie and were four games in before surrenduring a loss, to Dallas.

The strikers were on fire in the first few games notching 9 goals in two games, whilst the defence held a goose egg. Game 4 was different as Sj crashed 3-0 to a Dallas team that looked well organised and lethal up front.

So after wins against New England, LA, ties with KC and DC, was joined by two defeats against Chicago and Dallas, before a win against Colorado finished the session on a high note. SJ sat, somewhat surprisingly, atop of the West for the first extended period of time since the first season of Clark's tenure. The 3-2-2 record is good for 11pts and a healthy +8GD.

The early season form was probably disrupted by a series of minor injuries - and one major, Clint Dempsey going down for 3 months - as Clark has already played the majority of his squad in the first 7 games. Freddy Adu looks to finally be blossoming and will see more and more minutes as the season progresses. He already has three goals. EJ, revitalised after 2 years in the emotional wilderness, hit 4 in his first two games, surpassing his total for the previous 2 years combined. A small dry patch since then has tempered an electric start, but that could be partly due to injuries around him - in particular to the creative midfielders - that saw his opportunities drop whilst SJ went through a 4 game winless streak.

"Well, 7 games in and we're top. I'll take that. We're not exactly firing on all cylinders just yet, and it's fair to say our great start was a surprise to all, but we've been solid at the back and exciting going forward."

"I've been really pleased with the strikers - EJ, Todorov and Freddy have combined for 10 goals already. SGR has yet to find his stride but, as more of a bench player, his experience is a real boon. We've got two great keepers and the defence has been robust. The Dallas game aside, they on a 0.5 goals against per game average. Hutch looks like a decent pick up and Sankovich will get more time as the season progresses. The battle for the DL position between him and Vagenas should be entertaining. You can't beat a little competition for places."

So, all in all, things are on the up in SJ after a couple of barren years. It's early yet, but if Sj can maintain this momentum and perhaps add some secondary scoring from the midfield (Chris Klein has chipped in already) and perhaps even a couple from the big boys at the back on set peices and the Quakes would be a real force to be reconned with. "I still think this league is owned by DC. I was pleased to get a draw with them - at home - but even that wasn't deserved. Th eonly chance the rest of the league has is that their players continue to aspire to bigger things. They're at the pinnacle of what the CONCACAF region can offer, and maybe they'll end up in South America, or Europe - where their talents belong. Until then, the other 9 teams have our work cut out. Figueroa and Alva? They're simply awesome."

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

metros.gif

METROS PLAYING SOLID BALL EARLY ON

After the 2007 season official underway at LA, the Metros returned home to face NE. Coach Ventura was not on the sideline during the game. The Metros had most of the possession, rookie Mike Jackson headed in Metros first goal of the game from a long throw by Leitch mid-way through the first half. He then later score another one and make the score 2-0, which is the final score.

Being the last team of the league in almost all three years, there is no easy match in any day. Next, the Metros headed to Columbus to face the Crew. Both teams play fairly even, the Metros backline gets the job done, and Kevin Flores scored his first of his career, he received a pass from Becerra and fired from the top of the area.

1-0 is the final score.

The Metros then return home to face the runner up of last year's MLS Cup Kansas. The Metros seem to have a way to play against Kansas over the years, they came out on top again this time. Becerra scored a pair and led the team to a victory, 2-1 is the result.

Metros joined DC and SJ at that time as the top teams with 10 points. They then host the defending Champs DC. The Metros were looking good in the game with a few good chances to score, but DC was too much for them in that day, the scorers of DC are very lethal within shooting area, they don't need much chances, they scored 3 goals on 7 on target shots.

After DC, it didn't get any easier, they face another strong team CHI. Like the DC game, they had a few opportunities to score, but none of them went it. D.J. played so bad in that game, CHI came out on top like DC 3-0. D.J. only had a 5 after the game.

Last game of the session was against Dallas, this is the worst offensive displayso far this season, they only took 3 shots and none of them were within the goal, but D.J. and company kept the opponent from scoring and the match ended in a 0-0 draw.

fire.gif

Grom and the Big Red Button

Everyone knows where the Big Red Button is and what it does. For safety reasons in is encased in glass with a red break here dot. The trip to RFK in the second game of the season was a daunting task, and it quickly turned into a 6-0 debacle. Needless to say Coach Grom had seen enough and smashed his hand through the glass to press the dreaded red button. KAAAAAAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!! The foundations at RFK wobbled with great vigor, but fortunately the structure didn't collapse.

"God Damn it!....That was a pathetic display....Fecking Sunday League stuff....You guys don't deserve to put on the bloody shirt....Well anything, Does anyone what to step up and take responsiblity for this?....No, Well that's it....I've had enough of this ***** nobody is getting paid this week. Everyone is fined 1 weeks wages, since I believe you actually have to turn up and try to earn your pay check."

The board, unhappy with the embarrasing defeat and Grom's actions, have sent him packing back to Belgium so he can focus on his brewery and spending his illicitly gained fortune.

Grom was in disbelief as he realized that the self destruct button had been pushed causing a veritable mutiny of players and staff. "I guess this is it....oh well, so what is the proper action when nobody boths to turn up for the match? I guess fining the starting XI is out of question."

A Leading Board Member "That idiot needs to learn, that you can't treat players like that, the players after all are only human while Omer Pamukcu is a Super Human genious. I wonder if we could get him to leave DC United. Grom enjoy the beer, waffles and frites."

Meanwhile, strict disciplinarian Vinnie Jones has taken charge at Chicago. Jones will likely rely on thugery, a tough defense, and the long punt up the field. He will also encourage the squeezing and twisting up nuts and dangerous two-footed lunges. The former Wimbledon hardman and Welsh International had the following comments upon taking the post.

"Well, I've done the Hollywood thing and now I'm looking to get back into football. In truth I never really gave Q.P.R. my full attention as I was preparing for my acting career. There is new Crazyman in charge."

Media "Will you install the Crazy Gang spirit in the Windy City?"

"Well time will tell on that one but it couldn't hurt.....Aaaarrrgh."

Media "Oh my God he's just taken his head and smashed it through a wall. He's ok but there is still a maniacal glint in his eye and bits of plaster on his nose. In the Fire's next match against arch rival DC United, what does this indicate. There may be a message or two sent."

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

Clark Steps Down

Rumours circling MLS have just been confirmed in an MLS news conference.

"I'm stepping down as manager of the SJ Earthquakes, effevctive immediately."

With several large dark clouds circling overheard with regards to Clark's transfer dealings - and in particular the imminent signing of Italian starlet Alpe - Clark decided it was time to walk away from the game.

"I've been here three and half years. It's time for someone else to come in. Sure, we're having a decent run right now, but, the bottom line is I find myself just not caring. That's not good."

"I'll be back, I always am, but for now I'm going to take a break. I want to get back to a point whereby I'm enjoying the beautiful game again."

"I'm not denying anything...no more questions."

rapids.gif

Well after many attempts of trying to join and get through customs. The FBI has finally let me through, and glad to be a part of MLS. In 2 previous attempts to be the front man in NE, Kyle Lindsay is proud to take over the Colorado Rapids. Sunday's sim was the big test and it went through with flying colors and almost being in control of the Rapids for two sims, the chance at the Revs job was available but for some reason Kraft doesnt like to hire season ticket holders as head coachs???? So after that failure, Lindsay offically pledges his alledge to the Rapids. (at least in the game) We believe to have found the right formation in a 4-4-2, staying a little more central than the normal MLS style of out wide. But putting the players in the right location has been tough. Pezzarossi started at attacking center mid and was struggling, then moving to forward and gets a hat trick. Zizi Roberts has been injury prone so far this year, and a Red Card plague has attacked Colorado. Suspension just arent a good way to make a new coach like you. But we are currently in 2nd, 1 point out of first and I feel once the lineup is set, the Rapids could be in serious contention to win the West.icon_cool.gif

metros.gif

METROS CONTINUE THEIR DECENT FORM

After three seasons of struggle, seems like the Metros are starting to make some responses. They are still on the mission of getting into the playoff for the first time in four seasons. They are on pace of setting all the records under the lead of Lung.

Lung has been patient all the way, he is trying to get the things done in a proper way. "I am quite happy with my guys right now, we added a few pieces during the offseason, our young guys respond well from their training, and the changes in personel of the coaching staff help us too. They work hard during training, they compete during the matches. So far, we have only lost to DC and CHI, which are two very capable teams, I am not trying to say other teams are not capable, but those two are at the top of the pack, and we actually have a few chances in those games too, so I am happy with the direction the team is heading. I am happy that Elson can settle in here, I think Wilson's presence makes his life easier, since they are both from Colombia, they both are playing excellent ball for us, Elson is among the top in scoring, and Wilson is the leader of this team wearing the captain badge. Also, Flores start to show his talent in this first half of the season. Everyone from top to bottom is doing an excellent job, they buy into my new system."

The Metros picked up from where they left off last time. They went to NE to face the Revolution. They did not shoot a lot in the game, but they make the most of their chances, they scored all their goals during the first half, it was 4-0 already at the half. Becerra got the hat-trick and Tao scored a free kick from way outside. The Metros sat back during the second half to defend this comfortable lead. Becerra is a big addition for the Metros this season, they scored 4 goals all last season, which is unbelievable, they had 4 goals in this game alone.

The Metrostars then went home and take on the Crew. Both teams were fairly even, substitute Mike Jackson came through for the home team with the last kick of the game, he scored in front of the goal with a superb pass from Becerra. Metros win it 1-0.

They then went on a slump with all the good teams up. They had a 0-2-2 record the next four games. The lost to DC during injury time. They lost to CHI with D.J. played a miserable game. They were leading SJ when Tao scored early on, the home team then dominated the game, and the SGR show was on. He scored the equaliser, then he missed 2 penalties during the second half. In another game, the Metros were leading the Rapid 2-0 at the half, the visitor came back with two unanswered goals to tie the game at 2 apiece. The streak still holds, whenever the Metros score first, they will not lose. The last game of the session saw Metros played at home against the struggling NE, Lung was expecting 3 points from the game, but the players cannot find the target. They shot 14 shots with only 4 on target. The Metros dominated the game, the visitor did not even attempt a single shot.

metros.gif

THE SLUMP FINALLY ENDED

After a great start this season with a record of 5-2-2, the Metros went on a big time free fall. They did not win in 10 at one point, there were no signs that the old Metros have reappear, they still play and compete every game, but all the points lost were caused by some inconsistent play of the players.

The Metros open the session against the Crew, both team combine for two shots on target and both of them went in. The Crew open the score when Garcia scored a stunner, he shot from way out and the ball went in off the post, Metros answered with another beauty. Tao scored a curving shot from 30 yards out.

The team then went on a three-game skid, they lost to DC 1-0 again while they actually play tough with them, the stats were similar. White delivered for DC again. They then lost at home to SJ 1-0 when Countess playing real bad football, he allowed 1 goal on 1 shot on target again. This is the first time Metros lost to a team other than DC and CHI this season. Metros then lost to CHI 2-0, CHI scored 2 early goal, and 3 Metros players were sent to take an early bath during the second half.

All three of them, Becerra, Gonzalez, Vanden Borre were fined after the game. D.J. Countess were also criticized by coach Lung on his recent performance, he conceded 1 goal to Columbus and SJ on 1 shot on target, he then gave up another early goal to DC. In the CHI game, he scored an own goal just five minutes into the game. Other than Countess, Lung also criticized Becerra with his recent scoring slump. Both of them promised they will find their top form again.

Countess was benched after the second goal in the CHI game. Dusosky came in and did not allow a goal in 240 mins. The Metros got 4 points during the last two games of the session. They first went to Dallas. Dallas dominated the game with 23 shots, though only 3 of them were on target. Metros only had one shot the whole game, they were very lucky to come out with a point, but they will surely take that. They then face LA at home, both team had similar amount of shots, but Metros had more shot on target and more closer chances. Becerra finally scored again, he scored at the spot at the 88th minute mark. Though it is not very convincing, but they will take that when they did not win in their last ten before this one. Tao did not play for the team for the last 4 games due to international duty with China, this can explain some of the struggle up from because they do not have much player marker.

After 20 games, Metros sit at the number 3 spot in the East with 25 points. Lung is about to set all the records with the team, he is 3 points away from his highest point total of 28 set during the second season. If they continue to score some goals, they will also surpass the 22 goals, which are also set in season 2. They seem like will also conced on average less than one goal per game for the first time. They will probably have the highest number of win and the fewest number of losses this season. DC already qualified for the playoff due to the bad start that NE had. NE only has 9 points after 20 games, the Metros are 16 points ahead of them, which is more than 5 wins difference. Unless they went on a free fall like the one just ended, Lung will make his first playoff appearance, and they will likely face CHI in the first round. Despite the high chance, they still have to take care of business with 10 games to go.

fire.gif

45236.jpg

Cernat Arrives

It was an overcast humid summer day in Chicago. There was a mass of clammy huddled journalists eagerly waiting on the runway at O'Hare International. The next moment the heavens opened and rain began to fall and it gave the city a muggy tropical feel, reminding me of working on a film set in Hawaii. We're waiting for the arrival of the chairman's private Learjet with Florin Cernat. The media were a buzz since this aquisition would be huge for the league and American soccer. The kind of signing which makes people sit up and take notice, maybe more foriegn scouts will attend the games.

The plane burst through the cloud cover and screetched to a halt on the slick tarmac. Photographers and their cameras readied to capture this moment for posterity. As the pilot lowered the door bulbs flashed creating a blinding light. A figure appeared, using his hand as a visor to aid his vision, wearing a pinstriped Armani knockoff suit with dark glasses. He walked ginerly down the steps, with out the help of the team physician, to be greeted by the chairman. They walked arm in arm over to the podium, where I presented him with the club jersey #23. It wasn't clear if it was a ploy by the chairman or Florin's choice but the media got a right chuckle out of it. However, for an MLS club to capture a player in his prime that has played in the Champions League it is impressive since he could well become the MJ of the MLS.

Here are some of Florin's answers to the Media's questions, translated through the club's interpreter.

Why #23? I love Jordan. He's awesome

Why the MLS? I had little option, but since I left Dynamo the management at Chicago monitored my rehab process and encouraged me during the tough time. But I'm grateful to be in the land of the free and this is a great opportunity for me.

What happened in Kiev? Ah Kiev, my heart broke when I left Dynamo I love that club and city. They were wonderful for my career and I enjoyed my football very much there. It was hard to leave but when I damaged my spine the club doctors told me I have no future in professional football and that I must retire. I was very hurt, devestated and depressed with no idea what to do. But I was determined to work though the injury and comeback because I love the game.

Will Florin Cernat recapture the form that has seen him excel for club and country? Only time will tell but with him in the lineup Chicago have added one more piece to their title challenge this season. With the playoffs on the horizon will he be able to carry the Fire over the hump known as DC United? I don't know but the Fire have just gotten alot more dangerous with a worldclass player on their books.

Smith-Bryan III breaks his media silence.

After the Crew's first win in longer than coach can remember, he announced a shock post-match press conference to some startled sports journalists.

"I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to the fans over these past few months. The team has been struggling lately, and we've gone through some hard times. At the same time, I would like to tell them 'thanks for sticking with us'."

"I would also like to pass on to the press that Mr Hunt has sent me a memo informing me that he was extremely pleased following our 3-0 victory against MLS West leaders San Jose, and hoped there was more to come."

"I took the time to tell Mr Hunt, that there would be more to come, and whilst we've had a disappointing season, I feel our players will be far more experienced and come out of this struggle, better players and men."

"This is a message to the press: We've acquired DaMarcus Beasley. DaMarcus has quality all round and we feel that he's the type of player we want here at Columbus and our younger players can only learn from a player of his calibre. If everything goes to plan, I should also have another announcement regarding our playing staff in the near future..."

dc.gif

United Win Champions Cup

United lifted the CONCACAF Champions Cup for the second time in their history defeating six time winners Club de Futbol America over two legs. United virtually wrapped up the win in the away leg after winning 5-3. The man of the match Piero Alva opened the scoring in the 2nd minute and United led until the 23rd when a long shot by Chuy Mendoza caught Rimando napping to tie the match. United responded positively, taking charge of the game and going ahead once again with the usually quıet Ben Olsen to finish the half with a 2-1 lead. Mendoza struck again from long distance 10 minutes into the second half to catch Rimando badly positioned once again. With United continuing the dominate the play, Christian Zepeda rounded off a good move on the 83rd minute to give America the lead. With America trying to preserve the lead, teenage phenom Tom Keevan scored the most important goals of his short career in quck succession swinging the score in United's favour with strikes on the 84th and 86th minutes. Only two minutes later, hardworking midfielder Ben Olsen doubled his scoring total for the night to give United the 5-3 win at the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City.

The second match between the sides failed to live up to the expectations set from the first leg. United fell behind to a Duilio Davino goal from the penalty spot after Eric Anderson handballed in the box 11 minutes into the match. America were reduced to 10 men on the 16th minute with Ricardo Martinez receiving two yellows in quick succession. United took advantage of this with Piero Alva ash he levelled the score on a quick counter attack on the 33rd minute. The rest of the match was uneventful as United won the Champions Cup 6-4 on aggregate.

Following the match, United manager had the following comments.

"We have worked on putting together a strong team and a family atmosphere for the last three and a half seasons and we finally reap the benefits of this work."

"I would like to congratulate all the players and the coacing staff and thank our Chairman and his hard work in improving our training facilities."

"I believe I have achieved all I can at D.C. United. I am now looking forward to a new challenge. I will be monitoring the available jobs throughout the MLS. You can bet that I won't be managing DC United next season."

header_logo.gif

2007 Playoff Conference Semi-finals Announced

eastern.gif

dc.gif ..........Vs..........crew.gif

#1 DC United .................... #4 Columbus Crew

fire.gif ..........Vs..........metros.gif

#2 Chicago Fire ..................... #3 MetroStars

western.gif

rapids.gif ..........Vs..........fc%20dallas.gif

#1 Colorado Rapids ................. #4 FC Dallas

quakes.gif ..........Vs..........wizards.gif

#2 SJ Earthquakes ........ #3 Kansas City Wizards

metros.gif

LUNG IS IN THE PLAYOFF FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HIS MLS CAREER

The 2007 MLS regular season has just finished, the Metrostars is going to the playoff for the first time in four years, and it is Lung's first playoff appearance in his MLS career. The key to this year's success is no doubt, the acquisition of Elson Evelio Becerra. He made great impact on the front line, and set the tone for the team. He fully deserves the highest paid on the team.

The Metros will face the Chicago Fire in the first round of the playoff. The will host the fire for the first leg. The Metros won the fire at home 2-0 on the second last game of the season. This gives the team some confident going into the first round matchup. They now believe they can win the fire. Though the fire is the favourite in this round, if the Metros can come up on top after the first leg, it will be very interesting to see how the fire will handle the Metros at the second leg. Bottom line is the Metros need to get at least a draw to stay a chance of advancing to the conference final.

Hope the Metros can put up a good performance.

rapids.gif

Don, don, don, don-da-don, don-da-don, don, don, don, don-da-don, don-da-don!!!!!

The Rapids are ready continue their imperial ways of winning over hard fought rivalries in the western conference. After the Rapids had dropped to 3rd place coach Lindsay came out firing and pushed the Rapids back into first after defeated SJ with only 1 game left. And after tying the Metrostars, achieving the Western Conference League Title for the regular season. Now for the Lamar Hunt Trophy.

Coach Lindsay had this to say "It's a team effort. The biggest thing as to why we are successful is there are no egos, we work the ball well around the field and have Pezza and Zizi up top finishing. But you've got to give our defense credit. Defense wins ball games."

As the "Imperial March of the Rapids" is on for the Cup, the true question is can anyone figure out how to beat DC?

fire.gif

Fire beat Metro's in Playoff Semi Final

This is the upcomming headline to be featured in the sports section of the Chicago Tribune newspaper. The Fire are heavy favorites since in recent years the Metro's have struggled mightily against them scoring a total of 2 goals in the past 4 seasons. That last meeting was an aboration, a one off so to speak, every dog has their day at that was theirs. The playoffs will be a different story, the boys will prepared and ready to maim, injure, pillage and plunder. They will do whatever it takes by any means necessary to get the result and set up another conference final with arch rival DC United.

Tactically, I will change it up from the long punt down the field. I want to see how Mr. Lung III adapts to a team ramming a beautiful passing game down his throat. We aren't afraid of going their and enteraining the opposing fans, I mean someone has to after all the ***** they've endured.

metros.gif

PRE-GAME SPEECH

After four seasons of struggle, the Metrostars finally are in the playoff. For the upcoming series against one of the top teams in the league, the Metros surely will be tipped to lose.

"We are finally here, we are feeling great. About the first leg of the Chicago series, I do not have too much concern, not because we are going to win, but we are more than happy that we finally can participate in post-season matches. Chicago is the favourite in this series, they should be the one to win, our team does not have any pressure, we will just go out there tonight and play the style of soccer that we were playing during the regular season. As long as the players go out there and play hard and compete, I will be happy."

header_logo.gif

2007 Playoff Conference Finals Announced

eastern.gif

fire.gif ..........Vs..........crew.gif

#2 Chicago Fire ................. #4 Columbus Crew

western.gif

rapids.gif ..........Vs..........quakes.gif

#1 Colorado Rapids ..........#2 SJ Earthquakes

header_logo.gif

2003_us_opencup.jpg

dc.gif 2007 US OPEN CUP: DC United

United Capture the Missing Thropy in their Cabinet

United won the Open Cup after defeating the Colorado Rapids in the final by a score of 3-1 to pick up their second cup of the season after the CONCACAF Champions Cup.

The Open Cup had eluded United manager Omer Pamukcu in the past three past 2 seasons despite victories in the MLS Cup and two straight Eastern Conference titles.

header_logo.gif

mls-cup-1.gif

2007 MLS CUP: Columbus Crew (Lee Smith-Byan))

crew.gif

2007 Suprise Ending

The Crew put on a stellar show in the playoffs knocking out reigning champions DC United with two 1-0 defeats in the conference semi-finals and Chicago after penalty kicks to book a spot in the MLS Cup finals.

Facing Western Conference powerhouse Colorado playing in their second MLS cup final is three years, Columbus were the underdogs on paper. At the end of the day it was the underdogs that lifted the cup however, making good use of their pace up front to strike twice in extra time after the 90 minuted ended two apiece.

Congratulations Lee Smith-Bryan on a magnificent playoff run.

metros.gif

2007 SEASON IS OFFICIALLY OVER

After the Columbus Crew lifted up the MLS Cup, the 2007 MLS season is all over. The Crew knocked off the defending champs with two 1-0 performances, the surprising thing was that the Crew shut out the powerful front line of DC two games in a row. They made a magnificiant run in the playoff, it was not the Crew we saw during the regular season. As long as you get in the playoff, it is a new tournament, they proved that. Congratulations to coach Lee Smith-Bryan and his team.

The Metrostars knocked out by the Fire in the first round with 2 1-0 games. They can hardly find a scoring chances in those two matches, neither do the Fire, the Fire shot on target 3 times in two games, and they scored two goals. Metros goalie D.J. Countess did not play well at all in both legs. He ended with ratings of a 6 and a 5. His up and down performance is his weakness, if Metros want to go further in the playoff or get a higher seed in the East, they should consider replacing D.J..

Despite the first round exit, the Metros are at their best in the past four years. They have the highest points, wins, draws, goal scored, and the lowest losses, goal against, goal difference. They also set a few club records. The Metros had a crowd of more than 33 thousand in the first leg against Chicago, that was a club record in a single game. Becerra scored a club record 16 goals in a season, his 13 league goals is also a record. Chen Tao's lovely freekick against NE gets the Goal of the Year honour.

The offseason is underway after the playoff. Coach Lung sent his scouts to South America, Africa, and Asia to look for some young talent. Coach Lung has hinted that he will keep Becerra, Gonzalez, and with Lizarazo going to be a SI, Lung will let Peguero. The Metros will have a TI slot open and depends on the offseason trade talks, he is willing to let Vanden Borre go as well. This is mainly because the scouts has came back with some very impressive reports from those three regions. Coach Lung already has a few primary targets.

The Metros have signed Young US striker Turner to a three year-deal.

Coach Lung has put the following players on the block:

Davy Arnaud (FC)

Scott Crawford (SC)

Joshua Gros (AM L)

Anthony Vanden Borre (SW/D/DM RC)

Jean-Phillipe Peguero (F RC)

Carey Talley (D/DM RLC)

Logan Pause (D/DM LC)

Phil Salyer (D/DM RL)

Brian Carroll (D/DM LC)

Chris Leitch (D RC)

D.J. Countess (GK)

fire.gif

2007 Season has finished

Congratulations are in order today to Lee Smith-Bryan III for his side's magical playoff run to lift the MLS Cup. "That pennypinching jammy bugger is definately buying the next round down at the pub!!"

This was a season of change, the Fire begrudgingly axed monsieur Grommen and with that the team's style of play evolved. "Against the Metrostars they really didn't threaten much as we enjoyed the bulk of possestion carving out more chances. The Metros, need to work on their defending from set piece situations, you can't allow an uncontested header at the far post from a corner. They did do an exceptional job at styfling our 'beautiful ball' style, but I disagree with Lung's blame of DJ Countess. The keeper is the last line of defense and can't be expected to stop everything, especially when the defensive marking is poor and nonexistant. Things may have been different, if the Fire hadn't bludgeoned Tao in the penultimate game of the season " :wink:

The Fire will build upon the beautiful ball style because it did bring the fans out for the Conference Final against the Crew, 59,995. In the offseasons decisions will need to be made as we look to stregthen for the 2008 MLS Cup challenge. DC coach Pamukcu also needs to be congratulated for his sides performance throughout the entire season and for raising the standanding of the league with a credible performace in the World Club Championship.

fc%20dallas.gif

Dallas Manager Breaks Relative Silence

"Let's face it - this was a miserable season," said 'new' Dallas manager Nick Gutierrez III. "This team was far more capable than our #4 position in the West and first round ouster from the playoffs would imply. We are, however, in need of a quality player or two, and I've acquired the signature of Junior Khanye to hold down the left wing next season. He should provide a significant boost to our attack."

"All we really need right now is a top class striker, and maybe a solid influence in the midfield. Other than that, this is a championship calibre squad just waiting to happen."

This publication is more skeptical, but in this league, anything can happen.

dc.gif

Future Looks Uncertain in DC

With United manager having already hinted his departure to another MLS club, the next few days will be interesting in DC. If there is a change in manager, there is much speculation as to who will be selected as the next manager.

There is also speculation surrounding the destination of the United manager. Rumors indicate that he fancies a move to the West coast to take on the LA Galaxy who have been under a caretaker manager since the sacking of Tom Yaglowski. It is also rumored that if United manager does remain in DC, the fans should expect some wholesale changes to the squad that has won 7 trophies in the 4 years.

fire.gif

Day After

As the sunlight is pouring into my hotel room, being magnified by the pyramid of beer bottles on the window sil, my liver cells are regenerating. I roll over away from the light, like a vampire I'm deathly afriad of it, trying to get back to sleep. My head is pounding but I just want my eyes to close and remain shut so that it all goes away. As I struggle to get to back to sleep, pieces of the recent events play in my mind. Time looses relevance and I no longer know where I am or what day it is. Fragments of my memory come vividly back to me or they could be dreams, I dunno. However, I do see the glamorous side of football, beautiful women, flash motors and Salt & Vinigar crisps with Salsa.

At this moment, my nostrils pick up a sweet, delicate and aromatic scent, it is peach. My headache gets worse as the pounding is supplemented with alarm sirens screaming "You idiot...What the hell did you do?" but more importantly "Who?" I open my eyes to peer over the covers, where I discover an attractive women. It was the waitress from last night or a couple of nights ago, anyways she was starkers. I thought to myself "Is this the same lady that Coach Omer was stuffing singles into her thong?" Naw it couldn't be, she didn't have a tatoo around her navel. But that was a crazy night.

Picture Coach Omer completely belligerent and hitting on anything that moved. He was really splashing the cash with constant lap dances for Smith-Bryan III. Wildcat Willy was getting to know a young Crew fan with body shots on the bar. Yet, Omer continued to pour the drinks down his throat, and was just polishing off his second pitcher of Sangria. Even former Earthquakes boss, Al Clark, stopped by but he was constantly on the phone speaking to agents. Maybe he was lining up his new gig or he could've been trying to wheel and deal. But the phone was glued to his ear, and I don't think he even had a pint. I just wonder what he has up his sleeve. He left in a hurry, in what looked to be a flash sportscar but actually turned out to be a Hyundai. As I finally began to drift off, a few more sordid details came back.

Old Wildcat Willy definately had a few too many. One minute, he's lying on the bar doing the tequilla body shots, the next he's wearing a bra and panties swinging from the ceiling like a wild man. After swinging about he let out a huge scream, hoped down stripped off the young ladies garments and left streaking into the night. I don't recall seeing him after that but I hope he found someplace warm to sleep it off. In the meantime, Omer was working on this one Turkish waitress. They were up on the table belly dancing or at least trying to. She was hot and Omer looked like he was having fun as he took another puff from his Cuban cigar. Lee was slumped over in his chair face down in a young woman's chest. At first, I though they both had passed out like that, his eyes were closed but he was grinning from ear to ear. Nope, I guess I was wrong as she giggled when Lee snapped her bra strap. I was kicking back and letting the drinks flow, but I guess I blacked out soon after.

I'm still confused as I look around the hotel room. My head is still throbing and my mind frazzled, I just have part of the picture. Just then there's a knock at the door, so I decided to get up and answer it. It's Nick and he says "Hey Vin, so what have I missed? I'm ready to celebrate with you guys!" My eyes rolled back into my head then I replied "First let's get something to eat." Nick then asked "So where's Tom at?" I replied with "Oh he's still driving down, I hope he gets 'ere soon my liver can't take much more." Nick then asked "So what happened last night?" I closed the door, as we left to go find some food I said "I wish I knew mate, I wish I knew."

wizards.gif

After a disappoint season the FC. K.C. has appointed Ethan Allen Aka E.T. Willy’s assistant manager as the manager. This were the results from a online interview he did for ESPN soccernet.com

Question 1

How did you feel about your performance in the playoffs?

A; Well to be honest we sucked we should have won we couldn’t finish then we came out the second game and were flat. I was extremely disappointed and after watching this team for 3 years now I think its time for some of the members to move on. I expect Jimmy Conrad, Jose Buracara jr, Nate Dunn, Kerry Zavangan, Francscio Gomez, Brian Mullan and Brian Ching to step it up but they didn’t. These players are on the transfer list. I want the new blood to step in.

Question 2

Leider Calimenio Perciado said he would like to leave Kansas City what are your thoughts about that.

A: first of all Leider is under contract, but I understand his ambitions he is 30 and he wants to play top flight ball and to be honest MLS is mid flight. With that said though I am not going give him to another MLS team. I do how ever want to give Leider the opportunity to succeeded he has had a great form in the International side and I would love to see him get a few years in Europe.

Question 3

The Draft is coming up shortly, what do you think you will do you will be either the 5th or 6th pick.

A: I don’t know I might have to address my cousin Vinny for that one. But it’s really tough to say realistically I am usually at the point where we have to look at the best player available. I would like to get a defender but if nothing is available there it might be wise to pick up a striker.

Question 4

How do you feel about Columbus winning the title?

A: It could not have happened to a better guy really. He has deserved it though out his struggles he hung in there and what a great Cinderella story it was. I am really happy for Lee and hope he can continue success.

metros.gif

METROSTARS OFF-SEASON UPDATE

The 2008 MLS season is getting closer and closer, every team is trying their best to stay competitive, but actually it is quite a difficult task given the TI and SI constraint that the MLS has.

The Metros have made some changes this off-season, they have signed Malaysian young starlet striker Ryan Ng to a four-year deal, he is highly rated by the team's scouts, and the coaching staff after he has arrived, coach Lung III has very high expectation on him playing alongside with Becerra.

After that, the superdraft was up. Going into the draft, the Metros have the fourth overall pick, and the first pick of the second round. They picked Ryan Meyer, an attacking midfielder, he is an all around player, he has already possess great teamwork and great individual skills at the age of 17. They only concern the team has is that he needs to build up his strength and stamina. For their second pick, they selected Nick Cummins, another very young player, a defensive midfielder, he should be a solid one for the team in the future. Their third round pick elected to go to Long Island after called off the contract talk with the Metros. All 3 rookies request a high salary. Lung did not want to give them such a high wages to start off their career. Reyer and Cummins both accepted a lower starting wages.

The 26-man roster was up shortly after the draft. The Metros cut last year fan favourite Peguero, and last year draft pick, Scott Crawford. Lung definitely wants to keep Peguero on his team, but unfortunately team captain Lizarazo has become a SI, Lung has to cut Peguero to make room for him.

The Metros completed two more deals a few days ago. First Lung traded Brian Carroll to NE for Arturo Alvarez, Lung had expressed interest on him last off-season, but no trade was made. Lung also traded young Belgium star Van den Borre to Kansas for next year first round pick. Again, Lung has no problem keeping Van den Borre on his team, he is very happy with his performance. But he is more interested in bring young Columbian goalie Libis Andres Arenas, who is highly rated by his scouts. Lung would not sign him if he is under a contract, since he is worth 1.7M GBP, the team will need all their available transfer fund to bring him up North. Since Arenas's contract was expiring, and he elected to leave the club a month after his contract was over, Lung jumped in and offers him a contract, and Arenas is coming to MLS. Arenas had a spectacular year in Columbia, he has close to 20 caps at the age of 20, he will nail down the number one jersey on the national team for a long time. He will be the number one keeper of the Metros; the team has Phillips and Dusosky behind him, they also have a lot of potential, they will be ready in case Arenas minimum fee release clause activiates. Lung will cut D.J. Countess at the 24-man roster date. He will also cut Logan Pause at that time.

The 2008 Metrostars Roster:

Goalkeeper

Libis Andres Arenas, Matt Phillips, Chris Dusosky

Defender

Mike Jackson, Leonardo Gonzalez, Wilson Lizarazo, Nick Garcia, Joey Franchino, Jason Phillips, Chris Leitch, Phil Salyer

Midfielder

Joshua Gros, Craig Capano, Carey Talley, Ryan Meyer, Arturo Alvarez, Nick Cummins

Forward

Chen Tao, Elson Evelio Becerra, Davy Arnaud, Kevin Flores, Patrick Turner, Brian Adams, Ryan Ng

fc%20dallas.gif

Dallas goes defensive in draft

FC Dallas went into the MLS Superdraft looking to bolster their defense. With their first round pick, the third overall, they did just that, picking 20 year old defender Chris Medina. The youngster is already a sensational talent, a tall player with great marking skills. He'll get a shot to win the spot in the middle of the defense alongside Eddie Robinson, and if he doesn't win that he has a pretty clear chance at left back. The club is already grooming him as their future captain.

In the second round, the club picked right back Todd Brown. The 22 year old has the makings of a good all-around fullback, possessing both offensive and defensive skills, and has the pace to get down the field quickly. Some work needs to be done with his stamina, but he has the time and ability to grow into a very good player.

It's looking like Dallas will go with a 4-5-1 variant in the coming season, anchored by a solidified back line and plenty of talent in the attacking midfield. What this does mean, however, is that they had an overabundance of strikers, and they took care of this problem to some degree by sending veteran Josh Wolff to Kansas City in exchange for versatile 31 year old defender Jimmy Conrad.

Dallas has also managed to trim its bottom line with the releases of several high-paid veterans as well as agreeing to incentive-laden new deals with many of its other players. The club does, however, have two SI slots still available, and the manager has made no secret of the fact that he wants a big striker in the near future, and in fact has scouts in Eastern Europe and Africa looking for that type of player. That bottom line could rapidly approach the salary cap at any moment.

revs.gif

Lost Season

The New England Revolution just finished a nightmare season that they never would have envisioned. They began the season going winless until about the 15th game or so scoring only about 3 times in that time frame. They were coachless for at least 15 games as Jimmy Ventura had family matters that he had to attend to and was on leave. Overall, there wasn't much of anything to cheer for.

This season the expectations are much higher. They brought in several high profile players dating back to last season. Argentinian midfielder Daniel Montenegro, American keeper David Garlick and Italian midfielder Roberto Alpe all showed great flashes last season, Garlick even coming in 3rd in goalkeeper of the year. Combine them with the offseason acquisition of the year, the signing of the man everyone knows as Pezza from the Colorado Rapids and this has the makings of an exciting team. The Revs are also looking to bring in an international left back to bolster the back line and replace the departed Chris Gbandi and have been scouring several regions for him.

The signing of Pezza should also allow Ventura to tinker with a more defensive lineup in order to aid the backline and try to concede less goals. They hope with Pezza's goal scoring ability that they can play a little more defensive and still manage to score a few goals. Even after going more defensively last season and playing alot better, goal scoring was non-existent and Dwayne DeRosario payed for his futility by being cut to make room for Pezza.

Ventura is hoping this season to take a page out of Lee's Columbus team by not exactly having the best team on paper but with a combination of coaching and teamwork make a run deep into the playoffs. One thing is for sure with all teams in the MLS. Hope springs eternal in the offseason.

dc.gif

United Boss Resigns

United boss resigned from his post after 4 seasons in charge of the club. He cited needing a new challenge for his decision and wished the best for his old players and their new manager Tom Yaglowski.

sack27.jpg

sack28.jpg

galaxy.gif

The Galaxy Announce New Manager

sack29.jpg

Despite the reports linking former DC United manager to the post the move never materialized and LA announced Brazilian Douglas de Paula as their new manager. The new Brazilian manager looks suprisingly like the former DC manager which brings up the question as to whether the LA board are appointing managers based on looks and not merit.

Being appointed just before the superdraft, de Paula immediately sent scouts out to assess the combine failing to get much information on the players thanks to the less than capable scouts at his disposal. With the manager change, it is expected that the entire staff will also be re-vamped as de Paula attempts to bring LA back to its glory days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bell:

You will be happy to know that i have awarded FMO Established Clan status icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers bell. This is very good to hear.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy H:

I am liking the graphics in this game lads, KUTGW. Good luck as well. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Andy. If you have any suggestions for other skins we can use please send me an e-mail. The all star game will come soon and it'll be time to use a new skin icon_smile.gif

Lp.jpg

After the disappointing season that was the 2008 campaign Kansas City has started to clear house first was some introduction of some newer blood as young defender Peter Sullivan was brought into the camp.

Then we reached the MLS Super draft

Our first draft pick was Jason Dominguez,

Jason is the kind of player that will fit any where he has very few weaknesses even at this early stage. I was supremely thrilled to have this player fall into the 5th spot. He will instantly command a spot on first team we do not know where yet we are thinking a central midfielder role might fit him.

Pick #2 was defender Andrew Payne,

He is a solid defensive prospect I want to see him become a member on the first team but he has to earn it.

Jeff Morris, Chris Phillips, Paul Kelly and Mike Scott were also brought into the team.

Then we started to get into trades first we traded Pablo Mastroeni to Chicago for Sharlie Joseph and a 6 pack of Heineken.

The next trade involved getting rid of a on and off player and brining back a old face. It was Jimmy Conrad for Josh Wolf from FC Dallas. In the supplemental draft we picked up Alecko Eskadarian. We are also in negotiations for Anthony Van Den Borre with the Metrostars. I can not release any further details though. Also released were Kerry [/img]Zavagnin, Peter Bachelu and Greg Walker.

“The reason for these changes is the fact that we were getting up there in age and with the current team the window was closing. In the MLS you do what you can to win now and I don’t think having a bunch of 30 year olds is good for the team. This is also why we released Brian Ching and Manual Sol. I will say that we will miss Sol even at his advanced age he had loads of talent and is probably good enough to play on most MLS sides.â€

I would also like to take this time to congratulate Oswaldo Chaurant for winning the MLS MVP. Hopefully the changes we have made will people to surround him that we will win the MLS next year.

rapids.gif

Rapids Ready for Another Season

The Rapids just couldnt pull the trigger at the end of the season losing to DC in the Open Cup and to Columbus in the MLS Cup. Its been a very long offseason Coach Lindsay had this to say...

"We worked so hard last year but we couldn't come away with the championship trophy. We will just have to work harder this offseason and prove to ourselves that we can do better."

Key Additions:

DM M.Sol

AMC M.Fernandez

Big Loses:

SC Pezzarossi (NE)

With the addition of Chilian Matias Fernandez,, Dayro Moreno "he said Daaaaayroooooo, Dayro scores, and he wants to score more" (whatever that banana man song is) Moreno will be pushed forward to striker with Zizi Roberts. Let heads up MLS, cause this a wicked awesome trio triangle! And they WILL do some damage.

Continuing in the midfield will be Beckerman and Romero on the outside with Sol in the defensive role. Last years 1st Rd pick Brown and Corrales will be backups.

The backline will stay the same with Lewis and Kotaschau on the outside and Winstanley and Borches in the center.

Holding the Fort will be international star Silva. Hes young and was the western conference all-star keepe last year.

Injuries could be a problem for the Rapids this year as depth isnt high. Trembley and de la Torre in the back, Brown and Corrales for midfield and rookies Foster and Lagos will support the strikers. It could be interesting if injuries r a problem in the thin air of the Rocky Mountains.

Game I

InvestCo Field....

During the preseason Winstanley was basically on his way to the bay area of California in San Jose. But at the last minutes the deal was cancelled. So now he's ready for redemption vs SJ in the first game of the season. Well the best way to do that is score a goal, and with him being a defender could be tough. Well in the 3rd minute...... bam GOAL!!!!! Neil Winstanley scores. Oh the irony. Daaaaayroooo then scores 2 goals and Fernandez adds 1. At the end of 90 minutes with the debut of SJ new head coach, the final score is "Evil Empire" 4, San Jose 0.

Hopefully the Rapids can continue their ways with a stong powerful attack and a solid brick wall defense, and the western conference title will stay in its current home, as serious as its going to be, we want to have fun out there.

metros.gif

READY FOR A NEW SEASON

After all the off-season changes, coach Lung and his Metros are ready for a brand new MLS season. He brought in Columbia young sensation golie Arenas, and Malyasian young starlet Ryan Ng. Lung drafted Ryan Meyer and Nick Cummins in the superdraft. The rest is pretty much the same as last year. Lung had a huge lost when he released Van den Borre on free transfer to make room for Arenas, he was suppose to ship him to Kansas for a future first round pick, but the deal failed because Kansas had signed another TI.

All the teams had already played their opener except the Metros, and Dallas, Metros' second game, which suppose to be on the 2nd, has pushed back a week due to international call ups.

Despite all the delays, the Metros are ready for the brand new season. All the players had responded well in the camp, they are looking forward to improve their result from last year, and try to go deeper into the playoff.

galaxy.gif

Galaxy Roster Announced for the 2008 Season

Goalkeepers

Mike Roberts - 17 year old is the best keeper in the squad on paper.

Oskar Barrios - 21 year old Mexican has potential but will likely spend time on the bench behind Roberts.

Brian Brown - 21 year old was an ex-DC superdraft pick.

Defenders

Danny Califf - Experienced defender keeps his spot in the first team after the change in management.

Mike Jackson - Young defender never really got many chances at DC but now he looks to become a cornerstone of the LA defense.

Mike Lowery - Picked in this year's draft, Lowery will be a key contributor for LA.

Mike Payne - 20 year old was picked up in this year's draft, looks like he will be a solid defender in a year or two.

Mike Taylor - Young defender will add depth to the defensive line.

Tyrone Marshall - Experienced defender has been a cornerstone of the defense in recent years, he may be allowed to leave to make room for the youngsters.

John Medina - Another young defender who will add depth.

Chris Aloisi - Defender who has underperformed in recent years, he will have to prove his worth to remain on the team.

Midfielders

Chris Albright - Experienced versatile side midfielder will be a squad player.

Valentin Negru - Romanian SI was brought in to become the anchorman on the team.

Sasha Victorine - Experienced and versatile midfielder will mainly be used in a defensive midfield position.

Memo Gonzalez - Flashy midfielder is a fixture in the starting 11 despite his relatively young age of 22.

Emil Martinez - Honduran midfielder brings flair to the LA midfield while occupying an SI slot.

Kevin Warren - Superdraft pick 22 year old attacking midfielder is likely to win a starting position in the squad.

Dan Richards - Flashy midfielder could suprise a few and become an important player on the team.

Alejandro Moreno - Comfortable as a midfielder and a striker, the 28 year old will will in where necessary this season.

Forwards

Oktay Derelioglu - Experienced Turkish SI will be a fixture on the squad.

Greg Campell - Young striker is likely receive a first team spot.

Peter Jones - Young striker may prove to be useful as the season progresses.

Chris Gomez - Likely starter with Oktay in attack.

Brian Gomez - Young goal poacher was picked up in this year's superdraft.

metros.gif

ANOTHER SOLID START FOR THE METROS

Last season, the Metros started the season 5-2-2; this season, after 6 games in, they are 2-3-1. They could easily went 4-1-1 if they didn't give up 2 late goals in 2 occasions, or they didn't experience the technical difficulties. Anyways, they have to deal with it, they have no control over it.

Injuries seem to be friends of the Metros. After Flores set out 8 months mid-way through last season with a damaged spine, this season, its Chen Tao's turn, he was injured just 2 games into the saeson. He is going to miss the rest of the season. He is one of the key component in Metros offense, we will have to see how things change with him being sidelined.

The only lost so far this season came at Columbus, when the Metros failed to convert a goal.

Archived