Relegation Fighters - MLS Game Progress Thread. [*Established Clan*]

• SI Staff

fire.gif

Playoffs

Chicago 1-0 Columbus. The Crew were very tough, their manager always has a sound defensive gameplan in store for us. In the opening leg we got an early break and Damani took it. From then on out, it was a defensive contest with goalscoring opportunities few and far between, this included the second leg. So, Ralph's strike was the difference and we get through the bruising tie. Our reward is DC :p

We were very confident going into the match, even with the injuries to key defnders Perez and Gray. These injuries did force a change in formation, so we went to three at the back. In the opening 15 minutes, former DC winger the much maligned Georgi Gakhokidze was causing trouble down the left and we looked to be carving out the better chances. His injury, forced my hand and I brought on Ralph to replace him. In retrospect, I should've moved Mapp to left wing and brought on Guevara. This change led to an onslaught and we were lucky to be only 2-0 down at Ht. There was a controversial incident just before Ht, we had a legitimate goal ruled out for offside. Razov took a freekick and the ball came back out into the path of Davy Arnaud and he was level. icon_frown.gif . Even a halftime tirade from Grommen didn't do much to lift their spirits, they weren't upto it today. It was obvious that It wasn't going to be our day when I defensive mix up with Brede and DJ in the box led to the third goal.

It finished DC 4-2 Fire, the score line is misleading because they were far superior on the day. Congrats Omer, we will get you next time.

" I didn't see it happen but how does a guy break 3 ribs on accident"

"Listen that call changed the complextion of the match, it would've given us a boost going into the lockeroom. That assistant needs to review the rule change because when a player is level he is considered onside and if there is any doubt the attacking player is supposed to gain the advantage.

Offseason Moves

Alexandre Boucicaut traded to Colorado for their 3rd round pick

Ante Razov traded to LA for promising player Justin Moose

Hashim Suarez was released since he was our 4rth Si

Boban Grncarov in for 400k from Metalurg Donetsk

We are also narrowly missed out on Yankov, as he choose Juventus over us. icon_frown.gif

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

dc.gif

Season comes to a close and United look to prepare for the next one

After the conference semi final exit at the hands of Chicago last season, United started the season strongly and followed through to clich the Eastern conference spot in the MLS Cup. United had a promising start to the playoffs with a 4-3 win over New England in Foxboro and a 2-0 win at home. But stiff compeitition awaited them in the form of Chicago Fire in the Eastern Conference finals. With an injury plagued backline Chicago was helpless to stop the United attack . The match ended with a 4-2 score with Carlos Fernando Figueroa providing great leadership in the midfield.

In the final match, United faced off against Colorado. A simple marking assignment mistake by Leonardo Gonzalez put Colorado up 1-0. With United having trouble getting anything going in attack, a second goal from the penalty spot sealed United's faith and took the cup to Colorado.

United skipper was crowned the manager of the year following the season. When reached for comment about this achievement he said "Obviously I am pleased, but I think the award would have been well deserved by the Colorado manager. He did a very good job this season and as I had stated at the beginning, their squad and tactics were spot on from the beginning."

Carlos Fernando Figueroa was also selected the MVP and Stoyko Sakaliev was the top scorer in the MLS.

Already having a nucleus of young starters, United will not be very active in the offseason. Leonardo Gonzalez was allowed to leave since he would be occupying an SI slot next season and the manager preferred to keep Sakaliev, Alva and Figueroa in the squad for next season.

Jason Wright was also added to the squad to provide more options on the right side of the midfield.

United failed in an attempt to sign Brazilian youngster Ederson, as the player preferred San Jose. "Obviously they offered him more money. I wasn't prepared to break the bank and have Ederson the highest paid player in the club so we offered him a salary comparable to our other squad rotation players." United manager said.

"We would have offered Ederson more fans to play in front of, an already strong squad which would challenge for titles for the next several years, and a superb coaching staff."

"But I guess these intangibles were less important for him. I wouldn't be suprised if San Jose tries to offload him before the season is even completed. That's the type of team they are running over there and the treatment of Pezzarossi and Estoyanoff in the past are a clear example of how a manager can ruin his club's chances of competing."

"We have other options so I am not worried about losing out on Ederson. We already have an extremely potent attack. Right now we are looking into bringing in another defender that our scouts have spotted. I can't reveal the name just yet but I can promise that he will prove to be one of the premier defenders in the league."

• SI Staff

header_logo.gif

quakes.gif

After another round of bashing in the media, Al Clark, Manager of the SJ Earthquakes called a brief press conference.

"I know the decisions I made regarding our strikers turned out badly, propelled Colorado to a treble and left me wide open to attack. That said, I think that my actions regarding both Dwight Pezzarossi and Fabian Estoyanoff made sense at the time and although 20/20 hindsight is fabulous, they left for fair market value."

"Pezz played a full season for us, finished 3rd in the Golden Boot contest (with about 14 strikes). We got him for free and the deal we got back from the Rapids made perfect business sense. Given SGR had to take on the goal scoring duties almost single handedly last year its easy now to say Pezz should have stayed. Fabian Estoyanoff was a different score entirely. His arrival was much heralded by the club and his potential was obvious to everyone. But what do you do with a player who isn't happy? He didn't like the area and simply wasn't performing. He wasn't on cheap wages and had started to unsettle other players at the club. Frankly he had to go. He had to go if we were to have any chance of regrouping for the playoffs, which at that point weren't even guaranteed. He hit a pathetic 3 goals in over 20 appearances for this club and yet I am to blame? He averaged barely 6.75 in that time - I wouldn't accept those numbers in the PDL, let alone MLS."

"Estoyanoff's attitude and failings are what made the Pezz deal look bad. If he'd blasted 20 goals for me as expected no one could have said anything. Ultimately he was also traded, and the only offer on the table was the 1st Round pick of the Rapids. TI slots are invaluable and this was a very good deal for us considering I was probably going to have to release him".

"Now that we've analysed my failings, let's not forget that other managers have been very quick to move players, particularly foreigners , too. Omer and Russ have been two of the loudest and most critical opponents of my policy, however, DC have imported and moved Gakhidize, Suarez, Oktay and Gonzalez after a year or less. Russ has picked up two of them - Gak and Suarez - and the latter has already been shown the door despite a very solid season. So I'm not the only one here who has moved players. I'm constantly trying to improve my side and I will. If DC or Chicago tried the West out for a while they might understand - the competition here is fierce."

"Finally, Ederson made a good decision to come here. He can see the strong squad I've assembled and although our crowds are small, their vocal and passionate. I don't care what Pamucku says...he bid over $400k on this guy for a reason. If you look at the core of young players we adding Ederson to on this team - Vandenborre, Adu, EJ, Dempsey, Muri, Greer and the veterans - Pope, Cannon, Lennon, SGR, Ramirez and Chris Klein. Our squad is exceptional. What we've perhaps lacked in recent years (even more than a settled squad) is strength in depth. I firmly believe we now have the core and if some of the youngsters or trial players can step up we can be a dominate force in this league."

"So, I'm going to go back to the training ground and see what the new recruits are up to. "

• SI Staff

dc.gif

United boss issues swift response

"I suppose the best tactic you can use when you are dead wrong is to attract the attention elsewhere. My trading of Oktay, Gakhokidze and Suarez were done to bring in players who would fit the style of play that I had in mind. Oktay was better suited in LA's style so they got him and he did very well. Same with Suarez and Gakhokidze in Chicago. And when I traded them, none of them were top 3 in any of the standings unlike Pezza."

"San Jose manager has taken liberties when including Leonardo Gonzalez in the group of players who have left United quickly. Leo played 2 years for us and would be playing longer if we didn't need to open up an SI slot for him. It saddens me to let a player of his quality go. But rules are rules. I am sure he will be a valuable player for the MetroStars and we can get a good young prospect with the pick we got in return."

"I never doubted Ederson's quality. Only his choice in MLS clubs. I am sure he has the potential to be successful in the MLS. But as with any South American player, his likelihood of having adjustment problems is rather high. You have to stand by a player like that and play him regardless of his performances so that they are useful to you in the long run. This is something on which San Jose have failed miserably. I suppose Clark would have passed up on a player of Maradona's quality just because he didn't perform well for a few months while he was trying to adjust to the lifestyle."

• SI Staff

metros.gif

2006 METROSTARS ROSTER

We have entered a new calendar year, and the MLS offseason is half way through. With all the trades, signings, and releases took place after the transfer window reopened, the Metros roster for 2006 is almost set.

For goalkeeping, Lung had signed Dan Popik from LA under bosman rule. Matt Pickens most likely will get the nod to be the everyday goalie for the team, Lung was impressed by his performance that he put up last season, but Lung is still trying to bring Sweden international Sandqvist to US to provide some stability in the GK position. If he comes, Henry Ring will be the odd man out, there is no way a team will keep four goalie on a 24-man roster.

Goalkeepers:

Matt Pickens (projected 2006 starter)

Dan Popik (backup goalie)

Henry Ring (his future is up in the air)

As for the back line, Lung had added Costa Rican starlet Leonardo Gonzalez, though he is not a fan favourite in DC, Lung hopes he can pair up with Jeff Parke at the centre back positions and provide a much need defending effort for the Metros. Lung also added Joey Franchino.

Defenders:

Jeff Parke (captain)

Leonardo Gonzalez (starting centre back)

Joey Franchino (starting left back)

Chris Leitch (will be in the rotation)

Phil Salyer (will be in the rotation)

Kenny Arena (backup)

In the middle, it is almost the same as last season. Everyone has the chance to play everyday, it will just get down to pre-season training and friendly matches to decide who will be in the starting eleven for the opening game. Lung added Holland veteran winger Ronald de Boer in the middle and hopes he can be the mentors of the others.

Midfielders:

Brian Carroll (hardworking defensive midfielder)

Carey Talley (will see time on right and at centre)

Craig Capano (will be given some playing time to develop)

Joshua Gros (in the rotation)

Logan Pause (projected starting left midfielder)

Mark Lisi (his future is uncertain)

Ronald de Boer (leader in the middle)

Bobby Thompson (will be released if roster spot is needed)

Lung made a couple of huge changes for his front line. He acquired Clint Mathis from NE, and hopes he can provide some scoring burden off Peguero. Lung also brought in Chinese young star Chen Tao, his will be the first chinese to play in MLS. Lung has very high hope on him, and said he will be the future of the team. We will have to see whether he can live up to all the expectations.

Forwards:

Arturo Torres (maybe cut from the final 24)

Chen Tao (future of the team)

Clint Mathis (starting striker)

Jean-Phillipe Peguero (starting forward)

Paul Houser (will still be given time to develop)

Lung told reporters in a pre-season press conference that although his team will the the least favourite to make the playoff in the east, he expect his team to fight bravely and hopefully can earn a playoff spot for the first time under him.

With the MLS combine coming up, Lung had sent his scouts to the tournament and hopefully can pick up a few talents. Lung also has looked at some of the players that are available himself, the Metros has the second and eleventh overall pick in the draft.

• SI Staff

fox_soccer_channel(userimag.gif

quakes.gif

"To say I have no player loyalty is absurd. Sure, I mix things up and I might not be the most patient manager in the history of league play, but I have certain standards. If a player bad mouths me in the press, well, chances are his time with the club will be coming to an end."

"If you look at some of the higher profile (internationals) departures - Pablo Mastroneni, Fab Estoyanoff, Johnny Walker, Jason Kreis and so on - there have been public criticisms of myself or other players. I wont stand for that - the only person who is allowed to mouth off here is me icon_wink.gif"

"I think I have a keen eye for talent, much better than my scouts, and I can usually tell pretty quickly if a player in my system is going to make the grade. Omer has ommitted to mention Ryan Cochrane, who has had limited time over the last two years but whose potential is clear to me. I'm trying to nurture him into an everyday player, why? Because he's worth the effort. Paul Vasquez has hardly played a minute for me this year but he's going nowhere. Even bigger names - Freddy Adu and Anthony Vandenborre have struggled at times this season. Am I shopping them around? Of course not. I'm not stupid."

"A lot of my players like my forthright style and have acknowledged that after my media outbursts. Others, like SGR, consider me to be amongst their favourite personnel."

"Two years ago I came in with a vision of where I wanted this club to go. We were reeling after the departure of Landon Donovan, the press was full of horror stories about our future. I had to change that tide and focus on the product on the field. We had a decent year in 2004 (Conf Finalists), and last year the work I had done assembling a squad to compete was recongnised with our tage as joint favourites in pre-season. Unfortunately, we didn't fulfil our potential last year and so I've tweaked a little - adding quality in Eddie Johnson, Andre Muri, Neil Lennon, Steve Ralston and Ederson. EJ aside, none of those players are guaranteed a start which is a good indicator of our depth."

"I made a couple of mistakes last year, and a couple of bad seeds helped ruin the crop. I feel they've been weeded out (apart from the EJ FM trade bug!) and we should be a force to be reckoned with in 2006. I predict SJ for some silverware. Why? Cos if we don't get some I'll be sacked!! icon_biggrin.gif"

• SI Staff

revs.gif

Offseason Officially Underway

The postseason is officially over and New England can finally get to work in trying to revamp a roster that made the playoffs but finished 4th in the Conference. Once the whistle blew to end the MLS Cup, the deals made by New England could finally be approved by the league.

The deal sending disgruntled forward Clint Mathis to the Metrostars was finally approved and coming to the Revolution are talented midfielder Joselito Vaca, versatile defender Tim Regan and a 2nd round pick in the Superdraft. Vaca and Regan will immediately jump into the starting lineup at right midfield and right back respectively.

Also sent to the Metrostars was disgruntled defender Joey Franchino who was traded for Canadian forward Dwayne DeRosario. DeRosario will also step into a starting forward role to begin the pre-season. Though Ventura loves Franchino's heart, grit, and hard work, he requested to be on the transfer list so that means he no longer wanted to be in New England. Ventura's main goal for the team is harmony in the locker room.

Jay Heaps also packed his bags and boarded a plane to Dallas where he was traded for midfielder Duncan Oughton. Though he took some criticism throughout the league for sending Heaps cheaply, Ventura just didn't see Heaps as an integral part of the team and Oughton was a much needed piece in a defensive midfield that New England was bare in.

Continuing a good relationship with Stu Hopkins II, New England just days later sent midfielder Jose Cancela to Dallas for a 4th round pick in the Superdraft. That was done to open up an SI spot and at the same time trying to get something for Cancela rather than just cutting him. With that SI spot, Ventura brought in Paraguayan defensive midfielder Angel Ortiz who was spotted by his scout playing in South America. Ortiz will slot in next to Oughton at the beginning of the season in what hopefully is a formidable defensive midfield.

Released on frees were defender Steve Howey, forwards Andy Herron and Fabian Taylor. All cut to make room for the new SI's and Ti's coming in. Steve Ralston was signed on a bosman by San Jose.

Ventura hopes that the new players combined with some luck and scouting in the Superdraft, can have New England at least competing for a top spot in the East next season.

Summary

IN: Joselito Vaca(trade), Tim Regan(trade), Dwayne DeRosario(trade), Angel Ortiz(purchased), Duncan Oughton(trade), 2nd and 4th round Superdraft picks

OUT: Jay Heaps (trade), Clint Mathis(trade), Jose Cancela(trade), Joey Franchino(trade), Steve Ralston(bosman), Fabian Taylor(free), Steve Howey(free), Jeff Agoos(free), Andy Herron(free)

• SI Staff

header_logo.gif

fox_soccer_channel(userimag.giffire.gif

Grommen Welcomes Boban

Fire fans welcomes mat for Macedonian International Boban Grncarov. He's an established internatioanl with 13 caps at the tender age of 23 and is eager for this chance.

"Last season I underestimated the impact of trading CJ Brown to DC United. However, now I have aquired a young defender on the verge of greatness and his presence in defense will improve the other players around him. Boban is a big strong brave lad and fierce competitor, he will fit our malevolent style of play perfectly" icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

header_logo.gif

MLS Announces the 2005 Season Awards

Most Valuable Player

most_valuable_player_2.jpg

Rookie of The Year

rookie_of_the_year_2.jpg

Scoring Champion

scoring_champion_2.jpg

Goalkeeper of The Year

goalkeeper_of_the_year_2.jpg

Defender of The Year

defender_of_the_year_2.jpg

All Pro Team

all_pro_team_2.jpg

Goal of The Season

goal_of_the_season_2.jpg

Manager of The Year

manager_of_the_year_2.jpg

• SI Staff

http://www.mlsnet.com/mls/imgs/header_logo.gif

San Jose Deal Away Yet Another International

San Jose manager saw fit to deal away yet another player when 18 year old Belgian Anthony Vanden Borre was dealt to MetroStars for a first round draft pick. The young Belgian has been in MLS just over one year when he was brought in on a Bosman transfer by San Jose.

It is reported that San Jose manager and Vanden Borre were in a heated feud as Clark tried to push Vandenborre out of the club. San Jose have brought in the likes of Mark Bosnich, Khari Stephenson, Inigo Rey, Fernando Hierro, Jardel, Dwight Pezzarossi, Fabian Estoyanoff and Anthony Vanden Borre in the last two years and promptly dealt them away due to various reasons. With reports that San Jose are looking to bring in 3 other international players over the next few months, it will certainly mean that some of the current crop of International players in San Jose will end up leaving San Jose in the near future likely causing further problems in the dressing room for Clark's Earthquakes.

• SI Staff

header_logo.gif

fire.gif

Fire go Bulgarian

Grommen and the fans have welcomed thier second big offseason signing from Eastern Europe. Kostadin Hazurov, a 20 year old striker with 1 cap, has joined us in a 750k gbp deal from CSKA Sofia. This takes the high rollling Fire's transfers to over 1m gbp this offseason for 2 players.

" He's a very talented player and I feel that he has such a bright future that 750k is a bargain price. True, it is rather exepnsive for an MLS club to make an aquisition like this, but when you have the money you have to spend it, and flaunt it. ":P

"I can't believe San Jose dealt away a player like 18 year old Belgian Anthony Vanden Borre. I wonder what Clark is trying to do to his team chemistry, so soon before the season starts. In my opinion the problems in their dressing room are all manifested by Clark, to give up on an 18 year old kid is just ridiculous. I wonder if Clark is recieving help from a mental health professional. What kind of Micky Mouse organization is he running, since this is turning into a farce!"

• SI Staff

header_logo.gif

quakes.gif

Clark Rants, Announces Julius Aghohowa Signing

"Am I supposed to be apologetic or something? I'm running a business here, trying to make this team as competitive as possible. Anthony Vandenborre is a talented lad, no doubt about it. His year with SJ was productive and at 18 years old, he's got a long term future in the game. However, he was the last remaining contingent of the unhappy players in my lockerroom. Much is made about how turnover is affecting morale and the attitudes of the players (personally I think it keeps them on their toes) but a disruptive player is much more damaging."

"VDB wasn't pleased that he wasn't seeing much playing time, frankly, he was on the fringes and would have nailed down that DM position over the next year or so. But projects are hard to accommodate with our 24 man roster limit - and it's even harder when that player is a TI."

"Grommen and the rest should shut up and look after their own affairs. I've not seen much silverware heading to Soldier Field lately either. If they had to work under our financial constraints I'd like to see what they'd d."

"So, the decision was that as he was unhappy and more importantly, that a suitable replacement for that position had been found, I was happy to deal him for the Metro's first - which in all likelihood will be the #1 overall. That should bring in a player of a comparable standard that is not foreign."

“And, Julius Aghohowa is the player coming in. This is a huge signing, one of the biggest in MLS history. VDB wasn’t passed up lightly, but when people realize that we had an opportunity to sign Julius on a Bosman we simply had to take it. Andre Muri had only just arrived and we have big expectations for him. He’s going to help shore us up at the back. Ederson too, is a new arrival for this season. I hope that in a proper context, these dealing make much more senseâ€

"To address some of the names mentioned...Well, Khari Stephenson, Jardel and Fernando Hierro were all short term deals. Khari finished out the season after being released by KC and did okay. But he knew he was only there until the end of the season. Jadel never did enough to warrant an extension in the summer. We knew he was a gamble, I just wish we’d kept Hierro around instead. Bosnich, Pezz & VDB all played at least a year for us before moving on at market value. It was hard to justify an SI spot on a GK and we got Joe Cannon in return, I’m not going to feel bad about that. Estoyanoff's troubles were well documented but he had to go. I must admit, I feel sorry for Inigo Rey, he did nothing wrong but really suffered due to an administrative oversight (namely Andre Muri not becoming an SI this season as expected). Unfortunately with Ederson coming in as well, Rey had to make way. However, he was really only in camp on trial after his release from KC(Col?) so he knew the score in advance. Naturally, the sensationalist press made no mention of Ramon Ramirez who has worn our Captain’s armband for two straight seasons, nor Sergio Galvan Rey, whom we sponsored for residency. They’ve been two great servants to this club and we’ve always looked after them. Ramon is in the very twilight of his career, but SGR has plenty of goals left in him even at pushing 33.â€

"And yes, I have two senior internationals coming in - but we only have 1 SI right now (Ramon Ramirez). SGR recently received his Green Card, freeing up another space and as mentioned, Jardel was released.â€

“So, I know there has been another summer of transition, but now I feel we have a team capable of competing at the highest level.â€

“We picked up some excellent talent in the draft, Mike Cervantes in particular will be a very good MLS player. We had a lot of picks and I think we surprised a few folk by keeping a lot of them around at the 26 man cut. We had a lot of guys in camp, but I agree that at some point we have to start laying some roots. We have only 13 players over the age of 23, which means we’re young and talented. And despite the negative press, the 24 guys in camp come MLS First Kick will be part of the SJ evolution….not a player revolution. We’re ready to challenge this year which is saying a lot given the bar in MLS was raised yet again with some excellent discovery signings and prospects coming through the draft.â€

“MLS 2006 looks to be the best season yet in the leagues 11 year history!â€

MLSnet.com offers fee live audio and video feeds of every MLS game. Check out our website for more details!

• SI Staff

metros.gif

2006 METROSTARS PRESEASON UPDATE

The 2006 MLS Superdraft has just taken place yesterday evening, this year's rookies' class is much more talented than last year's one.

Here is the picks the Metros has made in the draft:

1st round: Kevin Flores (SC)

2nd round: Matt Philips (GK)

3rd round: Brad Peterson (AM RC)

4th round: Tony Brown (GK)

5th round: Peter Brown (SC)

6th round: Jason Campbell (D/DM LC)

The Metros used their second overall pick on striker Kevin Flores. He has enough talent to jump right into the backup striker role. The pick of Flores means the Metros will give up on Arturo Torres, he was eventually cut by the team.

The Metros goalkeeping was one of the problems for the past two seasons. Due to the fact that Lung do not have sufficient fund to bring Sweden goalkeeper Jonas Sandqvist to US, he used his 11th overall on Matt Phillips, who he hopes will be a promising prospect in the future. Lung also picked Tony Brown on the 4th round, he was with the team for a couple of days before he was released. After Brown got released, the Metros still have 4 goalkeepers on the team, Henry Ring will likely be left out of the final roster.

The team has released midfielder Bobby Thompson. Metros 5th and 6th round draft picks Peter Brown and Jason Campbell will also be left out of the squad later due to the 24-man limit. During the Supplemental draft, Metros picked up a very solid verteran midfielder Manny Lagos, he and Ronald de Boer have been around for a while, they can provide leadership for this relatively young team.

3rd round pick Brad Peterson will be given some time during preseason matches to show his potential, but he probably will be the one who get cut if roster spot is needed.

Shortly after the draft, Lung made a trade with San Jose head coach Clark, he sent his next year's first round pick for Anthony Vanden Borre, a Belgium yound talent, who was unhappy in SJ. Joey Franchino was unhappy in NE, but now he buys in to the Metros system. Lung hope Vanden Borre can do the same thing. If he performs well and can help this club gets into the playoff or even better results, the first round pick will be a late one, and Metros will be on the winning side of the trade. History tells us that so far that the trades Metros made with SJ are all favour SJ, let see if this one will be the other way round.

• SI Staff

dc.gif

United Boss Unveils New Signing and Joins the Feud

In his weekly press conference, United boss unveiled new signing Sashi Chalwe who was brought in from Sundowns of South Africa. The 23 year old Zambian is expected to fill in at the heart of the defense as United look to stregthen their squad. He cost United 110,000 GBP which is likely to be a bargain for a player of his abilities.

In the draft, United picked up talented goalkeeper Scott Ellis in a suprise move as Rimando has been excellent for United over the years and Troy Perkins is a valuable backup. "Scott has great talent, I expect him to be the future of USMNT and he could easily be one of the top keepers in his tender age of 21."

United also added some youth to the midfield picking up Jim Dusosky and Matt Garcia in the draft. It is unclear whether these players will make the 24 man roster but were able to show great promise in the Combine matches.

United boss also predicted the next victim to San Jose manager's bizarre transfer habits. "Ramon Ramirez or Neil Lennon is likely to be leaving the Earthquakes at some point this season. With Clark having lined up two SI players as well as a TI player for transfer and San Jose's roster already having 2 SI and 3 TI players, they will have to show the door to at least 2 players this season. It's a really shameful stituation. Treating players like cattle, that is."

"More and more this is turning into the situation where the unnecessarily large influx of Scandinavian players into the English Fist Division resulted in a halting of the season just over a year ago."

"Clark seems to think he can be successful by just buying, but unfortunately he doesn't recognize that he moves players before he even gets a chance to truly assess their talents and build a tactic around what he has. I believe he has lost the plot."

• SI Staff

header_logo.gif

metros.gif

COMMENT ON CLARK'S WORD

San Jose coach Clark said earlier in the moring, "Grommen and the rest should shut up and look after their own affairs. I've not seen much silverware heading to Soldier Field lately either. If they had to work under our financial constraints I'd like to see what they'd d."........the decision was that as [VDB] was unhappy and more importantly, that a suitable replacement for that position had been found, I was happy to deal him for the Metro's first - which in all likelihood will be the #1 overall. That should bring in a player of a comparable standard that is not foreign."

Clark has heated up his relationship with other coaches after his respond to Chicago coach Russ. This may turns out to be a war of word. Metrostars coach Lung had this to say about Clark's word on the VDB trade, "I am happy to talk or make trades with him, but I think he went too far with his words, I cannot believe he said the pick will be the #1 overall in next year's draft, he was just impplying that we will finish last in the league next season, my team did not pick first in last night's draft, and I do not think we will next season. This is ridiculous, I do not see him doing a very good job out at the west either, players coming in an out, they are unsettled, and later become a disease in the locker room. Even if my team finish at the bottom last two seasons, my players buy into my plan, thats why I do not have any locker room problem. I think if you want to build a competitive team, you need to have patient, build around you core group of players, thats how team chemistry emerge. The way Clark does it will not help his team moving forward."

• SI Staff

crew.gif

Coach Smith-Bryan II goes over his draft choices.

Coach, your first pick was Peter Winters, describe the thought process that led you to pick this young man:

"Well, our front line needed some bolstering, and this lad has the most difficult thing to defend - pace. No defender no matter how talented likes playing against players who are fast. I've got big hopes for this guy."

Chris Kouzmanis, a central midfielder, he's only 17 but looks a terrific prospect. Did he come in strictly as a back up?

"While Kouzmanis is young, he's also talented. I believe he can learn his trade from the likes of Elliott and Paule, then go on to become a major force in this side. When you look at our midfield players of Patronen and Szetela, we've gone with youth once more. That can only be beneficial for this soccer club."

Michael Banner Jr (Mike) was reasonably high up in the order of draft picks, but wasn't drafted until the third round, why did you decide to go with 'Mike'?

"Out of three games played he's scored three goals, so there must be something about him that he can put the ball in the back of the net. He has great technique and fits in with our pacey front line, while giving us an extra dimension. We'll get him in, evaluate him further and go from there."

Any further comment coach?

"Yes, I believe the the east will be victorious this year."

• SI Staff

header_logo.gif

fire.gif

Grommen Continues to Lash Out

Clarks's Comments-" Grommen and the rest should shut up and look after their own affairs. I've not seen much silverware heading to Soldier Field lately either. If they had to work under our financial constraints I'd like to see what they'd d....Julius Aghohowa is the player coming in. This is a huge signing, one of the biggest in MLS history...So, I know there has been another summer of transition, but now I feel we have a team capable of competing at the highest level...We’re ready to challenge this year"

Grommen issues this statement to the media It is evident that Mr. Clark is seriosuly unwell. Every team has financial constraints and it's all about getting the fans in to support your entertainment product. San Jose have been lackluster on the pitch so all the entertainment can be had for free by watching the media circus berate the incompetant manager. Aghohowa will be a great addition to the MLS there is no doubt about it but where will he be in 6 months time? Dallas, LA, Kansas City, New York, Columbus...your guess is as good as mine. Clark is in a perpetual rebuilding mode and it's a very depressing cycle that he needs to break before his team will be ready to challenge. Last season he was expected to challenge and because he destroyed team chemistry and morale he finished 4th in the conference. So maybe this season he's aiming for a lofty 3rd place finish. :p

• SI Staff

img]http://www.fmusa4you.com/forums/images/avatars/gallery/Soccer/quakes.gif[/img]

Clark Backtracks....a little....

After the latest blasts in the media, SJ boss Al Clark felt there was some explaing to do....

"Yes, it's true. I forgot about Neil Lennon. I had hoped to keep this under wraps but given the circustances, I might as well break the news now. Ramon Ramirez will be leaving the club in the summer, in preparation for receiving our two new SI's. Ramon is pushing 37 and has had two good seasons here, the first was good enough for MVP honours. We've agreed that in July we will part ways, he's atlked about a coaching badge and if that pans out he will move to our non-playing staff."

"Ramon's role until then will be a supporting one, which is why I am able to let him leave. Age is finally catching up with the wiley old capaigner. His numbers dropped a lot last season, yet, as a testament to the class player he is, was still amongst the leaders at the club. With the new arrivals (Ederson, Cervantes, Lennon et al) I am able to use Ramon more sparingly as the transition to the new playmaker takes effect. If another club wants Ramon, out of respect I would allow him to leave."

"I realise I've attracted a lot of negative remarks, and I have shuffled the pack. I've said before, so have a lot of other managers and in particular those who have been most vocal against me. I'm not here to win any friends, if people want to hate me for trying to build a decent side here then so be it. They should mind their own business."

"That said, I want to extend an apology to Ricky Lung at the Metro's. I was not meaning to insult him. However, NY/NJ have placed 10th and 9th in the last two seasons, it's quite fair to speculate another high pick is not out of the question. I appreciate Ricky has been working hard bringing in replacements and I know that the arrival of VDB will greatly enhance their playing staff. Who knows, this may not turn out to be as good a pick as I hope...but we wont know that for a few months yet."

"Johan Grommen seems particularly bothered by my transfer habits. I'm not sure why? I realise VDB is a fellow Belgian, but surely it's not that simple? Grom should work out some tactics that don't involve hurting opposition players and spend less time taking potshots at me in the media. He has a cheek to insult the quality of product I've put on display here in my two years....we've had a league MVP, twice won the Golden Boot (Tied in 2005, but only because of playoff goals), a Goal of the Season. We made the Conference Finals in 2004. All this despite averaging only 13k through the gates, with financial uncertainty, and only $80k over two years to spend on new players. I wish we all had the luxury of spending $1.35m on a SINGLE player, but we don't. With the lavish spending spree Grom is on, he'd better make sure and win something himself this year. And yes, I do have a little bit of money now, but barely a fraction of what most other in this league have. That's why I've had to wheel and deal, sign players for free and trade them for picks or other players. That's what you have to do when signing multi-million dollar interntationals is not an option. Chicago are a bunch of thugs, they usually beat, literally, their results out. The rest of us are playing soccer....not gridiron. "

"As for Omer, we'll he always has a lot to say. He's usually pretty much on the money but I'm going to have to disagree this time. I only have 2 TI on the roster - Ederson & Muri. Aghohowa will be the third. As for SI - both Ziadie and SGR have green cards, leaving Lennon and Ramirez. As mentioned, Ramon will be stepping down in the summer after 2.5 great years at the age of 37."

"Just because I brought a lot of players into camp doesn't make this a cattle ranch. It's called competition. After last season's lack lustre showing, I needed to get my players going. Those who were not buying into my policies were traded or released and now I have the team I wanted. Now I have to prove that the methods used getting here were correct. The end must justify the means."

"Of course, I now have a very strong young core of players - Eddie Johnson, Clint Dempsey, Ederson, Muri, Aghohowa, Adu, Mascarenhas, Cervantes - some key players in their peak - Klein, Cannon, Vagenas, Ziadie, Martino - and some veteran heads to guide the rest - Pope, SGR, Lennon and Ramirez. I assure you that the majority of these players will be here for some time. I personally guarantee that EJ, Ederson nor Aghohowa will be traded for at least 2 years. They, along with Adu, are the future of this franchise."

"I'm going to let my team do the rest of the talking."

• SI Staff

dc.gif

United Boss Issues A Response to Clark

"Clark already announced the signing of Aghahowa so he does have 3 TIs. And with the 19 year old uncapped Belgian Henriques Patricio Bengui-Dombaxe coming in on a free in July, this would give 4 TIs to San Jose" United boss reminded.

United boss also encouraged Clark to adopt a more scientific approach to building his squad after Clark yet again announced that he now has the players he wants. "That's what we heared last season as well. So if he causes his team to underperform once again this year he's going to dupe new players to come and play for his appropriately labelled mickey mouse organization? He should concentrate on improving his tactical skills rather than going out to buy every player who shows a slight interest in him. In all honesty, he should look to Greg Broz for some advice on how to tactically prepare his team."

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

"The deal for the young Belgian was not in the public domain. I don't know who leaked this but I'm not happy. That deal is dead in the water, we knew it and frankly so does the kid. We told him, but the absence of a way to cancel a deal means he's going to have to hang in there until the contract defaults. None of my SI's are going anywhere. It was a tough break, but the deal was done by departing AssMan Stevie Nicol. We almost signed him last year but decided against it. Nicol saw fit to sign him from my shortlist. You'll note he's now unemployed."

"I agree there's also some work that i need to do tactically, we dropped a lot of points late in games the last couple of years. There's a stamina issue that has been helped since I took over training from Steve Nicol who was hopeless. No wonder NE dumped him. Lucas Radebe is here to help now so hopefully I'll see some improved fitness. I'm also hoping less players get hurt in training as Stevie had a God-given talent for crippling folk whilst supposedly taking a light workout. Also, i need to learn how to get my boys to pull together on the road better, they were second best in almost every encounter away from home last year, and ultimately that's where we fell short - to Colorado."

"My team is in place, so I guess the spotlight falls on me. I can live with that. If the results don't go my way I'm sure you'll the back of me. I think it says a lot, that despite all the mouthing off in the press from other corners, my board and fans have stayed totally loyal to me? However, they've been patient enough...it's time for both the team and myself to deliver the goods. Anything less than an MLS Cup Final appearance, or Open Cup Trophy will be considered a failure this year."

• SI Staff

metros.gif

LUNG ACCEPTS CLARK'S APOLOGY

"I know I do not have the right to judge anyone, since my team finished at the bottom this past two seasons, but I am just trying to point out that bring players in and out like stocks being traded on the market will not help the team to get a championship. Saying a draft pick will be a #1 overall when the season has not even started is just way too soon."

"I accept the apology that Clark made a while ago. We are not here to start any feuds. There is always a lot of trash talks going on when the season is about the begin, if not, what can the reporters write on tomorrow's paper? It is part of the business, comments coming from all directions, some may not even be true after all, all this talks are meaningless when the season gets underway. The bottom line is when the season kicks off, we will just let the teams' performances speak for us."

"Regarding his comment on his team expectation this season, I am not questioning his coaching ability, but if he said less than an MLS Cup Final appearance, or Open Cup Trophy will be considered a failure this year, I think he has a lot of work to do, his team is experiencing a transitional period with all the youngsters, and there are a few other teams which are clearly have a better team on paper than SJ."

• SI Staff

header_logo.gif

fire.gif

Clark-"Johan Grommen seems particularly bothered by my transfer habits. I'm not sure why? I realise VDB is a fellow Belgian, but surely it's not that simple? Grom should work out some tactics that don't involve hurting opposition players and spend less time taking potshots at me in the media. He has a cheek to insult the quality of product I've put on display here in my two years....we've had a league MVP, twice won the Golden Boot (Tied in 2005, but only because of playoff goals), a Goal of the Season. We made the Conference Finals in 2004. All this despite averaging only 13k through the gates, with financial uncertainty, and only $80k over two years to spend on new players. I wish we all had the luxury of spending $1.35m on a SINGLE player, but we don't. With the lavish spending spree Grom is on, he'd better make sure and win something himself this year."

"Al Clark's treatment of my countrymen is boarderline criminal, he neglected the talented Vanden Borre. I'm happy that he is with coach Lung now because he's building a team the right way and they will be vastly improved this season. Then, well the treatment of fellow compatriot Henriques Patricio Bengui-Dombaxe is utterly disgraceful. I know for a fact that he was excited to be comming to the MLS, and to blame it on Steve Nicol points to the organization's credability."

"We have earned every penny that we've spent, we unexpectedly earned a trip to the MLS Finals in 2004 and went to the Conference Finals in 2005. Plus our fans have come out to support the team we are usually packing in over 20k to Soldier Field. There is no pressure for us to win trophies this year, we're building a competitive team yet it's too soon for us. Clark is trying to shift some of his own pressure to perform since he's really on a hot seat. "

Clark-"signing multi-million dollar interntationals is not an option"

"Al obviously hasn't taken his Lithium, because he's brought in many more multi-million dollar international players than I have. Players like Jardel, Lennon, Hierro, Bosnich, Dwight Pezzarossi and Fabian Estoyanoff they may have cost him nothing, but he'd be delusional to think that they are anything else but top class internationals."

Clark-"Chicago are a bunch of thugs, they usually beat, literally, their results out. The rest of us are playing soccer....not gridiron. "

"So this is where all the rumors are comming from, calling us thugs. We aren't thugs, we play hard defensive football. Just because our team lacks quality doesn't mean we're thugs. We are industrious and hardworking and that's how we make up for lack of quality so we can compete and be close in every game. Clark's just jealous of our team work ethic and unity."

Clark-"Anything less than an MLS Cup Final appearance, or Open Cup Trophy will be considered a failure this year."

"He's expecting to much...the team will need time to gel together and delevop an understanding. He better brace for failure now, since he has no chance what-so-ever of winning the Open Cup or appearing in the MLS Cup Final."

"Omer is right, Al should be asking Tom and Greg for advice on how to tactically prepare for matches. If Al is looking to have any success this season his tactics need to adapt to fit the current players he has at his disposal. He is single handedly giving the MLS a bad reputation with the treatment of players. The League needs to step in and take immediate action by instituting a transfer and trade embargo on Mr. Clark and San Jose, since he's bringing the game into disrepute."

• SI Staff

Former MLS manager weighs in on Clark scandal

Former NE Revolution boss Nick Gutierrez, the current manager of French Second League club Brest, has weighed in on the Al Clark fiasco. "He has a tendancy to let his mouth run ahead of his brain. He's very confident in his club, and he should be since he has a batch of great young talent over there in San Jose. But at this point in the offseason, predicting silverware with a club that got bounced in the quarterfinals last year is a bit unfair to the rest of the league. We've heard the backlash, and much of it does go a bit far - while Clark does keep having to change the locks of his dressing room, it's not as though these are all just Clark betraying the trust of his players. If a player doesn't like his manager, it's in the interests of the manager, the player, and the club to send that player to go play somewhere else, and that's what he's done."

"Now, as to the question of why so many players come to dislike Clark, as a manager who has had something close to a player revolt on my own hands and foolishly tried to keep the team together anyway, I'd prefer not answering."

He did, however, have one bit of advice for the embattled manager. "When you play Chicago, make sure to keep that Aghahowa guy far, far away from the field. That Grommen guy plays dirty. But I'm sure he knows that."

• SI Staff

dc.gif

United Boss Corrects Ex-New England Manager

"It is one thing to trade away a player who causes problems. But it's another thing to sign a player promising him first team football and then keeping him on the bench and citing the player's attitude as a reason for trading him away."

"Howerer, we all know that the sole reason for Vanden Borre's exile was yet another signing for Clark."

"I am suprised that Clark is complaining about his lack of transfer funds. He himself chose to bring in high wage players like Vanden Borre, Jardel, and Hierro huring the team's bottom line. If I were the chairman of San Jose, I would be hesitent to give Clark a large transfer kitty was well."

"With regard to Grom calling for a transfer and trade embargo on San Jose, I hope it never comes to that. Obviously the extent of Clark's transfer dealings have caused a lot of controversy. The council of managers for MLS may have to come together and make a decision on this issue in the coming months depending on Clark's transfer dealings."

• SI Staff

wizards.gif

After what was a good building block season the Kansas City Wizards keep a team that had a great defense and hopes to improve on it by adding a good amount of offense I have made a lot of key signings for the team hopefully they well work out

Brian Ching - Already talked about glad to see him with the team he will add a good striking presence to the team

Manual Sol - A defensive midfielder from Chivas I Was able to get him for 70k. Which I feel is a great deal for a player of his caliber.

Aubin Takuchie - A Ivory coast attacker who will serve as my 3rd option.

Leider Callmenio Preciado (Or L.C.P.) - A Columbian international striker that is assured to have a front spot in my team. I expect him to be a team leader and I feel that he is going be a top striker next year.

In the draft we got Peter Bachelu, Michael Phillips, Jeff Wegerle, Jason Dunn,

In a weird sign and trade deal we drafted Tony Brown and obviously Greg wanted him badly because he traded me a second round pick and Alex Boucicaut.

When asked about the off season, Wildcat Willy said this, I am happy with my team right now. This is the most impressed I have been with a team he feels that since the defense was kept mostly in tact and that the attacking game has gotten a huge improvement that this team could be contenders. He is going to try to make the minimal number of changes to the team.

When asked about Al Clark and if the Big A has finally flipped his lid when it comes to selling players.

“Al he is just this guy you know.â€

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

"Omer - 'sole' reason? I don't know if you've been consorting with my therapist (and contravening the client-doctor privilege) but how exactly would you know my rationale? For starters, VDB WAS unhappy. He had apparently lost confidence in my ability. A bit arrogant for a mere whipper-snapper. Back in my day kids had respect for their elders, never mind their employers! He has talent, but so Does Freddy Adu, and you don't hear him mouthing off. VDB would have stayed had a better option not had come along. I'm not stupid, I know he's talented. But would I rather have Aghohowa and a 1st Round pick, or VDB? Do I even have to answer? Julius coming in was the deciding factor, but by no means, the sole reason."

"My therapist has recommended I be open about these things, and he has suggested that perhaps the conveyor belt I set up in the locker-room is a manifestation of how I felt unwanted as a kid. I'm not sure about that, but I trust him so I'm prepared to explore that scenario."

Clark laughed off the DC bosses remarks about his 'high wage' signings.

"Hierro was on $1500/wk and was signed without a bonus. VDB was on a mid-range $3k/wk, but his wages were cap exempt. He signed with an approx $50k bonus. For most of my time here I have been running about $7-8k BELOW the cap (which is $34k/wk). Sure, I have a couple of higher earners, but I'm managed to resign a lot of my guys for wages that better fit the wage structure here. Even top players like Ramon and SGR are earning below $2k a week. As for fans, well, we've tried our best...I think I covered this already."

"Grom fails to realise that SJ too went to the conference finals and I receive no additional money. My fiscal responsibility has been rewarded both by my job security (an acknowledgement of how I worked within tight confines) and by the $1m I was given to spend this offseason ($360k on Ederson, a $300k signing bonus for Aghohowa). "

"I may have some anger issues, I may have some intimacy issues, I may have delusions of grandeur....but my doctor has doubled my dosage so everything is in hand."

• SI Staff

header_logo.gif

rapids.gif

Champions Speak Out

For the first time ever in the history of the MLS, Colorado managed the nearly impossible “trebleâ€. Best regular season record, Lamar Hunt Open Cup winners, and most importantly, MLS Cup Champions.

All this was done with a 22 man squad and on a yearly wage budget under $1.25 million (cap is $1.79 mil.)

“It is just amazing, just amazing. Here I was thinking that after the first game with SJ [in the quater finals] it was all going to fall apart. We BARELY held on to a 0-0 draw and got out without any major injuries, we did however, have to play the Open Cup finals 4 days later and then face SJ again 3 days after that.â€

“It was a stroke of luck on my part. I was allowed 7 subs for the [Open] Cup and with Magee injured and none of my temp keepers available, I tossed Pezza in the S1 slot hoping to rest him for the SJ game. Well with about 5 min. left and the score 0-0 I looked at my bench and realized he was still there and I had 1 sub left! I told him to just get out there and get open. I knew their defense was tired as we already had about 15 shots. With just under a minute to play he cut through the D and finds the net on his only shot. You know what was an insult though? Their keeper got the MoM.â€

That seems to be a trend for you and your squad. Fewest goals allowed, yet your keepers don’t even get top 3 in voting for keeper of the year. Players with hat tricks and very few MoM. Only 1 player made the all star squad and only one made it onto the list of the 16 best in the league (even that was at #16). With the best record in the MLS last year along with a 15 game unbeaten streak (17 if you count the Open cup wins), and coming off a year where you barely got in the playoffs do you feel snubbed for the manager of the year award? and your team snubbed for too many awards?

“I would hate to say yes because Omer did a hell of a job over at DC. I just think I should have been considered just a little bit more. Though I guess it is typical. I don’t think the fans even voted for their fan favorite, so we will just have to keep playing and proving them wrong. As for the team, of course I think they deserve more awards. But lets not take away from the accomplishments of the rest of the players in the league. We will just continue to play soild soccer and hopefully we will keep winning the big prizesâ€

What about the news coming out of SJ, DC, NY, and Chicago? What is your take on the situation?

“What has been going on? Hahaha Yea I have heard about it. Really I don’t know. Al can find talent that is for sure. I just am not sure he has the staff to cultivate the talent. There is something missing over there and I am not totally sure what it is. As for the other guys taking shots at him, well Ricky II had every right to be mad. Al basically said he was going to finish last again. I agree that it is too early in the season to call that. Al did appologize for that though. Omer is also bringing in quite a few foreign players, so I am not sure he has much room to talk. And I am not sure how Grom got involved…?? Lets just play some games and stop the talk.â€

I guess my only real complaint about the situation is… Can’t we just find more local talent? This is the USA and we can have a full roster of American players… we need to start developing and showing off the American talent. It would be nice to see some foreign clubs looking at our players for once."

How do your prospects look this year?

“Let me talk about the draft first. The combine had a few good players. Sadly, I was the last to pick in every round and I spent my first round pick on one of Al’s disgruntled players. By the time the 2nd round rolled around there were no GK left of ANY quality. I picked what my scout chose as the pick of the litter at that point and could only hope he would turn out. After that, I let the ass man handle the rest hoping that he would get some decent players. Let’s just say between this and him NOT SCHEDULING ANY PRE SEASON MATCHES AGAIN Paul Bravo is no longer with the organization. Though I have to admit, I was floored when Dennis Bergkamp, THE Dennis Bergkamp, submitted his resume. As a player he was…is a legend and now he felt he could help Colorado. His skill and his mentality were just the things the team needed. Maybe I can get some Dutch players now….hmmmâ€

“We then went to supplemental draft and there were 2 keepers of interest there. It looked like my #1 would be there when my turn came up, but the computers crashed and the draft had to be restarted. Because of the length of time it took to get the system online, some managers returned to their squads to start evaluations of their remaining players, letting their ass mans pick. I stayed hoping that my #1 would be there. It was not to be, as KC took my #1 choice. Part incensed, part desperate, I boldly went after their new GK. They initially wanted Pezza, but as he was one of the few players to garner any attention and felt I needed to hang on to him. I felt Bouc was not what I had thought he would be and was here only a short time. I had tried several times to release him and the board blocked me. I was not sure this deal would go though, but it did and I wish him luck in KC.â€

“With a new ass. man, and several new players my scouts had found, we went to work. We got started a little late on training because I lost about 7-10 days somewhere. I have got to stop going on those benders to Iceland… mmm Icelandic goddesses... err, um…where were we? Anyway, an early preseason game to warm us up before the champions cup saw the squad keep their form from last season with a 3-0 win over Seattle.â€

Any word on whether or not we will be allowed to look in on your training?

“I knew this was coming, everyone wants to know the secrets of the champions. I will have to say that I plan to divulge all if the streak gets past 20 games. Weekly training routines, tactics, tactical concepts, pregame sacrificial rituals, the works. Though, I am not looking forward to the burden my squad is going to face this year and I can only hope to duplicate the league success of 2005. We have quite the schedule ahead of us on top of many teams picking up high quality players. I know the whole league will be gunning for us as we were the best last year.â€

• SI Staff

fc%20dallas.gif

Another long season for Dallas?...

We all mistakes...and it seems the previous manager Stu Hopkins made a few. But I don't think anyone could have expected that the pick traded for Zack Thornton would turn out to be the number one overall of the entry draft.

But trading your first four picks for what amounts to Thornton and Craig Waibel? It's no wonder Stu lost his job.

Dallas had a tough year last year due to injuries and the MIA EJ. The high turnover of players on the roster could also have been a contributing factor. But, this year certainly bodes well for a marked improvement in the team's performance.

The youngsters are a year older, and the cancer in the clubhouse, (EJ), has been sent to that rogue Al in San Jose, (along with Brad Davis). The underachieving Oughton has found himself plying his trade in New England. Senior citizan Pareja has been released along with undeveloping Ty Maurin, Cdn Felix Brillant, and def midfielder Cancela. Back-up keepers Onstad and Taylor are also close to finding themselves on the chopping block.

New faces include the dedicated Todd Dunivant and Jay Heaps, ex-Chicago Fire Suarez and US intl Mulrooney. Joining the quartet of defensive mids are old boy Quill,(back from an unsuccesful sojurn at Al's SJ), and exciting forward Josh Wolff.

The addition of Heaps gives Dallas 3/ 4 of the 2005 MLS All-Star defence; (along with incumbent starters Behnke and Robinson). A healthy Steve Jolley could find Dallas with their entire defence on the 2006 All-Star squad. And Zack Thornton was the third ranked keeper in the league last season. An extremly formidable defence.

The team is loaded with determined hard-working players, but 'enjoy' a dearth of creativity in the side. An issue only partly addressed by the presence of Ronnie OBrein and the ever improving Eddie Gaven. The squad is also missing an on-pitch leader due to the exile of Pareja.

Goals, already a rare commodity for the Dallas side, have been dealt a serious blow with the injury to a key player. The striker Josh Wolff, (brought in to compensate for the loss of EJ), has been struck with injury, (again!), and will miss the majority of the MLS season. Leaving the goal scoring duties to be divvied up by Twellman, the young Magee, and the ancient JoeMax Moore.

All in all, it should all add up to an abundance of one goal games for the club. It remains to be seen if the II can find a way to turn most of those games in his side's favour.

Dallas Preliminary 2006 Roster

Keepers

Zack Thornton - Perennial All-Star

Pat Onstad - getting on in years, planning to retire at season end

Todd Taylor - not developing as hoped, on his way out unless he shows marked improvement

DC

Eddie Robinson - MLS All-Star two years running

Steve Jolley - Backbone of Dallas backline

John Burwood - Hot Prospect, will get lots chances to play

Andy Hall - see Burwood

Craig Waibel - despite stellar 2005 will serve as depth in 2006

Width

Jay Heaps - Hard-working MLS All-Star right back

Mulrooney - only current USA int'l on Dallas side; also will play in middle

David Wagenfuhr - pencilled in on Dallas starting line-up

Todd Dunivant - newly acq. from San Jose

Matt Behnke - Reigning MLS All-Star left back

Defensive Mids

Simo Valakari - arguably the most imposrtant man at the Cotton Bowl

Jordan Stone - Still considered the future at Dallas, Valakari's heir-apparent

Hector Suarez - Depth for Dallas

Attacking Mids

Ronnie O'Brein - More important than ever for Dallas

Eddie Gaven - Will have to perform this year for Dallas to be respectable

Eric Quill - Back to the side where he recorded 20 assists in 2004, too bad the man he was supplying is now in San Jose

Arthur Ashe - last year's first rounder will have to impress to stick with side through to 2007

Strikers

Josh Wolff - His preseason injury has crippled Dallas playoff hopes

Taylor Twellman - will be expected to win games as lone striker

Mike Magee - Off the bench specialist

JoeMax Moore - will start when Twellman is too tired

• SI Staff

fc%20dallas.gif

The II weighs in on Al...

"I get sick and tired of everyone dumping on San Jose Al all the time. If it wasn't for him, Dallas wouldn't have one of the top defenders in the MLS, Eddie Robinson. I, for one, hope he continues his catch and release program of high profile international players. My scouts don't seem to be able to find any, so without Al I'd have no chance of ever getting one."

"Al also provides me a place to ship Brad Davis every other year, and helps me get rid of all my malcontents. He is a veritable haven for disgruntled Dallas players. And I look forward to EJ's return in half a year when Al gets tired of him not performing. Once EJ sees how San Jose is run he'll never be unhappy in Dallas again!"

"I don't know why Al complains about lack of fan support, how can he expect people to support a team who's roster changes drastically week to week? Who is going to buy a replica shirt of some unknown international who is a good bet to leave town in a fortnight? Dallas fans know that if they buy a OBrein or Valakari shirt that they will be able to wear it with pride in six weeks time, and not have to cover up the name on the back of the shirt with masking tape. (The name on the front of the shirt? Now that's a different matter entirely!)"

"All other issues aside, I think everyone should just lay off Al as he generates publicity for the MLS in his own madcap fashion. Any publicity for the MLS is a great thing, and if this is the only way he knows to get North America and the World to notice us, then we should welcome it. He's certainly doing more for the cause than anyone else."

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

Season Underway.....eventually.

The 2006 season kicked off in earnest for Sj in WK2, after they sat out the opening week, along with Columbus (why?)

The session was dominated by the MLS clubs in the continental competition, with DC really flying the flag for the MLS. They are through to the semi's against Pumas after dispatching the legendary Chivas side comprehensively.

SJ used the session to adjust tactics, and formalized their 24 man roster. Julius Aghahowa arrived without much fanfare (pah) and joined up wityh his colleagues. EJ continues to be troubled, missing two training sessions. Clark's patience will be tested in the coming weeks and he gave GAM an official warning. In a peace offering he also tabled a league max $6k/wk 5 year deal in the hopes of pacifying the want-away striker, who has yet to kick a ball for the team. "EJ needs to realise he's going nowhere, not this season and likely not next. He's got 2 years on his contract and he could be the future of this franchise. I have recommended he speak with my therapist, that guy is a magician. EJ picked up a knock in training and missed the season opener, but he'll be back in the fray soon. He made it to the bench as an emergency player but I'm glad we could let him rest in time for next Saturday's match."

The Home Opener saw the Quakes matched against a rebuilt Dallas team. Stu II has been busy over at the Cotton Bowl, and the two had continued their history of trading in the off-season. Former SJ Assistant Captain, Richard Mulrooney, ran out against his old club the newly appointed Captain of FC Dallas.

SJ fielded 4 debutants in the starting XI - Defender Andre Muri, Midfielders Neil Lennon and Ederson and striker Julius Aghahowa.

The team played well after adjusting to some new tactical assignments. FC Dallas really took the game to them in the opening exchanges and Joe Cannon came up big a couple of times. The Texans clearly lacked a killer edge, in no small part to the injuries to Wolff and Twellman. They wont be this goal shy all season.

As it transpired, SJ weathered the storm and notched an opener towards the end of the first half. Julius Aghahowa tapped in his own rebound to open his SJ account. It was a sterling debut from the Nigerian hitman.

The second half saw SJ ease into control. Julius bagged a second with a sweet and clinical striker from the left corner of the box. His class was oozing out all over the pitch. "He's exactly what we needed. Between Julius, EJ and SGR I think we have the most potent attack in the league. They're also supported by some quality in the midfield with Clint Dempsey and Chris Klein on the wings, and our new playmaker Ederson in the middle. Let's not foget Ramon is still in the 1st team squad too. We should be good for a few goals this season."

Ederson had an inauspicious start in the teal and black, but Julius bagged a brace and the MoM award. Clint Dempsey had a very strong outing, supplying two assists and tormented the Dallas right back all day. Muri and Lennon were solid performers on their competitive debuts and did everything asked of them. Lennon will be team captain this season. Ramon will remain club captain until his departure in the summer. The veteran Mexican playmaker came on amongst the subs, along with 2005 1st Round draftee, Mike Cervantes and on-going D-project Ryan Cochrane (the only remaining member of Clark's original SJ squad).

So, with a 2-0 victory under their belts San Jose have started the season with a 'W'. Hopefully there will be many more to follow in a season where they, DC and Colorado shared the tag as bookie's favourite.

• SI Staff

metros.gif

2006 SEASON UNDERWAY

After all the offseason and preseason tuning, the Metrostars 2006 campaign finally got started. Just shortly before the season begins, coach Lung signed Turkey veteran Havutçu Tayfur to a one year contract. This move will further solidify the back line for the Metros.

The Metros open their season at home against Jimmy's New England. Due to some technical problem, coach Lung has to sit out this game. The game ended in a 0-0 draw. According to the recap, NE outshot Metros 5-1, and the only Metros shot came from the penalty spot where Peguero missed it. Peguero and Mathis both injured and Lung said he does not know how long will they be out.

After the game, Lung had something to say about the penalty kick problem that his team is having. "Since last season, Peguero missed 4-5 penalties already, he is going to lose his job at the pk spot from now on, Tayfur will take over the duty. I guess I have to have to practice penalty kicks more often, it is so frustrated when you missed a penalty in a close game. I know it is a lot of pressure to step out there with the game on the line, but we have to convert those chance, we cannot afford to miss those easy chances."

After the home opener, the Metros visit Columbus for their second game. Again, after the game, the Metros did not take a shot. They have not shoot in 180 minutes of plays other than the spot kick. Columbus came out on top 1-0 thanks to a Bryce header from a cross ball midway during the first half. At the post-game conference, Lung said, "I am quite happy with our team defensive effort, I have seen improvement at the defensive standpoint. Franchino, Gonzalez, Tayfur, and Vanden Borre had shown their presence, they only allowed one goal in two matches, and held their opponent to a low shooting percentage. Now is time for us to work on our offense, the bottom line is that you cannot win games without scoring, so we have to find ways to get our front players going. We will go home and face the defending eastern conference champion DC next game, I hope we can bring an offensive display that will please our fans." The Metros have yet another player down after the game, this time it is the captain Jeff Parke, who will be out around 3 weeks.

Despite all the defensive collaspe these past two seasons, the scoring power of Metros also is an area that the team needs to improve on, they did not average 1 goal per game. Lung also said during the post-game conference, "I hope the fans can stay with the team, it takes time to rebuild a club, now we are at the third season, and we have a core group of young players that we can build around with, we will try our best this season to get into the playoff and give the fans something to cheer for in October."

• SI Staff

revs.gif

SEASON BEGINS FOR NEW ENGLAND

After an active offseason and a tough pre-season regiment, the season began for the New England Revolution. Though they outshot the Metrostars 5-1, they were lacking something on offense to score a goal and put the game away. Both teams seemed tentative and this was a better result for New England as they were playing on the road.

Their first road game began well as they were tied with DC United, after about 60 minutes of play thanks to a 30 yard goal by Dwayne DeRosario but a red card for arguing a few minutes later by Angel Ortiz put the game out of reach as DC scored 2 unanswered goals and went on to win 4-2.

1 point out 6 is not exactly what Jimmy Ventura was expecting but for a bunch of new faces the team still needs some chemistry.

Here is an excerpt from his first press conference:

Reporter: How do you think you did in the draft?

JV: Well, we picked a few talented players in the first 3 rounds. First round pick David Campbell is already in the starting 11 and played well in the 2nd game at central defense. He has all the physical tools but just needs to work hard in training and keep his head on his shoulders. 2nd round pick Houser scored a goal in his first game replacing Vaca who received a red card in the first game. Dusosky and Miller have some talent but need to work harder to improve and will occasionally get playing time depending on the results of certain games but more than likely they'll get their chance next season. The rest were projects that we picked in the 4th round and beyond and we hope to get a gem out of any of those picks.

Reporter 2: How do you feel about the first 2 results?

Well, we would have liked to get a win at the Metros but they're vastly improved defensively and just didn't want to lose. We couldn't get that 1 goal that would have put the game away. Playing against DC is always a tough matchup and we were in it until the red card.

Reporter 2: You've gotten 2 red cards in 2 games. What will you do?

JV: It will be addressed.

Reporter 3: What are your goals for your first season?

JV: Well obviously we'd like to make the playoffs. From there just do our best and try to win a series or 2. We'd like the young players to develop and became a staple of our team. We're trying to show improvement from last season and show that my appointment was a good idea.

• SI Staff

fc%20dallas.gif

Dallas Scoring Woes Continue...

As they headed into the 2006 season, FC Dallas already knew that goals would be hard to come by in large part due to the season long injury of hitman Josh Wolff. This injury coupled with an unimaginative FC defensive midfield corps was predicted to leave the rebuilding side desperate for offence.

Just prior to the opening kick off of the season, Lady Luck struck again. She hit the already bare Dallas striker cabinet with another injury, leaving Taylor Twellman to join Wolff on the trainers table; bit by the injury bug. This left the scoring-challenged side fortunes to ride on the two remaining healthy strikers, ancient Joe Max Moore, and the still developing USA U21 starlet Mike Magee. Not the stuff that would cause opposing managers to tremble awake at night.

Holding the bad news heavy in their hearts, Dallas fans and players took to the Cotton Bowl to welcome the visiting KC Wizards. Newly acquired Richard Mulrooney lead the revamped Dallas side onto the pitch in his first action as the new captain.

Two players made their debuts for Dallas; Mulrooney at centre mid, and Jay Heaps at right wing. The side also welcomed back left-sided attacking mid Eric Quill, (back in Dallas from a season of discontentment at San Jose).

Dallas ran the visitors out of the building, creating countless chances against the bewildered KC side. The vaunted Dallas defence and midfield lived up to their preseason billing allowing only one long-range effort at net from KC, which drifted well wide.

Unfortunatley, for all their good work, Dallas lost the plot in the final third of the field. The squad directed some 17 shots at the KC net, most from close in, and could only hit the target with 3...all 3 of which were handled easily by the KC keeper.

Dallas was clearly feeling the effects of their missing twin strike force, and had to settle for a 0-0 home draw. But they could not reflect too deeply on the matter as they had to travel to San Jose to face Trader Al in 3 days time.

In a very exciting, competitive game, Dallas found themselves let down once more by their poor finishing. San Jose's new forward Aghahowa scored a brace to lead SJ to the 2-0 win. Particularly diapointing for the visitors was the performance of keeper Zack Thornton, who let in both goals and had quite a dreadful match. The 3rd ranked keeper in the league, looked anything but.

After two games, Dallas found themselves with one point, and no goals. Not the start envisioned by manager, The II.

"Maybe Zack was unnerved by our free agent signing of Henry Ring, I don't know...but that kind of effort is not going to sit well with our fans....I know Zack's bailed this side out a lot of games in the past, but soccer is a game with a short memory...if he doesn't get back on the ball right quick, he's gonna wake up and find Ring wearing his number one shirt on Saturdays."

"These two no-hopers I got, what are their names, Moore and Magee? They've got one more chance to start filling the net, and then they'll be replaced. I can find two 14 year olds in any South American slum that can hit the net better than them. They've been warned, the clock is ticking..."

"Never though I'd miss EJ..."

• SI Staff

dc.gif

United Announce Roster for the New Season

GK - Nick Rimando - Solid keeper played every minute of United's matches last season.

GK - Scott Ellis - First round draft pick has loads of potential, he will see some action this year.

D - C.J. Brown - Solid defender who makes occasional appearances for USMNT.

D - Sashi Chalwe - Rookie TI from Zambia, solid defender with all the tools.

D - Mike Petke - Long time United player and captain, could get limited time in defense due to depth.

D - Russell "Hutch" Hutchinson - Comfortable at centre or on the right side of defense, has been a solid performer for two years

D - Mike Jackson - Young defender who is expected to make an impact this year after being picked up in the first round of last year's draft.

D/DM - Chris Roner - Adds depth to the backline or the midfield as the need arises.

D/DM - Matt Denecour - Physical defender started 9 matches in the centre of defense for United.

DM - Ricardo Clark - Good performer could have a breakout year to establish himself as a premier midfielder in the MLS.

DM - Dema Kovalenko - Good technical skills make him a good playmaker from the defensive midfield role.

DM - Mike Schmidt - Picked up in last year's draft, failed to impress in his first season, he needs to improve this year or risk getting replaced.

DM - Jim Dusosky - Picked up in this year's draft, will need to train hard to make a place for himself on the team.

M - Marko Dinjar - 19 year old Croatian still has much to learn but can have flashes of brilliance running the midfield.

M - Carlos Fernando Figueroa - MLS MVP last season goalscoring midfielder with a scorching shot, can play in sides of the midfield.

M - Ben Olsen - Hard working United player who can play on the wing or in the centre of midfield.

M - Ivan Robelto - 23 year old Colombian has great technical skills and can cause plenty of problems down the left.

M - Justin Wright - Young right sided midfielder has good pace and technique, with a little luck he may become a high sought after player.

M - Matt Garcia - Young midfielder was picked up in the draft this year, creative player can play in the centre or right side of midfield.

M/F - Gavin Glinton - Can play in all sides of the pitch, his versatility and pace make him an asset.

M/F - Tom Keevan - 17 year old draft pick from last year, natural finisher who is still developing into his frame, will see some action this season, regularly features in the US U21 team.

F - Piero Alva - Peruvian SI assisted on 9 goals last year to lead the league, also a deadly finisher.

F - Stoyko Sakaliev - Flashy Bulgarian striker can create chances out of nothing, leading scorer in the MLS last season.

F - Jeremiah White - Third choice striker who brings pace, acceleration and finishing as his main assets.

• SI Staff

PHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW!!!!

Okay, that's everything until this point.

Stay tuned for more as we have it!

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

Session to Forget

Not much to cheer about for the boys form Spartan Stadium as they dropped points left right and centre and finished the 4 games without a win.

A predictable 0-0 tie with LA, was followed by a 1-0 defeat to Greg's Rapids side. Clark felt short-changed from the two games and was upset that his seemingly potent srikeforce had been shut down. "We made a lot of quality chances. I hate to say it again, but in another game we'd have won those two handsomely."

Another tie was to follow - 1-1 with Columbus in a game that had to be replayed due to a technicality. The replay did not work to Clark's advantage as both Julius Aghahowa and Eddie Johnson were struck down with injuries, before and during the game respectively. Add in a red card to Joe Cannon and Clark was miffed.

As a consequence, rookie Quentin Westberg was thrown to the lions for the away game at NE. A lacklustre SJ showing outfield and nothing short of incompetence between the posts saw Dwayne de Rosario come back to haunt his former employers with a brace as the Revs scored 3 on 5 shots. How they missed Big Joe.

In the only positive news, SGR scored in his last two games as he made up a makeshift front line with Freddy Adu and Chris Greer, neither of which is ready for a starting job. Ederson, Muri and Lennon continue to impress and have justifed Clark's faith in them.

"I'm hugely disappointed about those results, I think we should have had 3pts in two of the games, and a point in another. We were never in the frame without Big Joe in the last game. Still, instead of 2 points, we would have had 7 and we'd be in first place now."

The East have come flying out of the block again, and the predictable 'East is best' banter has started. With the West coming off two straight MLS Cups and 5 of the 6 trophies in the last 2 years, the Eastside Posse have a long way to go before substantiating such claims!

metros.gif

THE METROS ARE READY FOR THE CHALLENGE

2006 MLS season has already begun, we are 5 games into the season, there is no suprise that DC and Colorado are leading the way with 13 and 11 points respectively.

Looking at NY/NJ, after a 0-0 draw at home with NE, and a 1-0 away lost to Columbus, they continue to show their vastly improved defensive effort. Their defensive approach this season so far so good.

The Metros hosted DC for the third game of their season, as expected, DC came out and was firing shots, their offense is so effective, they dominated the possession and shot over 20 shots, but Matt Pickens and his defensive group limited the good looks to the minimum. When you get pounded by your opponent like this, there always will have a play or two that you will miss, the Metros showed that in the match, DC graped their best chance of the game and scored the winning goal.

Next, the Metros headed to Dallas to face Stu's team. The Metros suppose to have a 1-0 win when Peguero scored at the spot, but due to some an unexpected incident, the referee called of the game, and they have to redo the whole thing. The second time around, both teams did not play well at all or maybe it was because they were both sitting back, so there were not even one good looks throughout the game from both teams. The game ended with 0 shot on target for both teams, and a 0-0 result. So far, the Metros defense line is looking good, they have only conceded 2 goals in 4 games, but the problem is that they cannot buy a goal. Metros' Lung had put so many emphasis on defense during the offseason, we can see the efforts pay off. Now he has to work on the offensive game while mantaining the defensive effort.

The Metros get another tough customer for their last game of the session. They host Colorado. They played a lot better offensively when one of their main attacking focus Chen Tao got back into the lineup after missing several games due to injury. They managed to have 6 shots on goal for the game. Lagos scored for the Metros, but Colorado came right back with their only shot on goal. The Metros cannot guard the counter attack and have to take a 1-1 draw with the defending champion.

The Metros have shown their goods on offense and defense, they had 6 shot on goals themselves and limited Colorado to only 4 shot attempts.

We will see if the Metros can keep the intensity and continue to play the way they played these past few games.

dc.gif

Good Start for United

Six games into the season, United sit atop the Eastern Conference standings. In the first two games of the season DC came out with their shooting boots when facing Chicago running out 4-0 winners on the day.

Facing New England next, United faced an entertaining New England team. Two teams were even after cancelling eachother's two goals, until a New England were reduced to ten men on the pitch from a straigt red card. United took contol facing 10 men and scored two more to grab their second win of the season.

Facing Columbus is never easy as they bring a pacy attack and a rigid defensive formation. An early goal by Piero Alva proved to be the winner for United to hand Columbus their first loss of the season.

The match against the defensively improved MetroStars was not a goal fiesta this time around as they put on an admirable defensive stand against the United forwards. They were unable to stop an umarked Ivan Robelto in the middle of the second half, as United won their 4th consecutive match and was able to defeat all of the conference rivals in the first meeting.

The trip out West to Colorado to face last year's champions was a grueling one with some key players like Olsen and Chalwe recovering from injuries just before the match. Colorado's narrow, short passing, counter attack style was effective against United once again with Dwight Pezzarossi grabbing the winner from a long range effort.

Back at home and facing LA, United dominated the match, until ex-United Oktay Dereliogly opened the scoring in the second half. United pushed forward for the equalizer and got it from Jeremiah White who is making himself a name in the MLS for his goal scoring exploits as a substitute.

United are also in the CONCACAF Champions Cup semi final stage, and will be facing Pumas in a two legged affair for a place in the final. "Now how many Western Conference teams have done that?" commented the United boss after hearing about Clark's comments about the dominance of the West in throphies.

fc%20dallas.gif

Dallas manager, The II, expressed complete disgust yesterday with his side's current lack of form. "I hate to use the phrase 'overpaid, lazy, sacks of manure'", The II started,"But,...here we are."

The long-suffering manager was unhappy with his side's current run of performances starting from opening day. "Zero goals,"The II went on,"Five games...0 goals? How is that even possible?"

Dallas has been on a recent run of form in the MLS that has seen them squander four home games, without a goal to show for it; couple this with a 0-2 away loss, and Dallas appears to be in dire straits.

Hindering the efforts of the squad has been a lengthy injury list that has decimated the team of most of its strike force, and half of its regulars. Rumours abound of The II leaving his squad on intensive pre-season training...a month into the season. The II was quick to defend his reasoning,"What? I have to tell Bob Bradley , (the Dallas assistant), everything? Even a witless moron would know to change training once the season starts! I can't be worried about every little thing around here. Sometimes people just have to accept responsibility for their actions, and I'm sure Bob will come forward soon and accept all blame...at any rate...he'd better."

Not helping the squad has been keeper Zack Thoprnton's slow start to the season. The once dependable keeper has shown little of his previous year's form in this present season. A series of indifferent displays has left The II fuming...,"If I wanted a keeper to string together a bunch of '6's', I'd let Pat Onstad or Henry Ring play. It's no secret we can't win if our keeper doesn't perform. With the defence in front of him that he has, he has no excuse not to do much better. It's been simple, when he performs at a '7', we get a point, when he doesn't...we don't. And a '7' is a minimum standard at this level."

The II can at least take solace in the fact that his squad has yet to be outplayed on the season, often they have only been a crucial little bit of skill away from deservedly winning their matches. But, the II is not so easily cheered up..."Four home games gone! No goals and two effin points! My keeper can't keep the ball out, and my strikers can't hit the net...what a bunch of bloody useless t***s.

Dallas 3rd game of the year was at home against Colorado. They were lead out by their third choice captain, Eddie Robinson, as new captain Mulrooney was out injured along with 3 other starters.

The game was actually quite a good one, with a few well struck shots from both sides and a fair bit of attacking flair on display. In the twelth minute, Dwight Pezzsomethingorother snatched the lead for the visitors as he sent a half-volley past Thornton. In the 24th, disaster struck Dallas again as midfielder Quill was stricken with a back injury thanks to a rash challenge from de la Torre.

The end of the match saw what has already become a familiar scoreline for Dallas, a 0-1 loss. Thornton distinguished himself as the lowest rated player on the pitch, while his opposite number in the Colorado nets took home the mom. Eric Quill was diagnosed with a back strain after the match, and therefore unavailable for the side for three weeks. All in all, just another typical game for Dallas.

Dallas next hosted the Metros in a rematch of an abandoned game played earlier; (the previous corrupted game had seen Dallas run roughshod over the Metros, only to succumb to their oppo's only chance of the game.)

The II was pretty confident going in, knowing his luck was unlikely to be as bad the second time around. Unfortunatley, the game turned out nothing like a mirror image. Instead of just the Metros being terrible, both sides were. Neither side was able to even launch a shot on target, (lucky enough for Dallas, as Thornton would have been sure to let it in), and could only muster five chances between them, all of which went well wide. For his efforts of handling all back passes safely, Thornton was awarded a match rating of '7'; just the thing to plump up his season average.

The game was notable only for the loss of midfielder Stone, who went down late in the game and will miss the next two weeks.

The Dallas fans had obviously grown weary of watching their side blast balls into the stands as only 13,000 of them came to watch the visiting Columbus, down from the 20,000+ of the two previous matches. Columbus, lead by their diabolical geordie genius Lee, came out flying.

The visitors managed two shots on target, and of course, one went in. That was the difference in a pretty even game that could have gone either way. Except it's been obvious all year that when it comes down to it, its only ever going to go one way.

Thornton managed a game low match rating of '6' again, and midfielder Dunivant was carried off injured. Another Dallas classic.

The II was resigned by the end of the session,"I'd ring the changes, but they're all in the infirmiary. Apart from gutting the lot of them with a fish knife, I just don't know what to do. The fact is, they're not playing poorly, we're just being let down on the final bit at either end of the pitch. It's either we're just not good enough, or we're having a torrid run of bad luck...or maybe my assistant is to blame. Perhaps firing him will make the difference...we'll see...next session.

fc%20dallas.gif

First Dallas Goals of the Year...

Three of them in fact...in only five more games...

The first game of the session saw the offensively challenged FC Dallas squad travel to Los Angeles to meet the off-form Galaxy. Surely, the snakebitten Dallas side could find a way to win in LA...

Alas, the game was a typical one for Dallas. After 24 minutes, LA defender Hong-Myung Bo found the net on a header from a cross from Califf; who picked up the loose ball after his long throw-in was headed clear by Dallas defender Heaps. Just another set-piece from opposition sides to work against Dallas.

But redemption was in the card for Dallas in the 82nd as substitute Suarez found the back of the LA net in a goalmouth scramble resulting from a Wagenfuhr cornerkick. Jolley sent the ball goalwards only to be thwarted by Victorine's last ditch tackle; luckily the ball went straight to Suarez who gratefully bundled home FC's first goal of the season. Pandemonium ensued from the Dallas dugout.

When the match was finally restarted, LA goon, Broome, felled Dallas linchpin OBrein with a nasty challenge in the 89th minute. The ferocity of the challenge left OBrein unfit for the next two weeks. Interestingly enough, in a game marred with 7 yellow cards, Broome escaped punishment for scything down the MOM.

The 1-1 tie's end results were typical for Dallas; LA scored on their only shot to reach the target, a Dallas starter was hurt, and Dallas keeper Thornton was again the lowest rated player on the pitch.

The next game was a fairly even match at Kansas City. The diference in this game was a penalty kick awarded to K.C.'s Allen after MOM Jay Heaps brought down Precindo in the area. Two more Dallas players were injured, but at least the score was kept to 0-1.

The next game was at home to New England. Dallas players couldn't help but to notice their fans blasee reaction to their homecoming. Only 10,000 came through the Cotton Bowl turnstiles. One goal in seven matches just doesn't seem to fire up the fans like it used too.

In a game dominated by Dallas, the issue was never in doubt. The visitors managed only one shot on target...from forty yards...of course it went in. De Rosario scored from a prayer almost from the centre circle in the 12th minute.

Unusually though, Dallas clawed back an equalizer; again resulting from a setpiece. Wagenfuhr guided his corner to the near post, where Twellman powered his header past the hapless Rev goalie.

Twellman earned MOM for his efforts in the 1-1 draw, and keeper Thornton again had a game low rating of '5', his efforts not pleasing the San Jose faithful.

After the match, the Dallas press lost no time in criticizing Thornton's effforts on the season. The II quickly concurred, and the fans were only to happy to pile on the Zack bashing bandwagon. The flurry of criticism left Thornton feeling unhappy. Noone was too sympathetic, and The II was rumoured to be shopping the unhappy keeper around the MLS. An hot MLS rumour involved Dallas sending Thornton to LA for their unhappy keep Hartman..time will tell of any developments on that front.

In related transfer news, The II tried unsuccesfully to pry Hearts midfielder, (some yng N.Ireland guy, forget his name at the moment), and agreed on a price with Hearts; but the player wanted no part of the Dallas setup, despite being offered an obscene amount of cash. Noone much blamed him for his hesitation in joining the sinking Dallas ship.

Dallas next game was a home date against the hated San Jose and their under-pressure manager Al. Only San Jose has done so little in the MLS as relevant to their pre-season expectations as Dallas and the II had.

Henry Ring made his debut for the home side, deputising for the disgraced Thornton. The keeper had been signed on a free by Dallas in the beginning of the MLS season when the Metrostars deemed him superflous to their needs.

With the change in goaltender, came a change in forune for the Dallas side...well, sort of. Dallas enjoyed their first lead of the season! Eddie Robinson powering a header in off of a corner kick from Wagenfuhr. The 11,000 fans in attendance went beserk, and time had to be called to clear the pitch of toilet paper rolls and stetsons.

It wasn't to last though, as San Jose's saviour arose in the form of Chris Klein. The striker shot home the game leveller on, (you guessed it, San Jose's only shot of the game), the 70th minute.

Dallas kept up the pressure, but failed to find the deciding goal. The match ended 1-1.

Even with a different goalie, the Dallas keeper was still the lowest rated player involved in the match. Ring not really seizing his unexpected opportunity to earn a starting job.

With heavy hearts.Dallas travelled to Colorado to face Greg and his defending MLS champs. Colorado was already making short work of the rest of the MLS in the current season too, running away with the league early on.

Finally, a game Dallas truly deserved to lose. Dallas fell behind midway through the match and starting pressing forward, leaving large gaps in defence that Colorado exploited to great effect. Only poor marksmenship and an inspired performance from Henry Ring brought the match to its 0-1 conclusion.

Dallas did not manage a shot on target, but defender Jay Heaps did earn the MOM for his efforts in a losing cause. After ten games, Dallas was still without a win; 5 losses and 5 draws...and only 3 goals for.

After the match, Dallas also learned that they would be without the services of Richard Mulrooney and Taylor Twellman, (called up to the USA squad for the World Cup), and Ronnie OBrein, (ditto, but for Eire), for a period of weeks. The loss of their three most, (arguably) influential players, might prove too much to overcome in Dallas' search for their elusive first win.

Only the next session holds the answers to these and many other questions surrounding the beleagured Dallas side... fc%20dallas.giffc%20dallas.gif

fire.gif

Meet the Fire

Goalkeepers

D.J. Countess- Our undisputed number 1, last season saw him step up as he was selected to the All Star Team, was Runner up for Goalkeeper of the Year, and the MLS All-Pro team.

Chris Hall- young back up keeper with room to grow and develop

Defenders

Boban Grncarov- Experienced FYR of Macedonia international, first season in MLS as Ti, he plays with enough ruggedness to fit our system.

Jim Curtin- Big tough, solid defender yet to feature for the USMNT.

Shalrie Joseph- MLS Defender of the Year last season and Grenada International.

Leonard Griffin- Versatile defender that can play where ever we ask him to.

Danny Clanton- Solid squad player.

Ben O'Sullivan- Young full back who may see time on the leftside of midfield or defense, picked up in last season's draft.

Midfielders

Chris Roner- Newly aquired to add depth to the backline or the midfield as the need arises.

Brede Paulsen Hangeland- The hulking, Ti Norseman that fits in either as a centre half or in a holding midfield role, he's a rock.

Chris Armas- Longtime team captin

Jason George- Rookie

Justin Mapp- US under 21 international versatile winger.

Justin Moose- Promising attacking midfielder that will also see playing time on the right wing.

Georgi Gakhokidze- Si from Georgia who was cast off by DC, has turned out to be a solid left winger.

Amado Guevara- Si from Honduras who was the Supporters Player of the Year last season, he's the playmaker in our midfield.

Zach Kingsley- Versatile midfield asset with pace

Brian Parrish- 16 year old left midfielder on loan at Seatle and potential MLS star.

Forwards

Damani Ralph- Jamaican Si , has the potential be a 20 goal striker in MLS and is very dangerous when he's on form.

Davy Arnaud- Solid MLS squad player with pace and the ability to finish any chance he gets.

David Cota- First overall pick in last year's super draft, looks set to impress and succeed in MLS.

Konstadin Hazurov- Ti from Bulgaria, looking to take the league by storm like his countryman Stoyko Sakaliev.

Ryan Wood- Picked in last season's super draft after scoring 2 goals in the 3 combine games, needs time to develop.

header_logo.gif

rapids.gif

You’re Fired!?

At least that is what the other managers appear to be wishing on Rapids boss Greg B., though it hardly seems likely. The Rapids have once again moved to the top of the west and hold the best record in the MLS at this early stage. Boasting a record that shows just one loss so far in the season, it seems like Colorado is destined to try to repeat last year’s “trebleâ€. We caught up with Greg after a late morning training session.

“I know the other teams are frustrated with me. I have the good fortune of having an excellent staff, some great players and right now, a near perfect team chemistry.â€

The team is looking good right now, how are you able to hold it all together?

“Luck right now, but I think it is the skill of the players as well. Right now Zizi has only played one game for us, the slipped disk and then the dislocated jaw. He is just jumping at a chance to join the line up and when he does I am looking forward to unleashing a 3 striker attack force. It might actually get us some goals.â€

Pezza has been the go to guy in Zizi’s absence, how has he handled it?

“You tell me. I mean he has netted the game winning or tying goal in the last minute 2 or 3 times now, he has had games where he only put 3 shots on net and all 3 scored, it has been a thing of beauty to watch. I am shocked he has garnered zero interest from any club outside the US. Their loss, our gainâ€

Both of your keepers are young and your starter is technically not even out of high school. How are they handling the pressure of professional level soccer?

“Magee (17 year old “starterâ€) is doing fantastic. To think he was my second choice of the 2005 draft, and I was so worried when he had to replace the injured Aussie.. what was his name… anyway, he made some great saves and really caught my attention. Brown (20 year old “backupâ€), well once again I saw talent there. His teamwork is excellent and for a goal keeper, and I am not sure I have ever seen a higher work rate. Those 2 things told me he had potential. Both have done well in their starts, though my rotating them, while helping their development will probably squash their chances of winning any awards.

If neither of them are “good†enough to leave the US, I would love to see at least one of them here for the next 15 years. Sure, I probably won’t be around, but I see them as the future of the club.â€

High praise for both. How is the rest of the squad?

“My midfield is a little shaky and thin in the ranks. I fear Henderson’s time is nearly up. At 35 he still has good numbers, but not great numbers and not the numbers he had just a year or two ago. If he were to hurry up and get his coaching license, I would hire him on as a coach in a heartbeat. This guy gets higher ratings that most and he was a hell of a winger for me. Now I just need to find someone, other than Pezza, who can use his left like he did.â€

Well now the burning question. What in the world did you do to this club?

“HAHA. You make it sound like I did something bad, and I suppose to the other coaches I did. Better make yourself comfortable, you are in for an exclusive look into how I run this team.â€

header_logo.gif

EXCLUSIVE!

rapids.gif

Engineering It

A little background on Colorado’s dominance. To finish the 2005 season, they did not lose their last 15 games after Paul Bravo held the reins in a 0-4 pummeling from LA. Including the run to the Open Cup, they did not lose their last 18 games, which included an 11 game winning streak.

To start the 2006 season, they continued to win or draw all preseason games and tied both of their Champions’ Cup matches, losing on away goals. It was finally the first game of the season, against LA once more, that Colorado was stopped. This time 0-2 while Dennis Bergkamp was in charge of the squad. Since the 0-4 loss back in late 2005, Colorado has outright lost just 1 game in 33. This from a team that in 2004 could just not seem to win, let alone score on the road. The team made the playoffs that year, but was promptly disposed of by SJ.

“My initial idea was to go with 2 formations, an aggressive 4-4-2 at home and a more defensive 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 away. Zizi seemed to have the numbers to be our go to man; fast strong, agile, excellent header, but it just did not work out.

In addition to that, I was too defensive away and probably too aggressive at home. Both while trying to keep too high a tempo. Most of the team was fatiguing to the upper 50’s by the 80th minute. With only 3 subs, you can only stop so much of the bleeding and we were losing games in those last 10 minutes. We were to the point of using a fast tempo, which I had picked up in my coaching forays in Europe. It just was not working with these guys. And you can imagine they weren’t recovering to play twice a week.â€

New staff was brought in and a coach that was good with field players also had a background in fitness. The tempo was slowed to normal and just a tick below. That is where progress was made early.

The addition of Bergkamp to the staff was a huge boost and his recommendation to slow the tempo down was the slap upside the head I needed. I was really an angry man at the time and he had the grit to look me in the eye and tell me how wrong I was to do this. I was also fortunate enough to get the scraps from SJ’s international feast.

With new staff, I looked closely at the training I had and tweaked here and there. No need for training matches late in the week. Technical sessions and shooting, lots of shooting were added. For the guys who were not playing on Saturdays, they had a shoot around. For those who played less than 45 minutes, set pieces on Sunday. I made it so my backup keepers WISHED they got to start in the match. I also got rid of their training matches and got them into shot stopping and distribution. I know that worked because my keepers ended up with 3-4 assists in ’05. I kept the team as a whole, and while it may have hurt my defenders with the lack of defensive minded activities, the forwards flourished. I don’t know how many managers I have seen turn shades of red after seeing us score on our only chance or find the net on up to 50% of our chances in a game.

Preseason is a different story, the team stays together for most of the work, but then I brake the team up into 3 groups late in the preseason. I think the defenders benefit most from that.â€

Now that training was covered, we moved to the tactics.

“As I usually do every preseason I take a look at my players and get an initial idea of who will be a member of my “core 12†and who will be on the outside trying to get in. I talk with all my coaches. We watch tape of preseason games. I try and find the strengths of each player.

Back in ’05 I came upon the idea for a 4-1-3-2. With my 3 mids taking on attacking roles. As we were looking at just 21 on the roster and not trusting the guys in the 18-21 slots, we took the tempo down to just a few clicks above slow. With that, we also decided to reduce our width slightly and really focus on the counter, especially away. I tried to stay away from telling the players to constantly focus the passing up the middle or down the flanks. I even kept the passing style up to them. Short, long, direct, I didn’t care as long as the passes were being completed. I didn’t want to limit them if one style was not working. I pushed my d line back too. With the slow tempo, the narrow focus, and a deep line, it just invited teams to take that one extra step towards our goal. By the way, slow tempo does not mean a slow counter attack, they knew where to exploit the gaps.

A few managers threw the offside trap against me and it only hurt them as I calmed the strikers down and made sure they made their forward runs. Bryon Carmichael alone had… hell I don’t know. 20-25 breakaways? Keep in mind he was a usually a sub who saw maybe 30 minutes a game when he was used. It was just a shame that boy can’t put a shot on goal more than 41% of the time.

When we went away, we just pulled the MC back and made him and the 2 wingers slightly more defensive. The DMC became a “stopper†as if I was running a diamond back 4 (SW, DL, DR, Stop) on defense. He shadowed our biggest threat no matter where he was.â€

With my head swimming from all the facts, stats, and numbers that were presented to me it was clear Greg had found a winning formula. He said he did not reveal all, because he has to have a few tricks left up his sleeve when the time comes. He also understands that not many enjoy playing him anymore. Hopefully this will help some of the struggling sides.

fire.gif

Throw Gasoline on the Fire

After the diabolical performance at RFK stadium in the nations capital, the team has improved. The defense has tightened up and we're scoring goals. In the past 9 games our record has been 5 wins 2 draws and 2 defeats, and we've scored 12 goals and condeded only 5. The team morale and confidence did take a hit when we found out that Damani Ralph tore his thigh muscle. He's had surgery to correct this problem but is going to miss most of the season. This means that David Cota will have a chance to show what he can do.

Last Session's Results:

Fire 2-0 Metrostars

In the second half we scored from a well worked set piece between Amado Guevara and Kelly Gray. Then with about 10 minutes to go Hazurov popped up in the penalty area with an insurance goal before leaving with a chest injury a couple minutes later.

Fire 1-0 DC United

28720 spectators saw Amado Guevara's masterfully struck freekick in injury time leaving Rimando with no chance. We edged a fiercely contested game.

Fire 0-1 San Jose

Before halftime Sergio Galvan Rey put the vistors infront with their only chance of the match. Then in the second half Justin Mapp recieved a red card for 2 bookable offenses in 2 minutes. This cost us the match. However, even with 10 men we carved out more chances, I guess it wasn't our day.

New England 0-0 Fire

The was a boring 0-0 draw that saw both managers sitting back with defensive formations.

Fire 3-0 Columbus Crew

Brian West broke our offside trap but only managed to squander their best chance by blazing his shot over the bar. Then Jon Busch made an uncharacteristic mistake and gave us an early advantage. In the second half the Crew tried to get into the match but new signing David Limbersky carelessly gave the ball away to Shalrie Joseph and we quickly turned defense into attack. Cota and Mapp created a nice tic-tac passing move that Mapp clinically finished. Then we finished the scoring in the 90th minute with David Cota creating and finishing a brilliant strike that show cased why we was the first overall pick in last season's draft.

revs.gif

NEW ENGLAND ECSTATIC

For the first time this season, The New England Revolution find themselves sitting in 3rd place in the Eastern Conference and the fans are proud of their team. How long will they be in 3rd? Know one knows but for now it's a marked improvement from last season as they need just 1 more win to tie last season's win mark of 6, 16 games into the season.

The only concern right now is the amount of goals given up but even that isn't too much of a concern since through a span of about 3 or 4 games New England was without 7 starters due to the World Cup and injuries. The team is finally together for the most part now and they have won 2 in a row.

Jimmy Ventura still has some work to do in the offseason to get the team to begin fighting for a top playoff spot perennially but he has to be proud of the way his team is fighting and keeping games close. They are now 12 points ahead of the Metrostars and must keep up the pace in order to secure a playoff spot in Ventura's first full season as manager.

dc.gif

Back From Holiday and Ready To Take on the West

United manager had missed D.C.'s previous 7 matches due to personal matters and the team took a dive. Despite the United manager's preference of a 3-man backline, Assistant manager failed to continue this trend for the 7 game stint which saw United lose to Chicago and Kansas City, draw with Columbus and win against MetroStars and New England.

Upon coming back, United boss had to quickly rally up the troops for a series of matches against Western conference rivals. First match was at home against the struggling San Jose side that has been hurt by injuries, international call ups as well as bad attitude by some players. Having lost their spirit, San Jose crumbled against United as Jeremiah White filled in for the injured Piero Alva to score a hat trick. Sakaliev and Figueroa added goals to run out 5-0 winners on the day.

Away against FC Dallas, United faced a defensively composed side that just couldn't get much going up front. Mid second half strike by Jeremiah White put United away as they won their 4th consecutive match.

Back home again United hosted last year's champions Colorado. This time around, United were able to unlock the tight defense that Colorado plays using full pitch pressing to win the ball in the opponent's 1/3 after conceding a 3rd minute free kick from Fabian Estoyanoff to fall behind. Unable to counter effectively, Colorado fell down 3-1 with two first half goals by Jeremiah White and one from Carlos Fernando Figueroa. A goal in the second half complements of Dwight Pezzarossi gave Colorado hope, but it just wasn't meant to be for them today.

Next Western conference opponent was the struggling Los Angeles who have fallen far from their MLS cup winning performance two years ago. United once again dominated the match giving up very little in defense. Jeremiah White scored yet another winner as United headed home with a 1-0 win.

Facing conference rivals Chicago, United was once again on top of their game using crip passing moves to get past the Chicago formation. Jeremiah White scored the opener and Carlos Fernando Figueroa added another to his tally ad United extended their winning streak to 7 games, scoring 17 goals and conceding 2 in that span.

D.C. were also knocked out of the Champions cup during United manager's absence with a score of 4-0 on aggregate. "I think we could have done much better had I been able to manage the team, I don't hold any grudges against my assistants though. If they were able to manage a team single handedly, I am sure they would be offered a job elsewhere, but no one is knocking on our door for their services"

In his weekly press conference United boss revealed his delight regarding the team's win streak which propelled united 8 points clear of second place Chicago. "It has been a good team effort. Jeremiah has done a fantastic job for us scoring 8 goals in our last 5 matches. It gives me a little bit of sweet dilemma now with Piero coming back from injury."

"I would also like to comment on Ivan Robelto and Carlos Fernando Figueroa. Ivan has matured his game since his arrival at the beginning of last season and earned himself a new contract. Carlos has been the leader of our team for the last 3 years and he does a fantastic job of it, scoring goals as well as creating chances. We hope that he will stay with the club for many more years."

• SI Staff

quakes.gif

Slow Progress

SJ Gaffer Al Clark is running out of hair. "This team is the epitomy of frustration" he groaned after the latest round of matches.

(The website crashed and I can't be arsed re-typing that huge post).

"We've got three new players coming in soon, others are back from the World Cup and injury. We're about ready to compete...."

Archived