GQ Online 03/04 Update Thread

Franco

Burnley survive the drop

Burnley have managed to finish narrowly above the relegation zone in Division 1, and they lived to fight another day after finishing 21st, and two points above the danger zone.

Burnley ended the season on a fairly good note, with Millwall loan signing Serge Makofo proving a key part of Burnley's survival in the second half of the season. That loan deal was ended at the end of the season, but it is expected that the Clarets will attempt to loan Makofo for the 2004/05 season as well.

Now that midfielder Luke Chadwick's loan deal has also ended, Burnley may need a new midfielder on a temporary or permament basis before the season starts, and manager Joe Finnigan has confirmed that he will attempt to sign a couple of players in the pre-season period even though his club has no money available for him to use.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Crewes preseason

As the new manager of the Crewe, the first think i noticed in preseaon is the lack of talent. besides Ashton and Lunt, all i had were promising youngsters and some decent vets. My preference is to sign bosmans and tranfers player capable of playing in 1 division higher than the one im in. unfortunatly all i could muster was a goalie. there are some young foriegn talent im looking to plunder, but it seems my 1 million transfer budget wont be enough. the board and fans want me to battle to stay in the 1st division, but i have a feeling i will be comfortable safe from that.

After the initial downer i had from looking at my squad for the first time, i thought watching the cheerleaders practice would liven me up. to my shock and horror i learnt that Crewe doesnt have and cheerleaders. i mean what are the drunken fans going to watch durring the games we get killed in?!

I tried to loan a few players, but they all wanted nothing to do with the crewe. there are still a few thinking it over, but im not holding my breath hoping for them to join my squad. the first game of the season vs Burnly turned out to be quiet a suprise for me as we creamed burnly 5-0! now i have to figure out how it happened so we might do it again.

What i need is a good AMC, or a MR and have Lunt play whichever position i dont fill. Cochran did play a good first game at MC with 2 goals and 3 assist ( 10 rating) but hes still isnt good enough to be my everyday AMC. as for my defence, its hard to tell cause half were out with injuries in the first game, none of them seem bad, but any replacements are a priority this coming bosman season. Now comes the strikers. i have Dean Ashton and 5 bums. Ashton is a good Div 1 striker, but it is obvious that i need help here badly.

To summerize, i need team speed. its the halmark of my teams, always has been, always will be. and my current squad is marginal at best. must find a loaner AMC and striker or this will be a long and painfull season made worse without and cheerleaders to watch during games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I joined the online game after about 12 games where already played. First

I had to choose a club, not that many where available at this stage of the

game and most of them in the lower part of the table. But that was what

I expected anyway.

I choose Ipswich because this is one of the few English clubs I never managed

in my over 10 years of expierence with CM. And I didnt no anything about

this town, but now as I lived several month here, I am proud to say: I'm

from Switzerland, and I survived. You know anything about Ipswich? Like

that:

IPSWICH is in the heart of East Anglia and the heart of Europe. It is

the regional centre for business, shopping, sport and entertainment. Ipswich

is home to IP-City and is one pole of the Cambridge/Ipswich Hi-Tech Corridor.

It is proud of its 800-year Royal Charter and its long maritime tradition

and also possesses a magnificent heritage and fine parks.

Okay, thats from their website, but we do not want to know about the Hi-Tech

Corridor in the heart of Europe (strange position for a heart anyway...),

all we care is Ipswich Town.

http://www.itfc.premiumtv.co.uk

but thats the reality, and we are talking about a game, which is way more

important, than Elton John playing in a football stadium.

I took over Ipwsich as manager as it was clear, this team has just one goal:

to avoid relegation. I found an interesting mix between some youngsters

(who didnt play first team) and some old farts, who playing all the time,

even if their stats would suggest to move them to a retirement home for

footballers and Elton Johns.

Normally I do a lot of research when I come in charge of a new club. Means:

Reading stats, stats, stats and making some conclusion. But there is no

time when you play together with some youngsters with no patience and I

am the old fart who thinks he is to old to rock'n'roll but too young to

Elton John. So I designed a tactic and played the first 3 games, very defensivly.

I lost 0-1 two times and got an 0-0 as the best result. And I had a red

card in every game. Therefore I named a old bottle Marc Vaughan and throw

and old football against it and smiled. But it took not that long for the

new patch and since than I had'nt any red cards again, so I can gathering

old bottles for the next release of the game.

I tried to make some transfers, but as everyone could imagine, all the good

players were already bought, so I got some young players like Dougie Ramsay

and Christian Fox and some olds like Robbie Winters. The best transfer I

did was Mikele Leigertwood from Wimbledon, a promising defender. Also very

important was the loan in Jonathan Blondel from Tottenham and Clyton Zane

from Antwerp.

I played a custom made 4-4-2 in a defensive and an attacking way and as

the game goes further I could become shure that I can compete with the teams

in the bottom part of the table, but not with the big shots.

I missed two sessions and in this two sessions Ipswich dropped to the 22th

place. And not that many games to play. But in the last 10 games I managed

a 4 win, 2 draw, 4 loose record and this was enough for becoming 20th.

I decided to stay with Ipswich, as they are satisfied with my managerial

performance, but I am sure they want a saved mid table place in the next

season. I hope some of my young players will become valuable members of

the first team. I hope also that Bosman transfer Taribo West will be a rock

in my defense and Leigertwood will stay, even if some newly promoted Premiership

clubs have already throw an eye on him. (ever seen a one-eye monkey, by

the way?)

I am looking forward into the new season, this online game rocks and I think

my Ipswich squad has enough potential to become a surprising team next

season. If not - there will be other teams, begging to become managed by

a Swiss, for sure. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GQ%20Logo1[1)[1).jpg

As the last people filtered through the turnstiles on their way home, it was slowly sinking in. It was all over. 2003/04 season had come to an end. We had witnessed winners and we had witnessed loosers. Everyone had a story to tell. Some had a story of triumph and others, misery or heartache over what might have been. Everyone knew their place. They were firmly placed in the pecking order for the new season. A new season which I might add that was only just around the corner. So, how did it end? Who were these winners and loosers you ask?

How did our galant troopers fare? Well It has to be said, it was a mixed bag of fortune and blunder for the clan they call GQCM Online.

English Nationwide Division One

Bank Of Scotland Scottish Premier Division

Mixed Fortunes all round. From the subline, worthy of a proverbial pat on the back, to the shocking, head in hands moments.

Of course this is only the first chapter in a tale yet to have its story told, even with the ink still drying on the page before everyone knew it was time to move on. and onwards was where this merry band would go.

From its early beginnings to its present state its not always been a smoothe ride for thise lucky enough to be amoungst the select few. Indeed right from the off there were issues, issues which threatened the future of the clan. Yet we made it to June never the less. All geared up to do it all again.

So who are the faces that lined up Tuesday 10th Fevruary 2004for season 2 preparation?.

Dez Wilkins (aka DezMW)

Clan host and co-organiser. Currently managing Nottingham Forest. Wilkins led his Forest side to the First Division title, despite stiff opposition. Shrewd in the transfer market, never too keen to give any secrets away. He will have to proove last season wasn't a fluke and that he really can cut it with the big boys in the Premiership this season, otherwise egg will be on his face.

JediMonkey

Co-organiser of the Clan and currently in charge of Millwall. final position last season: 2nd. Clinched the other automatic promotion spot, but only after a nail biting last day of the season when lady luck shone and results went his way. With an eye for a bargain and wheeling and dealing skills 2nd to none, he has made several new signings that should stand him in good shape for the assault on the Premiership this season.

Jonathan Bentley (aka jonoJB)

Currently manager of Norwich. Relying heavily on his assistant manager for much of the season icon_wink.gif who knows what the season may have been like if he'd taken a more hands-on role in proceedings as as early signs were that the Cannaries would be a force to be reckoned with. Taking the risky route through the playoffs it paid off for Jono who finds himself the 3rd promoted side and in the Premiership too.

Rob Stone (aka RedRob)

Current manager of Wimbledon. Early season pace setter who swept all before him. That was until the turn of the year when it all fell to pieces. Faced with watching his best stars being taken from under his nose as administration took its toll. Their fall from grace was dramatic. 10 point leader at one point this gap was soon reduced and overtaken, then started to disappear into the disstance. A playoff finalist and Semi finalist in the FA Cup not enough for a team banking on promotion for salvation. Hopefully the new season will bring more cheer to Milton Keynes. Rob remains optimistic.

Mike Carnie (aka Chilliconcarnie)

Cardiff City Boss. Spent much of the season in the top half of the table, not threatening to break into the leader pack though. A terrific last third of the season changed all that and Cardiff, under Carnie's stewardship climbed into the playoff positions. The dream for promotion was cut short in the play off semi's however. loosing out to eventual winners, Norwich. Inactivity in the transfer market has prooved a slight concern. If City are to go one better in the coming season they may have to add to their squad more than the 2 loan signings brought in so far.

Ossi Saarinen (aka No TV for Me)

Home for this Fin, Preston North End. Current successes have not been in the league. Instead PNE found their home in the prestigious FA cup. Going all the way to the final. An accolade that has rewarded Saarinen with a place in the coming season's UEFA cup. Sadly they will be competing in Europe from the realms of the first division. Finishing an average 10th place the Fin was left wondering how he could recreate his sides cup form in the league. Extra cash from the European competition may help Preston build into a side that can push for promotion, so this season they could turn out to be someone to watch.

John Cropper (aka "Ziggy" Zigson)

Currently residing in the Red half of Sheffield. Joining the Blades midway through the season as replacement for the retired Franco Cataldo. Ziggy was unable to improve greatly on his predecessors achievements. Instead cementing their place in lower mid table. Zigson has quickly gained himself a rep of being somewhat of the Cheque book manager mould. Numerous incoming and outcoming deals have been struck in the close season and Sheffield United's team has changed drastically. For the better? for his sake, lets hope so.

KUBI

Ipswich manager and resident MAC user in the clan. His arrival in the clan was delayed for this reason. The season never seemed to take off for the Tractor Boys. able to mix it with some of the title contenders but also seen to struggle against the lesser teams. As a result their safety in the division wasn't confirmed until the last day of the season. Things look a bit brighter for Town and their Swiss manager for the coming season. A repeat performance will not be tolerated by manager or board I am sure you will agree.

Joe Finnigan (aka Who????)

Youngest manager in the Clan and faced with the task of keeping Burnley up. That was achieved but only by the skin of their teeth. Spending much of the season in the bottom three can't have been fun, but the reward for salvaging first division status for another year must have been all the more sweeter for this very same reason.

Rich Stevens II (aka Low_flying_Seagull)

Watford boss and first clan member to face the +1 humiliation after being given his cards earlier in the season by an unimpressed WBA chairman. Charged with turning fortunes around at Watford was not going to be an easy task, a task that was just out of reach from Rich's grasp. As a result of finishing 3rd from bottom, Watford find themselves starting the new season in the Second Division. Hopefully they will bounce back in this rebuilding period.

Anthony Dnachie (aka Stan Petrov)

Celtic through and through. Currently the only clan member residing in the SPL due to the demise of his fellow country based coaches due to one reason or another. SPL winners and focusing on improving fortunes on an impressive CL quarter final placing last season. Despite encouragment he is not tempted to join the ranks in England just yet. Maybe one day, if the right opportunity comes along, but till then he remains alone north of the boarder.

So we have met the existing managers and learnt of their ups and downs in the season just completed. But what of the future??? Well GQCM Online is pleased to announce that the new season also beckons in some new faces. These newly enroled clan members will hopefully bring a fresh approach to the clan as well as boost the competition between the co-conspiritors. Not much is known about these recent additions to the clan yet, but all seem to have settled in well and compliment the existing members personalities well so far. Here they are:-

specialk - West Ham

bulletsponge - Crewe Alexandra

Jan_Sorensan - W.B.A

ChaosCommand - Bradford City

Shaun_Kelly - Sunderland

Still unproven, but hell, everyone was once. Early signs are promising. These newcomers are adding, to the already multinational make-up of the clan, a Dane and 2 Americans to a collection that already contains a Swiss and a Fin as well as a Scot and several customary Englishmen. A truely Global clan that is embarking on season 04/05 in the coming weeks.

All that remains to be said is LET BATTLE COMMENCE.

End of Season Report - Sheffield United

The Blades season was realistically over long before the final day, and no one was suprised to see them finish exactly where they had spend most of the campaign - 16th.

Unable to put together a sequence of results, pundits and rival managers have been largely unimpressed by Zigson's early tenure at Bramall Lane. A narrow win at the Priestfield, a daylight robbery at Portman Road including two red cards, a win, a loss, a win,a loss.

"It's football" Zigson grumbled into his thermos mug of Bovril. "One minute your down, the next you're up". Philosophical musings such as these have failed to endear him to the Sheffield United faithful, and expectations for the new season are fittingly low.

"We just want to see t'boss build the squad a bit, get some young 'uns in" said one rotund supporter. "We won't win owt".

Preseason Build Up - Sheffield United

Against a backdrop of relegation worries, financial hardship, and a team built by football's answer to Erich von Falkenhayn, it's not been an enjoyable Summer.

All the more surprising, then, that United have stormed through their friendlies, rebuilt the squad with a host of well known players, and secured the club's financial future.

New faces at the club include ex-England internationals David Seaman and Chris Powell, Moroccan legend and world class midfielder Mustapha Hadji, England u21 Simon Johnson, Italy u21 Valerio Di Cesare, and two of the fastest English forwards of recent times, Darren Huckerby and Julian Joachim.

Other new faces include Mike Flynn, Tavlaridis, Paul Gerrard and Seb Svard.

"I feel like I've bought a job lot from a car boot sale. I don't recognise half of 'em, but I'm sure I saw a few good ones in there" drunged Ziggy Zigson, the club's anti-hero manager.

With no money spent at all, Zigson has started to show signs of producing a football team. What is more, the thread of administration has been assuaged by the exit of Michael Tonge for £1.6m to Man City.

"I didn't know anything about that. I got back from holiday to find him gone. I was gutted at first, but when the cheque cleared, we all went and had a good game of darts".

With their first win of the season, a 1-0 home defeat of Wimbledon things are finally starting to fall into place. The manner of the victory can be questioned, but with just 10 players for most of the game, there is some cause for optimism.

"I wouldn't know about that" said the club's diapasonically monikered Chairman, Derek Dooley. "Where there's muck there's brass".

WBA - new manager impresses in the league

The start of my 1div campaign and quest for the title couldnt have had a better start.

WBA-Biringham 2-0

A great win against a strong team and local/division rivals, fully deserved and the fans must have loved it. Goals from Koumas and Sean Gregan.

WBA-Crystal Palace 1-0

A narrow win, that should have been bigger, but 3 points it what counts. Goal from Burgess. Koumas missed 3 clear runs at goal, but the manager decided to give him another chance in the next match.

Sheffield Wednesday - WBA 0-7

Confident performance and well deserved win.

Goals from Koumas 2, Dobie 1, Burgess 2, Roberts 1 and og 1. Koumas showed that he can still find the net, and that he should be first choice for that ACM position.

Wimbledon - WBA 0-2

A strange match were both AI managers went on holiday just before the match, i made i back to the stadium though to watch 2 brilliant goals from Dobie, and my assitent did well in my absence.

So 4 wins out of 4 and 0 goals against, George Graham would have been proud, the many strong defensive players in my squad shows their value to the team. Unfortunately other of the human managers have made good start to the season aswell, so i am only 3rd in spite my 100% record.

The league cup though were a huge dissapointment, fielding some reserves wasnt a good decision, and i was punished. Bristol C - WBA 2-1.

Left back is sorted now as i bought in a loan player to cover for that position. Although interest is being shown from the premiership in my 1st choice left back Robinson, i might have to sell, leaving my squad short in that position.

The issue on the transfer market is still a target striker, Elliot now with Preston is the main target, but negotiations are though, so i might have to look elsewhere.

Fans are still not to confident with their new inexperienced manager, but i hope i can gain their trust in the future.

Start of Season Report – Sunderland AFC

Transfers In

Sam Parkin – Swindon – £250k

Danny Pugh - Free

Matthew Williams - Free

Rami Shaaban - Free

David Jones - Free

Éderson – RS Futebol – £40k

Transfers Out

Michael Reddy – Free

Marcus Stewart – Wigan – £14k

Gerard Rowe – Free

George McCartney – Man City – £1.2m

Michael Ingham – Wimbledon – £0

Saturday 14th August 2004

Q.P.R. 0-4 Sunderland – Nationwide Division 1

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> McCartney 2

Parkin 8

Piper 12

Éderson 90</pre>

First game of the season, and the Black Cats got off to a real flyer. George McCartney opened the deadlock with a well placed 2nd minute free kick from the edge of the box that went hurtling past Rangers’ ‘keeper Colin Stewart. Five minutes later, Julio Arca played a tremendous pass down the left wing for Michael Proctor to get on the end of. Proctor then turned Denis Irwin and slotted a through ball into the centre for new striker Sam Parkin to score on his debut. In the 10th minute Julio Arca again played a long ball down the left wing for Danny Pugh to swing in what seemed a miss-hit cross, but when Clarke Carlisle’s attempts to clear failed, Matthew Piper was on hand to unleash a vicious shot on goal which Stewart was never going to reach. After only Eleven minutes, Sunderland had the match in the bag and could take their foot off the pedal for the remainder. In the dying minutes of the game, Colin Healy lofted a through ball to Piper, who nodded it down to Éderson, who in turn managed to get off a shot, which Stewart managed to parry, but the rebound again fell to Éderson just ahead of the defender who smashed the ball into a virtually open net to pick up his first goal for the club in his debut. That goal proved to be the last touch of the game, and the referee brought proceedings to an end with the score reading 4-0 to Sunderland in Shaun Kelly’s first game of his career.

Wednesday 18th August 2004

Sunderland 8-0 Port Vale - League Cup 1st Round

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Arca - 9

Proctor - 12

Pugh - 20

Piper - 28

Proctor - 32

Healy - 38

Piper - 52

Éderson -54</pre>

This was manager Shaun Kelly’s first cup game in charge of Sunderland, and boy was it a biggy. The action started right from the word go, and the first goal came in the 9th minute when Éderson’s failed corner landed the ball at the edge of the box with Julio Arca, who then played a cool 1-2 pass with Éderson before striking a smashing effort from distance. The fans weren’t made to wait long for the second goal, and on the 12th minute Danny Pugh’s amazing cross field ball landed Proctor through on goal with plenty of time and space, however his first effort was saved by ‘keeper Dean Delaney but fortunately for him, the ball landed at the strikers feet again for a comfortable finish. On the 20th minute, Éderson was again in the middle of the action, with a nice cross in from the corner which Breen headed down at goal but the keeper saved again and parried the ball into the path of Danny Pugh, for his first for the club. Only seven minutes later, Matthew Piper hit a free kick into the box from deep in the right wing, but after a number of failed clearances, the ball finally rolled back to him, just outside the box and he took a perfect opportunity to get his name on the scoresheet. The next goal came in the 32nd minute, as full back Stephen Wright whipped a through ball to Piper on the wing, who’s inch perfect cross was finished by the head of Michael Proctor. In the 38th minute, Éderson’s 6th corner was played right onto the head of Colin Healy at the back post, who had no trouble at all converting it. Half time, and the score was 6-0 to Sunderland who didn’t need to put much effort into the second half, five minutes in Pugh hit a corner for Piper to smash into the net and then just two minutes after that, man of the moment Éderson got his goal when Serge Makofo played a lovely lobbed through ball for Éderson to latch onto, and smash into the far-top corner. A truly magnificent performance by Sunderland, who never really needed to leave 1st gear.

Saturday 21st August 2004

Wigan 3-5 Sunderland – Nationwide Division 1

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Parkin 6

Smith (inj) 24

Piper 28

Makofo 49

Ellington 51

Horsfield 70

Ellington 74

Éderson 85

Makofo 89</pre>

After what proved to be an astonishing win at home to Port Vale in the League Cup, both the players and supporters of Sunderland AFC were hoping for big things, and they weren’t let down. Just 6 minutes into their second league game of the season, and Sunderland were already ahead. Éderson’s incisive pass to Djordjic on the left wing started a move that led to a great through ball by Djordjic to Parkin, who ran with the ball just into the box before unleashing a powerful strike into the top corner of the net, past ‘keeper Mark Brown. In the 28th minute, a calm through ball by Arca for Djordjic to latch onto sparked the move for the second goal. Djordjic, again layed Parkin off, who was forced to cross, Piper caught onto the ball, and struck it through the crowd of players in the box and past the ‘keeper. In the 49th minute, Piper played a pin-point through ball into Makofo who beat the last defender and smashed the ball into the back of the net. Ellington replied two minutes later with what seemed like a consolation goal for Wigan, but then in the 70th minute when Horsfield scored another for Wigan, things looked different and the Sunderland defence had seemingly gone to sleep as Ellington struck the equalizer on the 74th minute. The game had slipped through Shaun Kelly’s fingers and all hope was lost. Until Éderson that is. McCartney gathered the ball right at the back of the left wing, and hit an astonishing ball forward, right into the path of Éderson who took a number of touches to control the ball before beating the ‘keeper and seemingly sealing the win for Shaun Kelly’s Black Cats. The match wasn’t over there, however, and Éderson’s long ball to the right wing which Matthew Piper latched onto and with all the space in the world, managed to bring the ball into the middle before striking the ball straight at the ‘keeper who could only parry, but Makofo was there to score his second for the club. Another eight goal thriller for the Black Cats, and the future certainly looked exciting for the Sunderland fans.

Wednesday 25th August 2004

Sunderland 6-1 Bristol City – Nationwide Division 1

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Breen 4

Éderson 9

Smith 30

Parkin 32

Bart Williams 55

Parkin 88

Proctor 89</pre>

The Black Cats were riding high, and this was another fantabulous win for them, as they trounced division new boys Bristol City 6-1. The first came after only four minutes, when a Djordjic corner was nodded in by Gary Breen. Éderson got the second after nine minutes when a Piper diving header from Sam Parkin’s cross was saved, leaving Éderson with an open net. The third came after Matthew Piper intercepted a pass at the back, and was able to free Tommy Smith who smashed the ball into the back of the Bristol net. Colin Healy’s astonishing pass from the half way line all the way up to Parkin, created the fourth goal, as Parkin placed the ball round the ‘keeper on the 32nd minute. On the 55th minute, Mart Poom was forced into a diving save from a Foley-Sheridan strike, but could only push it clear, and Bart-Williams beat all the defenders to the ball to hit it into an open net. After 88 minutes, Djordjic played a great ball to Éderson who couldn’t manage to finish, but luckily the ball fell to Parkin who placed it round the ‘keeper. After a failed clearance only moments later, Djordjic managed to cut the defence in two with an incisive pass to Proctor who finished the game off, and sent Bristol packing.

Saturday 28th August 2004

Sunderland 2-3 Cardiff – Nationwide Division 1

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Lee 4

Kavanagh pen 9

Proctor 46

Lee 61

Éderson 88</pre>

The first defeat of Shaun Kelly’s career also brought the most exciting game of football of the new season. Although ultimately Sunderland took nothing but a learning lesson from the game, they cannot be faulted for the performance their players put out. Almost straight away, poor marking from Gary Breen and a great show of vision from Jason Bowen led to Alan Lee finding himself one on one with the keeper with acres of space all around him, he took a few good touches and managed to bend the ball around Mart Poom. Five minutes later, after a cool cross into the box, Gary Breen was adjudged to have tripped Alan Lee, and Referee Mick O’Sullivan gave a penalty, up stepped Graham Kavanagh who converted, whilst Mart Poom couldn’t even get close. Straight from kick-off for the second half Sunderland seemed desperate for a goal back, and they got one after Julio Arca’s intuitive ball forward to Proctor who only had Neil Alexander to beat, and he did with finesse. At 2-1, the game could’ve gone either way, Cardiff had started on top and dominated the majority of the second half but Sunderland had been pushing for an equalizer all second half. It wasn’t to be. Chris Barker’s pass forward accompanied by Jason Bowen’s volleyed through ball to Alan Lee created a fine team goal for Cardiff, when Alan Lee just smashed the ball past Black Cats ‘keeper Mart Poom to get his second of the game. In the dying moments, Julio Arca and Éderson created what can only be described as a contender for Goal of the Month. Another long ball forward was met by a fiery volley by Éderson, who smashed the net from outside of the area. A fine goal by the Black Cats, but it was too little, too late. Cardiff ran out deserved 3-2 winners after a game that was well worth every penny for the ticket.

Summary :- Éderson has been an amazing player, and could prove to be one of the most significant players of the season, he has already hit 5 goals and 3 assists in 4(1) appearances for the club, averaging 9.00 and picking up two MoM awards on his way. An exciting season lies before the Sunderland team, if they pick themselves up after their first set back and go for it full steam ahead.

[This message was edited by Shaun_Kelly on 14 February 2004 at 19:03.]

[This message was edited by Shaun_Kelly on 14 February 2004 at 19:04.]

Forest%20logo%20final.GIF

Have Forest got the goods?

The English football league's have seen quite a frenzied preseason before the big kick-off in August. Many coming and goings in the transfer market. A few new faces have been brought into the newly promoted Nottingham Forest side. Lets have a look at who they are and get the opinions of the man who brought in these signings, Reds' boss, Dez Wilkins

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Richie Partridge (AMRL):

"Quick wide man that can be utilised on either flank. The Irishman should cause a few defences problems. Good dribbler of the ball, one that I hope will prove to be a real asset.(£1.3M compensation paid to Liverpool)

<LI>Christian Nerlinger (DMLC):

"A real coup for us to sign Christian, He's experienced at the highest level, having played for Bayern, Dortmund and, most recently, Rangers. Comes in to take the anchoring midfield role, but will also help give us a few more options going forward. Firstly a ball winner for the midfield but also has a nice range of passes that will hopefully help us unlock defences." (free transfer, unattached)

<LI>Carlos Arturo Marinelli (AMRLC):

"I'm full of admiration for the abilities that Carlos has, his time at 'Boro wasn't the happiest for him, but hopefully we can work well, honing the talent he has into a potent attacking threat.! (free transfer, unattached)

<LI> Robert Poulter (GK):

Robbie is a very promising keeper. Signed from Wednesday he's a product of their youth system and one for the future. As long as he is happy to wait for his chance, which I have no reason to believe he won't, I have every confidence that he will go on to be one of the best in the business." (£55K fee from Sheffield Wednesday)

<LI>Thomas Myhre (GK):

"Well this signing came out of necessity more than anything else. Injury to Dazza (Darren Ward). During the preseason tour. It became aparent that should he suffer a long term set back then we would struggle in that area of the team. Thomas was contacted and more than happy to sign for us. He has prooved himself in the early stages and currently keeps a now fit Ward on the bench." (free transfer, unattached)

So, five signings in and no departures from the squad thus far, with exception to the loan signings from last season who's deals had ended, has left the Forest squad looking in better shape for the new season. Going into the new season everyone was fairly optimistic that the side was equiped to give the Premiership's established sides a run for their money.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Preseason is over, preparations have been made. Its time. The plans have been made and the new players recruited, but when it came to 3pm the team was on its own. Now was the time for the Forest players to show that last season wasn't a fluke, an accident or a mistake. This side really did belong in the Premiership. How would they fair? As usual Forest Focus will be on hand to bring you a round up of all the action, incident and controversy in Manager Dez Wilkins' maiden Premiership voyage at the helm of the good ship Forest.

********21st August 2004********

Nottm Forest 0-0 Newcastle Utd

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Johnson inj 20

attendance: 30593

</pre>

Talk about a baptism of fire. Games won't come much tougher than the visit of the Toon Army to The City Ground. If our boys could equip themselves well today then a message would be sent to the rest of the league, "This team mean business." The gane didn't get off to the best of starts, with top marksman of last season, David Johnson Stretchered off injured after 20 minutes. The visitors took the game to us and came close on a number of occasions. It was a credit to debutant Myhre in goal that the score line remained goalless at the break. A slight change around at half time put us more in the match. Marlon Harewood had a great chance to open the scoring on 75 minutes. His run into the box wasn't picked up and the delivery from the left by Andy Reid found him. The header was a good one with firm contact on the ball made, but it was off target, drifting wide of the near post. Newcastle regained control again in the closing stages, again coming close on a number of occasions. They couldn't break the deadlock so the maiden voyage finished with Forest picking up a point.

Sad news for Forest fans followed that game with the revellation that Xrays on Johnson's leg had revealed it was broken. Johnson will miss 5 months at least while he recovers from a similar injury as suffered by Forest Defender, Michael Dawson towards the end of last season.

********25th August 2004********

Bolton W'd'rs 2-3 Nottm Forest

Djorkaeff 2 Invincible 26

Moukouri 86 Harewood 63

Radebe s/o 76 Westcarr 82

attendance: 26696

</pre>

First three points in the bag. What a delight that is. Bolton prooved to be a worth adversary in this five goal thriller. All three strikers that played bagged a goal for us. Craig Westcarr in particular had a great game. The teenager who earlier turned down a loan move to the cash-strapped Wimbledon outfit, scored the goal that prooved to be a winner eight minutes from time. An all round thrilling game that saw us edge out the home side. If we can win a few more of these tricky away ties then we should do ok. 4 points in the bag now and we've only played two games.

********28th August 2004********

Nottm Forest 2-3 Aston Villa

Westcarr 6 Vassell 43

Williams 52 Angel 45

Carew 81

attendance: 30567

</pre>

Another five goals for the Forest fans to witness, if nothing else this season, it seems our fans will witness some cracking games of football. Forest's first loss was recorded despite scoreing two goals. Craig Westcarr on target again with a rasping low drive after only 6 minutes. Scores were levelled and then turned on their head just before the half time interval. Vassell and Angel teaming up for both goals. Capitalising each time on some slack marking and poor defensive cover. Thomas Myhre, again in for the injured Ward, could do nothing but pick the ball out of the back of the net on both occasions. Captain for the afternoon, Gareth Williams levelled the scores up again, 7 minutes inside the 2nd half. It was a lovely move that saw Williams cap the move from a resulting corner, rising highest at the near post to head home. A share of the spoils was ripped away from the home side though by Villa new boy, John Carew 10 minutes from time. Varew picked up a clearance deep in the Forest half. He was wide on the left at the time, taking one touch to knock the ball inside. Striking the ball with venom from well outside the box. Myhre was again beaten and this saw the midlanders take all three points.

With August now behind us, and the season well on its way. Forest have themselves a win, a draw and a loss chalked up on the board. Sitting comfortably in 10th spot at the moment the first month has been a good one. Everyone at The Reds are confident that although much of the season may bring no joy, Come what the month of May there will be no side from Nottingham inside the bottom three.

Keep track of our boys progress, only here in your weekly Forest Focus

[This message was edited by DezMW on 14 February 2004 at 19:40.]

[This message was edited by DezMW on 14 February 2004 at 19:43.]

Fortunes Favour The Brave

Having spent the last week lying in a bunker for charity, manager of Mr Monkey was delighted to speak with us, his favourite magazine 'Bi-Annual Weekly'.

Rp:- Firstly, may I just say a big welcome and hello to you, I'm sure our readers would join me in saying that to almost anyone they meet.

Rp:- On to the questions, your 2nd season in charge of Millwall FC and first in the Premiership started two weeks back now, how do you feel your squad has settled into the big time.

Jm:- Well, I cant be too disappointed, or I would look sad, do I look sad sonny?

Rp:- My name isnt sonny, and no you dont look sad.

Jm:- Thats because I'm not, I just spent a week in a glorified ditch for a week, David Blaine eat your heart out. Who wouldnt be happy.

Rp:- Quite, how was that btw?

Jm:- Better than expected, cant really say much at the moment. FBI you understand.

Rp:- That would explain the handcuffs

Jm:- Not really

Rp:- O-K. First game of the season, playing the mighty Chelsea, all that firepower all that wealth, how did you manage to put in a credible performance and win 2-0?

Jm:- Because we have the strength, the pace, the skill, the quailty to win the premiership this season, my boys are the best I've ever seen. They moved, they glided, it was beautiful to watch. Like poetry in motion. Johannnnnsssson scoring on his debut after moving from Charlton was a wondrous thing to behold. Everybody played thier part, cant see why we cant become the new dominat force in the premiership based solely on that performance.

Rp:- Full of praise I see, but you surely werent happy after your second game, a 3-1 loss away to former champions Blackburn.

Jm:- Oh, I'm mad, mad at my players, worst in the world I tells ya, if I had the money, they would all be out the door. I've seen better players on my shoe...We are going down, hell, just send us to the Conference now.

Rp:- And what of your final game in August, the 0-0 draw with Southampton?

Jm:- Meh

Rp:- Care to clarify?

Jm:- Ok

Watford starting to hit form

After a very poor start to the season Watford have to started to hit form and are rising up the table. It has been a very hard pre-season for the club as they have had to try and cut down wages and sell off the main stars as well as building a squad that is strong enough to win the division.

After the first couple of games promotion looked very unlikely. There were very poor perfomances all round the pitch and the new signings were struggling to mould with the rest if the team. Danny Dichio who had been signed off W.B.A was looking the only promising player as he tried to run the front line on his own.

However after the League Cup defeat Watford have had 2 wins on the trot away to Grimsby and Rotheram who were both near the top. Not only have they won but completly outplayed them and scored 5 goals between the two games. This for many will be the turning pont in the season and a lot of pundits feel that promotion is a realistic aim.

There was some bad news for Watford fans after the victory against Rotheram that 2 players had been sold. Both Ashley Yong and Lee Cook who were important players for the team were sold for £100,000. Although this has helped the financial position of the club, they will both be missed on the pitch.

club_sheffunited.gif

Sheffield United Push On

During the month of August, Ziggy Zigson’s Sheffield United have continued to make steady if unspectacular progress.

The £200,000 capture of 17 year old prodigy Kasper Schmeichel has already excited the fans, and though his performances have so far been modest at best, it is yet another “one for the future†in the club’s ever burgeoning academy of football.

Next in were two loan signings, forwards Pablo Nino from Real Betis and David Fernandez from Glasgow Celtic, completing Zigson’s exciting midfield.

“That’s me done for the season†murmered the enigma that is Zigson. Though deeply unpopular at first, fans have come to dislike him slightly less over recent weeks.

Sheffield United 4 – 1 Grimsby

A league Cup triumph for United as a Darren Huckerby double-salvo launched them into the 2nd round. Hadji was again masterful in midfield.

Sheffield United 2 – 2 Wolves

A monster crowd of 25,000 saw their heroes come from behind in the final 20 minutes in a memorable display. Michael Brown was in defiant form;

“The boss has made it clear he wants me out. Those two goals are for the supporters and to show them that I don’t intend to go anywhereâ€.

“He’s a legend at the club and a highly valued individual†countered Ziggy. “Unless we sell himâ€.

As if as to serve as a reminder of the saleability of all at Brammal Lane, Michael Hughes was on his way to Raith Rovers by the end of that day.

Charlton 1 – 0 Sheffield United

In a hard fought game at newly relegated Charlton, United were reminded of the taste of defeat for the first time in some months. Kasper Schmeichel was, frankly, turdy.

Burnley 1 – 3 Sheffield United

A fantastic game at Turf Moor brought the United faithful to their feet for a standing ovation at the end. Taking the lead with a penalty in the 6th minute which was converted by Steve Kabba, the Blades were pegged back within 10 minutes by Burnley new-boy Cherno Samba. The away side began to worry when David Seaman left the field nursing a broken arm, to be replaced by Chris Morgan. Thumbing frantically through their programmes to find out who the hell this replacement was, United fans were dismayed to find that the chap between the sticks was a defender.

After a few minutes, he had got his gloves on the right hands and began to show everyone what you can do with a small helping of luck and a large portion of nandralone. Magallanes and Brown both claimed counter-attack chances to produce a result which left Joe Finnigan cursing his luck, and wishing he had toned down the “prepare for a repeat of last season remarks†prior to kick-off.

Football.

With 7 points from 4 games and a cup win to boot, not a bad August at all.

8th in t’table. “frame thissen and pull ont’galluses, there's nivver nowt but there's summat†etc.

WBA Continiue good form in the league...

We now hold the no 1 spot in the league, and the board is now pleased with my performance, well even the supportes is starting to like the way i manage the club. Only 1 defeat so far in the league and the rest wins, is very good, but there is still a looongggg way to go, and we still have to play my biggest rivals for the promotion, so the coming months will be the real test with some demanding fixtures just around the corner.

I am still looking for that striker who can bolster my attack, but several deals were cancelled due to work permit problems, but the search continiues, and when the Preston manager returns from holiday i will try 1 last offer for Elliot, who will fit perfect in my team.

Elliot not for sale!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

PNE manager Ossi Saarinen today issued a hands of warning to W.B.A. that their striker Stuart Elliot is not for sale. HE has just been brought to the team and Preston doesn't want to part company with the striker. In the press statement Saarinen said that Elliot is a important part of the first team. Saarinen also claimed that these mind games have no affect on the team and its' performance.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Veikkaaja

Crewe suprises everyone!

Especially thier own manager, who has been overheard muttering " my defence for a striker". After starting out 3-0 in the 1st div, they then hit a bump in the road going 1-2-2 in thier next five and getting bumped out of the League cup by Leeds (my personal arch nemisis).

Seeing that i needed help at striker, i naturally went out and bought the young defender Simon Francis. asked why bulletsponge made this transfer " what fool would sell a quality striker for less than a million? Francis will be a bargain in the long run". The Crewe then loaned out DMC Cees Keizer from Ajax to further streangthen their D.

The Crewes next 2 games went according to plan, beating sheffield W and Crystal Palace. Next came the big game against Jans WBA.

*** News Flash****

In what can only be considered a giant kick in the nuts, the Crewe fall pathetically to WBA 3-0 in Crewes backyard. getting outshot 18-1 and ran all over the field, Manager Bulletsponges Crewe were utterly humiliated. the only bright spots in the game were Kenny Lunt and Dean Ashton, who didnt play.

"thank god we didnt get involved in that poochscrew" quoted Kenny."yep, it reminded my of the French fighting the Germans in WW2, a one sided arse-kicking."

Manager Bulletsponge was overheard yelling that someone was going to get cut from the Squad after that performance, and when asked what he thought of the game, all he said was "it was a colossal cluster****. they better show me what they are made of next week or i'll sell em off and cut the rest!"

Next game at Reading. down 3-1 in the 60th minuet, BS switches to his secret gubg-ho attack formation and scores 3 goals in the last 30 to pull out an amazing victory. they follow that up with a win vs QPR then a loss at Bristol city.

My request was declined to Have a cheerleading squad. they feel i should focus on keeping my squad in the playoff picture.

"playoffs? after the way we played against WBA i think were far off from being a consistantly good team. mark my words Jan and WBA, i will have my revenge! all i need is a stiker, hmmm, i wonder if Stuart Elliot is available?"

WBA finally capture dream signing Elliot

The manager was happy last night, when his dream signing came through, Elliot were for sale afterall. Other managers couldnt believe their eyes, when jan "the man" sørensen sent Reo Coker + Dobie and 500k to preston in exchange for Elliot. After the failure of variuos exotic signings recommend by my danish and secret headscout mr Birk icon_biggrin.gif, Elliot was the only option. And getting him for 2 rotation players + 500k wasnt a bad deal after all. The manager of WBA is certain that he will become a fans favorit.

The good form continiued in the league until a humiliating defeat at home by main rivals Sheffield United, the sheffield manager pulled out enough tactical tricks to stun the home crowd and give WBA the 2nd defeat of the season. The defending in that game were so poor that the manager left the stadium 15 minutes from time in anger and went on a well deserved holiday. But afterall we are still 7 points clear and some of the demanding fixtures is now out of the way.

The supposed demanding fixtures included good wins over rivals West Ham and Crewe, epspecially the Crewe match was exellent and for a moment i felt like Arsene Wenger believing my team would never loose again. The crewe manager was seen screaming and shouting at his players, it didnt help though, Crewe was simply outclassed it was boys against men, if the mad man from texas wants the revenge he better leave the boys behind when Crewe travel to the hawthorns... icon_razz.gif

We also managed to win against a hard fighting Ipswich, who did everything they could to stop my looney midfielder Roberts, who is now being investigated by the FA for cheat play, there are rumours that he was seen making a forward run, the FA will now look through the recordings from the match to see if he commtitted this terrible crime in the match. If found guilty he might face a ban for several matches, and that would be a huge blow to my team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The supposed demanding fixtures included good wins over rivals West Ham and Crewe, epspecially the Crewe match was exellent and for a moment i felt like Arsene Wenger believing my team would never loose again. The crewe manager was seen screaming and shouting at his players, it didnt help though, Crewe was simply outclassed it was boys against men, if the mad man from texas wants the revenge he better leave the boys behind when Crewe travel to the hawthorns...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

5.gif

Wimbledon in trouble

The dons manager Rob Stone had unfortunately been sidelined for most of the 10 or so games of the season so far, and the dons assistant had taken charge.

Unfortunately for Stone, he returned to find his team languashing at the wrong end of the table, something which had to be put right.

He has promised the fans that he fully expects the team to reach at least the play offs this season, and has said that anything less than promotion will be a faliure on his part.

Many people see this as blind optimism, but Stone has assured everyone concerned with the club that he will do his upmost to ensure that premiership football will be in milton keynes next season.

PNE going quite well – Manager’s words

With couple of good wins in the hand Preston are looking strong fro the playoff spot. Home games are well but we have some trouble with away games. If we can sort this thing out, I’m sure glory will follow. I’m still not happy with my team and re-enforcements are expected but these things take time.

We scooped Dobie, Reo-Coker and 500k for Stuart Elliot. I think it was a very good deal. Elliot was 26 and I think we have fantastic prospect with in hands on Reo-Coker. Some more wheeling and dealing has to be done but as I already said nothing is expected to happen soon.

Our quest in the Europe still continues. Zimbru is the next one up and I think we could have a chance there. Eastern European teams are always very skilful and we have to play very hard.

The media has been spreading a rumour that that I’m getting extremely tired and I might have to let PNE go. I don’t want to comment on these rumours at the moment and I promise to give 120% for PNE.

Wimbledon's problems grow

17 games have passed so far this year, and for the dons the outlook is not good. After missing the majority of the clubs first 14 matches manager Stone was confident his return could spark the team into an upturn in fortune. This hope at first seemed very justified, as Wimbledon raced into a two goal lead against coventry, only too lose 3-2, and then go 1 up against title hopefuls Sunderland in the next game only too fall to a 3-1 loss.

Stone knew something was wrong and moved quickly to rectify this brining in Elvis Hammond, one of the Dons star performers the previous year with 21 goals, back for the rest of the season on loan as well as strong Liverpool defender John Ostemoor. These players would be vital to the Dons push away from the relegation places and up into the challenge for promotion that Stone had previously been so sure his charges would obtain.

John Ostemoor's capture was of immense importance due to star summer signings Alan Tate's controversial move to Sunderland only 6 games into his dons career. This move had infuriated Stone, who had slammed Sunderland managers Shaun Kelly integrity, and Tates loyalty.

Hammond, on the other hand, was only second choice to the signing of Supat from Dez's Forest, but he rejected the Dons and instead, for one reason or another, decided to spend the rest of the season at coventry.

But for Stone this was probably the best thing that could have happenned. He was instantly reminded of the immense effect that Elvis had upon his team when on his debut his two goals gave Wimbledon a brilliant win against high flying Crewe Alexander.

With the same core as the previous year, and a few new faces the Dons certainly have the ability to be challenging for the top places, and Stone remains as confident as ever.

WBA record breaking winning streak continiues

We are now on an amazing 9 games (club record) winning streak;

WBA - wolves 6-2

burnley - WBA 0-3

charlton - WBA 2-4

WBA - bradford 2-1

derby - WBA 0-5

WBA - stoke 1-0

coventry - WBA 1-5

WBA - sunderland 5-3

walsall - WBA 0-5

The board and fans are delighted, with the performance from unknown manager Jan "the man" Sørensen. A playoff spot must be secure now and it is looking good for direct promotion with main rivals West Ham and Sheffield United dropping a few points last night and the gap from 1st to 3rd is now 11 points. But we are only half way through the season so a lot can still happen, but confidence is higher than ever.

Record signing Elliot has really started to prove his value to the team, with + 10 goals and assists so far.

And with Roberts returning from injury the situation upfront looks quit good, but we are still looking to bring in a another striker as 3 might not be enough if injuries occur. Negotiations has started with Armstrong from ipswich, who would be a decent back up player.

Crewes fasttrack to mediocrity

After being in a playoff ;position all year, the crewe slowly start moving down the playoff picture. by midseason we were stuck in the 6th and final playoff slot. my defence was attrocious and offence sporatic.

Then the Big game against Sunderland at home proved to be a turning point in the season. early in the game, Shauns boys conspired to end the Crewes season and Broke Ashtons right leg to put him out for the season.

after the catastrophy of Ashtons injury the crewe then ran up an impressive 5 straight losses and the droped all the way down to 11th place. a few games latter, Parkinson, a much needed loaner from sheffied united, fracturd his skull and was out for 6 months.

With a pathetic run of events and major injuries, the Crewes season looks to be limping along, and the Manager openly said he thinks the Crewe might not win another game all year.

Wimbledon madnesss continues!

Nothing with Wimbledon under the stewardship of Stone has ever been easy - from conceding a 14 lead at the top of the table to eventually finish 3rd on the final day, to spending 28 league games in Stone’s second season in charge with a meager 4 wins. One thing is for sure, if they set about doing something they do it in spectacular style.The previous months events however must have had even the most hardcore of Dons fans in total and utter shock.

Going to Bradford on the back of board room unrest at his declaration of interest in the Wolves job Stone was a man under stress. His team were 8 points way from safety and hadn’t won in the league for far too long. A drop into division two seemed a certainty, and when two Faustino Asprilla goals sent Bradford fans away happy the writing was the on the wall. Stone had tried his best and was at a loss to explain why his team were performing so badly, but he had become upset with his own inability to pull them away from the drop and felt he owed it to the fans, the team, and to himself to resign. Now 9 points adrift from safety, manager less, and with a only 4 wins so far the situation seemed hopeless for the Dons.

Stone had done his best and was proud of his first season, but could see the team was in need of fresh ideas if they were to beat the drop that would destroy them. The board of Wimbledon however were quick to disagree with Stone and begged him to return. No-one had expected this and within a couple of days of soul searching Stone was back revitalized ready to save the team he had grown strong feelings toward. He had a new determination and was as determined as ever to make his second stint in charge a successful one. In one season the team had gone full circle and now would need an opposite performance of the end of season run in which had cost them so dear the previous season.

What followed this amazing U-turn by both the Dons board and Stone himself has been nothing short of remarkable.

All four of his first games were against the bottom five teams in the league and so wins would be paramount for survival. Even Stone, a die-hard optimist, must have been amazed by what followed as four consecutive victories lifted the Dons out of the relegation zone, doubling the teams win tally along the way!

Whilst the Dons are by no means clear from danger what had seemed like an irretrievable situation was now looking promising whilst we can be sure there are a few more twists and turns in their season yet!

Donnachie touted for return

Former Celtic manager Anthony Donnachie is in line to make a shock return to management,despite being in a coma(lol) for almost all of the season.Donnachie was flying high with celtic,and was undoubtedly Britain's hottest new manager,when a car with the reggy plate MW 4EVA,knocked him down.

Celtic let him go,to their dismay, and got on with life,but the fans want their man back.He is also being lined up by a string of poorly performing premiership teams as their saviour,but he says nothings concrete.

ps.any information on the Joyrider,phone strathclyde polis immediately icon_biggrin.gif

Champions, Champions.....

Yes WBA are the champions, manager Jan "the man" Sørensen, could not believe his eyes when promotion and the division title was secured well before the end of the season. Instead of a nail biting finish, we can now concentrate on strengthen the squad for next season and life in the Premiership.

We have passed the 100 point mark in the league and is currently on a 15 games "no loosing" streak with 14 wins and 1 draw, 3 of my players are the top of the topscorer list in the league, Koumas, Roberts and Elliot. Yes Elliot (the grazy signing) has proven he was worth every penny, and with +20 goal and assists and 8.14 avr rating he should be in strong contention for player of the year.

WBA have already secured the signing of some good players for the next season, and i would say the squad will be strong enough to stay up, and with some luck we can compete for a place in europe next season.

Jason Koumas another star player in the WBA squad might leave the club, after he rejected the latest contract offer. And i might decide to cash in on the player before his contract expires, and i have several players already lined up to take his position in the team. So far non of the PL clubs has shown interest in him, but he is likely to leave the club before next season.

*****Clan Announcement******

Important please read

season ending

As you are all no doubt aware the end of the season is nigh upon us and in an effort to get it finished in one session I would like to propose a revised shedule for tommorow, Game will be up from 7pm with an aim of starting chugging pretty much straight away. There will be a majority vote ruling on this. If I get enough aye's then this will happen. If majority object then it will be 7.30 start.

Also if all (and this does mean all) managers occupying a play off spot at the end of the season (if we get there) are able to stay on to do the play offs then we will play over to get them out of the way. If you do not attend tommorows session and we do get to the playoffs, your absence will not be considered in the vote to play the play offs or note. Note, only managers present for the session votes count.

The dreaded debate returns

Following a descussion at the end of last night's session amoungst several of the members and myself. From next season onwards, it has been decided a new ruling will be introduced banning the use of the "looney midfielder" that is the forward running arrow from the MC to SC position. MC-> AMC and AMC -> SC arrows will still be permissable as will any of the other forward (or indeed backwards) arrows you may wish to introduce. This is hoped that it will bring more balance into the game and make the contest more interesting and competitive.

I know this is a complete U-turn on what I have said all along, but seeing Wimbledon put 6 past Sunderland last night was just one stupid result too far. icon_wink.gif

I will email this to all members in the hope that you will all see it before tomorrows session, please post comments/berrate me for these suggestions...

Hi

I can't sign into MSN today. This is from their website:

Sign In

The .NET Messenger Service is temporarily experiencing difficulty. You may be unable to sign in. Please try again later.

Last Update: 18/03/2004 10:13:00 Pacific Time (GMT -8:00)

So I guess this may be a generic problem at the moment.

From the UEFA Cup to the Premiership

Usually it’s the other way round. Team first gets to the Premiership, battles few years against relegation and then wins a cup or manages to achieve a spot in the top 6. Preston North End didn’t follow the usual pattern. They were runner’s up in last years FA Cup and achieved a spot in the Europe competition. The run lasted to the Fourth round where Parma was too strong, but still not bad for a Fist Division club.

“It was amazing. First we played against Eastern European teams and we learnt so much from them. Keep the ball down, focus on the technical part and use speed. Then we beat Stuttgart and that was like from a fairy tale. We got so much self-confidence from that much. After that we knew promotion is in our hands. Parma was too good for us but the lads worked their ass of there. Big hand to the team.â€, says Preston manager Ossi Saarinen.

The season started slowly for Preston but they finished it with a high note. Preston’s form was very good the last 3 months of the season and there were no place for slip ups. It all worked out in the final round of the First Division. Preston needed the win, and Sheff Utd and Sunderland had to lose their matches.

“We had a home game against just relegated Burnley. It wasn’t an easy game and Burnley fought hard. We had the quality and the strength so 3-0 was deserved result. I didn’t even know the scores from the other games, but soon after our game ended we heard the good news. Sunderland and Sheff Utd lost and we were going up. The stadium exploded. The noise was unbelievable and the singing. This was maybe the touching moment in my life. The players were running around the field and thanking the supporters. I have always dreamed about this kind of things and now it’s true.â€, Saarinen explains the feelings after the game.

The Premiership is a new challenge for Preston. With the TV money, Preston’s finances are sorted and the team building can start. “We need new players, we need quality and some experience. I’m sticking with the guys that got the team up but we have to get some new players also. Relegation is not an option for us next season. We are aiming for a mid table position. My goal is to establish PNE as a Premiership club.â€

Money Money Money its a rich mans world

Has become favorit tune of WBA manager lately, and Jan "the man" has managed to spend most of the TV money already...After confirming several free transfers. Leeds then went into administration which came in handy with money burning in my pocket, so 4 leeds players were added to the future transferlist as well. The summer signings are now:

1.Unknown FC from Bordeaux with decent stats, will become a squad rotation player.Free Transfer

2. unknown DL/C from spain with very good stats, could be a first team regular if he is ad good as he looks. Free transfer.

3. Zebescen from Leverkusen D/M R, experienced international player will clame an instant place in the first team. Free transfer.

4. Unknown DM R/C from bulgaria, a player for the future but if injuries hit my team he is good enough for PL action. Free transfer.

5.Eirik Bakke AM R/C from leeds, very strong midfielder and experienced player at the highest level. Will look for a place in the starting 11.Price 500K. icon_biggrin.gif

6. Seth Johnson DM L/C from leeds, another good player and he will claim the ML spot in the first 11. Price 100K icon_biggrin.gif

7. Ian Harte experienced LB, who will add depth to my squad, i have several good players for that position so he will have to fight for his place in the team. Price 100k icon_biggrin.gif

8. Alloway GK, great talent and proberly good enough to be my 1st choice keeper. Price 250K. icon_biggrin.gif

9. STR talent from south america, he looks very promising and has played well for ROMA in the Seria A this season, Free transfer, might turn out to be a real scoop.

10. Alonso from valencia, a very strong and powerfull striker, who will battle for a place upfront. Free Transfer

11. Unknown d/dm c good versatile palyer who is perfect for the bench as he covers many positions in the team.

Impressive list the manager thinks, and the team looks strong enough to survive in the PL. And the manger hope he will learn the palyers names along the way.. icon_smile.gif

Jan "the man" have recently put Koumas and Roberts on the transferlist, madness some might claim, but the manager thinks the new signings will replace them, and are looking to cash in on the 2 stars from this season. The combined value of the 2 are + 10m, so those money are more than welcome, cause the finaciel situation migth be a bit insecure with wages well above the budget and Many sign on fees to pay.

Several others may go as well, and if there is money left or players get sold, Jan the man will look for defenders or some flair wingers, to gain more tatical options than the current squad offers.

Fans Focus

A regular feature in your Number 1 Nottingham Forest Magazine. Have your say about what matters most to you about your beloved Forest. All letters published will see the author receive a keg of Amstel Beer. Letter of the month also gets entered into a prize draw at the end of the season and be in the chance of winning a box at the City Ground for the next season. Plus all leters published are given the once over by none other than City Ground Boss, Dez Wilkins and you'll read what he has to say on the burning issues dear to us the fans.

Champaigne moments

Mrs Wendy Doyle, 32 writes: Season is over and we are still in the Premiership. I can't believe it to be perfectly honest. We all dreamt that we could do it, but few, if perfectly honest with themselves, would have pinned much hope on it. Yet at times we were magic. The fantastic 5-5 against Arsenal was amazing. We were so close to an upset, but the 6-0 drubbing Man Utd gave us was much more realistic and showed how fragile we were at times. But yet towards the end of the season we started to get some results and open a gap between us and the relegation zone. I'd just like to say congratulations to all the boys and the coaching staff too.

The Gaffer says: We are all delighted to be staying the Premiership. Its what we have worked for all season, but we mustn't think this is the end. We need to keep working so that next season we can build on the foundations we have laid and push on from here. I think, with the support we have and the squad in place, this team can be one of the best in the land in the not too distant future.

Its like a Saive

John Jones, 14 writes: Why oh why is our defence so inconsistent? And why oh why are they so much more sound now. conceed 5 to Arsenal, 5 to Newcastle, 6 to Man Yoo, Just not good enough for the EPL. We was so strong defensively last season but were shown up early on. My question is, why did it take us so long to adapt and to start to look like the sound defensive unit we were last season?

The Gaffer says: Undoubtedly we have taken time to adjust. The teams you list as the high scorers, in all honest we expected to get beat by. Scoring 5 against Arsenal ourselves is no mean feat. Now our players have adjusted and the playing style has evolved to a level which is giving us positive results and keeping clean sheets, we will only get better.

The Weakest Link???

Stanley Davis, 26 writes: Were we really that relliant on the goal scoring exploits of David Johnson last season? He was brilliant for us in division one and we were all so sure his goals would be so important to our success in the top flight. His injury on the opening day meant we were without him and while Danny (Danny Invincible) and Marlon (Marlon Harewood) did their best, we were somewhat lacking in goals. DJ came back but was then missing for a lot of the time on international duty for Jamaica. He didn't really make his mark in the EPL till the last few games. I can't help but wonder what might have been, had we had a fit Johnson for the full season.

The Gaffer says: Undoubtedly the loss of David was a blow and was something perhaps we hadn't catered for. We learn from our mistakes and aim to have a stronger attaccking line for the coming season, I don't want to detract from the efforts of Danny, Marlon or indeed Craig (westcarr) though. They got some important goals between then with good support from midfield. We will however be looking to strengthen this area of the team in the off season,

*****Star Letter******

Here's to the future!!

Steven Blackwell, 21 writes: The new squad for the coming season already looks mouthwatering and the signing spree might not be over if reports are to believed. Damiano Zenoni, Julio Arca, Eric Carriere, Darren Purse and Shunsuke Nakamura have all been signed and everyone of them I would class as top signings. Certainly not just there to add number s to the squad. All in my opinion will be sure to be first on the team sheet when available. Add to that the hunt for a new forward. If he is as top class as the others already brought in then we are going to be a force to be feared next season. Names I have heard mentioned are Milan Baros and Dean Ashton. Either of them would be great acquisitions in my view. Can't wait to hear what developes.

The Gaffer says: I too am excited about the signings. They certainly have the credentials to help us cement our position in the league. I don't want to get carried away though as competition will be stronger than ever next season, but confidence around the club is high. More news on potential signings to help us solve the striker problem will be forthcoming, we'll all just have to wait and see.

Crewe limp to the finish line.

The Crewe ended the season with a win, but finished a mediocre 12th in the first division. While the Board and the fans were pleased with the result, Bulletsponge was deeply disapionted with the midtable finish.

" In sports, winning isnt everything, its the only thing. our season went downhill rifgt after Ashton broke his leg in the Sunderland matchup, and the rest of the team didnt step up to make up for his loss. Maybe thats why almost everyone on the squad is for sale"

With Ashton 13W 4D 9L 58goals

Post Ashton 3W 7D 10L 16Goals

"its obvious what this team needs, speed and talent. Ive landed a few good defenders in Francis and Raven, but the midfield and attackers need investment, particularly the left winger. Im currently eying a few players whos contracts are expiring, hoping to shore up and ship out some useless talent."

"And as for the rumor that Dez Wilkins was eying Ashton, well its true. ive been aproached off the record with a multimillion dollar deal with a player swap throw in. Needless to say i am hessitant to sell Ashton, as our record without him last year shows. but if a i can aquire a striker to replace him, i might just have to let him go icon_frown.gif"

stadium expansion disaster strikes

For some reason the borad decided to expand the stadium, and this was very sad news for the wage and transfer budget. Jan the man is left with a 750 k transfer budget and is 70k above the wage limit.

This means that many players simply have to go in order to steady the finance situation.

Of course the expansion is good in the long run, but the manager thinks it would have been better to use the money to secure a placein the Premier Ship with new signings and then waited with the expansion until next season. Afterall the capacity was 28000 and that is nt to bad afterall.

So basicly all transfers are put on hold until some players have been sold/loaned out.

So the new goal of the season is simply to stay alive, the optimistic thoughts of place in europe were silenced with the news of the expansion.

Forest's Close season is a busy time for Boss Wilkins

Not one to rest on his laurels, Boss Wilkins has been busy preparing for the coming Premiership campaign. Looking to build on the success of last season by cementing the side in the EPL and aiming to be more than just an "also ran" this term. We at Forest Focus, your number One guide to the City Ground Revival, met up with him at the beginning of July to see what plans were in the pipeline and what he thought of the coming season.

FF: Congratulations on the achievements of last season, has it sunk in yet?

Wilkins: Well, I had every confidence in our ability of the team, although we were a little shakey to start off with, after the initial half dozen games it looked like we might struggle. I'll be the first to admit we didn't set the world on fire, but then we didn't expect to. We are still here in the EPL and its a credit to all involved that we took on the mantle and ground out results. Not Brazil of '72 by any means, but we weren't the worst in the division by a long shot.

FF: Indeed, So you would have taken 15th at the start of the season?

Wilkins: Certainly, No. 1 aim was to be in the division come the start of this season, anything else was a bonus. We are a club moving in the right direction, but a similar finish this season wouldn't disappoint. We are a predominantly young side and if we can all stay together and improve as we mature. We'll only get better.

FF: yes it seems to be a trait for the club over recent years, one that you seem keen to carry on - Blooding youngsters, Except for the few summer signings made thus far aren't youngsters for the most part: Purse - 28, Carriere - 32 to name a couple. Whats the thinking behind this change of strategy?

Wilkins: Its not really a change of strategy. One thing I've been looking at from last season is at times we would loose our nerve. It can be daunting for some of the less experienced players going to Old Trafford, St James' Park or Anfield for example. If you are nervous it shows in your performance. While I think everyone at the club has a great future ahead of them, some of them at times showed their inexperience. These players have been there, they've seen and done it all, played on the biggest stages and know what to expect. They'll be able to add to the quality on show in terms of performances but also help to bring through the younger ones. They've got the ability and they will be helped ten fold by having some wiser, more experienced players around them.

FF: And what of the quest for a new striker, hows that going?

Wilkins: I think too much has been made of the striker issue. We have some great players already. I don't think people realise how lucky we are to have players like David Johnson or Marlon Harewood. We also have one of the brightest talents in the English game in Rugrat (Supat Rungratsamee). We may look to strengthen in this area, but only if we can find the right man at the right price. We aren't going to add to the team for the sake of it.

FF: So the rumours about Dean Ashton aren't true? Or the ones about Milan Baros coming to the City Ground to begin talks last week? We also heard you'd been over to Marseilles to look at one of their youngster, Are the media just getting ahead of themselves or is there any truth in these rumours?

Wilkins: We have spoken with Milan following his decision to leave Liverpool, it was an informal chat at the time and he has been down to see the set up. No deal has been put to him yet as we aren't planning on rushing into anything. Dean Ashton... well we'll see what comes of that. Again we haven't made any formal approach for him as of yet, but who knows.

FF: And the trip to the south of France?

Wilkins: Lovely this time of year, you should try it. (laughs) No seriously, It was a "working holiday." I went down there for a bit of a break, but also to see the youth set up down there. They have had phenomenal success in bring through youngsters and we just wanted to see if there was anything they are doing that we could do here.

You kind of get the impression from talking to him that all is not as it seems, There must be more truth to the rumours than he's willing to let on. Playing his cards close to his chest, but at the same time hinting at the future of Nottingham Forest. He wants us to know that our club is safe with him, but quite just what he has planned we will have to wait to see it unfold as we're getting nothing for definite out of him.

Who ever signs, we are in for a treat this season. Forest Focus Prediction: TOP 10 FINISH

WBA manager makes massive squad clearout

In order to boost the financies after the 9mill£ expansion, Jan The man started a massive clearout. So far we have said goodbye to Gregan, Sakiri, Koumas, Johnson, Haas, Harte and others, most palyers were a vital part of the division 1 winning side. Harte was only at the club for a short time though, Jan the man was sad to let him go, but a quick profit of 1,6m £ eased the pain.

With the massive sales, Jan the man again has money to spend and we are now 30k below wage budget. In the schock defeat 2-3 to man city in the first PL game, the defence looked poor and the aim is to bring in at least 3 good defenders before the tansfer deadline.

The debut defeat left the manager sleepless wondering what went wrong, maybe it is just all the new players 0r new tactics that needs to settle in, or maybe the tactic/players are simply not good enough, only time will tell, and if the first match is something to judge by, then it is going to be a very long season. And relegation might be a threat all the way to the end.

Dons - The future is bright

There was a refreshing breath of fresh air as MK Dons manager Rob Stone strolled into Wimbledons new 18,000 seater all seater stadium the "National Bowl" yesterday, finally the stress had died down, yes they were still heavily in debt to the tune of about 13.5m, but the new stadium would bring in some desperatley needed revenue, and revitalise the football on the pitch.

On the pitch things were just as bright. After an incredible previous season where a seemingly insurmountable 11 point gap from safety was cut down and the Dons survived by the skin of their teeth the suqad look excited, the atmposphere on the training ground is bright, and the new signings have been of immense quality.

Stone's attacking formation had been very effective in the first season, but in the second the Dons lacked any midfield steel with only Dennis Wise and Rob Lee who could do a job in their and this was cruelly exposed. For this season it was these positions that were paramount to improve for the Dons. In came Andy Todd, Jarko Wiss, Fletcher from bournemouth, and a swedish international. It was the loan signings that were the most impressive however. The capture of Millwall ever present Isaac Isbourne on loan for the season was an absolute steal, a man Stone boldy claimed was "the best CM outside of the premiership" Gavin Rae also came in from Rangers on loan, spurning the advances of Celtic to the shock of the delighted Dons boss.

A midfield of Pitt, Rae, Osbourne, and Mc Anuff would certaintly be up there with the best in the division and give the Dons a great chance at fighting for a place in the premiership. Alex Nyarko was also captured on a free transfer after his loan spell was cut short the previous season with a cruciate knee injury only 10 games in.

Up front things were looking just as bright with the capture of brazilian wonderkid Jô from sundreland, and the exciting Samba from Millwall. Both were captured on year long loan deals and Stone believes they have the potential to be the most deveatating strikeforce in the division.

Also signed to boost the up front options were Dean Sturridge on a free from wolves (11 goals in 13 games last year) and Bruce Dyer from Watford. Both players would add strength and power to the frontline when called upon, and would be vital for the season ahead.

Other players captured included Juni, a brazilian left back from arsenal, a very impressive centre back Steve Bletherwick who would go straight into the starting 11, Alan Dunne a great prospect from millwall at right back, and Knessi from Chelsea - an exciting striker.

With this squad wimbledon look to be going places, and if Pitt and Osbourne can stay injury free after their return from small injuries then the future for the Dons can be very bright indeed.

Prediction: Play-off place

Prodigal son returns to.....West HAM!!!

The London Times

He was touted for a return to Celtic,even to the premiership,but Scotland's prodigal son decided to go to First-Division promotion chasers West Ham, citing he wanted "a new challenge"

Here is our exclusive preview of the Hammers expectations for the coming season, and an interview with the former Celtic man:

Nationwide First Division

This is where they will be concentrating most on success, as a return to the premiership has been long waiting for the eastern London club.Despite the squad being fragile, with players like Defoe and most recently Carrick leaving,they are still touted co-favourites with five other teams,which makes reading for one of the tightest title races ever. The devoted Hammers croud want a return to the premiership,and they hope Donnachie is the man to do it.

English League Cup

After recently beating Hull in the first round,they were drawn against first division Barnsley.The prospects for them are mouthwatering,if they go through they could be drawn against a big team,producing money for this (just)afloat club.

English FA cup

Obvoiusly no ties drawn for them yet, but they have high hopes a decent run can propel them to greater things

Transfer market

Transfers - IN

Owain fon Williams

Mark Burchill

Transfers - OUT

Michael Carrick

These are the only concrete transfers so far.Money generated from the Carrick sale,has upped the budget to 3m for them,but they are only a couple of k in the green,so transfers may be lmited to the absolutely necessary.John Hartson and a few others have been touted for the West Ham revolution.All we can say is watch this space.

Statement from the Man-ager

"Very pleased to be here.Its an honour to be given the chance to return this excellent club to its former glory,and uphold its excelent history and tradition.Im a little shy to rush into bringing new players in,unlike my first division competitors,because financilly,we have just become stable,and I dont want to jeapordise that.Young Mark Burchill can do us a turn,and a new midfielder will arrive shortly,but there wont be any more,unless needed.I have high hopes for this season,but we may need time to get it right,which is a luxury we dont have atm.Nevertheless,a good cup run,and hopefully promotion,will mean a good season for us.

More updates soon

Forest in Flurry of transfer activity

The City Ground has been the focus of much transfer speculation over the summer months. A preseason that has already seen the arrival of several faces on free transfers at the start of July that saw Darren Purse, Eric Carriere, Shunsuke Nakamura, Julio Arca and Damiano Zenoni arrive. The transfer signings didn't stop there. Last time Forest Focus met up with the gaffer he was cagey about responding to the rumourmill about any other possible signings.

It turned out some of the potential targets we questioned him about turned out to be on their way to Nottingham. Ex-Liverpool hitman Milan Baros was the first of the rumbled signings to turn out to be a Forest player, the Czech ave signed a 3 year deal to help provide a the much needed goal threat. He will be teamed up with former Leeds striker, Michael Bridges. The cash strapped Yorkshire club deciding to part ways with the lad from the north-east just to cut the clubs wage bill. Also arriving from Leeds for an undisclosed fee (believed to be around the £100k mark) is England goal keeping supremo, Paul Robinson. This takes the total of goal keepers signed in the last two season to 4, surely spelling the end of the road for Myhre and Arason Who's shot spells have been less than successful.

Nine players signed in the summer then, but this wasn't to be the last. Remember we reported on the "Working Holiday" Wilkins took? It turned out to be more than that. Young French starlet, Samir Ben Said Nasri has been signed and if reports are to be believed he is definitely one to watch. Since arrining in England, Wilkins has been singing the praises of this 18 year old, dubbing him "The King. "Lightening quick and a tricky dribbler of the ball. Definitely one to watch." Quied the forest boss.

He had to wrestle him from the grasp of the Sheffield United boss, however. After the lad agreed to move to Bramall lane following Zigson's lucrative contract offer. A princely sum of £1.25m was payed to the Nationwide club in order to secure his services, with the possibility of a further million depending on performances. This is compared to the £250k the Blades paid for him.

The reported advances for Crewe striker, Dean Ashton don't seem to have turned up any new developments, with either Crewe being unwilling to sell or, more likely, Wilkins found he had better options available and pursued those avenues instead.

Expectations are high for this season. 10 new signings, a squad fit to go places - we are now looking like a team strong in all areas. We have tried to put together what we consider to be our best side based on Wilkins' most popular tactic, 4-3-1-2 formation. This is what it looks like to us.

GK. Robinson

DR. Zenoni

DL. Arca

DC. Dawson

DC. Morgan

MRC. Cariere

MC. Wehrman

MLC. Reid

AMC. Nakamura

RFC. Bridges

LFC. Baros

There isn't even room in that team for David Johnson, Danny Invincible, Christian Nerlinger and many others from Wilkins' first two years in charge. The squad looks stronger and is certainly bigger. Should be much better equiped to handle the pressure a few injuries may bring or the demand a good cup run could have on a smaller squad.

A host of players have been loaned out to make sure as many players get first team football. Most noteably Marlon Harewood Its not certain at this stage, but it might be the last Forest fans see of Harewood. It is believed Sheffield United have been given the first refusal on Harewood whist he spends his season on loan there.

Crewes season begins

Boss Bullets gets about 500K transfer budget, add that to the 175 left over and he has 675 to play with. thats the only good news to come out of the preseason. Bullets made about 7 offers to free agents, and they all found reasons to go to other teams, it seems no one want to join a rebuilding squad of young punks.

"God i despise this team of underacheivers. wait a minuet, were off the record right?"

asked why he had such highexpectations of the team when everyone else would be happy with staying in div 1 he said " exscuse me? are you saying we shouldnt try to win every $%*!@# game? that i should expect mediocrity from my team? i play to win the games, thats our &^*@! job, not to put up a "good showing" as you tommies call it"

"im currenty hoping for a WP for a colombian goalie, cause i swear Hoult is jerking off when his at goalie. no seriously jerking off, how else can you explain why so many balls fly by him. and the ones he does get a hand on slip thru them into goal."

"As for this season, i have 650K to spend, and if someone catches my eye i might spend it. as a matter of fact there is one person im keeping an eye on, that would be an excellent addition, and im praying i will get him."

"who is it?"

"None of your &^@!%$* business! Do you have any idea how hard it is to build a winner in the pathetic town? nobody want to play here, Simon Francis wants to leave and nobody want to come in."

the season started with a win in league and league cup games, but then went downhill from there. in the next game, up 11 men to 9 Crewe couldnt even manage one pathetic score on their home turf. they then went on to loose thier next 4 games. finnaly they won again and then tied Ziggy at Sheffield unt.

"Every morning i look in the newspapers to see what jobs are available, hoping one opens up for me to take. if the players of fans knew how much i hate this club i would get canned. wait, your not recording this conversation are you?"

when asked why hes still coaching Crewe if he cant stand the team he said " how the hell do i know, cause im american and nothing would feel better than one day taking a crappy team with a bad stadia and winning the EPL. And then Gloat in the faces of all my european competitors in the EPL. that and im secretly looking for WMDs in England, but thats a secret. is that a tape recorder in oyur hand?.... ohhh F**K

West Ham manager pleads for time after average start

After 1 win,5 draws and two losses,West Ham manager Anthony Donnachie asks for time for his new recruits to gel with each other.Allan Grant,Joe Gold,Supat Rungratseme,Mark Burchill are among the new faces at Upton Park,and the manager said "Manchester United took time with Ferguson,West Ham will take time with me."

The start has been nothing short of average,with draws the most frequent result so far in the league.They sit comfortably in mid-table,poised to rise to the top,or fall to the bottom. The manager took time out to build up two of his new signings:

"I have watched them countless times before,know their strengths and weaknesses,and they will be the driving force in my team,no doubt.Allan is a pacey,experienced winger,who can set alight a game in seconds if he wanted.Joe Gold is an exceptional midfielder,who's positional play is excellent,and his driving runs forward are a real threat.If they perform to their ability,all the other players have to do,is score."

He pleads with the fans to be patient,and get behind the team,as things are set to get better,if the team use their undoubted ability.

more updates soon

WBA manger remains confident

A good recent run, has secured a position just below the top in the division, relegation is not an issue at the moment, with a 9 points gap to the the relegation spots.

After the teams peformances against Newcastle (2-0 at home) and Man U 3-3 away, the manager is more than confident:

"not only were they good results but the display of football was very satisfying, in fact the 3-3 was an unlucky result for us in the end, after we missed a handfull of sitters. But if we can produce that kind of performances against top teams, then i expect many victories against the lesser sides of the premier league. My goal is european footbal next season"

the manger staed in the latest press release.

West Ham on the up!

West Ham have continued their excellent league run,to propel themselves into a decent league position.With their last three games ending in two wins and a grity,hard-fought away draw,the future look positive for The Hammers.

Ten games unbeaten,they are beginning to fulfill their potential the manager promised with his new players and the ones he inherited:

"I'm very pleased.We have to keep this run going,especially our home games,as we are still unbeaten there.The league looks to be so competitive this year,anyone could finish anywhere.It's that unpredictable.If Jerome(Thomas) and Joe(Gold) keep performing,we will maintain our form,I am confident."

He then went on to explain the situation with John Hartson and Savo Milosevic:

"John's transfer looks doubtful.Celtic accept our transfer fee,but John just isnt prepared to drop from European football every year,to Division 1 and beyond.We are still plodding away to try and get him,but it looks doubtful.Savo Milosevic has agreed terms and desperately wants to come,but the authorities have refused a work permit.We have appealed,and are hopeful we will eventualy get one."

More updates soon

Crewes season takes an unexpected turn for the better

After a poor start with 1 win in the first 6 games, Crewe rattled of 5 straight wins to propel them into the playoff hunt. 2 draws and 2 losses followed the hot streak and left many fans wondering if Crewe shot thier whole wad in the run.

" I have full confidence in my boys that they will pull through this little rough patch and make a run at the playoffs. they just need a little motivational reminder." right after Bulletsponge made that remark O'Connor and Scofield were sold for cash. Crewe responded with 2 wins in their next 3.

Crewe landed a member of Irelands national team on a free transfer (cant think of his name), and are looking to sign 2 more players if a price can be agreed upon between the clubs

Finnigan sacked by Burnley, appointed manager of Third Division Luton

After Burnley's dismal performances in the past two seasons, with the Clarets being relegated to the Second Division last season, manager Joe Finnigan was finally sacked in mid October. Many people were surprised that the Burnley board had waited so long before ending Finnigan's reign as manager at the club. Burnley were in a stable midtable position in Division 2 after slipping down the table rapidly in the weeks before Finnigan's sacking, but after a long run of disappointing results the board had finally had enough of their manager. David Seaman was appointed his successor, where he will get his first taste of management experience.

It was only a month later when the ex-Burnley manager had found another club, as Finnigan was appointed manager of Luton who were languishing near the bottom of Division 3. He was expected to take Luton to a respectable league position by the end of the season - and he had the chance to prove himself as his very first match in charge of Luton was at home to league leaders Swansea. He certainly did that, as his new team put in a fantastic performance to beat Swansea 3-2, with the home side always looking the stronger of the two teams. Luton failed to win in any of their next 3 games however, with defeats against both Bristol Rovers and Rochdale and a 2-2 away draw against Hull in the FA Cup second round - they will meet in a replay in one weeks' time.

Veteran midfielder David Batty had moved to Luton from Burnley before Finnigan's arrival at the Division 3 club, after Batty had been sold to Luton in mid November. Joe Finnigan also completed the signing of Marc Hand from Shaun Kelly's Sunderland side, with Finnigan signing the midfielder on a free transfer. The Luton squad is fairly strong and if performances like the one against Swansea are repeated throughout the season, Luton are likely to consolidate their place in Division 3 with the middle of the table very tight with only a small number of points separating the middle cluster of teams in the division.

New Strike-force not the answer????

The new season is well underway and despite the new signings goals have been hard to come by for Nottingham Forest.

Milan Baros has so far registered 5 league goals in 14 league appearances, plus 2 in the league cup. Damian Johnson has the next best tally of 2 goals from 8 appearances, and the other supposed goal threat is Michael Bridges but he has only managed a solitary goal all season. All of which has left Forest in a somewhat precarious situation of being 17th in the EPL only 4 points above the relegation zone. They have taken only 16 ponts from the first 15 games, with only 3 wins. Not what many fans would have been hoping for. averaging less than a goal a game something has to be done to change it round.

Stats Central

Not pretty reading for the Forest faithful but nevertheless hear are the results and player stats for the season so far.

17th in English Premier Division

Fixtures

| | | | | | |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| Sun, 17.7.2005 | 15:00 | A | Bristol City | Friendly | 2 : 0 |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| Wed, 27.7.2005 | 19:30 | A | Dunfermline | Friendly | 1 : 1 |

| Sat, 30.7.2005 | 15:00 | A | Rushden | Friendly | 1 : 0 |

| Wed, 3.8.2005 | 18:00 | A | Wirges | Friendly | 2 : 0 |

| Sat, 6.8.2005 | 18:00 | A | Offenbach | Friendly | 0 : 2 |

| Tue, 9.8.2005 | 18:00 | A | Wuppertal | Friendly | 2 : 2 |

| Sat, 20.8.2005 | 15:00 | H | Tottenham | Premier Division | 0 : 0 |

| Wed, 24.8.2005 | 19:30 | A | Norwich | Premier Division | 1 : 0 |

| Sat, 27.8.2005 | 15:00 | H | Portsmouth | Premier Division | 0 : 0 |

| Sat, 3.9.2005 | 15:00 | A | Preston | Premier Division | 0 : 0 |

| Sat, 17.9.2005 | 15:00 | H | Southampton | Premier Division | 1 : 0 |

| Sat, 24.9.2005 | 15:00 | A | Newcastle | Premier Division | 1 : 1 |

| Tue, 27.9.2005 | 19:45 | H | Mansfield | League Cup 2nd Rnd | 2 : 0 |

| Sat, 1.10.2005 | 15:00 | H | Man Utd | Premier Division | 0 : 1 |

| Sat, 8.10.2005 | 15:00 | A | Liverpool | Premier Division | 0 : 1 |

| Sat, 22.10.2005 | 15:00 | H | Fulham | Premier Division | 1 : 0 |

| Sat, 29.10.2005 | 15:00 | A | Arsenal | Premier Division | 0 : 3 |

| Wed, 2.11.2005 | 19:45 | H | Millwall | League Cup 3rd Rnd | 1 : 1 |

| Sat, 5.11.2005 | 15:00 | H | Blackburn | Premier Division | 1 : 1 |

| Sat, 12.11.2005 | 15:00 | A | Millwall | Premier Division | 2 : 3 |

| Sat, 26.11.2005 | 15:00 | A | Middlesbrough | Premier Division | 3 : 3 |

| Sat, 3.12.2005 | 15:00 | H | Aston Villa | Premier Division | 0 : 0 |

| Sat, 10.12.2005 | 15:00 | A | W.B.A. | Premier Division | 1 : 4 |

</pre>

| Pkd | Inf | Name | Apps | Gls | Asts | MoM | Pass | Tck | Drb | Sh Tar | Av R | Value |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| | Req | Arason, A | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | ---- | £925K |

| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| DL | Sus | Arca, J | 15 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 59 % | 5.15 | 1.76 | 42 % | 7.20 | £3.1M |

| FC | Inj | Baros, M | 15 | 7 | 2 | 1 | 72 % | 1.31 | 1.24 | 62 % | 6.87 | £6.25M |

| | | Bridges, M | 7 (4) | 1 | 1 | 0 | 70 % | 0.71 | - | 66 % | 6.55 | £1.4M |

| AMC | | Carrière, E | 11 (3) | 1 | 2 | 0 | 62 % | 2.39 | 1.49 | 50 % | 6.93 | £1.1M |

| DC | | Dawson, M* | 17 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 67 % | 3.87 | 0.17 | - | 6.65 | £3.2M |

| SB5 | | Gardner, R | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | ---- | £1.5M |

| SB2 | Wnt | Gunnarsson, B* | 5 (4) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 75 % | 2.64 | - | 100 % | 6.67 | £2.7M |

| | Lst | Invincibile, D | 4 (4) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 62 % | 0.81 | 0.61 | 54 % | 6.88 | £5.75M |

| FC | | Johnson, D | 7 (1) | 2 | 0 | 0 | 67 % | 0.68 | 2.21 | 83 % | 7.00 | £3M |

| | | Louis-Jean, M | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | - | - | - | - | 6.00 | £650K |

| SB3 | | Marinelli, C | 1 (3) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 80 % | 2.37 | 0.95 | - | 6.50 | £2.3M |

| DC | | Morgan, W | 7 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 71 % | 3.43 | 0.57 | 100 % | 6.86 | £1.6M |

| | Inj | Nakamura, S | 10 (1) | 1 | 2 | 0 | 66 % | 1.54 | 0.31 | 75 % | 6.36 | £3.7M |

| MC | | Nerlinger, C | 5 (3) | 0 | 1 | 0 | 66 % | 1.79 | - | 66 % | 6.50 | £500K |

| | | Oyen, D | 2 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 75 % | 3.00 | 2.00 | - | 7.00 | £1M |

| MC | Inj | Partridge, R | 8 (4) | 1 | 0 | 0 | 40 % | 3.58 | 2.77 | 40 % | 6.75 | £3.7M |

| SB1 | | Poulter, R | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 60 % | - | - | - | 6.00 | £925K |

| | | Purse, D | 6 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 78 % | 5.36 | 0.18 | 100 % | 7.50 | £2.1M |

| MC | Unh | Reid, A* | 11 | 0 | 2 | 0 | 67 % | 2.71 | 1.35 | - | 6.73 | £5.25M |

| GK | | Robinson, P | 16 | 0 | 0 | 4 | 49 % | - | - | - | 7.50 | £2.9M |

| SB4 | Wnt | Thompson, J | 4 (2) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 68 % | 2.81 | 0.19 | - | 6.83 | £1.5M |

| | | Wehrman, K | 14 | 0 | 3 | 1 | 72 % | 3.00 | 0.29 | 63 % | 7.00 | £7.75M |

| | Inj | Williams, G | 1 (1) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 61 % | 2.67 | 1.33 | 100 % | 7.50 | £2.4M |

| DR | | Zenoni, D | 16 (1) | 0 | 0 | 0 | 57 % | 4.75 | 0.43 | 75 % | 7.00 | £4.4M |

| | | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

By KUBI: IPSWICH TOWN REPORT

Second seasons was the first full season I was in charge as Ipswich Town Manager.

After avoiding relegation in the first season I did hope that I can make some improvments and reach a save midtable position. I contracted some young strikers, as well as Chapuisat, the most shocking signing of the season, as I heard a lot of laughter about it. Any, he is a Swiss player and he was brilliant over several years, so I am proud that he will play hes last seasons for Ipswich.

The start wasnt that good. Some red cards and an injury of Taribo West told me that my squad is still not that good to compensate long term injuries of good players. (And yes, I have some good players) West and Leigertwood two very good central defenders, a midfield with players like Wright, Westlake and Messam, a surprising signing, as he is Jamaican and hadnt played for Jamaica ,ebore he joined me. A very promissing midfielder, so is Rory May a young (and cheap) striker. But my best signing was Junior the talented brazilian forward from Derby. It took some time to adjust my tactics for him, and he is not the player with the best consistency, but when he is playing good, he rocks.

Ipswich was on place 20th when I changed my tactics. Dont want to go into the looney debate here, but for sure I did make about 10 extra points playing it. Surprisingly Ipswich climed into a region where playoff smell is in the air. But I must say, that I am happy to play first division again next season, as my team isnt that good to compete in the PL. I played my custom made tactics in the last games without the looney and I am proud that my team won the last two games against Wimbledon and Sheffield United, with a amazingly Junior and a wall called West/Leigertwood. Chapuisat scored 5 goals and was always a good substitute striker, but for the new season I will play more of the young players I gathered in the last couple of sessions. I am sure that I'm on the way to have a good team who maybe challenge again for playoffs in season 3.

KUBI

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BY KUBI: IPSWICH TOWN REPORT

Ipswich on top of the league

It was the best run since I got the job as Ipswich manager. 7 games won in row and climbing the table from a low mid-table place into the top three.

Now the clubs is earning what I would name as a step-by-step move into better times. In two years I built up a team that is cheaper than the team was, as I started at Ipswich. A lot of good young players, like midfielder Messam or defender Leigertwood or winger Stewart Downing who is a brilliant counterpart to Neil Wainwright in the right side of the pitch. Considering that there are players like Jermaine Wright on the bentch at the moment, together with the two young defensiv-midfielders Alassane N'Dour and Arnar Gunnarsson Ipswichs midfield is the best in the first divison this season I think.

Another example of how I deal with transfers: Leeds did make a offer for striker Darren Bent, offering a lot of money and the two players Matthew Kilgallon (defender) and Jamie Vincent (striker). I didnt hesitate a minute as I am sure that those players will add depht and talent to my squad.

I also loan in two players who can make the diffrence in some games: Striker Crouch and Swiss Youngster Tranquillo Barnetta, a very talented midfielder who can play every (attacking) position in the midfield.

My winning streak ended as my assistant was in charge and Ipswich was defeated 1-4 by Conventry. But there isnt a dominate team in the first div. this season. And so two wins later Ipswich is the first time number one in divison 1 since years. And I am looking forward to play against Manchester City in the League Cup Quarter Final.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wimbledon.JPG

Wimbledon in playoff hunt

What seemed unthinkable six months ago when Dons manager Rob Stone resigned with his team destined for division 2 is now a distinct possibility.

With the best home record in the league, they are yet to lose in their new stadium after 10 games, a playoff spot is only 3 small points away and they would be even higher if it had not been for their abysmal away form.

Recently the team has improved, with Samba being sent back early from his season long loan spell to make way for the impressive portsmouth left back Nicky Shorey, and Hugo Porfirio sacked only 8 games into his Dons carreer for a "serious breach of contract"

Another necessery move in the transfer market included the free capture of Cedric Berthelin -an impressive keeper.

Berthelin arived in what looks like being an inspired piece of bussiness due to the awful form of previous number one Gianluca Pagliuca and has since taken the Italians number 1 spot with some very strong performances.

Jo, who recently had a second year confirmed for his loan spell has been just as impresive, hitting an incredible 17 goals in 15 games to the delight of Stone.

With Gavin Rae and Issac Osbourne forming a teriffic partnership in the middle, and McAnuff and Darlington raiding the wings the future is looking very good for the Dons. With star player Courtney Pitt returning from a long term injury soon, and McAnuff producing the form we all knew he was capable of the Dons midifled wouldn't look out of place in the premiership and should be the match of any division one side.

It's certainly not a pipe dream with only 3 points seperating the Dons and 5th place, but unless their away form improves and some kind of consistancy is attained it will be a struggle.

PNE – Up or down?

It has been quite a start for the Premiership campaign for the Preston North End. The season started very well. Couple of wins and relegation battle changed for the quest of the European place. Maybe this was the problem. Everything looked so good that no one saw the trouble ahead. Now Preston finds itself at the bottom half of the table and it’s going to be a touch and go season.

“We played like pro’s in the first few games. We scored a lot of goals and our defense looked solid. We were feeling too good about ourselves and this is penalty you have to pay. Nothing comes free in the Premiership. You have to fight for every point and that’s what we have been lacking. We have to get our spirits up and start fighting as a team.â€, said Ossi Saarinen the managed of PNE.

Preston managed to snatch players like Francis Jeffers and Saliou Lassisi in the close season. Lassisi has been injured for the most of the season and Jeffers is far from his best form. They both have what it takes but there is still room for improvement.

“Jeffers hasn’t been the fox in the box like Wenger said. He started well but faded very quickly. Cresswell and Fuller are playing well in the forward and I don’t want to change that combination. Jeffers will get his chance.â€, Saarinen said.

Saliou has already confronted Saarinen, because of the lack first team games. “Saliou was injured and I wanted to give him couple of games in the reserves. Saliou reacted too strongly for this but I also se this as a positive sign. He wants to play in the first team, he wants to help the first team. This is all I ask.â€

Again time will tell what is going to happen in Deepdale.

Archived