[FM10] The Rise of 'The Matyrs'

SJ234

Merthyr Tydfil F.C.

Merthyr_club_logo.png

The club was formed in 1945, and joined the Welsh League. In their first season, they finished as runners-up, and joined the Southern League. The club were immensely successful in their first few seasons, winning the championship in 1947-48, 1949-50, 1950-51, 1951-52 and 1953-54. In the 1947-48 championship winning season, Merthyr only dropped one point at home (against Colchester United) and only lost four games all season. However, despite their success, the club failed to be elected to the Football League. The 1950-51 season ended with Merthyr winning the Southern League, the Welsh Cup, the Southern League Cup and the Welsh Challenge Cup.

After bouncing between the various Southern League divisions during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, the club finally won their sixth championship in 1988-89, making them joint Southern League title record-holders together with Southampton. This time, winning the championship meant promotion to the Football Conference, the fifth level of English football. The club finished ninth in their first two seasons, and then fourth. However, they then went into decline, and were relegated back to the Southern League in 1995, and have remained there since. They should have been relegated a season earlier, but were reprieved when Northern Premier League champions Marine failed to meet the stadium criteria for the league.

Being a Welsh club playing in an English League, Merthyr Tydfil were able to play in both the FA Cup, and the Welsh Cup until the Welsh FA stopped the Welsh clubs in the English pyramid from entering.

The club's best FA Cup performance has been to reach the second round, which they managed in 1946-47 (losing 3-1 to Reading), 1954-55 (losing 7-1 to Bradford City), 1973-74 (losing 3-0 to Hendon), 1979-80 (losing 3-1 in a replay with Chesham United) and 1990-91 (losing 5-1 to Woking). The only time the club managed to defeat a Football League club in the FA Cup was in the first round of the 1946-47 cup, when they beat Bristol Rovers 3-1.

The club were considerably more successful in the Welsh Cup, which they have won on three occasions; 1949 (beating Swansea City 2-0), 1951 (beating Cardiff City 3-2 in a replay) and 1987 (beating Newport County 1-0 in a replay). In addition, the club finished as runners-up in 1947 and 1952.

After winning the final in 1987, the club were allowed to enter the European Cup Winners' Cup. In the first round, they were drawn against the Italian club Atalanta. The club managed a win in the first leg at home, beating the Italians 2-1. However, the return leg was lost 2-0, and the club were out.

Currently, the club's biggest rivals are Gloucester City. The two clubs have played over 120 times in their history, making it the most played Anglo-Welsh derby in football. Historically Newport County were local rivals but the teams have not met in the same league for many years.

Merthyr Tydfil

Blue Square South-2010/11

League We started poorly, but when we got going we were unbeatable.

Transfers Lots in, lots out.

Squad Goals from all areas of the pitch.

Selected Profiles:

Taylor Key goals from the wing, not sure he will be able to step up.

McShea Too good for this level. Class act.

Keatings Gave us goals from midfield.

Hunter The star of the defence.

Career Overview

Season League Final Pos. Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11 Blue Square South 1st Automatic Promotion

[/Code]

• 2 weeks later...

Merthyr Tydfil-Blue Square Premier 2011/12

League Table-Impressive preformance from the newly promoted team. We never looked like failing to challenge for the Playoffs however the teams at the top of the table where way too good for us when ever we played them so we finished where we deserved too.

Transfers A few of them where very good such as Morris and others were not as impressive such as Atkinson. Overal I am happy to have strengthened where I needed too.

Squad They played well as a team, however goals were lacking and also we failed to really impress against the big teams. The big issue with the squad is the wages which will have to be cut as my finances are shot so the big earners will have to go.

Key Players

Noble- Was strong at the back and was consistant which was something some of his fellow squad members lacked.

Morris- The perfect CB for this level he could easily play at League 2 level imo, will have to fight off clubs in the summer to keep him.

Mcausland Scored the goals but if I am honest he isnt the most natural goalscorer also he came 2nd and 1st in the goal of season competition with two identical mazy dribbles.

Craig- It took me a while to work out how and where to play him but when I did he was superb

Career Overview

Season              League               Final Pos.          Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11       Blue Square South             1st              Automatic Promotion                                   
2011/12       Blue square Premier     5th              Play offs-

• 2 weeks later...

Merthyr Tydfil-Blue Square Premier 2012/13

League Table We should have walked it but Histon kept going and then also kept beating us. We got a chance to secure the title on the last day as all we had to do was win but we drew due to Subotic's goal for Sutton. Play-off Semi 1and 2

Fa cup We lost out to a far superior Crewe team.

Transfers The mass clear out of the team. It allowed me to rebuild and to sort out the wage budget and balance issues.

Squad Good strong squad.

Key Players

Mcshea Good player who was played across the front, the majority of his appearences came on the right where he would inflict great damage on the opposistion.

Morris The star of the defence once again, he was a rock.

Reynolds The ex-pompey defender was good but not as good as I hoped

Wilson What can I say? The academy product was the star of the team, top player could go quite far

Brown Not quite in the same league as Wilson but still a star, he played on the left wing or upfront as he seemed unable to play well in the hole behind the striker.

Career Overview

Season League Final Pos. Achievements
2010/11 Blue Square South 1st Automatic Promotion
2011/12 Blue Square Premier 5th Lost in Playoffs
2012/13 Blue Square Premier 2nd Promoted via Playoffs

2010/11       Blue Square South             1st              Automatic Promotion                                   
2011/12       Blue Square Premier           5th              Lost in Playoffs
2012/13       Blue Square Premier           2nd              Promoted via Playoffs

Good luck, fairly successful start you've made so far! :)

2012/13       Blue Square Premier           2nd              Promoted via Playoffs

Good luck, fairly successful start you've made so far! :)

Thank you, I am very greatful :)

Merthyr Tydfil-League Two-2013/14

League Table- Good safe midtable posistion however it promised so much after we won 2 out of 3 of our first games scoring 8 goals in the process

Transfers It promised so much but in the end I wasn't able to sign player who I needed to make this a back to back promotion.

Fa cup we made the fourth round against Leyton Orient who deystroyed us but we were able to beat Scunthorpe in the replay in the 3rd round which was a great achievement.

Squad No one impressed really we struggled for goals at times or would then struggle for defensive solidity.

Career Overview

2013/14       League Two                    13th             N/A

Next season:

Rebuild the team and push for the play offs but I may have to break the bank to find players of a standard who could push the club on.

Congratulations on reaching the football league.

Good luck for League Two next season.

Nice to see another Welsh team doing well. (Even if it is FM :))

If I Complete the challenge I would love to manage Wales but it will probaly me more challenging than the challenge :D

Nobby :D

• 2 weeks later...

Merthyr Tydfil-League Two-2014/15

League Table Should have won but my defence was a bit weak. If we had won our last two games we would have won the title.

Transfers The first time that I have spent money on Mcdermott the ex-arsenal prospect, due to him being ex-arsenal I am aware of how good he can be. Otherwise generally good dealings.

Squad Good allround preformance except the centre of the defence was weak.

Fa Cup Perfect is the only word which can be used to describe this as we were able to sort the finances perfectly.

Key Players

Wilson The academy graduate was superb again he really is a star.

Wiafe Danquah Great signing as it suited the new formation of the wide midfield diamond. He was top scorer I believe and really made the difference.

Pope Pope was straight from the academy and he proved to be another star and this was an unexpected bonus.

Mcdermott The first Goalkeeper I have been happy with.

Ferguson Great left wing if a bit inconsistant

2014/15       League Two                    3rd              Promoted

What Next?

Mid table finish with a bit of luck

You'll be the top team in Wales soon.

Well cardiff have recently been relegated to league one so overtaking them is within reach whilst Swansea are still in the Champ. I must admit I expected one of them to have reached the Prem at least once

Merthyr Tydfil-League One-2015/16

- What a surprise, I honestly entered this season with the belief that I would be struggling to get a mid-table posistion as I wasn't quite content with who i signed. However it was a great achievement and one I am very proud of.

- I wasn't intially happy with these as I worried I was lacking quality as the board were poor were not giving more freedom regarding scouting or budget so this meant I had to do a lot of trialling which is were Jank came from. but after the season got underway it was clear these were excellant additions. The best signing was Bostock closely followed by Baker.

They clicked and were brilliant in attack and the defence proved to be strong enough aswell.

Another good tie however the everton result was my fault as I wasn't paying attention so we kept attacking :o

Key Players

He was superb, again, he made the difference in lots of games as he returned to his first season exploits.

The academy graduate was impressive again.

He really is a top player at this level

He was the difference between us and the rest as he scored lots of key goals and drove our promotion charge. I can't believe he wasnt played more by Colchester

I had tried to sign this guy a couple of seasons a go but he was too good for us. However once I saw he was on a free I offered him the large wages required and he really helped the defence.

2015/16       League One                    1st              Champions

What Next?

To survive

• 2 weeks later...

Merthyr Tydfil-Championship-2016/17

League Table- A superb season, I really wasnt convinced we would survive but instead we ended up challenging

Transfers- Some very good ins and outs as I made good use of my small budget. It was sad to see Baker go as he is a very good player

Sqaud A strong squad who were able to exceed expectations

Key Players

Renan- Way too good for this level, he should be at one of the big clubs but he had no contract and my scouts spotted him so I signed him very quickly

Pope He stars once again, he really is star

Ferguson- He still does a job on the wing

Chovanec- A rock at the back of a weak defence

2015/16       League One                    1st              Champions
2016/17       Championship                  6th              Playoffs

What Next?

To push on

• 2 weeks later...

I should get this closed but I got there and did well which I must admit was a bit crap as it meant we grew too quickly so I had to make huge spending splash to do well the following year as we had scraped into the Europa league but after this my game refused to load :(

Archived