*** CMS/FMS meetup, Groningen, 25-27/28 June 2004 *** *SPOILERS*

Raptor

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

Well, say hi from me. Good luck the two of you. icon14.gif

And with that, I'm off to bed... got some sleep to catch up on icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Enjoy icon_smile.gif I'm off soon too. And thanks icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Snellink:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harleqin:

Oh, and I got a big welcome at the airport when I landed. The Denmark squad landed five minutes later icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you kick their asses? icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Czech's have already sorted that

I too am back at my home having decided to leave my Uncles early

Stopped off at the trafford centre for lunch and to swap those dodgy euros back into proper money

The status for me is apt allthough the Dutch cheating ******* was upto his old tricks once more but you'll have to wait until i get the report typed up for this years dubious rules from euroland

IT WAS A FOUL. GET OVER IT. URS MEIER RULES icon_biggrin.gif

got home safe and sound icon14.gif

thanks once again to the dumb dutchman for putting us up (and putting up with us) nice to meet you all.

pleased with one part of my new status (i really did OWN raptor at air hockey - and no doubt it will make a huge impact on my write-up)

i had an excellent time (and i got the impression others did as well) and it was made all the better for the number of times we got to laugh at rap icon_biggrin.gif

unexpectedly met mark snellink as well, very funny bloke icon14.gif

anyways, i'll leave the rest for the write-up

oh, and

YAY! Gerrard *officially* staying at anfield icon14.gif makes me look like an idiot for telling dave on the train from groningen to schiphol that i was convinced he would leave. but at least i'm a happy idiot.

oh, and something else i forgot to mention which i promised to say: raptor's reputation for not being able to hold his drink has now been firmly smashed. he drank his fair share and we didn't have to carry him home once icon14.gif

Welcome to Raptor’s Pink Bedroom – A CMS Invasion of Groningen

Starting out on a writing career does not exactly pay well, meaning that I had to scour Easyjet.com for their cheapest flights to Schiphol. And so it was that at 4.30 in the morning on Friday 25th June 2004 I rose heavily from my bed in to get ready for my stupidly early 7.00 am flight. Stupidly, I expected that a flight at such an ridiculous time of the morning would be relatively quiet, that was until I noticed the length of the check-in queue when I arrived at 6.00 and realised that we were going to be packed in like sardines icon_frown.gif

Arriving twenty minutes late at Schiphol (well, I was flying easyjet, I couldn’t exactly expect to be on time) I promptly received a text from Mark (Raptor) saying that he had just picked up Keith (John O’Shea=Here to Stay) at Rotterdam and would be with me inside the hour. Having forgotten to bring any reading material, I wandered about the city-sized airport before perching myself on the edge of a big red and white coloured block in the middle of the foyer, which seemed to serve no purpose other than looking ugly. I failed in my bid to fend off sleep and when I awoke I caught a glimpse of something orange running towards me and had just enough time to regain my composure before having my hand enthusiastically shaken by Mark (the explanation for the orange being the Holland shirt he was wearing which proudly sported the slogan ‘Anti EU – 100%’ across the back). Keith sauntered up 30 seconds later in the same laid back manner which I had first encountered back in Edinburgh in 2002.

We had 3 or so hours to kill before Jesper (Harleqin) and Dave (OMDave) arrived from Copenhagen and Brussels respectively and it was spent wandering around the airport talking about nothing in particular.

Once the other two had been collected and introductions had been made, we trudged off to find where the mark-mobile had been dumped. After the ice had been broken by laughing at Mark taking a good few minutes to manage to open his car, we wedged ourselves in and proceeded to laugh even further as realisation dawned that our wonderfully intelligent moderator had thrown away his ticket for the Schiphol car park and kept the useless one from Rotterdam. Abandoning us whilst he ran aimlessly around the lower level of the car park, Mark returned having somehow procured another ticket icon_biggrin.gif

Once in Groningen, it was straight to Raptor’s suburban mansion where luggage was dumped and the (crap) lager started flowing as we settled down to watch Greece embarrass France. A Dutch friend of Mark’s (Franz, if I remember his name correctly) had come along to show us around the city’s nightlife. The first port of call was a bar which housed both pool and air hockey tables. I had bet mark a pint of Guinness that Franz would beat him in a best of three hockey match and I was proven correct as Franz walked away with a 2-1 victory. Noticing that they still had a game’s worth of credit left, I challenged Keith to a game and promptly stuffed him 9-5 icon_cool.gif The challenge was then thrown to Mark but he could not live with my vastly superior skills as another 9-5 victory came my way icon_cool.gif Feeling confident from my success, we made our way to the pool tables and I expected to more than hold my own. The teams were settled as Europe (Franz, Jesper and Mark) vs. Britain and Ireland (Dave, Keith and myself) with each person playing everyone else. I started badly with a loss to Mark and never recovered icon_frown.gif

The Europeans led 2-1 after the first round of matches when I took to the table for my encounter with Jesper. Starting brightly, I reached the black with the Dane still needing to pot three but was entirely unable to work myself into a potting position. With Jesper having caught up, we then spent 15 minutes pushing the black around the table, making it impossible to pot before I tried a tricky cut, missed completely and potted it in the wrong pocket, meaning Jesper took the point. Luckily, Keith and Dave had won leaving the score at 3-3 into the final round. Now playing Franz, I repeated my good start to reach the black in plenty of time, but unfortunately suffered the same fate of potting in the wrong pocket to give Europe a 4-3 lead. Keith had taken the fight to Mark and was ripping him apart (but still found time to moan relentlessly about Mark ‘changing’ the rules mid-game) and the score was tied at 4-4. Dave vs. Jesper would decide the winner and it was close, but our Marseille man sneaked home to give the home nations a superb win icon14.gif

We made our way round various clubs, drinking small glasses of differing (crap) lagers and being amazed by the number of gorgeous women on show. As the night came to a close (somewhere around 4.30) we exited our final club. Mark led us out, but didn’t realise that a glass door had been closed across the exit. Quite comically, he walked nose first into it as we stood back and laughed icon_biggrin.gif Franz and Mark took advantage of odd Dutch delicacies from odd Dutch vending-machine-in-wall-type-thing which puzzled Keith completely. A limo-type taxi was needed to accommodate us all as ferry us back to the mansion where we promptly collapsed as the early-morning birds began to sing.

I managed the honour of raising last from the depths of my slumber (somewhere around mid-day) and was greeted by the sight of everyone else looking far better than I felt (*******s). Football was on the menu for the afternoon and we headed off to procure a ball from Mark’s brother. On a small pitch with small goals (an advantage to my team as I was nearly as wide as the goal itself) Keith, dave and myself once again teamed up to teach those Europeans a thing or two. Keith managed to shake off his tag of being as energetic as the statue of liberty as he moved a total of ten feet during the entire match, but only ever to foul Mark of ‘accidentally’ kick Jesper in the groin. My magical moment levelled the scores at 4-4 as I played keepy-uppy before flicking the ball onto my head and nodding it past Mark and Jesper into the goal (well, it was about time I scored one after firing well wide from point blank range about six times). Dave secured the win (again) before we all collapsed in a heap on the pitch icon_cool.gif

Another game saw Jesper provide his memorable moment of the meet-up as me, him and random dutch kid set about losing to Keith, Mark and Dave. A poor cross from Mark was sent straight towards Jesper’s grasp but the Dane found it all too easy to imitate fellow countryman Thomas Sørensen with a stupendous ****-up, dropping the ball into his own net icon_biggrin.gif

It was then time to head off to the city centre to watch the Holland vs. Sweden match. Being the lazy ******* that I am, I found myself a chair whilst those around stood and watched as Holland managed to squander countless chances, making Mark swear louder and louder in his native tongue. The excitement when they thought Van Nistelrooy had scored was nothing compared to that when first Ibrahimovic missed his penalty in the shoot-out and then local hero Robben netted. The place went nuts to put it mildly. After letting Mark recover from a near heart-attack, we headed off to a club where the night was spent listening to the Dutch sing something about being champions. In the later hours we met up with Mark’s youngest brother (another deluded Groningen fan) who proved himself, as we said at the time, to be far cooler than Mark himself icon14.gif

Sunday saw Keith leave us (which meant no more moaning about pool rules) and Mark Snellink arrive (though I had gone upstairs to make a few phone calls and inadvertently fallen asleep, so was completely unaware that he was here until I found my way downstairs to be met be someone who I had never seen before). Having only vague recollections of his as a CMSer, I had little idea what to expect but he proved to be a very funny man icon14.gif Mark (Raptor) beat us all convincingly at bottle football (but has failed so far to mention that he and Jesper were beaten in the team match by Snellink’s brother and myself). The less said about the painful experience of watching Denmark go out of Euro 2004 to the Czechs the better, to be honest icon_frown.gif Although it did give us the chance to consume more (crap) lager. A multiplayer CM game was started (for no apparent reason) and it may yet appear as an online game in story form.

Once again I managed to rise last on Monday morning as I readied myself to leave along with Dave and Jesper. A two and a half hour train journey to Schiphol passed surprisingly quickly as the time was spent with pleasant conversation, mainly focusing around political matters icon14.gif After saying good-bye to the two at the airport, I had a mere four and a half hours to wait for my flight. A book (‘Bleachers’ by John Grisham) was bought and demolished in three hours and another (‘Digital Fortress’ by Dan Brown) was bought and started. An enjoyable flight home (far less crowded this time) was ended with a frosty reception from my girlfriend at the arrivals gate icon_frown.gif (she had only found out on Thursday night that I was going away) and, to be honest, that’s the reason why this write-up has appeared so quickly.

Anyway, all in all, a great time was had by those present and after the continued success of CMS meet-ups to date, there are bound to be many more to come over the next years.

Class summary there, enjoyed reading it icon_smile.gif

I wish Id been there to experience the first two days and show my vast superiority in air hockey and my extermely shyte pool skills icon_biggrin.gif

I'll elaborate more on the bottle football (one of the best footy games ever invented icon_biggrin.gif)

We started off using empty (glass) bavaria bottles, and I started off by knocking Alexander's (my brother) bottle upside down, but not smashing it. After repeating this action twice (victims: Mark and Jesper if memory serves correctly) Simon was rude enough to smash my bottle way beyond repair, thus I was out. Second later, my brother's bottle suffered the same fate at the hands of Simon, who mere seconds later managed to punt it miles wide of I believe either Jesper's or Dave's bottle from point blank range. Then Raptor proceeded to smash Jesper's and Dave's bottle, and blatant arrogance saw Simon's bottle smashed by a shot between the legs from last man standing Mark de Vries.

Then the team game kicked off using plastic coke bottles. Dave chose to sit this one out with some water, so the teams consisted of Raptor and Jesper, Simon and Alexander and a solo team consisting of me alone, with the legendary words 'I can take the lot of you alone'. I nearly had to eat those words as a failed assault on the bottle of Jesper and Mark lead to me losing the ball and being miles away from my own, which left Alexander with an easy finish, clearing about half of my bottle's contents.

Then, in a sort of ganging up matter, with a few brilliant actions from me and a fair bit of luck, I knocked the Danish-Groningen partnership's bottle down three time, leaving their bottle almost empty. I then switched my attention, and after a few close escapes both for me and for Simon/Alexander, Simon played the ball high towards me using the sidewalk, I controlled it and hoofed the ball straight through their bottle, and nearly emptied it at once.

After succesfully fending off a few of Mark 'Robben' de Vries's attacks, I passed all four opponents in a rather lucky and stumbling fashion, to give Mark and Jesper the 'coup de gras', which saw them leave the pitch after a very good and attacking game. Now my task was to break through the defensive bastion that wer Simon and Alexander, who at one point just blatantly surrounded their bottle, leaving no opening whatsoever. A swift dribble and a powerfull shot followed, blazing just past their bottle, but sadly finding mine saw me scoring an own goal and effectively knocking myself out.

CMS Single player bottle footy champion: Raptor

CMS Multi player bottle footy champions: Simon and Alex, with some help from me icon_biggrin.gif

Guys, I had a lot of fun with you, and I hope to see the lot of ye again icon_smile.gif

Guest Zijlstra

I hope these Groningen meetings are regular, I am very curious about this as I live about twelve kilometres out of Groningen icon_biggrin.gif when I have time I will read through the topic icon_biggrin.gif what the hell did you guys do, other than watch France get dumped out of the Cup and drink loads of beer in the Groote Griet?

Glad to see everyone's got home ok.

Thank you very much Mark for a great week-end, and I can confirm here that your reputation for not being able to hold your drink is obviously unfounded, though I think perhaps you get a little ahead of yourself by claiming to be the soberest one back at the house... icon_razz.gif

Great reports Simon and Mark S. Really enjoyed reading those.

Enjoyed meeting all of you, and had a great week-end icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OMDave:

Hey, where's _my_ status? icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its there, you just can't see it through all the smoke icon14.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

Well, there's even more smoke now, and funnily enough I can see it, whereas earlier I couldn't -more wizardry from Groningen's best-loved neighbour, no doubt icon_wink.gif

Very kind in any case, pity I kept only a little of the skill and nothing of the fitness. Thanks again for an excellent time, Mark, I shall now endeavour to promote the faultless hospitality of Fri(e)slanders wherever I go icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ericcantona7:

Still don't understand this 'bottle football'

Hope I meet Raptor's bro icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean Rap's Little Little brother as he has two the other was in Germany when we were there

Archived